Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 278 guests

Post #471961  Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:40 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Pete on the beach wrote:
Now I know you won’t agree , and I don’t expect you to , but it’s a matter of opinions , and believe it or not yours isn’t always the definitive one

I realise my opinions are my own and I respect yours even when I don't agree with them (I often do, especially about Wenger). But come off it about Mancini. He was worse than Ian Ure, who I know you don't like because of the Swindon final. For me he pushes Jeff bloody Blockley outside my worst ever Arsenal team. I think he was a big reason we were close to relegation in the mid-seventies, not the reason we avoided it.

There were other problems in that squad not just Mancini it was ageing on the one hand and in experienced with the young Irish lads , as you say it’s opinions , but seeing as o Leary is on record as saying how much Mancini helped him (way back) and I don’t recall any other players from that squad coating him beyond the fact thst he wasn’t the most skilful some of us have a case.

Seeing as you’ll fight to the death on this if it carries on let’s just agree to differ

Post #471962  Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:14 pm 

Pete on the beach wrote:
but seeing as o Leary is on record as saying how much Mancini helped him (way back) and I don’t recall any other players from that squad coating him beyond the fact thst he wasn’t the most skilful some of us have a case.

Did O'leary say that? If so it couldn't have been anything more than showing him what not to do. Perhaps the reason is polite professionalism. How often did players publicly slag off team mates? Sorry, I saw Mancini and know just how useless he was. I also saw Ian Ure and Jeff Blockley and know they were better (or less bad if you'd prefer it that way round). I use the word 'know' in the context of knowing Messi is better than Nasri.

He was great at presenting the Christmas Big Match, or whatever the ITV highlights show was called in those days. I accept he could have made positive contributions off the pitch. What I'm talking of is his rubbishness on the pitch.

Post #471963  Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:20 pm 

Did anyone see the financial figures released today?

Down £25m odd by not playing champions league. £137m cash reserves in the bank and a pre tax profit of £25m which included the £58m sales of players this summer but doesn’t include any deals we did in jan.

Shows probably how poorly we are doing on the commercial side and how we are paying huge wages to an average squad

Post #471964  Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:43 pm 

Pete on the beach wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Actually the only time I saw him was on Match of the day or the big match whatever was on TV here. But I can say that without him and Young we would have gone down. He was not very good but he tried and was able to defend properly. Something that appears to allude a few of our current players. If someone like Alan Clarke lifted his elbow into Chambers Kos or Mustafi face they would still be crying during practice the next day. Mancini may not have been great but he helped keep us up and was as tough as nails.

He could probably still pop down to our training pitch and still scare half our current squad. I am assuming he is is still with us. He wore the Arsenal jersey with pride.

Young was after Mancini , they never played together , the team young played in was never in danger of going down

Shows you how your memory fades with age. My recollection of the time was that we looked like we were gone but the manager in desperation went to Mancini. In any case we actually stayed up unlike teams such as Man U around that era. Thanks Dennis Law.

Post #471965  Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:50 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
I think the video in this article shows how bad the journalists are at questioning Wenger.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43222872

They keep asking him if he is leaving at the end of the year which he would clearly and obviously never answer when surely the question needs to be something like ...

"Arsene you must be disappointed with how this season has gone and your consistency during the campaign would you acknowledge some of what you have seen is not up to standard "

He never gets took to task that we are a mess and this simply isn't good enough

I've met a few football journalists. A number of them are idiots and some of the others are just a-holes. Amy Lawrence was absolutely lovely though

Post #471966  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:18 am 

Wenger is disgustingly defensive about himself. He has not woken up yet.

http://global.espn.com/football/arsenal ... s-cup-loss

Post #471967  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:52 am 

Bernard wrote:
Pete on the beach wrote:
Now I know you won’t agree , and I don’t expect you to , but it’s a matter of opinions , and believe it or not yours isn’t always the definitive one

I realise my opinions are my own and I respect yours even when I don't agree with them (I often do, especially about Wenger). But come off it about Mancini. He was worse than Ian Ure, who I know you don't like because of the Swindon final. For me he pushes Jeff bloody Blockley outside my worst ever Arsenal team. I think he was a big reason we were close to relegation in the mid-seventies, not the reason we avoided it.

It really makes me laugh when someone who's moaned about Mertesacker plenty of times, and enjoys mentioning a goal he blames on someone slipping over against Tottenham, starts supporting Mancini. I know that isn't you. But Mertesacker and Clichy were both miles, hundreds of miles, better than the useless Mancini. And today until now I haven't even mentioned fans' reactions to his only goal against Wolves, which I remember vividly.

No need to re visit this one ..... I proved it last time out with the stats he was a major factor in us avoiding relegation .

Bertie Mee who was a hell of lot closer to the action than you were ....... said the same .

Now of course you don't like Bertie Mee either so that's going to lead to another little mini froth at the mouth .

Plucking names out the distant past to bolster your case Gus Caesar , Geoff Blockley , Ian Ure ..... who's up next Tommy Caton , Paul Mariner , Stepanovs , Les Compton

Pete on the Beach is right , Gaz got the Young connection awry but he is also in the main right .

You and Wenger could well be twins , obstinate , stubborn , love Germans , irrational , can't be told anything , won't listen to reason , repeat the same thing over and over ...... the similarities are endless

Post #471968  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:09 am 

Decaf wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
and you'd be most welcome John we seem to sing from the pretty much the same hymn sheet I can brush up on 'Bread of Heaven ' sprinkle Boyo into every sentence .

How is Tauranga Girl .... ?

Shame about your Dad , really old people have less capacity to change .

I used to listen to the radio 9 am Sunday morning ....." This is the BBC , here are the British Football results , League Division One Aston Villa 2 Ipswich Town 3 ... the tone of his voice told you the result before the score .
Higher it meant the second team won , lower they'd lost , nuetral it was a draw . A loss used to ruin my Sunday .

Remember the wife and I were travelling through the Ureweras [ rugged bushland ]
Wife "why are you going so fast "

.... "because I want to get to the summit of this hill there is no radio reception down here ".

Made it 3 minutes to 9 , pulled over , had a 1962 PB Vauxhall at the time , tuned in the radio ...." here are the British Football etc etc blah blah

Tottenham Hotspur 0 .... beaut at least we got a draw ....... ARSENAL 5 ...... hee ha ..... sadly now I think 'Oh whatever '

Very entertaining. It would have made a good script for an episode of The Flintstones, actually. :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen1:

Thank you , thank you

....... Jeez pretty dramatic events in your locale Big Boy ... confiscation of all white farmland with no compensation .

At first I thought that's a bit rough , then went on to think well the English and Dutch grabbed it in the first place .

Still looking next door to Zimbawe maybe that isn't such a great idea . Civil war ...?

Post #471969  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:12 am 

An interesting interview for onlinegooner, arsenalfantv and other fanzines to do is to try and get Josh Kroenke to give an interview. Make it a soft one. Don't go in, just gauge his knowledge of the club, the sport, etc, to get an inside peak of how he will likely manage the club when his old man croaks.

Post #471970  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:40 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Very entertaining. It would have made a good script for an episode of The Flintstones, actually. :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen1:

Thank you , thank you

....... Jeez pretty dramatic events in your locale Big Boy ... confiscation of all white farmland with no compensation .

At first I thought that's a bit rough , then went on to think well the English and Dutch grabbed it in the first place .

Still looking next door to Zimbawe maybe that isn't such a great idea . Civil war ...?

It is dramatic. The current constititution allows expropriate with fair compensation. This is reasonable enough. But the ANC has botched land redistribution badly through inaction and failing to support emerging farmers. Agriculture in SA remains dominated by whites to a ridiculous degree. Zuma also landed them in it with his 'radical economic transformation rhetoric'. It is empty rhetoric but it has opened them up to being outflanked on the Left, and Julius Malema has gleefully exploited this.

But not that dramatic. The international media and so-called financial experts like to invoke the 'Zimbabwe' bogey. But what is likely to happen is a carefully considered constitutional amendment that will allow for expropriation without compensation in very specific circumstances. I suspect that the ANC is alarmed and wants to contain radical and populist pressure. They are not at all interested in revolutionising the countryside. Neither is Malema, really.

Post #471971  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:16 am 

Bernard wrote:
But come off it about Mancini. He was worse than Ian Ure

Ah, but did Mancini lead us to glory like Ian Ure.

Who can forget our triumph in Quizball. That was the first trophy that I ever saw us win.

https://readtheleague.com/the-big-featu ... ball-story

Post #471972  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:46 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:
But come off it about Mancini. He was worse than Ian Ure

Who can forget our triumph in Quizball. That was the first trophy that I ever saw us win.

A Quizball victory would be good. Expectations need to be revised downwards ... The only issue is, would it take the pressure off Wenger?

Post #471973  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:10 am 

Decaf wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

A Quizball victory would be good. Expectations need to be revised downwards ... The only issue is, would it take the pressure off Wenger?

It could never be recorded now. Wenger would spend too much time arguing with the producers and quizmaster.

Post #471974  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:14 am 

[quote="Decaf"][quote="long time gooner"][quote="Bernard"]But come off it about Mancini. He was worse than Ian Ure[/quote]

https://readtheleague.com/the-big-featu ... ball-story[/quote]
A Quizball victory would be good. Expectations need to be revised downwards ... The only issue is, would it take the pressure off Wenger?[/quote]
Ian Ure was great in Quizball. Who else was in the team? Didn't they always have the manager? If so Bertie Mee would have been in it. But I can't recall the other players (were teams four or five in number)? Whoever the others were, Ian Ure made us a one man team.

If they still had Quizball, Wenger would only have strikers in team. Preferably short thickies. No intelligent defenders would be selected.

EDIT: Just opened the link. Terry Neill and Jimmy Young as the guest fan were in the team.

Post #471975  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:33 am 

[quote="kiwipete"]
No need to re visit this one ..... I proved it last time out with the stats he was a major factor in us avoiding relegation .

Bertie Mee who was a hell of lot closer to the action than you were ....... said the same .

Now of course you don't like Bertie Mee either so that's going to lead to another little mini froth at the mouth .

Plucking names out the distant past to bolster your case Gus Caesar , Geoff Blockley , Ian Ure ..... who's up next Tommy Caton , Paul Mariner , Stepanovs , Les Compton

Pete on the Beach is right , Gaz got the Young connection awry but he is also in the main right .

You and Wenger could well be twins , obstinate , stubborn , love Germans , irrational , can't be told anything , won't listen to reason , repeat the same thing over and over ...... the similarities are endless[/quote]
You proved nothing. A big fat zero. Bertie Mee was the manger who nearly got us relegated, and a big reason for that was him signing Mancini. So I couldn't give a toss if he tried to justify that signing by claiming otherwise.

Post #471976  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:35 am 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Ian Ure was great in Quizball. Who else was in the team? Didn't they always have the manager? If so Bertie Mee would have been in it. But I can't recall the other players (were teams four or five in number)? Whoever the others were, Ian Ure made us a one man team.

If they still had Quizball, Wenger would only have strikers in team. Preferably short thickos. No intelligent defenders would be selected.

I see what you mean. Not only would Wenger would pick a team more suited to a poetry writing competition, I would expect lots of sideways passes ...
Quizmaster: what's the tallest mountain in Bangladesh?
Xhaka: Mesut?
Özil: er I can't think of anything that rhymes with 'Ganges', over to you Henrikh.
Mkhitaryan: back to you Mesut?
Özil: Andes ... candies, pansies ... over to you, Hector
Bellerin: Petr?
etc.

Post #471977  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:39 am 

In the same vein from an even earlier time. One of my childhood 'treats' was to go to Bertram Mills circus held at Olympia. Utterly tedious. The only think of interest was the dog football match where they chased a ball into a net. One side was Arsenal and one Tottenham, and we always seemed to lose.

The organisation of the dogs was somewhat akin to what we see now from our current band of players.

Post #471978  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:40 am 

long time gooner wrote:
In the same vein from an even earlier time. One of my childhood 'treats' was to go to Bertram Mills circus held at Olympia. Utterly tedious. The only think of interest was the dog football match where they chased a ball into a net. One side was Arsenal and one Tottenham, and we always seemed to lose.

The organisation of the dogs was somewhat akin to what we see now from our current band of players.

:laughing7:

Post #471979  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:46 am 

Wonder why the posts I've quoted today when writing a post myself haven't come out in yellow?

Post #471980  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:48 am 

Bernard wrote:
Wonder why the posts I've quoted today when writing a post myself haven't come out in yellow?

Odd. When I quoted your last post your quotes came out fine.

Post #471981  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:00 am 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Perhaps Rog might explain. Let's see if your one comes out in yellow.

EDIT: Yes it did this time. Maybe it was something I didn't do right with the previous two?

Post #471982  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:36 am 

Wonder when a decision will be made whether to postpone or play tonight's City game?

Post #471983  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:53 am 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

EDIT: Yes it did this time. Maybe it was something I didn't do right with the previous two?

Rog's assistant for the day says it could be because you never closed the quote. Click quote when you start AND when you finish. That's when you use the little quote thingy not the one at the bottom of the post.

That must be worth a few zero's.................

Post #471984  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:23 am 

Bernard wrote:

"Quite frankly, I'm amazed I still have to answer these kinds of questions".

:6encouragement:

Post #471985  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:57 am 

kiwipete wrote:
john1 wrote:

Ah Tauranga - lovely place so I'm told.

Remind me to ask for your address when the apocalypse comes Pete; you sound like a handy chap to have around. Might need help with translations though :icon_rabbit:

and you'd be most welcome John we seem to sing from the pretty much the same hymn sheet I can brush up on 'Bread of Heaven ' sprinkle Boyo into every sentence .

How is Tauranga Girl .... ?

Shame about your Dad , really old people have less capacity to change .

I used to listen to the radio 9 am Sunday morning ....." This is the BBC , here are the British Football results , League Division One Aston Villa 2 Ipswich Town 3 ... the tone of his voice told you the result before the score .
Higher it meant the second team won , lower they'd lost , nuetral it was a draw . A loss used to ruin my Sunday .

Remember the wife and I were travelling through the Ureweras [ rugged bushland ]
Wife "why are you going so fast "

.... "because I want to get to the summit of this hill there is no radio reception down here ".

Made it 3 minutes to 9 , pulled over , had a 1962 PB Vauxhall at the time , tuned in the radio ...." here are the British Football etc etc blah blah

Tottenham Hotspur 0 .... beaut at least we got a draw ....... ARSENAL 5 ...... hee ha ..... sadly now I think 'Oh whatever '

Tauranga girl doing well thanks - struggling with overloaded beds and the hundreds of old folk with the winter flu, combined with trying to study for her surgeon's exams.

I remember playing the results game off the telly with my grandad; if I guessed the score right I'd get a bubble gum or highland toffee out of his sweet tin.

I blame him and the commentator (for making the scores so obvious) for what my dentist calls my 'heavily restored teeth'. Caps and fillings abound, and I can't blame the fluoride!!

Post #471986  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:16 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Regarding warrior's article about Ian Wright not backing Wenger, I'm not surprised. If someone were to ask who will be the first Arsenal legend that Wenger managed to 'crack' and publicly back a sacking, I'd put my money on Wright every time. Tony Adams has had issues with Wenger but I doubt Big Tone would publicly state he should be sacked. It's not him. Pires left on salty terms but he wouldn't either.

I'm sure these guys whisper among each other. "the gaffer has lost the plot". But they won't say it publicly, out of respect for Wenger and the club who did so much for them but also because they fear the fans would turn on them perhaps.

You can sense the frustration, even veiled anger at times from a variety of former Arsenal players who do a bit of punditry or in interviews. Parlour, Merson, Henry, all the way down the line.

They will critique the players for not fighting for the boss but I'm sure privately they are saying the boss has lost the dressing room.

Think you're probably right on that score. They worked with Wenger day in day out and many like him at a personal level. Wenger still deserves to go though and anyone who defends his.abilities nowadays is a bloody mug.

Post #471987  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:19 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Daz wrote:

When boasting of your arse delivery service, it would be prudent to do so with half-decent punctuation.

The thing is, Mancini as a central defender was even worse than kiwipete's punctuation. Far, far worse. By pretending Mancini was anything other than absolutely abysmal just makes someone look idiotic. Mancini actually keeps Jeff effing Blockley out of the starting eleven for my worst ever Arsenal team. That's how bad he was.

Who is in goal of the worst?. Lukic or Fabianksi

Post #471988  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:25 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
... and also!

He's also had enhanced pay rises at every contract renewal with no gap in employment where other clubs would have booted him for his management style. 21 years of successive salary without any gaps. He's made about 80- 100 million out of Arsenal

This wasn't Moses leading Israelites out of slavery. We were a football club before he arrived

..... *%^@*** hell actually is it even worth discussing this prat anymore

No. Fans should stop the self flagellation of turning up to shite matches. Yes the tickets are "sold" but imagine what empty seats will do to commercials and brand (the only thing that *%^@ Kroenke cares about.

Post #471989  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:31 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
I think the video in this article shows how bad the journalists are at questioning Wenger.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43222872

They keep asking him if he is leaving at the end of the year which he would clearly and obviously never answer when surely the question needs to be something like ...

"Arsene you must be disappointed with how this season has gone and your consistency during the campaign would you acknowledge some of what you have seen is not up to standard "

He never gets took to task that we are a mess and this simply isn't good enough

I'd prefer a question like "the defending and general shape of the team is a *%^@*** mess. What do you intend to do about it?"

Post #471990  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:34 pm 

warrior wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Get on with it - it's why you're paid more than Wenger!! :icon_mrgreen:

Post #471991  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:36 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Actually the only time I saw him was on Match of the day or the big match whatever was on TV here. But I can say that without him and Young we would have gone down.

What a load of bollocks. Mancini was a reason we nearly went down, not why we didn't. By the way, Match of the Day and The Big Match highlights gave you a completely wrong impression. Mancini and Young never played together. Terry Mancini left in 1976 and Willie Young joined in 1977. So don't try and put our avoiding relegation in the mid-seventies down to their partnership. They were never a partnership.

Open question cos i have no idea who Manvini was but him vs Djourou...Senderos. Squllaci, Santos? Feck me we've had some shite defenders.

Post #471992  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:42 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
An interesting interview for onlinegooner, arsenalfantv and other fanzines to do is to try and get Josh Kroenke to give an interview. Make it a soft one. Don't go in, just gauge his knowledge of the club, the sport, etc, to get an inside peak of how he will likely manage the club when his old man croaks.

He will manage it exactly as he has been raised. He will bleed it dry oike every other one of his assets.

Post #471993  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:42 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Open question cos i have no idea who Manvini was but him vs Djourou...Senderos. Squllaci, Santos? Feck me we've had some shite defenders.

And not forgetting Stepanovs :20hospitals:

Post #471994  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:44 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Bernard wrote:
The thing is, Mancini as a central defender was even worse than kiwipete's punctuation. Far, far worse. By pretending Mancini was anything other than absolutely abysmal just makes someone look idiotic. Mancini actually keeps Jeff effing Blockley out of the starting eleven for my worst ever Arsenal team. That's how bad he was.

What are you on about, Lukic was an excellent keeper and the fans protested vociferously when Graham bought Seaman.

Post #471995  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:49 pm 

Decaf wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Thank you , thank you

It is dramatic. The current constititution allows expropriate with fair compensation. This is reasonable enough. But the ANC has botched land redistribution badly through inaction and failing to support emerging farmers. Agriculture in SA remains dominated by whites to a ridiculous degree. Zuma also landed them in it with his 'radical economic transformation rhetoric'. It is empty rhetoric but it has opened them up to being outflanked on the Left, and Julius Malema has gleefully exploited this.

But not that dramatic. The international media and so-called financial experts like to invoke the 'Zimbabwe' bogey. But what is likely to happen is a carefully considered constitutional amendment that will allow for expropriation without compensation in very specific circumstances. I suspect that the ANC is alarmed and wants to contain radical and populist pressure. They are not at all interested in revolutionising the countryside. Neither is Malema, really.

And surely Zimbabwe with a million percent inflation is not something any would megalomaniacs would want to emulate

Post #471996  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:52 pm 

warrior wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Me too...
Instructions:

Press 'quote'
Type message
Select 'submit'

Post #471997  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:00 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Neither. Richard Wright or Almunia. However, at least Wenger dropped the former when he flopped. Installing Manuel as no.1 despite all the evidence that he wasn't up to it was a sign of Wenger's losing it.

Post #471998  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:01 pm 

Daz wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

What are you on about, Lukic was an excellent keeper and the fans protested vociferously when Graham bought Seaman.

If he was excellent then why replace him?

Post #471999  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:05 pm 

Decaf wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Neither. Richard Wright or Almunia. However, at least Wenger dropped the former when he flopped. Installing Manuel as no.1 despite all the evidence that he wasn't up to it was a sign of Wenger's losing it.

Yeah didn't include Wright cos he was always a stopgp. Almunia was pretty bad too. Feck me weve had some shite goalkeepers. :laughing7:

Post #472000  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:06 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Daz wrote:

If he was excellent then why replace him?

When asked that very question, Graham replied:

John is a great keeper. I just happen to think David Seaman is better.

He was right and it was the kind of attitude that is sadly lacking when it comes to our manager especially when it comes to keepers.

[ 559787 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11797, 11798, 11799, 11800, 11801, 11802, 11803 ... 13995  Next