Fixtures Sunday July 12th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 4:30 Pm

Kick-Off

       Injuries                    Steve Gleiber



Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:29 pm

All times are UTC


  


Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests

 
Post #506601  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29219

Everton caretaker Manager, Duncan Ferguson after a goal. LOL...he is over the moon.

_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506602  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 15980

Greeny wrote:
Rich wrote:
So if Leicester, Newcastle, West Ham, Villa, Brighton, Bournemouth and Arsenal all sacked their managers and all went for the same manager you don’t think Arsenal would be that manager’s first choice?

Take all the points you’ve made in favour of the clubs above; big stadium, massive fan base, good academy, sleeping giant, chance to create something special and that all applies to Arsenal!

What I'm saying is that now the gap is closing.

I hope The Arsenal would still be everyone's first choice, but that's only from my point of view, but I'm not sure that Arsenal is a clear favourite now, and the difference between them and us is now paltry.

A couple of years of mid-table mediocrity and there will be no discernible difference.

To an extent I agree but big clubs remain big clubs - how can Leeds attract a coach like Bielsa. Leeds have been outside the top division for 15 years, even dropping down to the third tier. Their size and history as a club makes them a far more attractive proposition because the ceiling is so much higher if someone can get it right. That’s why Arsenal will remain a more attractive proposition than any of those clubs you’ve named for a long time.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506603  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:36 pm
Posts: 2028

Cracking game between Chelsea and Everton, Everton 2-1. Like a cup tie with big Dunc on the sidelines roaring them on. Remember when football was fun?

_________________
'At Arsenal it was always the same 8 or 9 who stayed behind after training. And I guarantee if you do that you'll become a better player'


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506604  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 am
Posts: 8972

Ash wrote:
Cracking game between Chelsea and Everton, Everton 2-1. Like a cup tie with big Dunc on the sidelines roaring them on. Remember when football was fun?

3-1 now


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506605  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 15980

Everton sack their manager. Next game Everton 3-1 Chelsea. Work rate doubled, concentrated, professional - new manager bounce simply because the players are motivated.
We’re the only team in the league who can’t muster a response to anything. We’re sat feeling sorry for ourselves and not willing to work hard to get out of the slump.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506606  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 am
Posts: 8972

gooner7 wrote:
Aubameyang is not Captain material. I think he wants out. Sadly :20hospitals:

We need to rebuild anyway... I wouldn't mind seeing an attack made up of Pépé, Martinelli, Saka and Nelson. Not necessarily all four all the same time though.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506607  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 15980

Greeny wrote:
Rich wrote:
I’m no fan on Kronke and his lack of ambition but quite simply the money has been there and if it had been better spent, with a better manager and with a much clearer vision from the footballing side of this club then there is no reason why we wouldn’t be up in the champions league spots.

Given the money spent there is absolutely no doubt in my mind the team should be doing better than they are irrespective of Kronke.

If we’d managed player contracts better and swallowed our pride when having to sell players, or got proper prices for sold players, we could have had another £200m to play with from the likes of Sanchez, Ramsey, szczesny, Gabriel, wilshere and countless others allowed to go for free or cut price.

And if we hadn't spent vast amounts of money on poor quality players.
And if we hadn't spent money on the wrong positions.
And if my Aunt had bollocks...

Too many "if's"

Reality is we have a very poor set-up now in place, both with the playing staff and the non-playing staff

That will take years to resolve. And proper money.
Best example - Özil

The original point was whether Arsenal are an attractive place for a manager compared to other mid table clubs. My point was look at the money that has been spent, any potential manager would want a slice of that. What manager would prefer to be scraping around in the championship for £5m players rather than having £30m to spend on a player.
And any new manager will back themselves not to make the mistakes of their predecessors.
For me it’s simple, Arsenal will remain a more attractive proposition that the likes of West Ham and bournemouth!!! That goes for players and managers. An awful lot needs to happen for that to change.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506608  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29219

Thank you Everton. Although at this point it looks like Chelsea will still take the 4th spot unless Tottenham or Man Utd can make a go of it.

_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506609  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:36 pm
Posts: 2028

Greeny wrote:
Rich wrote:
Everton sack their manager. Next game Everton 3-1 Chelsea. Work rate doubled, concentrated, professional - new manager bounce simply because the players are motivated.
We’re the only team in the league who can’t muster a response to anything. We’re sat feeling sorry for ourselves and not willing to work hard to get out of the slump.

And you think a manager would want to try and sort that mess out?

And even if a decent one did, how long would he be given by our fans?

I can see the attraction of managing The Arsenal, but there are many, many negatives


We just need some decent CB’s. Would cure so much. Crucially Everton have a couple of decent CB’s and just out worked Chelsea today. Mustafi was brought in as our solution last week. Mustafi. Not there was a lot of other choice.

_________________
'At Arsenal it was always the same 8 or 9 who stayed behind after training. And I guarantee if you do that you'll become a better player'


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506610  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29219

3 things may happen when all is said and done with this Liverpool side and yes, its early days but still, it is very possible. 1. Our invincible season will be matched with a far greater number of points. 2. Our 49 match unbeaten streak may be extended even into the 60s possibly. and 3. Manchester United fans won't like this but this side may very well be dubbed not just the greatest PL side ever but the greatest first division (which essentially is all divisions) side ever.

Again, I wouldn't be shocked if Liverpool wins 30 matches and draws 3 or 4 for the rest of the season. I can see them winning all the domestic trophies, a feat no one has ever done as far as I know.

I know...I know...its too early for all that AG, we're barely in December with the holiday fixture congestion coming up. I hope, no, pray they lose soon. It's not going to happen today.

_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506611  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29219

Goonie wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
Aubameyang is not Captain material. I think he wants out. Sadly :20hospitals:

We need to rebuild anyway... I wouldn't mind seeing an attack made up of Pépé, Martinelli, Saka and Nelson. Not necessarily all four all the same time though.


I want to base our team selection not only on talent but give a greater consideration to commitment. Özil isn't up for it and some others aren't. I would rather see hungry players even if they are not as talented as another player in the same position. Right now we are bereft of passion and commitment.

Let's lose the right way....if we have to lose. If that makes any sense. lol.

_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506612  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29219

I used to be in total fear of us finishing 8th or 9th. I'm not anymore. This season may just have to be written off. Since the 2014 season Man Utd have finished as low as 7th and and 6th twice and no one I know thinks they will stay that way forever. They will be back, its just a matter of when not if. Rodgers was 8th at Liverpool when he got the sack.

We are still a big club and have a brand and if we manage things right we will be back. The biggest hindrance is the Kroenke family. It's possible Stan (and Josh) to change their strategy with us. Look at Man Utd? When the Glaziers bought them they were the anti Christ to Man Utd fans. Now you never hear a cross word said about them. They changed their strategy when it came to Man Utd and put in football men in charge, and they just shut up and wrote checks for the most part.

When you hear fans criticize Man Utd its about the Brits in charge in Manchester and not the Glazeris in Florida.
Kroenke is not going anywhere. He's a buy and hold type of investor unless the business has no future (like his malls that his wealth was built on). If Kroenke can be convinced to be like the Glaziers we may eke out a decent future as a club.

_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506613  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 15980

AmericanGooner wrote:
Again, I wouldn't be shocked if Liverpool wins 30 matches and draws 3 or 4 for the rest of the season. I can see them winning all the domestic trophies, a feat no one has ever done as far as I know.

The league cup will be tough for them to win. They’re going to be playing a 3rd best 11 v Villa in the next round as the best squad of 22 are at the club World Cup. I think Man U, city, Leicester all still in the league cup as well.

They are a fantastic team and Klopp has managed his rotation well to show they can win without key players.....but I still don’t think their squad is as strong as many think. I actually think they can afford to lose the front 3 more than their defenders. The number of games we’ve been without 3 of our back 5 for long periods....imagine Liverpool losing Robertson, Trent and VVd for 10 games? Gomez, Lovren, Matic, milner that back 4 doesn’t scream security and the full backs won’t be churning 30 assists a season like Trent and Robertson do. Staying fit is part of being a great team, our invincible team stayed healthy for a lot of the season, but a few big injuries and things can change very quickly


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506614  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 4910
Location: SE9

Greeny wrote:
One of the trickiest football questions in recent times...

Who is this and what are those?

Image

You're definitely blocked :icon_mrgreen:


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506615  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 pm
Posts: 4518

Manure should be at least 2 up. City very ropey defensively.

_________________
"If you do not believe you can do it then you have no chance at all"


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506616  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 pm
Posts: 4518

0-2 City being torn apart.

_________________
"If you do not believe you can do it then you have no chance at all"


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506617  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13280

Gunfire wrote:
0-2 City being torn apart.

Could easily be 5.

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506618  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13280

Greeny wrote:
Need some help guys, what are those funny images on the bus?

Image


And who is Anthony Martial? And who is Marcus Rashford?

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506619  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29219

I thought for sure the scoreline would be reversed at this point in the Manchester derby. But that's football isn't it? We need City to win this thing or at least draw. Right now, we are out of the top 4. No way we are going to make up points on Chelsea. I think the fight is for top 6. In a strange way being out top 6 may be what is needed for the Kroenke's to take us more seriously. The loss of that money will not go down well.

_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506620  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29219

...but I think until the LA Rams stadium is finished and up and running, we are going to be a distant 2nd fiddle to the Rams. When in LA I remind Rams fans we have the same owner, so doesn't it make them by extension Arsenal fans? The looks I get after saying that...haha.

_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506621  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13280

AmericanGooner wrote:
I thought for sure the scoreline would be reversed at this point in the Manchester derby. But that's football isn't it? We need City to win this thing or at least draw. Right now, we are out of the top 4. No way we are going to make up points on Chelsea.

But Chelsea keep losing to mediocre opposition. As do City.

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506622  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 15980

De gea booked for timewasting in the 54th minute.

How does no gk get booked that early against us?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506623  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:36 pm
Posts: 2028

Rich wrote:
De gea booked for timewasting in the 54th minute.

How does no gk get booked that early against us?


There are a lot of narratives in football, life too, that’s it’s hard to not be affected by. City are the champions chasing Liverpool. It shouldn’t affect referees but it clearly does. Just as our narrative is we’re soft so we don’t get decisions because teams are allowed to get away with it, because hey it’s Arsenal they’ve probably gone down easy. And now we’re in crisis. That does affect at least some decisions in my opinion. We’re also *%^@, I’m not forgetting that...

_________________
'At Arsenal it was always the same 8 or 9 who stayed behind after training. And I guarantee if you do that you'll become a better player'


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506624  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 15980

Forget that elneny and Mkhitaryan are still arsenal players. There’s rumours of Besiktas wanting to make his loan move permanent, there is an €18m clause in the deal. That would be incredible business for us. If we can squeeze something similar out of Roma or someone for Mkhitaryan it’s a healthy chunk of money to revive this squad.

We need a massive clear out, feel like weve needed that clear out for years. Amazingly we’ve had a huge clear out over the last 2 years but we’re still 8-10 players short of a competitive squad


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506625  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 15980

Ash wrote:
Rich wrote:
De gea booked for timewasting in the 54th minute.

How does no gk get booked that early against us?


There are a lot of narratives in football, life too, that’s it’s hard to not be affected by. City are the champions chasing Liverpool. It shouldn’t affect referees but it clearly does. Just as our narrative is we’re soft so we don’t get decisions because teams are allowed to get away with it, because hey it’s Arsenal they’ve probably gone down easy. And now we’re in crisis. That does affect at least some decisions in my opinion. We’re also *%^@, I’m not forgetting that...

I always thought in the Leicester title win that they won so many decisions and I’m sure the romance of it all would have subconsciously effected some officials. Now they won the league by 10 points so they deserved it but there were so many debatable pens in their season.

Man U have 8 pens this season already, that’s more than we’ve had in the past two seasons put together.
When you see the 4-5 pen shouts we had v Brighton and see what some pens get given for it really is hard to take


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506626  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 12035
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

Rich wrote:
They are a fantastic team and Klopp has managed his rotation well to show they can win without key players.....but I still don’t think their squad is as strong as many think. I actually think they can afford to lose the front 3 more than their defenders. The number of games we’ve been without 3 of our back 5 for long periods....imagine Liverpool losing Robertson, Trent and VVd for 10 games? Gomez, Lovren, Matic, milner that back 4 doesn’t scream security and the full backs won’t be churning 30 assists a season like Trent and Robertson do. Staying fit is part of being a great team, our invincible team stayed healthy for a lot of the season, but a few big injuries and things can change very quickly



You've pushed this old chesnut a few times , someone who was injured being available would have made all the difference .

Now I know you are passionate , post often [ should be manager ]

but I'll tell you something for nothing , with this team we could have a full compliment for the whole season and we'd still be sh*t .

Brighton had that kid Connolly running everywhere , Southampton had Ward Prouse
Norwich had Cantwell and Pukki all buzzing around like angry hornets making things happen .....while we've got dickstops strolling around the park spraying balls wide right , wide left , back to the goalie .


What would Liverpool do if blah blah ...? you ask

Well I'll tell you ..... Klopp would scratch around the youth team ; select some eighteen year old from Toxteth put his arm around the kid's shoulders , whisper with passion " I want you do this , your job is to etc etc " and the kid would go out and play like Franz Beckenbauer , Marcel Desailley combined

..and don't think I'm picking on you here just questioning your judgement ... but your quote from an earlier post

" We should be preying on their lack of confidence and using the fact that we are better footballers to go out and beat them. " .... are we better footballers ..... and what do you think our confidence is like at the moment ...?

I'd say with our lack of cohesion we would be the worst team in the league ....when Watford , Southampton , Norwich and Brighton have all outplayed us what other conclusions can you draw .


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506627  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 12035
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

Ash wrote:


There are a lot of narratives in football, life too,

...... because hey it’s Arsenal they’ve probably gone down easy.

and so they do ... Pépé winning that free kick v Brighton embarrassing , Lacazette has definite problems in his ear drums. Flaky management


but anyway ((**&^ the football ... you mention narratives in life Ash .....give us one of your recollections .


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506628  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 5957
Location: Townsville Australia

Greeny wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
3 things may happen when all is said and done with this Liverpool side and yes, its early days but still, it is very possible. 1. Our invincible season will be matched with a far greater number of points. 2. Our 49 match unbeaten streak may be extended even into the 60s possibly. and 3. Manchester United fans won't like this but this side may very well be dubbed not just the greatest PL side ever but the greatest first division (which essentially is all divisions) side ever.

Again, I wouldn't be shocked if Liverpool wins 30 matches and draws 3 or 4 for the rest of the season. I can see them winning all the domestic trophies, a feat no one has ever done as far as I know.

5 things may happen when all is said and done with this Liverpool side
1. They might lose to Leicester City away on Boxing Day
2. They might lose to THFC on the 11th January
3. They might win the next 98 games in a row
4. They might be crowned the best first division side in the History of football, not just domestically, but internationally
5. They might lose one game this season


Actually the list is endless, isn't it?

As for a team ever winning all the domestic trophies.
That's about as comical as when Wenger said we might go a season unbeaten.
Winning all 3 domestic competitions in a season is so unbelievably difficult that just to imagine a team capable of doing that is almost impossible to do.
It might have happened once in the History of English Football, but I think it would be common knowledge if a team so amazing had ever existed.
No, no, just think. A team winning the First Division, the FA Cup and the League Cup in ONE season.
That's just impossible, isn't it?
Certainly hasn't happened in the recent past, has it!
OMG, I just wish that it could happen once in my lifetime.
It would surely be something so profound and special that no-one would ever forget it.


I will give you a FACT now!

IF Liverpool become the first English team to win all the domestic competitions in one season I will swim the English Channel in a full Liverpoool kit. FACT!
No, no, too easy. If Liverpool are the first team to win all the domestic trophies in one season I will swim from the USA to Liverpool, in a full Liverpool kit! FACT!
PROMISE!

Just one question out of your post. Do you drink rum? Tend to makes us feel bullet proof. Swim the english channel. put more coke in the drink ffs

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506629  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 12035
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Greeny wrote:

I will give you a FACT now!

IF Liverpool become the first English team to win all the domestic competitions in one season I will swim the English Channel in a full Liverpoool kit. FACT!
No, no, too easy. If Liverpool are the first team to win all the domestic trophies in one season I will swim from the USA to Liverpool, in a full Liverpool kit! FACT!
PROMISE!

Just one question out of your post. Do you drink rum? Tend to makes us feel bullet proof. Swim the english channel. put more coke in the drink ffs

Well of course the little subtlety you missed here Big Guy

..... he'll swim the Channel IF Liverpool are the first to win all domestic trophies ...knowing full well Manky Citee have already done it .

Is he a rum drinker NO ..... you can always tell a rum drinker .... concise , lucid , flair , panache , swashbuckling , redoubtable , great sense of humour .


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506630  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29219

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Again, I wouldn't be shocked if Liverpool wins 30 matches and draws 3 or 4 for the rest of the season. I can see them winning all the domestic trophies, a feat no one has ever done as far as I know.

The league cup will be tough for them to win. They’re going to be playing a 3rd best 11 v Villa in the next round as the best squad of 22 are at the club World Cup. I think Man U, city, Leicester all still in the league cup as well.

They are a fantastic team and Klopp has managed his rotation well to show they can win without key players.....but I still don’t think their squad is as strong as many think. I actually think they can afford to lose the front 3 more than their defenders. The number of games we’ve been without 3 of our back 5 for long periods....imagine Liverpool losing Robertson, Trent and VVd for 10 games? Gomez, Lovren, Matic, milner that back 4 doesn’t scream security and the full backs won’t be churning 30 assists a season like Trent and Robertson do. Staying fit is part of being a great team, our invincible team stayed healthy for a lot of the season, but a few big injuries and things can change very quickly


True, they haven't had serious injuries to key people. As it stands now? I'm worried. :20hospitals:

_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506631  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 15980

kiwipete wrote:
Rich wrote:
They are a fantastic team and Klopp has managed his rotation well to show they can win without key players.....but I still don’t think their squad is as strong as many think. I actually think they can afford to lose the front 3 more than their defenders. The number of games we’ve been without 3 of our back 5 for long periods....imagine Liverpool losing Robertson, Trent and VVd for 10 games? Gomez, Lovren, Matic, milner that back 4 doesn’t scream security and the full backs won’t be churning 30 assists a season like Trent and Robertson do. Staying fit is part of being a great team, our invincible team stayed healthy for a lot of the season, but a few big injuries and things can change very quickly



You've pushed this old chesnut a few times , someone who was injured being available would have made all the difference .

Now I know you are passionate , post often [ should be manager ]

but I'll tell you something for nothing , with this team we could have a full compliment for the whole season and we'd still be sh*t .

This was a post about Liverpool not Arsenal. We’ve had injuries and they’ve hurt us but I don’t think we’d suddenly be challengers with a full compliment. One thing we have improved in the last few seasons is the lack of injuries to players generally.
I’m always interested in teams who keep such a clean bill of health in their squad, it often goes hand in hand with a good season. Wolves last year, I could name their starting 11 easily because it was the same every week.
My point on Liverpool was there aren’t many like for like replacements for some of the ever presents in their team. City are finding that problem with losing Laporte who seemingly held their defence together single handedly.
Liverpool’s style is a compact midfield 3 who don’t get many goals and assists but they cover the full backs and work damn hard. The full backs provide width and the main creative output. The front 3 obviously cause their own havoc but those full backs are something else, and as with all great players they are often irreplaceable.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506632  Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 15980

kiwipete wrote:
" We should be preying on their lack of confidence and using the fact that we are better footballers to go out and beat them. " .... are we better footballers ..... and what do you think our confidence is like at the moment ...?

I'd say with our lack of cohesion we would be the worst team in the league ....when Watford , Southampton , Norwich and Brighton have all outplayed us what other conclusions can you draw .

Ido think that individually we have better players than West Ham (which was the team I was referring to) my frustration is that for years we have been less than the sum of those parts. I’m saying as a team we’ve become far too passive, or possibly expectant that our talent will see us through these types of games.
My original post was about two teams who lack confidence meeting each other, if we’re one of those teams we’ll be the ones who buckle rather than being able to use the opponents poor run as something to fire us up.
Have you not read my posts claiming exactly the same as you? I’ve said given our performances against the worst teams in the league it isn’t a stretch to see us as being in a relegation fight. We are a team who can’t react, the only team who can’t get a new manager bounce. We’re screwed but if the players play to their potential, as a team, they shouldn’t be in this mess.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506633  Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:12 am
Posts: 3569
Location: Melbourne

Rich wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
" We should be preying on their lack of confidence and using the fact that we are better footballers to go out and beat them. " .... are we better footballers ..... and what do you think our confidence is like at the moment ...?

I'd say with our lack of cohesion we would be the worst team in the league ....when Watford , Southampton , Norwich and Brighton have all outplayed us what other conclusions can you draw .

Ido think that individually we have better players than West Ham (which was the team I was referring to) my frustration is that for years we have been less than the sum of those parts. I’m saying as a team we’ve become far too passive, or possibly expectant that our talent will see us through these types of games.
My original post was about two teams who lack confidence meeting each other, if we’re one of those teams we’ll be the ones who buckle rather than being able to use the opponents poor run as something to fire us up.
Have you not read my posts claiming exactly the same as you? I’ve said given our performances against the worst teams in the league it isn’t a stretch to see us as being in a relegation fight. We are a team who can’t react, the only team who can’t get a new manager bounce. We’re screwed but if the players play to their potential, as a team, they shouldn’t be in this mess.


Mark Noble will be itching to turn our midfield and defence inside out and has done so many times before. I thought we should have tried to buy him last couple of years.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506634  Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 8676
Location: Singapore

AmericanGooner wrote:
Thank you Everton. Although at this point it looks like Chelsea will still take the 4th spot unless Tottenham or Man Utd can make a go of it.


I would prefer a Chelsea victory. We are in the relegation battle with Everton. :42laughter:

_________________
A new Chapter awaits!


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506635  Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 8676
Location: Singapore

AmericanGooner wrote:
...but I think until the LA Rams stadium is finished and up and running, we are going to be a distant 2nd fiddle to the Rams. When in LA I remind Rams fans we have the same owner, so doesn't it make them by extension Arsenal fans? The looks I get after saying that...haha.


I'm not surprised with their looks. Most could not care less about soccer.

_________________
A new Chapter awaits!


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506636  Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 8676
Location: Singapore

Come on Freddie, sort out the defensive set-up already.

_________________
A new Chapter awaits!


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506637  Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 5957
Location: Townsville Australia

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Just one question out of your post. Do you drink rum? Tend to makes us feel bullet proof. Swim the english channel. put more coke in the drink ffs

Well of course the little subtlety you missed here Big Guy

..... he'll swim the Channel IF Liverpool are the first to win all domestic trophies ...knowing full well Manky Citee have already done it .

Is he a rum drinker NO ..... you can always tell a rum drinker .... concise , lucid , flair , panache , swashbuckling , redoubtable , great sense of humour .

Your right on both counts. Its like having a resident oracle when you post.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506638  Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 5957
Location: Townsville Australia

The bounce we didn't get with a new manager. Lets compare Everton and us.
Duncan Ferguson turns up for the team talk: " People used to say I was a hard man - but I am pretty easy to get along with if you win. So here is my team (throws team sheet on table) - I want you to remember I have your names and addresses and if you overpaid f...ers don't win, you will get a visit from me and same mates and you need to live in fear for the rest of your miserable lives." = Everton 3 Chelsea 1

Freddie: "I used to model underwear." = no wins in 2 games

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506639  Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 15980

Watching Man u and spurs on MOTD, the pace and movement up top is frightening and exactly what we’re missing. Son is in the top 5 players in the league for me. Moura, Rashford, James, martial all electric. Then lingard and alli busying a guy to make runs beyond them.

Also clear how many shots they take, relatively selfish players who can hit clean shots with power and on target. You’d have thought that would be pretty simple for a professional footballer but I’d only back Aubameyang in our team to be able to do this. Even Lacazette has so many miss-hits or scuffs when he doesn’t quite catch it right

Everything we do is at half pace. I fundamentally dislike the profile of players we’ve been recruiting over the past 5 or so years.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #506640  Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 15980

Greeny wrote:
Ash wrote:

We just need some decent CB’s. Would cure so much. Crucially Everton have a couple of decent CB’s and just out worked Chelsea today. Mustafi was brought in as our solution last week. Mustafi. Not there was a lot of other choice.

Chris Smalling is being mentioned as an option this morning

And to think, we had Adams, Keown and Bould at one time in the same team.

Still a far better defender than anything we have


 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     [ 513595 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12663, 12664, 12665, 12666, 12667, 12668, 12669 ... 12840  Next

All times are UTC

Gooners Online - Click to see what Everyones Doing

Colour Key:  Visited Profile    Members Profile      Admin

Get Latest Post

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests


Search for:

cron

Go to Top

Powered by php BB © 1993 - 2018