Fixtures Wednesday July 15th - Liverpool - Emirates Stadium - 8:15 Pm

Kick-Off

       Injuries                    Steve Gleiber



Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:47 am

All times are UTC


  


Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 2 guests

 
Post #500081  Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 4752

Rich wrote:
Since Mislintat left our transfer business has been very slow. Mislintat oversaw a huge turnaround in selling and buying players in his year or so at the club. Apparently at Stuttgart he’s already bought 4 and sold 11.
I’m not sure of our greater need, to sell the chaff in the squad or to buy some decent players



Selling the chaff is far more important but much harder because of the high wages they are on.
No one else will touch them because they are *%^@ and/or on a stupidly high wage.

_________________
"It's all over now Baby Blue"


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500082  Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 12035
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

AmericanGooner wrote:
.

Anyway, this is hilarious. Expat Americans and visiting fans chanting 'F*ck Trump' to the Fox News commentator. This was live as well. )


What is hilarious ............... is that for all your continued raving you are going to have him for for another term .

Elizabeth Warren , Tim Ryan , Kamala Harris , Nancy Polosi in the opposition .... then there's his cohorts John Bolton , Mike Pompeo .....

:15laughter: what is the pre requisite for being a politician in the good ole Land of Apple Pie ............. being inherently stupid ...?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500083  Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7970

Wirral Gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:
Since Mislintat left our transfer business has been very slow. Mislintat oversaw a huge turnaround in selling and buying players in his year or so at the club. Apparently at Stuttgart he’s already bought 4 and sold 11.
I’m not sure of our greater need, to sell the chaff in the squad or to buy some decent players

Selling the chaff is far more important but much harder because of the high wages they are on.
No one else will touch them because they are *%^@ and/or on a stupidly high wage.

Hi Wirral. Is selling the chaff more important though? If we don’t sign any decent players, who else is there to put in the team that’s any better?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500084  Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 4752

Bernard wrote:
Wirral Gooner wrote:
Selling the chaff is far more important but much harder because of the high wages they are on.
No one else will touch them because they are *%^@ and/or on a stupidly high wage.

Hi Wirral. Is selling the chaff more important though? If we don’t sign any decent players, who else is there to put in the team that’s any better?



I think they are a drag on the team and they are holding us back. We both remember GG getting rid of the so called stars and bringing in young players. We need this again as there really is no alternative with our measly budget. £45 million on a couple of really strong defenders and if we get any money for the chaff invest that in some creative players e.g. midfield and winger.

This current team is not going to win much and they are costing us a fortune in wages. We may as well give some of the kids a go. They will not win either but it is the start of a rebuild that may take us somewhere better

_________________
"It's all over now Baby Blue"


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500085  Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7970

Wirral Gooner wrote:
This current team is not going to win much and they are costing us a fortune in wages. We may as well give some of the kids a go. They will not win either but it is the start of a rebuild that may take us somewhere better

Sadly it’s not inconceivable they could take us somewhere worse either. It’s very tempting to rate a player too highly just because he’s a teenager. Of the guys given squad numbers today I have more confidence in Nelson and Willock than Smith Rowe or Nketiah.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500086  Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 4752

Bernard wrote:
Wirral Gooner wrote:
This current team is not going to win much and they are costing us a fortune in wages. We may as well give some of the kids a go. They will not win either but it is the start of a rebuild that may take us somewhere better

Sadly it’s not inconceivable they could take us somewhere worse either. It’s very tempting to rate a player too highly just because he’s a teenager. Of the guys given squad numbers today I have more confidence in Nelson and Willock than Smith Rowe or Nketiah.


I would not disagree with you. We could end up worse. We also may end up worse with Özil, Mustafi, Kolasinac, Xkaka and Mhiki still in the team. I really do not see a future for these players at Arsenal. The only one I would keep would be Kolasinac and that is only if we do not get Tierney from Celtic.

Btw I would have Nelson and Willock as first choice at the moment. The so called stars are just not worth it anymore. Throw them in, give them a run in the team. Most of my favourite players started young. How old was Brady when he made his debut?

_________________
"It's all over now Baby Blue"


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500087  Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7970

Wirral Gooner wrote:
How old was Brady when he made his debut?

From memory 17. Came on as a fairly early sub against Birmingham. But even if he was that young, he may not be a fair comparator. Brady was one of the very best players to wear the shirt and in my view is actually the best home grown youngster. On a completely different level to the modern guys.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500088  Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 4752

Bernard wrote:
Wirral Gooner wrote:
How old was Brady when he made his debut?

From memory 17. Came on as a fairly early sub against Birmingham. But even if he was that young, he may not be a fair comparator. Brady was one of the very best players to wear the shirt and in my view is actually the best home grown youngster. On a completely different level.


Fair enough-a bad example (or a very good example that no one will ever compare to). But if we do not give them a go then we will never know just how good they may be.

_________________
"It's all over now Baby Blue"


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500089  Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 5966
Location: Townsville Australia

grantyboy wrote:
Rich wrote:
Emile Smith Rowe joins Willock (28), Nketiah (30) and Nelson (24) in receiving a first-team number for next season. He’ll be number 32 this season.


Emery barely gave them a sniff last year so if he goes into this year hoping they'll become instant PL material then he's a bigger gambler than Wenger. They may do ok and it would be great to see it but it's very very rare for young players like that to be able to maintain any form over a season. Iwobi started well and regressed. Guendouzi started well and then got overplayed. Torreirra started well and then according to reports got homesick.

I wonder what we're going to see in the first couple of months with Liverpool, Tottenham and Man U in the fixture list to October.

After that empty seats if it all goes wrong.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500090  Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:36 pm
Posts: 2032

Massively off the topic of how excruciating this transfer window is, anyone wondering what happened to Dan Crowley - much vaunted Arsenal youngster player recruited from Villa or somebody from a couple of years ago - really interesting article on how he’s doing at Willem II.

I remember reports on him and really looked forward to seeing anything of him in Carling cup fixtures or what have you, but he went on loan and reports of bad attitude meant he was sent home early irrc. Hodd seemed to suggest the reports might have some truth to them and he was moved on.

Anyway if you’re interested the article’s here. https://worldfootballindex.com/2019/07/ ... i-arsenal/

_________________
'At Arsenal it was always the same 8 or 9 who stayed behind after training. And I guarantee if you do that you'll become a better player'


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500091  Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 5966
Location: Townsville Australia

Bernard wrote:
Wirral Gooner wrote:
This current team is not going to win much and they are costing us a fortune in wages. We may as well give some of the kids a go. They will not win either but it is the start of a rebuild that may take us somewhere better

Sadly it’s not inconceivable they could take us somewhere worse either. It’s very tempting to rate a player too highly just because he’s a teenager. Of the guys given squad numbers today I have more confidence in Nelson and Willock than Smith Rowe or Nketiah.

Very limited appearances from all of them to judge whether I think they will make it. But, from what I have seen of Smith Rowe, he may be one of those players who is just in the right place at the right time. Maybe even right now, when there is no money in the transfer budget, he is in the right place to get game time. I don't know what it is with some players but they have the knack. At vital times even a deflection falls to them and it changes games. Time will tell but a lot will depend if they actually have the confidence in their abilities to play to the maximum. Whether they actually have the ability is a different question but if they have made the squad they should do.

However one area of concern is that having watched highlights of the Boreham Wood game, I didn't see much quality in the youth squads so these could be interesting times.

Whether fans will cut slack to young players I am not sure. You give them some lead in time but after that enough is enough. There are 2 players who really have had played get out of jail free card and need to deliver consistent performances this season- Iwobi and N-M.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500092  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7970

Ash wrote:
Massively off the topic of how excruciating this transfer window is, anyone wondering what happened to Dan Crowley - much vaunted Arsenal youngster player recruited from Villa or somebody from a couple of years ago - really interesting article on how he’s doing at Willem II.

I remember reports on him and really looked forward to seeing anything of him in Carling cup fixtures or what have you, but he went on loan and reports of bad attitude meant he was sent home early irrc. Hodd seemed to suggest the reports might have some truth to them and he was moved on.

Anyway if you’re interested the article’s here. https://worldfootballindex.com/2019/07/ ... i-arsenal/

I’d completely forgotten all about him. But now you’ve mentioned him, the name has come back to me. As you imply he was talked about as the next big thing a while back.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500093  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 18513

AC Milan allegedly interested in Bielik.

All I can say is if we are prepared to sell a young, promising talent who shone at Charlton and the Euro u21 tournament then let's get a transfer fee that reflects that potential. £15m ought to be a starting point not £5m or something stupid.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500094  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 5966
Location: Townsville Australia

socrates wrote:
AC Milan allegedly interested in Bielik.

All I can say is if we are prepared to sell a young, promising talent who shone at Charlton and the Euro u21 tournament then let's get a transfer fee that reflects that potential. £15m ought to be a starting point not £5m or something stupid.

Yep. But why isn't he in our squad. Can play defensive midfield or in defensive roles. He had a better season that Chambers so I would put him ahead of him.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500095  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 11937

tomc wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Emery barely gave them a sniff last year so if he goes into this year hoping they'll become instant PL material then he's a bigger gambler than Wenger. They may do ok and it would be great to see it but it's very very rare for young players like that to be able to maintain any form over a season. Iwobi started well and regressed. Guendouzi started well and then got overplayed. Torreirra started well and then according to reports got homesick.

I wonder what we're going to see in the first couple of months with Liverpool, Tottenham and Man U in the fixture list to October.

No guarantees with young players but I'd still rather see any of those 4 in the team rather than Xhaka and Mkhitaryan strolling around not giving a *%^@. Around £300k a week going out of the club to those two in wages. Laughable. Except it isn't.


Reminds me when George who was a spendthrift spunked all that money on Helder, kiwomya and Hartson. A final throw of the dice that was too late.

Wengers last throw of the dice was Xhaka, Mustafi and mhikitaryan it’s been so costly. Modern day contracts mean that if a manager makes a mistake that mistake can sit within plain sight for some time and thoughout his tenure. We could be stuck with Özil, mhikitaryan and Mustafi until their contracts end in 2021. It’s going to get so boring


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500096  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7970

Gaz from Oz wrote:
socrates wrote:
AC Milan allegedly interested in Bielik.

All I can say is if we are prepared to sell a young, promising talent who shone at Charlton and the Euro u21 tournament then let's get a transfer fee that reflects that potential. £15m ought to be a starting point not £5m or something stupid.

Yep. But why isn't he in our squad. Can play defensive midfield or in defensive roles. He had a better season that Chambers so I would put him ahead of him.

To be fair to Chambers he was terrible in defence (‘not fit for the shirt’, and that’s a Fulham shirt) was how my Fulham supporting relatives described him. But he was much better in midfield. Indeed, he won their player of the season award on the strength of his midfield displays, although I accept they were relegated so he couldn’t have been up against much.

At least Fulham were in the Premier League though. What league were Charlton in? So can we be sure Bielik had a better season than Chambers?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500097  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29224

Lets fix the defense first.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footb ... urs-Gossip
Arsenal offered £18m deal for Real Madrid misfit Mariano Diaz



_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500098  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 1307

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Sadly it’s not inconceivable they could take us somewhere worse either. It’s very tempting to rate a player too highly just because he’s a teenager. Of the guys given squad numbers today I have more confidence in Nelson and Willock than Smith Rowe or Nketiah.

Very limited appearances from all of them to judge whether I think they will make it. But, from what I have seen of Smith Rowe, he may be one of those players who is just in the right place at the right time. Maybe even right now, when there is no money in the transfer budget, he is in the right place to get game time. I don't know what it is with some players but they have the knack. At vital times even a deflection falls to them and it changes games. Time will tell but a lot will depend if they actually have the confidence in their abilities to play to the maximum. Whether they actually have the ability is a different question but if they have made the squad they should do.

However one area of concern is that having watched highlights of the Boreham Wood game, I didn't see much quality in the youth squads so these could be interesting times.

Whether fans will cut slack to young players I am not sure. You give them some lead in time but after that enough is enough. There are 2 players who really have had played get out of jail free card and need to deliver consistent performances this season- Iwobi and N-M.

If by N-M you mean Maitland-Niles, this kid has been played out of position for most of his first team career. Perhaps if he was played in his natural position of centre mid he would be able to show us if he is a player or not (which I personally think he is). And again I'd rather see him in there than Xhaka, all day long.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500099  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29224

tomc wrote:
If by N-M you mean Maitland-Niles, this kid has been played out of position for most of his first team career. Perhaps if he was played in his natural position of centre mid he would be able to show us if he is a player or not (which I personally think he is). And again I'd rather see him in there than Xhaka, all day long.


Second that, I have been impressed by him and I keep thinking he needs a consistent run of games and he'll shine. I felt the same about Gnabry before he was sold.

_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500100  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:15 am
Posts: 2293

AmericanGooner wrote:
tomc wrote:
If by N-M you mean Maitland-Niles, this kid has been played out of position for most of his first team career. Perhaps if he was played in his natural position of centre mid he would be able to show us if he is a player or not (which I personally think he is). And again I'd rather see him in there than Xhaka, all day long.


Second that, I have been impressed by him and I keep thinking he needs a consistent run of games and he'll shine. I felt the same about Gnabry before he was sold.

Did you? When was this? I don't remember you clamouring for Gnabry's return - and an extended run in the first team - while he was warming the bench in 2015/16 at West Brom, not long before his departure.

_________________
'It's the gaps what rocks' - Steve Marriott


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500101  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 6870

Amazing game of cricket at Old Trafford. Not many saw that coming!

Could be ANZAC Day at Lord's on Sunday.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500102  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 am
Posts: 8976

AmericanGooner wrote:
Lets fix the defense first.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footb ... urs-Gossip
Arsenal offered £18m deal for Real Madrid misfit Mariano Diaz




Not sure how true the story is but a more likely signing than Zaha considering the fees mentioned. He was very good at Lyon as Lacazette's replacement.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500103  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7970

DHD wrote:
Amazing game of cricket at Old Trafford. Not many saw that coming!

Could be ANZAC Day at Lord's on Sunday.

I really hope Australia win tomorrow as I think England would beat New Zealand on Sunday.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500104  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:46 pm
Posts: 2552

The Guardian are reporting that a deal has almost been reached between Arsenal and St Etienne for Saliba. Apparently it wont affect this summers transfer budget because we are loaning him back for the season.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... st-etienne


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500105  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 16031

TOP GUN wrote:
Modern day contracts mean that if a manager makes a mistake that mistake can sit within plain sight for some time and thoughout his tenure. We could be stuck with Özil, mhikitaryan and Mustafi until their contracts end in 2021. It’s going to get so boring

Not an issue for managers of super rich clubs. Sign a £40m player and he’s awful just bomb him out on loan, continue to pay his wages and let him slip out the back door in a few years, in the meantime sign yourself a new £40m player.
See Mangala, Bakayoko, drinkwater and countless other examples


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500106  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:52 pm
Posts: 967
Location: Salisbury

Bored wrote:
The Guardian are reporting that a deal has almost been reached between Arsenal and St Etienne for Saliba. Apparently it wont affect this summers transfer budget because we are loaning him back for the season.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... st-etienne


It's been 'almost done' for about a week now, people leave but the same old cheapskate bs from Arsenal, no Wenger to blame anymore..

_________________
Wake me up when wiggy snuffs it


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500107  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7970

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
Bored wrote:
The Guardian are reporting that a deal has almost been reached between Arsenal and St Etienne for Saliba. Apparently it wont affect this summers transfer budget because we are loaning him back for the season.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... st-etienne

It's been 'almost done' for about a week now, people leave but the same old cheapskate bs from Arsenal, no Wenger to blame anymore..

Even if it happens it’s going to have zero effect on improving our defence next season if he stays at St Etienne for a year. The only thing that will is getting new defenders who will play in 2019/20. Just getting rid of Mustafi won’t, even if we do, because that presumably still guarantees lots of games for Koscielny who at this point in his career is just as bad, and possibly even worse.

I get the impression many are trying to avoid moaning about Koscielny too much. I get showing respect for a once fine player. But I honestly think we’d have been better off with Mustafi than him in the Chelsea final and why should that change next season when he’ll be 34 in September?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500108  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:12 am
Posts: 3569
Location: Melbourne

Pretty good summary of the state of affairs at Arsenal.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/cybrown/20 ... 02479c6dae


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500109  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 5966
Location: Townsville Australia

I think the club should announce that our transfer business is done and save us all the angst. Bernard good point about Koscielny. I thought the way he hobbled through the last part of the season; the fact he was reported as wanting to move away now; indicates that even he realises he is not up to another season.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500110  Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 8682
Location: Singapore

On the one hand, I am excited to see the younger players charge into the big stage. I am optimistic at least some will impress. On the other hand, disappointed the annual summer cycle of slow-mo transfer dealings is still a mainstay of the club. We are fundamentally out-of-joint as long as Stan is here.

_________________
A new Chapter awaits!


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500111  Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 5966
Location: Townsville Australia

gooner7 wrote:
On the one hand, I am excited to see the younger players charge into the big stage. I am optimistic at least some will impress. On the other hand, disappointed the annual summer cycle of slow-mo transfer dealings is still a mainstay of the club. We are fundamentally out-of-joint as long as Stan is here.

I would love to know what the approval process is within the club. Whether our negotiator can say deal done or has to go away and ultimately Stan has to okay it.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500112  Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 5966
Location: Townsville Australia

Things have gone very quiet on the Tierney move. If he is so good how is it that clubs are not queued up to sign him? Some story about Napoli interest but that is all.

It suggests to me that due diligence by others indicates there are too many risks with him for that amount of money.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500113  Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 12035
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

DHD wrote:
Amazing game of cricket at Old Trafford. Not many saw that coming!

Could be ANZAC Day at Lord's on Sunday.


True DHD ... the "poxy little country " punches above it's weight in the sporting world .

I think we'll get dicked by whoever wins the other semi but nice for us to have a brief moment " in the sun . "

On the choice of opponent it would be slightly less painful to lose to England


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500114  Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 16031

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Things have gone very quiet on the Tierney move. If he is so good how is it that clubs are not queued up to sign him? Some story about Napoli interest but that is all.

It suggests to me that due diligence by others indicates there are too many risks with him for that amount of money.

Most of the other big 6 have pretty secure first choice LB
City have plenty, Mendy zinchenko, angelino delph
Liverpool have Robertson
Chelsea have Alonso and Emerson
Spurs have Davies and rose
Man U have shaw
Even Everton (digne baines) Leicester (chilwell) Wolves (jonny) have established Lb and would and are prioritising other areas


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500115  Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7970

kiwipete wrote:
I think we'll get dicked by whoever wins the other semi

So do I, which is why I want Australia to win today. But whoever you play on Sunday, I will really want New Zealand to win.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500116  Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 5966
Location: Townsville Australia

I think I could be well behaved at least 1 month per year to get the Neymar type bonus

https://www.givemesport.com/1489012-ney ... utoplay=on

No football has not lost the plot.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500117  Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 18513

gooner7 wrote:
On the one hand, I am excited to see the younger players charge into the big stage. I am optimistic at least some will impress. On the other hand, disappointed the annual summer cycle of slow-mo transfer dealings is still a mainstay of the club. We are fundamentally out-of-joint as long as Stan is here.



Hi gooner7,

We are obviously weaker on paper now than we were at the end of last season........Ramsey, Welbeck and Čech have gone...........and no replacements of any stature yet.

I like Nelson, Willock and Nketiah but have no idea if they are ready to make a meaningful contribution in the PL.

It is looking like perhaps no more than 2 signings for this year (if that) as I don't count Saliba, unless something dramatic happens in the next month.

The other thing is that the season starts in a month so if they miss the US trip it leaves little room for any kind of settling in period or time to work with Emery before the season starts.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500118  Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29224

Not sure we should put much credence into this but its news nonetheless.
https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/11/arsenal- ... -10172640/

Arsenal offer £40m plus three players for Wilfried Zaha

Arsenal have offered £40 million plus three players to Crystal Palace for Wilfried Zaha, according to reports. Unai Emery’s side have already seen their opening bid of £40m turned down by Palace, who are demanding £80m for their star attacker. The Gunners are restricted this summer with a £45m budget and Zaha’s valuation is well beyond their price range. But according to The Sun, Arsenal have attempted to bridge the gap by offering £40m plus Mohamed Elneny, Calum Chambers and Carl Jenkinson to Palace.

_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500119  Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:36 pm
Posts: 2032

Bernard wrote:
Wilts-Gooner wrote:
It's been 'almost done' for about a week now, people leave but the same old cheapskate bs from Arsenal, no Wenger to blame anymore..

Even if it happens it’s going to have zero effect on improving our defence next season if he stays at St Etienne for a year. The only thing that will is getting new defenders who will play in 2019/20. Just getting rid of Mustafi won’t, even if we do, because that presumably still guarantees lots of games for Koscielny who at this point in his career is just as bad, and possibly even worse.

I get the impression many are trying to avoid moaning about Koscielny too much. I get showing respect for a once fine player. But I honestly think we’d have been better off with Mustafi than him in the Chelsea final and why should that change next season when he’ll be 34 in September?


Koscielny is a fine player who has performed admirably, coming back off what could have been a career ending injury now in the twilight of his career and understandably he looks mostly not up to scratch anymore. Mustafi is in his prime and cost us £30M and is a liability. Really are you wondering why people are moaning about him and not Kos??

_________________
'At Arsenal it was always the same 8 or 9 who stayed behind after training. And I guarantee if you do that you'll become a better player'


 Profile  
 
 
Post #500120  Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7970

Ash wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Even if it happens it’s going to have zero effect on improving our defence next season if he stays at St Etienne for a year. The only thing that will is getting new defenders who will play in 2019/20. Just getting rid of Mustafi won’t, even if we do, because that presumably still guarantees lots of games for Koscielny who at this point in his career is just as bad, and possibly even worse.

I get the impression many are trying to avoid moaning about Koscielny too much. I get showing respect for a once fine player. But I honestly think we’d have been better off with Mustafi than him in the Chelsea final and why should that change next season when he’ll be 34 in September?

Koscielny is a fine player who has performed admirably, coming back off what could have been a career ending injury now in the twilight of his career and understandably he looks mostly not up to scratch anymore. Mustafi is in his prime and cost us £30M and is a liability. Really are you wondering why people are moaning about him and not Kos??

Koscielny was a fine player. At this moment in time, the best you can say is there’s not much difference between them. If I had to choose between one or the other playing an important game, I would see it as a very difficult choice because as Rich said recently, Mustafi does have some good games. We all want to show respect for Koscielny, as I said I understand that. But he’s now just as much a liability, and perhaps even more so.


 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     [ 513750 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12500, 12501, 12502, 12503, 12504, 12505, 12506 ... 12844  Next

All times are UTC

Gooners Online - Click to see what Everyones Doing

Colour Key:  Visited Profile    Members Profile      Admin

Get Latest Post

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 2 guests


Search for:

Go to Top

Powered by php BB © 1993 - 2018