Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], mcquilkie and 299 guests

Post #527761  Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:22 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
What is working well though is the back 4 and keeper. They look stronger every game, their understanding grows and they all take conceding a goal personally. Honestly Gabriel and white are no pushovers and how white didn’t get an England call up I don’t know.

They play with confidence knowing their mates will be there to cover them. This defence is pro-active, they read the game well and position themselves for the ready. It helps to know Ramsdale is there, especially to pluck those crosses within his 6-yard box.

Post #527762  Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:11 am 

Really enjoying the front foot high aggression press, especially in the opposition half. It takes a lot of skill from the opposition to get away from it and usually the worst that happens is we give away a free kick in a non-dangerous area or the opponent shields the ball and we get back in position.
The Saka disallowed goal was from AMN aggressively pressing and nicking it, ditto Ben White for Emile Smith Rowe goal.

Post #527763  Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:12 am 

With Tierney back fit does he come straight back in for Liverpool? Tavares has done very well and in many ways deserves to keep his place. Whoever plays there is up against Salah….

Post #527764  Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:23 am 

Rich wrote:
With Tierney back fit does he come straight back in for Liverpool? Tavares has done very well and in many ways deserves to keep his place. Whoever plays there is up against Salah….

I think both will play

If I had to pick one it’s Tierney. Just feel he would match up to him better.

Post #527765  Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:09 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
The final team to taste defeat. Ahhhh....now my annual angst is over. I can breathe now.

Me too AG! I'm forever blowing bubbles...

I think I saw some pretty bubbles in the air.

Post #527766  Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:10 am 

Rich wrote:
Liverpool away after the international break will be very interesting. They schooled us twice last season we barely got out of our own half in both games!
Defeat isn’t a disaster (but don’t let the players feel like that) but irrespective of the result I want to see a performance where we have a plan for how to hurt Liverpool. They’ve conceded 5 goals in the last 2 games against teams who actually went after them and crucially were brave!
I think if you sit in your own box v Liverpool their pressure tells especially with the delivery of their full backs and movement of the front players.
For me there are two key areas to hurt Liverpool (or 3 after seeing the way they defended set pieces today), you go in behind Trent who is vulnerable defensively and you target their central midfield, over power them physically and dominate the second ball and make the most of their midfield failing to track runners.
I also think part of being brave is committing to trying to beat their high press with some quick smart passing out from the back.

I’m actually going to be going to the match at Anfield so looking forward to seeing how the team do and fingers crossed for a clean bill of health from the international break

Of course I want a good result and a loss is a loss but there are different ways to lose and if we are to lose, I want it be a very tough win for the Reds.

Post #527767  Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:30 pm 

We're within touching distance of the top 4 but one stat really stands out between them and us. the top 4 have scored 27, 22, 23 and 31 goals each, we've scored 13. We're winning games so completely merit our position in the league but the weakness of scoring goals is still there. Even taking out those first 3 games it is only 13 goals in 8 games. We're still playing on relatively small margins in games which leaves us 1 mistake away from having a tough time winning games.

Post #527768  Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:49 pm 

As one of the traditional powerhouses of European football (which I’ve always seen as, in alphabetical order, Europe’s only World Cup winners England, France, Germany, Italy and Spain), I’m surprised only two Italians have ever played competitive first team football for Arsenal.

Mannone played 23 games in goal between 2009 and 2012 of which 22 were starts. Lupoli played 9 games of which 6 were starts from 2004 to 2006, in which he scored 3 goals.

We’re all presumably aware that many more French, German and Spanish players have appeared for Arsenal. So why only two Italians, who between them only played a handful of games? Think of the number of appearances all the French, German and Spanish players must have made.

So why is this? I wouldn’t have thought Italians players cost more. So is it that Arsenal’s managers from Wenger onwards, who himself probably started focusing more on French players before buying Germans and Spaniards, simply haven’t fancied them for whatever reason?

Post #527769  Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:06 pm 

Rich wrote:
We're within touching distance of the top 4 but one stat really stands out between them and us. the top 4 have scored 27, 22, 23 and 31 goals each, we've scored 13. We're winning games so completely merit our position in the league but the weakness of scoring goals is still there. Even taking out those first 3 games it is only 13 goals in 8 games. We're still playing on relatively small margins in games which leaves us 1 mistake away from having a tough time winning games.

I hear ya Rich, but we to put it all in it proper context. As you pointed out, those first 3 games, were horribly bad. Mentally, we were a complete mess. Turning around everything is akin to luxury liner or 767 turning, its not going to be on a dime as we say in the states. We are still learning how to win different types of games. I think asking for a huge increase in goals is a big ask right now.

We are possibly still fragile. I don't want to see a big loss but we've been winning and what happens when we slip up a game? Do we revert back to type? I still think we'll have wait till the holidays are over before we really get a firm sense of what this team can really do or be expected to do.

For now, I'm just enjoying this good run, long may it continue and we'll see if we can transition to the next level: top 4 quality football.

Post #527770  Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:39 pm 

Rich wrote:

I think chance creation is still an issue, we have been unlucky in some games like villa where we should have had half a dozen.

Yesterday was a classic example really where we dominated possession in the first 45 but barely laid a glove on them in the period. Hanging on at the end felt ridiculous. There is too much dependency on Emile Smith Rowe and saka. If they don’t conjure up something we tend to struggle from other parts of the team

Post #527771  Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:32 pm 

Smith-Rowe has been called into the England squad.

Post #527772  Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:53 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

I think chance creation is still an issue, we have been unlucky in some games like villa where we should have had half a dozen.

Yesterday was a classic example really where we dominated possession in the first 45 but barely laid a glove on them in the period. Hanging on at the end felt ridiculous. There is too much dependency on Emile Smith Rowe and saka. If they don’t conjure up something we tend to struggle from other parts of the team

One consideration could be that the 4-4-2 with Lacazette worked very well against 3 man defences, meaning that 3 man defence had a lot more to think about than the usual lone striker, they were pressed more by a pair rather than being able to play piggy in the middle with a lone striker. But Watford played relatively deep and with a 4 man defence (4-1-4-1 formation) so perhaps the guile of Ødegaard would have been a better way to go for this game?

One other thing the very best have is strikers who score and assist and really get involved in the all round play. That isn't Aubameyang's game, I think he only made 15 passes v Watford. So there is more reliance on our midfield to create. A deeper lying playmaker would be a good addition to the squad to allow some of the creative burden to come from deep and central areas as well. Whisper it quietly but Xhaka does add this dimension better than most in the squad.

Post #527773  Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:09 pm 

Bernard wrote:
...So why is this? I wouldn’t have thought Italians players cost more. So is it that Arsenal’s managers from Wenger onwards, who himself probably started focusing more on French players before buying Germans and Spaniards, simply haven’t fancied them for whatever reason?
For many years it was rare for Italians to play anywhere outside of their own country. Serie A was very high quality and competitive, with three of the greatest clubs in the world. Until the Premiership took over the money was better than good. Also it might have been that the Italian FA rather frowned on those who did go abroad and preferred to give international caps to those who stayed at home. The clincher though must be living in Italy - what a place!

Post #527774  Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:31 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:
...So why is this? I wouldn’t have thought Italians players cost more. So is it that Arsenal’s managers from Wenger onwards, who himself probably started focusing more on French players before buying Germans and Spaniards, simply haven’t fancied them for whatever reason?
For many years it was rare for Italians to play anywhere outside of their own country. Serie A was very high quality and competitive, with three of the greatest clubs in the world. Until the Premiership took over the money was better than good. Also it might have been that the Italian FA rather frowned on those who did go abroad and preferred to give international caps to those who stayed at home. The clincher though must be living in Italy - what a place!

The only two Italians that come to mind, over the last 30 years who both were players in the PL and lower tiers and were managers, are Paolo di Canio and Gianfranco Zola.

Post #527775  Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:13 pm 

socrates wrote:

I wouldn't go that far, Decaf. :laughing7:

Seriously, though, it's great to see the legend that is Kiwi back on the board......if only to make the rest of us look intelligent.

Yeah , yeah ........ Soc .. you know damn well your stakes at your local plummeted when not being able to recycle my pearls of wisdom

For any newer forumites don't be fooled ....... the Socrates moniker suggests some cool , calculated , knowlegable doodle when in fact this little turnip is the polar opposite .

Many thanks to Bernard , Warrior , Brom , Long Time , Top Gun for the welcome back ; really really nice caring cultured people

.... unlike the nematode I'm replying to on this post .

Post #527776  Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:17 pm 

Zed wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

The only two Italians that come to mind, over the last 30 years who both were players in the PL and lower tiers and were managers, are Paolo di Canio and Gianfranco Zola.

Gianluca Vialli, he was a pretty serious striker before chelsea. Remember him smashing in a serious scissor kick at Highbury for sampdoria in a friendly and thinking wow I wish we could have him.

Post #527777  Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:19 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Zed wrote:
The only two Italians that come to mind Paolo di Canio and Gianfranco Zola.

Gianluca Vialli,

Peter Bonetti , Peter Marinello

Post #527778  Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:58 pm 

Ash wrote:
I feel like nonchalant Aubameyang isn’t the best Aubameyang. I think he plays betters obviously if he’s confident, but a bit angry maybe.

Full of good ideas me ..... lock Aubameyang in a room with Socrates for three minutes pre match

.... that'd be enough to drive the Dalai Lama's rage levels off the scale

Post #527779  Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:00 pm 

Watched the West Ham v Liverpool highlights, West Hame are a real threat from set-pieces, notice how Antonio is blocking the GK on most of them - he's very strong so is difficult for the GK to get him out of the way. We play them in december some time - a wily manager would get a piece in the media in the build up to the game with something along the lines of complimenting West Ham on their set piece strength but noting they try to foul the GK and would hope the officials are watching closely. It would go down like a lead balloon with Moyes and West Ham but anything like that to put the ref on alert and even under a bit of extra scrutiny is worth it. Ferguson wouldn't have thought twice about doing it

Post #527780  Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:38 pm 

Welcome back Kiwi. Hope all is well with you. The forum was a poorer place without your DIY anecdotes and your comparisons to 1970’s Arsenal teams.

Post #527781  Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:38 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Gianluca Vialli,

Welcome back, Kiwi. It's your love of Terry Mancini - another legendary Italian international - that I've missed the most.

Post #527782  Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:10 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Gianluca Vialli,

And don't forget the TV commentator John Mozzarella...

Post #527783  Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:58 am 

Rich wrote:
Watched the West Ham v Liverpool highlights, West Hame are a real threat from set-pieces, notice how Antonio is blocking the GK on most of them - he's very strong so is difficult for the GK to get him out of the way. We play them in december some time - a wily manager would get a piece in the media in the build up to the game with something along the lines of complimenting West Ham on their set piece strength but noting they try to foul the GK and would hope the officials are watching closely. It would go down like a lead balloon with Moyes and West Ham but anything like that to put the ref on alert and even under a bit of extra scrutiny is worth it. Ferguson wouldn't have thought twice about doing it

Tell me if this is a strategy or not. Maybe it is. I've wondered if clubs that are visibly weaker man for man against a much more skilled club where they don't have much possession and don't get many open looks at the goal, just try for free kicks and corners and score off dead ball set pieces? Stoke seemed like they employed htis during the Pulis days but I wasn't entirely sure.

Post #527784  Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:10 am 

Bored wrote:
Welcome back Kiwi. Hope all is well with you. The forum was a poorer place without your DIY anecdotes and your comparisons to 1970’s Arsenal teams.

Thanks Bored ... such praise :laughing7: has me slobbering "I'll never leave again " ... Have had a few issues health wise , which I won't bore the forum with . Plan to invest in Spark Sport couple days before the Pool game so I can get the real low down .

How's life treating your good self ....?

Post #527785  Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:17 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Welcome back, Kiwi. It's your love of Terry Mancini - another legendary Italian international - that I've missed the most.

:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: by God McQ .... you haven't changed ; still a slippery SOB ....... no subtle sprinkle of burley in the water with you

No , no , no ......... it's half a kangeroo over the side with a hook the size of the Titanic's anchor .

Post #527786  Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:34 am 

Emile Smith Rowe rightly getting a lot of talk and praise in the media at the moment, and generally Arsenal getting decent press for our run but I haven’t seen too much written that Arsenal had 3 academy products in our starting 11, plus another 2 Englishmen who were both written off as high priced flops before they’d kicked a ball for us. Add in a left back and centre mid both under 21 and both who 95% of the football media wouldn’t have even heard off. You probably don’t hear much because it would mean a bit of an about turn for some writers who had already formed their narrative on arsenal, sometimes that narrative goes back years.

Post #527787  Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:41 am 

Both Saka and Smith Rowe are great adverts for our youth program. Their success should hopefully aid us in attracting quality kids. Maybe overcome Chelsea's money. Maybe. In some cases at least.

Post #527788  Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:11 am 

kiwipete wrote:

it's half a kangeroo over the side with a hook the size of the Titanic's anchor .

Not dead then? That's a good thing. Welcome back.

Billy old sastard.

Post #527789  Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:17 pm 

Was suprised to hear that AMN was our third oldest player on Sunday at 24. Only Aubameyang and Lacazette were older.

Post #527790  Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:50 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Zed wrote:

Gianluca Vialli, he was a pretty serious striker before chelsea. Remember him smashing in a serious scissor kick at Highbury for sampdoria in a friendly and thinking wow I wish we could have him.

Thanks TG. Forgot about Vialli. After Sampdoria he went to Juve.

Post #527791  Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:54 pm 

Zed wrote:

What about Ravenelli?

Post #527792  Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:57 pm 

Kucka definitely Guy Ritchie material, tatts and all. If, when Ritchie makes another film after The Gentlemen. :laughing7:

Attachments:
download.jpeg.jpg
download.jpeg.jpg [ 10.04 KB | Viewed 4789 times ]

Post #527793  Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:26 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
socrates wrote:

I wouldn't go that far, Decaf. :laughing7:

Seriously, though, it's great to see the legend that is Kiwi back on the board......if only to make the rest of us look intelligent.

Yeah , yeah ........ Soc .. you know damn well your stakes at your local plummeted when not being able to recycle my pearls of wisdom

For any newer forumites don't be fooled ....... the Socrates moniker suggests some cool , calculated , knowlegable doodle when in fact this little turnip is the polar opposite .

Many thanks to Bernard , Warrior , Brom , Long Time , Top Gun for the welcome back ; really really nice caring cultured people

.... unlike the nematode I'm replying to on this post .

:laughing7:

Post #527794  Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:44 pm 

Bored wrote:
Zed wrote:

What about Ravenelli?
Triffic player - big presence on the pitch.

Post #527795  Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:31 am 

Zed wrote:
Thanks TG. Forgot about Vialli. After Sampdoria he went to Juve.

Vialli always made me think of ravioli. Some sort of source flavoured with cheese is a given for the topping (Parmesan is the obvious answer for an Italian dish) but what are people’s favourite ingredients for the inners? A bit of protein (bacon would be my personal choice) and a vegetable (spinach is a good candidate) are useful startling points in my view.

Ravioli isn’t really fine dining (I’ve not noticed it on a Michelin Star Italian restaurant) but it’s so traditional so worth considering.

Post #527796  Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:52 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Hi OMOH, I think your last comment about living in Italy is probably the most accurate. Why would an Italian want to live in a completely different culture, learn English, put up with worse weather and worse food when they can still get paid a kings ransom and stay at home. :icon_mrgreen:

Similarly not that many English players seem to want to go to Italy either. While it's a hard transition with the language and cultural differences I always thought there would be some appeal to living and playing in Italy, even just for the experience. Although given the salaries they're on, most English footballers can just jump on the plane for the weekend and then fly home. :laughing7:

Post #527797  Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:00 am 

grantyboy wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Hi OMOH, I think your last comment about living in Italy is probably the most accurate. Why would an Italian want to live in a completely different culture, learn English, put up with worse weather and worse food when they can still get paid a kings ransom and stay at home. :icon_mrgreen:

Similarly not that many English players seem to want to go to Italy either. While it's a hard transition with the language and cultural differences I always thought there would be some appeal to living and playing in Italy, even just for the experience. Although given the salaries they're on, most English footballers can just jump on the plane for the weekend and then fly home. :laughing7:

I see your old mans back on line. Does his parole officer know about him using this site.

Post #527798  Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:03 am 

Rich wrote:
Emile Smith Rowe rightly getting a lot of talk and praise in the media at the moment, and generally Arsenal getting decent press for our run but I haven’t seen too much written that Arsenal had 3 academy products in our starting 11, plus another 2 Englishmen who were both written off as high priced flops before they’d kicked a ball for us. Add in a left back and centre mid both under 21 and both who 95% of the football media wouldn’t have even heard off. You probably don’t hear much because it would mean a bit of an about turn for some writers who had already formed their narrative on arsenal, sometimes that narrative goes back years.

Hi Rich, a good run of form no doubt.

I think many (myself included) are waiting to see how things progress from here as we're still balancing on the knife's edge in some games and a few dicky results or boring draws and the same questions will start to pop up again. I think it's a lot easier and safer for the media to say nothing at this stage as the historical narrative has been a safer bet. Nor does slow and steady progress help sell news in the same that hyperbolic headlines do.

Tbh I'm happy that they're not making any noise because footballers read the news as well and I wouldn't want this young team getting a false sense of overconfidence.

If we start scoring a lot more goals or regularly competing with the current favourites then I think you'll see the media interest kick off.

Post #527799  Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:06 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

I see your old mans back on line. Does his parole officer know about him using this site.

Parole officer is probably grateful for the peace and quiet. :laughing7:

Post #527800  Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:13 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Any possibility you two re - tards could get on with doing a day's work and help the ailing Aussie economy instead of fannying around on the Gleiber .....?

[ 562427 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13192, 13193, 13194, 13195, 13196, 13197, 13198 ... 14061  Next