Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, grantyboy, john1 and 287 guests

Post #502001  Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:08 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Before you pervs say anything, I'm studying goal celebrations.

Post #502002  Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:09 pm 

warrior wrote:
Özil's agent reveals why ex-Arsenal star didn't take a pay cut at the Emirates

https://www.goal.com/en-au/news/ozil-ag ... 032c77d4ec

See - He was only putting others before himself.

So he chose to put the club in further debt and risk all their jobs.

When we look back on his time with us in a few years I’ll probably remember him as a complete tadger. When his name is brought up all I now think of are his arguments.

Post #502003  Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:20 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
This one though...still doing 'researh' :58big-emoticons:

So ... erm ... what exactly is researh? (With a weird thumbs-up immediately afterwards.)

Post #502004  Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:57 pm 

:20hospitals:

Below, I've done the math already of how it all works out.

Attachments:

Post #502005  Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:13 pm 

warrior wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Before you pervs say anything, I'm studying goal celebrations.

...more 'research'.

Post #502006  Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:19 pm 

Post #502007  Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:40 pm 

warrior wrote:

I like Arteta. He talks a lot of sense.

Post #502008  Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:48 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
...When we look back on his time with us in a few years I’ll probably remember him as a complete tadger. When his name is brought up all I now think of are his arguments.
I'll always remember him as a sublime player of great skill. This century we have had some excellent creative midfielders - Pires, Fabregas, Rosicky, Wilshere, Cazorla - and Özil was another. Forget the pay cut disinformation - the club was never in danger of going financially south because of Özil, who had in fact brought a huge market and valuable sponsorship with him when he signed his contract.

Post #502009  Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:09 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
warrior wrote:

I like Arteta. He talks a lot of sense.

Amazing how times change.

Post #502010  Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:50 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
...When we look back on his time with us in a few years I’ll probably remember him as a complete tadger. When his name is brought up all I now think of are his arguments.
I'll always remember him as a sublime player of great skill. This century we have had some excellent creative midfielders - Pires, Fabregas, Rosicky, Wilshere, Cazorla - and Özil was another. Forget the pay cut disinformation - the club was never in danger of going financially south because of Özil, who had in fact brought a huge market and valuable sponsorship with him when he signed his contract.

And you left Liam Brady off the list? For me Brady is the best creative midfielder I’ve seen play for the club. Way before my time but what about Alex James, who you will have seen countless times?

I can see Ødegaard walking into your list soon. Very soon.

Post #502011  Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:59 pm 

Fabrizio Romano has said on his YouTube channel that ‘Arsenal are preparing something for Raphinha’ he has a £25m release clause if Leeds get relegated. Lots of teams are interested in him. As far as a gettable prem ready attacking player he’s probably as good as you can get.

Post #502012  Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:00 pm 

Bernard wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

And you left Liam Brady off the list? For me Brady is the best creative midfielder I’ve seen play for the club. Way before my time but what about Alex James, who you will have seen countless times?

I would assume it was the ‘this century’ part of the post that left those you mentioned off the list. Must be the reason John Jensen is t there as well

Post #502013  Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:46 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I would assume it was the ‘this century’ part of the post that left those you mentioned off the list. Must be the reason John Jensen is t there as well

Fair point regarding Brady, and indeed James who I never saw. My mistake. Mind you, Ødegaard is this century so should probably already be in the list.

Post #502014  Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:01 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Forget the pay cut disinformation - the club was never in danger of going financially south because of Özil, who had in fact brought a huge market and valuable sponsorship with him when he signed his contract.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but what huge market and valuable sponsors opened up to Arsenal when Özil signed his contract? Did any companies begin sponsoring the club because of Özil? What huge markets opened up because of Özil?

Post #502015  Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:12 pm 

Rich wrote:
You got it! 2000 onwards otherwise John would have been the creative benchmark.

Post #502016  Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:15 pm 

Bernard wrote:
...Ødegaard is this century so should probably already be in the list.
No Arsenal fan will complain if Ødegaard hits the creative heights of the others I mentioned. Hopefully he can.

Post #502017  Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:32 pm 

Bernard wrote:
I’m not saying you’re wrong, but what huge market and valuable sponsors opened up to Arsenal when Özil signed his contract? Did any companies begin sponsoring the club because of Özil? What huge markets opened up because of Özil?
He was a galactico, probably the first one we had signed since Alan Ball, though that phrase was not used way back then. It was a massive statement of intent and reversal of the selling our best men philosophy. His personal social media following was massive compared to other Arsenal players; shirt sales were very big here and overseas and his arrival was followed shortly by the Adidas and Rwanda sponsorship deals. He was also very popular down Petticoat Lane, Spitalfields and Covent Garden...

Post #502018  Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:14 am 

Thankfully, no Arsenal players on there.

https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=1630404787337240

Post #502019  Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:17 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
He was a galactico, probably the first one we had signed since Alan Ball, though that phrase was not used way back then. It was a massive statement of intent and reversal of the selling our best men philosophy. His personal social media following was massive compared to other Arsenal players; shirt sales were very big here and overseas and his arrival was followed shortly by the Adidas and Rwanda sponsorship deals. He was also very popular down Petticoat Lane, Spitalfields and Covent Garden...

#facts

At the time but it was never lost on me he was a huge signing for us and this coming from a person who wanted us to sign Fagregas instead. His signing got people everywhere talking about Özil. You also left out the fact he played on a Germany side at the time that was arguably the best in the world, and definitely the best in Europe.

Head scratcher how anyone could not view his signing as massive and Arsenal showing intent.

Post #502020  Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:25 am 

Not sure I agree, but you all can weigh in.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/03/31/jamie-carragher-urges-arsenal-to-follow-liverpool-transfer-strategy-to-challenge-for-the-title-16379801/?fbclid=IwAR0DHfGMmcZk_QY7RM5MWIsGRZr0cWxNCwDQ2uPACjXYYshOrmhVgzHYtvo
Jamie Carragher urges Arsenal to follow Liverpool transfer strategy to challenge for the title

‘Arsenal need to get fourth,’ Carragher said at a Sky Bet fan debate.

‘When you liken it to what [Jurgen] Klopp did at Liverpool… Arsenal are at a stage where they haven’t got a [Cristiano] Ronaldo, they haven’t got a [Harry] Kane.

‘The next two or three signings for Arsenal have to be Alisson, have to be [Virgil] van Dijk, what they were for Liverpool.

‘To take you from sort of fighting for the top four to making that jump where you’re competing with City, Liverpool, right at this moment, Chelsea. That’s Arsenal’s next thing.’

Post #502021  Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:22 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Isn’t the Rwanda sales explained by having the name on our shirts? Did Adidas pay us more because we signed Özil? I doubt it. Arsenal don’t get a penny from non official sales down Petticoat Lane, Spitalfields and Covent Garden.

Post #502022  Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:25 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Head scratcher how anyone could not view his signing as massive and Arsenal showing intent.

The head scratcher is whether you can name anyone on the forum who has denied that signing Özil was massive.

Post #502023  Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:27 am 

Would have got the Rwandan sponsorship anyway which was more about the UK government giving theirs a load of cash.

Honestly 2 good seasons. Rest of the time was pretending not to mention rightly or wrongly he alienated the Chinese market.

Post #502024  Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:06 pm 

Bernard wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

The head scratcher is whether you can name anyone on the forum who has denied that signing Özil was massive.

As you say. It seems highly unlikely, verging on impossible, that anyone did.

Post #502025  Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:34 pm 

Arteta named 'Manager of the Month'.

Bugr.

Post #502026  Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:50 pm 

DHD wrote:

Bugr.

Well deserved.

Post #502027  Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:10 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
DHD wrote:

Bugr.

Well deserved.

Maybe, but we all know what comes next.

Post #502028  Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:20 pm 

Is it the same jinx after winning PL player of the month? :26surprise:

Post #502029  Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:24 pm 

Big question that will be answered is can Leicester get something out of their visit to Old Trafford? Also, can Newcastle get something from their visit to White Hart Lane? Both challenging clubs playing at home makes it unlikley to drop points against either club but as we have seen this season, such clubs have taken points at both venues.

Post #502030  Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:57 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
...rightly or wrongly he alienated the Chinese market.
That makes him an even bigger man in my eyes. His concern for the Uighur people in China should be applauded rather than censured. As this interesting article points out Arsenal's response to political comments from its staff was at best inconsistent and at worst craven in the face of the desire for lucre. As the article describes Özil was erased and then shamefully left undefended by the club when his character assassination began.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/26/spor ... china.html

Post #502031  Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:12 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Isn’t the Rwanda sales explained by having the name on our shirts? Did Adidas pay us more because we signed Özil? I doubt it. Arsenal don’t get a penny from non official sales down Petticoat Lane, Spitalfields and Covent Garden.
Thinking about it you must be right. It is obvious Adidas came to Arsenal because we had all those other World Cup winners and galacticos to sell their kits, such as Iwobi, Elneny, Welbeck, Suarez, Mustafi, Mkhitaryan, Guendouzi etc.

Post #502032  Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:19 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Thinking about it you must be right. It is obvious Adidas came to Arsenal because we had all those other World Cup winners and galacticos to sell their kits, such as Iwobi, Elneny, Welbeck, Suarez, Mustafi, Mkhitaryan, Guendouzi etc.

Oh of course. It had nothing to do with the fame of the club, did it?

Post #502033  Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:43 pm 

Bernard wrote:
I think it did.

Post #502034  Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:32 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I think it did.

So do I.

Post #502035  Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:43 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
...rightly or wrongly he alienated the Chinese market.
That makes him an even bigger man in my eyes. His concern for the Uighur people in China should be applauded rather than censured. As this interesting article points out Arsenal's response to political comments from its staff was at best inconsistent and at worst craven in the face of the desire for lucre. As the article describes Özil was erased and then shamefully left undefended by the club when his character assassination began.

Old Man .... next Xmas instead of the Little Richards LP s ask Santa for a couple of brain cells ... the Urghur people that everyone wanks on about ... China doesn't do the BLM ; they dont let dipshits burn down Seattle Minneapolis etc ... they go in hard run over a couple with tanks
I'd ask you and Mesut ... how come not ONE Muslim country has condemned China for its actions ...?

Post #502036  Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:21 pm 

Chelsea conceding 3 goals in 10 minutes ... :42laughter:

Post #502037  Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:32 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Old Man .... next Xmas instead of the Little Richards LP s ask Santa for a couple of brain cells ... the Urghur people that everyone wanks on about ... China doesn't do the BLM ; they dont let dipshits burn down Seattle Minneapolis etc ... they go in hard run over a couple with tanks
I'd ask you and Mesut ... how come not ONE Muslim country has condemned China for its actions ...?

My guess is much the same reason no Christian majority country cares when Christian Ethiopians are slaughtered.

Authoritarianism sure looks great through a haze of rum in a safe living-room in a solidly liberal country.

Not so good if you are on the receiving end in Yemen, Ukraine, or Western China.

Post #502038  Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:42 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Chelsea conceding 3 goals in 10 minutes ... :42laughter:

We'd be 5 points behind with a game in hand and still to play them. Could Chelsea get dragged back in to the top 4 race? It would be nice if this 9 point deduction became a thing.....

Post #502039  Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:45 pm 

Another goal for Balogun for Boro today. He's looking good at this level. It will be interesting what we do with him next season. If we're in Europe (CL or Europa) we're going to add a fair few numbers to the squad. If we can add a couple of strikers then a season on loan at a prem club would be ideal for Balogun

Post #502040  Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:48 pm 

Chelsea 1 4 Brentford :58big-emoticons:

[ 529274 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12548, 12549, 12550, 12551, 12552, 12553, 12554 ... 13232  Next