Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, grantyboy, john1 and 275 guests

Post #497481  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:17 am 

What is clear is that we need to get this striker signing right. Its probably more important than any other signing we have had to make.

Whether its a transfer record breaking signing for an established player or a lesser fee for some young kid with potential it needs to be right.

No point signing our 5th choice option in Jan if we could tie up a deal for our 1st choice option to join in the summer.

Post #497482  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:22 am 

socrates wrote:
What is clear is that we need to get this striker signing right. Its probably more important than any other signing we have had to make.

Whether its a transfer record breaking signing for an established player or a lesser fee for some young kid with potential it needs to be right.

No point signing our 5th choice option in Jan if we could tie up a deal for our 1st choice option to join in the summer.

Thing is people are forgetting in the summer it looks pretty certain we will lose all 3 strikers Aubameyang, Lacazette and Nketiah. Nailed on.

If that’s the case we will need to sign 2 strikers in the summer not 1.

You could go in the direction of signing someone like Antony Martial for a lower fee now then make your main signing this summer. We will need more than 1 to cover 3 departures in this position

Post #497483  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:23 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:
Realistically, does anyone expect a big move for a striker this window?

Unless we are prepared to pay over the odds to get someone in ahead of our rivals.

No.

I think the links to the fiorentina guy seems fanciful. I don’t understand why he would come to us at all, let alone in January and how we have the money (it would break our transfer record). I will happily fall off my chair if it happens and be happy to be proved wrong

Absolutely. I've read what feels like dozens of stories about Vlahovic in the last few months, not one of which suggests he has the slightest interest in signing for us.

Post #497484  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:14 am 

Hopefully it’s not a muddy pitch on Sunday then.

https://www.skysports.com/share/12508059

Post #497485  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:15 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

Thing is people are forgetting in the summer it looks pretty certain we will lose all 3 strikers Aubameyang, Lacazette and Nketiah. Nailed on.

You could go in the direction of signing someone like Antony Martial for a lower fee now then make your main signing this summer. We will need more than 1 to cover 3 departures in this position

Good point, well made.

Post #497486  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:16 am 

Now it’s being said xhaka hasn’t trained all week maybe because of a problem and will probably miss forest.

You lose lokonga now and we have real problems

Post #497487  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:41 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Good point, well made.

Agreed, apart from the Martial bit, I wouldn't touch him at all. He may be available for a low fee if Man U are desperate to sell but his wages are £200k+ per week, and he's 26 now. Sign him and he fails to produce you're stuck with him for the length of his contract - we cant put ourselves in that position again.

One way to retain the value is buy young proven prem strikers - you'll pay over the odds but Calvert-Lewin, Watkins or Tammy Abraham are the 3 that tick those boxes (I know Abraham is at Roma now).
Otherwise go for someone like Jonathan David at Lille. He's probably more in the £40-50m price bracket than the £70m+.

From everything I've read and seen he'd be my current choice of striker

Post #497488  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:14 am 

Assuming some if not most of you have seen it but for those that haven't. 'Belfast' is a fine little movie. Its about a protestant family in that city in 1969. May want to see it, its not too bad.

Post #497489  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:16 am 

DHD wrote:
Darren wrote:
And yet some were questioning Ødegaard's signing. The bloke is class. Whilst maybe not as mercurial as an on form Özil, he seems more robust and a better fit for this version of Arsenal. Seems to have bought in to what's required. I think he's a terific player.

Agree - he's been superb recently in a more free-ranging role. My only disappointment is that so far, we don't seem to have been able to successfully fit Ødegaard and Emile Smith Rowe (who I also think is superb) in the same midfield.

Similarly, whilst Martinelli has been scintillating recently and is well worth a starting place, Tierney is far less effective as an attacking force when Martinelli plays.

At the risk of disrupting our current successful set-up, I'd love to see Emile Smith Rowe starting and Tierney getting forward more often.

I was definitely one of the voices questioning why we would sign Ødegaard over what I deemed better options. In his first loan spell with us you could see he had some skills. I think I am partially vincidated in my doubts about him at that time because I think his head was in Madrid.

However, it seems that he's given up that dream mentally and is settled and dare I say committed to us now. His form reflects it. I'm happily wrong about him.

Post #497490  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:22 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Now it’s being said xhaka hasn’t trained all week maybe because of a problem and will probably miss forest.

You lose lokonga now and we have real problems

Yep. We might need AMN in there.

Post #497491  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:22 am 

long time gooner wrote:

Adidas are regularly absolutely smashing it for us. Irrespective of how much you like the kits (my opinion is they've all been at least 'good') their marketing and promotional stuff always seems to hit he right note - even down to the famous people, players and fans they use in the ads and virals.

Post #497492  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:01 pm 

At this point, I would definitely look to extend Lacazette's contract. Even if he's overpaid for what he brings, he's a big part of this current team, and we can't expect any new signing to hit the ground running - they might if we're lucky, but it's never a guarantee. In the meantime we need a striker option we know can deliver, and Lacazette has never complained about being a backup. From what I've seen he's always given everything he's got, even if he only comes on as a sub.

Post #497493  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:24 pm 

Rich , Jonathan David would be a great shout and don't think he would cost as much as 40 to 50 million , more 30 to 35 million.
I'd steer clear of Watkins and Calvert Lewin. Good players but no way are they going for less than 60 million. Not worth it.
Need to be savvy with a Isak , David or Cabral type of signing though i appreciate Isak might be a bit more than 30 to 35.

Few times i have seen Kessie play he has been impressive.
Would be an absolute steal on a free and has a lot to his game. Either him or Guimaraes would be great.
I think we should go all out on Kessie or someone like Zakaria who is also on a free in the summer.

Happy that Coutinho looks to be going to Villa. Big no to him.

With our threadbare midfield could we possibly see game time for Patino coming up starting on Sunday?

Great shout from Top Gun.
We all think its one striker but with 3 going maybe it could be 2 unless he is going to fill the gaps with Martinelli and a returning Balogun if he smashes it on loan.

Post #497494  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:25 pm 

Bit nervy about Forest.
They knocked us out at this stage i think a few years ago.
I think Arteta will take this seriously and go semi strong.

Post #497495  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:40 pm 

Rich wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Adidas are regularly absolutely smashing it for us. Irrespective of how much you like the kits (my opinion is they've all been at least 'good') their marketing and promotional stuff always seems to hit he right note - even down to the famous people, players and fans they use in the ads and virals.

Hey Rich,

I know its mostly bollocks but who are the favourite twitter ITKs at the moment?

Post #497496  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:36 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Hey Rich,

I know its mostly bollocks but who are the favourite twitter ITKs at the moment?

The only guy who I really trust is Fabrizio Romano. I follow a lot of Arsenal accounts on twitter but they mainly just post rumours they've picked up elsewhere so they're not trying to be ITK more like messengers which is always interesting even if it is all bollocks as you say.

Fabrizio Romano is the king of transfers.

David Ornstein is worth following as he seems to play things with a pretty straight bat.

Post #497497  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:40 pm 

david.d wrote:
Bit nervy about Forest.
They knocked us out at this stage i think a few years ago.
I think Arteta will take this seriously and go semi strong.

They knocked us out in 2018, but then we beat them 5-0 in the league cup in 2019.

I think the team will be close to this:
Leno, Cédric, Tavares, White, Holding, Lokonga, Patino, Emile Smith Rowe, Martinelli, Saka, Nketiah. Arteta may play Hutchinson instead of either Martinelli or Saka but I think he's more likely to bring him off the bench - Arteta hasn't ever really gone for broke starting the kids even when there seems to have been a good opportunity

Post #497498  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:47 pm 

david.d wrote:
Rich , Jonathan David would be a great shout and don't think he would cost as much as 40 to 50 million , more 30 to 35 million.
I'd steer clear of Watkins and Calvert Lewin. Good players but no way are they going for less than 60 million. Not worth it.
Need to be savvy with a Isak , David or Cabral type of signing though i appreciate Isak might be a bit more than 30 to 35.

Few times i have seen Kessie play he has been impressive.
Would be an absolute steal on a free and has a lot to his game. Either him or Guimaraes would be great.
I think we should go all out on Kessie or someone like Zakaria who is also on a free in the summer.

Happy that Coutinho looks to be going to Villa. Big no to him.

With our threadbare midfield could we possibly see game time for Patino coming up starting on Sunday?

Great shout from Top Gun.
We all think its one striker but with 3 going maybe it could be 2 unless he is going to fill the gaps with Martinelli and a returning Balogun if he smashes it on loan.

Lille signed David for £22m so I doubt they'd sell him for just a £10m ish profit. He won the French league with them last year and his goal record is even better this year. I think he's a £40m+
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jonatha ... ler/533738

Countinho I agree is a relief to swerve. Just doesn't fit with any of the good recruitment and planning we've done recently. Villa paying 65% of his salary and have an option to buy for £33m at the end of the season. Stay well away please Arsenal. Big name players only guarantee big wages and all that.

I've seen more rumours around Lamptey, he does look an exciting full back. I think we need better quality and competition at right back but I'm not sure whether you go for a Tomiyasu opposite (which is pretty much Lamptey) or try to get a young replica Tomiyasu or even a versatile reliable player like Mazraoui who is more of a defensive right back who can also play defensive midfield and he's also on a free transfer at the end of the season.

Post #497499  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:51 pm 

My take on Arsenal's next steps with the squad re-build:

Players who will have left in the summer: Kolasinac, Elneny, Nketiah, Lacazette, Guendouzi, Mavropanos and Chambers contract is up but I think we have a 1 year option to extend it. (7) (approx £15m in sales there)

Players we probably want to sell or who want to leave: Leno, Runarsson, Mari, Cédric, Bellerin, Torreira, AMN, Pépé, Nelson, Aubameyang (10) (maybe £60m there being pessimistic)

Which leaves: Ramsdale, Tierney, Tavares, Tomiyasu, White, Gabriel, Holding, Saliba(?),Xhaka, Partey, Lokonga, Emile Smith Rowe, Saka, Ødegaard, Martinelli, Balogun (16)

I’d argue that of the definite leavers only Lacazette and Elneny need to be replaced based on their contributions this season.
Of the 10 players we likely want to leave I think we’d manage to find a buyer for Leno, Mari, Torreira and AMN quite easily. Bellerin I think we’ll need to take a hit on fee because his wages will be high. Nelson would likely only be a nominal sub £5m fee. Cédric we won’t be able to shift. Runarsson will likely stay on loan until his contract is up. That leaves Aubameyang and Pépé – I could see both being with us next season still.

So that would leave the 16 above plus Cédric, Aubameyang and Pépé. If we’re in Europe we’d need a 25 man squad as a minimum. So would need to add a No. 2 GK, a No.3 GK (academy player), a right back (assuming Cédric just becomes 3rd choice on either flank), another central midfielder and two strikers. That brings us to a 25 man first team squad.

Post #497500  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:52 pm 

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hey Rich,

The only guy who I really trust is Fabrizio Romano. I follow a lot of Arsenal accounts on twitter but they mainly just post rumours they've picked up elsewhere so they're not trying to be ITK more like messengers which is always interesting even if it is all bollocks as you say.

Fabrizio Romano is the king of transfers.

David Ornstein is worth following as he seems to play things with a pretty straight bat.

I was thinking along the lines of the pretend ITKs who post stuff which occasionally hits the mark but is mostly just wishful thinking. There seem to be a few of those accounts every window. Fun to read even if you know its mostly bollocks.

Post #497501  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:57 pm 

https://www.football365.com/news/ornste ... er-january

Still don't think it will happen

Post #497502  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:01 pm 

Looks like i'll be going to our semi final 2nd leg courtesy of my Brother and Nephew.
Ages since I have been. So excited.
I think the seats are Block 118 , row 12.
Anyone know if this is a good view/upper/lower tier though from memory the whole stadium gives you a good view!!

Post #497503  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:14 pm 

david.d wrote:
Looks like i'll be going to our semi final 2nd leg courtesy of my Brother and Nephew.
Anyone know if this is a good view/upper/lower tier though from memory the whole stadium gives you a good view!!

https://www.arsenal.com/emirates-stadiu ... ating-plan

Post #497504  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:32 pm 

Arteta says there are COVID and injuries in the Arsenal team right now:

"It was for COVID and for injuries as well. I don't want to give anything away as you can imagine. We are really short with numbers. We want to play and that's how we are approaching every game."

.. so clearly xhaka has covid (anti vax loon) amongst others

Post #497505  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:25 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Arteta says there are COVID and injuries in the Arsenal team right now:

"It was for COVID and for injuries as well. I don't want to give anything away as you can imagine. We are really short with numbers. We want to play and that's how we are approaching every game."

.. so clearly xhaka has covid (anti vax loon) amongst others

Arteta also said 'we are going to move and look for options' when asked about transfers in central midfield

Post #497506  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:26 pm 

Son is out for 2 weeks - will almost certainly miss the NLD. Good news for us because he's been a thorn in our side before and is a very good player (who I'm amazed hasn't demanded a move to a top tier club yet)

Post #497507  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:39 pm 

Rich wrote:
Son is out for 2 weeks - will almost certainly miss the NLD. Good news for us because he's been a thorn in our side before and is a very good player (who I'm amazed hasn't demanded a move to a top tier club yet)

He makes Kane so much better as well

Post #497508  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:46 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
david.d wrote:

https://www.arsenal.com/emirates-stadiu ... ating-plan

Thanks LTG

Post #497509  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:47 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:

He makes Kane so much better as well

Great news

Post #497510  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:51 pm 

Hollywood icon Sidney Poitier has died at age 94 after a career where he became the first black man to win a Best Actor Oscar

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/c ... a728413f83

Post #497511  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:33 pm 

I came home from a HS graduation party and 'To Sir With Love' came on. I was a bit drunk and tired but it caught my attention. To this day the theme song brings out the meloncholy in me.

He also made a few hilarious comedy movies teaming with Bill Cosby as well. He has a huge catolog of work I haven't done justice in this post.

Post #497512  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:42 pm 

warrior wrote:
Hollywood icon Sidney Poitier has died at age 94 after a career where he became the first black man to win a Best Actor Oscar

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/c ... a728413f83

That's three celebrities in a week. Actor Betty White, 99, director Peter Bogdanovich, 82, known for the movie, The Last Picture Show, among others, now Sidney Potier at 94, known for so many outstanding movies, A Patch of Blue, To Sir With Love, The Defiant Ones, etc.
Waiting to see who's next.

Post #497513  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:49 pm 

Newcastle is going the same route as City did when it got money. City signed anyone good who would come for the wages. Anyone, past prime, young, whatever, just to get things going. Eventually they got the right players and manager. Newcastle will be the same. They'll get a title within 5 years give or take, is my guess and a cup or two in the interim.

Post #497514  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:54 pm 

Rich wrote:
2) On Xhaka, as well as the usual moans about his giving away of the penalty she pointed out that he is a big personality in the dressing room and he'll be very important for the players in the aftermath of the defeat to keep moral and concentration high. I find myself constantly at odds with what I think about Xhaka, I can never shake the feeling that he'll cost us in big moments in big games but can also see that he's incredibly trusted by Arteta, is quite vital to how we play the game and he does progress the ball forward as good as any of our central mids. I often think it should be easy to find a left footed central midfielder who has all of Xhaka's passing range but none of his silly moments - but is it?

What Amy Lawrence said appears to coincide closely with a point DHD made a while back, which apart from all of mine was in my view one of the posts of the year. For all the negatives some people moan about, we often look better when Xhaka is in the team and routinely play worse when he isn’t. Sure, there are exceptions when we perform badly with him in the side. But as a general rule I think what DHD said is right and it happens regularly enough to make it being a pure coincidence seem unlikely.

Post #497515  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:33 pm 

Anyone else concerned that we’re going to run out of players sometime soon? Covid, African Cup, injuries etc? We need to be super lucky I think. We have a very small nucleus.

Post #497516  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:06 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Anyone else concerned that we’re going to run out of players sometime soon? Covid, African Cup, injuries etc? We need to be super lucky I think. We have a very small nucleus.

Yes

Think about this

183k new infections today so if this rate continues or increases it will mean you will have 1.8 million of the population in isolation permanently. That’s if they are bothering isolating.

There won’t be many weeks when we aren’t missing players with so much of this stuff about. Hopefully the infections will peak at some point and drop but we aren’t there yet.

Midfield and up front will be the areas we could struggle in. Lose a player there and it really will affect results

Post #497517  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:06 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

Really, really short on numbers so it seems. Game still will be played as is Sunday.

Post #497518  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:16 pm 

It would be quite funny if our game was called off following a week of our fans going chemtrails conspiracy batshit at Liverpool because they had to do likewise

Post #497519  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:34 pm 

Patino and Salah-Eddine don’t play for the U23 tonight. Unless there is a covid issue it seems certain they’ll be involved tomorrow. Balogun also not playing, could be as he’s playing the FA cup or it could be finalising his loan deal to Middlesbrough

Post #497520  Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:10 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
At this point, I would definitely look to extenhad have I d Lacazette's contract. Even if he's overpaid for what he brings, he's a big part of this current job team, and we can't expect any new signing to hit the ground running - they might if we're lucky, but it's never a guarantee. In the meantime we need a striker option we know can deliver, and Lacazette has never complained about being a backup. From what I've seen he's always given everything he's got, even if he only comes on as a sub.

If Lacazette is refusing to extend his contract he obviously doesn’t want to and fancies moving on. I’m not sure we should look to break the bank by offering so much money to make him change his mind. We’ve experienced paying big money to Özil and Aubameyang and I think it’s reasonable to say it hasn’t worked in the club’s best interests.

If he’s so eager to go, and refusing to extend his contract implies that may be the case, I don’t support paying him barmy money to persuade him to alter his plans. He’s not even that exceptional a player. Good but not great is how he fits my definition. Keep him until the end of the season and say goodbye is my vote.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror ... 9140.ampqq

[ 529274 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12435, 12436, 12437, 12438, 12439, 12440, 12441 ... 13232  Next