Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, grantyboy, mcquilkie and 266 guests

Post #497321  Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:41 am 

Looking at the league cup final I was conflicted on who I wanted to win and then just stopped caring.

Post #497322  Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:46 am 

Very handy to see Man U drop 2 points v Watford. Spurs would seem like our barest challengers now.

Also I thought City were very lucky not to concede a penalty in the last minute of their game v Everton.

Post #497323  Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:03 am 

At this point, we should be frontrunners for 4th. If we don't get 4th some may blame our lack of buying in January or depending on HOW we lost 4th may blame Arteta or a few players.

I'm nervous. Like any fan, I want CL football very badly. Right now, all the challengers are trying to lose 4th and we are losing it the least. I am hoping we go on a run and put it out of contention.

Again, I'm nervous. More than just a little. We still have to play Liverpool, Tottenham, Man Utd, and if god forbid we lose them all which is not a far fetch reality, it will be devastating.

Post #497324  Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:42 am 

No point in having VAR if the person watching the screen is inept. Everton totally robbed by the no handball decision.

It makes the game look ridiculous when these sort of decisions are made with the benefit of review. Mike Riley’s mob are a shambles.

Post #497325  Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:06 am 

I saw a bit of the Man Utd game against Watford. They had some very creative flick ons, slight of hand (or foot) passes around the box that almost came off. To me at least, it seemed more creative than what we come up with mostly. I thought they'd score. Sometimes bad finishing. They have some very skilled players. I'd take a Pogba / Partey swap as crazy as that may sound. He looked very good at moments in that game.

For whatever reasons or a myriad of reasons, they can't get it together. And they seem to get it together when they play us.

Post #497326  Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:31 am 

The next 2 games are huge. We play watford and Leicester and should be winning both.
Man U are away at City and then they host Spurs.

Big opportunity for us to put some distance between us and the rest

Wolves and West Ham play each other today. The loser is probably out of the top 4 race

Post #497327  Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:04 am 

Rich wrote:
The next 2 games are huge. We play watford and Leicester and should be winning both.
Man U are away at City and then they host Spurs.

Big opportunity for us to put some distance between us and the rest

Wolves and West Ham play each other today. The loser is probably out of the top 4 race

Our away games against both Chelsea and Tottenham haven’t got dates yet. Frustrating because I think it would be nice to know who we have to play and when.

Post #497328  Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:39 am 

long time gooner wrote:
No point in having VAR if the person watching the screen is inept. Everton totally robbed by the no handball decision.

I thought so too at first, but then I noticed the ref indicating offside as he finally waved the goal off. Apparently Richarlison was deemed offside in the build-up that lead to the handball. There seemed to be some confusion about it, because the speaker at Goodison Park said it had been ruled as no handball.

Post #497329  Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:13 am 

Bielsa gone

Post #497330  Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:43 am 

DHD wrote:
Bielsa gone

That could save Leeds. As explained previously they were fast becoming my favourites to go down. Be interesting to see who they appoint. But whoever it is, they should have enough games to avoid relegation.

Post #497331  Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:03 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I think Leeds will sack their manager. I think the clubs that might get sucked in to the relegation are Brentford and Leeds. I think Everton might escape but not a given.

Gaz have you tonight's lotto numbers?

Post #497332  Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:54 pm 

The Arsenal documentary becomes increasingly a must buy. Its a Cindarella season of sorts so far. A few things I'm hoping to get more info on are:
1. Aubameyang
2. Saliba
3. Xhaka
4. Arteta's meeting with Stan

Post #497333  Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:26 pm 

Watched MOTD last night. After the Leeds game, as was always the case, their now dismissed manager Bielsa gave his post-match interview via an interpreter. He was in charge at Leeds in excess of 3 years 8 months, so approaching four years (15/6/18 - 27/2/22).

I remember Emery getting criticised here for not taking to the English language quickly enough. Well he was at Arsenal a little more than eighteen months (23/5/18 - 29/11/19). But he was giving his post-match interviews in English and made himself easy to understand, so spoke the dialect quite competently.

I wonder what the reaction to Bielsa would have been from some of our fans here?

Post #497334  Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:59 pm 

Bernard wrote:

I wonder what the reaction to Bielsa would have been from some of our fans here?

I guess it would entirely be informed by performances and results.

Post #497335  Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:04 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

I thought so too at first, but then I noticed the ref indicating offside as he finally waved the goal off. Apparently Richarlison was deemed offside in the build-up that lead to the handball. There seemed to be some confusion about it, because the speaker at Goodison Park said it had been ruled as no handball.

Some confusion? Dead right. Everybody, including the managers, still thought handball was the decision well after the game.

If it was given for offside then they need to communicate a whole lot better.

Post #497336  Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:26 pm 

Putin has just lost the carabao cup.

Post #497337  Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:25 pm 

Ash wrote:
Bernard wrote:

If I recall correctly, the issue with Emery wasn't that we couldn't understand what he was saying, although that did not help Rather it was that we could not understand what he was trying to do with the team.

Post #497338  Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:45 pm 

Aubameyang scores for Barca again
Wonder if he went behind Arteta's back to get his Barca deal

Post #497339  Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:01 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Ash wrote:

If I recall correctly, the issue with Emery wasn't that we couldn't understand what he was saying, although that did not help Rather it was that we could not understand what he was trying to do with the team.

You certainly couldn't say that about Bielsa. Leeds have a very distinctive style which the players work hard at to execute.

I know Bielsa is lauded by the media and by Pep and Arteta. But I would have my doubts. It might be exciting to watch but that high risk football is hugely difficult to execute against teams with better players. There is absolutely no defensive pragmatism to how he gets his teams to play, and to compound it, he won't change even when he is forced to play the kids when missing some of the experienced regulars.

Post #497340  Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:12 pm 

dec wrote:
Decaf wrote:

You certainly couldn't say that about Bielsa. Leeds have a very distinctive style which the players work hard at to execute.

I know Bielsa is lauded by the media and by Pep and Arteta. But I would have my doubts. It might be exciting to watch but that high risk football is hugely difficult to execute against teams with better players. There is absolutely no defensive pragmatism to how he gets his teams to play, and to compound it, he won't change even when he is forced to play the kids when missing some of the experienced regulars.

I didn’t mind that too much to be fair :laughing7:

Post #497341  Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:52 pm 

Decaf wrote:

I certainly do recall Emery being criticised for his English.

Post #497342  Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:06 pm 

Gosh. Good luck Oleg. https://metro.co.uk/2022/02/27/former-a ... CvWxtjWAc4

Post #497343  Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:29 pm 

Aubameyang, a scoring machine for Barca.

Post #497344  Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:46 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

Respect!

So sad that this war has to happen

Post #497345  Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:50 am 

Arsenal womens team beat Liverpool overnight. Check out this screamer from Katie Mccabe on a full volley. Arsenal mens team take notes..

https://www.sporf.com/arsenal-womens-st ... liverpool/

Post #497346  Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:58 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
So the world has to watch Ukraine getting torn to pieces like it’s some sort of sporting event whilst one of the globes largest armies uses hi tech weapons to blow up blocks of flats of people. You can’t avoid it on the tv and radio a feel like some sort of voyeur when you hear about the carnage.

Every western politician should be painted in Ukrainian colours and dumped in Kyiv. Complete bunch of *%^@*** failures the lot of them. Also likewise for any of the dinlows supporting obvious Russian foreign policy initiatives like *%^@*** brexit, trump and covid denial. Take a look at yourselves you absolute total and utter morons.

Boot every *%^@*** Russian out the country, take their money, property in west London the lot. An absolute failure in humanity.

Thousands of deaths for what, absolutely *%^@*** nothing. If you think we can solve issues like climate change you are kidding yourselves. The world is an evil place.

and I bet you were just as outraged when the RAF bombed Belgrade for nearly three months or when the Yanks killed nearly three hundred thousand Iraqi women and children or created a humanitarian crisis in Syria

Stupid beyond belief , you have absolutely no idea what is going on

Post #497347  Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:04 am 

dec wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Bielsa is the godfather of coaching - his blueprint is the basis for the methods of some of the world’s best coaches ( Klopp, Guardiola, pochettino etc)
Leeds’ problem is he is the purest form of himself, whereas others have taken his philosophy and adapted it.
If he had been able to adapt I think he would have continued to take Leeds forward
IMHO we shouldn’t take Leeds as the legacy of Bielsa’s contribution to world football

Post #497348  Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:13 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Sorry, was just listening to radio 5 and it’s really hard listening to these poor poor *%^@ers begging for help that won’t be coming...
Yes, being serious now, it feels depressingly helpless for the innocents involved. The only consolation is that even if Putin wins the battle he has surely signed Russia up to a long-term war that will drain them dry. Apparently there are already thousands of dead Russian soldiers, and the Ukrainians will fight hard to defend their lives. Abramovich is ok though...

Not one of your better efforts Old Man . Try some thing other than the BBC World Service .
Russians wont be drained dry at all , they'll consolidate all the Russian speaking areas and leave the Western Ukraine alone .

Thousands of dead Russians ... Ha ha ha stop it my sides hurt ..who wrote that one Tom Clancy .

All these sanctions will backfire .... England cancels Aeroflot fights into London etc ... Russia Okay you can't use our air space a 5 hour extension on a flight to Asia . Cancelled Nord Stream 2 ...how clever ...... now watch your energy costs in the UK start to rise .
Biden , Blinken , Liz Truss , Boris , Scholz had plenty of opportunity to avert this .

Post #497349  Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:53 am 

kiwipete wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
So the world has to watch Ukraine getting torn to pieces like it’s some sort of sporting event whilst one of the globes largest armies uses hi tech weapons to blow up blocks of flats of people. You can’t avoid it on the tv and radio a feel like some sort of voyeur when you hear about the carnage.

Every western politician should be painted in Ukrainian colours and dumped in Kyiv. Complete bunch of *%^@*** failures the lot of them. Also likewise for any of the dinlows supporting obvious Russian foreign policy initiatives like *%^@*** brexit, trump and covid denial. Take a look at yourselves you absolute total and utter morons.

Boot every *%^@*** Russian out the country, take their money, property in west London the lot. An absolute failure in humanity.

Thousands of deaths for what, absolutely *%^@*** nothing. If you think we can solve issues like climate change you are kidding yourselves. The world is an evil place.

and I bet you were just as outraged when the RAF bombed Belgrade for nearly three months or when the Yanks killed nearly three hundred thousand Iraqi women and children or created a humanitarian crisis in Syria

I'm amazed that you are so convinced that you do know what is going on, considering how often you are wrong.

I watch a variety of news sources and feeds for analysis. I find it hard to be as certain as you seem to be, but right now I find it hard to draw any other conclusion than that what is at the bottom of this is Putin's dangerous ambition to restore a mad version of orthodox Christendom, and avenge the wrongs that he sees Russia as having experienced down the centuries. Do you actually listen to his speeches? He's scary as *(&( and batshit mad. He literally sees himself as the success to St Vladimir of Kiev. Its as bonkers and far more dangerous that Mussolini's Caesar delusions.

The rest is just whataboutism, bunk and pretext.

I don't envy Biden and other responsible leader. Their job is to somehow contain this nutter without sparking a full nuclear Armageddon.

Post #497350  Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:59 am 

kiwipete wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

What planet are you on. If you are comparing this as a similar event to the nato bombing of Yugoslavia to stop ethnic cleansing you are simply not worth speaking to. Resorting to Dropping bombs is a political failure as far as I see it, aiming rockets deliberately at housing blocks of innocents is a war crime and act of evil. Sort yourself out.

Post #497351  Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:03 am 

Kulusevski looks a good buy for Spurs, we were linked with him, although the prices when we were rumoured to be linked were £30m, Spurs have paid £10m loan fee with a £40m option to buy. Either way he looks a good fit for them and young at only 21.

Post #497352  Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:22 am 

Rich wrote:
Kulusevski looks a good buy for Spurs, we were linked with him, although the prices when we were rumoured to be linked were £30m, Spurs have paid £10m loan fee with a £40m option to buy. Either way he looks a good fit for them and young at only 21.

Really hate the fact that he went to Spurs. Speaking as a Swede, we actually have a very interesting attack forming with Kulusevski, Isak, Elanga and Forsberg. For so many years the national team was ten plonkers and Ibrahimovic. Would really like Kulusevski and Elanga to succeed, but not at the clubs they're currently at.

Post #497353  Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:59 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
warrior wrote:
Forum update.

I have just optimised the tables, increased the forums memory (It's double now), and doubled it's storage space.

It should be more responsive now.

Thank God for that. Double the forums memory and storage space will do doubt allow me to find the car keys, recall what i was supposed to collect at the supermarket and remember appointments.

Has he really done all this? The tables don't look optimised to me. We are still only 6th and Spurs are not bottom of league 2.

Post #497354  Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:51 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

I would hold back on 'every Russian' because clearly there is opposition ... but there are an awful lot of expatriate Russians who have benefitted from the klepto-petro state that Yelstin created and Putin has become the don of it all. It wasn't just the big oligarchs that benefitted from the asset stripping that happened in Eastern Europe in the 1990s. Factory managers, scrap metal dealers, army officers, etc. made a killing.

My dad and I were talking about it the other night. Even in Zim there was an influx of very dodgy nouveau riche Russians in the 1990s with money to burn and indeterminate occupations.

Post #497355  Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:57 am 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I would hold back on 'every Russian' because clearly there is opposition .

No boot the lot. The *%^@*** lot.

Because there’s always opposition but nothing ever happens with them and after Putin there will be another nutter, then another nutter then another in a never ending cycle until we find one that is happy to press the red button rather than just threaten it.

You have your part of the world and we will have ours and just leave it at that, no more killing.

Post #497356  Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:07 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Because there’s always opposition but nothing ever happens with them and after Putin there will be another nutter, then another nutter then another in a never ending cycle until we find one that is happy to press the red button rather than just threaten it.

You have your part of the world and we will have ours and just leave it at that, no more killing.

Disagree. If you send them back they'll end up whatever the modern equivalent of salt mines if they are lucky. You area also running the risk of alienating moderate Russians and playing into the hypernationalist narrative that Putin thrives on.

External regime change is never going to work. You have to hope that if Putin falls, there will be an internal shift to a more moderate position and those who are opposed to Putin's militarism need to feel that they are supported in the West.

Post #497357  Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:14 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Also, what in Putin's mind, is 'their part of the world'? Where are the boundaries in his mind?

I'd be feeling more than a bit nervous if I was one of Russia's other neighbours at the moment. I think avoiding the idea of 'Russians against everyone else' is of paramount importance.

Post #497358  Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:18 pm 

Season ticket prices going up by 4% next year. Get us back in the Champions League and I'm sure those with season tickets will find that a lot easier to swallow

Post #497359  Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:21 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Disagree. If you send them back they'll end up whatever the modern equivalent of salt mines if they are lucky. You area also running the risk of alienating moderate Russians and playing into the hypernationalist narrative that Putin thrives on.

You’ll just keep getting more election interference, political interference more disruption and acquisition of property and things of national importance. I can’t see how it’s rich oligarchs should benefit from the benefits of the west whilst beholding to a murderer.

Something needs to be done to bring them back to the table. Whilst he thinks there are no consequences this won’t end.

Post #497360  Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:11 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:

You’ll just keep getting more election interference, political interference more disruption and acquisition of property and things of national importance. I can’t see how it’s rich oligarchs should benefit from the benefits of the west whilst beholding to a murderer.

Something needs to be done to bring them back to the table. Whilst he thinks there are no consequences this won’t end.

Definitely. Sanction those with connection to the regime and with ill-gotten wealth. Subject suspiciously wealthy Russian to to wealth and lifestyle audits. I am sure potential Russian spy networks are under close scrutiny.

But what good would expelling working class and professional Russians do (such as footballers, academics, doctors, etc), and on what legal ground would it be done? The UK isn't even at war with Russia and the UN (bless it) hasn't even managed to pass a resolution against it.

[ 526021 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12431, 12432, 12433, 12434, 12435, 12436, 12437 ... 13151  Next