Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 377 guests

Post #477321  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:13 am 

Good article about britains problems agree with a lot said here

I travel quite a bit in my job and often get the same question. What's wrong your country right now

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/04/sund ... risis.html

Post #477322  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:16 am 

Daz wrote:
Wenger isn't even good with the psychology. Personally attacking Sterling doesn't distract from the fact his team is sub-standard, it highlights it. Nobody is agreeing with him from pundits to journalists they are all telling the truth. The third goal was marginally offside but you have to suck that up given the gulf in quality between the two sides and nobody can say that there was any real injustice in the larger scheme of things.

I hope he gets an FA charge.

I hope he use his frustration with EPL referees as basis to quit Arsenal.

Post #477323  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:19 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Daz wrote:
Wenger isn't even good with the psychology. Personally attacking Sterling doesn't distract from the fact his team is sub-standard, it highlights it. Nobody is agreeing with him from pundits to journalists they are all telling the truth. The third goal was marginally offside but you have to suck that up given the gulf in quality between the two sides and nobody can say that there was any real injustice in the larger scheme of things.

I think that's somewhat of a reach mate :laughing7:

Post #477324  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:57 am 

Daz wrote:

If that pm of ours could sort out britex I suggest a clause that denies residency to French men over 65 years of age who are not achieving their kpis of 85 points per season.

Post #477325  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:59 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

I don't know. I'm hoping Mugabe's frustration with the imperial running dog British and Americans will prompt him to quit.

Post #477326  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:04 am 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I don't know. I'm hoping Mugabe's frustration with the imperial running dog British and Americans will prompt him to quit.

:laughing7:

.. after Wengers 22nd year of it he thought "I just can't take the useless refs anymore I'm off!"

Post #477327  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:25 am 

Spend north of 50 million pounds on a striker but stick him on the bench against 2 big teams away from home.
What the fck is wenger playing at.
What's more, bench the guy who cost north of 50 million and decided to come to us when he could have just waited till January when Atletico Madrid would have surely have followed up on their strong interest and instead play 2 guys who are not interested in committing to us and are running down their contracts.
What sort of message does that send out to the rest of the team/squad.
If I was Lacazette id be thinking what the fck wenger is playing at.
The man is a dinosaur and I cant wait till the day he goes and gives us all back a semblance of hope.
With him in charge these sort of games will always end in defeat 9 times out of 10.
Jack looked sharp coming on yesterday.
He should be taking Xhaka's place in the team now.

Post #477328  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:40 am 

david.d wrote:
Spend north of 50 million pounds on a striker but stick him on the bench against 2 big teams away from home.

It's entirely incomprehensible, David.

Post #477329  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:38 pm 

3 things I'm growing jaded to and feel guilty that I'm becoming cynical about it for a myriad of reasons obvious or not so obvious:

1. Arsenal losses and as a club and supporter
2. American mass shootings
3. America in general

Post #477330  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:44 pm 

I know there are bigger things in the world to worry about but having to watch this buffoon run our beloved football team into the ground is really depressing.

Each post match press conference more one eyed, self pitying and whinging than the last. All the goodwill that he built up in his first 10 years destroyed. I actually think the day he leaves Arsenal will be the happiest non-family related event of my life.

Post #477331  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:55 pm 

tomc wrote:
I actually think the day he leaves Arsenal will be the happiest non-family related event of my life.

Vibrant mood here today. It's just so overdue it's daft. It really is incredible he's still here after this long and that our support has managed to refrain from giving him both barrels at home matches

Post #477332  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:57 pm 

david.d wrote:
What's more, bench the guy who cost north of 50 million and decided to come to us when he could have just waited till January when Atletico Madrid would have surely have followed up on their strong interest and instead play 2 guys who are not interested in committing to us and are running down their contracts.
The man is a dinosaur and I cant wait till the day he goes and gives us all back a semblance of hope.
With him in charge these sort of games will always end in defeat 9 times out of 10.

Basically post Özil and Sanchez Lacazette will be our only beacon of hope and TRUST ME he ain't dropping him after they are both gone.

Post #477333  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:33 pm 

socrates wrote:
lomekian wrote:

For the record I think Michael Oliver is on balance one of the best refs in the country. I can see why he gave the pen, though I think its a pen that is often not given - its one entirely open to interpretation. But can anyone remember the last even slightly suspect pen we got in a game against the top 4 other clubs? Let alone away from home?

Hi Lom,

On the subject of pens why the *%^@ can't Čech ever save one? Even by the law of averages there ought to be a few he can throw his cap on.

Mystifying isn't it? Must have used up all his penalty saving luck spawning the Champion's League for the chavs. Szcz was a bloody good penalty saver.

Post #477334  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:43 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
david.d wrote:

Basically post Özil and Sanchez Lacazette will be our only beacon of hope and TRUST ME he ain't dropping him after they are both gone.

Wenger does not know what he doing. he says one thing in a press conference and does another. He said we go to attack. he always says that. If that was the case, then play jack and Lacazette from the off.

Arsenal do not play good football. Used too. Not anymore. It's so bloody boring endless side to side passing. I'm not blaming the players as it's Wenger who put this squad together, trains them, plays them choses tactics and formations.

Wenger will now have two weeks to prepare for Spurs. I've watched this guy, he'll be more than happy if Arsenal pick up injuries during internationals before the Spurs game. Then he can play weaker team and should we lose he'll blame injuries, never himself. Watch this space.

If we are worth a result then I've got an issue with officials not doing their job. We have been hard done by, but we simply don't have a good enough team right now and City should could have and maybe should have scored five.

Wenger HAS to go.

Post #477335  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:51 pm 

Daz wrote:
lomekian wrote:
I can see why he gave the pen, though I think its a pen that is often not given - its one entirely open to interpretation.

This is why I don't take you seriously on this topic. It WAS a pen. You know it was a penalty as well but to support your case you mutter about having seeing them not given. That's totally irrelevant. IT was a definite penalty and had a ref not given a similar one for us you would have been bitching like an actor who's just been told that his suggested rewrite is not actually better and that he has to read the lines as written.

When it comes to the offside, they are always 50/50 when there is no daylight between players. Lazazette was very unlucky when his was correctly called, we were unlucky again when the two City players weren't. Until video technology decides this, these errors will continue to happen but it is bugger all to do with us being particularly affected, the margins for error are tiny, they don't even have time to think in that scenario .

There are lots of really bad decisions still but to discuss them in relation to yesterday is simply rank opportunism. And anybody who says Montreal first shoving and then falling onto a striker isn't a penalty is as partisan as Mike Riley. That was a penalty every day of the week whether you've seen them not given or not.

And the reason I can't take you seriously is that you only seem to say such things when its a pen given against us. Almost identical challenges in the past we've not been given spot kicks for that I've questioned, you've said that you wouldn't be happy if they were given against us. Which is it? When I have bitched in the past about more clear cut pens than that you've told me I'm wrong. At least i'm consistent in my position rather than flip flopping simply to facilitate an argument like yourself.

Offsides - Of course they are hard. Its why I'm talking about video technology. BUT if you genuinely believe the biggest and richest teams in the land don't get more offside decisions in their favour at home in big matches, I suggest you do some stats analysis, because that is just wrong. Its why I bang on about technology. With the best will in the world, no human is physically capable of being totally unbiased in their decision making, and with fine margins, certain parties will always do slightly better.

Re the pen itself, it IS open to interpretation, as evidenced by the fact that we frequently see such incidents NOT given as penalties. Whether it should be is an entirely different point. Again, video technology should at least clarify this, rather than just relying on the sightlines, angle, bias, fitness etc of every match official, so that identical scenarios can have opposing outcomes. Norwich not getting a pen against us in the league cup was a bad decision - it was a clearer foul than this for me, but it wasn't given - and was suggested open to interpretation.

Of course video refs won't solve everything, but it will create greater consistency and transparency, rather than just accepting human error as correct or not depending on the bias of the viewer.

For the record, I only suggest rewrites if the script has a clear logical fallacy or contradiction, and even then, only after asking the question first. Some poor sod has written the bloody thing, so its my duty to always try to make their words work, no matter how dull they are. Frankly, one test of a good actor is making an awful script sound less awful.

Post #477336  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:55 pm 

Northbank Memories wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Wenger does not know what he doing. he says one thing in a press conference and does another. He said we go to attack. he always says that. If that was the case, then play jack and Lacazette from the off.

Arsenal do not play good football. Used too. Not anymore. It's so bloody boring endless side to side passing. I'm not blaming the players as it's Wenger who put this squad together, trains them, plays them choses tactics and formations.

Wenger will now have two weeks to prepare for Spurs. I've watched this guy, he'll be more than happy if Arsenal pick up injuries during internationals before the Spurs game. Then he can play weaker team and should we lose he'll blame injuries, never himself. Watch this space.

If we are worth a result then I've got an issue with officials not doing their job. We have been hard done by, but we simply don't have a good enough team right now and City should could have and maybe should have scored five.

Wenger HAS to go.

Agree with the thoughts Steve. Everything is so stale and the decisions to play Coquelin in defence (as dumb a decision as we've seen from Wenger) and drop Lacazette were ludicrous.

I just watch the games shouting DONT CUT IT BACK!!!! Over and over.If you get to the by line and there's only a couple of options in the box whip it in anyway. The play always peters out. I'm not joking it's been going on for years. Look at city, they are absolutely determined to get to the byline and whip in speculative crosses across the penalty area.

Spurs game will be interesting. If we lose at home then I think there could be a real potential for the fans to show their discontent

Post #477337  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:01 pm 

I agree there should be video refs. The fact there isn't is an indictment of the game.

You are still confusing matters. I see a ref giving or not giving a penalty as a subjective moment - the issue I have with you is your insistence on feeling a permanent grievance or overplaying the injustice of it when it comes to us. My feelings on decisions that go for or against are simply not based on any sense that the motivating factor is bias against us. You endlessly take debatable decisions as if they are certain and your verdict is almost always coloured by your team allegiance like many fans but you seem to have a real problem facing up to that. The fact that this is a general perception of you on here suggests that it might contain some truth.

If he had NOT given the penalty yesterday I would have thought that it was wrong, and replays show that it really was a penalty - almost any pst hoc panel of refs would have said so as did nearly all the pundits I saw. My irritation with Wenger is that he keeps insisting that it wasn't having had the benefit of rewatching. He claimed the Lacazette offside was clear as day when it clearly wasn't.

If a script is bad no actor can make it good. Contrarily, a bad actor can certainly ruin a good script.

Post #477338  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:04 pm 

For the record I often think we should have had penalties we don't get by the way - I can just sometimes understand why they're not given.

Post #477339  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:19 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
tomc wrote:
I actually think the day he leaves Arsenal will be the happiest non-family related event of my life.

Vibrant mood here today. It's just so overdue it's daft. It really is incredible he's still here after this long and that our support has managed to refrain from giving him both barrels at home matches

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -interview

this cheered me up - once upon a time we were a football club.....

Post #477340  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:28 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Northbank Memories wrote:

Wenger HAS to go.

Agree with the thoughts Steve. Everything is so stale and the decisions to play Coquelin in defence (as dumb a decision as we've seen from Wenger) and drop Lacazette were ludicrous.

I just watch the games shouting DONT CUT IT BACK!!!! Over and over.If you get to the by line and there's only a couple of options in the box whip it in anyway. The play always peters out. I'm not joking it's been going on for years. Look at city, they are absolutely determined to get to the byline and whip in speculative crosses across the penalty area.

Spurs game will be interesting. If we lose at home then I think there could be a real potential for the fans to show their discontent

You watch Arsenal come forward, it's so laboured, nothing like it used to be. most of the time when we do come forward it takes 30 passes for us to get to the opponents area. They are now all back. We then pass out to Bellierin, who then passes inside to say Xhaka, who will in turn go left to Ramsey, who will go left to Kolo. Kolo will then go back to Ramsey, who will go right to Xhaka and right again to Bellerin and repeat, repeat. If Bellerin crosses 99% of the time it hits the first defender. It's just so boring. We are still trying to pass and move through our opponents, but for years they have sussed this out. They simply say "go on Arsenal make 50 passes, you're only going to give the ball away most of the time and waste time. Moan at an opponents keeper for taking time on goal kicks. Arsenal waste at least 45 minutes going nowhere fast.

We need to move faster and cross a lot better and get players in the box.

Post #477341  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:34 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
I'll remind you that you said that when we hit 4th spot. I'm still on course to remind Bernard and co that I said we'd be in a better position than Chelsea by Xmas. I'll add you to the list.

Can I just point out that after both clubs have played eleven league games, Arsenal are three points behind Chelsea. I don't see that as you being on course to remind me that you said Arsenal would be ahead of them by Christmas

Post #477342  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:44 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bubblechris wrote:
I'll remind you that you said that when we hit 4th spot. I'm still on course to remind Bernard and co that I said we'd be in a better position than Chelsea by Xmas. I'll add you to the list.

Can I just point out that after both clubs have played eleven league games, Arsenal are three points behind Chelsea. I don't see that as you being on course to remind me that you said Arsenal would be ahead of them by Christmas

have we specified WHICH Christmas?

Post #477343  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:46 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

:icon_mrgreen: i'll be making my wish to Mr Claus this year

Post #477344  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:51 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

:icon_mrgreen: i'll be making that my wish to Mr Claus this year

Oh talking of that ! My 8 year olds just asked for an iPad this year ! Do I buckle ??

On his Christmas list he's even wrote the Argos catalogue numbers next to each thing he wants. Talk about taking the piss, there's gotta be a couple of grands worth of stuff on there for gods sake

Post #477345  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:51 pm 

tomc wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -interview

this cheered me up - once upon a time we were a football club.....

I enjoyed that. Arsenals true greatest ever manager

Post #477346  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:02 pm 

Wenger: Lacazette was superb for Arsenal vs Man City but decision to bench him was right
ARSENE WENGER hailed Alexandre Lacazette for his impact off the bench for Arsenal at Manchester City.

“We needed to be solid. We knew that we had to survive some moments”
“Yes, he was superb and when he came on he gave us another option,” Wenger told Arsenal’s official website.
“But even in the first half I felt that it was more a case of providing better support up front. That was our problem.
“We were always in the game and I believe honestly we were really unlucky.
“It’s very difficult to swallow today. I’m very, very disappointed.
“We needed to be solid. We knew that we had to survive some moments where they had the ball and overall I felt that was alright."
"But we respected them a little bit too much maybe for 25 minutes in the first half and then the second half when we came out we looked always convincingly dangerous.
“I felt that sometimes in our final ball we lacked a bit of touch or accuracy and we could not transform enough situations we had to score.”

So which statement or words tells us that he believes he made the right decision? Perhaps, the words "providing better support up front" are the words. Provide support for what then? Provide support, but without a proven goalscorer up front. Oh yes, Alexis was there. But just like Ox, Alexis was always going to be a suspect player. I like Alexis, but his head is turned. The last statement is where we are fundamentally flawed. And whose fault is it? Back on you, arrogant man!

Post #477347  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:07 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Oh talking of that ! My 8 year olds just asked for an iPad this year ! Do I buckle ??

On his Christmas list he's even wrote the Argos catalogue numbers next to each thing he wants. Talk about taking the piss, there's gotta be a couple of grands worth of stuff on there for gods sake

Hi TG, if you do, make sure they commit to a discipline about it. Don't let them over indulge with time-eating games or movies. My 2 cents, hope I'm not imposing. :icon_mrgreen:

Post #477348  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:08 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

I think it's time for a father - son chat about money not growing on trees TG....

Post #477349  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:11 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Wenger: Lacazette was superb for Arsenal vs Man City but decision to bench him was right
ARSENE WENGER hailed Alexandre Lacazette for his impact off the bench for Arsenal at Manchester City.

“We needed to be solid. We knew that we had to survive some moments”
“Yes, he was superb and when he came on he gave us another option,” Wenger told Arsenal’s official website.
“But even in the first half I felt that it was more a case of providing better support up front. That was our problem.
“We were always in the game and I believe honestly we were really unlucky.
“It’s very difficult to swallow today. I’m very, very disappointed.
“We needed to be solid. We knew that we had to survive some moments where they had the ball and overall I felt that was alright."
"But we respected them a little bit too much maybe for 25 minutes in the first half and then the second half when we came out we looked always convincingly dangerous.
“I felt that sometimes in our final ball we lacked a bit of touch or accuracy and we could not transform enough situations we had to score.”
“It’s very difficult to swallow today. I’m very, very disappointed" - exactly how I felt when I heard this clown had signed up for two more years
So which statement or words tells us that he believes he made the right decision? Perhaps, the words "providing better support up front" are the words. Provide support for what then? Provide support, but without a proven goalscorer up front. Oh yes, Alexis was there. But just like Ox, Alexis was always going to be a suspect player. I like Alexis, but his head is turned. The last statement is where we are fundamentally flawed. And whose fault is it? Back on you, arrogant man!

Post #477350  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:12 pm 

“It’s very difficult to swallow today. I’m very, very disappointed" - exactly how I felt when I heard this clown had signed up for another 2 years

Post #477351  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:32 pm 

If Wenger leaves after his 2 year contract is finished and we are 5th place both seasons, how will he be remembered?
Short term (within a year or two) and long term (5, 10 years and longer).

Post #477352  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:07 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
If Wenger leaves after his 2 year contract is finished and we are 5th place both seasons, how will he be remembered?
Short term (within a year or two) and long term (5, 10 years and longer).

As long as he does the decent thing, in leaving, I will rather his better days are remembered.

Post #477353  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:14 pm 

Before his contract ends? What if he sees his contract out? Leaves after. We are 5th.

Post #477354  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:20 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Before his contract ends? What if he sees his contract out? Leaves after. We are 5th.

As long as he leaves, before or after contract ends. Other than being relegated, I will remember his better days. He did bring us a decade of wonderful football. I'm just very disappointed he did not build on it, and allowed the mediocrity that is happening today, to fester on.

Post #477355  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:30 pm 

First review of the pen I've seen on Ref Watch. Have sympathy with Laz's claim of 'no penalty'. I thought it was a def penalty during the game but watching it now it wasn't . It wasn't Monreal running into the back of Sterling it is a clear shoulder to shoulder tackle which is always allowed against us. There have been several instances as of late but this was blatantly a wrong decision.

Sterling then deliberately falls to his left not the right which is where the impact should have taken him.

Even TG's newly found son would agree on this one :1laughter:

Post #477356  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:31 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
3 things I'm growing jaded to and feel guilty that I'm becoming cynical about it for a myriad of reasons obvious or not so obvious:

1. Arsenal losses and as a club and supporter
2. American mass shootings
3. America in general

Typically tasteful of you to lump in a football team's results with people losing their lives, including a 5 year old child, tragically in Texas.

Post #477357  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:43 pm 

We didn't play well and lost to Man City as almost everyone expected (unfortunately fatigue didn't hamper Man City as I hoped). Wenger made strange decisions - starting Coquelin and Iwobi but dropping Lacazette. But we conceded two goals from incorrect ref/linesman's decisions. I think it's quite justified for Wenger to point these out. Fact is if those two goals weren't scored, the scoreline wouldn't be 3-1 against us.

Post #477358  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:26 pm 

Goonie wrote:
We didn't play well and lost to Man City as almost everyone expected (unfortunately fatigue didn't hamper Man City as I hoped). Wenger made strange decisions - starting Coquelin and Iwobi but dropping Lacazette. But we conceded two goals from incorrect ref/linesman's decisions. I think it's quite justified for Wenger to point these out. Fact is if those two goals weren't scored, the scoreline wouldn't be 3-1 against us.

Just like he mentioned the penalty WBA should of got at 0-0 you mean the other week? plus he didn’t seem to spot kolasinac’s sly shove in sterling’s back as he was about to tap into an empty goal.

Fact also is that City played arsenal off the park and could of scored other chances.

Of course Wenger is going to point this out as a diversionary tactic from his incompetence

Post #477359  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:44 pm 

Kane, Ali and winks all pull out of the England squad. We know all 3 will be fit for the game vs us.
Why are we so naive in every aspect of the game. We never pull players out of friendlier, everyone else does it.
We seem to want to take the moral high ground and to do the right thing all the time, admirable but when everyone else is playing a different game you are just harming yourself.
You name it we simply do not maximise our chances of winning football matches with every tool at our disposal

Post #477360  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:48 pm 

Guy Fawke's Day. Bonfire night Remember, remember the 5th of November.
Though there are many that would prefer not to remember.
:angry6:

[ 572013 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11931, 11932, 11933, 11934, 11935, 11936, 11937 ... 14301  Next