Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Ash, Bing [Bot], warrior and 430 guests

Post #512081  Posted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:57 am 

:58big-emoticons:

http://dailycannon.com/2020/04/arsenal- ... is-summer/

Speaking at the AST Event on Wednesday, David Ornstein gave an overview of the Gunners’ current situation ahead of the transfer market. He expects Arsenal to look to bring in two defenders this summer, though whether that’s possible is another matter.

According to Ornstein, there’s a possibility for Shkodran Mustafi and Sokratis Papastathopoulos to leave this summer, which would help fund possible deals. They’ll then aim to bring in at least one centre-back, ideally two.

Post #512082  Posted: Fri May 01, 2020 5:58 am 

Not a definite by any means, but not at all unexpected. Arsenal will really suffer with this. TV income from European competition would have helped.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/foot ... f07b9c1346

Post #512083  Posted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:19 am 

Michigan has the largest Arab and Moslem population in America, I'd like to see one of their groups do the same, get the expected reaction and sue the hell out of the state.

All these people should have their names published. See if Jim Bob keeps his $12 an hour job at Wal-Mart. This is insane. A historical note, the Black Panthers did a similar thing late '60s in California state house, the state had open carry laws back then. Then governor Ronald Reagan, with the blessing of the NRA, first time ever, endorsing a stringent gun control law.

Post #512084  Posted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:21 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Not a definite by any means, but not at all unexpected. Arsenal will really suffer with this. TV income from European competition would have helped.

Not just income but it also removes a lot of the home pitch advantage of clubs. It will be surreal to the players not to hear cheers or just a small number of people cheering.

Post #512085  Posted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:49 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Not just income but it also removes a lot of the home pitch advantage of clubs. It will be surreal to the players not to hear cheers or just a small number of people cheering.

Agree with that. When I’ve watched games on tv where the crowd is banned (like where there has been prior racist abuse) it seems weird and uninvolving. But I suspect that’s what we face for the foreseeable future.

Post #512086  Posted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:28 am 

The la Liga curse. As much as he used to frustrate me passing on clear scoring chances one one one with the keeper, I still thought he was a very fine player.

https://www.planetfootball.com/in-depth ... t-leaving/
Alexander Hleb: I cried over Arsenal exit; most players regret leaving

Post #512087  Posted: Fri May 01, 2020 1:55 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Agree with that. When I’ve watched games on tv where the crowd is banned (like where there has been prior racist abuse) it seems weird and uninvolving. But I suspect that’s what we face for the foreseeable future.

The networks might consider adding canned crowd noises but they can hardly have fake crowds so I doubt that will fly.

Its going to be very strange but I suspect we'll get used to it.

Post #512088  Posted: Fri May 01, 2020 1:58 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Michigan has the largest Arab and Moslem population in America, I'd like to see one of their groups do the same, get the expected reaction and sue the hell out of the state.

All these people should have their names published. See if Jim Bob keeps his $12 an hour job at Wal-Mart. This is insane. A historical note, the Black Panthers did a similar thing late '60s in California state house, the state had open carry laws back then. Then governor Ronald Reagan, with the blessing of the NRA, first time ever, endorsing a stringent gun control law.

No black or brown faces, so yes, Trump has tweeted his support of the "protesters". Completely does my head in that anyone thinks this form of protest is ok.

Post #512089  Posted: Fri May 01, 2020 4:21 pm 

https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/01/gary-nev ... wsnow-feed

Gary Neville reveals why Robert Pires and Thierry Henry wound up Sir Alex Ferguson

‘Sir Alex always felt that players like Thierry Henry and Robert Pires had an air about them that they couldn’t be tackled,’ he said.
‘He said he didn’t see players getting around them or tackling them. He said the opposition were too busy planning how to swap shirts with them. That would psychologically get into our heads.
‘He’d say things like ‘I don’t want Vieira refereeing this game today, or Adams, or Keown’ – he’d say little things like that without ever encouraging us to intimidate the referee. People thought that happened but it didn’t.
‘But those little things were the difference in matches. Sir Alex always said ‘find a way to win’ – there was an element of madness to us in the final 10 minutes of matches but that’s the risks he took to win matches.

Post #512090  Posted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:49 pm 

1988 FA Cup 5th Round Arsenal vs Man Utd

Post #512091  Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 8:06 am 

How the hell did Woodcock miss those chances? :36angers:

Post #512092  Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 8:54 am 

I recently had a debate with someone who was basically supporting the South's right to secede in the Civil War as an extension of the main debate that General Lee of the south was a "hero". I said he was a traitor and no hero. Technically speaking. He was an American general, swore to defend the American flag and were he any other general now who did the same, he'd be court martial, and jailed (100 years ago hung most likely). He tried to gaslight by saying 'So, I guess American were traitors as well in the war for independence?" I replied, we were. LOL.
That's a fact. It doesn't make me love America less or is it disrespectful to state facts. I'm a bit of a history nut, I love reading about it. Americans were British subjects at the time. Had America been a conquered nation and fought for independence it would have been different. Of course that answer was not taken well. lol.
George Washington was a Captain in the British army during the 7 years war (French and Indian War to us). Of course he violated his oath. It worked out well for America but the leaders knew full well they'd be hung if they lost.
The underlying reasons they make these asinine statements is to gaslight others into accepting their bigotry. They wanted the south to win to maintain their way of life, primarily human trafficking and slavery.

Post #512093  Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:06 am 

...almost reminds me of a sperz fan I met on holiday a while back and saying (as if I didn't know) that The Arsenal cheated to stay get into the top flight and I replied that I totally agreed we did, are you saying it to simply state a fact or to have something done about it nearly a century later?

Get over it. Just like the southerners here.

Post #512094  Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:12 am 

So he is the latest Aubameyang replacement.

Post #512095  Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:46 pm 

If I hear the words 'unprecedented' or 'extraordinary', or the phrase 'in these difficult times' once more, I may shoot myself.

Post #512096  Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:02 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
If I hear the words 'unprecedented' or 'extraordinary', or the phrase 'in these difficult times' once more, I may shoot myself.

Don’t say that because if you mean it, you’ll have a life expectancy of a few seconds.

Post #512097  Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:09 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:

This ...

Attachment:

Post #512098  Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:56 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Don’t say that because if you mean it, you’ll have a life expectancy of a few seconds.

:laughing7:
I've decided to stop listening to any news or engaging with any social media instead.

Post #512099  Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:59 pm 

warrior wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

This ...

Attachment:
dsa.jpg

I'm getting as much dodgy spam email as she is.

Post #512100  Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:13 pm 

This afternoon ITV showed highlights of my favourite FA Cup final that Arsenal didn’t win. The 1987 final between Coventry and Tottenham. People have highlighted the interview Jimmy Greaves gave many years ago (probably some decades) when he said one of the biggest regrets in his career was never playing for Arsenal.

But he was also a pundit for the 1987 final and it was noticeable that he left viewers in no doubt before the game that although he expected Tottenham to win, he wanted Coventry to win. True to his word, after the match, which Coventry won 3-2, he appeared absolutely thrilled at the result.

Post #512101  Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:53 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
warrior wrote:
This ...

Attachment:
dsa.jpg

I've noticed a lot more spam getting through the filters lately. Is that the same for you?

Post #512102  Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:53 pm 

Bernard wrote:
This afternoon ITV showed highlights of my favourite FA Cup final that Arsenal didn’t win. The 1987 final between Coventry and Tottenham. People have highlighted the interview Jimmy Greaves gave many years ago (probably some decades) when he said one of the biggest regrets in his career was never playing for Arsenal.

But he was also a pundit for the 1987 final and it was noticeable that he left viewers in no doubt before the game that although he expected Tottenham to win, he wanted Coventry to win. True to his word, after the match, which Coventry won 3-2, he appeared absolutely thrilled at the result.

Any idea why that was Bernard?

Post #512103  Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 7:08 pm 

john1 wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

I've noticed a lot more spam getting through the filters lately. Is that the same for you?

Definitely John. The scammers are working overtime. Loads getting through my virgin media account. Good news though I've won 5 competitions at different supermarkets and managed to add 5 inches to my #*&$#.

Post #512104  Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 7:11 pm 

I've also had several friend requests from 19 year old Ukranian nymphomaniacs on Facebook.
I've obviously still got the old magic :58big-emoticons:

Post #512105  Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:30 pm 

john1 wrote:
Bernard wrote:

A Tottenham supporting acquaintance reckoned he felt disappointed at the support Tottenham gave him during his alcoholism. Seems he took to the booze while playing for them, and felt let down by them in their reaction to it. No idea if it’s true, but it seems a realistic idea.

Post #512106  Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:44 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
I've also had several friend requests from 19 year old Ukranian nymphomaniacs on Facebook.
I've obviously still got the old magic :58big-emoticons:

After I installed an adblocker, all the hot young singles in my area lost interest. :icon_silent:

Post #512107  Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 5:15 am 

Bernard wrote:
john1 wrote:

A Tottenham supporting acquaintance reckoned he felt disappointed at the support Tottenham gave him during his alcoholism. Seems he took to the booze while playing for them, and felt let down by them in their reaction to it. No idea if it’s true, but it seems a realistic idea.

I should have mentioned when Ian St John (the punditry was a ‘Saint and Greavesie’ take) asked him why, as a Tottenham legend (or whatever words he used), he clearly wanted Coventry to win, Greaves gave some load of bollox (which was how it struck me) about him living in the midlands now.

Post #512108  Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:19 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
john1 wrote:

Definitely John. The scammers are working overtime. Loads getting through my virgin media account. Good news though I've won 5 competitions at different supermarkets and managed to add 5 inches to my #*&$#.

Brilliant!

Post #512109  Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:20 am 

Bernard wrote:
john1 wrote:

Sounds feasible

Post #512110  Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:53 pm 

Oklahoma. Don't let the musical fool you.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/city-ends-fa ... tml?bcmt=1
City ends face-mask rule for shoppers after store employees are threatened

Post #512111  Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:53 pm 

For all the ‘I want players A, B and C bought’ and ‘I want players X, Y and Z sold’, I strongly suspect Adams’ comments about the loss of ambition at Arsenal sums up why it’s all a bit irrelevant.

I’m finding it hard to see much changing for the better, regardless of who the head coach is or who the players are, while Kroenke owns the club.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... newsletter

Post #512112  Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 5:05 pm 

Reminiscing. If Reyes had stayed? Anyway, all his goals. His first goal vs. Chelsea was a sign of things to come.

Post #512113  Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:40 am 

I see that there’s increasing credence being given to the idea of ‘no relegation’ if the Premier League is restarted.

With the title already decided this would further sap the energy from the fixtures. The only thing to play for is European places and prize money for final positions. Looks like if it happens then it will be up there with the Emirates Cup for excitement.

Looks like they are prepared to go through the motions just for the TV money.

Post #512114  Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 8:19 am 

long time gooner wrote:
I see that there’s increasing credence being given to the idea of ‘no relegation’ if the Premier League is restarted.

With the title already decided this would further sap the energy from the fixtures. The only thing to play for is European places and prize money for final positions. Looks like if it happens then it will be up there with the Emirates Cup for excitement.

Why would they have no relegation but give the title to Liverpool, if that’s what you’re implying will happen? It just seems wrong in principle to hand out trophies before they’re won. Just as wrong as it seems (to me anyway) to relegate teams before they’re mathematically certain to go down.

Post #512115  Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:06 am 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Why would they have no relegation but give the title to Liverpool, if that’s what you’re implying will happen? It just seems wrong in principle to hand out trophies before they’re won. Just as wrong as it seems (to me anyway) to relegate teams before they’re mathematically certain to go down.

Eh? That’s not what I’m saying.

The suggestion is that the league plays to a conclusion at a few neutral venues.

Whoever has the most points wins the title, but no club is relegated. Nothing to do with handing trophies out before they are won.

Post #512116  Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:42 am 

long time gooner wrote:

No matter how they restart football, there is going to be post Covid 19 mood over it. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone if it takes a season to get back to anything close to pre Covid 19 excitement.

Anyone asking for a continuation of the norm is asking too much. The same way some of us in places that are getting off lockdown and going out in public hesitantly, will be the same environment that football will be in.

Officials, players and in the back of the minds of fans is going to see if any new cases arise from going back. That will hover the return.

Post #512117  Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:54 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Eh? That’s not what I’m saying.

The suggestion is that the league plays to a conclusion at a few neutral venues.

Whoever has the most points wins the title, but no club is relegated. Nothing to do with handing trophies out before they are won.

Sorry I misunderstood you. So if the season is played to a conclusion, what is the rationale for nobody being relegated?

Let me say that I think playing the remaining games behind closed doors or at neutral venues undermines the validity of any outcome to the season. For example, a huge factor in home advantage is having your fans behind you, with only a fairly small minority of the crowd being behind the away team. But if the season is completed regardless of, for example, two relegation strugglers having already played each other once with one more game to be played (which makes it unfair for the reason below), why won’t the bottom three be relegated?

To show what I mean by my comment that it’s unfair, I’ll give an example. Firstly, even if games are played behind closed doors. I haven’t got the faintest idea if Villa and West Ham have played both their games yet, or there’s still one to play. But let’s say one was played at the London Stadium but the one at Villa Park hasn’t been. That means West Ham enjoyed the benefit of playing their home game with the support of their passionate fans behind them. But if Villa have to play their home game against West Ham behind closed doors, they lose the advantage a packed Villa Park would give them.

If the remaining games are played at neutral venues, surely that makes it even less fair? Say Bournemouth have already played Brighton at home with their home support there, but the return fixture at Brighton will be played at a neutral venue with no fans there, it just doesn’t seem right. Brighton won’t even have the familiarity of their normal pitch size to help them. Any similar examples could be given using Norwich and Watford as well as Brighton, Bournemouth, Villa and West Ham. Plus anyone else not mathematically safe from relegation. Those six are the obvious examples but with nine (27 points) or ten games (30 points) remaining, I bet there aren’t too many teams already mathematically safe.

My vote is still for declaring the season null and void. Bad luck for Liverpool and extremely fortunate for Norwich. But that’s the way the cookie crumbles (or in my view should be).

Post #512118  Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:01 am 

I agree with all that you say Bernard. I had been keen for football to restart but that was a while ago. The various scenarios being proposed are all deeply flawed.

This latest one is flawed and uninteresting.

Post #512119  Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:19 am 

Seriously, just bin the season off. It's done and ultimately football is such an irrelevance in the bigger picture, it shouldn't even be a talking point. It's pretty naff that this is even being discussed tbh. None of this is about human welfare or doing the right thing. This is simply all about money.

Post #512120  Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:18 am 

Darren wrote:
Seriously, just bin the season off. It's done and ultimately football is such an irrelevance in the bigger picture, it shouldn't even be a talking point. It's pretty naff that this is even being discussed tbh. None of this is about human welfare or doing the right thing. This is simply all about money.

Couldn't agree more.

[ 572020 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12800, 12801, 12802, 12803, 12804, 12805, 12806 ... 14301  Next