Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 225 guests

Post #510041  Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:07 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I’m not defending Edu but everyone in football will have an agent from young players, senior players, managers, coaches and clinical staff. Is it even realistic for a club to never sign a player who is on the books of the same agent as someone on the managerial side of the club’s hierarchy?

Why on earth does a technical director need an agent ? Who was David Deins agent ? We’re signing player after player represented by the agent of our technical director making the signings. Can you not see the conflict in interest.

Agree about the ridiculous comment on Özil.

Arteta told us he wanted Willian. He is the manager. These signings are down to Arteta.

Post #510042  Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:03 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Why on earth does a technical director need an agent ? Who was David Deins agent ? We’re signing player after player represented by the agent of our technical director making the signings. Can you not see the conflict in interest.

Arteta told us he wanted Willian. He is the manager. These signings are down to Arteta.

It’s some *%^@*** coincidence then that 4 of them share the same agent as the guy writing the cheques :laughing7:

Don’t be a wally :laughing7:

Post #510043  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:37 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

It’s some *%^@*** coincidence then that 4 of them share the same agent as the guy writing the cheques :laughing7:

Which are the 4 players that we signed recently that have the same management as Edu. Of course it must follow that Arteta did not want them.

Post #510044  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:44 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Which are the 4 players that we signed recently that have the same management as Edu. Of course it must follow that Arteta did not want them.

Soares,Luiz, Willian and Martinelli I believe. Also we came close to signing Kurzawa before Tierney put a string of performances together that made it illogical to replace him

Post #510045  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:46 am 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Really sad that Bernard, there should be a way for your Uncle to see the family on his 100th birthday. There must be a way for you all to go in and visit without having any contact with the other residents. If it was me I'd be desperately sad to be kept from my family.

Thanks bromley. We have asked them and sadly their firm answer has been no visitors. It is a big shame but as well as the normal presents and cards, we are sending him a bottle of champagne which the staff will give him. They will also read to him and give him the telegram from the Queen, if he does make next Saturday.

I managed to get my mum and dad onto Zoom. We were able to have a family celebration of my mum's 92nd, bringing together family members from Ireland, England and SA. It is very much worth trying.

Post #510046  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:39 am 

In your opinion, has Fabregas been forgiven or is he still persona non grata with the majority of the fans?

Post #510047  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:19 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
In your opinion, has Fabregas been forgiven or is he still persona non grata with the majority of the fans?

For me I never had a problem with him leaving. He had given his all and the team were going nowhere. You could never have accused him of not being committed enough and when he finally left the circumstances of how he left were poor but he had to force it because we were desperate.

He remains the best creative midfield player I’ve seen in my time at Arsenal by a mile and the second biggest mistake Arsene ever made was to not use the clause and sign him back instead of putting his faith in Özil who is half the player Cesc was.

Post #510048  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:32 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
For me I never had a problem with him leaving. He had given his all and the team were going nowhere. You could never have accused him of not being committed enough and when he finally left the circumstances of how he left were poor but he had to force it because we were desperate.

He remains the best creative midfield player I’ve seen in my time at Arsenal by a mile and the second biggest mistake Arsene ever made was to not use the clause and sign him back instead of putting his faith in Özil who is half the player Cesc was.

Bit pointless Top Gun as aren’t you one of the people he’s blocked? If so he isn’t going to read your post. What I will say to you is that Brady was comfortably better than Fabregas (I assume Brady was prior to your time). If Hudson had been a bit more consistent I’d have put him above Fabregas too. Hudson was certainly more talented. He wasn’t consistent, but for me Hudson at his best was better than Fabregas at his best.

I don’t think we, or American, should exaggerate the anger Arsenal fans have towards Fabregas. It was wrong for him to refuse to play but players come, players go. Sure, he went. But what’s now quite a few years later the attitude I have is to shrug my shoulders and say who cares. I’m not bothered about Stapleton or van Persie going either.

Post #510049  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:02 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Bit pointless Top Gun as aren’t you one of the people he’s blocked? If so he isn’t going to read your post. What I will say to you is that Brady was comfortably better than Fabregas (I assume Brady was prior to your time). If Hudson had been a bit more consistent I’d have put him above Fabregas too. Hudson was certainly more talented. He wasn’t consistent, but for me Hudson at his best was better than Fabregas at his best.

I don’t think we, or American, should exaggerate the anger Arsenal fans have towards Fabregas. It was wrong for him to refuse to play but players come, players go. Sure, he went. But what’s now quite a few years later the attitude I have is to shrug my shoulders and say who cares. I’m not bothered about Stapleton or van Persie going either.

Yes Brady was before my time and my only memory apart from TV was him smashing the ball past Lukic for West Ham againest us. Although suffice to say I come from an Arsenal family and I heard all the stories and came close to being named Liam if it wasn’t for my mothers insistence.

Van persie irked me a little I have to say he should have shown us more loyalty. Henry I couldn’t begrudge but the worst one in my opinion was Ashley Cole who left because of money and had come through the ranks to the first team and met with Mourinho just after we had become champions. It was a use case microcosm example of how football had been ruined by money.

Still hate the guy today, next time he’s a pundit for ITV and your watching play a drinking game and take a healthy swig every time he says “I fink” ..... you’ll be absolutely HAMMERED by kick off its great !

Post #510050  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:45 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Although Arteta wanted Auoar but Edu wanted Partey, we got Partey. I don't think it is ever down to 1 person selecting players but my understanding is Edu has the final say.
I also dont think any manager is going to be asked about the new signing and say anything other than positive stuff and how much they want them as part of the team.
On Willian, given the lack of money available I didnt see too many people complain about the quality of footballer we were signing, it was more the length of contract and the high wages, with the concern that whilst he might be good for year 1 of that deal he could go downhill pretty quickly. I don't think anyone can say the 'meh' performances served up so far by Willian coming

Post #510051  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:53 pm 

Jerome Boateng of Bayern will leave at the end of the season on a free - our name is immediately linked. Id rather we went a different route now than 33 year olds looking for the last big pay day. We need to cut the wage bill massively and he won't play for us for £50k a week

Post #510052  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:21 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Thanks bromley. We have asked them and sadly their firm answer has been no visitors. It is a big shame but as well as the normal presents and cards, we are sending him a bottle of champagne which the staff will give him. They will also read to him and give him the telegram from the Queen, if he does make next Saturday.

I managed to get my mum and dad onto Zoom. We were able to have a family celebration of my mum's 92nd, bringing together family members from Ireland, England and SA. It is very much worth trying.

Thanks, sounds a good idea. Myself I’ve never used Zoom and know nothing about it. But my youngest daughter, the one that still lives at home with us, does use it. I’ll ask her. Thanks again.

Post #510053  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:49 pm 

I finally got round to reading the "89" book by Amy Lawrence. Its an essential read for any Arsenal fan if you haven't read it.

Post #510054  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:29 pm 

Been watching the first half of the women’s match between Arsenal and Chelsea.

It’s at Boreham Wood’s ground which always invokes memories. I played there in my late teens for Harrow Borough reserves against Boreham Wood reserves in the Athenian League. The ground still looks much as I remember it.

Post #510055  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:39 pm 

Rich wrote:
Although Arteta wanted Auoar but Edu wanted Partey, we got Partey. I don't think it is ever down to 1 person selecting players but my understanding is Edu has the final say.

It would surprise, if not shock me, if Edu has the final say on choosing between players signed, rather than Arteta. What’s the evidence Arteta wanted Auoar but we got Partey because Edu wanted him?

If you are right and there comes a time when it is felt Arteta needs to be sacked because the team isn’t performing, all Arteta has to say is ‘what do you expect, I was not given the players I wanted. Sack Edu instead’.

Post #510056  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:43 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

It’s at Boreham Wood’s ground which always invokes memories. I played there in my late teens for Harrow Borough reserves against Boreham Wood reserves in the Athenian League. The ground still looks much as I remember it.

What’s the score?

Post #510057  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:04 pm 

Mustafi to Barca....
:angel8:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.footba ... 283883.amp

Post #510058  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:16 pm 

Ray Clemence and Des O'Connor both RIP

Post #510059  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:20 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

What’s the score?

Arsenal have just scored the only goal with a handful of minutes left.

Post #510060  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:23 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:
What’s the score?

And a freak own goal deflected equaliser at 90 minutes. Similar to the one by Tony Adams at Old Trafford.

Edit : Just ended 1-1.

Post #510061  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:29 pm 

Bernard, Zoom should definitely be an option. Another one to ask about is if they could bring him to a window at ground floor level and you could talk that way. My father is in hospital at the moment and we can come to the window so he gets to see us. Worth asking about it.

Post #510062  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:35 pm 

dec wrote:
Bernard, Zoom should definitely be an option. Another one to ask about is if they could bring him to a window at ground floor level and you could talk that way. My father is in hospital at the moment and we can come to the window so he gets to see us. Worth asking about it.

Thanks. My wife spoke to the nursing home again and it seems they do have a problem with Covid at the moment. Six days to go now and he’s still counting them off. If determination counts for anything, and I reckon it does, he’ll hopefully make it to next Saturday.

Post #510063  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:37 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

And a freak own goal deflected equaliser at 90 minutes. Similar to the one by Tony Adams at Old Trafford.

Shame. We seem to struggle for results against the better women’s teams. I suppose that’s to be expected but we are supposed to be one of the better teams ourselves.

Post #510064  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:46 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Shame. We seem to struggle for results against the better women’s teams. I suppose that’s to be expected but we are supposed to be one of the better teams ourselves.

Yes. We had lost our previous 6 against Chelsea. It was a very evenly matched game with few chances. The standard has improved quite a bit since I last watched a full game. And certainly hugely since I once watched them live at Broadbridge Heath in West Sussex.

The playing out from the back looked rather familiar.

Post #510065  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:54 pm 

Well there’s a thing. Amazing what turns up when you keep following links.

The most successful Arsenal manager of all time was assistant manager at Boreham Wood for a period up until August.

I wouldn’t have got that right in a pub quiz although there is a clue in the connection.

Post #510066  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:43 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

The most successful Arsenal manager of all time was assistant manager at Boreham Wood for a period up until August.

I wouldn’t have got that right in a pub quiz although there is a clue in the connection.

Vic Akers.

Post #510067  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:58 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Vic Akers.

Yes indeed.

Post #510068  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:13 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Vic Akers.

Yes indeed.

It’s actually a good football quiz question. Who is Arsenal’s most successful, in terms of trophies won, manager in the club’s history? The obvious reaction is to think of only the men’s team, making the answer Wenger, albeit I suppose some may say Chapman or Graham.

But Vic Akers won 36 trophies as manager of Arsenal ladies, including the women’s equivalent of the Champions League. Wikipedia has the following brief paragraph in their page on him:

“Vic Akers is considered the most successful Arsenal manager of all time due to winning numerous trophies (36 in total) from 1993 to 2009.”

Post #510069  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:15 pm 

Zed wrote:

Hi Zed. Might not be quite as crazy as it sounds. The Sun provided a comparison of Mustafi and Maguire in the Premier League for the 2018/19 season, a year in which Maguire’s form for Leicester convinced Manchester United to pay £80m for him the following summer. The stats suggest Mustafi generally outplayed Maguire.

The number of league games they both played were the same, as were the goals conceded by Leicester and Arsenal in them. Maguire made one more block than Mustafi, but other than that Mustafi had the stronger stats. The stats were as follows:

GAMES: Maguire 31, Mustafi 31
GOALS CONCEDED: Maguire 40, Mustafi 40
BLOCKS: Maguire 18, Mustafi 17
INTERCEPTIONS: Maguire 37, Mustafi 58
TACKLES: Maguire 31, Mustafi 62
TACKLES WON: Maguire 17, Mustafi 45
TACKLING SUCCESS: Maguire 55%, Mustafi 73%
CLEARANCES: Maguire 152, Mustafi 161
HEADED CLEARANCES: Maguire 77, Mustafi 106
AERIAL BATTLES WON: Maguire 118, Mustafi 123

As I mentioned above, that was the season that made Manchester United pay £80m to get Maguire. Over his time here, Mustafi made some horrible errors with us and gets nowhere near my best ever Arsenal team, not even the sub’s bench. However, remember how much he’s improved under Arteta, so since that season.

But as he’s allegedly turned down Arsenal’s offer of a new contract one has to assume he’ll leave next summer, whether it’s for Barcelona, Lazio or whoever. In the meantime I have utter confidence that he will do everything he can for the remainder of his stay to try and make our season as successful as it can be. He’s always struck me as a good professional with a fine attitude.

What I will certainly do, when he leaves, is remember him with respect as a player who always gave his all, whether or not he was aware of the over critical nature of some (one of whom we’re all aware of) fans towards him.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.giveme ... ason%3famp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun ... nsfer/amp/

Post #510070  Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:06 am 

Zed wrote:

You are a cruel man Zed, teasing me like this.
Note how the paper is taking the piss. loll

Post #510071  Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:16 am 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

Hi Zed. Might not be quite as crazy as it sounds. The Sun provided a comparison of Mustafi and Maguire in the Premier League for the 2018/19 season, a year in which Maguire’s form for Leicester convinced Manchester United to pay £80m for him the following summer. The stats suggest Mustafi generally outplayed Maguire.

The number of league games they both played were the same, as were the goals conceded by Leicester and Arsenal in them. Maguire made one more block than Mustafi, but other than that Mustafi had the stronger stats. The stats were as follows:

As I mentioned above, that was the season that made Manchester United pay £80m to get Maguire. Over his time here, Mustafi made some horrible errors with us and gets nowhere near my best ever Arsenal team, not even the sub’s bench. However, remember how much he’s improved under Arteta, so since that season.

But as he’s allegedly turned down Arsenal’s offer of a new contract one has to assume he’ll leave next summer, whether it’s for Barcelona, Lazio or whoever. In the meantime I have utter confidence that he will do everything he can for the remainder of his stay to try and make our season as successful as it can be. He’s always struck me as a good professional with a fine attitude.

What I will certainly do, when he leaves, is remember him with respect as a player who always gave his all, whether or not he was aware of the over critical nature of some (one of whom we’re all aware of) fans towards him.

Very interesting stats. I have great respect for players like Mustafi and Elneny, who manage to maintain an utterly professional attitude despite all the negativity (whether deserved or otherwise) about them.

Post #510072  Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:03 am 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

Hi Bernard,
If I recall, Mustafi was considering a move to Lazio, due to his wife's family being in Italy. Doesn't matter actually, if Barca are now interested. Mustafi has previous La Liga experience.
Good comparison stats between Tierney and Mustafi.

Post #510073  Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:10 am 

Big thumbs up to VAR if you see the second goal England conceded. England player clearly gets the ball first, Belgian goes over as if pleased, as did most Belgian players throughout the game.

If the refs could do their job properly VAR would be a screaming success.

Post #510074  Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:32 am 

Decaf wrote:
Very interesting stats. I have great respect for players like Mustafi and Elneny, who manage to maintain an utterly professional attitude despite all the negativity (whether deserved or otherwise) about them.

Me too Decaf. For me the expression ‘consummate professional’ could have been invented to describe both Mustafi and Elneny. That made it so pleasing to see Elneny get the praise he deserved for his performance at Old Trafford this season. I’m not saying I want him to become a regular fixture in Arsenal’s starting eleven. But it was nice to see him stuff the unwarranted criticism he’s received from some people down their throat, which is exactly what Mustafi has done with his form since Arteta took over as well.

Post #510075  Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:23 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Me too Decaf. For me the expression ‘consummate professional’ could have been invented to describe both Mustafi

.....Wasn’t goalside and let the ball drop over his head in a cup final.

Post #510076  Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:34 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Me too Decaf. For me the expression ‘consummate professional’ could have been invented to describe both Mustafi

.....Wasn’t goalside and let the ball drop over his head in a cup final.

Doesn’t mean he hasn’t been a consummate professional, does it. So I don’t understand the point you’re making, unless you think any mistake means a player isn’t. Didn’t Aubameyang miss an early sitter in that final? I don’t think that means he isn’t a good professional either. Nor do I think Bergkamp’s last minute penalty miss in an FA Cup semi-final that, had he scored it, would have stopped Manchester United winning the treble in 1999 compromises his professionalism.

Post #510077  Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:14 pm 

Zed wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Hi Bernard,
If I recall, Mustafi was considering a move to Lazio, due to his wife's family being in Italy. Doesn't matter actually, if Barca are now interested. Mustafi has previous La Liga experience.
Good comparison stats between Maguire and Mustafi.

Edit: Maguire
Ooops :8surprise:

Post #510078  Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:38 pm 

Good that this arrangement between Arsenal-Spurs never happened.

https://www.whoateallthepies.tv/tottenh ... -1977.html

Post #510079  Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:04 pm 

Interesting times for Aubameyang

https://www.skysports.com/share/12133911

Post #510080  Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:39 pm 

Seems Elneny has tested positive for COVID-19.

[ 563336 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12749, 12750, 12751, 12752, 12753, 12754, 12755 ... 14084  Next