Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, grantyboy, john1 and 284 guests

Post #472041  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:47 am 

Just being curious about what exactly was said can have me be labeled homophobic.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53678416

Post #472042  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:51 am 

Have another go at this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadspin.c ... 623209/amp

Post #472043  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:38 am 

Goonie wrote:
But the first choice pairing is Luiz and Mustafi. :)

Mustafi will probably miss the start of the season though.

On a little more serious note, looking beyond the height of our recent (and rumoured) signings in central defense, it seems like all three of Mari, Saliba and Gabriel have a reputation of being very comfortable with the ball. This is possibly a big part of Arteta's strategy, and a reason for why he extended the contract of Luiz despite his uneaven defensive performances. Our ability to play out from the back was one of many things that improved under Arteta compared to Emery's reign.

Post #472044  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:49 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

As you said, you feel for the individuals affected, but this article makes a lot of good points.

Post #472045  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:06 pm 

socrates wrote:
Hey Hodd,

What on earth is going on re the scouting network. Are we getting rid of scouting in favour of a contact book aproach to signing players? I'm dumbfounded by what's going on.

Surely, the way forward for a club like Arsenal if they wish to compete with the elite clubs is to have THE best scouting network, not none at all.

I know no more than anyone else on this

Post #472046  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:47 pm 

Saw this this morning......"Chelsea have prioritised the signing of £60m-rated Uruguay defender Jose Gimenez, 25, from Atletico Madrid after being priced out of a move from West Ham's England midfielder and centre-back Declan Rice"

That sums up how craxy it is to shop in the Prem for english talent. I like Rice but he plays for West Ham. Gimenez has played champions league finals and is at the top end of La Liga with Atletico in often the meanest defence in the league and has nearly 60 caps for his country - but Chelsea are going for him at £60m because they are PRICED OUT of a move for Rice!

Crazy

Post #472047  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:42 pm 

dec wrote:
...I have shirts from 20 years ago that look exactly like they were when I bought them.
But do you?

Post #472048  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:58 pm 

HoddGooner wrote:
Very disappointed; they've been fantastic this season and deserved to go up, albeit they were 2nd best last night. It would have been nice for them to have been able to christen their new stadium as a premier league club
I have a soft spot for Fulham, but it would have been something else to see Brentford back in the top division. What a great effort they made. Last time we played them in the League was May 1947 when we won by the only goal of the game scored by Paddy Sloan. Sloan must have been the definition of have boots will travel, including a spell at Milan. Read his Wiki entry!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddy_Sloan

Post #472049  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:21 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
dec wrote:
...I have shirts from 20 years ago that look exactly like they were when I bought them.
But do you?

Mean

Post #472050  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:56 pm 

According to Matt Law, Aubameyang is close to signing a new contract until 2023.

Post #472051  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:18 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
According to Matt Law, Aubameyang is close to signing a new contract until 2023.

And Willian turned down a 2 year deal at £140k per week with Chelsea to sign a 3 year deal at £100k per week with us. One of my fears with Willian was paying him upwards of £200k a week. I'd feel a lot more comfortable if that is his wage

Post #472052  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:56 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
But do you?

Mean
Back in the 80s I helped out in the Miners Strike and was given a Coal Not Dole tee shirt by one of the mining families from Kent. In those days I was a guy who had to run around in a shower to get wet - a sort of shorter version of Peter Crouch. The shirt fitted well and I was proud to wear it. A couple of years ago I attempted to try it on for old times sake. Sadly I looked like I was gas mark ten pregnant.

Post #472053  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:07 pm 

Arteta is going to have a tough choice once Mustafi is back from injury. :42laughter:

Post #472054  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:15 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Back in the 80s I helped out in the Miners Strike and was given a Coal Not Dole tee shirt by one of the mining families from Kent. In those days I was a guy who had to run around in a shower to get wet - a sort of shorter version of Peter Crouch. The shirt fitted well and I was proud to wear it. A couple of years ago I attempted to try it on for old times sake. Sadly I looked like I was gas mark ten pregnant.

It happens. I took up running in April - I was working from home and not really seeing any people because of corona, so I needed something to occupy myself with (and I'd been a lazy b****** for far too long). After going on a run three times a week for about three months I finally climbed the scales at the end of June and found out I'd gained five pounds.

Post #472055  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:38 pm 

Rich wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

And Willian turned down a 2 year deal at £140k per week with Chelsea to sign a 3 year deal at £100k per week with us. One of my fears with Willian was paying him upwards of £200k a week. I'd feel a lot more comfortable if that is his wage

Doesn’t sound right Rich. Those figures, if correct, would mean Willian getting £14,560,000 in two years at Chelsea (£140,000 x 52 = £7,280,000 x 2 = £14,560,000). At Arsenal he would be getting £15,600,000 in three years (£100,000 x 52 = £5,200,000 x 3 = £15,600,000).

That represents a difference of £1,040,000 more that he’d be getting at Arsenal for staying a year longer. He could make up that difference by joining an American or Chinese club paying him £20,000 a week on leaving Chelsea in two years. In reality, I’m sure he would be able find a club somewhere that would be willing to give him appreciably more than twenty grand a week in a couple of years time (when he’d still be 33, albeit on the verge of 34 as his birthday is 9th August). Hence your figures just don’t sound right.

Post #472056  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:07 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Doesn’t sound right Rich. Those figures, if correct, would mean Willian getting £14,560,000 in two years at Chelsea (£140,000 x 52 = £7,280,000 x 2 = £14,560,000). At Arsenal he would be getting £15,600,000 in three years (£100,000 x 52 = £5,200,000 x 3 = £15,600,000).

That represents a difference of £1,040,000 more that he’d be getting at Arsenal for staying a year longer. He could make up that difference by joining an American or Chinese club paying him £20,000 a week on leaving Chelsea in two years. In reality, I’m sure he would be able find a club somewhere that would be willing to give him appreciably more than twenty grand a week in a couple of years time (when he’d still be 33, albeit on the verge of 34 as his birthday is 9th August). Hence your figures just don’t sound right.

Bernard I agree. On the face of it..it doesn’t seem to make sense but there may be other aspects to the deal not reported....such as....win and trophy bonuses, appearance targets, the security of an extra years employment with full medical insurance, personal rights clauses like percentage of shirt sales, an extra year of pension contributions..... I’m kinda making these up a bit as I go along But you get the drift.

Post #472057  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:50 pm 

The gooner now seems keen to promote internet and social media hysteria

https://www.onlinegooner.com/articles/view/5300

Post #472058  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:30 pm 

Few journalists saying AMN has been told he can leave the club. Whilst he may be a player we can generate a decent fee for there are a lot of players who should be leaving before him and I’d actually be against him leaving as beyond Saka I think he’s the best academy player we’ve got. Seems to have flipped a switch with his work with Arteta.

If he does leave the price needs to be £25m minimum. Kyle Walker peters is going to Southampton for £15m. If we sell AMN for anything close to £15m I’d be fuming

Post #472059  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:01 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
dec wrote:
But do you?

Ha. :angel9: . I certainly don't. They still fit me but would be entirely decorative these days. I'd pull half the muscles in my body if I tried to play football these days.

Post #472060  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:04 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

It happens. I took up running in April - I was working from home and not really seeing any people because of corona, so I needed something to occupy myself with (and I'd been a lazy b****** for far too long). After going on a run three times a week for about three months I finally climbed the scales at the end of June and found out I'd gained five pounds.

Muscle is heavier than fat, Haz......

Post #472061  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:19 pm 

Rich wrote:
Few journalists saying AMN has been told he can leave the club. Whilst he may be a player we can generate a decent fee for there are a lot of players who should be leaving before him and I’d actually be against him leaving as beyond Saka I think he’s the best academy player we’ve got. Seems to have flipped a switch with his work with Arteta.

If he does leave the price needs to be £25m minimum. Kyle Walker peters is going to Southampton for £15m. If we sell AMN for anything close to £15m I’d be fuming

Hi Rich,

He shouldn't be leaving, he's homegrown and he's versatile. He's quick, athletic, technically adept and quite strong. The only negative was in his head but he seems to have sorted himself out now. He has the makings of a better right back than Bellerin.

Post #472062  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:22 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Maybe it was the 15 donuts you eat at the end of every run, Haz.

Post #472063  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:24 pm 

socrates wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Well I had to reward myself for running, right?

Post #472064  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:27 pm 

I'm torn on Maitland-Niles. On the one hand I'd really want him to stay, he's a good young player who is versatile, and obviously being an academy player is a plus. On the other hand, he doesn't seem to have a preferred position and while he has excellent physical qualities I'm not sure he's skillful enough on the ball to play full back or wing back consistently. With his pedigree hes probably worth about 20-25 million too, and he's 23 soon so certainly not a kid anymore.

Post #472065  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:27 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
socrates wrote:

Well I had to reward myself for running, right?

Absolutely.

Post #472066  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:32 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
I'm torn on Maitland-Niles. On the one hand I'd really want him to stay, he's a good young player who is versatile, and obviously being an academy player is a plus. On the other hand, he doesn't seem to have a preferred position and while he has excellent physical qualities I'm not sure he's skillful enough on the ball to play full back or wing back consistently. With his pedigree hes probably worth about 20-25 million too, and he's 23 soon so certainly not a kid anymore.

In terms of his ability as a fullback/wingback I like his pace, going forward and recovering. Obviously he's not a natural defender but then neither is Bellerin.

Post #472067  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:35 pm 

socrates wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

In terms of his ability as a fullback/wingback I like his pace, going forward and recovering. Obviously he's not a natural defender but then neither is Bellerin.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't argue much with anyone wanting him to stay. He was excellent against Chelsea in the final, and his pace and work rate seems made for the way Arteta wants to play.

Anyway, speaking of departures, some apparently reliable sources in Italy are saying Fiorentina are close to signing Torreira.

Post #472068  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:41 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
socrates wrote:

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't argue much with anyone wanting him to stay. He was excellent against Chelsea in the final, and his pace and work rate seems made for the way Arteta wants to play.

Anyway, speaking of departures, some apparently reliable sources in Italy are saying Fiorentina are close to signing Torreira.

I could definitely see that one happening, although could Fiorentina afford a decent transfer fee for him?

Post #472069  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:47 pm 

Hazuki wrote:

In the current climate I can't see anyone (like Brighton) paying £20m+ for him as a RB unless they see him as a central midfielder to build a team around and I don't think they could possibly gamble on that given the limited opportunities he had in midfield.

I don't want him sold off cheaply.

Post #472070  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:46 pm 

socrates wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

In the current climate I can't see anyone (like Brighton) paying £20m+ for him as a RB unless they see him as a central midfielder to build a team around and I don't think they could possibly gamble on that given the limited opportunities he had in midfield.

I don't want him sold off cheaply.

I think the Mail have said we are asking 30.

Post #472071  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:16 am 

Hazuki wrote:
After going on a run three times a week for about three months I finally climbed the scales at the end of June and found out I'd gained five pounds.

'Fattening the curves' are you ? That's like when I get on the scale, it has a message that says "One at a time"

Post #472072  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:31 am 

:icon_eek1:
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/06/poli ... index.html

Post #472073  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:33 am 

Haven't seen much of Mari in an Arsenal shirt to say one way or another but this is why we got him.

Post #472074  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:38 am 

I'm also looking caustiously at Soares. Why was he placed on loan by Soton? Twice? We being the second club. Soton is a good club, tough at home but why couldn't he secure a starting position? Hmm...

Post #472075  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:04 am 

I appreciate Emery wanting to take Guendouzi off our hands, but if we can have as part of a deal to sweeten us getting Partey, I'd do that. If we get Partey, we won't win the title but we'll be very tough to beat. I'd take Partey right now over Coutinho. Not because he's better in terms of his position compared to Coutinho but we need his position more. We can get by in creativity with Ceballos and if he stays Özil. We have other creative players, but if we can get a quick, athletic DM, in front of Saliba and whomever, we can hold on to leads better.

We have limited funds. We always seem to chase creative/attacking players at the expense of defense. We have been suffering at the back for ages. The one time we spent (he who shall not be named) we effed it up royally. Who ever scouted him needs to be taken out behind the back of big Tone's statue and shot.

In a perfect transfer world, I'd love to have Partey, Coutinho, Willian and Aubameyang staying but its not going to happen. Dein, via Fiszman, has left us with Kroenke. I said it then and its still the same. Any trophies we win with him as owner is, in spite of, not because of, him being our owner. Arteta and the ones that care have to play Bob Cratchit to Stan's Scrooge.

We are sorted at the full back positions. Although he's been getting it on here, I actually like Kolasinac. He's a decent back up. He's tough, experienced and decent going forward. He's not going to replace Winterburn in the memories of gooners of great Arsenal left backs but he's decent enough against most competition.

Tierney and Bellerin are a great pair of fullbacks even though the latter seems to have lost a yard of pace.

Post #472076  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:11 am 

...on a non football note, I was surprised I didn't see any mention of the passing of John Hume on here and assumed it was a sensitive topic. Or perhaps people were just too occupied.

Post #472077  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:40 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

You are wrong on this one TG.

The amount being saved here on salaries is a tiny drop in the ocean compared to the money being squandered on agents fees, greasing the palms of intermediaries etc.

Saving around £2-3m on wages is loose change to a man of Kroenke's wealth and it is all very well saying that they will get redundancy payments but where do they get another job in the current environment.

The Krankies could have of at least waited until the dust settled a bit on the Covid thing. In a year's time things could look a whole lot different.

The gloss has been taken off the elation of a cup final win by ill-timed redundancies that reflect badly on the club.

It's morally indefensible and the timing stinks.

You can say Kroenke should have paid their salaries but he doesn’t put money into the club.

You can say Mesut Özil should pay it, but he’s contractually bound and already refused a pay cut.

You’ve already given the players a pay cut they agree to so therefore what are Arsenal supposed to do?

Oh step back investing in the team and don’t acquire new players or pay agents. Well that will definitely mean these people won’t have jobs in future.

This is happening up and down the country, what makes football think of itself any differently.

Hi TG,

Most businesses are not owned by a billionaire whose fortune has risen by over £300m during the pandemic.

He could absorb the costs of keeping those staff in jobs without even blinking and think of the goodwill it would have generated.

Post #472078  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:42 am 

Reading more reports that the £100k a Week wages for Willian are correct, but that he also gets a £10m signing on fee. So more like £160k a week for 3 years on a free transfer. Also has incentives/bonus related elements.

I’d much prefer us to move towards smaller basic wage topped up with bigger bonuses. It makes sense. Win things and you get paid more

Post #472079  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:46 am 

If the rumours that Aubameyang has agreed a new deal with us are true then it’s great news. It also made me think back to how, certainly one my time supporting Arsenal, that we’ve had some unbelievable strikers/goal scorers pretty consistently for 30 years.
Wright (who was a God to a 10 year old me), Anelka, Henry, Van Persie, Adebayor, Aubameyang
Adebayor and Anelka weren’t as consistent or stay as long as some others but these were 25 a season strikers. When you look at what other top teams have had over that 30 year period we’ve been pretty lucky.

Post #472080  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:13 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

You can say Kroenke should have paid their salaries but he doesn’t put money into the club.

You can say Mesut Özil should pay it, but he’s contractually bound and already refused a pay cut.

You’ve already given the players a pay cut they agree to so therefore what are Arsenal supposed to do?

Oh step back investing in the team and don’t acquire new players or pay agents. Well that will definitely mean these people won’t have jobs in future.

This is happening up and down the country, what makes football think of itself any differently.

Hi TG,

Most businesses are not owned by a billionaire whose fortune has risen by over £300m during the pandemic.

He could absorb the costs of keeping those staff in jobs without even blinking and think of the goodwill it would have generated.

But the jobs don’t exist anymore that’s the entire point. If you come in to work and there’s no work to perform you’d expect to be out of work at some point

Surely it makes more sense to offer them a generous redundancy payment in a golden handshake then everyone moves on. A redundancy payment can be 5-9 months salary anyway. I bet that head scout is on a massive golden handshake.

Arsenal are one of the only clubs to have paid all their staff 100% of their salaries through out the whole crisis and not used any Government scheme or support to do so. Yet now they are getting battered by the fake twitter outrage mob

[ 529274 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11799, 11800, 11801, 11802, 11803, 11804, 11805 ... 13232  Next