Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:59 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 343 guests

Post #495841  Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:00 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Did your comms retract their earlier statements & end up saying Soc was fouled first & he had been hard done by. That is what we saw

I couldn't give a damn what your commentators said. He fouled the player to stop him having a clear goal scoring opportunity. A second yellow all day long in my view.

Did you see the front on view.

Post #495842  Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:35 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I couldn't give a damn what your commentators said. He fouled the player to stop him having a clear goal scoring opportunity. A second yellow all day long in my view.

I must have seen it from every view. What's your motivation for this? It was a booking all day long.

Post #495843  Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:37 pm 

Thought Emery’s game management after the red card was odd and wrong. The right decision was to bring off Özil and bring on AMN, go 4-4-1 and defend the wide areas properly by giving the full backs some support.
Playing Mkhitaryan at RB - who didn’t do too badly - but then to play 3 CMs and not give any protection to the full backs was strange.
Rennes quickly adapted and switched play to cause us problems

Post #495844  Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:37 pm 

If we are losing to the likes of bate and Rennes then how the neck are we supposed to win this competition.
We can beat Rennes 2 0 or 4 1 or 3 0 but as soon as we come up against napoli or Chelsea or Seville or Valencia we will come up short due to our woeful away form.
As soon as sokratis got the first yellow it was obvious the 2nd would follow. Very good defender but can be rash and emotive.
FFS Arsenal see the game out at 2 1.
Do not concede a 3rd... you just *%^@*** knew we would.
Brainless

Post #495845  Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:42 pm 

Rich wrote:
Man City being formally investigated for breaking FFP rules. Sigh, is there any point. Of course they have broken them, they have sponsorship deals wildly out of kilter with the market rate and their standing and fan base and they’ve spent a billion quid on players. No team goes from where city were to where they are without breaking FFP rules. I’d wager a fair amount there will be some sort of slap on the wrist or small fry punishment, potentially an appeal and we probably just continue on as we are

They'll get the oh so damaging freeze on transfer windows. After 1 last opportunity to fill the squad in the summer of course.

Post #495846  Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:22 pm 

Guendouzi reallypoor for the 3rd goal, he’s tracking back but jogging, he has a 15 yard lead on Ramsey who is sprinting back, Ramsey over takes Guendouzi and ends up as the closest player to Sarr at the back post. But not close enough. If Guendouzi sprints as hard as Ramsey he is on top of Sarr to make the challenge and potentially stop the goal

Post #495847  Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:57 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I must have seen it from every view. What's your motivation for this? It was a booking all day long.

Simply this. When I first saw it from a distance I thought absolute second booking. But from the other angle it appeared that the Rennes player actually fouled Sokratis first to get in front of him. In other words the free should have gone the other way before Sokratis fouled him.

I am not using it as an excuse. Any decent team should have been able to defend with 10 men against a very ordinary team like them.

Post #495848  Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:59 pm 

Rich wrote:
Guendouzi reallypoor for the 3rd goal, he’s tracking back but jogging, he has a 15 yard lead on Ramsey who is sprinting back, Ramsey over takes Guendouzi and ends up as the closest player to Sarr at the back post. But not close enough. If Guendouzi sprints as hard as Ramsey he is on top of Sarr to make the challenge and potentially stop the goal

If u think he was bad I suggest you look at Monreal who could not be bothered at all.

Post #495849  Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:51 pm 

Rich wrote:
One really worrying trait is how we can seem to focus and stay disciplined in our bigger games but switch off in so called easier games

Indeed. Especially away from home. Somehow our players can't be motivated enough.

Post #495850  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:24 am 

I was hoping the team will build on the Spurs performance. Bollocks! :8angers:

Post #495851  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:58 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:

If u think he was bad I suggest you look at Monreal who could not be bothered at all.

Agreed, with 11 menMonreal has Sarr in his pocket. With 10 men he went to pot

Post #495852  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:11 am 

This recent spate of red cards is hurting us, particularly with the games they miss. I have to say it does seem a bit of a farce that Lacazette got a 3 game ban for his straight red when Pogba only got a 1 game ban for a straight red which was studs to the side of a knee.
Football needs to sort out the displinery hierarchy based on the potential severity of what the red card challenge could do.

Rugby has become much clearer on this. Spear tackles, or taking the man out in the air which have the potential to injure the neck have become much more seriously punished. In football you get the same punishment for 2 footing someone and potentially ending their career as you do for easing your hands and giving a little slap round the face.

Post #495853  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:59 am 

Guendouzi's efforts to block the cross that led to the own goal and then to track Sarr for the third goal were lamentable and arguably cost us both goals. I'd be sitting him down and showing re-runs of the two incidents and explaining how talent alone is not enough, you have to work hard defensively, which means tracking runners and closing down opposition players quickly. It's not like he was tired either, he only came on in the second half.

I've been saying for a while that for all his prodigious talent the defensive side of his game needs a lot of work and it was inevitable that his failure to track runners would eventually cost us at some point. Sadly, it's cost us in one of the biggest games of the season.

Hopefully, he will learn and learn quickly but only if he is coached properly.

Post #495854  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:03 am 

We are what we are, a fairly average team overly reliant on a couple of outstanding strikers

Post #495855  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:10 am 

Emery has shown that on occasion he can raise a collective performance from the team that strikes the right balance between defensive solidity, attacking flair and concentration and professionalism. The concern is that this hasn’t happened nearly enough and is more of the blip to our norm.
The question therefore is could there be more that Emery is not getting out of these players? If they CAN do it why don’t they do it more regularly. Or, are the players just so wildly inconsistent that no coach is going to be able to coax those top performances out on a regular basis. Do too many of our players have that stupid switch that they just can’t turn off?

It bothers me about the team because often it isn’t necessarily a bad performance it is just doing something that is ultimately avoidable.
Our last few goals conceded
Caught on a 5v4 counter in the last minute of a game we should just see our for a 2-1 loss (Rennes)
An own goal (Rennes)
A silly free kick (and a fine strike) (Rennes)
A stupid shove for a pen turning a 1/10 chance to a 9.5/10 chance (spurs)
Losing the ball in the edge of our own box to gift a 2v1 on the gk (b’mouth)
Goal from a set piece (bate)
Last minute own goal (Huddersfield)
Goal after 45 seconds (city)
Goal in the last minute (cardiff)
Two counter attack goals when we’re wide open (Man U)
Two penalties (Liverpool)
Firminho slaloming through a non existing defence (Liverpool)
Long ball and poor header (Brighton)
I think I’ll stop there....so many bad goals. I know every goal fans will blame their own defence but that is a particularly bad list that didn’t really require any brilliance from our opponents

Post #495856  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:16 am 

The bravery of the wall for the free kick is very questionable as well. Not great.

Post #495857  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:20 am 

A question for everyone.......has any top team in the world ever suffered as many embarassing defeats as we have over recent seasons, from the thrashings against the likes of United to the losses against the minnows of europe?

Post #495858  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:22 am 

socrates wrote:
Guendouzi's efforts to block the cross that led to the own goal and then to track Sarr for the third goal were lamentable and arguably cost us both goals. I'd be sitting him down and showing re-runs of the two incidents and explaining how talent alone is not enough, you have to work hard defensively, which means tracking runners and closing down opposition players quickly. It's not like he was tired either, he only came on in the second half.

I've been saying for a while that for all his prodigious talent the defensive side of his game needs a lot of work and it was inevitable that his failure to track runners would eventually cost us at some point. Sadly, it's cost us in one of the biggest games of the season.

Hopefully, he will learn and learn quickly but only if he is coached properly.

At least I have more faith that will happen under the current management rather than the previous one

Post #495859  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:24 am 

socrates wrote:
A question for everyone.......has any top team in the world ever suffered as many embarassing defeats as we have over recent seasons, from the thrashings against the likes of United to the losses against the minnows of europe?

I think the losses to minnows are relatively common even amongst the best. I’ve seen Real Madrid and PSG lose cup matches against minnows, and I’ve seen big clubs lose away in Europe. The big one for me are the continual thrashings by our rivals in the league.

Also, you have to question if we are a top team in Europe any more

Post #495860  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:34 am 

We should beat these guys handily at home. They are very porous. An early goal and I can see us getting 3 or 4. Monreal at fault for the 3rd goal. Why is the LB up taking a throw with 3 minutes left?

Post #495861  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:11 am 

Bernard wrote:
It was a booking all day long.

Having looked again at the wide shot, if it's a foul it's a booking. It wasn't a clear goal-scoring opportunity because Kos was close by so it wasn't a red, but I agree Bern - in those circumstances, you'd expect a booking.

However, I'm not convinced Sok's was the first foul.

Post #495862  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:14 am 

socrates wrote:

No.

Post #495863  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:17 am 

Odd goals last night.

Our goal was lucky; it certainly wasn't intended. Their first was as unstoppable as it is unrepeatable. Their second was as unlucky as it was un-defendable.

Their third however was a corker, albeit brought about by our RB stranded on the left wing.

I still think Rennes are a poor team who wouldn't last long in the Prem, but they're better than Bate Borisov.

Post #495864  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:42 am 

socrates wrote:

"top team"???

sadly it's been a while since we were that

Merci Arsene

Post #495865  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:59 am 

Agree with this Emery screwed up last night

https://www.onlinegooner.com/articles/view/4730

Post #495866  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:06 am 

tomc wrote:
socrates wrote:

"top team"???

sadly it's been a while since we were that

Merci Arsene

I should rephrase that, by top teams I mean top clubs in europe and we are undeniably that.

Post #495867  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:51 am 

Rich wrote:
...you have to question if we are a top team in Europe any more
The answer to that is simple. We are not even the top team in London, let alone Europe! We are of course the greatest club in England. Always will be.

Post #495868  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:18 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Rich wrote:
The answer to that is simple. We are not even the top team in London, let alone Europe! We are of course the greatest club in England. Always will be.

Oh yeah. Goes without saying. Just the name alone.

Post #495869  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:22 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Agree with this Emery screwed up last night

https://www.onlinegooner.com/articles/view/4730

indeed it was not a tactical masterclass from Dick last night, must do better

Post #495870  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:42 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXLpeo4bJUI

Post #495871  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:45 am 

From Italy: Monchi decided to leave for a number of reasons including finding it difficult to cope with criticism and negativity surrounding Roma as well as failing to meet expectations in the transfer market.

Seems common knowledge that he’s coming to Arsenal. Although if the above bothers him then he has t properly researched the arsenal fan base!

Post #495872  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:47 am 

Man U’s injury crisis is over just in time for a game v them. Matic, Herrera and martial all fit.

Post #495873  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:56 am 

I actually think we may go through with a 2-0 or 4-1 win at home, albeit a long shot but I have very little confidence in this side doing much for the rest of the season.

Post #495874  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:20 pm 

tomc wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Oh yeah. Goes without saying. Just the name alone.
And the wonderful red shirt with the white sleeves. No club can compare with it - though Rotherham do their best.

Post #495875  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:47 pm 

Watched the highlights of Porto v Roma, Porto scores a VAR penalty in extra time. It was absolutely the correct call and shows VAR being used properly.....apart from one thing. The Porto player is potentially about to tap the ball in at the back post but his shirt is pulled by the Roma defender. As this was a clear goal scoring opportunity and there was no attempt to play the ball bu the defender the rules state that is a red card. It might be minor but it is inconsistency where the rule is so clear. I remeber Koscielny getting sent off in one of the Bayern 5-1 games with this exact rule.

Post #495876  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:29 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
And the wonderful red shirt with the white sleeves. No club can compare with it - though Rotherham do their best.

Don't forget Fleetwood Town.

Post #495877  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:23 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Rich wrote:

We are now Tottenham about a decade ago or so.

Post #495878  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:56 pm 

Chelsea’s appeal to postpone their transfer ban whilst an appeal occurs has been rejected by FIFA. Too right it should. The fundamental point of a transfer ban would be moot if you’re allowed one more transfer window to stock up before the ban kicks in

Post #495879  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:02 pm 

Bernard wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Don't forget Fleetwood Town.

Who also play at Highbury. Copy cats.

Post #495880  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:17 pm 

socrates wrote:

PSG. Their exits from the CL are quite something.

[ 572008 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12394, 12395, 12396, 12397, 12398, 12399, 12400 ... 14301  Next