Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 270 guests

Post #471921  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:09 am 

Ash wrote:
dec wrote:
That penalty incident was beyond farce. If I understood the lino, he said that Kane was in an offside position but not active because he didn't touch the ball (even though he did) so therefore the peno stands. Mind boggling

We had a similar goal against us a few years ago against Everton, the French Striker who came via Fulham and Utd who’s name escapes me.

Saha ...?

Tried to watch the Superbowl .... Eagles offence march downfield but can't make the end zone have to resort to a field goal ... those teams troop off ....... five minutes of adverts

On comes the 'special teams ' , Eagles kick off ball fielded , that's end of that .
Special teams go off .......five minutes of adverts

Patriots offence comes on they march down the field but have to resort to a field goal ... they troop off ... five minutes of adverts

On comes the special teams one kick off ... one play ....... five minutes of adverts

This goes on for three hours one hours actual playing time .
Winner becomes WORLD champions ...when they are the only numpties who play it seriously .

What a sport I'll watch the highlights .

Post #471922  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:03 am 

John wrote:
Daz wrote:
Was speaking to a German guy at my son's football match (excellent CDM performance) and he was really raving about Mkhitaryan thinks we might have got the best end of that deal...

He was fantastic.
I thought his game bore all the hallmarks of Arsene Wenger's malign influence. He was much better under Mourinho.

Post #471923  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:21 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
John wrote:
He was fantastic.
I thought his game bore all the hallmarks of Arsene Wenger's malign influence. He was much better under Mourinho.

Give Wenger till May to sort him out. :icon_mrgreen1:

Post #471924  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:35 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Damn lucky he's still with us ... if Gaz or Bernard had any influence at the club he'd have been sold the next day after his half hour Swansea performance .

Not true, we just commented words to the effect that he made a quiet debut at Swansea. Which he did.

Well not quite ; "Achtung " ....slight goalpost shift .

Gaz was laying into Mkhitaryan for strolling around like he didn't care and you agreed with him .

Now the Voice of Reason [ that's me ] said " Give the poor guy a break first day nerves etc etc ..... and look what happened .

Is it too late for you to develop patience and vision ...?

Post #471925  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:06 am 

Not that you reprobates give a damn..haha...but my Philadelphia Eagles just won the Super Bowl for the first time. :53big-emoticons: The Americanized 'World Champions'...haha...I recall the first time a Brit told me how it sounded. I had to agree it was pretty arrogant of a country to call themselves world champions in a sport only they played (pedantry forces me to say that Canada plays it as well and has their own league). I don't have any tattoos. My friends do and have been teasing me about not having one for years and I always said there are two conditions. Eagles win the Super Bowl and Arsenal win the Champions League. Half way there.

Post #471926  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:24 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Not true, we just commented words to the effect that he made a quiet debut at Swansea. Which he did.

Gaz was laying into Mkhitaryan for strolling around like he didn't care and you agreed with him .

Now the Voice of Reason [ that's me ] said " Give the poor guy a break first day nerves etc etc ..... and look what happened .

The proof is always when we are playing at Swansea/Stoke /Bournemouth/Man u and whether he digs deep or just gives a no care display. Then I will judge whether he is a good buy.

You were probably bigging up Chamakh, Chambers, Holding, and numerous others after a couple of games but....

Post #471927  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:15 am 

John wrote:
Rog I posted a pic of Rocky about 8 years ago that the wife adored but we lost it. Would it be in the ‘database’? *

*looks around nervously to see if people are tittering at 'database' ...

Here you go :

Attachment:

Attachment:

Sorry for the delay - I was watching an American gridiron team become Champions of the World.

I've been following baseball lately too. Looking forward to the World Series.
I think the Americans are gonna clinch it this year again. They never cease to amaze.

Post #471928  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:47 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:

The man has only played in two games for Arsenal. One gave a negative impression, one a positive impression of his potential longer-term influence. He has great skill, that is obvious. But as with any signing after just two games, it's too early to reach firm conclusions.

Post #471929  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:08 am 

Al'reet, now then. The ANBER (Association of Northern Biased Envious Refs) have opened a statistics file on gormless Eddie Smart from the West Midlands. Don't thee worry, lad, we're watching your percentages from now on. Just lucky it wasn't London's most successful Bank of England club THE Arsenal tha gave a couple of soft penalties to.

Post #471930  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:14 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
John wrote:
He was fantastic.

Being a man of such intellect and probity, your Huckleberry Wenger must be LIVID with Aubameyang's offside goal. I mean, yes, Everton were being murdered but there was EVERY CHANCE that absent that piece of disgraceful bias from a Greek lino furious at the EU austerity package and therefore biased in some vague but nevertheless obvious a priori way against scousers, they would have been right back in the game.

Let's talk percentages here. 20% of our goals came from wrong decisions - do the math.

Post #471931  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:20 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

The proof is always when we are playing at Swansea/Stoke /Bournemouth/Man u and whether he digs deep or just gives a no care display. Then I will judge whether he is a good buy.

You were probably bigging up Chamakh, Chambers, Holding, and numerous others after a couple of games but....

Mika was great but there were a few occasions when he went down rolling in agony and needing treatment after fairly run-of-the-mill challenges. You have to wonder how he will cope physically, especially away from home.

Hopefully, he will be like Pires and his talent will outweigh the fact he's a bit lightweight physically.

Post #471932  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:24 am 

Swansea/Stoke/Bournemouth/Man U seems like an extremely arbitrary list of opponents a player needs to do well against.

Post #471933  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:34 am 

I like Northern Ref, you can tell he's a proper double-hard flat cap wearing northerner who speaks his mind. No danger of him losing touch with his northern roots like that cravat wearing smoking jacket donning luvvie Daz.

Post #471934  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:38 am 

Daz wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Being a man of such intellect and probity, your Huckleberry Wenger must be LIVID with Aubameyang's offside goal. I mean, yes, Everton were being murdered but there was EVERY CHANCE that absent that piece of disgraceful bias from a Greek lino furious at the EU austerity package and therefore biased in some vague but nevertheless obvious a priori way against scousers, they would have been right back in the game.

Let's talk percentages here. 20% of our goals came from wrong decisions - do the math.

Yeh, but the other 90% were valid goals.

Post #471935  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:41 am 

socrates wrote:
I like Northern Ref, you can tell he's a proper double-hard flat cap wearing northerner who speaks his mind. No danger of him losing touch with his northern roots like that cravat wearing smoking jacket donning luvvie Daz.

Reet gradley of you, Socrates, although we don't usually go around expressing admiration for other men in case it gives wrong impression.

Post #471936  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:54 am 

Northern Ref wrote:
socrates wrote:

Reet gradley of you, Socrates, although we don't usually go around expressing admiration for other men in case it gives wrong impression.

To use the northern vernacular "by 'eck lad yer right". No offence meant.

I hear you were born in Ecky Thump and worked down t'pit until you were nearly five.

Post #471937  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:04 am 

socrates wrote:
Northern Ref wrote:

To use the northern vernacular "by 'eck lad yer right". No offence meant.

I hear you were born in Ecky Thump and worked down t'pit until you were nearly five.

Five? He was lucky.

Post #471938  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:11 am 

Ash wrote:
dec wrote:
That penalty incident was beyond farce. If I understood the lino, he said that Kane was in an offside position but not active because he didn't touch the ball (even though he did) so therefore the peno stands. Mind boggling

They read the law on motd2 if a defender deliberately plays the ball first it doesn’t matter that he’s offside. Like a back pass. We had a similar goal against us a few years ago against Everton, the French Striker who came via Fulham and Utd who’s name escapes me. Same thing the defender scuffed the ball in an attempt to play it forward and it spun on to Louis Saha was was it?? At the time it was interpreted as a back pass which was farcical. I don’t know if they’ve changed the law or just it was mis represented at the time. I didn’t think either penalty call was outrageous. Anyway Salah is flippin amazing isn’t he, his second goal was truely Messi-esque.

When I posted that shortly after the incident, I thought that the lino was referring to whether Kane had touched the ball, as opposed to Lovren. This comes down to the daft different phases of play again. Lovren wouldn't have tried to play it had Kane not been there. So it should have been called offside right there when the pass to Kane was made. There is another issue here too. The audio of the conversation has revealed that neither the ref or the linesman knew if Lovren had touched the ball. John Moss asked the 4th official if he saw anything on the tv (even though it was not a VAR game!!!) and then just said "I'm giving the penalty".

Post #471939  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:30 am 

dec wrote:
Ash wrote:

They read the law on motd2 if a defender deliberately plays the ball first it doesn’t matter that he’s offside. Like a back pass. We had a similar goal against us a few years ago against Everton, the French Striker who came via Fulham and Utd who’s name escapes me. Same thing the defender scuffed the ball in an attempt to play it forward and it spun on to Louis Saha was was it?? At the time it was interpreted as a back pass which was farcical. I don’t know if they’ve changed the law or just it was mis represented at the time. I didn’t think either penalty call was outrageous. Anyway Salah is flippin amazing isn’t he, his second goal was truely Messi-esque.

When I posted that shortly after the incident, I thought that the lino was referring to whether Kane had touched the ball, as opposed to Lovren. This comes down to the daft different phases of play again. Lovren wouldn't have tried to play it had Kane not been there. So it should have been called offside right there when the pass to Kane was made. There is another issue here too. The audio of the conversation has revealed that neither the ref or the linesman knew if Lovren had touched the ball. John Moss asked the 4th official if he saw anything on the tv (even though it was not a VAR game!!!) and then just said "I'm giving the penalty".

Yes, this I agree with. He’s gaining an advantage from being in an offside position before his offside is “validated” by the defenders touch. Which makes it different from intercepting a backpass as presumably the defender wouldn’t be more likely to pass it back knowing the attacker is there. i.e. The striker isn’t influencing the game by being offside, just benefitting from it by chance.

The audio I’m not that bothered about, VAR is clearly coming in anyway, and there wasn’t enough time, about a second, between the question and the decision for anyone to check a monitor.

Post #471940  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:47 am 

Daz wrote:
...do the math.
The only math that interests me is 5-1. Sorry to cause you pain by mentioning it.

Slightly off subject I can't help noticing how Özil's game has regressed under Wenger. Remember how he used to pass ther ball so well before he came to Arsenal? Shame. Maybe he'll get it back under Mourinho?

Post #471941  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:48 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Aaahh I'm with you ....... so when he has a cr**p game you can chant it from the rooftops but when he has a good game it's wait and see ; how he copes with a freezing cold night in Hartlepool will be the guideline .

Try being cheerful and live for the moment .

Post #471942  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:54 am 

Unfortunately they are going to wreck VAR by only having the four cameras around the pitch so they cannot get the views that the TV cameras get

If the are there anyway why can't they use them to get at the truth?

eg I could be wrong I've only seen it once but later last night they showed the second pen from different views and I was convinced it was not a penalty. Hopefully they will show it again on Refwatch at 11:30.

Post #471943  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:01 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Daz wrote:
...do the math.
The only math that interests me is 5-1. Sorry to cause you pain by mentioning it.

Slightly off subject I can't help noticing how Özil's game has regressed under Wenger. Remember how he used to pass ther ball so well before he came to Arsenal? Shame. Maybe he'll get it back under Mourinho?

BOOM!

Bank of England sarcasm.

Attachments:
images.jpg
images.jpg [ 7.3 KB | Viewed 1891 times ]

Post #471944  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:07 am 

socrates wrote:

Mika was great but there were a few occasions when he went down rolling in agony and needing treatment after fairly run-of-the-mill challenges. You have to wonder how he will cope physically, especially away from home.

Does that 22" Pye TV of yours broadcast in colour or black and white ...EVERYONE ...goes down in a big heap like they've been hit in the head with a howitzer when someone brushes their sock .
It's par for the course , today's soccer players are the biggest bunch of soft cocks under the sun .

Even Kolasinac falls over fairly easily ... they have absolutely no shame and none of the officials or the managers seem keen to stop it .

Post #471945  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:19 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Swansea/Stoke/Bournemouth/Man U seems like an extremely arbitrary list of opponents a player needs to do well against.

You can basically add any team away from home this season other than Everton. 10 if our goals this season have been scored against them. I just like to wait until other managers have video of 10 games by our brilliant new star & then decide how to play against him. This is the club where we have more false dawns than many other clubs.

Sorry for being so cautious. When he plays against someone like Shawcross on a cold wet day & a referee who is probably related to half the stoke team I will then see if he is closer to Messi or Gervinho.

Post #471946  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:30 am 

kiwipete wrote:
socrates wrote:

Does that 22" Pye TV of yours broadcast in colour or black and white ...EVERYONE ...goes down in a big heap like they've been hit in the head with a howitzer when someone brushes their sock .
It's par for the course , today's soccer players are the biggest bunch of soft cocks under the sun .

Even Kolasinac falls over fairly easily ... they have absolutely no shame and none of the officials or the managers seem keen to stop it .

Haven't you got a museum curate to annoy somewhere?

Post #471947  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:48 am 

Gallagher calls both pens ok. Firstone down to justtouching the ball Lovren starts a new phase of play, irrelevant now if he's in control, law change a few years ago.

Second he says yes but acknowledges VD was kicking at the ball when Spurs player steps in to his kick. Ridiculous as it was away from the goalmouth and had nothing to do with it being or not being a goal scoring opportunity.

Imo the law needs cleaning up.

Post #471948  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:25 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Gallagher calls both pens ok. Firstone down to justtouching the ball Lovren starts a new phase of play, irrelevant now if he's in control, law change a few years ago.

Second he says yes but acknowledges VD was kicking at the ball when Spurs player steps in to his kick. Ridiculous as it was away from the goalmouth and had nothing to do with it being or not being a goal scoring opportunity.

The ref said I have no idea if Lovren touched the ball or not. Doesn't that mean he shouldn't have given the pen as the only thing for certain is that Kane was offside?

I wouldn't be a ref for love nor money.

Post #471949  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:27 pm 

warrior wrote:
John wrote:
Rog I posted a pic of Rocky about 8 years ago that the wife adored but we lost it. Would it be in the ‘database’? *

*looks around nervously to see if people are tittering at 'database' ...

Here you go :

Attachment:
1.jpg

Attachment:
2.jpg

Sorry for the delay - I was watching an American gridiron team become Champions of the World.

I've been following baseball lately too. Looking forward to the World Series.
I think the Americans are gonna clinch it this year again. They never cease to amaze.

Great stuff, thanks for that. The Super Bowl was feckin awesome.

Post #471950  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:14 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

The ref said I have no idea if Lovren touched the ball or not. Doesn't that mean he shouldn't have given the pen as the only thing for certain is that Kane was offside?

I wouldn't be a ref for love nor money.

And nobody other than the Dutch cb has called into question the England strikers ability to stay on his feet. Both pens are a good illustration of why the games going to hell in a 24ct diamond encrusted handcart.

Good weekend of rugby though.

Post #471951  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:26 pm 

Folks, 92 year old Dad (Arsenal since just after WW2) received a scam phone call this morning from someone claiming to be from the Telephone Preference Service.
Tried to get him to give them his card details - he can't remember (or is too embarrassed to admit) if he gave them the info or not; so we've cancelled his debit card to be on the safe side.
The number that rang him is 01163040632 (a Leicester number) which is 'not in service' now.
The number they gave my Dad to call to verify their identity was 02036305457. I phoned this number and used a few words I wouldn't in polite company.
Anyway, moral of the story is to watch out for your vulnerable family members/friends.
For what it's worth, I use BT Call Protect on Dad's number, on which you can block all foreign incoming and mobiles if you so wish. You can also blacklist numbers. Unfortunately as today's situation shows, it doesn't always work as we would like; I guess there is no system that is foolproof - unless any of you esteemed guys know of one?
Thanks

Post #471952  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:36 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
.......pedantry forces me to say that Canada plays it as well and has their own league).

:1laughter: what relevance has that ..... the Canadians can't compete in your league , they never have a chance of becoming "WORLD" champions .

Post #471953  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:36 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Not that you reprobates give a damn..haha...but my Philadelphia Eagles just won the Super Bowl for the first time. :53big-emoticons: The Americanized 'World Champions'...haha...I recall the first time a Brit told me how it sounded. I had to agree it was pretty arrogant of a country to call themselves world champions in a sport only they played (pedantry forces me to say that Canada plays it as well and has their own league). I don't have any tattoos. My friends do and have been teasing me about not having one for years and I always said there are two conditions. Eagles win the Super Bowl and Arsenal win the Champions League. Half way there.

Pedantry forces me to point out that rules are different in Canada.

Post #471954  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:41 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Not that you reprobates give a damn..haha...but my Philadelphia Eagles just won the Super Bowl for the first time. :53big-emoticons: The Americanized 'World Champions'...haha...I recall the first time a Brit told me how it sounded. I had to agree it was pretty arrogant of a country to call themselves world champions in a sport only they played

Why you needed a 'Brit' to point this out I don't know.

Post #471955  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:33 pm 

30 mins gone Mike Dean has to be the star of the show............

Post #471956  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:53 pm 

Chelsea really could implode for the rest of the season. All is not happy in the camp. 1-0 down and down to 10 men away toWatford fresh off the back of losing 3-0 at home to Bournemouth

Post #471957  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:43 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Not that you reprobates give a damn..haha...but my Philadelphia Eagles just won the Super Bowl for the first time. :53big-emoticons: The Americanized 'World Champions'...haha...I recall the first time a Brit told me how it sounded. I had to agree it was pretty arrogant of a country to call themselves world champions in a sport only they played

Why you needed a 'Brit' to point this out I don't know.

Have to say "World Series" in baseball is a bit sounds odd as well. Since the most international US baseball is, is inclusion of what, 2-3 Canadian teams then. Otherwise nothing "world" about it.

Post #471958  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:51 pm 

Nobody wants to have to ref two southern clubs but Watford isn't London so we don't need VAR to show Mike got that one spot-on.

Post #471959  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:55 pm 

Ollies first game looks like a 4-1 defeat...............

Post #471960  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:59 pm 

Mental game at Watford. We threw it away against them, but Watford were outplayed for much of the match. Chelsea on the otherhand were outplayed from start to finish, and despite an absolute worldie from Hazard (who is totally carrying them and has been for weeks), the end scorline reflected the game pretty accurately.

Conte is toast...which is a shame as he seems a decent sort and Wenger seems to do ok against him

[ 560837 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11796, 11797, 11798, 11799, 11800, 11801, 11802 ... 14021  Next