Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:57 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 277 guests

Post #471881  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:11 am 

Mancini was useless on the pitch. Utter garbage and a good sense of humour doesn't change that. Would get into my worst ever Arsenal team alongside Gus Caesar.

Post #471882  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:19 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
One for all those older fans. Assume both players were at their peak. Who would you chose.

Terry Mancini or Callum Chambers

Willie Young or Mustafi.

Willie Young would have flattened Aguero ☺

Would have been a yellow and Aguero would have spent the rest of the match looking over his shoulder because Willie would have been behind him all game not in front.

Post #471883  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:22 am 

Bernard wrote:
Mancini was useless on the pitch. Utter garbage and a good sense of humour doesn't change that. Would get into my worst ever Arsenal team alongside Gus Caesar.

Just answer the question witness. Mancini or Chambers?

Post #471884  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:39 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

Even Chambers isn't as bad as Mancini.

Post #471885  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:43 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Out of title contention by September
Lose to Swedish farmers
Knocked out of the cup by forest
Sell our best player
Sign 2x 50 million pound strikers and destroy their confidence within weeks
Humiliated in cup final

Have I forgot anything? This season has just been an absolute disaster

Sold our best GK for £10m to a team who want him to succeed one of the greatest GKs of all time.
Play a winger at wing back against the club he joins a few days later - he helps us to a humiliating 4-0 defeat

Post #471886  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:50 am 

Pete on the beach wrote:
lomekian wrote:

I find the opposite. I think anyone who invites comments on a blog but deletes and blocks any that aren't slavish agreement when the writer loves to insult people can feck right off.

Well that’s another issue ( unless he’s changed it he used to say he’d block abusive ones which is fair enough to me)

Still the main thing is where is he wrong it what he says , save for the “fans deserve” issue?

As per Daz's comments, laying into someone, giving them abuse and telling us all how awful everything is for over a decade doesn't give someone the right to toss themselves off in a self congratulatory way when the reality evolves to set their opinions, particularly when you refuse dissenting comment.

And he may have said he blocked abusive comments, but experience taught me that for a long time he just deleted and blocked any counter argument, and became well known for it.

Also, anyone calling themselves xxx TRUTH tends to be an angry nutjob.

Post #471887  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:54 am 

Rich wrote:
If losing every game left this season meant wenger being sacked/walking away on the last day of the season would you take it?

Yes

Post #471888  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:56 am 

Pete on the beach wrote:

He needs the gig to pay his daughters school fees at rodean

Hello Pete. Does anyone have any idea what Bould gets paid?
I do have some sympathy that you and a few others actively protested against the manager, but for a variety of reasons the moment didn't catch on. However, it did bring a lot of attention to the issue, which will probably help facilitate his removal this summer. But as Arseblog wrote yesterday, who's job is it to throw the managerial towel in the ring, and surely they are culpable too? Anyway, unless he wins the Europa League I find it inconceivable that he will be the Arsenal manager next season.

Post #471889  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:59 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Even Chambers isn't as bad as Mancini.

I think his confidence is gone and he may reach the depths.

Post #471890  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:05 am 

lomekian wrote:
Goonie wrote:

For whatever reasons our players are lacking in confidence and not fighting for Wenger anymore... I don't see why a new manager can't get more out of our current squad. As things stand, we still have three slots for non-homegrown players. Add to the fact that Mertesacker and Cazorla may no longer be our players next season, an addition of 5 established players would strengthen us considerably.

Its certainly hard to see how a really good manager couldn't more out of this group of players. Just giving them a cohesive system would be a massive start. And telling some of them how to defend.....

A bog average manager could get this same team defending better.

Post #471891  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:08 am 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... pbell.html

We've been saying so for a long while already

Post #471892  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:11 am 

As much as I've found Arsenal's involvement in the Champions League boring, I could see the logic of trying to get in it, and recognised it as an achievement of sorts. However, as we increasingly struggled to qualify for it only to then crash out immediately in the knock out stages, it no longer seemed an acceptable trade off for failing to mount a title challenge. I think the brilliant FA Cup victories helped divert attention from this decline, and now we have no shiny cups to divert us from the teams gradual decay.

Post #471893  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:21 am 

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:

Our freekicks and corners were even more shite than usual yesterday :laughing7:

I recall Xhaka ballooning a corner way past the back post, I think it went out for a throw-in.

It was mind bogglingly bad. I mean a professional footballer taking a corner has a target probably 15 yards x 20 yards to get the ball in to for it to be considered an ok corner. Considering a player is usually only 35 yards away from the centre of this target and then to overhit it by some 20 yards is woeful

I remember when I was about 10 and given the corner taking responsibilities by the teacher/manager. Decent run up to give it a bit of power and somehow managed to shank the ball straight over the goal line. The mixture of 11 happy faces and 11 sad faces all looking at me as I trotted back to my LB position was pretty awkward. Not sure I ever got the chance to take another corner, at least not that day. :laughing7:

Post #471894  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:28 am 

Rich wrote:
If losing every game left this season meant wenger being sacked/walking away on the last day of the season would you take it?

In a heartbeat. And it would have the bonus that we wouldn't have to play in the Europa Cup.

Post #471895  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:28 am 

Bored wrote:
Anyway, unless he wins the Europa League I find it inconceivable that he will be the Arsenal manager next season.

Sod the Europa League, sack him anyway. Barney Ronay did an article in the Guardian yesterday and this bit from it made me laugh.

"Not that Arsenal should not sack Arsene Wenger. Probably they should sack him twice to make sure. Or best of all go back in time and sack him two years ago, bring him and sack him again now just to make the point. Arsenal's manager has clearly run his race at this club."

Post #471896  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:33 am 

Bored wrote:
Pete on the beach wrote:

He needs the gig to pay his daughters school fees at rodean

Hello Pete. Does anyone have any idea what Bould gets paid?

He's assistant manager of Arsenal football club.

He's gotta be on 500k to a million quid a year. If Wenger gets 10 surely his assistant must get one. Unless it's literally Smithers salary to Mr Burns

Not sure the school fees are a problem for him :laughing7:

Post #471897  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:36 am 

Bernard wrote:
Bored wrote:
Anyway, unless he wins the Europa League I find it inconceivable that he will be the Arsenal manager next season.

Sod the Europa League, sack him anyway. Barney Ronay did an article in the Guardian yesterday and this bit from it made me laugh.

"Not that Arsenal should not sack Arsene Wenger. Probably they should sack him twice to make sure. Or best of all go back in time and sack him two years ago, bring him and sack him again now just to make the point. Arsenal's manager has clearly run his race at this club."

Barney Ronay is very funny.
By the way, I'm not saying Wenger should stay if we somehow won the Europa league. But it wouldn't surprise me if the Arsenal board would used it as a justification to let him see out his contract.

Post #471898  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:47 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
One for all those older fans. Assume both players were at their peak. Who would you chose.

Terry Mancini or Callum Chambers

Willie Young or Mustafi.

Oi AG get of Gaz's computer................

Daft question. Obvious answer.

Post #471899  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:51 am 

Question for the forum: The Cookie Monster or Callum Chambers ?

Step forward Mr monster .....

Post #471900  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:55 am 

By the way does anybody believe those leaked reports in the papers this morning with the list of managers ? Very timely eh?

A change could be imminent!! yeah until everyone’s renewed their memberships and Wenger signs a new contract

Post #471901  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:56 am 

Yeah the Ronay article was excellent because it pins down the general malaise at the club, the atmosphere that has made so many of us turn to other smaller clubs for relief from the general ennui and lack of heart. In some cases they won't come back.

Getting rid of Wenger won't be sufficient to get rid of that malaise but it is absolutely necessary.

My rule is simply that I want us to lose any game that makes him staying more likely consequently I am very keen that we go out of the Europa Cup as soon as possible. Nothing to do with underappreciating that trophy I just want Wenger to go now more than anything else.

It is utterly pointless for people like Hoy to point out how dysfunctional and damaging it is to want your side to lose. I know that. Like many on here I have been to hundreds of games home and away, I have been at almost all the big occasions of the Graham and Wenger years. It would have been unthinkable to me only two years ago that I would feel like this. I'm not a glory hunter, it's not because we're not winning anything, because I save my passion for a mid-table championship side and follow their games with the desperate anxiety for them to win that fans should feel for their club. My son has gone right over to them and won't come back again. It is an indictment of the club (and our supine acceptance of foreign ownership which I did protest ages ago and was accused of being a racist!) that this has happened and I would suggest that anybody who continues to defend the current set-up is either stupid, not paying attention or simply doesn't care enough. That's the paradox really. The most "loyal" fans just switch off from the evidence in front of their eyes.

Post #471902  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:59 am 

Where I will blame our fans is for their idiotic taunting of the United fans during the 2005 "cup final" for the Glazer takeover that they were actively protesting at the time.

Chiickens have sure come home to roost now, you morons.

Post #471903  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:02 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
By the way does anybody believe those leaked reports in the papers this morning with the list of managers ? Very timely eh?

A change could be imminent!! yeah until everyone’s renewed their memberships and Wenger signs a new contract

I dunno I think the pressure is really building although I have thought that before.

And here we are again with speculation about it inflicting real damage on the club and him seemingly impervious to it all the only thing that matters is to carry on.

Post #471904  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:14 am 

Bored wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Barney Ronay is very funny.
By the way, I'm not saying Wenger should stay if we somehow won the Europa league. But it wouldn't surprise me if the Arsenal board would used it as a justification to let him see out his contract.

Well they won't have that opportunity. Cos there is no way we are winning the EL. There are at least 3 or 4 teams left in the comp who can destroy us. And we're playing one of them next week.

Post #471905  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:54 am 

Daz wrote:
Where I will blame our fans is for their idiotic taunting of the United fans during the 2005 "cup final" for the Glazer takeover that they were actively protesting at the time.

Chiickens have sure come home to roost now, you morons.

:laughing7: USA USA USA !!

Also that game was the symbolic end of Arsenal being a force. Vieira scored the penalty and was promptly sold in what many of our fans were describing as a "savvy" piece of transfer business by arsene (wot bollocks)

Like I said as soon as we lost our golden generation of French players Wenger lost it and couldn't evolve. He's a pretty one dimensional geezer and couldn't change. It must be the missionary position or bust with Arsene. Poor Mrs W

Post #471906  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:03 pm 

Daz wrote:
Yeah the Ronay article was excellent because it pins down the general malaise at the club, the atmosphere that has made so many of us turn to other smaller clubs for relief from the general ennui and lack of heart. In some cases they won't come back.

Getting rid of Wenger won't be sufficient to get rid of that malaise but it is absolutely necessary.

My rule is simply that I want us to lose any game that makes him staying more likely consequently I am very keen that we go out of the Europa Cup as soon as possible. Nothing to do with underappreciating that trophy I just want Wenger to go now more than anything else.

It is utterly pointless for people like Hoy to point out how dysfunctional and damaging it is to want your side to lose. I know that. Like many on here I have been to hundreds of games home and away, I have been at almost all the big occasions of the Graham and Wenger years. It would have been unthinkable to me only two years ago that I would feel like this. I'm not a glory hunter, it's not because we're not winning anything, because I save my passion for a mid-table championship side and follow their games with the desperate anxiety for them to win that fans should feel for their club. My son has gone right over to them and won't come back again. It is an indictment of the club (and our supine acceptance of foreign ownership which I did protest ages ago and was accused of being a racist!) that this has happened and I would suggest that anybody who continues to defend the current set-up is either stupid, not paying attention or simply doesn't care enough. That's the paradox really. The most "loyal" fans just switch off from the evidence in front of their eyes.

This echos me too , trouble is my “ smaller” team went and got themselves promoted to the prem :laughing7:

Post #471907  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:11 pm 

Except Wenger DID change. That marked the start of the Fabregas/skilful midget/fake Barcelona era.

Strange to think that Fabregas departed seven years ago.

Since then we haven't had much of an identity at all and that has brought us to our current point of having none at all, just buying random players partly to alleviate fan unrest and chucking them on the pitch hoping it will all lead to some kind of total football by default.

In some ways, even though both are great players the Sanchez/Özil era will be seen as a really horrible one. Sourness throughout.

The king is in the all together, the all together, the altogether...

Post #471908  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:13 pm 

Pete on the beach wrote:
This echos me too , trouble is my “ smaller” team went and got themselves promoted to the prem :laughing7:

Yeah it's a dilemma! I like the Championship and enjoy playing the old school clubs like Leeds (not so much last week) and Forest.

Don't worry, I suspect they'll be back soon.

Post #471909  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:13 pm 

https://pickle.nine.com.au/2018/02/27/1 ... as-manager

Arsenal legend calls for sacking of Arsene Wenger as manager

Former Arsenal legend Ian Wright has launched a stinging broadside at manager Arsene Wenger, saying he could not make a case for him to remain in charge after this season.

Post #471910  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:19 pm 

Pete on the beach wrote:
Daz wrote:

not much chance of Coventry being in the Prem anytime soon so no worries for me...

Post #471911  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:14 pm 

Daz wrote:
Except Wenger DID change. That marked the start of the Fabregas/skilful midget/fake Barcelona era.

Since then we haven't had much of an identity at all and that has brought us to our current point of having none at all, just buying random players partly to alleviate fan unrest and chucking them on the pitch hoping it will all lead to some kind of total football by default.

In some ways, even though both are great players the Sanchez/Özil era will be seen as a really horrible one. Sourness throughout.

I don't really consider that he changed. He signed a different class of player as our transfer policy went from proactive (Highbury) to reactive (Emirates) and the players tended to be smaller, Spanish types as that was what was available at the time of each panic buy ! He's not a tactical wizard so I don't think he decided to change style personally it was a consequence of our player acquisitions. He's not that smart actually!

Agree the Özil era will be seen as a horrid one. The Side we had with gallas, adebayor and Cesc looks like world beaters compared to the state of our team now.

Post #471912  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:19 pm 

Daz wrote:
Pete on the beach wrote:

Yeah it's a dilemma! I like the Championship and enjoy playing the old school clubs like Leeds (not so much last week) and Forest.

Don't worry, I suspect they'll be back soon.

Wouldn’t be so sure the way they’ve been playing recently , very good defence all season and been scoring goals & creating chances lately .

Unless arsenal turn in one of their increasingly rare A performances they could well Find out this on Sunday

Post #471913  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:37 pm 

If you haven’t seen the latest dave squires in the guardian https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng ... -prisoners

:laughing7:

Post #471914  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:52 pm 

warrior wrote:
https://pickle.nine.com.au/2018/02/27/12/20/arsenal-legend-ian-wright-says-arsene-wenger-must-go-as-manager

Arsenal legend calls for sacking of Arsene Wenger as manager

Former Arsenal legend Ian Wright has launched a stinging broadside at manager Arsene Wenger, saying he could not make a case for him to remain in charge after this season.

What took you Ian? Instead of slagging our efforts off last year

Post #471915  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:04 pm 

I really hope that I'm wrong. I have no expectation that Arsene will leave anytime soon.

He sees retirement as 'death'. No other club would want him. It appears to be his decision when he leaves and this has been the case for far too long now.

He must have something on someone.

Post #471916  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:19 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Daz wrote:

I don't really consider that he changed. He signed a different class of player as our transfer policy went from proactive (Highbury) to reactive (Emirates) and the players tended to be smaller, Spanish types as that was what was available at the time of each panic buy ! He's not a tactical wizard so I don't think he decided to change style personally it was a consequence of our player acquisitions. He's not that smart actually!

Agree the Özil era will be seen as a horrid one. The Side we had with gallas, adebayor and Cesc looks like world beaters compared to the state of our team now.

He absolutely changed. He was hugely influenced by the success of Spain and Barca and even said as much. Our style of play became much closer to Barca and far less direct than it had been in his Highbury years. It also has to be said that the 2008 side was a very good football team and played some really exciting and dynamic football. They were hugely unlucky that season and it is often overlooked that the two teams that finished above them contested the CL final. Both were excellent sides. After that though, the tippy tapply took over and eventually disintegrated into the mess we have now.

Post #471917  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:58 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

He absolutely changed. He was hugely influenced by the success of Spain and Barca and even said as much. Our style of play became much closer to Barca and far less direct than it had been in his Highbury years. It also has to be said that the 2008 side was a very good football team and played some really exciting and dynamic football. They were hugely unlucky that season and it is often overlooked that the two teams that finished above them contested the CL final. Both were excellent sides. After that though, the tippy tapply took over and eventually disintegrated into the mess we have now.

I just don't think Wenger is that tactically proactive to make that change. The reason our style changed was because we couldn't afford the pace and power players like Drogba and Essien who were around that time. Cue a boatload of midgets and dwarves arriving from all over the place including Spain and voila there's your new on pitch strategy !

Post #471918  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:07 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
I really hope that I'm wrong. I have no expectation that Arsene will leave anytime soon.

He sees retirement as 'death'. No other club would want him. It appears to be his decision when he leaves and this has been the case for far too long now.

He must have something on someone.

He is also on a decent pay packet.

Post #471919  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:17 pm 

Imagine having 100 million quid in the bank and thinking retirement is death. It would be the start for me not the end.

Post #471920  Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:44 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Imagine having 100 million quid in the bank and thinking retirement is death. It would be the start for me not the end.

I'd retire on half a mill no problem.

[ 559787 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11795, 11796, 11797, 11798, 11799, 11800, 11801 ... 13995  Next