Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, mcquilkie and 299 guests

Post #472401  Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:22 pm 

Good luck Granit. I have always admired his attitude. I actually think that this will be the hardest thing to replicate by any replacements.

Post #472402  Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:46 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
What's your minimum expectations for the CL?
Mine is out of the group stages and win the next tie. Lose only to an eventual finalist or semi finalist. Must be a big name.
I'd be happy if just for once we could avoid Barca or Bayern - unless in the final.

Hello omoh, we always seem to get those clubs. Maybe our luck has changed or maybe we have a side that can deal with them now. Either would be fine by me.

Post #472403  Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:47 pm 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
What's your minimum expectations for the CL?
Mine is out of the group stages and win the next tie. Lose only to an eventual finalist or semi finalist. Must be a big name.

Quarter Final should be the minimum. When I look at all the teams I can only see a handful who are on paper better than us. Where we may come unstuck is a number of players with the lack of big european game experience and in particular those 2 legged knock-out ties. We need Arteta to have a plan for them, but he's a novice at them as well.

My worry was in the past we always seemed like we got Man Utd in the league after an arduous away CL match.

Post #472404  Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:40 pm 

Well done to Arteta and Edu in getting Saliba to sign up for four years. I think Arteta has improved his man management since he started. Also recognition of the previous club scouting who identified and the people who had the guts to pay a significant sum for a developing player.

Post #472405  Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:56 pm 

Wish you the best Granit!

Post #472406  Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:59 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Well done to Arteta and Edu in getting Saliba to sign up for four years. I think Arteta has improved his man management since he started. Also recognition of the previous club scouting who identified and the people who had the guts to pay a significant sum for a developing player.

Best news for me :58big-emoticons:

Post #472407  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:01 am 

https://www.footballtransfers.com/en/tr ... -steve-kay

This one is still a head scratcher for me. Why doesn't Arteta rate him?
Will he light up the EPL and Arteta eat humble pie?

Post #472408  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:02 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Best news for me :58big-emoticons:

Yes I think he is an essential elect of our team.

Post #472409  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:24 am 

gooner7 wrote:
https://www.footballtransfers.com/en/transfer-news/uk-premier-league/2023/07/exclusive-arsenal-florian-balogun-chelsea-transfer-steve-kay

I think the issue is more that they rate him but a move is a more attractive proposition for him. He has 2 players ahead of him and I think the club and its coaches are more invested in Nketiah for some reason.

It seems an easier proposition to sell Balogun than Nketiah. His stock is high right now and they will recoup more money for him.

It’s hard because a ruthless decision is required on Eddie but the club don’t seem ready to make it yet.

Post #472410  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:24 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
https://www.footballtransfers.com/en/transfer-news/uk-premier-league/2023/07/exclusive-arsenal-florian-balogun-chelsea-transfer-steve-kay

I think the issue is more that they rate him but a move is a more attractive proposition for him. He has 2 players ahead of him and I think the club and its coaches are more invested in Nketiah for some reason.

It seems an easier proposition to sell Balogun than Nketiah. His stock is high right now and they will recoup more money for him.

It’s hard because a ruthless decision is required on Eddie but the club don’t seem ready to make it yet.

For me, Balogun over Nketiah any day.
I guess Arteta's tactics does not need a Balogun type player, more than a Nketiah type.

Post #472411  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:07 am 

Today could see us announce Rice and Timber and Saliba’s new deal

Post #472412  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:21 am 

Re: Balogun v Nketiah

I think lots of Arsenal fans like Balogun because we think he has a higher ceiling than Nketiah and we feel we’ve seen the limit of Nketiah.

I’ll try to be objective about it and put other arguments over.

Does anyone here rate Lois Openda above Nketiah? He’s a guy who also scored 21 goals in the French league last year like Balogun. And both were outscored by Lacazette.
Balogun also scored a lot of penalties, you still have to score them but they do inflate the stats a bit. He’s also completely untested in the league.

It’s an incredibly difficult decision for Arsenal to make. They made a commitment to Nketiah and Balogun has probably come on more than they imagined he would.

Balogun’s team Reims were a bottom 6 team, the job he did there would be very different to Arsenal. Obviously putting the ball in the net is the main job but a bottom 6 team don’t require one touch sharp link up play in and around the box. Most of his goals were from crosses, penalties or running in behind - he won’t get many running in behind chances for us against deep defences we play most weeks

Post #472413  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:49 am 

I am assured from facebook sites that when I wake up tomorrow morning Rice will be confirmed as will Timber.

Post #472414  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:52 am 

Rich wrote:

I think lots of Arsenal fans like Balogun because we think he has a higher ceiling than Nketiah and we feel we’ve seen the limit of Nketiah.

Does anyone here rate Lois Openda above Nketiah? He’s a guy who also scored 21 goals in the French league last year like Balogun. And both were outscored by Lacazette.
Balogun also scored a lot of penalties, you still have to score them but they do inflate the stats a bit. He’s also completely untested in the league.

It’s an incredibly difficult decision for Arsenal to make. They made a commitment to Nketiah and Balogun has probably come on more than they imagined he would.

Balogun’s team Reims were a bottom 6 team, the job he did there would be very different to Arsenal. Obviously putting the ball in the net is the main job but a bottom 6 team don’t require one touch sharp link up play in and around the box. Most of his goals were from crosses, penalties or running in behind - he won’t get many running in behind chances for us against deep defences we play most weeks

I'm a huge fan of Nketiah and I think the fans expected way too much when he had to fill in right away after losing Jesus. Considering his age, (lack of) EPL experience and the boots that had to be filled in a highly pressured environment (EPL title), he did marvelously. Things he got wrong in games are things he would normally have had to work on while playing league cup matches, FA cup matches against lower division sides and the odd 10 minutes or so when we are up 3-1 home to Bournemouth in full control of the game.

He has an innate sense of where to be for a pass or a rebound. He's fearless. He appears as if he feels he belongs and has no problem in being relied on for the game winner. He simply lacks experience and his upside is very good. Just like Willock to some extent. Arteta has to figure out if he works in our system and how or if he can't find him a good home elsewhere.

I think if Balogun comes he'll be expected to do more than what he can probably deliver. He looks more than a fine player but if he came where he would be played and how? There are all sorts of good players but they may not be right for your teams system. I think he can fit in, but he would have to be brought back and we see first hand.

Post #472415  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:05 am 

Mbappe wants to sign for us

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 71195.html

Post #472416  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:45 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

It really is silly season now....and Miguel Delaney is a decent journalist.

Post #472417  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:51 am 

Arsenal doctor Gary O’Driscoll moving to Manchester United. Expected to remain in current role for transition period before completing switch later this summer.

Post #472418  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:59 pm 

Rich wrote:

I guess nobody can be exact about Balogun's value to Arsenal until he plays regularly for the team. Every opinion made is valid.
Case in point, there were doubts about Ramsdale transfer. Teams he was with were usually relegated, etc, etc. And we know how it played out.
My gut feel is we are making a mistake in not giving him a chance at Arsenal.

Post #472419  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:01 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I guess Arteta's tactics does not need a Balogun type player, more than a Nketiah type.

I don’t think it’s tactics it’s just that the coaches and fans have blinkers on when it comes to Eddie. I think it’s because he came through the academy. He’s provided some great moments but if we decided to sell I think he would only command interest from clubs like Palace and Brentford which is telling.

We will sell balogun, keep Nketiah then realise we need a new striker next summer mark my words

Post #472420  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:06 pm 

Sounds like arteta has booted Steve round. Wonder if we might see a certain mr cazorla back at Arsenal

Post #472421  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:00 pm 

Since Arteta took over as Arsenal manager he has spent exactly the same on transfers as every Spurs manager collectively in that same time period. This is before Rice and Timber.

But worth reminding any Spurs friends you have when they throw out how much Arteta has spent.....and look at the difference in quality of the squads!

Post #472422  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:09 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Rich wrote:

I guess nobody can be exact about Balogun's value to Arsenal until he plays regularly for the team. Every opinion made is valid.
Case in point, there were doubts about Ramsdale transfer. Teams he was with were usually relegated, etc, etc. And we know how it played out.
My gut feel is we are making a mistake in not giving him a chance at Arsenal.

I agree that I'd like to see Balogun given a chance, but realistically when do we see him being given a chance apart from if someone gets injured? Every point matters if we want to win the title, so is Arteta going to throw Balogun in to start a prem game ahead of Jesus? I think as fans it is easy to say give the kid a chance but as a manager you live and die by every result.

I think I could see a situation where Balogun is sold and next summer we're moving on Nketiah and signing a new striker to compete with jesus

Post #472423  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:34 pm 

Saliba new contract officially announced by Arsenal, he'll wear the number 2 next year

Arsenal Premier League

Win percentage
With Saliba 78%
Without Saliba 46%

Goals conceded per game
With Saliba 0.9
Without Saliba 1.6

Shots conceded per game
With Saliba 8.3
Without Saliba 10.7

Post #472424  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:31 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

One of Eddie or Balogum should be loaned to a premier league side.

Post #472425  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:07 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

One of Eddie or balogun should be loaned to a premier league side.

This makes sense but Balogun has refused to go on loan and is saying play me or sell me. We won’t loan Nketiah and I doubt he would agree to it.

It basically requires us to behave ruthlessly a bit like chelsea and boot the guy we think isn’t the better player or prospect

Post #472426  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:19 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:
One of Eddie or balogun should be loaned to a premier league side.

This makes sense but Balogun has refused to go on loan and is saying play me or sell me. We won’t loan Nketiah and I doubt he would agree to it.

It basically requires us to behave ruthlessly a bit like chelsea and boot the guy we think isn’t the better player or prospect

I agree. If Eddie is prepared to play second fiddle, I guess he is the one to keep. We have other attackers who can play in the middle, most obvioiusly Trossard and Martinelli. The latter especially. great on the break and at drifting across the front line when we are trying to break teams down.

Post #472427  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:23 pm 

Rich wrote:
Saliba new contract officially announced by Arsenal, he'll wear the number 2 next year

Arsenal Premier League

Win percentage
With Saliba 78%
Without Saliba 46%

Goals conceded per game
With Saliba 0.9
Without Saliba 1.6

Shots conceded per game
With Saliba 8.3
Without Saliba 10.7

And if my memory is functioning, he got injured in a poxy Europa cup tie against moderate opposition, which we should have put to bed in the first leg, but turned into a proverbial 15 rounder which we managed to lose.

It really hurts to think about what could have been!

Post #472428  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:15 pm 

Season ticket holders fyi I’ve noticed ticket exchange is now active on my account

Has anyone’s digital pass updated to show the first fixture yet though ? Mine hasn’t

Post #472429  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:37 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Rich wrote:

Arsenal Premier League

Win percentage
With Saliba 78%
Without Saliba 46%

Goals conceded per game
With Saliba 0.9
Without Saliba 1.6

Shots conceded per game
With Saliba 8.3
Without Saliba 10.7

And if my memory is functioning, he got injured in a poxy Europa cup tie against moderate opposition, which we should have put to bed in the first leg, but turned into a proverbial 15 rounder which we managed to lose.

It really hurts to think about what could have been!

Thats a pretty solid summary of what occured.

Post #472430  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:11 am 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
The defence is going to be interesting .. … looks to be the following

White } Tomiyasu
Saliba } Timber
Gabriel} Kiwior
Zinny} Tierney

Which means surely Holding has been lined up for a move away. Seems we are very strong in defence now. However We are also being linked to Jeremie Frimpong and cancelo though which means that KT will be off.

My only concern would be defending high balls. We did look iffy a couple of times last season.

I have a feeling he’d be an option in a back 3 rather than a central pairing. Or Arteta will use him as an RB/LB in midfield.

Post #472431  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:21 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

I don’t think it’s tactics it’s just that the coaches and fans have blinkers on when it comes to Eddie. I think it’s because he came through the academy. He’s provided some great moments but if we decided to sell I think he would only command interest from clubs like Palace and Brentford which is telling.

We will sell balogun, keep Nketiah then realise we need a new striker next summer mark my words

I share your opinion

Post #472432  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:22 am 

Rich wrote:

Arsenal Premier League

Win percentage
With Saliba 78%
Without Saliba 46%

Goals conceded per game
With Saliba 0.9
Without Saliba 1.6

Shots conceded per game
With Saliba 8.3
Without Saliba 10.7

Best news for me :53big-emoticons:

Post #472433  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:28 am 

Happy to hear he's excited. I am very excited. I think he and Kai will make a huge difference in the attack.

The entire midfield will be far more capable of scoring without losing its ability to defend base on last season.

Attachments:

Post #472434  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:18 am 

This is precisely why I think selling Partey is a stupid idea

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2023/07/0 ... er-united/

Post #472435  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:37 am 

Britain is *%^@** as long as these arseholes are running it

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnso ... r-12916924

Post #472436  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:51 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

I share the opinion that everyone has said here that Balogun probably has the higher ceiling. I think that would be most fans position and I wouldn’t be surprised if the club think that too.

But they’re invested in Jesus being the starting striker, there isn’t a place up for grabs with significant minutes really.

I can absolutely see that happening, but I’m not sure Balogun is making much else an option, and fair enough from his point of view. Arsenal is an amazing club if you can get the minutes you want, but like KT it must be so difficult if you’re effectively frozen out.

Eddie will probably get 6/7 games worth of minutes over the season. Balogun wanting to leave makes sense. Going to Chelsea however is not exactly guaranteed minutes, but they might be the only buyers.

Post #472437  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:04 am 

Ash wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I share the opinion that everyone has said here that Balogun probably has the higher ceiling. I think that would be most fans position and I wouldn’t be surprised if the club think that too.

But they’re invested in Jesus being the starting striker, there isn’t a place up for grabs with significant minutes really.

I can absolutely see that happening, but I’m not sure Balogun is making much else an option, and fair enough from his point of view. Arsenal is an amazing club if you can get the minutes you want, but like KT it must be so difficult if you’re effectively frozen out.

Eddie will probably get 6/7 games worth of minutes over the season. Balogun wanting to leave makes sense. Going to Chelsea however is not exactly guaranteed minutes, but they might be the only buyers.

If we hope to compete in 4 competitions any back up striker will get plenty of minutes and I kind of think that’s the issue.

I think Ray makes a point here, you need firepower and goal scorers off the bench we just don’t have that and next season we will be reliant on our wide players and Ødegaard again to bring the goal threat.

https://metro.co.uk/2023/07/05/arsenal- ... -19070505/

Post #472438  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:39 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Ash wrote:

If we hope to compete in 4 competitions any back up striker will get plenty of minutes and I kind of think that’s the issue.

I think Ray makes a point here, you need firepower and goal scorers off the bench we just don’t have that and next season we will be reliant on our wide players and Ødegaard again to bring the goal threat.

https://metro.co.uk/2023/07/05/arsenal- ... -19070505/

Yeah I probably should have said 6/7 games Worth of minutes guaranteed. But that’s all it is. I can see someone who wants to play as much as possibly at this point in their careers backing themselves and going somewhere else to make that 30+ games worth of minutes guaranteed.

Post #472439  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:24 am 

Are goals that big problem for us? Our 88 in league last season was a massive improvement on the season before (61). Looking back over the last decade of The Premiership our total of 88 has only been bettered by City (six times) and Liverpool twice. Getting to City's pretty regular 90+ level is a leap but not impossible.

Post #472440  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:51 am 

Just saw something interesting on twatter

Elliot Richardson suggesting he has a hunch Arsenal and city are going to do a player swap this summer.

Then leads to a load of speculation what players would be involved with the common suggestion being for some reason we would swap KT for Laporte.

Other potential suggestions would be cancelo for them and balogun and partey for us.

I’m not sure why we would want Laporte at all to be honest and cancelo would make sense

[ 481528 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11808, 11809, 11810, 11811, 11812, 11813, 11814 ... 12039  Next