Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 277 guests

Post #500281  Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:23 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I think there is at least one who has never revealed she’s female.

Want to give us a clue Bern or is it moderator/member privilege

Is it Daz?

Post #500282  Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:35 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Sorry I can’t. It’s for her to decide and if she wants to keep it quiet, that’s her right. It isn’t Daz though.

Post #500283  Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:41 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Andy Green wrote:

Sorry I can’t. It’s for her to decide and if she wants to keep it quiet, that’s her right. It isn’t Daz though.

Fair play . Stay safe Bernard.

Post #500284  Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:54 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I don’t, but Cummings does. If you choose to love these people that’s up to you but they are utter wrong uns
“herd immunity” is precisely that?

Look forward to your non response of this post

What makes you say I am a lover of Cummings? Pure conjecture on your part.
I do think your language is unduly dramatic though. Over the top. I agree, as does everybody else (including the government), that the herd immunity idea was a bad idea - but to describe it as genocidal is absurd.
For genocide think of the Armenians, the Jews, the Tutsi.

I’ll repeat

Genocide stands for the deliberate killing of a large group of people.

Disagree that “herd immunity” is precisely that? (It kills 1-3%)

Yes or no

Post #500285  Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:25 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
What makes you say I am a lover of Cummings? Pure conjecture on your part.
I do think your language is unduly dramatic though. Over the top. I agree, as does everybody else (including the government), that the herd immunity idea was a bad idea - but to describe it as genocidal is absurd.
For genocide think of the Armenians, the Jews, the Tutsi.

I’ll repeat

Yes or no

No Top Gun. Genocide is a ridiculous and over the top word to use in this context.
Being always right, however, I'm sure you'll disagree.

Post #500286  Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:32 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
I’ll repeat

Yes or no

No Top Gun. Genocide is a ridiculous and over the top word to use in this context.

It’s a willing decision to kill 3 percent of the population

There are 66 million living in the UK. Your wrong,admit it

Post #500287  Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:33 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Kiwipete, presumably.......

Post #500288  Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:51 pm 

dec wrote:
Andy Green wrote:

Hello Dec. I am sure some of the less salubrious members of the forum would compile a list of runners and riders with appropriate odds....for example

‘Female forum member odds...

Chocolate Gooner 7/4
US Martin 9/4
Harlow 7/2

Etc...

Post #500289  Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:23 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Andy Green wrote:

You sure? Daz sometimes goes by the name Daphne.

Post #500290  Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:24 pm 

dec wrote:
Andy Green wrote:

Kiwi Pet...

Post #500291  Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:35 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Yes or no

Yes, that is completely wrong. Herd immunity is about having enough people eventually catch the disease that the spread slows down significantly. The trick is making sure not too many people catch it at once so the health care system can handle it and everyone can get proper treatment, thus minimizing the death toll.

This is what a lot of countries are going for, including all of Scandinavia. We're not all practicing genocide.

Post #500292  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:24 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Now that Hazuki has eloquently explained it in the post above this one, I look forward to your retraction.

Post #500293  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:33 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Now that Hazuki has eloquently explained it in the post above this one, I look forward to your retraction.

Well there’s been no retraction of his claim that 90% of the people stockpiling are those who supported Brexit, so I wouldn’t bet any money on there being a retraction on this issue Bromley. Indeed, wasn’t there an attempted justification for that claim based on leave voters lacking a sense of community and wanting to live in isolation?

I didn’t respond but I would suggest you mainly get community spirit in villages and maybe very small towns. But in larger towns and cities where I imagine the huge majority of people live, I think the idea of community spirit is basically pie in the sky. Supermarket shelves were empty for a period across the country, so one has to assume in areas where there was a remain majority as well as areas there was a leave majority.

The idea that the empty shelves in remain areas were that way because 90% of the minority of leave voters in the locality were doing so much of the panic buying is, to use your term from yesterday about his claim, frankly ridiculous.

Post #500294  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:15 am 

Bernard wrote:
Andy Green wrote:

No, she doesn't post here these days.

Post #500295  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:16 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

He’s wrong too then as he's referring to Scandinavia not the UK

a very rough estimate suggests that we will only reach herd immunity to Covid-19 when approximately 60% of the population is immune (and remember that immunity is currently only reached by getting the infection as we have no vaccine!). The major downside is that this will mean that in the UK alone at least 36 million people will need to be infected and recover. It is almost impossible to predict what that will mean in terms of human costs but we are conservatively looking at 10,000s deaths, and possibly at 100,000s of death

At that point you are making a policy decision to kill thousands in the uk without a single attempt to save lives. Pretty much the definition of genocide

Post #500296  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:17 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
dec wrote:
Kiwi Pet...

:laughing7:
Also scarce.

Post #500297  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:14 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Hi Soc

I think the only strategy any country could adopt was to try and isolate to buy time to prepare and get the right equipment. If you look at the Chinese curve they definitely seem to have got it right and are under more control now

The problem was the government pursued its own populist genocidal strategy because of Cummings and the money lobby ..

https://twitter.com/marieannuk/status/1 ... 87618?s=21

When Gary Neville makes more sense than the government you have REAL problems

You love the nazi-related lingo don't you TG. First we had eugenics, now we've got 'genocidal'. :20hospitals:

Why is there always one vile poster on the forum, a troll amongst trolls.

TG you really are a sick fucka......................

Post #500298  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:16 am 

bubblechris wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
You love the nazi-related lingo don't you TG. First we had eugenics, now we've got 'genocidal'. :20hospitals:

Why is there always one vile poster on the forum, a troll amongst trolls.

TG you really are a sick fucka......................

Just being factual.

Your some rotten old Alf garnet type. All you know is hate and misery

Post #500299  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:17 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

a very rough estimate suggests that we will only reach herd immunity to Covid-19 when approximately 60% of the population is immune (and remember that immunity is currently only reached by getting the infection as we have no vaccine!). The major downside is that this will mean that in the UK alone at least 36 million people will need to be infected and recover. It is almost impossible to predict what that will mean in terms of human costs but we are conservatively looking at 10,000s deaths, and possibly at 100,000s of death

At that point you are making a policy decision to kill thousands in the uk without a single attempt to save lives. Pretty much the definition of genocide

Genocide is "the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular nation or ethnic group". As with murder, I think you have to show intent. i.e. killing, with malice aforethought, is the point.

The point of targeting herd immunity is to protect the population, including the elderly and vulnerable. Not enforcing lockdown is bad, maybe even criminally negligent, policy.

Unless however the purpose is to wipe out certain groups, it is not genocide. When deaths are an unintended, even if foreseen and negligent, side effect, it is not genocide.

What you are talking about is probably better defined as "structural violence" which is far more insidious and probably far more deadly than genocide in terms of numbers of people who die.

Post #500300  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:21 am 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Genocide is "the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular nation or ethnic group". As with murder, I think you have to show intent. i.e. killing, with malice aforethought, is the point.

The point of targeting herd immunity is to protect the population, including the elderly and vulnerable. Not enforcing lockdown is bad, maybe even criminally negligent, policy.

Unless the purpose is to wipe out certain groups, it is not genocide. When deaths are an unintended, even if foreseen and negligent, side effect, it is not genocide.

The deliberate killing of a large group of people.

So if you factually know it kills 3% of a certain demographic (typical old
Or people with repository issues) it’s genocide

Not as we traditionally associate it. For example nazi death camps etc but it’s a genocide policy

Post #500301  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:35 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Unless the purpose is to wipe out certain groups, it is not genocide. When deaths are an unintended, even if foreseen and negligent, side effect, it is not genocide.

The deliberate killing of a large group of people.

So if you factually know it kills 3% of a certain demographic (typical old
Or people with repository issues) it’s genocide

Not as we traditionally associate it. For example nazi death camps etc but it’s a genocide policy

Its structural violence (edited my last post). Genocide has a much more specific meaning.

Post #500302  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:54 am 

Vile poster.............................

Post #500303  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:55 am 

Keir Starmer elected Labour leader......................

At last an opposition party can get to work.

Post #500304  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:02 am 

Great speech on Twitter. Let's hope he keeps to his offer to support the Government whildt still opposing it politically but not just for the sake of opposing evrything ecause they are the opposition. Something one of our forum member needs to do...............

Post #500305  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:02 am 

This site is now reporting data on tests per million people. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I don't know how accurate these are but interesting none the less.

SA: 898 (tests per million people)
UK: 2,500
France: 3,436
Sweden: 3,654
USA: 4,097
Ireland: 6,119
NZ: 6,867
Germany: 10,962
Australia: 11,203
Switzerland: 16,844
Norway: 18,812

Post #500306  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:06 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Vile poster.............................

Actually, TG isn't vile (assuming you are referring to him). He does resort to insults and hyperbole rather too easily. But so do you buddy. In spades.

Post #500307  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:16 am 

Let's agree to disagree..............

Irresponsible of Sky News to show clips of Keir Starmer being congratulated and old clips with hugging nand hand shakes.

This will give many the idea that it is ok to do the same.............

Post #500308  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:20 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Breaking news: forum reels in shock as Top Gun reveals he's right and everyone else is wrong.

Post #500309  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:25 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Breaking news: forum reels in shock as Top Gun reveals he's right and everyone else is wrong.

No need to get wound up about it.

Post #500310  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:11 pm 

My two pence worth.

Genocide is a very specific word with specific meaning that in no way covers any action which could result in the deaths of *only* 1-3% of the population, and then at random. I think it's very wrong to use such a powerful and specific word so wrongly.

I also don't think that the current HMG policy could be described as eugenics either because there's no specificity to who catches this/dies from it. Also with the elderly being both the most at risk and the most likely to vote Tory it would be a ridiculous concept to pursue.

But, and it is a big but, we have a government led by people who do believe in eugenics. People who do believe that their genes make them superior. People who do believe that there is an underclass which has no productive use to the economy. People who look down on those who didn't have the advantages they had and see them as lesser.

Have these beliefs influenced (and led to) to the current situation? Absolutely. The callous disregard for the number of deaths that current policy will cause is an obvious result of that. But underlying beliefs leading to a situation is not the same as practicing an actual policy.

What we're seeing now could be better described as the clearest example of the continuation of the anarcho-capitalism we've endured for a decade. A decision was made to support the economy over the population. Also political decisions were made to not take the advantages of supply offered by the EU at any cost. Any cost. Herd immunity was a stupid idea from the start as this type of policy has only ever worked in conjunction with a vacine - ironically they gave the examples of polio and smallpox to illustrate how herd immunity works. Taken down to basics the policy was to let the virus run through the country in the shortest possible time regardless of the deaths this would cause. In fact this policy was encouraged by government actually saying people should go out an catch it! Cheltenham was allowed to go ahead when it was obviously a terrible idea (and you don't need hindsight for that) with government advice saying it was fine. LTG (I believe) said he wouldn't have gone there, and neither would I, but people were being advised by a government they trust (!) that it wasn't a problem. People were actually being told to go out and catch it like a '70s chicken pox party. The one break we had in this was actually Arteta testing positive and that leading to football being cancelled because otherwise upwards of a million people would have gone to football that weekend, not to mention all the people that are around football matches. The number of vectors that would have created would have been horrific.

So for me, whilst this policy is proposed and supported by eugenisists, and influenced by that belief, I don't see how it could specifically be called a eugenic policy as there is no precision to it which is at the core of eugenics.

Post #500311  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:29 pm 

You know how every local pub has a person in it who whilst being harmless no one wants to get caught in a corner with. I'm bloody missing him (and no looking in a mirror won't help, Pete).

Post #500312  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:43 pm 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
My two pence worth.

Genocide is a very specific word with specific meaning that in no way covers any action which could result in the deaths of *only* 1-3% of the population, and then at random. I think it's very wrong to use such a powerful and specific word so wrongly.

I also don't think that the current HMG policy could be described as eugenics either because there's no specificity to who catches this/dies from it. Also with the elderly being both the most at risk and the most likely to vote Tory it would be a ridiculous concept to pursue.

But, and it is a big but, we have a government led by people who do believe in eugenics. People who do believe that their genes make them superior. People who do believe that there is an underclass which has no productive use to the economy. People who look down on those who didn't have the advantages they had and see them as lesser.

Have these beliefs influenced (and led to) to the current situation? Absolutely. The callous disregard for the number of deaths that current policy will cause is an obvious result of that. But underlying beliefs leading to a situation is not the same as practicing an actual policy.

What we're seeing now could be better described as the clearest example of the continuation of the anarcho-capitalism we've endured for a decade. A decision was made to support the economy over the population. Also political decisions were made to not take the advantages of supply offered by the EU at any cost. Any cost. Herd immunity was a stupid idea from the start as this type of policy has only ever worked in conjunction with a vacine - ironically they gave the examples of polio and smallpox to illustrate how herd immunity works. Taken down to basics the policy was to let the virus run through the country in the shortest possible time regardless of the deaths this would cause. In fact this policy was encouraged by government actually saying people should go out an catch it! Cheltenham was allowed to go ahead when it was obviously a terrible idea (and you don't need hindsight for that) with government advice saying it was fine. LTG (I believe) said he wouldn't have gone there, and neither would I, but people were being advised by a government they trust (!) that it wasn't a problem. People were actually being told to go out and catch it like a '70s chicken pox party. The one break we had in this was actually Arteta testing positive and that leading to football being cancelled because otherwise upwards of a million people would have gone to football that weekend, not to mention all the people that are around football matches. The number of vectors that would have created would have been horrific.

So for me, whilst this policy is proposed and supported by eugenisists, and influenced by that belief, I don't see how it could specifically be called a eugenic policy as there is no precision to it which is at the core of eugenics.

A decent take

We will agree to disagree on the genocide comments. Genocide isn’t defined by the size of percentage it’s simply the deliberate killing of a large group of people. I can understand why people think the initial decision was that. When the “herd immunity” policy was announced “Tory genocide” was trending on twitter. Many were horrified and as I said a European newspaper ran a headline saying Britain had chose death and labelled Johnson the most dangerous political leader in the world because he didn’t care the life of his countrymen or women.

On the comments on eugenics I agree. It’s definitely not that but you can see that type of thinking etched into the initial decision to let it run rife to preserve the economy.

What I would also add is that bizarrely Matt Hancock whilst being a complete oddball is something of a national hero. If he hadn’t got together with imperial college London to produce the necessary evidence of the damage the initial policy would have done and presented it to Cummings and Johnson many many more lives would have been lost.

Post #500313  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:53 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

We will agree to disagree on the genocide comments. Genocide isn’t defined by the size of percentage it’s simply the deliberate killing of a large group of people.

Last word on this from me. I think the word you maybe should be using is massacre. Genocide is the mass extermination of a specific group and was specifically coined to describe the atrocities of the Nazi party and give a name to what Churchill had called 'a crime without a name' (think that quote is right). For me to use it in this case is a devaluation of what the word really means and just plain wrong.

Post #500314  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:01 pm 

That’s fine and all that but it was a strategy that did kill a specific group of people, ie older and those with respiratory issues. It’s at the heart of Cummings decision, if this was killing middle aged working taxpayers mercilessly and leaving older folks fine I doubt they would have came up with the same strategy.

Post #500315  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:52 pm 

On 30 March, NHS England reported 159 deaths in the 24 hours to 5pm on Sunday 29 March. However, the actual number of people who died in that 24-hour period was revised up to 401 in Thursday’s report and again to 463 on Friday as more deaths which occurred on that date were reported. And this figure could be revised up again as more deaths come to light.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... are_btn_tw

Post #500316  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:27 pm 

How about each PL side gets its best online video player and we play out the rest of the season on football manager or whatever online platform we choose and hash it out that way? :1laughter:

Post #500317  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:30 pm 

Bernard, John1, Dec and everyone else who posted their personal circumstances this week, I hope all goes well in the coming weeks.

Post #500318  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:39 pm 

Thanks Niall.

Post #500319  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:25 pm 

A strategy for “herd immunity” isn’t genocide, nor is it happening, why are you talking about it???

Every poster who is criticising or supporting this govt has done so in every mention of them they’ve ever made, and if the other lot were in vice versa the same same thing would be happening. So why do you think anything you’re saying carries any weight? Politics is sectarian and reveals itself as such when people think they’re making objective points supported by facts, when they’re actually finding facts to support their emotional decision. Case in point, this forum.

Post #500320  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:49 pm 

Ash wrote:
A strategy for “herd immunity” isn’t genocide, nor is it happening, why are you talking about it???

Every poster who is criticising or supporting this govt has done so in every mention of them they’ve ever made, and if the other lot were in vice versa the same same thing would be happening. So why do you think anything you’re saying carries any weight? Politics is sectarian and reveals itself as such when people think they’re making objective points supported by facts, when they’re actually finding facts to support their emotional decision. Case in point, this forum.

Your essentially saying people cant be subjective ?

This is incorrect. I hate the current government but think Matt Hancock has been very good,

Unless your brain has been totally washed like the forum imbecile some people are capable of a viewpoint without being tribal.

exileds post for example, he’s being subjective. That’s not some
View he’s forcing himself to find. He’s not been listening to an echo chamber it’s just what he thinks.

[ 560837 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12505, 12506, 12507, 12508, 12509, 12510, 12511 ... 14021  Next