Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:01 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, Decaf, mcquilkie and 277 guests

Post #498761  Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:43 pm 

Liverpool fans moaning about a lot of decisions against them today. The handball not given on Gabriel I think is a legitimate claim. I’d be angry not to get it, so it’s nice to get that one in a big game. The penalty for us I’m sure they will say is soft but if it isn’t given I think it gets given on var, if you don’t win the ball and you kick the player you’re going to concede a penalty.

And these need to happen for plenty more games to make up for the decisions Liverpool have had against us in recent times.

Post #498762  Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:49 pm 

Rich wrote:
Quite a few big games coming up for our rivals in the coming weeks.

Liverpool v City next weekend, Man U also play Newcastle which will be tough.
Then it’s Man U v Spurs…
Chelsea v Man U
Spurs v Newcastle

In that time we play Leeds away, Southampton away and Forest at home with our game v City being postponed.

Top at Christmas.?

That would be nice

Post #498763  Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:57 pm 

And to put an argument back against anyone suggesting we were lucky today…..Liverpools xG, expected goals today was the lowest in any Prem game since Klopp took over.
So to put it more simply Arsenal restricted Liverpool to very few and very low probability chances today, more than any side for 7 years. That Liverpool scored 2 is more down to the excellent finishing - particularly the Firminho strike.
XG was 3.03 v 0.87

Post #498764  Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:59 pm 

Arsenal have now played more ‘big 6’ sides than any of the other ‘big 6’ this season and we’re still top. So much for that easy start. Next excuse please…

Post #498765  Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:14 pm 

Klopp was asked in his interview why the ref came over to speak to both managers. He said he was unable to say why but it’s apparently because a Liverpool player allegedly made a racist comment towards Gabriel. The footage is very accessible on social media.

Wow this will run and run

Post #498766  Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:18 pm 

Now breaking news

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... a-28194338

Post #498767  Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:15 pm 

Rich wrote:
Quite a few big games coming up for our rivals in the coming weeks.

Liverpool v City next weekend, Man U also play Newcastle which will be tough.
Then it’s Man U v Spurs…
Chelsea v Man U
Spurs v Newcastle

In that time we play Leeds away, Southampton away and Forest at home with our game v City being postponed.

These are the games Arteta needs to remind the team to stop pussy footing (if they would). We will be psychologically knackered should we lose to any of them. Learn from last season's lessons. That said, i have lots of faith in this team to go on and get the 9 points.

Post #498768  Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:16 pm 

Rich wrote:
Liverpool fans moaning about a lot of decisions against them today. The handball not given on Gabriel I think is a legitimate claim. I’d be angry not to get it, so it’s nice to get that one in a big game. The penalty for us I’m sure they will say is soft but if it isn’t given I think it gets given on var, if you don’t win the ball and you kick the player you’re going to concede a penalty.

And these need to happen for plenty more games to make up for the decisions Liverpool have had against us in recent times.

Good that they are moaning, about time for them to taste the medicine.

Post #498769  Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:56 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Am I the only one who's feeling mentally knackered?

No :laughing7:

Me too ……and I would think that the team are too….calls into context this Thursdays game with Leeds then up on the Sunday….I know a win at Bodo would put us on 9 points and pretty much odds on to qualify but I’d give some of these guys a break from traveling………I’d hate to lose this wonderful momentum

Agree with all those who are restrained from immediately celebrating a goal because of VAR….me too.

Post #498770  Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:15 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
No :laughing7:

Me too ……and I would think that the team are too….calls into context this Thursdays game with Leeds then up on the Sunday….I know a win at Bodo would put us on 9 points and pretty much odds on to qualify but I’d give some of these guys a break from traveling………I’d hate to lose this wonderful momentum

Agree with all those who are restrained from immediately celebrating a goal because of VAR….me too.

It’s a rare goal that doesn’t have a close-ish offside call or no contact that could be called as a foul in the build up.

Feels like most goals nowadays I don’t believe what I’m seeing until VAR allows me to feel joy. By then it feels weird.

Post #498771  Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:18 pm 

Those hoping Liverpool might deprive City of full points next weekend might be disappointed seeing as we’ve *%^@** their season with that win. Crushing defeat, Diaz out injured, AA out also, and not to make light of it at all, but if any of their players have said anything racist that, as it should be - *%^@ right off with that - will be a long ban.

Post #498772  Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:56 pm 

Rich wrote:
Weird that Nunez baited the Arsenal fans with the crying celebration. I’m not against a bit of baiting of the home crowd but do it in better circumstances and make sure you win the game otherwise you look a fool

Yeah I saw that on MOTD, I was a bit confused, was thinking was that for us? It wasn’t even to put them ahead…

Post #498773  Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:32 pm 

Rich wrote:
XG was 3.03 v 0.87

Hi Rich. The expected goals given on MOTD2 was 2.99 v 1.13. What was the source for your expected goals of 3.03 v 0.87? The difference between the BBC and your source is 0.04 fewer goals for Arsenal and 0.26 more goals for Liverpool.

I do tend to trust the BBC’s reporting of sport, with MOTD obviously being a BBC programme.

Post #498774  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:05 am 

Ash wrote:
Rich wrote:
Weird that Nunez baited the Arsenal fans with the crying celebration. I’m not against a bit of baiting of the home crowd but do it in better circumstances and make sure you win the game otherwise you look a fool

Yeah I saw that on MOTD, I was a bit confused, was thinking was that for us? It wasn’t even to put them ahead…

Must admit I didn’t notice it at the game or on MOTD2. What did he do with a crying celebration and what’s the relevance of it to bait Arsenal fans?

Post #498775  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:15 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

When asked about the incident later, Arteta stated 'what happens on the pitch, stays on the pitch'.

Post #498776  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:57 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
XG was 3.03 v 0.87

Hi Rich. The expected goals given on MOTD2 was 2.99 v 1.13. What was the source for your expected goals of 3.03 v 0.87? The difference between the BBC and your source is 0.04 fewer goals for Arsenal and 0.26 more goals for Liverpool.

I do tend to trust the BBC’s reporting of sport, with MOTD obviously being a BBC programme.

I follow a Twitter profile called xG or something like that. They post the xG after every game. Completely understand other statisticians May get slightly different numbers.
For us the penalty has an xG of 0.79-0.8 ie a penalty is scored 79-80% of the time. Saka’s goal must have had a pretty high xG and Martinelli’s as a 1v1 would have been quite high.

One thing I’m not sure of is whether the near Saliba og that Ramsdale saved counts towards Liverpool’s total. I don’t think it does. I can’t think of many really good chances Liverpool had. Firminho’s goal was an excellent finish, I reckon the xG on that chance might have only been around 0.15

Post #498777  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:58 am 

Bernard wrote:
Ash wrote:

Must admit I didn’t notice it at the game or on MOTD2. What did he do with a crying celebration and what’s the relevance of it to bait Arsenal fans?

I think that’s the point, I have no idea why he did it to the Arsenal fans.

We hadn’t been on his back up until then, he has no history with us, but he very clearly did it to the Arsenal fans at that end.

Post #498778  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:02 am 

Ash wrote:
Andy Green wrote:

It’s a rare goal that doesn’t have a close-ish offside call or no contact that could be called as a foul in the build up.

Feels like most goals nowadays I don’t believe what I’m seeing until VAR allows me to feel joy. By then it feels weird.

I saw someone say they like direct free kick goals because it’s one of the few goals where var really can’t have any impact. Maybe scoring a penalty now as well because I think encroachment isnt actually punished for the attacking team as long as that player doesn’t pick up the rebound

Post #498779  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:07 am 

I think what’s happening this season together with what happened in the first full covid season is the reason this Liverpool side can’t ever go down as one of the prem greatest teams. Also the fact they’ve only won one title. The very best teams might not win the title every year but they never fell away as badly as Liverpool have where they’ve tanked 2 seasons.
Liverpool are paying the price for not freshening up the squad.

Post #498780  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:34 am 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

We hadn’t been on his back up until then, he has no history with us, but he very clearly did it to the Arsenal fans at that end.

Morning Rich. But what did he actually do and why was it baiting Arsenal fans? I thought you meant his goal celebration when I first read your post on it after watching MOTD2. But by saying “he very clearly did it to the Arsenal fans at the end” was it now the final whistle too?

I watched MOTD2 but didn’t record it so won’t watch it again. If he pretended to cry rubbing his hands against his eyes, why is that baiting Arsenal fans? Has his partner had a baby quite recently and could it be linked to that? As you say he has no history with Arsenal fans.

So what did he actually do because at the game and watching his goal celebration or behaviour at the final whistle, I didn’t notice anything that represented baiting Arsenal fans. Indeed, from what I could see on MOTD2, he was congratulating Arsenal players when the game finished.

Post #498781  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:40 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Commentators couldn’t help themselves. Just had to mention the Euro final.

Well done Saka for sticking it to all those sort of people.

They did? F*ck him. :8angers:

I think it would have been pretty weird for the commentators not to mention the Euro final - especially as Saka steps up to take a penalty in a really big game a year or so later.

Post #498782  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:55 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
I think it would have been pretty weird for the commentators not to mention the Euro final - especially as Saka steps up to take a penalty in a really big game a year or so later.

So far, am I right in saying for Arsenal the only three penalties Saka has taken have been against Chelsea, Manchester United and now Liverpool and he’s scored them all? Or have I forgotten any others, which is entirely feasible? Anyway, I have no recollection of him missing a penalty for Arsenal. So far at least.

I’m sure it will happen sooner or later as the best penalty takers in English football I can remember have been Shearer, Gerrard and Kane and they all missed occasionally. I think I’m right that even Matt Le Tissier missed one in his career?

After Saka missed that one in the Euro final shootout, I think you’re right that it’s understandable for commentators to mention it as it wasn’t that long ago.

Post #498783  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:30 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Morning Rich. But what did he actually do and why was it baiting Arsenal fans? I thought you meant his goal celebration when I first read your post on it after watching MOTD2. But by saying “he very clearly did it to the Arsenal fans at the end” was it now the final whistle too?

I watched MOTD2 but didn’t record it so won’t watch it again. If he pretended to cry rubbing his hands against his eyes, why is that baiting Arsenal fans? Has his partner had a baby quite recently and could it be linked to that? As you say he has no history with Arsenal fans.

So what did he actually do because at the game and watching his goal celebration or behaviour at the final whistle, I didn’t notice anything that represented baiting Arsenal fans. Indeed, from what I could see on MOTD2, he was congratulating Arsenal players when the game finished.

I said Nunez did it to the Arsenal fans at ‘that’ end, rather than ‘the’ end. Meaning the Liverpool fans were at the other end of the pitch and he ran past the Arsenal fans looking at them and rubbing his eyes with both hands in a faux baby crying way. It’s a famous Mbappe celebration.

I read it as baiting because he was looking at the Arsenal fans and it was also described that way by Glenn Murray on bbc. I read it the same as a player filing his ear or doing a shushing gesture to the home fans.

I only mentioned it because it seemed odd because of the lack of antagonism before or during the game and that it wasn’t a decisive goal or moment

Post #498784  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:44 am 

It was noticeable after Liverpool made it 2-2 I don't think they had a single shot, we pretty much snuffed them out in the second half. We weren't quite on it in the first half but the second half was superb. I saw a report that said at that point both teams looked exactly what they are, one a young vibrant energetic team the other a tired, ageing out of form and low on confidence team.

Post #498785  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:48 am 

Zed wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

When asked about the incident later, Arteta stated 'what happens on the pitch, stays on the pitch'.

Good man Arteta.

Post #498786  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:50 am 

Very good wins for both Spurs and Man U this week. I'd take both of their results for us in a heartbeat this season. If chelsea and Man U win their game in hand there is only 6 points separating the top 5. Far too early to think about this as a two horse title race and still too early to think we've got a top 4 place in our hands. We need a few more draws when these teams play each other

Post #498787  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:01 am 

The league table makes excellent reading however our lead isn’t really that big. What 5 points probably between 5th ? Feels like our form has been superb but we’re only slightly ahead. There’s no margin for error. To win this league you need to be ruthless killers.

This league is unforgiving right ? A few bad injuries and you are screwed and drop down the league. Klopp must be cursing his luck

I suppose the positive for us is that we have navigated 3 difficult games now and have some easier fixtures on paper now

Post #498788  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:17 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Its an odd celebration, but I can't see any reason to get worked up about it.

Having said that, I hope our players don't do that sort of thing. Rather get criticised for showing too much enthusiasm after scoring!

Post #498789  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:25 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
The league table makes excellent reading however our lead isn’t really that big. What 5 points probably between 5th ?

Thats my take as well. A dream start to the season which I am enjoying immensely, but sobering to think we are 2 games away from being in 5th place. I thought Liverpool would get a result against us so i'm delighted we got all three points. Martinelli was practically unplayable and big up to Tommy who I dont think made a mistake in the whole match.

Post #498790  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:37 am 

Bored wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
The league table makes excellent reading however our lead isn’t really that big. What 5 points probably between 5th ?

Thats my take as well. A dream start to the season which I am enjoying immensely, but sobering to think we are 2 games away from being in 5th place.

It’s just kind of relentless. It’s no longer a marathon but a 9 month sprint.

You are competing with city who have teams mentally beat in the tunnel. I fancy us againest them but kind of agree with Danny Murphys comments that we will come unstuck when we have to rely on our squad.

Maybe if we can stay top until the World Cup starts we can regroup and bring in a new player or 2 in January.

Regardless we have done superbly well and I’m proud of the side

Post #498791  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:37 am 

https://www.football365.com/news/klopp- ... nal-oliver

Haha, Klopp accusing another manager of trying to influence a referee.....love it

Post #498792  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:38 am 

And Tomiyasu has to play. Hes simply too good to be out of the side. When he plays our defence looks more solid and we look more dynamic

Difficult choices have to be made there.

Post #498793  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:47 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
This league is unforgiving right ? A few bad injuries and you are screwed and drop down the league. Klopp must be cursing his luck

Has Klopp had it that bad though? Robertson missing 2 games, Matip missing 4 games, Thiago missing 5 games and Jota missing 5 games. But ever present availability from Allison, VvD, Trent, Fabinho, Salah, Diaz, Henderson, Milner, Firminho and Nunez if he didn't get himself suspended.

Injuries to squad players like Ox and Keita, but as we were told many times there only so long you can curse your luck with injuries until you have to admit you've filled your squad with injury prone players - Ox, Keita, Thiago, Matip are all in that category.

Liverpool's bigger problem is swathes of their team massively out of form rather than injuries. Trent, VvD, Salah have all been miles below their level and age is catching up with others.

I posted a few times a while ago about Salah/Mané/Firminho all being the same age, getting near 30 and all having their contract run out at the same time, then you add in Henderson, Milner, VvD, Thiago, Matip all over 30. Klopp has tried to freshen things up but the guys coming in are not quite at the level of those they're trying to replace. It feels like this team has had its cycle and has certainly lost its fear factor

Post #498794  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:22 am 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Has Klopp had it that bad though? Robertson missing 2 games, Matip missing 4 games, Thiago missing 5 games and Jota missing 5 games. But ever present availability from Allison, VvD, Trent, Fabinho, Salah, Diaz, Henderson, Milner, Firminho and Nunez if he didn't get himself suspended.

Injuries to squad players like Ox and Keita, but as we were told many times there only so long you can curse your luck with injuries until you have to admit you've filled your squad with injury prone players - Ox, Keita, Thiago, Matip are all in that category.

Liverpool's bigger problem is swathes of their team massively out of form rather than injuries. Trent, VvD, Salah have all been miles below their level and age is catching up with others.

I posted a few times a while ago about Salah/Mané/Firminho all being the same age, getting near 30 and all having their contract run out at the same time, then you add in Henderson, Milner, VvD, Thiago, Matip all over 30. Klopp has tried to freshen things up but the guys coming in are not quite at the level of those they're trying to replace. It feels like this team has had its cycle and has certainly lost its fear factor

I think you are right about the specific squad issue, but I think you are underrating Liverpool's achievements under Klopp. They were really unlucky to peak at a time when City were so dominant. Had the UAE money gone elsewhere, they would have been utterly dominant in England in the last few years, and probably would have picked up another CL.

Post #498795  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:25 am 

Rich wrote:
I think what’s happening this season together with what happened in the first full covid season is the reason this Liverpool side can’t ever go down as one of the prem greatest teams. Also the fact they’ve only won one title. The very best teams might not win the title every year but they never fell away as badly as Liverpool have where they’ve tanked 2 seasons.

I have to disagree here. The 20/21 season is pretty easy to explain with them having their leader at the back along with their second and third best central defenders gone for almost the entire season - I don't think any of the great PL sides would've been able to mount a challenge under those circumstances. This season they've started poorly but in the last five seasons they've won the league once, won the CL once, reached another two CL finals and won one FA Cup and one League Cup title.

I don't see this season being the absolute end for them, they have the quality to pick themselves up and with a good signing or two they're not unlikely to challenge again next year.

Post #498796  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:36 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:

I have to disagree here. The 20/21 season is pretty easy to explain with them having their leader at the back along with their second and third best central defenders gone for almost the entire season - I don't think any of the great PL sides would've been able to mount a challenge under those circumstances. This season they've started poorly but in the last five seasons they've won the league once, won the CL once, reached another two CL finals and won one FA Cup and one League Cup title.

I don't see this season being the absolute end for them, they have the quality to pick themselves up and with a good signing or two they're not unlikely to challenge again next year.

Agree with you Haz. When you consider who they've been competing with, I think you can say this Liverpool team is a great side. The amount of points they've been consistently posting is incredible. They've won the CL too and been in two other CL finals. I know trophies are often the be-all-end-all for many but I think when it comes to the PL it's a more nuanced argument, due to the nation state backed team they're competign against. They're having a blip IMO. They still play with an intensity that will hurt alot of other teams.

Post #498797  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:52 am 

Gunfire wrote:
Zed wrote:

Good man Arteta.

If the idea of racism potentially being covered up gives you a boner it’s seriously time to look inwards a bit.

Post #498798  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:31 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
And Tomiyasu has to play. Hes simply too good to be out of the side. When he plays our defence looks more solid and we look more dynamic

Difficult choices have to be made there.

Tomiyasu is such an intelligent player, we need him in our team

Post #498799  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:37 am 

Decaf wrote:
Rich wrote:

I think you are right about the specific squad issue, but I think you are underrating Liverpool's achievements under Klopp. They were really unlucky to peak at a time when City were so dominant. Had the UAE money gone elsewhere, they would have been utterly dominant in England in the last few years, and probably would have picked up another CL.

That I do agree with, they have come up against an outstanding City team and have achieved 2 of the best 2nd place finishes seen in the prem. But every team comes up against a top class team, if you don't then you are that top class team.

In the history of the prem Pep's City have probably had the best individual team in a single season but for longevity Man U of the 90's, early 00's were the best. Without fergie and that team Arsenal win the title 7 years on the bounce. Eras change and football moves on and such is the advancement in training, athleticism, tactics etc I don't think any of the Man U or Arsenal teams of that era would be as good as City and Liverpool now - but that is why it is all but impossible to compare teams 20 years apart. If the teams back then had access to the lifestyle and facilities teams now have would they be as good - I'd think they would.

Post #498800  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:40 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Good man Arteta.

If the idea of racism potentially being covered up gives you a boner it’s seriously time to look inwards a bit.

Surely Arteta is saying that phrase as a 'I can't tell you anything' because either he doesn't fully know, or he knows its being dealt with by the ref/FA, and being such a sensitive subject he'd rather not be drawn to have to discuss it. I very much doubt Arteta believes that any racism on the pitch should just be brushed off as the heat of the battle like a little bit of handbags

[ 517581 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12467, 12468, 12469, 12470, 12471, 12472, 12473 ... 12940  Next