Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 290 guests

Post #498841  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:16 pm 

john1 wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Looks that way. Either that or a sugar daddy.

Like one of the richest men in the world type thing?

We;re absolutely desperate for a rich owner who is just going to pump money in to the squad. I really can't see a way out of where we are with the amount of players we need to turn over in this squad.
I posted a list of players who would likely leave in the next 2 years and we really don't have much money to replace them.

Post #498842  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:17 pm 

Darren wrote:
We are absolutely *%^@*** rubbish. There are comfortably 6-8 teams better than us in the league at the moment. We need to give Arteta time but boy is he making hard work of our PL form. We are dreadful.

Maybe Arteta isn't as good as we think he is. He has created a team that can't score.

Post #498843  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:18 pm 

Bernard wrote:
thofman wrote:
Seems Willian spotted a nice cushy, highly paid retirement gig. Aubameyang too maybe. Doubt Torreira, Guendouzi, Özil, Ramsey... would be doing any worse than this lot. Time to start holding Arteta to the same standards as Wenger and Emery.

The pressure is probably going to build on Arteta quite quickly. Unless a miracle happens by the end of this game we’ll probably be out of contention for a European place, even the Europa League let alone the Champions League, unless we win a cup. It’s not even bloody December yet. That’s not just disappointing. It’s a poor reflection on players, coaches, managers and the owner.

Your 100% right. It’s every facet of the club. The stewardship that let this club reach a point where there’s such little talent in midfield needs to be held accountable. 14th place

Post #498844  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:18 pm 

Bernard wrote:
The pressure is probably going to build on Arteta quite quickly. Unless a miracle happens by the end of this game we’ll probably be out of contention for a European place, even the Europa League let alone the Champions League, unless we win a cup. It’s not even bloody December yet. That’s not just disappointing. It’s a poor reflection on players, coaches, managers and the owner.

Yep. The quality of the recent performances has not held out the promise that it will get better. If we get hammered next week the pressure will mount hugely.

Post #498845  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:20 pm 

Ash wrote:
thofman wrote:
Seems Willian spotted a nice cushy, highly paid retirement gig. Aubameyang too maybe. Doubt Torreira, Guendouzi, Özil, Ramsey... would be doing any worse than this lot. Time to start holding Arteta to the same standards as Wenger and Emery.

If we stay up I'll start next season, you've got to give him more time than any other manager, otherwise what was the point of giving him the chance? Literally his first job and his first full season.

How many 'big' clubs give a novice manager a write off season to learn on the job? The levels of ineptitude on view at the minute don't exactly hint at a great manager in the making. Of course some will cite Solksjaer being given time, but have Man Utd ever looked this hopeless since he took over?

Post #498846  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:22 pm 

If you went man for man wolves and Arsenal’s teams where do we actually stand from the teams that played today? We’re saying this every week and it never looks that pretty for us.

Post #498847  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:23 pm 

john1 wrote:
Our crossing is terrible. Can’t just be down to ability; there must be a massive confidence factor here.

Can Arteta do anything about it?

Confidence comes from predictability, Arteta literally hasn't done this before, so he has none to give to the team. If confidence is already high that's one thing.

It's not like Lampard at Chelsea who had a stronger squad to start with and then spent the most money in the world in the summer.

Apart from the general malaise, Lacazette's form disappearing 12 months ago and Pépé being a £72M waste of money has put a huge dent in any progress we might have made and burns everyone's fingers involved so we don't spend that big or take a risk for quite a while. At some point you need to hit rock bottom and rise from the ashes. I still say we stick with Arteta and keep trying to rebuild the club once Özil the the rest's wages are off the books end of the season.

Post #498848  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:23 pm 

thofman wrote:
Ash wrote:

If we stay up I'll start next season, you've got to give him more time than any other manager, otherwise what was the point of giving him the chance? Literally his first job and his first full season.

How many 'big' clubs give a novice manager a write off season to learn on the job? The levels of ineptitude on view at the minute don't exactly hint at a great manager in the making. Of course some will cite Solksjaer being given time, but have Man Utd ever looked this hopeless since he took over?

Ole has also had over £200m to spend and really without Fernandes they kind of have looked this bad

Post #498849  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:28 pm 

thofman wrote:
Ash wrote:

Well you answered your own question. Pep Guardiola at Barca? Listen if it works it's genius if it doesn't it was stupid, it's a results business but it clearly isn't as simple as that. Ferguson being a couple of losses away from the sack and the rest is history etc.

I think Arteta will be given another season and if there isn't dramatic improvement then I think the club will part ways then. And I'm still happy to see him given that time.

Post #498850  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:29 pm 

At half time I was going to go and watch some paint dry but I was worried the sudden surge in excitement would not be good for the old ticker.

Post #498851  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:32 pm 

dec wrote:
Darren wrote:
We are absolutely *%^@*** rubbish. There are comfortably 6-8 teams better than us in the league at the moment. We need to give Arteta time but boy is he making hard work of our PL form. We are dreadful.

Maybe Arteta isn't as good as we think he is. He has created a team that can't score.

I have always held some concerns over Arteta but the FA cup win and some decent results against some of the big boys kind of glossed over them. It is clear that this season he has been unable to get any sort of tune out of the players at his disposal, bar perhaps the Man U game when United were actually pretty abysmal.

Post #498852  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:35 pm 

Arteta put a fair amount of trust in a group of senior players to steady the ship and see us through this transition, he was wrong to do so and/or those players have let him down.

Other than a new manager bump does anyone else get really that much more from this group? Of course the best may eeek out some more points but do they make Xhaka track runners, or gain pace, or any number of other problems we have?

Post #498853  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:35 pm 

Ash wrote:
thofman wrote:

Well you answered your own question. Pep Guardiola at Barca? Listen if it works it's genius if it doesn't it was stupid, it's a results business but it clearly isn't as simple as that. Ferguson being a couple of losses away from the sack and the rest is history etc.

I think Arteta will be given another season and if there isn't dramatic improvement then I think the club will part ways then. And I'm still happy to see him given that time.

The importance of CL football and the financial implications of not being there are so important that very few big clubs can afford to give a manager anything more than a season in which to get things moving in the right direction. We are not yet moving in the right direction.

Post #498854  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:36 pm 

Ash wrote:
thofman wrote:

Don't think Guardiola led Barca to their worst ever La Liga start in his first season. In fact, he won a treble.

Post #498855  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:37 pm 

There’s not a single creative midfield player at the club.

Changing the manager won’t alter this. Nor will micro dissecting the performances of Leno and Aubameyang either.

As I’ve said many times this is years in the making. You can’t let all those players leave without replacing them and we didn’t. Our squad is worse than it was 3 years ago. Every part of the club is malfunctioning.

By all means sack Arteta but I assure you nothing changes

Post #498856  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:38 pm 

Rich wrote:
Arteta put a fair amount of trust in a group of senior players to steady the ship and see us through this transition, he was wrong to do so and/or those players have let him down.

Other than a new manager bump does anyone else get really that much more from this group? Of course the best may eeek out some more points but do they make Xhaka track runners, or gain pace, or any number of other problems we have?

That's the million dollar question. Is Arteta the real deal or is it just hype after his spell with City.

I really have no idea and he's been here a season. What I will say is that I really can't believe our players are as bad as the performance levels suggest.

Post #498857  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:40 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
There’s not a single creative midfield player at the

Yes there is, he's just not being played.

Post #498858  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:43 pm 

Abu wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I don’t think we can pick him if we didn’t name him in the premier league squad

Post #498859  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:44 pm 

thofman wrote:
Ash wrote:

Don't think Guardiola led Barca to their worst ever La Liga start in his first season. In fact, he won a treble.

No but they put a novice in charge and it paid off so it looks like genius. It was the same gamble we've taken. Honestly give him one season it's ridiculous.

Post #498860  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:45 pm 

When wenger went we seemed to have a strategy to invest in expensive and experienced players to try to get us straight back in the champions league. It was totally wrong, we needed to accept that the squad was fundamentally unbalanced and flawed and start a 5 year plan. That plan should have been to totally strip the wage bill, get rid of underperforming players and invest in younger players with potential.
Now is the time to do that. The new 5 year plan has to start from now. We need to plan for not being in the champions league for the next 5 years and adjust wages and transfers accordingly

Post #498861  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:46 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Abu wrote:

That's not what you said.

Post #498862  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:47 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

That's the million dollar question. Is Arteta the real deal or is it just hype after his spell with City.

I really have no idea and he's been here a season. What I will say is that I really can't believe our players are as bad as the performance levels suggest.

With some of the players I absolutely can believe they are as bad as they are playing. We have some players who have always let us down and who would struggle to start for a top 10 team. We definitely have players who are playing below their level, the question is is this the managers role to get them playing to the level they can or should the player take responsibility for his poor form?

Post #498863  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:49 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Abu wrote:

Does he help? Really? Look at Özil’s goals and assist stats over the last year or so before he was cut out of the picture. All it shows was a guy who was nowhere near the level he previously was and also added nothing to the defensive side of the game.

Post #498864  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:49 pm 

Rich wrote:
When wenger went we seemed to have a strategy to invest in expensive and experienced players to try to get us straight back in the champions league. It was totally wrong, we needed to accept that the squad was fundamentally unbalanced and flawed and start a 5 year plan. That plan should have been to totally strip the wage bill, get rid of underperforming players and invest in younger players with potential.
Now is the time to do that. The new 5 year plan has to start from now. We need to plan for not being in the champions league for the next 5 years and adjust wages and transfers accordingly

Totally agree, at the moment it looks like halfway house of young players but also hedging our bets getting players who frankly are a bit passed it at this level and journeymen to mitigate their mistakes. Bold it isn't.

Post #498865  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:50 pm 

Rich wrote:

That's a big ask, Rich. Has any big club in the world ever done that? Even Liverpool got kind of lucky with some transfers in and out that enabled them to quickly bridge the gap. The selling of Coutinho for an outrageous fee enabled them to buy VVD and Alisson.

Post #498866  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:52 pm 

MU is even above us at 8th place.
What is it only 13 pts from 10 games so far? I think. Very disappointing. Missing Partey isn't just the major issue. There's more to it than that. I still say MA underestimates his opponents. He doesn't appear to prep players correctly. Makes you wonder what really goes on in training prior to each match.
In 14th place. A win Thursday would be uplifting, but more so against Spurs.

Post #498867  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:55 pm 

To be honest, Partey must be thinking already what a huge mistake he has made in joining. His wages may console him but he wont be playing CL football anytime soon unless we sell him.

Post #498868  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:56 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Does he help? Really? Look at Özil’s goals and assist stats over the last year or so before he was cut out of the picture. All it shows was a guy who was nowhere near the level he previously was and also added nothing to the defensive side of the game.

Manage him effectively. Does Xhaka help?

Post #498869  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:58 pm 

The gooners match rating out of ten

Dani Ceballos - 2 - Simply plodded along and offered nothing in the middle of the park as Wolves ran riot. His form from the end of last season has long been forgotten.

Granit Xhaka - 1 - A shocking performance in which he failed to gain any control, do his defence work and create anything from deep. As long as Xhaka is Arsenal's first-choice midfielder, the club are sadly condemned to mediocrity.

Post #498870  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:07 pm 

Arteta saying Partey’s injury worse than first feared. Probably a few more games. God help us with this midfield. I think we have to go back to 5 at the back and hope for a set piece

Post #498871  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:08 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

That's a big ask, Rich. Has any big club in the world ever done that? Even Liverpool got kind of lucky with some transfers in and out that enabled them to quickly bridge the gap. The selling of Coutinho for an outrageous fee enabled them to buy VVD and Alisson.

Not accepting we’ll be out of the champions league, just plan for it

Post #498872  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:09 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
The gooners match rating out of ten

Dani Ceballos - 2 - Simply plodded along and offered nothing in the middle of the park as Wolves ran riot. His form from the end of last season has long been forgotten.

Granit Xhaka - 1 - A shocking performance in which he failed to gain any control, do his defence work and create anything from deep. As long as Xhaka is Arsenal's first-choice midfielder, the club are sadly condemned to mediocrity.

Hard to argue, guess that's why we were after Partey and Aouar to replace the midifield

Post #498873  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:12 pm 

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:

Not accepting we’ll be out of the champions league, just plan for it

I agree with the thinking, I just can't see it happening.

It's sad but people these days crave instant gratification, myself included. I just can't see fans or owners or even players being prepared to wait for the implementation and evolution of a 5 year plan.

Post #498874  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:17 pm 

Abu wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Indeed!

Post #498875  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:19 pm 

Just read the sad news about Papa Bouba Diop. Only 42.

Wonderful player. Played with a smile.

Post #498876  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:21 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

Not seen that. What did he die of?

Post #498877  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:24 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

Yes, very sad. A very strong man. Away at Fulham he dominated Vieira in a game we won. I never saw any other player do that to Paddy when he wore our shirt.

Post #498878  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:25 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Not seen that. What did he die of?

Doesn’t say yet - not in any of the reports that I have read. Other than that it was a long term illness.

Post #498879  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:25 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Yes, very sad. A very strong man. Away at Fulham he dominated Vieira in a game we won. I never saw any other player do that to Paddy when he wore our shirt.

I think they called him the "wardrobe".

Very, very sad news. RIP.

Post #498880  Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:35 pm 

What more is there to say about our central midfield when this average position graphic sums it up perfectly!

Attachments:
File comment: Just wow

[ 551545 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12469, 12470, 12471, 12472, 12473, 12474, 12475 ... 13789  Next