Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf and 296 guests

Post #480121  Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:38 pm 

Rich wrote:
Can we play this Chelsea in the FA Cup final please!?

Of course. If we're 5 and they're 3 or less. Obviously not the other way round.

Post #480122  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:51 am 

Pulisic has to be the best player America has produced so far. Hopefully more to come and hopefully they don't end up with our rivals.

Post #480123  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:03 am 

30 year wait and you can't celebrate in front of your fans nor have a parade. That's gotta suck. I am happy for them though. We and Man Utd have gone through a similar drought.

Post #480124  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:53 am 

AOC but must go to bed every night and thank his personal deity for that transfer. :1laughter:

Post #480125  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:08 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
AOC but must go to bed every night and thank his personal deity for that transfer. :1laughter:

Hes done well in terms of getting the medals around his neck, but has he improved himself as a player, marginally maybe but he's not forced his way in to the starting 11 and is still a 1 good game in 5 player he was with us. People can always point at players who have left Arsenal and won trophies, but the reality is Liverpool could have signed Elneny instead of Ox and it would be Elneny with all the trophies.

He's a good player but Liverpool have a £40m substitute

Post #480126  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:12 am 

Bernard wrote:
Couldn’t agree more Rich. Your post corresponds closely with what I was saying earlier. The ones you list are all good squad players, as you imply. But I can’t believe some of the overreaction to some of them, as I implied earlier. With your listing, however, I would add Smith Rowe to the sellable items, and add Martinelli to Saka as the not for sale items.

Of all of them I'd like to see more of Emile Smith Rowe. He has a set of skills the others don't and is something this team needs. He can dribble, score and create. Obviously the level he can do that at is the biggest question.
The academy serves two roles, first team players and sell-able assets. If we did sell Nketiah, Willock, Nelson even for a combined £50m then the academy has done a pretty good job. For the academy to just produce 1 player every 2 years good enough for Arsenal's starting 11 for where Arsenal should be it is doing very well.

Every big club struggles to produce first team players from the academy

Post #480127  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:14 am 

Saka has been given the No. 7 shirt for next season

Post #480128  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:40 am 

Rich wrote:

Don’t think it’s been used since Mkhitaryan went on his loan. The two players I associate most with the 7 shirt are Brady and Pires. If Saka is to get anywhere near their levels, he’ll have to become one hell of a player.

Post #480129  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:42 am 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Hes done well in terms of getting the medals around his neck, but has he improved himself as a player, marginally maybe but he's not forced his way in to the starting 11 and is still a 1 good game in 5 player he was with us. People can always point at players who have left Arsenal and won trophies, but the reality is Liverpool could have signed Elneny instead of Ox and it would be Elneny with all the trophies.

I hear ya mate, but I think if you asked him if he could go back in time and been a guaranteed starter for Arsenal, improved technically or his Liverpool career, he'd laugh at the question.

Post #480130  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:45 am 

I'd love Willian but if the choice is Willian or a highly rated central defender, I'll take the latter. We've looked more solid at the back than we have been. I'll credit that to better organizing by Arteta but we desperately need a solid central defense if we have any hope of top 4.

Post #480131  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:09 am 

Not looking great for allowing spectators back into football grounds. Last night’s entirely unsurprising group revelry outside Anfield shows that football crowds cannot be trusted to do the right thing. Sheer madness

Post #480132  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:50 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Not looking great for allowing spectators back into football grounds. Last night’s entirely unsurprising group revelry outside Anfield shows that football crowds cannot be trusted to do the right thing. Sheer madness

Bloody scousers. Still at least someone is happy for them.

Post #480133  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:17 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Don’t think it’s been used since Mkhitaryan went on his loan. The two players I associate most with the 7 shirt are Brady and Pires. If Saka is to get anywhere near their levels, he’ll have to become one hell of a player.

Too right. I'm too young to have seen Brady play but Pires was a lovely No.7! Sanchez was a great 7 for us in terms of talent but won't be remembered as long as those two

Saliba has been given No.4. Bit of a boot out the door for Elneny who's been given 25.

Bit of a risk for any fan to get the name and number of a current player on the back of their shirt.
I remember my young nephew got Sanchez and was sad when he left so my sister let him get a replacement and he chose Giroud - who promptly left 2 months later - she should have spoken to me as there were rumours at the time he was to be involved in the aubamayang deal somehow. Not sure who I would have recommended he got instead at the time though!

Post #480134  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:19 am 

Emery has been appointed Villareal boss. Wonder if he fancies taking some players off our hands?

Post #480135  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:56 am 

Sorry to see Kevin Whitcher step down as the editor of the gooner. Always thought his editorials were under stated and usually nailed on.

New bloke seems a publicity whore who says a lot and nothing insightful

Post #480136  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:37 pm 

Rich wrote:
Too right. I'm too young to have seen Brady play

You lucky bugger (the age bit, not the Brady bit).

Post #480137  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:38 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Sorry to see Kevin Whitcher step down as the editor of the gooner. Always thought his editorials were under stated and usually nailed on.

Is it American Gooner then?

(PS Only joking American - honestly. :42laughter: )

Post #480138  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:46 pm 

Mustafi looks like he's out for the cup final. That's a blow because he's been our best defender for a while.
I'm assuming it'll be a back 3. Holding/Luiz/Kolasinac doesn't fill me with joy. Holding/Luiz/Tierney is better. Bellerin plays right wing back. Then it's Saka v AMN for left-wing back. Xhaka/Ceballos in the centre and Aubameyang/Lacazette/Pépé up top.

Post #480139  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:24 pm 

Rich wrote:
Mustafi looks like he's out for the cup final. That's a blow because he's been our best defender for a while.

Like you I think it’s a big blow if Mustafi is out for the final. We will obviously still have a decent chance as anything can happen in one off games. But I firmly believe our chances will be made slimmer if Mustafi is out for the final.

Post #480140  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:55 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Is it American Gooner then?

(PS Only joking American - honestly. :42laughter: )

That's it. You are blocked. :1laughter:

(PS Despite stories to the contrary, I don't mind a good joke at my expense)

Post #480141  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:56 pm 

My present shirt barely has the tag off.

Attachments:

Post #480142  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:59 pm 

Rich wrote:

(my inner voice)
Don't say it AG, don't. Don't take the bait. Go deep inside and muster the strength not to say anything about 'him' not being in the cup final.

C'mon AG, I see you are slipping...Phew, did it! :icon_mrgreen:

Post #480143  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:04 pm 

I don't expect us to win the cup final. I am guessing the bookies have Chelsea favored. The fact we got to the final is an accomplishment in its own right.

Post #480144  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:08 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Post #480145  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:49 pm 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

AOC as an ex Arse player getting a title trophy was the one plus from Liverpool winning this season. He would've waited awhile longer to get a title win at Arsenal so far.

Post #480146  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:59 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
30 year wait and you can't celebrate in front of your fans nor have a parade. That's gotta suck. I am happy for them though. We and Man Utd have gone through a similar drought.

Oh well with a 5:30 kick off time Aug 1 for the FAC final, may see fans from both sides outside Wembley. Depending on the winner, expect flares, fireworks, chants, yelling to commence, along with lots of drinking. And why not, an empty stadium it will be. If fans allowed to gather, except dead silence from the losing side.

Post #480147  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:39 pm 

warrior wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Warrior, can you help me figure out how to do that on my pc?

Attachments:

Post #480148  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:48 pm 

Serie A has become the SPL when Rangers dropped several years ago. The 'old lady' is about to win their 9th straight title. The only joy in that is Ramsey gets a medal. Other than that its boring.

I think had Wenger not come along Man Utd would have won all the titles from '98 to 2003 and if Chelsea didn't get an oligarch they would have won every title through Liverpool getting Klopp.

The one possible exception are the 2002 Liverpool side. They were capable of winning a title and had it not been for our run in that spring they'd have been champions.

Post #480149  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:02 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

(my inner voice)
Don't say it AG, don't. Don't take the bait. Go deep inside and muster the strength not to say anything about 'him' not being in the cup final.

The point is American, what Rich said there is 100% correct. Mustafi has been our best defender for some while and if he doesn’t play in the cup final, it compromises our chances. Just because you don’t want to accept it doesn’t make Rich wrong.

I realise you’ll deny seeing this, so maybe someone you haven’t blocked could reply to it in order to copy it. You’ve simply boxed yourself into a corner over Mustafi, and have made yourself look a bit silly.

Post #480150  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:52 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

I don't know him but he's clearly a proper Gooner who I believe was the Islington Gazette Arsenal correspondent. I quite like him.

Post #480151  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:14 pm 

Just to complete a great season - Mike Dean as our ref

Post #480152  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:25 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Just to complete a great season - Mike Dean as our ref

No wonder Dean will be nowhere near the FAC final. He probably can't wait to burst our bubble against the Hornets. Add more cajanoes as Deeney needs all the help he can get.

Post #480153  Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:27 pm 

Bernard wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
(my inner voice)

The point is American, what Rich said there is 100% correct. Mustafi has been our best defender for some while and if he doesn’t play in the cup final, it compromises our chances. Just because you don’t want to accept it doesn’t make Rich wrong.

I realise you’ll deny seeing this, so maybe someone you haven’t blocked could reply to it in order to copy it. You’ve simply boxed yourself into a corner over Mustafi, and have made yourself look a bit silly.

Luiz anyone?

Post #480154  Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:31 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Pretty good assessment of our current situation.
https://www.football365.com/news/opinio ... mesut-ozil

This was a poor performance after a pretty good game against City. I don't think the Liverpool game had any encouraging signs at all. Our lack of creativity is really concerning. Ceballos is not the answer - I don't want us wasting the money. I think Smith -Rowe is more creative than him.

I agree that Ceballos is not our answer to creativity. He is another Guendozi, all huff and puff but no end result. Sadly.

Post #480155  Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:37 am 

Rich wrote:
There is still lots of talk about us signing Willian. This season he's been far better than any attacking midfielder we have but I don't think this is the sort of signing we should be making. Will he improve us next season? probably. But he's looking for a 3 year deal at I would estimate up around £200k per week. Of that £30m commitment (plus bonuses) how much of that Time will Willian be performing at the level he's been this season? Pretty much as soon as you give Willian that deal his value is £0 and you have no chance of moving him on at any time of that 3 year contract no matter how he's playing.

I hope we don't buy Willian. I don't see him busting his guts for us. He is winding down his career. Having him, along with the high wages, is another Özil situation waiting to unfold.

Post #480156  Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:40 am 

Rich wrote:
Emery has been appointed Villareal boss. Wonder if he fancies taking some players off our hands?

Happy for him. Hope he does well.

Post #480157  Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:06 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Rich wrote:
There is still lots of talk about us signing Willian. This season he's been far better than any attacking midfielder we have but I don't think this is the sort of signing we should be making. Will he improve us next season? probably. But he's looking for a 3 year deal at I would estimate up around £200k per week. Of that £30m commitment (plus bonuses) how much of that Time will Willian be performing at the level he's been this season? Pretty much as soon as you give Willian that deal his value is £0 and you have no chance of moving him on at any time of that 3 year contract no matter how he's playing.

I hope we don't buy Willian. I don't see him busting his guts for us. He is winding down his career. Having him, along with the high wages, is another Özil situation waiting to unfold.

Agree 100%

Post #480158  Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:34 am 

Goonie wrote:
Zed wrote:
Luiz anyone?

The three CB system with Luiz and Mustafi plus another has produced better defensive performances. But I think Arteta might go back to a back four next season.

I think Arteta has to shape the team to be playing a back 4 sooner rather than later. The back 3 potentially works if your wing backs can score and assist 10+ goals each in the season but it doesn't allow enough control of the middle of the pitch.
The back 3 is a means to an end for Arteta, none of our defenders can be trusted in a 2 so to plug the gaps in defence he's gone with the 3, to some extent it has worked because we are conceding less but it has come at the expense of our attacking play. Whilst we're inferior to the other big teams maybe it is a suitable tactic to have up our sleeves to sit deeper, cede possession and counter, but against at least 12-13 of the prem sides we need to be playing a back 4 and taking the game to them if we want to get back in top 4

Post #480159  Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:54 am 

No amount of organization or tactics is going to make a bad or error prone defender good. It can only minimize his bad points.

Cygan can claim he was involved in some of Arsenal's biggest wins. Decisive wins. No one is on here longing for another Cygan. When you have Vieira in front of you and cagey old vet like Keown next to you organizing you can look good or if not good, stable.

For whatever reason, Arsenal tend to spend big money on players outside the back line. When we do (Mustafi) our lack of experience in buying quality gets exposed. Chelsea, Man Utd, City, Liverpool have spent money that would normally be for top attacking players for a known, quality defender. No one knew who Mustafi was before we shelled out some 36 odd million. Luiz is another in a list of washed up defenders from rivals we have tried to breathe new life into.

If we had spent the money we spent on Pépé for a world class defender, I'd have seen that as money better spent.

The bottom line is no matter how well the defense is playing now, there is very little doubt in my mind we can go a season with the present central defense and be top 4 or even top 6.

Post #480160  Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:13 am 

Did anyone see the Lampard and Klopp touchline argument where Lampard shouter over to Klopp "first league title you've won and you're giving it the bigun'. Obviously frank is forgetting the two titles Klopp won in Germany and the small matter of the Champions League Liverpool won 12 months ago. I don't think Klopp ever does 'give it the bigun', but if anyone would be allowed to right now it would be him. Lampard strikes me as having quite a large chip on his shoulder

[ 537937 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12001, 12002, 12003, 12004, 12005, 12006, 12007 ... 13449  Next