Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:06 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, mcquilkie and 281 guests

Post #471601  Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:23 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

If that was a pen what about Leno on van Dyck when he went for the ball and almost conceded.?

Hi BC. Probably because I’m biased(!!) but I don’t remember Leno taking out Van D in quite the same way as Alisson did

Leno did but nowhere near as clear cut and brutal as the Alison on Mkhitaryan one.

Post #471602  Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:23 pm 

Granit Xhaka vs. Liverpool:

Most passes of any player on the pitch (84/97 completed)
Most tackles of any player on the pitch (5/7 successful)
Most ball recoveries of any player on the pitch (15)

Post #471603  Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:27 pm 

Thank you to whoever took off that disgusting post from Babu this morning.

Even judged against his own very low standards, it was well out of order.

Post #471604  Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:32 pm 

Just got home from the game yesterday.

Very much enjoyed the whole game, especially the atmosphere which was probably the best atmosphere I've experienced there for about 4 years (don't go to that many homes any more).

As for the game, what I particularly liked was that the team seemed to believe. No heads dropped after the Liverpool goal, and our pressing was very good. Shouts out from me to Torreira and Holding - well played. Also Mustafi did well.

Although a draw was probably a fair result, we matched them and could have won.

Good times are coming - but we need to be patient.

Post #471605  Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:10 pm 

The Sunday Mirror and People give marks out of 10 to players. I assume it's the same person rating the players as the marks were identical, and aren't the papers in the same ownership 'saddle'? The marks given to our starting eleven against Liverpool were as follows.

Leno 7, Bellerin 7, Holding 6, Mustafi 6, Kolasinac 6, Torreira 9, Xhaka 7, Mkhitaryeon 7, Özil 7, Aubameyang 8, Lacazette 8.

How the hell can Holding and Mustafi only get 6 out of 10, the joint lowest score? I thought they were arguably our best two players.

Post #471606  Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:45 pm 

Bernard wrote:
How the hell can Holding and Mustafi only get 6 out of 10, the joint lowest score? I thought they were arguably our best two players.

Those ratings must be from someone who didn't watch the game at all. I thought Xhaka was our man of the match. Other standout performers were Torreira, Holding, Mustafi and Özil who had a terrific game despite not being involved in a goal. But for me it was one of those games without a bad performance. No Arsenal player deserves lower than a 7 if were using that scale.

Post #471607  Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:46 pm 

Bernard wrote:
The Sunday Mirror and People give marks out of 10 to players. I assume it's the same person rating the players as the marks were identical, and aren't the papers in the same ownership 'saddle'? The marks given to our starting eleven against Liverpool were as follows.

Leno 7, Bellerin 7, Holding 6, Mustafi 6, Kolasinac 6, Torreira 9, Xhaka 7, Mkhitaryeon 7, Özil 7, Aubameyang 8, Lacazette 8.

I think they use the same reporter, and the match reports have been identical in the past (Mum used to get both papers) so I bet they are now too.

Agree with you on Mustafi and Holding as having very good games, but for me Torreira was the star.

Post #471608  Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:09 pm 

Another thought that I read someone wrote about the Mané offside goal. You can see the arsenal defender, mustafi I think, step up and perfectly play Mané’s run offside. If Mané is Mustafi’s man that mustafi is put at a huge disadvantage, or Mané at a huge advantage by being well ahead of the play.

The whole rule is a mess and needs sorting out

Post #471609  Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:53 pm 

john1 wrote:

Goodness me. He was having a laugh. Some people need to chill out.

Post #471610  Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:00 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
john1 wrote:

Are you sure Top Gun? Having a laugh? It wasn't funny at all.

Post #471611  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:43 am 

Rich wrote:
Granit Xhaka vs. Liverpool:

Most passes of any player on the pitch (84/97 completed)
Most tackles of any player on the pitch (5/7 successful)
Most ball recoveries of any player on the pitch (15)

I am beginning to enjoy his performance. Always good to see a player improve.

Post #471612  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:10 am 

Reiss Nelson is currently the top scorer for TSG Hoffenheim, despite playing in only 6 of their 10 matches. I think thy would want him permanently. Hope there is a clause to recall him in January. Replace him with Mkhitaryan.

Post #471613  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:59 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I found it funny anyway. Someone was having a shot at him so he responded by suggesting the said person could willingly store his balls in their cheeks like a chipmunk collecting almonds or something. Sorry that’s funny. What was the expected response that should have been provided. Grown people lighten up

Post #471614  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:22 am 

Don't know what post that was as certain folks are thankfully on the ignore list and from the sound of it, I don't need to modify it :icon_mrgreen: but you are becoming the forum's AmericanGooner man!! Stop and think about that. :1laughter:

Post #471615  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:26 am 

Anyway, regarding Liverpool. There have been some Liverpool sides their fans and some pundits thought 'this is it' and they will get their first title since '90 was it? Anyway, I think this one is their best. I think the 2002 side was very, very good and would have won the title if we didn't go on such a run. The Rodgers one was pretty good as well for a season, but Klopp has put together a side that if it weren't for City, they'd win the title I think. The past Liverpool sides, the 2001 to 2003 side with Owen, Heskey (still can't see how he got into the England side), Carragher and the rest were pretty good but Man Utd had too much money to buy talent and we were in a golden era. Then later Chelsea and City.
I think Klopp will win a title. He will pull of something like he did with Dortmund. Not saying it will be this season but I wouldn't be surprised if they won a title within the next 3 years.

Post #471616  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:12 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
john1 wrote:

I'm very chilled thanks TG.

We'll have to disagree about whether the post was appropriate to this forum or not.

It's gone, and that's for the best imo, whether it was intended as a 'joke' or not.

Post #471617  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:06 am 

Tottenham are enjoying a good spell now but will they eclipse us? Will that new stadium give them that much money? They have their 'Wenger' who really hasn't delivered anything. Has he even won a trophy yet? Their last trophy I think was the league cup about a decade ago.

Can't see them being bigger than us for the foreseeable future. They may not finish ahead of this season. They just started finishing above us.

We are a London club, we will continue to be big I think. Villa are in Birmingham, Sunderland and Newcastle are in the northeast. Nothing like London and being an iconic club. I hate the present ownership as much as anyone but with Emery and the money we get, we'll do okay I think.

I also think Josh is not like his father. He has a bit more pride in wanting to win. I'd prefer someone else but he is the future owner of the club and he's a bit more serious in winning than his dad.

Post #471618  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:13 am 

Babu: Not sure if you've seen this short documentary on Hamburg football culture and the derby.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/co ... v-st-pauli

I was lucky enough to be at the Arsenal vs Liverpool match this weekend. A really good game with two teams who were primed to attack. How nice to see Arsenal go toe to toe with the title challengers, though of course the real test will come when we can do this away from home. Now that the team have a new manager, and a new style, and are visibly improving, the crowd are starting to respond in kind. The apathy and disconnect which increasingly characterised Wenger's final year's as manager is now being replaced by a much more positive and vibrant support. Also, in Torrieira I think we have found missing piece which had eluded us for so long. I loved that double tackle in the space of 30 seconds.

Post #471619  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:27 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Villa are in Birmingham, Sunderland and Newcastle are in the northeast.

Thanks for clearing that up American.

Post #471620  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:39 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

I found it funny anyway. Someone was having a shot at him so he responded by suggesting the said person could willingly store his balls in their cheeks like a chipmunk collecting almonds or something. Sorry that’s funny. What was the expected response that should have been provided. Grown people lighten up

I think we will agree to disagree on your views. The forum can be viewed by the public without signing in and by males females or any other gender. It totally fails the test of would it be acceptable to many other than the most sensitive. But having been a contributor when Steve was with us - I can tell you I am pretty sure he would have banned the poster for some time. Remember Judith sometimes looks in & the forum remains in memory of Steve. Come on, a bit of sense is required. Call me precious or a prude but it overstepped the boundaries.

Post #471621  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:46 am 

We are making progress. We would have lost the Liverpool match in August. We would likely have lost it if the match was at Anfield.
The next step in our progress is to take a draw away from City, Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool and yes, Tottenham away. (Yes, I know we already played Chelsea away, meant it rhetorically).

Post #471622  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:48 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Looking at the highlights, it really wasn't a bad mistake for Leno on their goal. He gets a decent enough touch on the cross from Mané, but then it takes a deflection off Holding and bounces straight out to Milner. If it doesn't touch Holding the ball probably goes straight to Kolasinac and there is no goal. More bad luck than anything.

Yeah, Leno was unfortunate the ball took a deflection of Holding's ankle then falling nicely for the onrushing Milner. I think we got to credit a great whipped ball in from Mané as well.

I've been impressed with Leno's shot stopping ability - I like the way he makes himself big coming out of goal. However, he has made a few errors on crosses/corners and we've been lucky to get away with those up to now. Still a work in progress for me.

Post #471623  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:52 am 

Rich wrote:
Watched that Mané disallowed goal again and I think it is perfectly right to disallow it, although not for the reasons that most of the pundits think it was disallowed.
Everyone can agree Mané is offside when the initial ball is played, Mané then makes a clear move to get the ball, he only ends up a body length away from getting it. You could argue that if Mané doesn’t move towards the ball then Leno comes out quicker or doesn’t come out - it doesn’t matter, Mané being there and moving towards the ball is affecting the play. Secondly he IS gaining an advantage by being in an offside position. By being ahead of the lastdefender he is able to create a 2v1 against the gk that would only be a 1v1 without his offside starting position.
Pundits are looking at Mané once Firminho touches the ball, where he is clearly behind firminho but that misses out huge parts of the offside law

If that goal should have stood then the new rules are absolutely crazy. Can't keep up with them these days, on first viewing I thought how can they even be arguing about that, clearly offside. Don't think Liverpool can have too many complaints about that getting chalked off.

Post #471624  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:01 am 

Rich wrote:
Would have been an utter travesty if we’d taken nothing from that game. I think that’s the best we’ve played all season beating in mind the quality of the opposition.
Dominated Liverpool for long periods, other than from about 5-15 mins and immediately after they scored arsenal were the better team.

There is a lot of progress from the opening couple of games. We’re clearly still a way behind city and Liverpool but that was a good performance.

Also that could be argued to be a defence missing 3 of the first choice back 4. Take van dyk, Gomez and Robertson our of Liverpool’s defence and let’s see how their defence would have coped.

Agree with all the comments generally on the match but particularly this one. I was really pleased with the performance we put in on Sunday and we would have been very unfortunate to have taken nothing from the game. We dealt with Liverpool's gegenpressing style superbly and as the stats post game have shown, the lads' work ethic in KM's run and sprints made actually exceeded the opposition - a team who are renowned for exactly that. Much credit goes to Holding, Xhaka and Torreira for exceptional performances.

If anything, I'm slightly disappointed we couldn't create a few more clear cut chances in the game but happy overall with the point given we had 30 mins to pull it back with the immense threat Liverpool posed on the counter.

Post #471625  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:49 am 

Niall wrote:
Rich wrote:
Would have been an utter travesty if we’d taken nothing from that game. I think that’s the best we’ve played all season beating in mind the quality of the opposition.
Dominated Liverpool for long periods, other than from about 5-15 mins and immediately after they scored arsenal were the better team.

There is a lot of progress from the opening couple of games. We’re clearly still a way behind city and Liverpool but that was a good performance.

Also that could be argued to be a defence missing 3 of the first choice back 4. Take van dyk, Gomez and Robertson our of Liverpool’s defence and let’s see how their defence would have coped.

Agree with all the comments generally on the match but particularly this one. I was really pleased with the performance we put in on Sunday and we would have been very unfortunate to have taken nothing from the game. We dealt with Liverpool's gegenpressing style superbly and as the stats post game have shown, the lads' work ethic in KM's run and sprints made actually exceeded the opposition - a team who are renowned for exactly that. Much credit goes to Holding, Xhaka and Torreira for exceptional performances.

If anything, I'm slightly disappointed we couldn't create a few more clear cut chances in the game but happy overall with the point given we had 30 mins to pull it back with the immense threat Liverpool posed on the counter.

I happened to see the review of the match on the Liverpool TV site. Just their experts talking and they were all impressed with how far Arsenal have progressed and thought we are looking good for top 4. They thought the draw was a true reflection of the game. I thought we played really well and as a team. If you had asked me before the season started if I rated Holding, Iwobi and a few others and I would have said never. But as some others predicted he really has got the best of many of our players. Mentally we have improved and players are a team.

Post #471626  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:55 am 

Niall wrote:
Rich wrote:
Watched that Mané disallowed goal again and I think it is perfectly right to disallow it, although not for the reasons that most of the pundits think it was disallowed.
Everyone can agree Mané is offside when the initial ball is played, Mané then makes a clear move to get the ball, he only ends up a body length away from getting it. You could argue that if Mané doesn’t move towards the ball then Leno comes out quicker or doesn’t come out - it doesn’t matter, Mané being there and moving towards the ball is affecting the play. Secondly he IS gaining an advantage by being in an offside position. By being ahead of the lastdefender he is able to create a 2v1 against the gk that would only be a 1v1 without his offside starting position.
Pundits are looking at Mané once Firminho touches the ball, where he is clearly behind firminho but that misses out huge parts of the offside law

If that goal should have stood then the new rules are absolutely crazy. Can't keep up with them these days, on first viewing I thought how can they even be arguing about that, clearly offside. Don't think Liverpool can have too many complaints about that getting chalked off.

Don’t disagree but many in the media said the goal should have stood including ex ref peter Walton . Imagine if Leno had actually saved the shot instead of it bouncing off a post only to be followed in by Mané. That would be one bitter pill to swallow.

Post #471627  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:30 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Niall wrote:

I happened to see the review of the match on the Liverpool TV site. Just their experts talking and they were all impressed with how far Arsenal have progressed and thought we are looking good for top 4. They thought the draw was a true reflection of the game. I thought we played really well and as a team. If you had asked me before the season started if I rated Holding, Iwobi and a few others and I would have said never. But as some others predicted he really has got the best of many of our players. Mentally we have improved and players are a team.

We have indeed, given Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City's highly impressive start to be only six points off the pace at this stage is a great return for the new coach.

Post #471628  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:42 am 

Rumour Mill: Massive Alexis Sanchez wages could lead to Manchester United losing stars

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/p ... 7093e1ff7a

You have to feel sorry for them just a little.

Not.

Post #471629  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:09 pm 

warrior wrote:
Rumour Mill: Massive Alexis Sanchez wages could lead to Manchester United losing stars

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/p ... 7093e1ff7a

You have to feel sorry for them just a little.

Not.

As the tears trickle down my cheek I think I will head off to bed. Poor Mourinho hahahah

Post #471630  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:10 pm 

Rough start for Henry so far, wishing him all the best.
https://www.givemesport.com/1412359-thi ... x_No-qsP4M

Post #471631  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:14 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Anyway, regarding Liverpool. There have been some Liverpool sides their fans and some pundits thought 'this is it' and they will get their first title since '90 was it? Anyway, I think this one is their best. I think the 2002 side was very, very good and would have won the title if we didn't go on such a run. The Rodgers one was pretty good as well for a season, but Klopp has put together a side that if it weren't for City, they'd win the title I think. The past Liverpool sides, the 2001 to 2003 side with Owen, Heskey (still can't see how he got into the England side), Carragher and the rest were pretty good but Man Utd had too much money to buy talent and we were in a golden era. Then later Chelsea and City.
I think Klopp will win a title. He will pull of something like he did with Dortmund. Not saying it will be this season but I wouldn't be surprised if they won a title within the next 3 years.

Has Pool won anything under Klopp so far? I don't recall any trophy.

Post #471632  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:43 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Has Pool won anything under Klopp so far? I don't recall any trophy.

Since winning the FA Cup against West Ham on penalties in 2006, Liverpool have reached six major cup finals and won only one. In the same period they have twice finished runners-up in the Premier League.

Klopp has presided over two fourth-placed finishes in his two full seasons in charge.

Post #471633  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:05 pm 

Rumour that Gazidis has appointed Wenger to replace Gattuso at Milan

That would be bizarre

Post #471634  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:57 pm 

It's getting close.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/en.onefoot ... nager/amp/

Post #471635  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:09 pm 

Then this from 24, Oct. as in Talksport.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/talksport. ... ttuso/amp/

Post #471636  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:20 pm 

Decent group of young players emerging at arsenal, and these aren’t a group of hopefuls and maybes, these are players who are first 11, first team squad or doing it at a high level, only a few are unproven but with massive potential.
Iwobi, Torreira, Bellerin, Holding, mavropanos, Nelson, maitland-niles, Smith-Rowe, nketiah, guendouzi
All these guys around 23 or under I think. Put a GK in there and that is a decent team

Post #471637  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:00 pm 

Rich wrote:
Iwobi, Torreira, Bellerin, Holding, mavropanos, Nelson, maitland-niles, Smith-Rowe, nketiah, guendouzi
All these guys around 23 or under I think. Put a GK in there and that is a decent team

Nelson is looking like one of those can't miss youngsters - five goals in his first six Bundesliga games. We must include him in the squad next seaso, hopefully he can take on Welbecks role as a winger/striker squad player.

If we're able to fill a couple of more squad places with our own players it gives us more money to focus on strengthening our most pressing needs. Van Dijk has shown how much there is to gain from signing a world class central defender. Probably the best defender in the league, and he has helped transform Liverpool defensively.

Post #471638  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:04 pm 

Wenger rumored to be going to Milan soon. I thought Gazidis didn't rate him?

Post #471639  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:05 pm 

Jadon Sancho doing well at Dortmund as well. Four goals and six assists in ten games, certainly looks like he made the right choice in moving to Germany. Interesting to see if more british talents follow their lead in trying to develop outside England. For these attacking talents it makes a lot of sense to develop at teams with an attacking philosophy and managers like Nagelsmann and Favre, rather than playing for grinding bottom table Premier League clubs with managers like Neil Warnock and Mark Hughes.

Post #471640  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:31 pm 

Carragher pinned the Liverpool goal on Mustafi on MNF. Poor starting position encouraged Mané's run. Too slow to cover Bellerin and poor attempt to stop the cross.

Van Diyk and Arnold kopped it for the equaliser.

[ 551322 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11788, 11789, 11790, 11791, 11792, 11793, 11794 ... 13784  Next