Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], john1, mcquilkie, Rich and 289 guests

Post #513321  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:18 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I think James from Gunnerblog got it right: the officiating was not good and neither was our attack.

Yes. But the shocking goal now changes the total narrative on the game. MOTD did a piece on how Newcastle nullified our wingers - all true. But if that game finished 0-0 as it should have you could have done a piece on how very very good Arsenal were defensively as well. Newcastle would have ended the game without a single shot on target. This morning I’m reading how Newcastle deserved to win and simply wanted it more.

Post #513322  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:53 am 

kiwipete wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Hello Kiwi !!!!!!!

Greetings G7 ...still running the Raffles Hotel ?

yes, into the ground :42laughter:

Together with my missus, we visited your beautiful country a few weeks back. We enjoyed it so much. Extremely cold for us, but worth it.

Post #513323  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:59 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I think James from Gunnerblog got it right: the officiating was not good and neither was our attack.

Sadly, our attacks are too slow. I think teams know how we like to find that perfect pass, and they crowd us out. Look at the double teaming on both flanks. Jesus, if he is on the field, would try to help Saka/Martinelli/Trossard out by coming outwards to receive the ball from them. Sadly, Nketiah does not do enough of that. He prefers to stay in the box and await a goal a scoring opportunity.

Post #513324  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:08 am 

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Yes. But the shocking goal now changes the total narrative on the game. MOTD did a piece on how Newcastle nullified our wingers - all true. But if that game finished 0-0 as it should have you could have done a piece on how very very good Arsenal were defensively as well. Newcastle would have ended the game without a single shot on target. This morning I’m reading how Newcastle deserved to win and simply wanted it more.

Well the media are talking rubbish with that agenda. Putting aside this game I am concerned about the lack of cohesion between midfield and attack. And midfield are just as much to blame as the attack because they are not slotting killer passes and are slow to release. The game yesterday looked a lot like an Emery game at our club where you fail to create but have possession for long periods of the game. We needed an option B forward in the last transfer period and did not even look to secure one. Things could still come together for us to challenge but if we are not careful and drop further points, City & Liverpool will be heading off in the distance. Solid wins in our next 4 games may calm the anxiety.

Post #513325  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:09 am 

warrior wrote:
Nice to see you back Kiwi .... :58big-emoticons:

Shame it's after that loss. Clearly you jinxed it. :toothy9:

thanks Rog ...was actually going to post something regarding the Sheffield Game but just as I was conjuring up something visionary and insightful a mate arrived wanted his trailer welded :

Post #513326  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:13 am 

It was a game very similar to city where it’s on a knife edge and 1 team would sneak it. We were deprived of that chance because of one of the most bent decisions I’ve ever seen.

Everyone who watches the premier league knows it’s all about the first goal. When and how it arrives changes football matches and that made the decision even harder to accept.

The game reminded me a bit of when Newcastle got 2 very weak pens in that 4 4 comeback at st James that time. Just so so weak

I agree with Chris in that the refs let some games lose control and this one in particular turn into a nonsense spectacle with the Newcastle players clearly being told to rough ours up and we’re allowed to with impunity.

Post #513327  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:16 am 

Decaf wrote:
Indeed. Ban him forthwith.

We can't have this Kiwi loser mentality spreading from the rugby and cricket to the Arsenal.

Hold on just one tooting minute here Oh Great Slayer of Warthogs

.... the NZ rugby league team gave the world champion Aussies a proper touch up yesterday ....... 30 - 0

Post #513328  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:29 am 

St James park and goodison. The 2 grounds over the years where I always find the refs are totally compromised by the home crowd.

We always get the *%^@ kicked out of us in those grounds and even at Newcastle last year it happened too but we just happened to win. The fixtures always seem to involve an early or late kick off with their orcs screaming about the injustice of every decision whilst their players pretend it’s the UFC

Post #513329  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:55 am 

gooner7 wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Greetings G7 ...still running the Raffles Hotel ?

yes, into the ground :42laughter:

Together with my missus, we visited your beautiful country a few weeks back. We enjoyed it so much. Extremely cold for us, but worth it.

Glad you enjoyed it , I didn't really appreciate it until I saw it through the mother in laws eyes when she came out from England about twenty five years ago .

:icon_mrgreen: Wouldn't want to ruin your impressions you might send a few more Singaporeans out here with their great wads of cash ; but behind the facade things aren't as rosy as they seem .

Post #513330  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:02 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Imo we are not watching the beautiful game of football. The weaker refs have allowed the game to develop a hybrid game where physical conduct is now assumed to be part of the game and in some cases 'the game'.

How many times in this game did we see a Newcastle player run into the back of ourplayer anjd give them a shove and then protest thay did nothing?

Every tackle now is an excuse to take out our player. What used to be a simple ankle tap has now been a a tackle to get the ball and leave the player sprawled on the ground.

It';s the worst possible thing you could do to a team trying to play football, breaks up our rhythm and leaves a piece of our player behind.

This physicality has been a regular thing against us and more and more teams are realising it and doing the same.

I feel like I am no longer enjoying watching us play and I no longer look forward to seeing us play.

I blame the refs and the FA, why are they allowing it to happen?

Spot on. There is so little consistency in managing the physical side.

I can't see why VAR can't get more involved with yellows. Not least, VAR officials are somewhat isolated from the pressures and noise of the ground.

1. if something is reviewed by VAR as a red and not given, they need to give or rescind the yellow as necessary. Players are getting yellows for the silliest things and not getting yellows for borderline red card tackles even when these are reviewed just because the ref didn't give a yellow.

2. This is particular necessary where refs play advantage and therefore let bad tackles go.

There is no need for VAR to interrupt the game on these, or to have the pantomime of the ref looking the screen. If a yellow needs to be awarded, the ref can do it at the next break in play.

Post #513331  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:05 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

He's right, Gaz. For all the gnashing of teeth about the decision we had 60% of the possession, 80% in the latter stages, and had one shot on target in the entire match.

That's nowhere near good enough.

Teams are doubling up on Saka and Martinelli and we are struggling to create quality chances and turn possessional domination into goals. Nketiah was shite but then so was the service to him.

Post #513332  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:05 am 

If you want another example of a home decision have a look at the spot kick Sheffield United got. Appalling

Post #513333  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:05 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Indeed. Ban him forthwith.

We can't have this Kiwi loser mentality spreading from the rugby and cricket to the Arsenal.

.... the NZ rugby league team gave the world champion Aussies a proper touch up yesterday ....... 30 - 0

yeah shift to minor sports like rugby league, ping pong, and tiddlywinks now that the cricket and rugby are going so poorly :laughing7: :laughing7:

Post #513334  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:13 am 

socrates wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

He's right, Gaz. For all the gnashing of teeth about the decision we had 60% of the possession, 80% in the latter stages, and had one shot on target in the entire match.

That's nowhere near good enough.

Teams are doubling up on Saka and Martinelli and we are struggling to create quality chances and turn possessional domination into goals. Nketiah was shite but then so was the service to him.

Eddie actually had a decent game for him I thought. The actual truth is in these games there are few clear cut chances and we aren’t a side that likes to pull the trigger unless there’s a real opportunity to score. Examining shots on target stats really doesn’t tell the story. The game was a carbon copy of the city match and you aren’t going to steam roller teams in the top 6. If the ref hadn’t done his party piece I kind of fancied us to Nick that game somehow.

Post #513335  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:17 am 

Also we need to bite the bullet on Havertz and actually play him most games. He’s not perfect but he’s probably the best we have in the left 8 position and when we play Rice there we tend to lose something. Needs to start

Like wise I would like to start seeing Trossard starting as the 9 away from home if Jesus isn’t fit. Just feels we need to try something different up top.

Post #513336  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:30 am 

Remember the ‘foul’ the ref gave against Cédric v Son in that crucial match v spurs. Pundits lined up to say that was fine. But now some pundits are lining up to say nothing wrong with Joelinton’s two hands in the back of Gabriel

Post #513337  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:38 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
It was a game very similar to city where it’s on a knife edge and 1 team would sneak it. We were deprived of that chance because of one of the most bent decisions I’ve ever seen.

Everyone who watches the premier league knows it’s all about the first goal. When and how it arrives changes football matches and that made the decision even harder to accept.

The game reminded me a bit of when Newcastle got 2 very weak pens in that 4 4 comeback at st James that time. Just so so weak

I agree with Chris in that the refs let some games lose control and this one in particular turn into a nonsense spectacle with the Newcastle players clearly being told to rough ours up and we’re allowed to with impunity.

The fans were up for it after the Havertz tackle and there was no way the ref was going to risk that ratching up 10 notches by sending Bruno off. But strangely there never seems to be a problem sending our players off in matches at The emirates

Post #513338  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:42 am 

We miss Partey and Jesus massively. And we didn’t strengthen enough in the summer to compensate for it.
If teams are doubling up on Saka and Martinelli then there must be more space in the middle, we’re not moving the ball quickly enough to take advantage. Partey is huge for us in this respect and an on form Ødegaard.

Post #513339  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:51 pm 

Guess which team is on at Saturday 5:30pm again next week?

Post #513340  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:16 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
St James park and goodison. The 2 grounds over the years where I always find the refs are totally compromised by the home crowd.

We always get the *%^@ kicked out of us in those grounds and even at Newcastle last year it happened too but we just happened to win. The fixtures always seem to involve an early or late kick off with their orcs screaming about the injustice of every decision whilst their players pretend it’s the UFC

Agree with this. It’s the combination of teams who want to be physical/kick and being the underdog but not a terrible team and a noisy stadium - or specifically fans who are noisy for tackles and against the ref (not necessarily cheering on attacks)
I expect the villa away game to be pretty similar to these two.

The rare interviews ex refs give shows what we all knew. Mike Dean deciding not to intervene a clear red card in order to protect his mate. Mark Clattenberg deciding to not send of spurs players v Chelsea for fear of inflaming a tricky game and emotional crowd

Post #513341  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:46 pm 

Arsenal have released a statement backing up what Arteta said. People will and already have absolutely lay in to Arteta, sore loser etc, but actually if you look back Arteta has been hugely restrained in his criticism of officials despite the horrific decisions we’ve had to contend with.
Just this season we’ve had potentially game changing decisions or goals, penalties and red cards in games bs Man U, Man City, Chelsea and Newcastle. That’s 4 of our big rivals for top 4.

Post #513342  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:07 pm 

Two of the most influential pundits in football Carragher and Neville are ridiculing Arsenal and Arteta. Carragher saying he is still searching for why Arteta is unhappy about the goal! Two things, we obviously know it would be different if Man U or Liverpool were on the end of this decision - but as pundits not fans they need to put their bias for their club and rivals of their club aside, secondly to dismiss that there’s even anything up for debate at all is basically just trolling.

Also the entire focus has been on the goal and not Bruno Guimaraes actions through the game. This is the far worse decision of them all because there is no room to manoeuvre for var on this. Clear deliberate act to raise his arm and thrust it in to the head of another player with no attempt to make a tackle or play the ball. The rules are so black and white for this issue.

Post #513343  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:23 pm 

They don’t like Arteta

He’s talented and disrupted the footballing hierarchy. They look for chances to dig him out no matter how small.

He’s not doing everything perfectly but have they seen a problem here for their sides and find nonsense to dig him out on.

Post #513344  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:36 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
They don’t like Arteta

He’s talented and disrupted the footballing hierarchy. They look for chances to dig him out no matter how small.

He’s not doing everything perfectly but have they seen a problem here for their sides and find nonsense to dig him out on.

Utter rubbish. No won dislikes him. We are Arsenal. We are the hierarchy. We were the original super club before anyone else. We were winning trophies in the 30s when Manure and Liverpool were almost unknown. Pretty much everyone last year, outside of Tottenham or Chelsea wanted us to win and stop City. They'd be more than happy to see us win this time. Red Cafe does a poll every year as to which team they'd like to see win if Manchester United can't. We top it every time. Crap decisions yesterday but teams end up after 38 games where they belong.

Right now upfront is where we are weak and I see the old tendency of not shooting returning. Twice Rice was scampering forward and at the edge of the box instead of shooting he opted to pass which took the ball wide and the attack petered out.

Post #513345  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:39 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
They don’t like Arteta

Utter rubbish. No won dislikes him. We are Arsenal. We are the hierarchy. We were the original super club before anyone else. We were winning trophies in the 30s when Manure and Liverpool were almost unknown. Pretty much everyone last year, outside of Tottenham or Chelsea wanted us to win and stop City. They'd be more than happy to see us win this time. Red Cafe does a poll every year as to which team they'd like to see win if Manchester United can't. We top it every time. Crap decisions yesterday but teams end up after 38 games where they belong.

Right now upfront is where we are weak and I see the old tendency of not shooting returning. Twice Rice was scampering forward and at the edge of the box instead of shooting he opted to pass which took the ball wide and the attack petered out.

If you think carragher and Neville are rooting for Mikel you are as stupid as you always sound. Haha congratulations.

Post #513346  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:20 pm 

Hmmmm Luton 1-0 Liverpool, in to the last few minutes.

Post #513347  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:22 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
They don’t like Arteta

I’m sure Arteta has some support in the media but he’s definitely rattled some cages. Just think of all the attacks on him for basically doing hat any other manager is doing….encouraging his team, instructing his team and doing this from a yard outside his technical area

Post #513348  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:32 pm 

We need to make moves in the next 4, just look at the fixtures compared to others.

Arsenal: Burnley (h), Brentford (a), wolves (h) Luton (a)

Man C: chelsea (a), Liverpool (h) spurs (h) villa (a)

Spurs: wolves (a), villa (h) Man City (a) West Ham (h)

Liverpool: Brentford (h) Man City (a) Fulham (h) sheff utd (a)

Man U: Luton (h), Everton (a), Newcastle (a), Chelsea (h)

Newcastle: B’mouth (a) chelsea (h), Man U (h), Everton (a)

We need to get 12 points from our fixtures then we’d be picking up plenty of points on the others as they all play each other and have other tricky games as well

Post #513349  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:28 pm 

https://x.com/mikemakescomps/status/172 ... -j6VVZXEoA

Ok so I know the bar is set quite low right now but Havertz probably had his best game for us yesterday. Fine for people to question his signing but people should also point out that was an improvement. I think there will be an agenda against Havertz in the media all season no matter what he does, it will be the same for Raya. Good games or moments glossed over and mistakes focussed on only.

Post #513350  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:16 pm 

Rich wrote:
https://x.com/mikemakescomps/status/1721162608852545756?s=46&t=fkwaCrtFB5yR-j6VVZXEoA

Ok so I know the bar is set quite low right now but Havertz probably had his best game for us yesterday. Fine for people to question his signing but people should also point out that was an improvement. I think there will be an agenda against Havertz in the media all season no matter what he does, it will be the same for Raya. Good games or moments glossed over and mistakes focussed on only.

16 competitive matches for us this season and one goal that was gifted by his teammates. Slow at times, fails to pick out team mates and is our highest paid player. He’d want to f%&$#n improve.

Post #513351  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:31 pm 

There are players in the league now and historically who for whatever reason are officiated differently from others - consistently. Whether it’s the player or the team I don’t know but we all know what Kane was allowed to get away with. We know what Xhaka was punished with…and Pogba - public enemy No.1. Rodri is another who is allowed multiple cynical fouls and Bruno Guimaraes joins that club, on top of last night he should have been sent off in the 2-2 draw with West Ham for a stupidly clear second yellow. Add in the penalty Newcastle we’re given v wolves and it’s 3 favourable decisions in 4 games for the team the prem makes sure are always on at peak Saudi viewing time and whose owners employ prem refs to go and guest ref Saudi games all expenses paid. I’ve never thought the league is corrupt but these refs are as sure as hell bias in the way they treat certain players and teams.

We have Michael Owen chirping in that there was nothing wrong with the game and the only disgrace is Arteta. Given he’s the tough host and interviewer picked to grill Howard Webb on the ref show he surely couldn’t have received a bit of a chat to not fan the flames- same goes for Neville and Carragher- all very pally with Webb.

Post #513352  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:04 pm 

Arteta is taking huge amounts of abuse for the Havertz signing. Will Klopp get the same treatment for not signing a proper defensive midfielder for Liverpool, or signing one (endo) and then not trusting him and playing max allister there?

Managers sign players that don’t work out but I’ve never seen a manager being called out that his signings are a vanity project like Arteta has.

Post #513353  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:12 pm 

There was a moment in the game that I see from time to time and it leaves a real sour taste in the mouth when players do it. Newcastle we’re given a free kick and Havertz was nearby - probably complaining about the free kick, Newcastle (and I think it was Bruno) desperately tried to take the free kick quickly and kick it straight at Havertz to try to get him sent off for stopping the restart. Now the ball was still moving but also there is absolutely no chance that this was a genuine attempt to take a quick free kick it was purely to get a player sent off. It’s utterly pathetic and says a lot about a players character

Post #513354  Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:49 pm 

Gary Neville says Arsenals statement ‘undermines the entire refereeing community’

What was it that Micah Richards said ‘I don’t know why but when it’s Arsenal everyone just seems to jump in’

There’s so much recent history on this.
The covid postponement that everyone was doing suddenly became a huge problem when we did it
Over celebrating goals
Managers outside their technical area
Clubs complaining about poor decisions

Ask yourself which team has been the poster boys for each of these. Why?

Post #513355  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:33 am 

Decaf wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

yeah shift to minor sports like rugby league, ping pong, and tiddlywinks now that the cricket and rugby are going so poorly :laughing7: :laughing7:

Okay ... let's put a Kinzhal into this flaky offering .... rugby league is far bigger than rugby in Australia .... and as for the cricket we ran the Aussies and Indians close we've beaten England Sri Lanka Bangladesh Afghanistan .

Your lot lost to the Netherlands :14laughter:

Post #513356  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:45 am 

I thought at the start of the season at last we have a serious decent squad . Back up and quality in every position ...... Yikes now after the Newcastle game we look positively threadbare . I still think we play far to many "safe " passes . Back and forth across the back

The reason Martinelli and Saka were so ineffective is because they don't get the ball earlier enough .

Could rightfully be said Havertz had his best game , put it in tackles worked hard BUT is that what he was bought for ....?

I'd have thought he was there to score goals and provide quality assists .

Post #513357  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:10 am 

This is what Gary Neville had to say about the referee in the Eng v France World Cup game. He called him a joke and a disgrace. But now he comes at Arteta saying he’s ‘undermined the entire refereeing community’…..community!!?
The sooner Neville buggers off in to politics the better

Attachments:

Post #513358  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:11 am 

Weekend’s finished. Sevilla next up. A home game. Time to move forward and get closer to qualification.

Post #513359  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:12 am 

Rich wrote:
This is what Gary Neville had to say about the referee in the Eng v France World Cup game. He called him a joke and a disgrace. But now he comes at Arteta saying he’s ‘undermined the entire refereeing community’…..community!!?
The sooner Neville buggers off in to politics the better

Is that how low politics has got in your country.

Post #513360  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:15 am 

I have a fear with our back ups players that they are only suited to a small proportion of games in the league, specifically those at home against weak opposition who will sit off and give us lots of time on the ball. Nketiah and Vieira are the two who immediately spring to mind but there are others.
When Timber is back I think the options and quality in defence are pretty darn good, but in midfield and attack we certainly lack pace and power. Any team is going to really miss the likes of Partey, Ødegaard and Jesus but the back ups need to be better and need to be closer to the profile and ability of those they replace. A squad of 22 top class players is impossible, but we need more than the 12/13 top class players we have and we desperately need to keep them all fit.

Most season the teams who do well or win things are the teams with the best injury record

[ 518931 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12831, 12832, 12833, 12834, 12835, 12836, 12837 ... 12974  Next