Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:04 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 290 guests

Post #513321  Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:47 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
grantyboy wrote:
Sign Aouar as well and I think the midfield has a bit more dynamism and also cover for injuries. And that would probably wrap up a pretty good transfer window on the additions even if we couldn't offload a few at the same time.

Not necessarily a good idea apparently

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... i-21339774

Ifrom what I read it seems like a pretty good idea. :). I saw some stats on the twitter respnse to Ødegaard in the Arsenal website which also shows he has a lot of the things that Ødegaard doesn't. Especially the ability to take people on and drive forwards from the midfield. He's pretty much one footed but I could see a lot more movement in attack if both he and Ødegaard were on the field.

Post #513322  Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:56 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
rotterdamnation wrote:

Went to Feyenoord - Elfsborg last night in the Conference, your boys took a hell of a beating!

Elfsborg is actually geographically the closest top team to where I grew up. Never liked them though - Borås is one of the worst cities in Sweden too.

So are you a country lad then? I had you pegged a city slicker, rather than someone who would know one end of a pig from the other. :laughing7:

Post #513323  Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:32 pm 

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ssion=true
Depressing

Post #513324  Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:47 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2021/aug/20/arsenal-fans-need-mikel-arteta-to-work-out-what-he-is-trying-to-do?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium=&utm_source=Twitter&__twitter_impression=true
Depressing

It really isn’t.

We have all the challenges of a very young side currently and we are very much in a moment of transition but we’ve spent more money than ever and had to acquire very shrewdly. some exciting young players have been brought in for the new season.

If you can’t get excited about a London Derby or our first home game then it’s time to find another pastime and you need to take a serious look at yourself. Football is fun

The only thing depressing is listening to people harp on. Let it play out and when it’s proven things haven’t worked out changes will occur.

Post #513325  Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:08 pm 

Maybe memories of Sylvestre haunted Wenger? Arsenal: Where past it MUFC defenders come to die.
Or would he have been useful?

https://www.eurosport.com/football/premier-league/2021-2022/arsene-wenger-rejected-rio-ferdinand-when-the-defender-wanted-arsenal-move_sto8497040/story.shtml

ARSENE WENGER REJECTED RIO FERDINAND WHEN THE DEFENDER WANTED ARSENAL MOVE

Post #513326  Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:30 pm 

Decaf wrote:
So are you a country lad then? I had you pegged a city slicker, rather than someone who would know one end of a pig from the other. :laughing7:

Nah, more small town than country. More of a city slicker these days, been living in Stockholm for the past ten years. Never had any pets nor farm animals at the house growing up!

Post #513327  Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:51 pm 

Seaman
"I was England’s number three at the World Cup in 1990, Ramsdale has just done the same (at the Euros).

“I started getting a load of stick because the fans didn’t want me. They were all singing ‘Lukic is better than Seaman’ and ‘You’ll never play for Arsenal’.

I hope the negative abuse Ramsdale has received online really galvanises the fans that go to the matches to get behind him

Post #513328  Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:45 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gunfire wrote:
https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2021/aug/20/arsenal-fans-need-mikel-arteta-to-work-out-what-he-is-trying-to-do?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium=&utm_source=Twitter&__twitter_impression=true
Depressing

It really isn’t.

We have all the challenges of a very young side currently and we are very much in a moment of transition but we’ve spent more money than ever and had to acquire very shrewdly. some exciting young players have been brought in for the new season.

If you can’t get excited about a London Derby or our first home game then it’s time to find another pastime and you need to take a serious look at yourself. Football is fun

The only thing depressing is listening to people harp on. Let it play out and when it’s proven things haven’t worked out changes will occur.

It was more the tone of the article that depressed me.

Post #513329  Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:10 pm 

The Seaman quote is interesting. Don't really get the Ramsdale backlash. He's a back up keeper, not a starter. He may not be what some fans want and want a bit more quality but the level of acrimony doesn't quite make sense to me. I could understand if he was slated to start over Leno.

Post #513330  Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:30 pm 

I’ve thought about the Ramsdale signing some more, and looked at the pictures of his official signing when he’s with his family, and it makes me even more annoyed at the toxic crap some arsenal fans are giving him online. I will admit on this forum I have questioned his signing and am not certain he is up to the quality we need based on the very limited stats and videos I’ve seen……but let’s all take a step back and realise this is a 23 year old GK who has moved from Bournemouth, to Sheff Utd to The Arsenal. What a massive move for him and his family. We are a huge club and I bet Ramsdale is absolutely on cloud 9 to be in the Arsenal set up. We need to give him our full support on the pitch. Whether we are fans that attend games or support from afar he’s one of us now and he deserves the support of the Arsenal fanbase…..we maybe underestimate how influential we can be on a matchday

Post #513331  Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:11 am 

I've long heard how Man Utd fans are entitled. They think the world revolves around them and they are always the victim despite the facts (such as PKs given).

Arsenal fans aren't making themselves look civil. There are other situations before as well. Some of the antics from participants on the AFTV didn't make Arsenal fans look good either.

Tottenham fans used to be seen as deluded. Maybe still are. Chelsea fans ignored their success due to a Russian sugar daddy.

But we are looking worse and worse...and don't even have a good team to fall back on.

Post #513332  Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:28 am 

Welcome Ramsdale!

Post #513333  Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:33 am 

The first goal Ramsdale lets in may see over the top criticism, no matter if he had no chance. Some fans will be waiting for him to make a mistake. Not a good situation to come into.

Post #513334  Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:39 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Kin ell. We really have some low life ‘supporters’. Truly horrible. https://metro.co.uk/2021/08/19/aaron-ra ... sXCc2bCF8g

Don't know quite why but a lot of these so called supporters come across as idiots. Are they trolls or just opposition supporters trying to unsettle us,

Especially amongst the overseas supporters those eg supporting Saliba etc and saying from the beginning that Arteta should go. Fakes imo.

Post #513335  Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:17 am 

Reminiscing.

https://www.facebook.com/Arsenal/videos/752692151931064

Post #513336  Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:29 pm 

I always thought the “Visit Rwanda” adverts to be a bit surreal especially in recent times.

But this takes it up a whole notch. https://newsjust24all.com/mikel-arteta- ... IPHjS-1ZeE

Post #513337  Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:49 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
I always thought the “Visit Rwanda” adverts to be a bit surreal especially in recent times.

But this takes it up a whole notch. https://newsjust24all.com/mikel-arteta- ... IPHjS-1ZeE

:laughing7:
At times you have to wonder if this is real life. The Keanu reeves movie the matrix could actually be a documentary

Post #513338  Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:11 pm 

Switching between Villa vs Newcastle and Palace vs Brentford games Wishing Martinez, Willock and Vieira the best. Latter game I like both clubs but wanting Vieira to do well a bit more.

Post #513339  Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:52 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

:laughing7:
At times you have to wonder if this is real life. The Keanu reeves movie the matrix could actually be a documentary

It sometimes feels that way.

Post #513340  Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:53 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Switching between Villa vs Newcastle and Palace vs Brentford games Wishing Martinez, Willock and Vieira the best. Latter game I like both clubs but wanting Vieira to do well a bit more.

Never mind those games. It looks like we should be worrying about West Brom after 45 minutes so far today.

Post #513341  Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:10 pm 

Can’t disguise that I’m stupidly excited about tomorrow’s game.

Post #513342  Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:15 pm 

And I’m guessing for the first time since turn-up-and-pay was outlawed, an Arse v Chavs game is not sold out.

Sign of the times, I think.

Post #513343  Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:15 pm 

DHD wrote:

Not just us then !

My kids are absolutely buzzing about going to the game tomorrow.

I’m concerned they haven’t micro analysed the benefits of not signing a back up keeper enough.

Post #513344  Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:25 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:

Not just us then !

My kids are absolutely buzzing about going to the game tomorrow.

I’m concerned they haven’t micro analysed the benefits of not signing a back up keeper enough.

I was dreading Sunday's match. Anything is possible obviously. Make or break, here's to an exciting one!

Post #513345  Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:48 am 

long time gooner wrote:

Rwanda (and also Medellin, Colombia) are two places that are still trying to live down their place in history. Kigali (the capital) is actually a lovely place and one would never know that it was a place of a genocide. One of the fastest growing economies I hear as well, where entrepreneurism is big.

Medellin is a hidden gem I hope Americans don't discover because wed ruin it. Safe, friendly, even artsy in parts.

As for the article, the president is speaking as a fan but I would have cautioned him that from his platform he would have been wiser to keep the comments among friends at the local pub. I'm sure Akio Dangote the Nigerian billionaire we are often linked to as a possible buyer isn't happy with the performances but he knows wiser than to publicly berate the manager or club.

The Rwandan president let his emotion as a fan get the best of him.

Post #513346  Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:24 am 

DHD wrote:

I just want to get the d@mn thing over with. Not expecting anything out the game. Hate to sound like a pessimist. I'll be cheering us on, willing us on, but not expecting anything. A point would be nice. Too afraid of hoping for much more.

Where we are right now and where Chelsea is, at this time, I'm not too confident, even at home. I'm hoping having fans will make a bigger difference than it normally does.

Good luck to The Arsenal though, won't ever stop wishing and hoping.

Post #513347  Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:18 am 

Going for a 1-1 draw. Like to see us play a back 3 but I think if we play as well as we can then I think we will be right in this game. Home advantage and the knowledge we are playing a top side should make all the players play to their potential.

Post #513348  Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:29 am 

I am really looking forward to seeing how this season plays out.

If I had to sum up the signings this window I would say they are exciting, surprising, confusing and expensive.

If you had asked any fan at the end of the season who we might bring in this summer the names we have would probably not have featured very highly on anyone's list, apart from Ødegaard maybe.

I think most of us thought that youngish players with plenty of potential was the way forward but not many would have anticipated spending £50m on Ben White and £24m+ on Aaron Ramsdale. Our recruitment team have certainly put their money where their mouth is.

If we've got this right we might surprise a lot of people, if we haven't I suspect Arteta will be on his bike. I really wish we had more than one game a week because I think these signings will take time to bed-in and one game a week is not helpful in that respect, although it does allow more time on the training ground.

If I am honest, I worry where the goals will come from and wish we had brought in another striker or at the very least a goalscoring winger type. We may have to hope that Martinelli or Balogun come good, especially if Aubameyang fails to recapture his form.

I am not expecting too much this afternoon, if Aubameyang doesn't start I have little confidence in Martinelli or Balogun leading the line because at this moment in time neither seem anywhere near ready but perhaps they can surprise us.

Post #513349  Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:33 am 

Ben white has covid and will miss out, that’s what 4 or 5 players in 2 weeks now.

Like I said earlier this summer. This will be a major issue this season

Holding v Lukaku now

Post #513350  Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:16 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Ben white has covid and will miss out, that’s what 4 or 5 players in 2 weeks now.

Holding v Lukaku now

That’s a shame. The nicest thing one can say about White’s debut, in terms of his own performance rather than that of the team, is disappointing. Holding isn’t bad by any stretch of the imagination and he can have decent games. But I think it’s fair to see him as a bit underwhelming much of the time. Having him in the team instead of White, based purely on the latter’s reputation rather than how he played at Brentford, makes me less confident about the result than I was before reading your post.

Post #513351  Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:29 am 

So if White is out then we’re missing our first choice CB pairing, our main man in CM and our pair of senior strikers
Or £235m worth of players. Incredible really.

Post #513352  Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:53 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Holding v Lukaku now

:20hospitals:

Post #513353  Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:07 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Ben white has covid and will miss out

Where did you see that TG?

Post #513354  Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:22 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
The Seaman quote is interesting.

Hopefully my missus isn't reading the forum. She hates the mere mention of Seaman.

Post #513355  Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:25 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Going for a 1-1 draw. Like to see us play a back 3 but I think if we play as well as we can then I think we will be right in this game. Home advantage and the knowledge we are playing a top side should make all the players play to their potential.

I think we'll win this one but then again, Chelsea could just as easily take the 3 points.

That being said, a draw may be on the cards also.

Waves to AG

Post #513356  Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:30 pm 

warrior wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I think we'll win this one but then again, Chelsea could just as easily take the 3 points.

That being said, a draw may be on the cards also.

Waves to AG

Given my tipping skills, I will confidently predict we'll lose.
That should give us a chance.

Post #513357  Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:53 pm 

Forgive me, but I like Man Utds away kit today.

Post #513358  Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:01 pm 

Man U have gone 26 away games unbeaten in the league, the record is 27 held by the Invincibles team

Post #513359  Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:12 pm 

Kolasinac seems close to a move to Fenerbache. Unlikely to be much or any fee for us but getting his £100k off the books is key

Post #513360  Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:34 pm 

Leno, Tierney, Mari, Holding, Soares, Sambi Lokanga, Xhaka, Smith Rowe, Saka, Pépé, Martinelli.

Subs: Ramsdale, Aubameyang, Maitland-Niles, Tavares, Chambers, Nelson, Elneny, Balogun, Kolasinac

Lukaku starts for Chelsea

[ 551545 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12831, 12832, 12833, 12834, 12835, 12836, 12837 ... 13789  Next