Fixtures Sunday May 12th - Manchester United - Old Trafford - 4:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, warrior and 54 guests

Post #390521  Posted: Sat May 04, 2024 1:41 pm 

Arsenal's only dropped points this year is Man City draw away and the Villa loss. That is an incredible achievement.

The only players to be slightly off today were Gabriel and Raya. Raya probably looking the weakest of all. He just cant command the 6 yard box.

Aside from those minor gripes, every one of the 10 outfield players today had a shot. That is some coaching.

Post #390522  Posted: Sat May 04, 2024 1:43 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Havertz has been excellent today.

I bet Gabriel doesn't think so :laughing7: :laughing7:

:laughing7:
Probably best goal he'll ever not score.

Post #390523  Posted: Sat May 04, 2024 1:47 pm 

Hope I will be watching a Championship match on May 19 when my missus and I join all of you at the Emirates. Hope my missus becomes an Arsenal fan after this visit.
:26encouragement: :6encouragement:

Post #390524  Posted: Sat May 04, 2024 1:50 pm 

Ash wrote:
Wolves. I’ve always believed in you. Pep’s being chatting all sorts of disrespect about your mums. He said “She’s so so fat” I heard.

:42laughter:

Post #390525  Posted: Sat May 04, 2024 1:51 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rice pulled a 'Lampard' or 'Scholes' arriving in a late well timed run into the box. We really should have a set up where he has a freer role to go forward. He reads the game well.

He needs the people around him to do the DM role so he can get forward. same way as Xhaka could get forward with Partey behind. Rice now got Partey and the less commented Tomiyasu who is so much better defensively than Zinchenko behind Rice when he does go forward.

Rice is the most complete central midfielder I've seen for Arsenal since Vieira and I reckon he'll double his goals count next year.

Unsurprisingly, not a single comment in the media about how Arteta has changed tactics and formation to fit the players he has had all season. Especially on the left which has been been a real headache along with managing the 3rd youngest staring 11 in the PL (only Burnley and Chelsea younger).

Post #390526  Posted: Sat May 04, 2024 1:55 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Hope I will be watching a Championship match on May 19 when my missus and I join all of you at the Emirates. Hope my missus becomes an Arsenal fan after this visit.

What is stopping the Mrs now? :42laughter:

Post #390527  Posted: Sat May 04, 2024 2:41 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
Come on, that's an easy call. A foul on Raya.

Really ........The Puritan here again ; considering some of the tricks White employs that " foul " seemed pretty flaky .

I think we were lucky with both of those VAR. Both were going to stay with the onfield decision, whichever way that had gone. In real time, both Havertz and Raya look clearly fouled, but the replays suggested both were pretty borderline.

Post #390528  Posted: Sat May 04, 2024 2:54 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

What is stopping the Mrs now? :42laughter:

She is not a sports fan :42laughter:

Post #390529  Posted: Sat May 04, 2024 3:25 pm 

The Guardian in good form:

"Havertz’s first touch was so easy on the eye; ditto his gamboling style. He shimmered with menace ..."

Post #390530  Posted: Sat May 04, 2024 4:41 pm 

Ha. City immediately get given a b%*&s%*^ pen.

Post #390531  Posted: Sat May 04, 2024 4:47 pm 

Never have I seen a pen given in that situation. Attacker gets shot away then collides with defender going forward. It was as much the attackers forward momentum as the defender engaging. Why am I even watching? 1-0 win a decent result from our point of view from here. Calling 4-0 City.

Post #390532  Posted: Sat May 04, 2024 5:15 pm 

If we can win the remainder of our games and Man Utd is the big obstacle it will help volumes for next season. We know we can go head to head down the stretch. Had we just drawn with Villa...oh well. It is what it is. It would still mean having to win at Old Trafford but we'd play it like a cup final

Post #390533  Posted: Sat May 04, 2024 5:49 pm 

Decaf wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Really ........The Puritan here again ; considering some of the tricks White employs that " foul " seemed pretty flaky .

I think we were lucky with both of those VAR. Both were going to stay with the onfield decision, whichever way that had gone. In real time, both Havertz and Raya look clearly fouled, but the replays suggested both were pretty borderline.

That goal for Bournemouth should have stood. There is no way that foul should count. Barely touched Raya. I'd be furious if we were denied such a goal. I also thought Haavertz left a trailing leg. A foul that used to be called "professional".

Post #390534  Posted: Sat May 04, 2024 6:15 pm 

Decaf wrote:
The Guardian in good form:

"Havertz’s first touch was so easy on the eye; ditto his gamboling style. He shimmered with menace ..."

If we sign Toney, 'gamboling' will be spelled differently...

Post #390535  Posted: Sat May 04, 2024 6:27 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
If we can win the remainder of our games and Man Utd is the big obstacle it will help volumes for next season. We know we can go head to head down the stretch. Had we just drawn with Villa...oh well. It is what it is. It would still mean having to win at Old Trafford but we'd play it like a cup final

Every game is like a cup final but we are one nil down. Because the other team doesn't have to beat us to end our season.

Post #390536  Posted: Sun May 05, 2024 2:33 am 

We have made a lot of headway this season. First, we beat City. Psychologically it tells the squad they are as good and deserving of the title. Second, we didn't lose to them at all. 3 games (charity shield, both league matches) and City has only one goal. Amazing. There are three big milestones left in my mind. To win at City, Anfield and Old Trafford. The '98 team won at Old Trafford which we hadn't done in years. After '89, how many times have we won at Anfield? We get a lot of draws but no wins. And Old Trafford where we have only had 2 league wins in maybe 20 years and there have been some bad Man Utd teams.

Winning at City, I can wait on. For now, a draw. But Klopp said "Arsenal don't win at Anfield" and it stuck with me. No way we should have thrown away a 2-0 half time lead last season. I knew a 3rd goal would be needed. But I think if the same thing happened again, we'd win.

Right now if we can win next week, and then Everton it would be an amazing feat. Something to build on for next season. Even if we drop points at Old Trafford, its an amazing run.

Strange thing is we are a defensive juggernaut. Hasn't been since the '90s we were known for our defense primarily by reputation. We kinda still aren't. People bring up the defense after the fact but talk about our attack prior the games .

Post #390537  Posted: Sun May 05, 2024 4:42 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:

We needed to beat Villa to keep it in our hands. We were only a point ahead of City.

Post #390538  Posted: Sun May 05, 2024 5:59 am 

Ipswich back again. They have won a league title more recently than Spurs.

Post #390539  Posted: Sun May 05, 2024 1:01 pm 

I won't laugh at a Spurs defeat this time round. Would want them to beat Pool to stay in contention for ECL. They need to be competing still when up against City. Spurs win and Villa draw, best combination result for today. My take.

Post #390540  Posted: Sun May 05, 2024 1:06 pm 

Spurs have some big boys in the U18s.

Post #390541  Posted: Sun May 05, 2024 1:35 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
I won't laugh at a Spurs defeat this time round. Would want them to beat Pool to stay in contention for ECL. They need to be competing still when up against City. Spurs win and Villa draw, best combination result for today. My take.

Indeed! (although a Villa loss would be better). Apart from anything else, Spurs need to get a bit of form-- something at Anfield, then a nice confidence builder against Burnley, would be good preparation for facing City!

On the other hand, if they keep losing they are in serious danger of being caught by Newcastle and ending up in the Europa League. Not sure that would be sufficient motivation against City if the CL spot has already gone, though.

Post #390542  Posted: Sun May 05, 2024 2:36 pm 

I think the '98 run to the title was the best of the lot. We hadn't won the title roughly a decade and inbetween weren't playing well. Ferguson thought for sure we'd get some bad results. We were already a good team in 2002, clearly no worse than 2nd in the league. The surprise of that were the consecutive wins in both league and FA cup. '04 deserves its own category in its uniqueness.

This is no critique of this run. Its amazing. The '03 run in a losing effort was also good. If Chelsea and Tottenham keep their managers they will be much better next season. They will buy in the summer, and sell the grossly underperformers.

Man Utd is the only club I think may not improve much but everyone else will because of the money available. The mid table clubs are becoming very good at what Wenger originally did. They have bought hidden gems. With the onset of video and more money to scout, the Brightons, Newcastles, Villas of the league are finding players just on the cusp of being known.

Post #390543  Posted: Sun May 05, 2024 3:50 pm 

Decaf wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Indeed! (although a Villa loss would be better). Apart from anything else, Spurs need to get a bit of form-- something at Anfield, then a nice confidence builder against Burnley, would be good preparation for facing City!

On the other hand, if they keep losing they are in serious danger of being caught by Newcastle and ending up in the Europa League. Not sure that would be sufficient motivation against City if the CL spot has already gone, though.

Let's not do it to ourselves. These planks will only get something out of the City game by pure fluke. I'd have more hope in Fulham.

Post #390544  Posted: Sun May 05, 2024 4:17 pm 

dec wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Let's not do it to ourselves. These planks will only get something out of the City game by pure fluke. I'd have more hope in Fulham.

They're a shambles at the back. Liverpool are queuing up to score. 2-0. No way they stop City, unfortunately.

Post #390545  Posted: Sun May 05, 2024 4:52 pm 

Lincoln gooner wrote:
dec wrote:

They're a shambles at the back. Liverpool are queuing up to score. 2-0. No way they stop City, unfortunately.

Would be funny if the one game Spuds win is against City.

Post #390546  Posted: Sun May 05, 2024 4:53 pm 

Lincoln gooner wrote:
dec wrote:

All hopes with West Ham on the last day then :laughing7: I said that to a West Ham supporting mate as a joke and he laughed and then said, also no way because we don’t want Rice to win anything.

Post #390547  Posted: Sun May 05, 2024 5:02 pm 

Leverkusen or rather Neverlosing are up 3-1 away, comfortably. Fulham away are a potential banana peel for City. At this point of the season not as much of a banana peel if it were midseason. But you never know.

I feel more confident at Old Trafford this time than at any other time because they aren't playing well. This is the best Arsenal squad for maybe a decade give or take. We are in a must win mindset. With the draw at City, I think our squad feels they can go to any ground and win.

So, this season at Old Trafford is a wee bit different. We win there, it puts a lot of pressure on City, more than usual because they will go WHL with only 3 days rest. To a grounds they haven't done as well as they would like.

[ 390547 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9760, 9761, 9762, 9763, 9764