Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], john1, mcquilkie and 277 guests

Post #501441  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:41 am 

Rich wrote:
8 of Liverpool's best 11 made over 30 appearances in the premier league that season. This isn't the injury crisis it was made out to be

Surely it is, when you consider how good they were the season before and the season after? What was the difference in 20/21 compared to 19/20 and 21/22 if not injuries?

Post #501442  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:25 pm 

Post #501443  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:02 pm 

Rich wrote:
https://twitter.com/HLTCO/status/1579375589596991489?s=20&t=xe7xGm5dZrfCKbv3a_RsIw

Lookman was booked for this celebration. what has he done wrong? People are drawing conclusions that its the colour of his skin that means he's been booked for absolutely nothing

If he was booked in the EPL, Ligue Un and I'd include the Bundesliga, I'd rubbish going to the 'Race Card' but Serie A? I wouldn't be as quick to dismiss it as racial.

PS: add la Liga as well.

Post #501444  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:57 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:
8 of Liverpool's best 11 made over 30 appearances in the premier league that season. This isn't the injury crisis it was made out to be

Surely it is, when you consider how good they were the season before and the season after? What was the difference in 20/21 compared to 19/20 and 21/22 if not injuries?

So if injuries were the crucial difference how do you explain Liverpool this season compared to last, their entire first choice team has been pretty much fit all season, they lost Mané but signed one of the most sought after forwards in all of Europe.

Injuries isn't why Liverpool are 10th this season and nor is losing Mané, far too many of their players are bang out of form and low on confidence. As Wenger said with confidence you go up by the stairs and come down in the lift.

Injuries played their part in the 19/20 season but they only had 3Cb in their entire squad, it was an accident they could have prevented. We'd be fuming if we prepared for a season with only 3 fit CB 2 of whom were notoriously injury prone. Imagine our only central midfield options for a season were Ramsey, Wilshere and Diaby - we'd be hard pushed to cry when we were left with no CM's.

Liverpool without 3 Cb should not lose 6 consecutive home games to Burnley, brighton, City, Everton, chelsea and fulham.

How do you explain them losing 7-2 to Villa that season with a line up of Allison, Trent, Robertson, Vvd, gomes, fabinho, keita, wilandum, salah, firminho, jota. Go and look at the line ups they put out for that run of defeats, still very strong teams and as champions of England with 95+ points the season before those 3 injuries shouldnt have derailed them as much as it did. That all those defeats came in a quick cluster and they coped fine before and after further proves the point that they had a mentality problem at that time far more so than an injury problem.

This season
Arsenals 1st 11 have missed 8 games collectively through injury this season
Liverpool's first 11 have missed 12 games collectively through injury this season

They are simply not playing anywhere near the level they have shown before and they didn't play well in the 20/21 season either

Post #501445  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:06 pm 

Rich wrote:
So if injuries were the crucial difference how do you explain Liverpool this season compared to last, their entire first choice team has been pretty much fit all season, they lost Mané but signed one of the most sought after forwards in all of Europe.

We're just 9 games in. 9 games into the 20/21 season, Man City was in 13th place with just 12 points.

The point is, without that bad streak of injuries I'm certain Liverpool would've been the team that challenged Man City once again. Looking at the two previous season and the one that followed I don't think that's an unreasonable claim, and I don't think that season alone tarnishes their legacy as a great team.

Post #501446  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:13 pm 

The fixture list has been somewhat kind to us that we've played two huge games at home where we're much stronger v the big sides and allowed us to keep the early momentum going. Who knows where we'd be if we'd had to play the last two games at WHL and Anfield. Everyone has to play everyone home and away but there are always little ways the fixture list can be a bit kinder to you.

Post #501447  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:22 pm 

Rich wrote:
They are simply not playing anywhere near the level they have shown before and they didn't play well in the 20/21 season either

Danny Murphy, a pundit I have respect for, suggested on MOTD2 last night that Liverpool players have simply lost some of their determination to win. That wasn’t the expression he used, but it was words to that effect. He felt it was a question of mentality. They’ve lost something in their attitude.

Danny Murphy knows a lot more about Liverpool than I do. He watches them more than me, as well as formerly playing for and supporting them. But if he’s right, I wonder if Klopp will have to do some sort of clear out and bring new faces in?

Post #501448  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:22 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Good man Arteta.

If the idea of racism potentially being covered up gives you a boner it’s seriously time to look inwards a bit.

The FA is investigating as per your link so staying schtum is the correct decision by Mikel.

Post #501449  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:26 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:

We're just 9 games in. 9 games into the 20/21 season, Man City was in 13th place with just 12 points.

The point is, without that bad streak of injuries I'm certain Liverpool would've been the team that challenged Man City once again. Looking at the two previous season and the one that followed I don't think that's an unreasonable claim, and I don't think that season alone tarnishes their legacy as a great team.

Hi Haz,

Weren't Liverpool something like 12 points behind City early last season and then a tremendous runs of wins enabled them to close the gap and eventually challenge for an unprecedented quadruple, or did I dream that?

9 games in is nothing. There are a lot of tough pleaces left to go inluding City, Anfield, Stamford Bridge, WHL, Newcastle, West Ham etc?

Post #501450  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:32 pm 

Bernard wrote:
On the way home from the game I read some of the messages posted during it. I think the first half display wasn’t anything like as bad as some were claiming. There was a period after Darwin scored the equaliser until we scored our second at the end of the half that Liverpool dominated possession. But until then, I felt we were deservedly in front. The first half was NOT one sided in Liverpool’s favour.

Some of the comments were pure, unadulterated hyperbole. I have respect for the opinions of socrates, but when he said Partey, Xhaka and Ødegaard were being outclassed, he might well have claimed the earth is flat. Arsenal outplayed Liverpool to a greater extent in the second half, and for a lot longer of it, than Liverpool’s temporary period of being on top in the first. But there was no mention in the second half of Henderson, Thiago and whoever their equivalent of Ødegaard is being outclassed.

Hi Bernard,

Outclassed is maybe the wrong word, outplayed is perhaps more apt for that period just after the goal and before we went ahead again.

Liverpool dominated possession and an equaliser seemed inevitable and eventally arrived. We barely layed a glove on them in that period and when we did win it back we lost all composure and just gave it back to them. Partey and Ødegaard were anonymous and poor when they did get an occasional touch.

2nd half was a different story but I reckon prime Liverpool with Mané, Firmino and Salah firing on all cyclinders would have scored a couple more in that 1st half period of domination.

Post #501451  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:58 pm 

socrates wrote:
Bernard wrote:
On the way home from the game I read some of the messages posted during it. I think the first half display wasn’t anything like as bad as some were claiming. There was a period after Darwin scored the equaliser until we scored our second at the end of the half that Liverpool dominated possession. But until then, I felt we were deservedly in front. The first half was NOT one sided in Liverpool’s favour.

Some of the comments were pure, unadulterated hyperbole. I have respect for the opinions of socrates, but when he said Partey, Xhaka and Ødegaard were being outclassed, he might well have claimed the earth is flat. Arsenal outplayed Liverpool to a greater extent in the second half, and for a lot longer of it, than Liverpool’s temporary period of being on top in the first. But there was no mention in the second half of Henderson, Thiago and whoever their equivalent of Ødegaard is being outclassed.

Hi Bernard,

Outclassed is maybe the wrong word, outplayed is perhaps more apt for that period just after the goal and before we went ahead again.

Liverpool dominated possession and an equaliser seemed inevitable and eventally arrived. We barely layed a glove on them in that period and when we did win it back we lost all composure and just gave it back to them. Partey and Ødegaard were anonymous and poor when they did get an occasional touch.

2nd half was a different story but I reckon prime Liverpool with Mané, Firmino and Salah firing on all cyclinders would have scored a couple more in that 1st half period of domination.

Up until their first goal I simply didn’t think an equaliser seemed inevitable. I felt we were deservedly in front at the point Darwin scored. Prime Liverpool may no longer exist, considering Danny Murphy’s comments. All you can do is play the team in front of you.

We’ve got Leeds next week. If prime Leeds of the late 60s early 70s under Don Revie were the opposition and were using all the modern training techniques, dietary regimes and so on used in the modern game, they’d possibly beat us comfortably. But we’ll be up against the modern Leeds.

Yesterday we were up against the current Liverpool. If they’re not as good as prime Liverpool, I’m happy with how we deservedly beat them yesterday.

Post #501452  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:23 pm 

Some rumblings in Brazil that Arsenal and Martinelli are confident of reaching an extension until 2028. Great news if it happens, he's hitting another level this season.

Post #501453  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:25 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Danny Murphy, a pundit I have respect for, suggested on MOTD2 last night that Liverpool players have simply lost some of their determination to win. That wasn’t the expression he used, but it was words to that effect. He felt it was a question of mentality. They’ve lost something in their attitude.

Danny Murphy knows a lot more about Liverpool than I do. He watches them more than me, as well as formerly playing for and supporting them. But if he’s right, I wonder if Klopp will have to do some sort of clear out and bring new faces in?

I've heard it suggested that due to the brand of football Klopp plays and the demands and intensity he puts on his players that his style of management with the same group has a shelf life as they effectively burn out. I can see the logic in it with Klopp's 'heavy metal' football, and that this team has pretty much stayed intact and relatively unchanged for 4-5 seasons now.
I think the first big mistake Klopp made in the market was not buying to replace Winaldum, he was hugely underated but was a workhorse in that midfield 3 and did a lot of very effective things to allow others to shine. Klopp eventually bought in Thiago who is quite different to the type of midfielder he usually has which is perhaps a little bit less cultured on the ball but hounds and presses, is athletic and gets it forward quick and wins those 2nd balls that are sent long to their forwards. Thiago is a dictator of play, a cute passer but isn't necessarily suited to the heavy metal high tempo.

Post #501454  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:27 pm 

Saka has goals against all the other big 6 teams in the league, still only 21. 3 goals and 5 assists in the league this season and many think he's not played that well. My view is he's simply got more players sharing the burden now!

Post #501455  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:32 pm 

https://twitter.com/eduardohagn/status/ ... k9fmVyy-aA

With all the chat around the Gabriel handball not being given a penalty I had t seen it suggested that the ball hit Gabriel’s chest before it hit his hand. This replay does make a pretty good case for the call rebounding off his chest first. If it does then that changes everything as i think it’s in the rules that a deflection off a ‘valid’ part of your body negates the handball

Post #501456  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:34 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Good man Arteta.

If the idea of racism potentially being covered up gives you a boner it’s seriously time to look inwards a bit.

I don't think it's MA's call to divulge what went down explicitly from what Michael Oliver may have conveyed to him and Klopp. Also, one other thing that wasn't mentioned, may have been an ethnic/nationality slur from Henderson. Being that Gabriel and Firmino are Brazilian. The look on Firmino's face at Henderson possibly indicated as much, which riled up Gabriel enough to engage in a heated exchange. As such, being that there are Brazilians playing for both sides, Henderson just might have made a derogatory comment about their so called commeraderie over Oliver's decision. Oh sure, both players are rivals on PL sides, but an improper ethnic/nationality slur by Henderson wouldn't go down well irregardless, let one a racist one.

Post #501457  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:02 pm 

We've only drawn 3 of our last 53 premier league games.

Our last 38 prem results across 2 seasons gives us 79 points

Post #501458  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:25 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I've heard it suggested that due to the brand of football Klopp plays and the demands and intensity he puts on his players that his style of management with the same group has a shelf life as they effectively burn out. I can see the logic in it with Klopp's 'heavy metal' football, and that this team has pretty much stayed intact and relatively unchanged for 4-5 seasons now.
I think the first big mistake Klopp made in the market was not buying to replace Winaldum, he was hugely underated but was a workhorse in that midfield 3 and did a lot of very effective things to allow others to shine. Klopp eventually bought in Thiago who is quite different to the type of midfielder he usually has which is perhaps a little bit less cultured on the ball but hounds and presses, is athletic and gets it forward quick and wins those 2nd balls that are sent long to their forwards. Thiago is a dictator of play, a cute passer but isn't necessarily suited to the heavy metal high tempo.

That does make sense regarding Klopp’s style of football burning players out. Similar used to be said of Bielsa’s Leeds, who often seemed to struggle later in the season.

With Arsenal playing such high energy football now, is there a danger of something similar happening to us?

Post #501459  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:33 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Liverpool almost winning the CL and almost winning the league after coping with the massive pressure of trying to match City. That has to take its toll. I think its something that happens, and isn't permanent. We also failed to win back to back league titles in modern times, when we should have probably at least twice.

Post #501460  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:37 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

That does make sense regarding Klopp’s style of football burning players out. Similar used to be said of Bielsa’s Leeds, who often seemed to struggle later in the season.

With Arsenal playing such high energy football now, is there a danger of something similar happening to us?

That definitely a factor in Liverpool's case. They played an insane number of games last season, all at 100 miles an hour.

I think the mental burnout is more of a factor, though. I doubt that will happen to us this season.

Post #501461  Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:42 am 

It’s strange when fans bait each other with how much or how little their side has spent they tend to focus almost exclusively on transfer fees. I read yesterday that Haaland’s wage at City once you include all his very easy to attain bonuses is close to £800k a week! Across a 4 year contract that is £166m in wages. So yes the transfer fee as it was a release clause at £51m is going to look great in that particular column but his wages (if that figure is right) is probably the combined wage of our 5 highest earners!

Post #501462  Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:51 am 

Rich wrote:
It’s strange when fans bait each other with how much or how little their side has spent they tend to focus almost exclusively on transfer fees. I read yesterday that Haaland’s wage at City once you include all his very easy to attain bonuses is close to £800k a week! Across a 4 year contract that is £166m in wages. So yes the transfer fee as it was a release clause at £51m is going to look great in that particular column but his wages (if that figure is right) is probably the combined wage of our 5 highest earners!

How many fans bait each other about how little their club spends? Perhaps some may use it as an excuse but it’s quite the reverse for me. As stated here many times, I’ve become far more comfortable with the Kroenke ownership regime now they are spending money.

I know a couple of Chelsea fans very well. The last thing I would do when they were enjoying winning trophies under Abramovich was remind them how reluctant Stan was to spend. If anything I found it embarrassing rather than something to bait Chelsea supporting friends.

Post #501463  Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:55 am 

See the Bank of England having to intervene again to prop up markets.

Is there no end to these pesky remoaners tricks.

Post #501464  Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:28 am 

Fyi

Attachments:

Post #501465  Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:32 am 

Darren wrote:

Just read that Kwarteng has to cut public spending by 60 billion.

How on earth is that possible without serious societal problems. Major cuts to health, police and armed forces. It’s such a mind boggling figure.

Post #501466  Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:21 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Darren wrote:

Just read that Kwarteng has to cut public spending by 60 billion.

How on earth is that possible without serious societal problems. Major cuts to health, police and armed forces. It’s such a mind boggling figure.

Brexit was just a means to an end. Leaving Europe wasn't the real intention; it was to open the UK up to the type of libertarian policies espoused in the US. They want the jewel in the crown - the NHS.

Then it'll be private prisons, police chiefs voted into office, shite food standards and the complete politicisation of the civil service, amongst many other things.

The EU offered many protections against all this. Brexit wasn't about immigration for the likes of Koch, Tufton Street et al, but their willing stooges like Farage, Crafty Grimes etc., used that issue to wind up people.

I'm disgusted that there is no political consensus across the centre of politics that is trying to fight this.

Post #501467  Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:38 am 

Spot on, John1. This is all Brexit was about, making the rich richer and deregulating to facilitate that. Dress it up as foreigners coming for your jobs and you’ve convinced the plebiscite. This is all about libertarianism and a free market on steroids at whatever cost.

Post #501468  Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:05 am 

60 billion though. 60 !

How is that possible. Just such a mind numbing figure

Post #501469  Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:26 am 

Minister for health is pro smoking. It’s so funny

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... SApp_Other

Post #501470  Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:54 am 

Averaging £5b a day by the Bank of England so far to compensate for this freak show in charge. £300 per family, per day. That’s mental.

Post #501471  Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:07 am 

Oh and I’ve just read we’re the only G7 country not to have returned their economy to pre- pandemic levels.

Post #501472  Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:12 am 

To give myself a "high", I watched highlights of our match against pool again. My oh my, still sent shivers down the spine when Saka's penalty went in.

Post #501473  Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:15 am 

Darren wrote:
Oh and I’ve just read we’re the only G7 country not to have returned their economy to pre- pandemic levels.

But don't forget Darren, it's all because of the Remoaners continually remoaning.

Nothing to do with people who just won't admit they got the wool pulled over their eyes, and who continue to back Brexit despite the overwhelming evidence showing how harmful it's been, and continues to be.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”

Post #501474  Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:05 pm 

Saw an article with the headline ‘can Arsenal really do a Leicester and win the title?’ Sorry what? We were 2 points off champions league last year not 6 points above relegation as Leicester were.

I’m more than happy for us to be painted as underdogs for anything but that’s a bit ridiculous

Post #501475  Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:34 pm 

Europa league is going to be tough to win.
Typical isnt it now we are back in it.
Looking at the current groups
Ajax are currently 3rd.
One of Barca , inter and bayern will be dropping into europa. Barca are currently 3rd.
One of frankfurt or spurs will drop down,
One of chelsea or milan will likely drop down and currently leipzig and sevilla are 3rd in their groups.
And lets not forget juventus who unless they go on a winning spree will definitely finish 3rd.
The way we are playing now we shouldnt fear anybody but it is frustrating the year utd won it it was relatively easy and of course last year we had a rangers v frankfurt final(though to be fair frankfurt did knock out barcelona)
We need to get the group won.
Really do not need an extra 2 games play off against a champions league drop out by finishing 2nd.

Post #501476  Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:41 pm 

Private Eye suggest that Kwasi Kwarteng has been earning £20k a month from Crispin Odey's investment firm - this appears nowhere in the MPs Register of Interests - if it's true then this goes beyond a resigning matter given his status as Chancellor and is potentially criminal

Post #501477  Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:43 pm 

Darren wrote:

Our government has been propping up the markets since 2008. They make up all kinds of names: Fed easing...monetization of debt...etc.

The shock to me is we didn't go into a full blown depression during Covid19 lockdown but they printed trillions of dollars out of thin air and pumped into the economy. The U.S. dollar is worthless.

The question I have is what happens when it all comes tumbling down? My guess? The shootings become more common, some mass shootings and others very targeted to whom the shooter(s) think are to blame. Our billionaires and multi millionaires know this. They have made bunkers
https://www.cnn.com/style/article/dooms ... index.html

Some plan to spend the economic apocalypse in New Zealand
https://www.townandcountrymag.com/socie ... w-zealand/

or private islands in the Caribbean.

The 1% and politicians will likely have a lot of private security. I don't have to tell you all there are likely thousands of Americans out there who are easily triggered enough to do mass shootings or targeted shootings. We all know it. Out in public spaces, at the counter, on the street, you are cautiously polite because you never know if that person will just kill you. Especially in concealed and open carry states. There is something in the air when there are long lines, crowds, Wal-Marts....avoid them.

We have a few economic bubbles we are juggling like circus clowns and its a domino effect if one pops. The government has had to stop things that they never foresaw before, such as the overnight lending and other very short term lending markets. This is the most liquid of all. Should be the last place to have to help out. Banks, insurance companies, whatever, major institutions and companies lend each other millions of dollars for a day, a few days, its very liquid, easy money, as you can make several thousands of dollars for a fraction of a percent by providing use of your excess cash.

You get it back very soon. For whatever reason, very few companies and institutions would lend money. Bank of America in California may need several millions of dollars to pay out a payroll to its largest customer. No one will lend it to them for 48 hours. Never been an issue before, but now is and the government has had to put billions into it to make it liquid..more than once!https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/25/business/overnight-lending-market-federal-reserve

The dollar stops being the world reserve currency and its a snowball effect, possible/probable very, very deep recession at best, likely a depression given the bubbles.

Post #501478  Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:28 pm 

This might be worth a watch even if the kids aren’t of age

Should be hysterical

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/england- ... w-12717357

Post #501479  Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:02 pm 

Our recruitment recently has been spot on. Rival fans will point out the amount we’ve spent since Arteta took over, I think it might be 2nd only to Man U - but if I have time I’ll work out how much money each of the top 6 has spent on average per player bought, as we had a lot more to do and I think we’ve turned over a lot more of our squad than the others.

Obviously Saka, Emile Smith Rowe and Nketiah through the academy is brilliant
Martinelli from Brazilian 4th tier for £6m
Saliba as an 18 year old, to be able to see the potential and be willing to invest big money in him
Tomiyasu - £16m, sky sports were sniggering at him on transfer deadline day saying he was being offered around every prem club and no one wanted him. Showed their lack of knowledge outside of the prem
Zinchenko and Jesus for just £75m is fantastic business when we also consider how long many signings take to settle - they were oven ready.
Ødegaard and Vieira for a combined £60m - or 1 Richarlison.

Ramsdale, Tierney, Gabriel for £75m combined. Very few bad transfers now

The players have been recruited to a specific plan and profile. Many other clubs just want the in form players but have no real plan how to make them a team.

Post #501480  Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:56 pm 

https://twitter.com/talksport/status/15 ... PpyiZTx-pA

Good old David Moyes sticking up for Arsenal and Arteta here on talksport. Bet the presenters and producers were fuming at such a considered rational take

[ 520210 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12534, 12535, 12536, 12537, 12538, 12539, 12540 ... 13006  Next