Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, warrior and 283 guests

Post #473881  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:47 am 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:

It's a tricky one, its obviously a low fee (if true) but if it is one of the dominoes that needs to fall to get Aubameyang over the line before the window closes then what do you do?. Of course, the fact it is Chelsea is far from ideal.

It's been an interesting debate. I can fully understand those who don't want Giroud sold to Chelsea, especially if it's going to be for around £15m. But as others including dec have implied, if Giroud going to Chelsea means Batshuayi going to Dortmund and without getting him they won't sell Aubameyang to Arsenal, then I'm comfortable with the sale of Giroud to Chelsea if it's the only sequence of events that will give us Aubameyang.

As Rich said, Aubameyang can't play in the Europa League, the winning of which is one of two options we have for getting in the Champions League. But he surely makes finishing in the top four more likely. In fact without him, I don't think we'd have any realistic chance of finishing in the top four. Also, Aubameyang can play in the League Cup final. Even if he does City will be firm favourites to beat us. But in a one off game anything can happen and although we'll probably lose the final, if we are to beat City that day I do reckon it's slightly more likely to happen with Aubameyang in the team.

It's probably the right time for Giroud to move on. I didn't realise until I read Hazuki's post earlier that he's only started one Premiership game this season. I never saw him as a good enough player to be a title winning side's first choice striker, and considering his age I doubt he'll have too long a career at Chelsea. But if I was to sum him up in a few words it would be something along the lines of 'good but not great'.

I would trade Aubameyang for Giroud anytime. Not bothered that Giroud heads to Chelsea, or any other EPL team. I always felt we are crying out for someone who can give us faster, stronger attacking plays. I see Aubameyang as someone who can run and strode towards goal, for a fast breakaway. Someone who can play like TH14 used to. We are crying out for such a dimension in our play for a long long time. Just hope he does not get sucked into Wenger's boring passing and passing and passing game.

Post #473882  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:46 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rog, when I pressed the submit button for the above post, nothing appeared to happen so I kept pressing submit until it went to the screen it normally does. But it obviously had been submitted each time I'd pressed 'submit'.

Could you please delete them all apart from one, as at the moment I can't even do that from my end?

No problem - I've deleted all the double posts.

Post #473883  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:48 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rog, when I pressed the submit button for the above post, nothing appeared to happen so I kept pressing submit until it went to the screen it normally does. But it obviously had been submitted each time I'd pressed 'submit'.

Could you please delete them all apart from one, as at the moment I can't even do that from my end?

Post #473884  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:50 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
... let's concentrate on our own squad , get it humming and it looks like we are doing that .

You won't be saying that when Arsene Wengerises them.

Good point ...watching those highlights his game is based on attacking at pace , then I thought same as you .... Oh god at Tippy Tappy Central he would be a frustrated onlooker .
To use him to maximum effect we would need a total overhaul of our game plan . Accuracy of our crosses might be a problem as well .

Post #473885  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:02 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
:laughing7: :laughing7:

the Pontiac 350 departed yesterday for a $400 profit ... thinking of re investing

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listin ... 1528037877 .

Interesting piece of equipment. What does your wife say

Seeing as she's just given me a bloody great lecture on what can and can't be put in the recycling these days ... I wouldn't tell her anything .

Post #473886  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:14 am 

david.d wrote:
Really not in favour of selling Giroud.
Very underrated and why the *%^@ are we helping out Chelsea.
Great alternative as a plan B and always liable to nick you a goal.
15 million is an absolute joke.
Can't believe we are contemplating letting him go.

Totally agree - a ridiculous decision if true.

Keep him until summer at least, then if he wants to go, fair enough. But £15m in the current climate?

Post #473887  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:16 am 

warrior wrote:
Bernard wrote:

:1laughter:

Post #473888  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:17 am 

john1 wrote:
warrior wrote:

(Has this got legs?)

Post #473889  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:05 am 

Well, it seems Di Marzio was way off. According to Ornstein Chelsea were interested in Giroud but baulked at our asking price.

It was kind of nice seeing Giroud getting universally praised by Arsenal fans though, when it looks like he was leaving.

Post #473890  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:29 am 

john1 wrote:
john1 wrote:

(Has this got legs?)

Post #473891  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:40 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Interesting piece of equipment. What does your wife say

Seeing as she's just given me a bloody great lecture on what can and can't be put in the recycling these days ... I wouldn't tell her anything .

Good decision. Loose lips sink ships

Post #473892  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:19 am 

warrior wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Thanks, much appreciated.

Post #473893  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:23 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
I'm guessing you and AG must be twins ...his father took him to America you stayed with your Mum

Don't get your point.

That happening a lot these days?

Post #473894  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:30 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Well, it seems Di Marzio was way off. According to Ornstein Chelsea were interested in Giroud but baulked at our asking price.

It was kind of nice seeing Giroud getting universally praised by Arsenal fans though, when it looks like he was leaving.

The whole transfer saga is getting more complicated by the minute. The latest twist is that instead of paying the £30-£35m Arsenal want for Giroud, Chelsea are offering us David Luiz. I've no idea how reliable that rumour is but if it all happens that would mean Giroud to Chelsea, Luiz to Arsenal, Batshuayi to Dortmund, and Aubameyang to Arsenal for a huge transfer fee.

I suppose the clubs involved (Arsenal, Chelsea and Dortmund) all look keen on somehow getting the deal over the line. But if I had to bet on it, my money would go on Aubameyang not joining Arsenal.

Post #473895  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:35 am 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Don't get your point.

That happening a lot these days?

Perhaps that's a reflection on his points?

Post #473896  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:48 am 

If we sold Giroud for 15 mil to Chelsea to enable the Aubameyang deal this really is just increasing the cost of Aubameyang to us. Last transfer window Everton were interested in him.

This story says for 40 mil
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/f ... d-13666681
but let us just call it 30 mil.

If we now sell for 15mil then in fact we drop 15mil on Giroud. If we buy Aubameyang for 55mil then in fact to get the deal done he is costing us 70mil but could be as high as 80mil if he was worth 40mil- is he worth that. Plus we lose a player who has scored 15 goals in the last 4 seasons and is currently plan B. Selling to Chelsea a player like Giroud even at 31yo is still a problem with me. It is an admission we are not a challenger to them. After allowing Alexis to Man U I have real trouble taking the clubs transfer dealings as anything other than a joke.

If we were selling Wellbeck I would grab it with both hands.

Post #473897  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:48 am 

Bernard wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

The whole transfer saga is getting more complicated by the minute. The latest twist is that instead of paying the £30-£35m Arsenal want for Giroud, Chelsea are offering us David Luiz. I've no idea how reliable that rumour is but if it all happens that would mean Giroud to Chelsea, Luiz to Arsenal, Batshuayi to Dortmund, and Aubameyang to Arsenal for a huge transfer fee.

I suppose the clubs involved (Arsenal, Chelsea and Dortmund) all look keen on somehow getting the deal over the line. But if I had to bet on it, my money would go on Aubameyang not joining Arsenal.

It seems our transfer dealings are so byzantine that there is always going to be something that doesn't fall into place.

I do hope we are wrong about this because one senses that Aubamayang is exactly the sort of centre forward that flourishes in Wenger's teams. Dortmund are surely taking the piss.

Post #473898  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:55 am 

I think Aubameyang is done and we're just waiting for Dortmund to get a replacement in so we can announce it. If it's not Giroud/Batshuayi it'll be someone else. He's burned his bridges

Post #473899  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:14 am 

Latest rumour is we are selling Giroud to finance the signing of Manolas or Diallo.

Post #473900  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:24 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
If we sold Giroud for 15 mil to Chelsea to enable the Aubameyang deal this really is just increasing the cost of Aubameyang to us. Last transfer window Everton were interested in him.

Selling to Chelsea a player like Giroud even at 31yo is still a problem with me. It is an admission we are not a challenger to them. After allowing Alexis to Man U I have real trouble taking the clubs transfer dealings as anything other than a joke.

You sound a bit like Arsene at his worst. 'Oh, I am not going to pay more than what I think a player is really worth disregarding the recent inflationary trend in football's transfer market, even if not getting him means more of the same dross we have been seeing since I was appointed as Arsenal's Director of Finance as well as the team manager'.

I wouldn't worry about selling Giroud to Chelsea on the cheap anyway, according to what Hazuki said Ornstein came out with. But if that's what was needed to get the deal over the line, I wouldn't be that concerned about Giroud going to Chelsea on the cheap. It's not ideal, but to me looks preferable to not getting Aubameyang.

Anyway, unlike you, with Aubameyang in Arsenal's team and Giroud in Chelsea's team I think we'd be far more of a challenger to Chelsea than we are at present. Giroud is 31 and hardly ever starts a game for Arsenal these days. Doesn't that make him surplus to requirements in your view? I think it's time for him to move on both in the interests of Giroud himself and Arsenal. He's been a fine signing over the years but has now done his time. He won't be at Chelsea that long anyway. He's 31, and in the short-term probably needs more game time than he's getting at Arsenal for his international career with the World Cup coming up. We lose a player who can't get in the team much - big deal. If we don't get Aubameyang, I'll forget finishing anywhere other than sixth in the League.

Post #473901  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:47 am 

Don’t see the problem with selling Giroud to Chelsea at all as long as the money is reinvested. Agree hes a good plan b and better goal scorer than Welbeck but he’s getting on a bit.

He won’t start lamping 30 yarders in week in week out and if it meant bringing in a defender rather than having him on the bench I’ll take the defender.

I’m rather enjoying this bought of transfer madness. We seem to be releasing ourselves of some terribly inconsistent players in Theo, ox and Giroud. It will be interesting to see how this new side fares especially if we bring in a defender before the end of the window.

Just one more major departure is required now before we can truly move on

Post #473902  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:53 am 

However id be against a Giroud Luiz swap deal. Luiz is the most gung ho centre half ive ever seen and I couldn’t imagine him under a side managed by Wenger. Every game would be a kamikaze mission we may as well get the stadium bars serving absinthe

Post #473903  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:06 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Don’t see the problem with selling Giroud to Chelsea at all as long as the money is reinvested.

If it does mean getting Aubameyang, to me it just seems a bit of a fuss about very little.

Post #473904  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:10 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Don’t see the problem with selling Giroud to Chelsea at all as long as the money is reinvested.

If it does mean getting Aubameyang, to me it just seems a bit of a fuss about very little.

I have it on good authority Bernard Aubameyangs favourite tipple is a nice bottle of Sancere ? Loves the stuff and glugs it regularly. What do you make of that ?

Post #473905  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:22 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
I have it on good authority Bernard Aubameyangs favourite tipple is a nice bottle of Sancere ? Loves the stuff and glugs it regularly. What do you make of that ?

Call the transfer off. We don't want people like that at the club. We might just as well have an owner who approves of 'trophy hunting' for endangered species or who donates to Donald Trump ... OH????

Post #473906  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:23 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Latest rumour is we are selling Giroud to finance the signing of Manolas or Diallo.

Don't know Diallo but know a number of teams have been after Manolas for a while.

If we get a good feee for Giroud and sign a defender with that money I'm very much on board. No point in selling Giroud for a small fee, or selling him and not reinvesting

Post #473907  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:26 pm 

Aubamayang spotted at the airport......

Post #473908  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:43 pm 

Rich wrote:

And local Dortmund paper reporting he's on his way to London. Would expect it to be announced tomorrow, don't think we'll see anything official today.

Post #473909  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:42 pm 

Heard Bakshuay to Dortmund was a done deal...........

Post #473910  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:51 pm 

Mahrez 59m bid from City.

Post #473911  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:00 pm 

Rich wrote:

If you look carefully, it's actually Manchester airport.

Post #473912  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:45 pm 

Lots of reports that Giroud is set to join Chelsea for £18m. Not going to enjoy seeing him play for them, but it seems it was the only way to facilitate Aubameyang coming here. Also going to enjoy the fact that we signed one of the best strikers in thw world the past few years, while Chelsea are signing our leftovers.

Post #473913  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:17 pm 

If these transfers go through it will have been a crazy January transfer window from Arsenal. We are normally so cautious and conservative what is going on? At least it makes the rest of the season interesting.

Post #473914  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:40 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Lots of reports that Giroud is set to join Chelsea for £18m. Not going to enjoy seeing him play for them, but it seems it was the only way to facilitate Aubameyang coming here. Also going to enjoy the fact that we signed one of the best strikers in thw world the past few years, while Chelsea are signing our leftovers.

Heard that Giroud went to Swansea with the rest of the Arsenal squad but then left the team hotel to return to London. No idea if it's true but if he's not in the side or on the bench tonight, it could be. The logical assumption would be that it's to conclude a deal with Chelsea.

Post #473915  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:57 pm 

So we have to sell Giroud to a close rival for under market value because Dortmund can’t find a replacement for Aubameyang. I don’t remember any other clubs giving a damn when they made a big money signing.
I looked back at the summer deals and Llorente went to spurs for £13m, he’s a year older than Giroud.
Dortmund couldn’t turn back on the Aubameyang deal, they couldn’t turn down the money. Chelsea spotted the opportunity and used it against us to get Giroud.

I understand we have a better player but we have once again sold a player for less than market value to a rival

Post #473916  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:59 pm 

Mkhitaryan on the bench..................

Post #473917  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:02 pm 

Ramsey in for Wilshere. Wilshere not even in the squad

Mkhitaryan on the bench with Giroud

Man City lose a player for 8 weeks to injury and immediately make a £60m bid for Mahrez! That is just ridiculous

Post #473918  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:11 pm 

Too often arsenal just replace rather than strengthen. Coming in to January we had a squad that was in serious need of improvement in virtually every position.
So far (believing reports) we have the following ‘In and out’ replacements this season

Sanchez out Mkhitaryan in
Giroud out Aubameyang in
Gibbs out Kolasinac in

Walcott our no one in
Coquelin out no one in
Ox our no one in
Szczesny out Martinez promoted
Gabriel out chambers loan return

£2m youth defender in

Most people would agree the top one is a downgrade but the second one is an upgrade. That isn’t a ringing endorsement for strengthening the squad

Bonkers window from arsenal, and it’s good we are shifting stale players and bringing in good players but it really isn’t enough.

The Giroud sale if it goes through would keep us in profit in transfers this season

Post #473919  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:58 pm 

Should be 1-0 down if not for an excellent block from Ramsey. Arsenal with a million passes and zero penetration. Swansea attack and look dangerous. They are the bottom club in the league. Looks like this will be the pattern of the game

Post #473920  Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:05 pm 

Elneny now with a fantastic last ditch tackle. The through ball was so easy, wide open once again at the back.

Creating zero, no shots and look creaky as anything at the back.

[ 563338 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11845, 11846, 11847, 11848, 11849, 11850, 11851 ... 14084  Next