Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:13 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 408 guests

Post #497921  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:21 pm 

Mustafi poor poor attempt

Post #497922  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:22 pm 

Imo this suits Emery. Everything to play for if we finish off Valencia. Why push for a win when they need to be pressured to pay well.

Post #497923  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:23 pm 

Iwobi can't pass!

Post #497924  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:24 pm 

That result is a sad indictment of the state of our club and everyone in it bar Alex Lacazette.

Emery is culpable for the first team and the attitude of the players in the first half was a disgrace. You have to call him out for their complacency. THEY DONT *%^@*** WORK HARD ENOUGH TO WIN!

Xhaka was strolling around like a kickabout in the park

Forgot about Europa League btw, hazards last game for chelsea and sarris job riding on it ? No chance

Post #497925  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:26 pm 

We really are a steaming pile of horse manure, a comedy team of epic proportions filled with players not fit to wear the Arsenal shirt.

I'd keep Lacazette, Aubameyang, Leno, Guendouzi and probably Torreira. The rest can *%^@ off.

Post #497926  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:28 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
That result is a sad indictment of the state of our club and everyone in it bar Alex Lacazette.

Emery is culpable for the first team and the attitude of the players in the first half was a disgrace. You have to call him out for their complacency. THEY DONT *%^@*** WORK HARD ENOUGH TO WIN!

Forgot about Europa League btw, hazards last game for chelsea and sarris job riding on it ? No chance

Yes and that last line sums Arsenal KSE Inc. up - Chelsea already in top 4 but still thinking about changing manager, where as we finish out of it and not even thinking about changing, of course the party line will be all about 'long term strategy', when in reality it just shows the lack of ambition (and ideas) that the club has.

Stale, cheap, boring and weak.

Post #497927  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:28 pm 

1 point in last 4 matches, absolutely unacceptable. Emery must take full responsibility for this. He picks the team. He studies the opposition. He sets the team up. He decides the tactics. That feeble line-up to start against Palace was his biggest mistake.

Post #497928  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:32 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
1 point in last 4 matches, absolutely unacceptable. Emery must take full responsibility for this. He picks the team. He studies the opposition. He sets the team up. He decides the tactics. That feeble line-up to start against Palace was his biggest mistake.

Even worse when you consider what our fixture list was coming into that period.

Post #497929  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:32 pm 

socrates wrote:
We really are a steaming pile of horse manure, a comedy team of epic proportions filled with players not fit to wear the Arsenal shirt.

I'd keep Lacazette, Aubameyang, Leno, Guendouzi and probably Torreira. The rest can *%^@ off.

Torreira has been poor in recent weeks. Perhaps the EPL is too physical for his size. We got to stop buying midgets, unless they are skillful.

On the flip side, bigger players like Xhaka, stroll around the pitch.

Emery needs to get real!

Post #497930  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:33 pm 

gooner7 wrote:

Pale shadow of past Arsenal teams. Bringing on Iwobi and Kolasinac to win a game sums up the lack of quality throughout.

Post #497931  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:33 pm 

Cannot ever recall despising so many wearers of our shirt, totally nicking a living. I don’t even think they’re bottlers, just plain useless, if they don’t shift at least half of them then it’s more of the same ext season.

Post #497932  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:36 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
socrates wrote:

Torreira has been poor in recent weeks. Perhaps the EPL is too physical for his size. We got to stop buying midgets, unless they are skillful.

I've been thinking that in recent weeks but I'd give him another season.

The problem is that the club's hierarchy do not have the balls or the wherewithal to undertake the mass cull that is so badly needed.

Post #497933  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:36 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Even worse when you consider what our fixture list was coming into that period.

Exactly, all winnable games. Or at least draws. But, how do we contrive to lose 3 of them so poorly? All down to Emery and his tactics. He should have blooded in some young players in mid season. They could have come good now. Better than a useless Mkhitaryan, a limited Iwobi, a brainless Xhaka, an ineffective Kolasinac, a lost Elneny and a clumsy Mustafi.

Post #497934  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:43 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Yes and that last line sums Arsenal KSE Inc. up - Chelsea already in top 4 but still thinking about changing manager, where as we finish out of it and not even thinking about changing, of course the party line will be all about 'long term strategy', when in reality it just shows the lack of ambition (and ideas) that the club has.

Stale, cheap, boring and weak.

I don't think Chelsea's model is sustainable now. You could point to Klopp in his first season and say Arsenal are at the same place although Liverpool had better players. I expect it will get a lot worse before it gets better but all supporters go through experiencing low points we should be thankful we're not Leeds or Villa.

Post #497935  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:44 pm 

gooner7 wrote:

Was it really the wrong tactics? Or do the players lack desire and all the other intangibles associating with winning?

Post #497936  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:45 pm 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
Cannot ever recall despising so many wearers of our shirt, totally nicking a living. I don’t even think they’re bottlers, just plain useless, if they don’t shift at least half of them then it’s more of the same ext season.

I know many people say that they enjoy watching this team more than Arsene's tippy tappy merchants but in all honesty it's the lack of quality that does my head in.

I don't enjoy watching this team at all, bar the occasional moments of genius from Lacazette and the Aubameyang. We are a workmanlike side filled with average (and pretty thick) players and lacking flair, creativity and pace. You can't even say the players make up for their shortcomings with sheer effort or will-to-win.

Post #497937  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:49 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
This is a brilliant walk down memory lane

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/eu ... tory.shtml

I really enjoyed the article and had a special like for this part of the article.

Graham was unwavering on his core principles. As he told a TV reporter: “I don’t think we should try and play the Continental style. I think we are used to playing a certain way in England. A lot of people talk in England about the passing game and all this, you know. Yeah you can pass and pass and not go anywhere. There’s got to be an end product to all the passing and that means efforts on goal, crosses - it means activity in the box. Because you can pass the ball all day long, but unless you get the ball in the box you won’t score.”

Kiwi will probably like this.

Indeed Gaz .... baffling ..... when you watch us make the mandatory three little 'triangles' [ Dec ] before launching into an attack against a massed defence earlier on .... and then Voila once we've dug ourselves into an enormous hole against Brighton .... five minutes to go it's urgency all hands to the pump . :icon_scratch:

Why I decide to get up at 4 am , to watch these blouses is also a mystery

Post #497938  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:52 pm 

Theres a man who didn't want to leave.

Post #497939  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:55 pm 

Niall wrote:
Theres a man who didn't want to leave.

Very kind of sky to ask him the same question over and over whilst seeing he’s clearly distraught and not thinking straight

Post #497940  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:56 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Was it really the wrong tactics? Or do the players lack desire and all the other intangibles associating with winning?

Tactics too. It changed in the latter half of the season. The urgency in the play was not as apparent.

Post #497941  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:02 pm 

If we win the Europa I'm sure I'd be happy but frankly, after this collapse, I won't as good about it as I would have had we been playing decently.

I am not saying Emery shouldn't shoulder some of the blame. He has had them since last summer and we really should have made a better account of ourselves. Something is going on. Let's be honest, we lack the players on a position by position basis to compete with the top 6.

However, we have enough to quality to have taken more points than we have the last 4 matches. It's not tactics. There is something that has permeated this squad that carried over from Wenger. A couple of the players are new and didn't play under Wenger so it must be something that is in the air at the club that no one really knows unless you are there.

If its any solace, Man Utd seem to be much worse off than we are. They have only won one game in the whole month of April in all competitions. OGS seemed like a world beater initially but it looks like Man Utd have reverted to type to the form they were in prior to his taking over. They are better placed to solve their issues. More money to play with and even in point dropping and losing situations they seem more dangerous than we do. They are going to have a clear out this summer as well and frankly, I'd take a few of ones rumored to be sold into our club (Pogba, Mata, Rojo, Young, Mensah).

Post #497942  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:04 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Tactics too. It changed in the latter half of the season. The urgency in the play was not as apparent.

I think the energy levels of the players seem low right now as they have played a lot of games but *%^@*** hell its the job the management team to motivate them to be up for it.

Post #497943  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:07 pm 

Another problem is there is literally nobody at the club who can empathise with the fans. At least Gazidis sounded like us and tried to address our concerns, now the management team and sporting director are all Spaniards who speak broken English. The MD is a bean counter if ever I saw one.

We are now talking about installing Edu as our technical director or whatever.

The club is all over the place

Post #497944  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:09 pm 

We have announced Welbeck is leaving.

I really can’t see anything but more of the same next season.

Post #497945  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:11 pm 

Niall wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Pale shadow of past Arsenal teams. Bringing on Iwobi and Kolasinac to win a game sums up the lack of quality throughout.

Bringing on Kolasinac in front of Nheketiah when chasing a win defies logic ..... back to bed :brushteeth:

Post #497946  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:29 pm 

Interesting thread on Emery from May last year when he was appointed.

Thread

Post #497947  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:40 pm 

Darren wrote:

Thread

He seems to despise Emery. Did emery refuse an interview or something

“Often guilty of poor in-game management. Few coaches can snatch a loss or draw from the jaws of victory like Emery. Let’s not even get on to what happens when he faces teams that go down to ten men”

I mean based on what we’ve seen most of his in game management is pretty solid. When it’s going wrong he does to his credit usually change it

Post #497948  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:15 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Darren wrote:

Thread

“Often guilty of poor in-game management. Few coaches can snatch a loss or draw from the jaws of victory like Emery. Let’s not even get on to what happens when he faces teams that go down to ten men”

I mean based on what we’ve seen most of his in game management is pretty solid. When it’s going wrong he does to his credit usually change it

I think he’s a very average manager. We are creating less than last season, conceding more goals, we set up really negatively in too many games. Players need changing but this manager is bang average at the very best and I’ll maintain that even if we win the EL.

I think our style is even worse than last year. 100% imo. Our football is horrible.

Post #497949  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:31 pm 

Darren wrote:
I think he’s a very average manager. We are creating less than last season, conceding more goals, we set up really negatively in too many games. Players need changing but this manager is bang average at the very best and I’ll maintain that even if we win the EL.

I think our style is even worse than last year. 100% imo. Our football is horrible.

He's won 3 Europa's so I wouldn't say average as such, but at the top-end of average managers perhaps, the thing is it is a catch-22 anyway under this poisonous Kroenke regime - either we got a good(ish)/average manager (Emery) or complete wild card such as Arteta or the like.

The club is a horrible mess and frankly if it wasn't for Aubameyang, Lacazette and Ramsey we'd be right in there fighting with Wolves and co. in midtable and way off 4th place, in fact unless we win the EL I think this is where we'll be next season.

I could see this coming the day Kroenke got to 66% back in 2011 and when the Fat Uzbek gave up on the club then everyone else might as well have done so, Kroenke kills everything he touches.

Post #497950  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:33 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I am not saying Emery shouldn't shoulder some of the blame. He has had them since last summer and we really should have made a better account of ourselves. Something is going on. Let's be honest, we lack the players on a position by position basis to compete with the top 6.

However, we have enough to quality to have taken more points than we have the last 4 matches. It's not tactics. There is something that has permeated this squad that carried over from Wenger. A couple of the players are new and didn't play under Wenger so it must be something that is in the air at the club that no one really knows unless you are there.

What utter codswollop.

Post #497951  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:38 pm 

I know a lot of forumites criticise Kroenke....is it because he kept Wenger too long or assembled an executive team that failed. Or lack of oversight in transfer dealings.Or hiring Emery
I’m not defending him but I’m trying to understand.
Did Kroenke choose the transfer targets over the last few years. We have spent a lot of money and pay a lot of wages.Aubameyang Lacazette Xhaka Mustafi Sokratis Torreira and others....but their value for money is not so clever when you consider some rivals’ signings...Son Moura Kante (for Leicester) Digne Thielmans Douacore half the Wolves team I’m sure there are other ...maybe better ...examples.
Or is it our transfer out policy that is the problem with Kroenke? Sanchez For Mkhitaryan when we could’ve got a kings ransom from City

If I never saw Xhaka Mkhitaryan Lichsteiner Mustafi again in an Arsenal shirt it’d be too soon.
Brighton’s goal was a joke. Mkh no pressure gives the ball away. The guy runs 60 yards without a clallenge . Then just when he is running out of room Xhaka the brainless moron clips him. Two highly paid internationals completely failing in their responsibilities
Is that Kroenke fault? Again I’m not defending him. I am interested where you all think he’s done wrong
I’m in despair. My beloved Arsenal is in decline and I hate it.

Post #497952  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:52 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
I know a lot of forumites criticise Kroenke....is it because he kept Wenger too long or assembled an executive team that failed. Or lack of oversight in transfer dealings.Or hiring Emery
I’m not defending him but I’m trying to understand.
Did Kroenke choose the transfer targets over the last few years. We have spent a lot of money and pay a lot of wages.Aubameyang Lacazette Xhaka Mustafi Sokratis Torreira and others....but their value for money is not so clever when you consider some rivals’ signings...Son Moura Kante (for Leicester) Digne Thielmans Douacore half the Wolves team I’m sure there are other ...maybe better ...examples.
Or is it our transfer out policy that is the problem with Kroenke? Sanchez For Mkhitaryan when we could’ve got a kings ransom from City

If I never saw Xhaka Mkhitaryan Lichsteiner Mustafi again in an Arsenal shirt it’d be too soon.
Brighton’s goal was a joke. Mkh no pressure gives the ball away. The guy runs 60 yards without a clallenge . Then just when he is running out of room Xhaka the brainless moron clips him. Two highly paid internationals completely failing in their responsibilities
Is that Kroenke fault? Again I’m not defending him. I am interested where you all think he’s done wrong
I’m in despair. My beloved Arsenal is in decline and I hate it.

He kept Wenger on far too long which allowed Wenger to waste a lot of money on dross, which we are now stuck with, people rant about Wenger wasting all the money but he shouldn't have been there, for me it simply isn't good enough to say I'm hands off and then absolve myself of blame.

There is no passion or ambition from Kroenke, all he sees Arsenal as is a good investment and we are effectively being used as collateral while he invests in the LA Rams project, we are being treated similarly to the Colorado Rapids or any of his other small-time US based sports franchises, this is Arsenal FC - a great traditional, historic club, this attitude is totally unacceptable.

Post #497953  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:54 pm 

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I think you may be right on Emery but at the moment we need to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Emery didn’t sign Mustafi, Xhaka or mhikitaryan. These players just aren’t good enough and I challenge anyone to say otherwise.

On the style of football I disagree I think it’s better than last year when we were overplaying on the most ridiculous level I have ever seen. I don’t think we can play a brand of entertaining football with the personnel we have.

I expect emery to go at the end of next season but I think there’s just so many individual problems that any manager would struggle.

Post #497954  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:10 pm 

Dunno Wilts. Did he accept Gazidis’recommendation to keep Wenger?Maybe that was his mistake
Some high powered individuals hire execs and trust they will do their job. Maybe he kept Gazidis too long.
How do we know he is any different from the Qatari royal family, from the Glazers or Abramovich. I don’t think he’s a fool..I really believe he wants Arsenal to succeed ....because it protects and enhances his investment ....not like you and me who have Arsenal in our blood.
I would love to see a more hands on owner and board who shared the pain you and I feel when we get 1 out of 12 points but I don’t think it would make too much difference to us being successful or not.
Anyway Wilts fingers crossed for Thursday and beyond. Cheers.

Post #497955  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:27 pm 

We got what we deserved. I don't even have faith that we will get thru the second leg of the Dud Cup without some dramatics.

We have a culture at the club of someone else will look after it. Lack of effort, high overpaid players, players who do not care, players who are simply not good enough and lack of investment. Xhaka sticking out the arm and giving away the penalty is indicative of the club culture. Just can't be bothered.

Coupled with the fact that we have a very old squad of players who are just going thru the motions before they retire or cannot keep pace. The squad is a mess.

For those saying we will miss Wellbeck and Ramsay - we would if they ever were fit.

I said online when Wellbeck arrived that he would be another Man U offload who would never achieve anything. So out of Silvestre, Wellbeck and Mikhitaryan, all Man U rejects, which one has been value for money and is your favourite?

Should Emery go? I would not have liked to take over this squad. Simply not good enough at every level but I am not sure they have bought into the new manager and there isn't a player power problem at the club. It all reeks of it with failure to really try every game from the players.

The club needs the mother of all clean outs, but without funds we are probably up the creek. I would give Emery my support for another year but only if the club has got rid of Xhaka, Mustafi, and a number of others. If he keeps them and selects them he needs to go.

What was the response from the fans at the end of the game. I suppose people politely clapped. Part of the problem at the club - accepting second rate. They should have been giving Emery and the players an absolute bollocking.

Post #497956  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:28 pm 

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Totally agree, I've actually stopped watching a few games this season because the quality is just so bad.

I realise we were spoilt under the early Wenger years but football has changed and we've been left behind.

It's not an easy fix either as Man U have found. They have arguably had a worse season than us despite throwing money at the problem.

Post #497957  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:55 pm 

socrates wrote:
Darren wrote:

Totally agree, I've actually stopped watching a few games this season because the quality is just so bad.

I realise we were spoilt under the early Wenger years but football has changed and we've been left behind.

It's not an easy fix either as Man U have found. They have arguably had a worse season than us despite throwing money at the problem.

Man U had the same problem of a squad that was old and run down. They spent but it is a long way back. Imagine turning up for an interview for the Arsenal job. How much is our transfer budget?
I will need at least 250mil - yeah its 40mil.
Are you wasting my time? Isn't it rumoured that the Juventus manager told them to get nicked when he heard the budget.

I think Emery probably looked at our games with Wenger and said I can improve some of these players and get something out of them. Many on here believed the same. They were sadly mistaken - years of not having to improve and take instructions are deeply ingrained. I think Emery is probably just as disappointed as us. But will he act on it?

Did I get up for this game - No way.

Post #497958  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 11:02 pm 

Just read this report that Sanchez and Pogba will suffer wage reductions because they failed to make the CL.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/05/alexis-s ... e-9417174/

So looking at the business side of our club, every new contract signed with our club should have this clause. Wenger talked about good business yet presided over an absolute debacle with the contracts.nnWhy are we so far behind in everything we do?

Post #497959  Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:09 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Just read this report that Sanchez and Pogba will suffer wage reductions because they failed to make the CL.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/05/alexis-s ... e-9417174/

So looking at the business side of our club, every new contract signed with our club should have this clause. Wenger talked about good business yet presided over an absolute debacle with the contracts.nnWhy are we so far behind in everything we do?

We are so far behind because the owner backed Wenger and his despotic reign way beyond the point where it was sensible to do so, mainly because he is an ignorant profiteer who only sees the $.

United are struggling to get back into the elite with about 4x the money we have, we have zero chance (more or less) under this rancid, stale regime.

Post #497960  Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:20 am 

So no Welbeck next season. Would like to see Emery give our youngsters some opportunities. Time for him to impose his way, style, culture and philosophy - easier to do so with young players. If he doesn't rate Mustafi, Mkhi or Özil, sell or loan them out or let them rot as reservs.. No point including players who won't follow your instructions. Emery needs to get tough on the players.

[ 572035 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12446, 12447, 12448, 12449, 12450, 12451, 12452 ... 14301  Next