Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, mcquilkie, warrior and 277 guests

Post #497721  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:35 pm 

Ash wrote:
This is where Kiwi would start talking about softcocks...

Any news from him? Haven't seen a post from him in ages.

I emailed him.

Post #497722  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:41 pm 

rotterdamnation wrote:
You still think Emile Smith Rowe is overrated Bernard?

:laughing7: I was resisting saying this!

Post #497723  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:57 pm 

Ash wrote:
rotterdamnation wrote:
You still think Emile Smith Rowe is overrated Bernard?

He’s only had two good games. It’s probably a little early to define him as the best player ever. But as I said, what’s really impressed me is his footballing intelligence, which apart from one prior game hadn’t really struck me as obvious before. But I am far more hopeful about him now than I once was.

Post #497724  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:07 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Not for a while. Grantyboy has been on though.

Dunno why he's not around here much anymore and we haven't spoken about Arsenal in quite a long time (probably for the best given how crap we have been). :laughing7:

Good to know that he is in one piece!

Post #497725  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:25 pm 

Things are rarely black and white. Emile Smith Rowe has had 2 good games but in Bernard’s defence there is no guarantee with some of these young players . The situation reminds me a little of when Coquelin came into the side and increased the effectiveness of the overall team because he offered something we didn’t possess otherwise, not a world beater but helped the team. I’m not saying Emile Smith Rowe is or isn’t up to scratch as he looks a very promising prospect.

Many of the same folks demanding we played Emile Smith Rowe were saying Lacazette should have been ditched long ago. Well if we had done that we wouldn’t have scored 3 of the goals yesterday.

People have been clamouring at different times recently for Nketiah, willock and Nelson and when they have been blooded look enthusiastic but aren’t really able to affect football matches in the premier league at all. These things aren’t and either or decision

Post #497726  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:49 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Ash wrote:

He’s only had two good games. It’s probably a little early to define him as the best player ever. But as I said, what’s really impressed me is his footballing intelligence, which apart from one prior game hadn’t really struck me as obvious before. But I am far more hopeful about him now than I once was.

The thing that always impressed me about Emile Smith Rowe was his ability to get goals and assists. That might sound too simplistic but a lot of young attacking kids find that the final output of goals and assists only comes a bit later, doesn’t mean they aren’t playing well but it seems Emile Smith Rowe has a natural instinct for being in the box. Think of the development of Fabregas in terms of goals and assists - he was majestic at 17-20 but the goals and assists only came later.
Like you said though his spatial awareness and football intelligence is really quite good and a breathe of fresh air for this team to have a player finding space between the lines, making first time forward passes, working hard off the ball and not just stopping and admiring his passes he’s sprinting for the next one.

Post #497727  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:52 pm 

I can’t get over the versatility of Saka. Compare this to pretty much every other huge young English prospect and he’s miles in front in this aspect. Left-back, left wing back, left mid, left wing and right wing. A few players who play in a similar advanced position, Sancho, greenwood, Hudson-odoi, even Foden....can you imagine any of them playing full back or wing back and not being totally exposed!?

Post #497728  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:00 pm 

Rich wrote:
I can’t get over the versatility of Saka. Compare this to pretty much every other huge young English prospect and he’s miles in front in this aspect. Left-back, left wing back, left mid, left wing and right wing. A few players who play in a similar advanced position, Sancho, greenwood, Hudson-odoi, even Foden....can you imagine any of them playing full back or wing back and not being totally exposed!?
Yes, he is a special talent, and we have him!

Post #497729  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:10 pm 

That's a fair assessment Bernard. What strikes me about Emile Smith Rowe is his strenght and intelligence, he looks a pure footballer. I also like the look of Pablo Marí, he brings some much needed composure to the back line. He and Rob Holding seem to have a good understanding, there seems to be real synergy there.

Post #497730  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:42 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:
MU hierarchy being Fergie most likely in part. Still has his hand in the pot. He's at every game. Big influence. Doesn't want his boy getting sacked.

Wenger had his faults, to say the least, but at least he doesn’t keep turning up the Emirates for games. So credit to him for that. I remain to be convinced how helpful it is for Manchester United having Ferguson turn up for each game reviewing what’s happening at his former empire like a pensioned-off Mafia boss.

He's still respected though, by some at MU and in football overall.

Post #497731  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:21 pm 

warrior wrote:
Ash wrote:
This is where Kiwi would start talking about softcocks...

Any news from him? Haven't seen a post from him in ages.

I emailed him.

Good doing that Warrior. I asked Grantyboy at Christmas about Kiwi, no response. Hope he's ok.

Post #497732  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:55 pm 

Zed wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Wenger had his faults, to say the least, but at least he doesn’t keep turning up the Emirates for games. So credit to him for that. I remain to be convinced how helpful it is for Manchester United having Ferguson turn up for each game reviewing what’s happening at his former empire like a pensioned-off Mafia boss.

I couldn’t agree more, he is still respected. I just remain to be convinced that him going to all their games does Manchester United any good.

Post #497733  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:02 pm 

Rich wrote:

Hi Rich,

If Sancho is worth £80-100m then Saka is worth every penny of that and more.

I love Martinelli and it remains to be seen if his early goalscoring exploits continue but I suspect that Saka could have the bigger career.

Post #497734  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:17 pm 

I think Saka has actually found his best position in wide right which allows him to cut onto his left foot and his natural inclination to Venture inside and connect with players with interplay is something that Pépé and Willian have been bad at. Actually think Pépé will struggle to get games now and our Brazilian friend will find himself on loan next year.

Best young prospect since Ashley Cole in my opinion

Post #497735  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:25 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:
As a pure footballer in terms of technique, crossing a ball, striking a ball cleanly is Tierney the best left back we’ve had since Cole. Maybe Sylvinho actually had ridiculous technique but lacked in some robustness. Tierney is one of the most exciting players in our team now. Easy to see how he’ll become a firm fan favourite

Agree

Also it’s completely evident that he’s the teams captain. Maybe not in name and title but definitely in spirit and attitude. Only a matter of time on that.

I loved the way he was celebrating his goal- pure passion.

Post #497736  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:29 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Dunno why he's not around here much anymore and we haven't spoken about Arsenal in quite a long time (probably for the best given how crap we have been). :laughing7:

Good to hear he's alive and kicking Granty. Tell him to get back on here pronto we've been sorely missing his colourful prose :icon_mrgreen:

Post #497737  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:34 pm 

The average age of Arsenal’s first team squad is 26.2 years.
At the end of the season we lose Sokratis (32), Özil (32), luiz (33) and Mustafi (28)
The basis of the squad going forward being Tierney (23), leno (28), Partey (27), Saka (19), Gabriel (22), martinelli (19) looks healthy

Post #497738  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:09 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Good to hear he's alive and kicking Granty. Tell him to get back on here pronto we've been sorely missing his colourful prose :icon_mrgreen:

And also his numerous escapades with errant power tools, mystic poultices, dubious alcohol and herbal remedies.

Post #497739  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:48 pm 

What a weird season. A week ago we were flirting with the relegation zone after our worst start to a league campaign in decades. Tonight we are only 3 points behind Chelsea and a Europa league spot.

Post #497740  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:24 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
I think Saka has actually found his best position in wide right which allows him to cut onto his left foot and his natural inclination to Venture inside and connect with players with interplay is something that Pépé and Willian have been bad at. Actually think Pépé will struggle to get games now and our Brazilian friend will find himself on loan next year.

Best young prospect since Ashley Cole in my opinion

Saka moving to the right has possibly also helped Tierney. A flying fullback in the modern game always seems to play better when their winger is coming more on the inside so it gives them move space to run in to as the natural player on that side. When Saka was out on the left him and Tierney were possibly occupying the same spaces. With Tierney now playing with Martinelli or Aubameyang in front of him they both naturally come inside and leave that space for him to attack.

As for best young prospect since Cole, the only other one I'd put in there was Wilshere, because at 19 that season he had doing what he was able to do in the middle of midfield was absolutely unreal - injuries absolutely ruined him but at the time Wilshere was the one of the best young players in the world

Post #497741  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:10 pm 

Sam Alladyce has won 6 out of 35 games v Arsenal. Not such the great record he would have everyone believe as he (or at least the media) seem to peddle this myth that he has some sort of sign over us.

Post #497742  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:25 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

That's good Kiwi's ok Grantyboy. He's probably worn out from the many Arsenal train crashes. :angel8:

Post #497743  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:27 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

I couldn’t agree more, he is still respected. I just remain to be convinced that him going to all their games does Manchester United any good.

He's hovering. And with that it's hard to tell whether it's a positive or a negative, given what input he may have.

Post #497744  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:38 pm 

Gerry Marsden has passed but his music will live for a long time.

Post #497745  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:11 pm 

Be careful out there people. Sounds like the London hospitals are getting over run by Covid admissions. Try and stay safe everyone

Post #497746  Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:14 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Be careful out there people. Sounds like the London hospitals are getting overrun by Covid admissions. Try and stay safe everyone

A couple of friends of mine work on the frontline in the NHS and say it's absolutely awful. I think we're def going to see tighter, nationwide restrictions being imposed very shortly. I think everything will be shut down save for the absolute essentials. The half-hearted lockdown of November was utterly ridiculous, it was like nothing had changed. Until they can get the vaccine rolled out at higher levels, this is how life needs to be. I wouldn't trust this lot in charge to get anything right at the moment though. Utter, useless *%^@.

Post #497747  Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:08 am 

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Be careful out there people. Sounds like the London hospitals are getting overrun by Covid admissions. Try and stay safe everyone

A couple of friends of mine work on the frontline in the NHS and say it's absolutely awful. I think we're def going to see tighter, nationwide restrictions being imposed very shortly. I think everything will be shut down save for the absolute essentials. The half-hearted lockdown of November was utterly ridiculous, it was like nothing had changed. Until they can get the vaccine rolled out at higher levels, this is how life needs to be. I wouldn't trust this lot in charge to get anything right at the moment though. Utter, useless *%^@.

I can’t imagine what they must be fighting everyday,

Did you manage to get your half price pub grub though whilst it was on offer though ? :laughing7: just an absolutely mental decision on almost every level.

Post #497748  Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:10 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Darren wrote:

I can’t imagine what they must be fighting everyday,

Did you manage to get your half price pub grub though whilst it was on offer though ? :laughing7: just an absolutely mental decision on almost every level.

Wasn't it just?!!

Post #497749  Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:38 am 

Looks like Saliba is going on loan to Nice for the rest of the season

Post #497750  Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:44 am 

To Nice on loan. No option to buy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.u ... 42496/amp/

Post #497751  Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:50 am 

At this point, lets just sell Saliba. Holding has been playing decently. Other defenders as well, but its clear Gabriel is the only quality defender that fits our top 6 or top 4 ambitions. For whatever reason Saliba isn't and he's not even good enough to beat out Holding, Mari, Mustafi, etc. What will sending him out of loan accomplish if he's that far back?

Cut our losses and get a first team, top 6 quality defender. Someone effed this up.

Post #497752  Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:56 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
At this point, lets just sell Saliba. Holding has been playing decently. Other defenders as well, but its clear Gabriel is the only quality defender that fits our top 6 or top 4 ambitions. For whatever reason Saliba isn't and he's not even good enough to beat out Holding, Mari, Mustafi, etc. What will sending him out of loan accomplish if he's that far back?

Cut our losses and get a first team, top 6 quality defender. Someone effed this up.

I don't think it is as simple as just selling him. Something doesn't add up. This wasn't some obscure defender we picked up, he was outstanding in France and genuinely had plenty of clubs in for his signature. He has signed a 5 year deal, if we sell now we'll make a loss and possibly a bigger loss in the future. We need to see how he does on loan, bring him back and see if he needs more time or can compete as part of the first team once Luiz, Sokratis and Mustafi are all off this summer.

Post #497753  Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:05 pm 

Emi Buendia has been one of the names most seriously connected with a winter move to help with our creativity issues. He's having a fine season for Norwich with 6 goals and 6 assists and in his season in the prem for a relegated Norwich he was second only to De Bruyne for chances created.
However - Buendia plays from the right wing for Norwich, has done every game this season and every game when he was in the prem. We need a guy who can operate centrally as a 10 and drop in to become a proper central midfielder without the ball. I like Buendia in terms of his skills, the profile, age and someone who could potentially take a step up when playing with better players but it is a risk to suddenly push him in to a new position and expect him to solve a lot of our problems.

Latest rumours are Arsenal trying to use fringe players to swap for him. Nelson and Willock mentioned. Although I saw one report that had the deal at £40m PLUS Nelson and Willock - which depending on the value you have on Nelson and Willock would put Beundia somewhere in the £60-80m range! which is absurd. We might as well sell Nelson and Willock for £10m a piece and add £30m of our money and get Aouar the No.1 target last year.

Post #497754  Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:30 pm 

i hear ya Rich, but when you go from where he was. A top defender in France, and he's not even good enough for the bench. Again, Holding, Mustafi and Mari ahead of him. For me, it doesn't matter. There is a huge eff up somewhere. Mega eff up.

And a loan back to France is supposed to solve it? No, for me, I'd just as well, cut our losses. I certainly understand not wanting to by many if not most.

I'm not sure who I feel sorry for the most, him or the club?

Post #497755  Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:49 pm 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

I don't think it is as simple as just selling him. Something doesn't add up. This wasn't some obscure defender we picked up, he was outstanding in France and genuinely had plenty of clubs in for his signature. He has signed a 5 year deal, if we sell now we'll make a loss and possibly a bigger loss in the future. We need to see how he does on loan, bring him back and see if he needs more time or can compete as part of the first team once Luiz, Sokratis and Mustafi are all off this summer.

I think people like American Gooner (who always seizes onto particular issues like a hyena), are making a mountain over a molehill. Firstly, I'm sure Arteta's not picking him is based on what he believed to be genuine footballing or discipline reasons (whether he is right or wrong is another issue). Secondly, the fact that Saliba came highly rated is not a reason to pick him. Otherwise Pépé, Özil and Mustafi would be first on the team sheet every week. I wouldn't be in the least surprised if Saliba turned out very well for us. But sometimes signings just don't work.

Post #497756  Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:26 pm 

Fabrizio Romano on Arsenal:
Emiliano Buendia is ‘one of the options’ into Arsenal list. #AFC board are now focused on selling/loaning out players [Sokratis, Özil after Kolasinac] and then they’ll work to new signings. No official talks started yet with Norwich - Arsenal will decide their strategy soon

Post #497757  Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:22 pm 

I would have said a creative, dynamic midfielder was the top of the transfer list in terms of need but with Smith Rowe and Ceballos doing well, I'm starting to reconsider and think a CB.

Post #497758  Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:43 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I would have said a creative, dynamic midfielder was the top of the transfer list in terms of need but with Smith Rowe and Ceballos doing well, I'm starting to reconsider and think a CB.

For me it still has to be another central creative attacking mid. We've seen the difference Emile Smith Rowe has made in that position but he's still young, we cant expect him to play every game or expect him to be at a high level every game.
We don't have anyone else in the squad suited to that role. For every other position we at least have a round peg to put in a round hole

Post #497759  Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:27 pm 

I wonder how much rotation we will see v Newcastle in the cup. You could easily change all 10 outfield players for others needing some minutes: Leno, Cédric, AMN, Luiz, Mustafi, Elneny, Partey, Willock, Willian, Pépé, Nketiah/Martinelli.
That side is more than good enough to beat Newcastle at home. I wouldn't necessarily rotate all of them though, maybe just look at some key players to rest like Saka and Emile Smith Rowe and possibly keep players like Tierney and Mari in as the defence has performed well and both are in form. Id also be tempted to play Lacazette and Aubameyang as the former is in form and the later could do with some goals.

Post #497760  Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:05 pm 

Very happy for Tierney. I wouldn't have been surprised if he was regretting his move. I have to assume now he's seeing why he made the move to a big club in a big city. He's got future captain written all over him. All business.

[ 548398 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12441, 12442, 12443, 12444, 12445, 12446, 12447 ... 13710  Next