Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 290 guests

Post #472121  Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:07 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
lomekian wrote:
We'll agree to differ. Though I agree Kos probably needs a rest with his dodgy Achilles and isn't currently at his peak level.

Pure Nostalgia

Great player but well past his best and has been for a couple of seasons

I've not seen it mentioned here but I agree that it's not just this season when Koscielny has gone downhill. Last season was his worst since his first season. Perhaps it's just a coincidence but his first season, last season and this season are those he hasn't had Mertesacker alongside him.

I suspect there are three issues influencing any decline. (1) His injury problems. (2) He is starting to get old. (3) I think he might be missing Mertesacker's influence.

Post #472122  Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:07 pm 

lomekian wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

They are the problem, the whole defence is.

Clueless

If you think the primary causes of our defensive problems are our two most consistent defenders then you win the clueless award hands down.

No one is comparing them to our best defenders in the last 30 years, but to suggest that there aren't other more pressing issues with the team than those two is to completely misunderstand how football works.

They are half our defence. In the 2nd half any punted ball at Kane caused mayhem with Kosielny.

Our fans truly deserve Wenger and this arsenal side

Post #472123  Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:55 pm 

Goonie wrote:

We should hv tried ball over the top of their defence with their high line - Aubameyang's pace wasnt exploited.

Agreed we should have been doing to them what Song was doing to us , but we can't because we don't pass the ball accurately enough .
We couldn't do it with Walcott and I realise we wont be able to exploit Aubameyang assets either .

Two minutes from the end of a North London derby we are losing ... Bellerin hares down the touchline with great intent THEN passes it ten yards backwards to Mustafi :blob8: :blob8:

Post #472124  Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:09 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
The bad news is that the incompetent Anthony Taylor refs the game.

It'll definitely be controversial. Luck or lack of it decides who wins I'm afraid.

Had nothing to do with luck or a lack of it. Tottenham simply outplayed Arsenal. The 1-0 scoreline flattered us. It could easily have been a three or four goal hammering.

Post #472125  Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:21 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Pure Nostalgia

I've not seen it mentioned here but I agree that it's not just this season when Koscielny has gone downhill. Last season was his worst since his first season. Perhaps it's just a coincidence but his first season, last season and this season are those he hasn't had Mertesacker alongside him.

True ....... with the humungus lump of Hanoverian granite alongside him ; Kos had to cover so much extra ground and be more aware ; without him his intensity levels have dropped away .

Post #472126  Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:22 pm 

Just had a look at the league table. The top six (City, Manchester United, Tottenham, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal) are the only sides in the division with a positive goal difference.

Post #472127  Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:25 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:

True ....... with the humungus lump of Hanoverian granite alongside him ; Kos had to cover so much extra ground and be more aware ; without him his intensity levels have dropped away .

I suspect it has more to do with Mertesacker's organisational skills.

Post #472128  Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:30 pm 

Tottenham v Arsenal

Both teams have quality players .

One team was organised , disciplined , direct , incisive and all singing from the same hymn sheet .

The other was busy , clueless , directionless , disorganised , hitting and hoping something might happen .

You have ten seconds to decide who was who .

Post #472129  Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:38 pm 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I suspect it has more to do with Mertesacker's organisational skills.

I'd give him credit for a magnificent performance with Holding alongside in last years Cup Final he lifted his game to lift the young guy .

I'm not so sure he had the same effect on Kos .... maybe

BUT I think it pointless analysing the strengths and weaknesses of our squad .... we swap managers and play Spurs again in a month ..... we'd beat them .

We'd go forward they'd regress

Post #472130  Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:10 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

What a peculiar attitude to adopt , all the fans are to blame and you aren't .... aren't you an Arsenal fan

Post #472131  Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:30 pm 

It must be my fault. Čech a good game, Bellerin had Son in his pocket, Mustafi saved our bacon a number of times, Elneny did well as did Jack.We lost because Whereas Mkhitaryan and Özil had bad games, because the opposition didn't giver them any room and never let them settle, we lost because they started better in the second half and we were on the back foot.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first half and blame the loss on AW's lack of tactical nous. It happens. We know he'll never change but some of the criticism of the team is ott.

Post #472132  Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:03 pm 

To the person who recently took the p... out of me because I valued the fact Alexis was very rarely offside during his Arsenal career, I hope you really enjoyed Lacazette being offside 3 times in his short time on the field.

It was lazy and really annoyed me as it is a cheap turnover of possession. Still I am sure you enjoyed it because those little things don't seem to matter at our club.

Post #472133  Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:27 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
To the person who recently took the p... out of me because I valued the fact Alexis was very rarely offside during his Arsenal career, I hope you really enjoyed Lacazette being offside 3 times in his short time on the field.

It was lazy and really annoyed me as it is a cheap turnover of possession. Still I am sure you enjoyed it because those little things don't seem to matter at our club.

Know what you mean.

Also the people on here who moaned that he constantly lost possession.

To date Sanchez should still be cards on to win our player of the season

Post #472134  Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:45 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

This season? You've got to be joking? No chance.

Post #472135  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:53 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Tottenham v Arsenal

One team was organised , disciplined , direct , incisive and all singing from the same hymn sheet .

The other was busy , clueless , directionless , disorganised , hitting and hoping something might happen .

Kiwi, don't tax my brain on a Sunday morning. I need to relax. I still cannot figure out which teams you are referring to :icon_mrgreen:

Post #472136  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:56 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

Exactly my thoughts about Laza's offsides. He could see the defensive line clearly, and yet he strayed offside. I say his heart is no longer in it. Oh, how quickly another player declines under Wenger. Another no-show after an explosive start is Kolasinac.

Post #472137  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:03 am 

I hope Wenger is seriously contemplating calling it a day at Arsenal now. Please walk away, and let the team grow again.

Post #472138  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:08 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Exactly my thoughts about Laza's offsides. He could see the defensive line clearly, and yet he strayed offside. I say his heart is no longer in it. Oh, how quickly another player declines under Wenger. Another no-show after an explosive start is Kolasinac.

I am a bit like Goonie who has not yet written off Lacazette but I am concerned. Half a season seems to destroy the confidence of most of our signings. Other examples Chambers, Chamakh, Mustafi, Holding, Grevinho, Jeffers.

Post #472139  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:50 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

This season? You've got to be joking? No chance.

There's only 1 player who has scored more goals and contributed more assists and that's Lacazette. Shall we pick him? It's a tongue in cheek suggestion but if the season ended now which player has made the biggest impact and our player of the year, it's not any of the defenders.

Let me guess Xhaka ?

Post #472140  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:09 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
There's only 1 player who has scored more goals and contributed more assists and that's Lacazette. Shall we pick him? It's a tongue in cheek suggestion but if the season ended now which player has made the biggest impact and our player of the year, it's not any of the defenders.

Let me guess Xhaka ?

I think Monreal has had a good season. Even Bellerin, Mustafi and Koscielny deserve it more than Sanchez. Čech too. Certainly Özil and Wilshere moving on to midfielders. Even Xhaka, who isn't as bad as you like to make out.

Post #472141  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:35 am 

My American friends, couldn't tell you the difference between Arsenal and arson but EPL scorelines are now part of regular sports news and so when there is a result I sometimes get messages or if they come across something.

Attachments:

Post #472142  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:07 am 

gooner7 wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Tottenham v Arsenal

Kiwi, don't tax my brain on a Sunday morning. I need to relax. I still cannot figure out which teams you are referring to :icon_mrgreen:

get down to your local restaurant G7 ; bit of sambal stingray with rice ; wash it down with a dozen cans of Pump Room Indian Pale Ale ...you'll be a new man tomorrow .... trust me .

Post #472143  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:15 am 

Goonie wrote:
Lacazette is lacking confidence. His first chance was begging for a spectacular flying scissors kick... too early to write him off. I like to see him and Aubameyang upfront but we need to get the balance in midfield right to accommodate Özil and Mkhit, Jack and Ramsey.

Wenger doesn't like playing with two central forwards. Even when Lacazette came on Aubameyang was moved wide. Let me clarify that I'm not writing him off. I think there is a good player in there. But my guess, and it is just a guess, is that if Wenger is still Arsenal's manager next season, Lacazette will be looking to move on this summer.

I hope he stays. But if Wenger remains in post I reckon Lacazette could be looking to get away.

Post #472144  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:25 am 

Just wonder how Ramsay took not playing despite scoring a hatrick in his last game. Welbeck got on the field so didn’t understand it. Unless he was injured & I missed it.

The midfield is static & does not interact at all. I don’t believe Xhaka Wilshire or Iwobi are good enough.

Post #472145  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:37 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Just wonder how Ramsay took not playing despite scoring a hatrick in his last game. Welbeck got on the field so didn’t understand it. Unless he was injured & I missed it.

You did miss it. He had a groin injury.

Post #472146  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:09 am 

We were simply outplayed in that second half.

Nothing will ever change whilst Wenger is in charge. Don’t even feel upset or depressed. It just is what it is. We are totally broken under this regime.

Post #472147  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:13 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
lomekian wrote:

If you think the primary causes of our defensive problems are our two most consistent defenders then you win the clueless award hands down.

No one is comparing them to our best defenders in the last 30 years, but to suggest that there aren't other more pressing issues with the team than those two is to completely misunderstand how football works.

They are half our defence. In the 2nd half any punted ball at Kane caused mayhem with Kosielny.

So you are actually sticking with this sub-George-Bush-Jnr rhetoric, as if a) any disagreement about any particular aspect is contributing to what you perceive to be the problem (even though no-one effing disagrees about the actual problem) and b) the board give a rats arse what you are I think.

You sound like a stupid american redneck teenager. Sure, can disagree (and we frequently do - as its the point of an online forum), but how dare you turn this into a 'them and us' moral crusade about who is the better fan. Go take a long walk off something short.

Post #472148  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:17 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Pure Nostalgia

I suspect there are three issues influencing any decline. (1) His injury problems. (2) He is starting to get old. (3) I think he might be missing Mertesacker's influence.

Worth pointing out that until Mustafi's injury last season, they two of them formed an excellent partnership. The main issue is of course that our other centre backs are too poor to allow Koscielny to rest his chronic injury when needed. The guy has played too many games where he is clearly in pain and lacking in mobility, and at other times, when rested, has shown that he is still capable of great performances if used properly.

A partner who isn't a bit of headless chicken and better rotation and Kos is still an asset for us. If we play him every bloody week when medically we shouldn't, we can't expect much more. Not sure what happened in the transfer window. We wanted to buy a centre half, we were in on a few, and then at the last minute we are told that there wasn't the transfer budget. How the hell can there not be the transfer budget?

Post #472149  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:21 am 

Bernard wrote:
bubblechris wrote:
The bad news is that the incompetent Anthony Taylor refs the game.

It'll definitely be controversial. Luck or lack of it decides who wins I'm afraid.

Had nothing to do with luck or a lack of it. Tottenham simply outplayed Arsenal. The 1-0 scoreline flattered us. It could easily have been a three or four goal hammering.

3-1 (or at a push 4-2) would have been accurate reflection of the game. We've been on the sharp end of a number of Taylor cock-ups in the past, but I only saw a couple of possible missed spurs bookings to attacking players cynically stopping counter attacks that I could even attempt to criticise. The linesmen made a couple of mistakes that stopped Aubameyang going through with chances, but even those were super super tight calls. The ref was good and had no impact on the result at all.

Post #472150  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:24 am 

Darren wrote:

Nothing will ever change whilst Wenger is in charge. Don’t even feel upset or depressed. It just is what it is. We are totally broken under this regime.

You've hit the nail on the head Darren. I've said it before, people here go on about buying certain players. But it's pointless. We could sign anyone and for as long as Wenger is manager it won't make a blind bit of difference. Whoever the players are, and I include Messi in that point. The squad isn't perfect and if a new manager came in, I'd want and expect him to recruit some new players. But while Wenger is running the show, the main advantage in transfer gossip and speculation that we'll sign a player or two is fan titillation. It gets everyone excited that it might make a difference. However, it won't.

Post #472151  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:43 am 

We are well rid of Alexis, he has not improved Man U but he has created more chaos in there attack.

I said after the Chelsea cup game that someone had to take Lacazette aside and discuss his off sides and positioning.

He badly needs some one to one coaching as do a number of our players but of course AW doesn't believe in it.

Post #472152  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:47 am 

lomekian wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

So you are actually sticking with this sub-George-Bush-Jnr rhetoric, as if a) any disagreement about any particular aspect is contributing to what you perceive to be the problem (even though no-one effing disagrees about the actual problem) and b) the board give a rats arse what you are I think.

You sound like a stupid american redneck teenager. Sure, can disagree (and we frequently do - as its the point of an online forum), but how dare you turn this into a 'them and us' moral crusade about who is the better fan. Go take a long walk off something short.

Go symphon some petrol from a *%^@*** motor and sniff it all day if you want to live In a fantasy land you prat.

Post #472153  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:58 am 

Kevin Whitcher writing with a certain amount of assurance that Wenger could be leaving this summer in his editorial.

Ancellotti was at yesterday's game lending credibility to what Kevin said previously that he was attending many of our games this season but I just can't see Wenger going this summer. A scenario I could see is that they announce he will leave at the end of his contract this summer but that would leave us enduring a season from hell next year with uncertain players, a manager carefree who knows he's leaving and still an imbalanced side.

Whilst the evidence continues to point to the contrary I can't see how Wenger will leave in the summer and this pain will continue

Post #472154  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:00 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

You did miss it. He had a groin injury.

That explains it. We still have a number of players who can't string a run of games together. Years ago we discussed on here whether it was our training , the grass or what seemed to contribute to these problems. No solution evident but disappointing.

Post #472155  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:22 pm 

Darren wrote:

Nail on head. I can't even be bothered to discuss X player and what they do or don't offer, tactics, formations, the manager, coaches etc. anymore, they are just tiny irrelevances in the bigger picture that won't make a blind bit of difference until something big changes.

Wenger should leave by "mutual consent" this summer and Ancelotti should come in for a couple of seasons while we rebuild some of the structures of the club that are far too reliant on Wenger. If we need to get embarrassed in the tin pot cup final and dumped out of the EL for that to happen then so be it.

Post #472156  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:26 pm 

lomekian wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Worth pointing out that until Mustafi's injury last season, they two of them formed an excellent partnership. The main issue is of course that our other centre backs are too poor to allow Koscielny to rest his chronic injury when needed. The guy has played too many games where he is clearly in pain and lacking in mobility, and at other times, when rested, has shown that he is still capable of great performances if used properly.

A partner who isn't a bit of headless chicken and better rotation and Kos is still an asset for us. If we play him every bloody week when medically we shouldn't, we can't expect much more. Not sure what happened in the transfer window. We wanted to buy a centre half, we were in on a few, and then at the last minute we are told that there wasn't the transfer budget. How the hell can there not be the transfer budget?

I hope I didn't give the impression that I want Koscielny booted out or anything. He's been an outstanding defender for the club and is still very good. Perhaps it is simply a coincidence but his best years were those when he had Mertesacker alongside him. I don't think that can be denied, even though Mustafi looked really good when he first joined and a more than decent partnership with Koscielny looked possible.

My own personal view is that Mertesacker played a significant role in Koscielny's development into a top player. I accept I can't prove that, but nobody can prove I'm wrong either. So I stand by my thoughts about what may have caused Koscielny's apparent decline over the last eighteen months or so. (1) His injury problems, and I accept your point about him not getting enough rest. (2) At 32, he is getting on a bit now and with his injury record I don't expect him to have the longevity that we've seen with the likes of Terry and Ferdinand. (3) He misses the calming influence and organisational know-how of Mertesacker.

Post #472157  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:28 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Before his legs totally went, Mertesacker at least knew where to stand, so Koscielny was clearer about what he had to do. Mustafi, though much more mobile, is positionally a loose cannon and is often not where he should be. Mertesacker, to his credit, knows the game is up and is retiring in 3 months, because his already freighter like turning circle has started to resemble continental drift. Mustafi either needs to be in a 3 or be taught a lot positionally. Personally, I just don't think he's big enough to ever be a top centre-back. Good as a squad rotation option, but not someone to build a defence around.

Post #472158  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:31 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

Indeed. But Lacazette has got worse in this regard as the goals have vanished. A couple of good goalscoring games and I reckon he'll be timing his runs better again. He just looks frustrated and anxious.

Post #472159  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:33 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Who has had a hip injury since his first international duty of the season.

Not saying a different manager wouldn't be a good thing.

Post #472160  Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:34 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Kevin Whitcher writing with a certain amount of assurance that Wenger could be leaving this summer in his editorial.

Ancellotti was at yesterday's game lending credibility to what Kevin said previously that he was attending many of our games this season but I just can't see Wenger going this summer. A scenario I could see is that they announce he will leave at the end of his contract this summer but that would leave us enduring a season from hell next year with uncertain players, a manager carefree who knows he's leaving and still an imbalanced side.

Whilst the evidence continues to point to the contrary I can't see how Wenger will leave in the summer and this pain will continue

I know Kevin thinks Wenger will leave this summer. But he thought he would leave last summer as well. Kevin was pretty damn confident he'd go last summer, if my memory serves. But Kevin was wrong last summer, and it won't shock me if he'll be mistaken on this issue next summer as well.

[ 560837 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11801, 11802, 11803, 11804, 11805, 11806, 11807 ... 14021  Next