Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:46 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], john1, mcquilkie and 277 guests

Post #497281  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:20 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
who is going to win the Wimbledon ? ....Womens I'd like the Kazak sheila to beat the Tunisian but I'm not fussed if Djouba wins ' Mens ... I'd prefer Djokovic ; previously I didn't like the guy but listening to a few interviews he is...... calm lucid succinct sharp ... reminds me of myself . One question about best players he went back to Sampras Rafter Edberg ...... of course Old Man and I ; the Cool Hand Lukes of the Tennis World would have rumbled back to Tilden, Savitt , Hoad and Olmedo
Santana, Nastase and The Newk shouuld never be forgotten. Bungert to carry their bags.

Let's not forget those sterling Brits Mike Sangster , Billy Knight .

Watched that Wimbledon champions parade did a little mental exercise [ valiant attempt to keep Alzheimers from the door ]

scribbled down a few names from yesteryear who weren't then checked if they were still alive .

Must be something about tennis and longevity Sedgman Seixas Savitt are still kicking Fraser and Emerson also . A lot died in their late eighties , nineties Patty , Schroeder , Falkenburg , think Gardner Mulloy lived to over a hundred .

Post #497282  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:24 am 

See bubblechris is online. You recommended a SIM card the other day. But if I change my SIM card doesn’t my number change? I don’t want that. Also, will all the history stored on my current phone, which I want transferred to my new phone, be lost?

Sorry about asking stupid questions like this but as I said the other day, I’m a technological idiot. Think it was dec who was kind enough to call it a technophobe but whatever word one uses, for me it’s true.

Post #497283  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:25 am 

kiwipete wrote:
:laughing7: Okay Decaf fair point sorry I thought you were having a dig .

Unfortunately all those brilliant home remedies and little shed projects have taken a back seat these days .

Copped a really bad E Coli infection damaged my heart ; lost 18 kgs from original 80 so feel bloody lethargic and apathetic these days .

How's things in Voortrekker land ........?

That sounds hugely unpleasant Kiwi. Sorry to read that.

Post #497284  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:36 am 

long time gooner wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
:laughing7: Okay Decaf fair point sorry I thought you were having a dig .

Unfortunately all those brilliant home remedies and little shed projects have taken a back seat these days .

Copped a really bad E Coli infection damaged my heart ; lost 18 kgs from original 80 so feel bloody lethargic and apathetic these days .

How's things in Voortrekker land ........?

Indeed it does. Best wishes from me too kiwi.

Post #497285  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:41 am 

Barcelona accounts show they owe 126m euros to 19 different clubs for outstanding payments.....and yet they're very close to agreeing a 75m euro fee with Leeds for Raphinha. Why are they allowed to do this?

Post #497286  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:46 am 

Feels like the benfica left back Grimaldo will be our next signing,

I’m sure it’s not a Tierney replacement more competent back up for 7m. He’s only on 21k a week. Pretty easy transfer. I don’t know too much about the player apart from he has a reputation of being better going forward than backwards. Makes more sense to me than signing Martinez

Post #497287  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:54 am 

Rich wrote:
Barcelona accounts show they owe 126m euros to 19 different clubs for outstanding payments.....and yet they're very close to agreeing a 75m euro fee with Leeds for Raphinha. Why are they allowed to do this?

There’s no punishment in football for misbehaviour it’s hysterical. The banks and footballing authorities never take a hard line. How can rangers go 9 years or whatever without paying any tax.

I wonder if Arsenal ever received the transfer fee for bielik in the end.

Post #497288  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:55 am 

Bernard wrote:
See bubblechris is online. You recommended a SIM card the other day. But if I change my SIM card doesn’t my number change? I don’t want that. Also, will all the history stored on my current phone, which I want transferred to my new phone, be lost?

Hey Bernard.

Typically, you can always 'port' your current number to a new SIM card. Should be easy to do and is part of the process when joining a new carrier.

You can Google the new carriers name and " Keep my existing number" to see what is involved.

As for the data, on an iPhone I believe iTunes will sync all data onto a computer (and possibly the cloud) and can be put back onto a new phone easily enough.
This should be done anyway just so you have a local backup handy.

They encourage everyone to buy the latest phones so they all make xferring over your data easy to do even for novices. When xferring data onto the same type of phone, it should be simple to do.

Apple also can do it wirelessly too I think.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210216

Post #497289  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:59 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
I wonder if Arsenal ever received the transfer fee for bielik in the end.

I think they let the £8 million slide until next year.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... new-owner/

Post #497290  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:00 am 

Rich wrote:

Because they are Barcelona (same applies to RM and BM). That's why.

Post #497291  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:07 am 

The only people buying Lebara SIM cards in the UK are people with debts who can’t get standard carrier contracts or drug dealers who need a steady supply of “Burners” to communicate with their out of town drug networks. (Please see season 4 and 5 of the wire for more details)

Also people who change their phone every 12 months when a new one comes out must be mental. Fundamentally after iPhone 7 they are all pretty much the same anyway. Change it when it breaks otherwise you get ripped off. You aren’t responsible for apples share price growth

Post #497292  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:25 am 

warrior wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Hey Bernard.

Typically, you can always 'port' your current number to a new SIM card. Should be easy to do and is part of the process when joining a new carrier.

You can Google the new carriers name and " Keep my existing number" to see what is involved.

As for the data, on an iPhone I believe iTunes will sync all data onto a computer (and possibly the cloud) and can be put back onto a new phone easily enough.
This should be done anyway just so you have a local backup handy.

They encourage everyone to buy the latest phones so they all make xferring over your data easy to do even for novices. When xferring data onto the same type of phone, it should be simple to do.

Apple also can do it wirelessly too I think.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210216

Many thanks. Whatever I do I’ll wait until September and get the new iPhone 14 Pro Max. Advice is much appreciated.

Post #497293  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:51 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

I’m sure it’s not a Tierney replacement more competent back up for 7m. He’s only on 21k a week. Pretty easy transfer. I don’t know too much about the player apart from he has a reputation of being better going forward than backwards. Makes more sense to me than signing Martinez

I would guess that Martinez is the better player, certainly more versatile so if money was no object I'd rather we got him, but as we seem to actually have to balance the books we could sign Grimaldo as decent if not spectacular LB cover and push much more money in to some game changing positions. A top class CM would seem a priority for me.

I also saw a few links from Ornstein about Kyle Walker-Peters as right-back cover. A bit out of the blue. Another flexible player who can play right or left.

Post #497294  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:55 am 

I'm always interested in which players get pushed forward in the early Europa league rounds, sometimes you can see in pre-season where the form and favourites are. It seems that not many of the young attacking players have been taken on the tour, more CM and full-backs, which made sense considering the balance of the tour squad.

From the little I follow in youth football Patino has always had rave reviews and now seems to have bulked up a lot. Flores seems a special talent already capped by Mexico. I wonder if Balogun may be kept until January and used in Europa games. In the second half of our last friendly Arteta spoke about using a 2 up front formation - 3-3-4 almost, if he fancies that then Balogun could definitely stay.

Post #497295  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:23 am 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I would guess that Martinez is the better player, certainly more versatile so if money was no object I'd rather we got him, but as we seem to actually have to balance the books we could sign Grimaldo as decent if not spectacular LB cover and push much more money in to some game changing positions. A top class CM would seem a priority for me.

I also saw a few links from Ornstein about Kyle Walker-Peters as right-back cover. A bit out of the blue. Another flexible player who can play right or left.

If the allegations about a certain player prove to be true then we need two central midfielders.

Our transfer window priorities will have to change.

Post #497296  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:28 am 

So which one of the 11 x nazis is everyone’s favourite pick to be the new leader ?

I quite like that Tuggenahat bloke. Seems relatively normal as far as I can tell, seems to have good ideas and a fresh perspective which is needed. He seems the least nazi ish out of them all. Top guns second pick would have been Wallace however he’s gone so I’m going for Penny Mordaunt as my second choice purely because she’d properly get it (yes I’m aware my standards are slipping )

Disaster candidates would be Suella Braverman (I know a daft, silly cow when I see one) and Patel who is supposed to be announcing her leadership bid today off the back of pledging the return of the death penalty. Either of those get in and we’re all *%^@** trust me. May as well just let Glenn Hoddle run the country.

Post #497297  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:33 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

If the allegations about a certain player prove to be true then we need two central midfielders.

Our transfer window priorities will have to change.

I’ve seen it on social media being suggested the CPS are not prosecuting on some of the charges and it’s looking good for the player. Wether this is true or not is another thing. What was being suggested really emphasises the important of carefully considering who you got out with.

Post #497298  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:49 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
...May as well just let Glenn Hoddle run the country.
He did wear Number 10...

Post #497299  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:17 am 

Rich wrote:

I really don't get that one. Cédric is a decent player who generally did well when called upon last season, not sure we need to upgrade on him as a back-up. If there are concerns regarding Tomiyasu's ability to stay fit, then surely we need someone who can properly challenge him rather than another back-up option? Walker-Peters don't seem like much of an upgrade on Cédric.

Post #497300  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:22 am 

kiwipete wrote:

Teach you to lick lavatory seats!

Get well soon you soppy old sod.

Post #497301  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:33 am 

Purely my own opinion but I always find it disturbing when a bunch of Tory MPs get called Nazis. None of them have been responsible for the deaths of six million Jews or a World War which saw estimates of 40m-50m deaths in terms of casualties.

It almost strikes me as cheapening how bad Hitler and his like were.

Post #497302  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:22 pm 

A few unsurprising reports that Ødegaard will soon be names Arsenal's new club captain

Post #497303  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:27 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:

I really don't get that one. Cédric is a decent player who generally did well when called upon last season, not sure we need to upgrade on him as a back-up. If there are concerns regarding Tomiyasu's ability to stay fit, then surely we need someone who can properly challenge him rather than another back-up option? Walker-Peters don't seem like much of an upgrade on Cédric.

I think KWP is an upgrade on Cédric but not a game changing upgrade that would be worth the undoubted £20m odd Southampton would want.
Cédric has his limits and generally did better than I thought he would when he came in for the run in but given the importance of the inverted Tomiyasu in Arteta's preferred system I think that back-up right back is quite important for us now.

For me this summer was about two things.
1) strengthen the key areas of the first 11 that needed improvement, striker and central midfielder
2) raise the base of the squad by bringing in quality in areas where the drop off from 1st 11 player to back up is too big. For me that was competition for Partey, Tomiyasu, Tierney, Ødegaard and Saka because whilst we have players who can play in those positions, not many of the 'back ups' come close to replicating the level of ability and suitability to our system

Post #497304  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:29 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
The only people buying Lebara SIM cards in the UK are people with debts who can’t get standard carrier contracts or drug dealers who need a steady supply of “Burners” to communicate with their out of town drug networks. (Please see season 4 and 5 of the wire for more details)

Also people who change their phone every 12 months when a new one comes out must be mental. Fundamentally after iPhone 7 they are all pretty much the same anyway. Change it when it breaks otherwise you get ripped off. You aren’t responsible for apples share price growth

I have never ever understood people who queue up hours before opening when the latest iphone is due to be released.
For teenagers and adolescents i sort of get it but grown arse adults queuing up so to say they are one of the first to have it is just pathetic.
I don't get it.
A sufficient Android that allows me to do all the basics and a bit more is all i need.
i cannot comprehend spending 700 to 1000 on a new phone.

Post #497305  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:43 pm 

Rich wrote:
A few unsurprising reports that Ødegaard will soon be names Arsenal's new club captain

Also some rumours that Saliba is close to signing a new contract - huge news if true, it would be a huge indication that sending him out on all those loans was the right thing to do. Gave him experience and allowed him to develop without playing a young CB who perhaps wasn't ready for the PL.

Post #497306  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:46 pm 

david.d wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I have never ever understood people who queue up hours before opening when the latest iphone is due to be released.
For teenagers and adolescents i sort of get it but grown arse adults queuing up so to say they are one of the first to have it is just pathetic.
I don't get it.
A sufficient Android that allows me to do all the basics and a bit more is all i need.

I’ll own up and say I think my last phone was 700 ish when I bought it. I think it’s an 11 but it wasn’t the latest at the time. If you can expense the cost then fair enough crack on.

I think the phone craze has run it’s course. Having the latest and greatest is pointless and the innovation no longer meets the need to change really.

Post #497307  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:25 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Purely my own opinion but I always find it disturbing when a bunch of Tory MPs get called Nazis. None of them have been responsible for the deaths of six million Jews or a World War which saw estimates of 40m-50m deaths in terms of casualties. It almost strikes me as cheapening how bad Hitler and his like were.
I completely agree with you. We all indulge in hyperbole at times, but the Nazi comparison is one that should be strictly limited to those who deserve it. A mere glance at the backgrounds of the Conservative contenders shows how stupid it is to call them Nazis, and especially deplorable in the case of Tom Tugenhadt, who is of Jewish heritage.

Post #497308  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:25 pm 

david.d wrote:
I don't get it.

I certainly won’t be queuing up for it but if I’m happy spending more, in some cases far more, than a grand on a bottle of wine, what’s the harm in spending £925 on the latest iPhone?

Post #497309  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:26 pm 

Hi TG
Fairplay.
The most i have spent on a new phone is 150 odd.
I have been with One2 One who then became TMobile who then became EE for years.
I stay on a sim only deal that gives unlimited everything with a nice amount of data for 10 pounds a month.
If my phone goes tits up i usually get a brand new no sim phone from Argos.
Usually a Samsung. Love the Samsung phones , tried a Huawei and Motorola once and didnt like the layout or the feel.

Post #497310  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:30 pm 

Bernard wrote:
david.d wrote:
I don't get it.

I certainly won’t be queuing up for it but if I’m happy spending more, in some cases far more, than a grand on a bottle of wine, what’s the harm in spending £925 on the latest iPhone?

Of course Bernard horses for courses.
It was more the queuing up for hours on end just to be the first to 'own one' which i found embarrassing.
i don't begrudge people spending how ever much they want to on the latest phone.
I personally wouldn't do it. No chance but that's just me.

Post #497311  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:31 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:

Also some rumours that Saliba is close to signing a new contract - huge news if true, it would be a huge indication that sending him out on all those loans was the right thing to do. Gave him experience and allowed him to develop without playing a young CB who perhaps wasn't ready for the PL.

Hi Haz
Where did you hear that?

Post #497312  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:06 pm 

I would be delighted with the Grimaldo deal.
7 to 8 million and a decent looking player for a huge fraction of the price it would take to get Martinez.
It is easy to get caught up with the whole Martinez chase and want to beat Utd to the player but there are so many savvy buys to be made and fair play if are walking away from the deal.
An experienced good quality Left back for 7 to 8 million is a steal

Post #497313  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:14 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Indeed it does. Best wishes from me too kiwi.

Feel better soon Kiwi.

Post #497314  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:16 pm 

david.d wrote:
Bernard wrote:

It was more the queuing up for hours on end just to be the first to 'own one' which i found embarrassing.
i don't begrudge people spending how ever much they want to on the latest phone.

Me too.

When the new iPhone is released the previous one gets reduced 30 to 40 percent and its nearly always virtually identical. Mugs

People who buy the latest phones at huge prices are probably the ones who fall for the “tarmac your drive mate” thingy and getting totally done on overpaying for glazing. Like i said if you can expense it fine but if you can’t save your dough

Post #497315  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:32 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
david.d wrote:

Me too.

When the new iPhone is released the previous one gets reduced 30 to 40 percent and its nearly always virtually identical. Mugs

People who buy the latest phones at huge prices are probably the ones who fall for the “tarmac your drive mate” thingy and getting totally done on overpaying for glazing. Like i said if you can expense it fine but if you can’t save your dough

Yeah. I've got a really cheap samsung galaxy. It does everything I need it to, which is very little since I prefer reading, etc on my laptop or PC.

Post #497316  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:27 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
david.d wrote:
I don't get it.

I’ll own up and say I think my last phone was 700 ish when I bought it. I think it’s an 11 but it wasn’t the latest at the time. If you can expense the cost then fair enough crack on.

I think the phone craze has run it’s course. Having the latest and greatest is pointless and the innovation no longer meets the need to change really.

For me the one huge change, and one which would get me queueing for, would be a screen that you can read in the sun. Now that would be good.

Post #497317  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:39 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

For me the one huge change, and one which would get me queueing for, would be a screen that you can read in the sun. Now that would be good.

Sun in the UK. I’m not taking the bait.

Post #497318  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:44 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Sun in the UK. I’m not taking the bait.

Ha ha. Yes but right now I’m in Lanzarote/Fuerteventura.

Post #497319  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:50 pm 

Way hey. Jack has been appointed Arsenal U18 head coach.

Post #497320  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:53 pm 

I see jack wilshere has taken a role coaching the under 18s. I wish him well but have to say it’s somewhat surprising he can adopt a coaching role like that with no experience. I suppose he has a career at the highest level and has been exposed to coaching techniques but seems surprising. Not that I know much about coaching for that matter though.

I’m sure Tony Adams said the job carries a 35k salary a year. Must be a big culture shift from making more than that a week for jack.

[ 520210 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12430, 12431, 12432, 12433, 12434, 12435, 12436 ... 13006  Next