Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], mcquilkie, warrior and 8 guests

Post #480121  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:10 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
john1 wrote:

I used to be a free kick geek back in the 70s. Spent hours practising them with my school goalie mate.

The only time I managed an effect like that pen was when I slipped and double hit. No way that ball does that without hitting his other foot. Physics would suggest the same too. (The look on the Forest player's face suggests also that he thought it was a fluke)

not hard to put this one to bed .... free kick Geek you may well have been but were you any good ...?

Those half dozen admiring sheilas in their gym slips , hands clasped , ready to swoon " Oh John you are so talented " on the sidelines doesn't mean you reached Denis Bergkamp status .

The look on his face doesn't suggest a fluke ... he was laughing because in spite of the slip he still managed to put the ball in the net .

Plenty of our players Iwobi , Bellerin , Welbeck get the ball three as high as that with firm footing .

Half a dozen? If only it were that few, the local constabulary could have had a day off crowd control at Shrewsbury Tech. The English girls loved a bit of Welsh rough (still do in fact). :icon_mrgreen:

It was the mullet/pudding bowl haircut, really tiny tight satin shorts (Arsenal of course) and socks properly rolled down to the ankles wot done it. Oh, and the aluminium studs on the Winfield (Woolworth) special boots.

Post #480122  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:23 pm 

john1 wrote:
It was the mullet/pudding bowl haircut, really tiny tight satin shorts (Arsenal of course) and socks properly rolled down to the ankles wot done it. Oh, and the aluminium studs on the Winfield (Woolworth) special boots.

Stop it John you're getting me excited :laughing7:

Post #480123  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:31 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
warrior wrote:
I just watched the game again.

*%^@*** hell !

Why the *%^@ would you do that! :laughing7:

sheltered life
closet Forest fan
Masochist

Post #480124  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:36 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
john1 wrote:

didn't realise you were gay Brom .... no shame in that I hurriedly add , strictly women and sheep for me .

Post #480125  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:47 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

didn't realise you were gay Brom .... no shame in that I hurriedly add , strictly women and sheep for me .

I'm not gay Kiwi, but if John carries on like that he might change my mind :laughing7:

Post #480126  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:07 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bellerin needs to be transferred immediately. Totally disappeared up his own arse.

Off with his head. Liberation needed

As opposed to this. Who knows Hector may have.

Attachments:
saggy_pants--300x450.jpg
saggy_pants--300x450.jpg [ 21.11 KB | Viewed 2515 times ]

Post #480127  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:06 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Can I make a point about VAR and the allegedly twice touched penalty. So much depends on what the VAR person gets to see...
Indeed, and this is another murky and unsatisfactory area of football. What gets shown on the screen will be completely dependent upon a person who is not formally part of the match taking place - namely, an unaccountable TV producer! For years we have had 'trial by television' and retrospective disciplinary action for incidents unseen by the officials during the course of a match, but who actually decided which of those incidents merited scrutiny remains a mystery. That TV runs so much of football now is obvious, but its influence over on-field issues should be carefully limited. VAR may be useful in certain circumstances but overall I'd sooner live with the vagaries of the officials, biased or unbiased.

Everyone take a seat. I agree generally with Hoy on this. Looking at the conditions of the VAR I understand that we will never know what footage the VAR person gets to look at. Remember he has a short time to make a decision. Do not for a second believe that what they are replaying on your TV will be exactly what he/she currently looks at. If they have 5 camera angles of a decision they may only really use 3. Old mate in the VAR may make the decision. Then 5 minutes later on the TV they show camera angle 4 and you will be totally outraged.

Looking at some of the recent decisions you can see how people and indeed experts are split on whether it is a penalty or not. A human being with the same mind skills as us will make the decision.

Plus wait for the time ou have aperson fouled in an attacking position, he loses the ball and the other team break and score. Don't expect that they will automatically go back that far to make a decision.

VAR or the equivalent in rugby league has been used for seasons and some of the decisions are bizarre.

We are heading to be american football which is totally f...d as a sport. Review after review.

Post #480128  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:08 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Indeed, and this is another murky and unsatisfactory area of football. What gets shown on the screen will be completely dependent upon a person who is not formally part of the match taking place - namely, an unaccountable TV producer! For years we have had 'trial by television' and retrospective disciplinary action for incidents unseen by the officials during the course of a match, but who actually decided which of those incidents merited scrutiny remains a mystery. That TV runs so much of football now is obvious, but its influence over on-field issues should be carefully limited. VAR may be useful in certain circumstances but overall I'd sooner live with the vagaries of the officials, biased or unbiased.

VAR has been used in the Australian league this season and it's truly horrible in its current guise. Tonight, a goal was ruled out courtesy of a player being registered as offside by the VAR in the move (or do I mean phase) before the move before the move before the goal. It was a 'violation' spotted by no-one on or off the park; which would have been argued afterwards by precisely nobody other than the kind of saddos who occupy forums like this one (lovable saddos though we are); and which resulted in a goal being ruled out as the two teams were lining up for kick-off, both of whom had believed it was valid. A better way to suck the life out of football, I can't imagine.

Missed the game and some of the decisions on cards recently have been plain stupid.

Post #480129  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:41 pm 

Strong rumours today linking Coq with a move. Few prem clubs and Valencia linked. Good move for both arsenal and coq as long as we replace him.
No doubt the fee will be derisory as it always seems to be with us. 26, 3.5 years left on his contract. I reckon we’ll end up getting something under £10m

Post #480130  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:57 pm 

Tomorrow's paper. Life after Sanchez looks rosy. What a crowd

Attachments:

Post #480131  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:41 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Looking at the conditions of the VAR I understand that we will never know what footage the VAR person gets to look at. Remember he has a short time to make a decision. Do not for a second believe that what they are replaying on your TV will be exactly what he/she currently looks at.

I dont know where you are coming from .... in the Aussie rugby league they show EXACTLY what " The Bunker " ie video ref is looking at on the Big Screen and the television broadcast ...... with Phil Gould usually chipping with ' what is taking them so long "

They've had a few shockers but they've had more wins than losses in my view .

Post #480132  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:52 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Today's rumour is Ramsey and Welbeck are both refusing to sign new contracts as the club has offered them extensions but with no improved terms.

Welbeck I couldn't care less about now as he's Kevin Campbell -40% but Ramsey can still do a job in the premiership.

Everything literally everything is in disarray

Wenger papered over fundamental fixes with band-aids. Now the band-aids are dropping off, and the wounds did not just not heal, but has infection. Wenger made a relatively smaller issue, into a very big one for the club. Along the way he had opportunities to make the fixes, but chose to stay arrogant about his belief. It is all breaking apart now, and I cannot see how he can stay on.

The same thing happened at Monaco. He started very well, but ended badly.

Agree ... couldn't care less about Welbeck. He has not proven his worth. Ramsey seems to be coming good.

Post #480133  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:08 am 

Bored wrote:
Assuming that 4th place looks unlikely given how poorly the team is playing, surely winning the Europa League is Wenger's only possible salvation?

This Arsenal team will not be winning anything. Definitely not with Wenger still in charge. Players are leaving, and the better ones at that. Too many hanging on because of high wage or Wenger's indulgence. No Captain on the field. Zonal defence still not effective. Lack of urgency on the pitch. To top it all, a Manager lost in the old ways.

Post #480134  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:09 am 

Niall wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Wenger won't win the Europa. He's hopeless at 2 legged ties and Milan,Lazio and others are still in the competition.

Milan and Lazio aren't any great shakes.

But a few 3rd placed teams coming through from their failed ECL campaign are. Atletico, Napoli & Dortmund. CSKA & Spartak Moscow may also be too much of a challenge.

Post #480135  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:58 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Looking at the conditions of the VAR I understand that we will never know what footage the VAR person gets to look at. Remember he has a short time to make a decision. Do not for a second believe that what they are replaying on your TV will be exactly what he/she currently looks at.

I dont know where you are coming from .... in the Aussie rugby league they show EXACTLY what " The Bunker " ie video ref is looking at on the Big Screen and the television broadcast ...... with Phil Gould usually chipping with ' what is taking them so long "

They've had a few shockers but they've had more wins than losses in my view .

You are correct in he NRL we see the same footage. But the EPL conditions you do not and never get to see what they decided on.

But as for injustices - the cowboys for instance:
I suggest you have a look at the clearly knock on try from Manly in the finals a couple of years ago.
Then the seven tackle try by Cronulla in he finals
A clearly forward pass by the Broncos to beat the Cowboys last year or the year before.

Post #480136  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:17 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Bored wrote:
Assuming that 4th place looks unlikely given how poorly the team is playing, surely winning the Europa League is Wenger's only possible salvation?

This Arsenal team will not be winning anything. Definitely not with Wenger still in charge. Players are leaving, and the better ones at that. Too many hanging on because of high wage or Wenger's indulgence. No Captain on the field. Zonal defence still not effective. Lack of urgency on the pitch. To top it all, a Manager lost in the old ways.

We are certainly out of the league title and have been for a few months. Of the two remaining competitions, the Europa Cup is the easier of the two. To repeat what we did in the FAC last season in reverse order of the semis and finals is a tall order and very unlikely. I'd suggest its slightly easier to get past Lazio, Milan and any of the 3rd place group stages sides over Chelsea and City. Both of whom I'd fancy winning the Europa Cup if they were still in it.

As an aside, City will win the ECL I would guess within the next 3-5 years. I could even conceive Tottenham winning it in the next 5-10 years but a few things have to happen (they remain competitive keep key players and strengthen, most importantly keep the manager when slots open when big clubs need a manager).

Post #480137  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:42 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
john1 wrote:

Nice to know I can still get someone excited!! :angel4:

Post #480138  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:43 am 

kiwipete wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

strictly women and sheep for me .

And not necessarily in that order?

Post #480139  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:47 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

We are heading to be american football which is totally f...d as a sport.

I think the whole world is becoming American, and not just in sport, which means we will all be totally f...d

Post #480140  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:28 am 

Rumours from Spain that Coquelin will sign for Valencia for £10m. Doubt we’ll see a midfield signing out of the blue, so I wonder if this means Wenger wants to tray Maitland-Niles in central midfield? I would honestly be ok with that for the remainder of the season.

Post #480141  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:13 am 

Daz wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
What interested me about that situation was the way in which many Arsenal players quickly appealed for a double touch. Not something you would do unless it happened. They clearly saw, and most probably heard, that something was wrong when the penalty taker made impact with the ball. Truth is the referee missed what the players didn't, and in the context of the match it was a significant error.
I do agree with that. They seemed absolutely certain and vehement. I don't quite agree on its significance though but I await a ton of hypothetical certainties, phrases like "everybody knows" and "balance of game shifting".
Methinks you underestimate the significance. 2-3 Gunners may well have got a draw. 2-4 not on.

Post #480142  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:17 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
...As a rule of thumb, we try to imagine Dennis Lillee or Jeff Thomson uttering the phrase: if we can't picture Thommo casually chatting about nibbles, hubbies or chrimbo, it's out the window, mate. Quick smart.
Imagining Lillee or Thommo reading a book is the greater feat of imagination.

Post #480143  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:19 am 

And now there are rumours we're open to selling Elneny to West Ham. Apparently Wenger does not think we need to have midfielders in the squad. Watch him revolutionize English football again with a 5-0-5 formation.

Post #480144  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:58 am 

Hazuki wrote:
And now there are rumours we're open to selling Elneny to West Ham. Apparently Wenger does not think we need to have midfielders in the squad. Watch him revolutionize English football again with a 5-0-5 formation.

El Nenny and Coquelin are useless and not up to standard. Surely better options using youth or an indicator somebody new is coming in.

Post #480145  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:11 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
El Nenny and Coquelin are useless and not up to standard. Surely better options using youth or an indicator somebody new is coming in.

Disagree that they're useless, but wouldn't mind seeing them replaced with someone better. If they're replaced by Joe Willock though, I don't see the point. No point in making the team worse just because we're probably not winning anything.

Post #480146  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:31 am 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Disagree that they're useless, but wouldn't mind seeing them replaced with someone better. If they're replaced by Joe Willock though, I don't see the point. No point in making the team worse just because we're probably not winning anything.

Why not start rebuilding (although with Wenger it's pointless), we will finish 6th and win nothing this year. Everyone can see it, knows it and has accepted it.

The process of rebuilding the squad is essential. Our talent pool is slim and we have barely any week to week match winners after Özil and Sanchez go. You have to start somewhere

Post #480147  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:36 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Why not start rebuilding

I don't know, who says we shouldn't? However an important part of rebuilding is to replace players who are sold with better players, or at least players who have the potential to be better. Gutting the squad mid-season hardly helps our current situation much. That's why I'm wondering if we're looking to sign a midfielder in January.

Post #480148  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:36 am 

Tickets on sale for red members now at 10 quid a pop for the lower tier for the 2nd leg v Chelsea.

The drop off of demand for tickets is incredible. This wouldn't have happened a few years back.

Fascinating situation at Arsenal off the pitch. On it it's tedious

Post #480149  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:46 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
We are certainly out of the league title and have been for a few months.

You spelled 'years' wrong.

Post #480150  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:56 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Tickets on sale for red members now at 10 quid a pop for the lower tier for the 2nd leg v Chelsea.

The drop off of demand for tickets is incredible. This wouldn't have happened a few years back.

Fascinating situation at Arsenal off the pitch. On it it's tedious

Perhaps this is the type of thing, more than the mediocrity we're routinely seeing on the pitch, that will make Kroenke think about whether it's time to bring in a new manager? If Darren is right though, I won't be happy with Wenger joining the board. He's such a control freak I just don't see him being able to stop himself from interfering. I reckon he'd want to choose the new manager who will be someone willing to listen to Wenger's advice, which is a way of saying do as he's told.

Post #480151  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:07 pm 

warrior wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
We are certainly out of the league title and have been for a few months.

You spelled 'years' wrong.

You spelled a decade wrong

Post #480152  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:13 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Nah I will be disappointed on the day young footballers with a ton of money don't rent an Air B and B for a party the night before a cup game. Good on you, Alex. It sits nicely with Bellerin's yellow hat at London Fashion Week.

Like the Style Council, my moods are ever-changing and the Arsenal soap opera is becoming more and more entertaining by the day. Nobody could have failed to derive a degree of entertainment and amusement from the debacle at Forest which in a sterile football world is something. It is the Eighteenth Brumaire of Arsene Wenger - first time tragedy, second time farce.

Post #480153  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:16 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Daz wrote:
I do agree with that. They seemed absolutely certain and vehement. I don't quite agree on its significance though but I await a ton of hypothetical certainties, phrases like "everybody knows" and "balance of game shifting".
Methinks you underestimate the significance. 2-3 Gunners may well have got a draw. 2-4 not on.

You may be right I certainly worried we might snatch an annoying equaliser if that goal was disallowed. Although equally likely we would have managed a miss like the one that did happen right at the end.

Anyway, I don't think a highly marginal decision (I KNOW forum physicists, but you are just going to have to resign yourself to shrieking into the void on this one) really serves as a deodorant for the stench coming out of Denmark right now.

Post #480154  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:21 pm 

Daz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Nah I will be disappointed on the day young footballers with a ton of money don't rent an Air B and B for a party the night before a cup game. Good on you, Alex. It sits nicely with Bellerin's yellow hat at London Fashion Week.

Nah, it wasn't a problem Paul Merson falling over pissed whilst on the wing at Luton because every once in a while he'd whack in a 30 yarder. Adams can crash as many Sierras as he likes because he stuck his head in front of strikers boots every week.

This geezer however needs to be liberated from his contract. The clubs primary purpose isn't to enable young lads to get Pum pum :laughing7:

Post #480155  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:37 pm 

His form's dipped recently but I still like him and wouldn't write him off just yet.

If you had your way we'd be playing 0-0-0 formation because they've all been sacked off at some time or another for being utterly useless and beyond redemption. OK maybe 0-0-1 if you take Sanchez into account...

Post #480156  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:45 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Perhaps this is the type of thing, more than the mediocrity we're routinely seeing on the pitch, that will make Kroenke think about whether it's time to bring in a new manager? If Darren is right though, I won't be happy with Wenger joining the board. He's such a control freak I just don't see him being able to stop himself from interfering. I reckon he'd want to choose the new manager who will be someone willing to listen to Wenger's advice, which is a way of saying do as he's told.
ZZZZ

Post #480157  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:52 pm 

I like Iwobi as well. He has stagnated somewhat, but is still 21 and there is talent there. This current Arsenal side is probably a pretty difficult environment for young players. Very much negativity surrounding the entire club, a team that plays without proper structure, and a lot of our attacking play is based on giving the ball to one of Özil or Sanchez and hoping they will come up with a solution.

Losing Sanchez will not make us a better team, but I’m hoping it will have a similar effect to when we sold Henry in 2007 and a couple of players (most notably Fabregas and Adebayor) stepped up to take on more responsibility.

Post #480158  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:00 pm 

Sticking with The Kinks - and why not - this is actually up there with Waterloo Sunset for me even though it's much later.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M1l1Vjl6E4[/youtube]

And sticking with the metrosexual vibe that's been creeping in to the forum with John1's revelations I don't mind adding Ray Davies to Joachim Loew (prior to the finger-sniffing clips) as men I slightly fancy.

Post #480159  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:03 pm 

He'd end up blowing all his wages for the week all for a cuddle and a peck on the cheek...

Aww.

Post #480160  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:07 pm 

And for some weird reason the fact that he directly addresses his sister at the end always makes me slightly tearful.

[ 570666 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12001, 12002, 12003, 12004, 12005, 12006, 12007 ... 14267  Next