Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:21 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf and 287 guests

Post #500201  Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:13 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Yes, immeasurably more. The first season Ceballos had here was pretty good. It would have been perfectly justifiable to suggest it was a success considering his contribution to the FA Cup win, and that signing him permanently might be a good decision. If anybody did.

Sounds like a gross exaggeration to make a point.

Not at all. Why do you think Arteta took him for a second season then?

Post #500202  Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:32 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Cause we left it to the last minute were *%^@** and out of options :laughing7:

Post #500203  Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:41 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

But that doesn’t make sense. Ceballos signed his second loan spell on 4th September 2020 and the transfer window didn’t close until 5th October 2020 for international deals (16th October 2020 for domestic deals). The 4th September to 5th October is over a month later.

I suspect it had more to with Arteta deciding his first year on loan was a success. Just as I thought it was.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... 034560.amp

https://www.premierleague.com/transfers/summer/2020

Post #500204  Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:52 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
But such an opinion is subjective. You have a different view. He is therefore not wrong but neither are you.

Calling Perry Groves better than Messi would also be a subjective opinion. If a subjective opinion is just plain silly, do you not feel it should be called out?

Its plain silly to call it a subjective opinion in the first place. The term should be reserved for cases where both sides of the debate are at least arguable, or where the expression de gustibus non est disputadum applies. Such as whether or not cake is a more delicious foodstuff than pie, or whether tramp's vomit would be the more desirable comestible.

Arguing that a two - toed sloth is faster than a leopard is not a legitimate subjective position. The person who holds that view needs to be corrected. Ditto someone who thinks 1+1 = 13 or that Perry Groves is better that Messi.

Post #500205  Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:54 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Post #500206  Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:11 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

But that doesn’t make sense. Ceballos signed his second loan spell on 4th September 2020 and the transfer window didn’t close until 5th October 2020 for international deals (16th October 2020 for domestic deals). The 4th September to 5th October is over a month later.

I suspect it had more to with Arteta deciding his first year on loan was a success. Just as I thought it was.

Bernard 1, Top Gun 0.

Post #500207  Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:58 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Bernard 1, Top Gun 0.

Hardly ! Your Richard Hammond routine won’t work this time.

Bloke had 3 decent games for us including one againest Burnley and it’s not like we signed him at the start of a transfer window and what money we did have was spent on another player :15laughter:

Bubblechris is perfectly right to express his opinion that Lenos distribution is terrible. Whilst I don’t agree I know many other arsenal fans who do think this so it’s not a radical opinion.

Post #500208  Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:15 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

to
TOP GUN wrote:
it’s not like we signed him at the start of a transfer window

Those goal posts are moving fast. Whoosh!
Not fast enough, though.

Bernard 2 ..................................... 0 Topgun
(Bernard, 20th minute)
(Top Gun, OG, 25th minute)

Post #500209  Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:17 pm 

Man Utd reportedly close to signing Cristiano Ronaldo.

Post #500210  Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:49 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:
Bernard 1, Top Gun 0.

Bloke had 3 decent games for us including one againest Burnley and it’s not like we signed him at the start of a transfer window and what money we did have was spent on another player :15laughter:

Let's express this in simple terms. Are you right - or are you wrong - that we took Ceballos on loan for a second season on the cusp of the transfer-window deadline? Were there, or were there not, four weeks left? I'm sure you're a perfectly rational human being the majority of the time, but do you realise how weird you seem when you go into Top Gun Turboblaster mode?

Post #500211  Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:55 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Let's express this in simple terms. Are you right - or are you wrong - that we took Ceballos on loan for a second season on the cusp of the transfer-window deadline? Were there, or were there not, four weeks left? I'm sure you're a perfectly rational human being the majority of the time, but do you realise how weird you seem when you go into Top Gun Turboblaster mode?

Sorry a minor discrepancy outside the actual point being made it’s quite right due to covid the transfer window was pushed back, point remains if we wanted ceballos he would be sat here in London rather than Partey.

What isn’t up for debate or correction though is all you’re posts consist of is “top gun said this and I don’t agree with him blah blah blah, top gun said that and I don’t agree with him blah blah blah”

Post #500212  Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:20 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

Sorry a minor discrepancy outside the actual point being made it’s quite right due to covid the transfer window was pushed back, point remains if we wanted ceballos he would be sat here in London rather than Partey.

What isn’t up for debate or correction though is all you’re posts consist of is “top gun said this and I don’t agree with him blah blah blah, top gun said that and I don’t agree with him blah blah blah”

Well you see a lot of the content of the forum is Top Gun blah blah blah. So it is fair game.

Talk sense and people won't criticise you.

Post #500213  Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:21 pm 

You are in danger of going down the American Gooner 'everyone is a troll because they are attacking me boo hoo hoo' rabbbit hole.

Post #500214  Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:44 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Well you see a lot of the content of the forum is Top Gun blah blah blah. So it is fair game.

talk sense ? Sorry I was simply defending Chris when he said he thought Lenos distribution was terrible and saying it’s not any more an exaggeration to saying someone thought Ceballos was a success. It’s not a radical opinion based on the frustration I saw amongst the folks sat around me in the clock end on Sunday and other fans I know trust me. Sorry if you think otherwise but I’m a season ticket holder from a family of fans and have loads of mates who follow us who think this so you're out of touch mate, I’m sorry to say you come across as a snide these days.

Post #500215  Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:25 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:

talk sense ? Sorry I was simply defending Chris when he said he thought Lenos distribution was terrible and saying it’s not any more an exaggeration to saying someone thought Ceballos was a success. It’s not a radical opinion based on the frustration I saw amongst the folks sat around me in the clock end on Sunday and other fans I know trust me. Sorry if you think otherwise but I’m a season ticket holder from a family of fans and have loads of mates who follow us who think this so you're out of touch mate, I’m sorry to say you come across as a snide these days.

Yes, Decaf, let's be honest, regardless of the validity of everything you've said, you do come across as a snide these days. Top Gun and I wish you'd stop. As do his loads of mates.

Post #500216  Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:43 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Grow a pair. See #534336 .

Post #500217  Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:50 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Grow a pair. See #534336 .

Not interested in the actual point of topic just having sly digs. The kid that stands behind a bully giving it. Snide all right,

Post #500218  Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:58 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Man Utd reportedly close to signing Cristiano Ronaldo.

£25m fee, £500k a week, 2 year deal and god knows how much money to his agent and signing on bonus. Ronaldo will be 37 in February.

It feels like this is Man U reacting to the possibility Ronaldo could have signed for City. I hope he ruins his reputation and flops but sadly I think he can just hang around the penalty area poach goals and knock in enough penalties that it will be deemed a success

Post #500219  Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:23 pm 

Rich wrote:
It feels like this is Man U reacting to the possibility Ronaldo could have signed for City. I hope he ruins his reputation and flops but sadly I think he can just hang around the penalty area poach goals and knock in enough penalties that it will be deemed a success

If it was any other player I'd say it's risky to return to the PL at 36, but with him...

Wonder what this will mean for Fernandes. Half his goals come from penalties.

Post #500220  Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:02 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:

If it was any other player I'd say it's risky to return to the PL at 36, but with him...

My heart goes out to him..

Post #500221  Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:21 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:

I was thinking the same with respect to the penalties.

I tend to agree with Rich. There's no way this was part of their plan for this season. They now have two strikers in their mid 30s and it is obvious that Ronaldo will want to play every league and CL game.

I've no doubt Ronaldo will score lots of goals but he doesn't work as a team player at all. Can they play Pogba, Fernandes, Rashford, Sancho and Ronaldo together? Cavani and Martial on the bench earning £500k+ pw between them.

Will City go for Haaland now? They really should.

Post #500222  Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:10 pm 

Maitland Niles to Everton on loan being reported

A transfer that makes zero sense to most Arsenal fans given the absence of quality at right back or in midfield. If that happens I can’t get my head round that at all.

Post #500223  Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:45 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Calling Perry Groves better than Messi would also be a subjective opinion. If a subjective opinion is just plain silly, do you not feel it should be called out?

Its plain silly to call it a subjective opinion in the first place. The term should be reserved for cases where both sides of the debate are at least arguable, or where the expression de gustibus non est disputadum applies. Such as whether or not cake is a more delicious foodstuff than pie, or whether tramp's vomit would be the more desirable comestible.

Arguing that a two - toed sloth is faster than a leopard is not a legitimate subjective position. The person who holds that view needs to be corrected. Ditto someone who thinks 1+1 = 13 or that Perry Groves is better that Messi.

But that is it. It is a term not a known measure. This occurs time and again with words such as good, excellent, poor, terrible and atrocious etc. they are subjective terms and words.

Post #500224  Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:09 am 

Ronaldo will sell a lot of shirts and if they don't have enough fans coming to the games already, the queue will be a bit longer.

I dreaded him the first go round, this time I'm more melancholic about it. I do think he risks being 'Holmes vs Ali' when Mohammed was obviously way past it and shouldn't have been in the ring. He's kept himself in good shape. Who knows. He kinda has to start. I don't see Ronaldo being comfortable coming off the bench.

Post #500225  Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:54 am 

Ronaldo plays with more purpose, more drive and more self-respect than quite a few of our current players. If he came to Arsenal, and is made Captain, the energy around the rest of the team will go up. Just a thought, and puts perspective as to how low our combined energy as a team is.

Post #500226  Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:58 am 

https://dailycannon.com/2021/08/willian ... -decision/

Please, please, please .... go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laziest signing ever!

Post #500227  Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:47 am 

:15laughter: :15laughter:

Attachments:

Post #500228  Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:23 am 

gooner7 wrote:
https://dailycannon.com/2021/08/willian-not-in-training-after-corinthians-decision/

Please, please, please .... go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laziest signing ever!

Said it all once he removed the Arsenal references from his Instagram page. Knew he was gone.

Post #500229  Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:08 am 

Doesn't feel like there will be any more signings.

I know the market is a nightmare and it's very difficult to shift players but despite making 5 signings it still feels like we haven't done enough to close the gap significantly on the top four.

We really needed at least 3 or 4 top quality starters to bridge the gap in any meaningful way.

Maybe I am being unduly pessimistic and Ramsdale and Lokonga will make a huge impression this season, or maybe I have just lost faith in Arteta's ability to get the best out of the players he has at his disposal.

Post #500230  Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:25 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

A transfer that makes zero sense to most Arsenal fans given the absence of quality at right back or in midfield. If that happens I can’t get my head round that at all.

No mystery to me. Arteta doesn't like him. Seems to be the way with Arteta. There are players he just doesn't want and they won't get a proper run of games to prove themselves. AMN has been barely used by Arteta.

Post #500231  Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:27 am 

Zed wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
https://dailycannon.com/2021/08/willian-not-in-training-after-corinthians-decision/

Laziest signing ever!

Said it all once he removed the Arsenal references from his Instagram page. Knew he was gone.

Gaz probably thinks it’s a subjective judgment to see Willian as a good, bad or indifferent signing. However, I think it’s taking subjectivity to possibly an even greater extreme to put whatever rating of Willian one prefers down to his own laziness.

When I saw him play for Arsenal, I didn’t see a player unwilling to work or run around on the pitch. That’s the first thing I would expect to see from a player defined as lazy. I also didn’t see a player not wanting Arsenal to win in the games he played. He used to celebrate with other players when we scored and he genuinely looked thrilled when he got his only goal for us.

Although Gaz will say it’s a subjective judgment I think defining Willian as a poor signing for Arsenal is a credible subjective judgment. What I’m not going to do it put it down to his laziness. He hadn’t lost his technical ability when playing for Arsenal. Sure, he was 31 in his last season at Chelsea and 32 in his first season with us, so his peak was a year further behind him at Arsenal. Is that year an explanation for the big decline in performances with Arsenal? I find it hard to believe. It would probably make a slight difference but not as big a one as the level his performances arguably did drop by.

I suspect it has more to do with Chelsea’s style of play suiting Willian more than Arsenal’s. A few of us have said this and I remember Rich once went into it quite deeply and in greater detail than most of us. We were perhaps the wrong club at the wrong time for Willian to join if our football did suit him less. That’s how I prefer to explain Willian’s loss of form at Arsenal rather than writing him off as lazy.

Maybe I’ve missed something but he is a player I’ve not heard stories of attitude problems with before. That isn’t me calling him a model professional as what makes a model professional is presumably another subjective judgment. However, if the willingness of unwillingness to work is a facet of a player’s attitude, personally I prefer to consider alternative reasons than laziness.

Post #500232  Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:32 am 

If we do make 1 more signing then it needs to be a right back but I think that will be wholly reliant on getting Bellerin out the door. I don’t think we’ll move Bellerin on without buying

Post #500233  Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:49 am 

Willian looked to be an excellent player for Shaktar Donetsk. I do recall wishing that we would sign him back then.

Post #500234  Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:08 am 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

Gaz probably thinks it’s a subjective judgment to see Willian as a good, bad or indifferent signing. However, I think it’s taking subjectivity to possibly an even greater extreme to put whatever rating of Willian one prefers down to his own laziness.

When I saw him play for Arsenal, I didn’t see a player unwilling to work or run around on the pitch. That’s the first thing I would expect to see from a player defined as lazy. I also didn’t see a player not wanting Arsenal to win in the games he played. He used to celebrate with other players when we scored and he genuinely looked thrilled when he got his only goal for us.

Although Gaz will say it’s a subjective judgment I think defining Willian as a poor signing for Arsenal is a credible subjective judgment. What I’m not going to do it put it down to his laziness. He hadn’t lost his technical ability when playing for Arsenal. Sure, he was 31 in his last season at Chelsea and 32 in his first season with us, so his peak was a year further behind him at Arsenal. Is that year an explanation for the big decline in performances with Arsenal? I find it hard to believe. It would probably make a slight difference but not as big a one as the level his performances arguably did drop by.

I suspect it has more to do with Chelsea’s style of play suiting Willian more than Arsenal’s. A few of us have said this and I remember Rich once went into it quite deeply and in greater detail than most of us. We were perhaps the wrong club at the wrong time for Willian to join if our football did suit him less. That’s how I prefer to explain Willian’s loss of form at Arsenal rather than writing him off as lazy.

Maybe I’ve missed something but he is a player I’ve not heard stories of attitude problems with before. That isn’t me calling him a model professional as what makes a model professional is presumably another subjective judgment. However, if the willingness of unwillingness to work is a facet of a player’s attitude, personally I prefer to consider alternative reasons than laziness.

So he is not lazy. I'm just a lazy forum poster with one-liners to state my opinion. In any case, from my tinted glasses, I see laziness.
Ronaldo could be a good barometer for the measure of what laziness is.

Post #500235  Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:18 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Bernard wrote:

So he is not lazy. I'm just a lazy forum poster with one-liners to state my opinion. In any case, from my tinted glasses, I see laziness.

I just didn’t see a player unwilling to run about.

Post #500236  Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:34 am 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

No mystery to me. Arteta doesn't like him. Seems to be the way with Arteta. There are players he just doesn't want and they won't get a proper run of games to prove themselves. AMN has been barely used by Arteta.

He seemed to fall out of favour once he said he didn't want to play at right back. It's a shame as I think with a bit of work he could be the best right back at the club.

As a central midfielder he doesn't seem to be good enough technically. I don't think he would be an improvement over Partey, Lokonga or Xhaka.

Post #500237  Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:38 am 

socrates wrote:

I know the market is a nightmare and it's very difficult to shift players but despite making 5 signings it still feels like we haven't done enough to close the gap significantly on the top four.

We really needed at least 3 or 4 top quality starters to bridge the gap in any meaningful way.

Maybe I am being unduly pessimistic and Ramsdale and Lokonga will make a huge impression this season, or maybe I have just lost faith in Arteta's ability to get the best out of the players he has at his disposal.

Arsenal were never going to close the gap on the top 4 in one or two windows. It does appear that the club have got almost every player Arteta wanted. I think Arteta will be given until Christmas to get results.

The squad as it stands could be quite a good fit for Conte based on how his Chelsea side played. He could be an interesting short term appointment to get Arsenal challenging again.

Post #500238  Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:47 am 

Ben wrote:
dec wrote:

He seemed to fall out of favour once he said he didn't want to play at right back. It's a shame as I think with a bit of work he could be the best right back at the club.

As a central midfielder he doesn't seem to be good enough technically. I don't think he would be an improvement over Partey, Lokonga or Xhaka.

I agree Ben, in both your view that Arteta went off AMN (as dec implied) when he said he wanted to be a midfielder and that he wasn’t good enough technically to play there, in particular his passing.

Post #500239  Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:48 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Ronaldo is a great example of a player keeping himself in outstanding physical condition. However, he is absolutely selfish on the pitch and is not a team-player at all. He frequently moans at team-mates for marginally mis-placed passes. The guy is a narcissist. Brilliant brilliant goal scorer but it is all about him, not the team.

Post #500240  Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:49 am 

socrates wrote:

I think they are trying to create a long term plan and are fed up with short term signings like Willian and Luiz who just take the money and disappear and the new transfer policy reflects this. If short term results suffer so be it. Watching Peter Čech celebrate in the directors box must really take the biscuit after his stint with us.

There’s a lot to be gleaned from These comments on arseblogger

https://arseblog.news/2021/08/its-a-dec ... -strategy/

It’s a decision we made a few months ago, how we could move the club forward, the time that was going to take and the advantage that would have medium and long-term. We stick to that and we will try to execute that in the best possible way.

[ 537937 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12503, 12504, 12505, 12506, 12507, 12508, 12509 ... 13449  Next