Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:47 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Googlebot, warrior and 415 guests

Post #504401  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:48 pm 

No proper team should ever fail to win after being two up at home.

As for Xhaka, he should be fined by the club. The fans pay his wages. How dare he show disrespect towards the Arsenal supporters. In my opinion they were only booing him because he was walking slowly off instead of running when it was clear to everyone that we needed as much time as possible to win the game. What a *%^@*** *%^@ show of a club.

Post #504402  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:54 pm 

I don't like the way we play , don't like the manager , can't stand the "captain" , not too fussed with most of the players

..... begs the question why the hell did I get up at 4.30 am to watch the garbage :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

Post #504403  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:55 pm 

At the start of the season var wouldn’t have ruled zaha as a penalty - clear prevent for clear pens not given at that stage of the season. It also wouldn’t have ruled out our goal.
How can we have this biased system in our league?

Post #504404  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:57 pm 

We needed to dump a whole lot of rubbish this summer - sadly we held on to a lot of it and made one of them captain. Hands down one of the worst signings we’ve ever made, put the signing on wenger but the fact emery sees him as unstoppable is just as unforgivable

Post #504405  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:00 pm 

Not sure anymore that Emery will outlast Özil.
Not had much confidence in Emery for a while and feel that Özil is a luxury we can no longer afford both in financial and football terms. It is obvious that his days at the club are numbered but just not that sure who will last longest.

Emery could be gone soon. Clearly the dressing room is not a happy place.

Post #504406  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:01 pm 

Wirral Gooner wrote:
In my opinion they were only booing him because he was walking slowly off instead of running when it was clear to everyone that we needed as much time as possible to win the game.

Let’s be honest here,

He was booed off because he’s a championship player at best and 60 thousand people know it but the clueless manager doesn’t

Post #504407  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:04 pm 

Rich wrote:
At the start of the season var wouldn’t have ruled zaha as a penalty - clear prevent for clear pens not given at that stage of the season. It also wouldn’t have ruled out our goal.
How can we have this biased system in our league?

The first penalty was a “var” penalty and the ref got it completely right first time, the 2nd decision to rule out Sokratis goal was insane.

All said We still didn’t deserve to win, our performances are horrendous, we are falling apart and visibly worse than last season,

Post #504408  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:05 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Wirral Gooner wrote:
In my opinion they were only booing him because he was walking slowly off instead of running when it was clear to everyone that we needed as much time as possible to win the game.

Let’s be honest here,

He was booed off because he’s a championship player at best and 60 thousand people know it but the clueless manager doesn’t

He was *%^@ as well. That goes without saying.

Post #504409  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:31 pm 

At the end of wengers reign we were by some distance the worst team in the league in terms of defensive organisation, individual mistakes, giving away penalties, off the ball knowhow, general defensive structure and positional play. It was non existent. Any new manager had an absolute open goal to improve us in all those areas. Emery has not only made us worse he’s taken away any enjoyment at the other end of the pitch by completely stifling any creative and attacking play.
If that isn’t a recipe for a sacking I don’t know what is. No doubt whatsoever emery will be in charge until we can’t qualify for the champions league, which because of the weak Europa League will be right at the end of the season even if we’re down in 10th

Post #504410  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:41 pm 

Rich wrote:
The fans have spent 8-10 years of complete frustration under wenger...
I wasn't frustrated when we won 3 FA cups in Arsene's latter years - absolutely loved it. Would love it again under Emery, but will it happen?

Post #504411  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:04 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Rich wrote:
The fans have spent 8-10 years of complete frustration under wenger...
I wasn't frustrated when we won 3 FA cups in Arsene's latter years - absolutely loved it. Would love it again under Emery, but will it happen?

What the first fa cup too?

Liar, he almost got fired after the semi

Post #504412  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:18 pm 

If Xhaka takes on the fans as he did today it is a fight he simply will not win, and it will get him out of the club. I’ve never seen it but can you imagine your own fans booing every single touch of one of their own players - his position would be untenable and they’d have to take him out of the team and sell him.

Post #504413  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:28 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Never frustrated at all with our FA Cup wins - loved every moment, especially seeing the guys hold the Cup aloft and smiling.

Post #504414  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:33 pm 

Rich wrote:
If Xhaka takes on the fans as he did today it is a fight he simply will not win, and it will get him out of the club. I’ve never seen it but can you imagine your own fans booing every single touch of one of their own players - his position would be untenable and they’d have to take him out of the team and sell him.
I recall Eboue being on the wrong end of some very nasty behaviour by so-called Arsenal fans. Sometimes it makes a man stronger - he ended up a minor cult figure - but I hate to see any Arsenal player or manager booed by their own fans. Leave that to the oppostion fans - there are enough willing to do that job without us helping them.

Post #504415  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:57 pm 

Chambers totally out of his depth. He absolutely cost us. Last week his crossing was terrible. He must be dropped and sold in January along with Xhaka. As for VAR - I told you so last year.

Post #504416  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:04 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Chambers totally out of his depth. He absolutely cost us. Last week his crossing was terrible. He must be dropped and sold in January along with Xhaka. As for VAR - I told you so last year.

Really

I thought he was incredibly unlucky with 2 harsh var decisions

Post #504417  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:16 pm 

We’ve conceded 30 of the last 31 penalties given against us in the league. Miles above the average conversion rate for pens. Čech saves one, amazing that none of them even wide, over or woodwork

Post #504418  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:34 pm 

Strange that no var replays are shown on the big screens (although I think Bertrand’s red was possibly accidentally shown) if var is correcting or overturning such clear and obvious errors there should be no problem showing it on the big screen, if they are clear and obvious errors most people would have to agree with the decision. If there is any doubt we’ve been told var is not re-refereeing games and they stick with the infield decision. Ruling out the winner today has to rank up there as the worst decision this season

Post #504419  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:35 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
I recall Eboue being on the wrong end of some very nasty behaviour by so-called Arsenal fans. Sometimes it makes a man stronger - he ended up a minor cult figure - but I hate to see any Arsenal player or manager booed by their own fans. Leave that to the oppostion fans - there are enough willing to do that job without us helping them.

I agree with you OMOH. It wasn’t pleasant. It was a small minority of the fans doing it, but it wasn’t nice to see.

Post #504420  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:36 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

What do you mean?
If you are referring to the 2013/14 season right? I also claim that I enjoyed beating Stoke in the FA cup final. So I must also be a liar?

And I don't recall Wenger almost getting fired after we beat Wigan in the semis?

Post #504421  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:36 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Rich wrote:

Eboue turned that round himself with his humble attitude, also often showing his personality and fun with the fans. Let’s see how Xhaka handles it

Post #504422  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:38 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Rich wrote:

It almost always says more about the "fans" than the player. The kind of people who would vote for Trump.

Post #504423  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:49 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Really

I thought he was incredibly unlucky with 2 harsh var decisions

First was a nail on penalty & the second he was too slow and failed to even try to stop the cross. It was him wasn’t it. As for the lost goal - yep harsh.

Post #504424  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:52 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

What do you mean?
If you are referring to the 2013/14 season right? I also claim that I enjoyed beating Stoke in the FA cup final. So I must also be a liar?

And I don't recall Wenger almost getting fired after we beat Wigan in the semis?

If we lost that semi he would have gone.

It was a wretched season apart from the cup run.

Post #504425  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:33 pm 

There is no fluidity to our play. We went two up from set pieces, not through attacking prowess.

A big decision needs to me made over Emery. There has been no real progress in the 15 months he's been here, infact we are arguably slightly worse both defensively and offensively.

Giving the captaincy to a player who should not even be an automatic starter was just plain stupid.

The real question is whether there is a suitable replacement for Emery who is currently available and gettable.

Post #504426  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:36 pm 

Rich wrote:
Eboue turned that round himself with his humble attitude, also often showing his personality and fun with the fans. Let’s see how Xhaka handles it
Yes, that was greatly to his credit. He came out of it a bigger man, though still a rather erratic performer!

Post #504427  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:41 pm 

I thought VAR only overrules the ref when there is a clear and obvious error. The first intervention was debatable but probably was a pen, the second intervention was scandalous because there was no clear and obvious foul, infact an argument could be made that Chambers was the one who was fouled.

Post #504428  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:03 pm 

socrates wrote:
There is no fluidity to our play. We went two up from set pieces, not through attacking prowess.

A big decision needs to me made over Emery. There has been no real progress in the 15 months he's been here, infact we are arguably slightly worse both defensively and offensively.

Giving the captaincy to a player who should not even be an automatic starter was just plain stupid.

The real question is whether there is a suitable replacement for Emery who is currently available and gettable.

Ability to score from set-pieces is much welcomed though. Defensively we were disorganised - not sure why Emery still can't get this right.

Xhaka should be "rested". Would like to see Torreira come in as Guendouzi's partner, and get them to imitate the Cazorla-Coquelin combo.

Post #504429  Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:14 am 

Still seething from the disappointing result. We were robbed, no doubt. But even more seething is the way we crumbled. 2-0 up, goodness. :36angers:

Post #504430  Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:50 am 

Whilst i do put the blame squarely at emery’s door for failing to improve the defence we also have insolratis, Luiz, Leno and Xhaka 4 player who play every game and who must have amassed well over 1000 top flight appearances between them, you would have hoped there would be something coming from the players, some organising, basic principles of
Positioning, marking and shape.

Post #504431  Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:12 am 

Clattenburg has said the zaha pen shouldn’t have been a pen. He said chambers leg was planted and zaha engineered the contact by diving. So if one of the former top refs in this country thinks there is debate how are these decisions suddenly being over turned when not a single one was for 9 weeks

Post #504432  Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:41 am 

When we play Leicester away in a couple of weeks watch as they take the initiative, attack us and play with pace and dynamism. The first half will follow this pattern of play so much that an opening goal for Leicester will become a formality. We will meanwhile offer nothing on the counter despite Leicester’s two CB being pretty average.
That’s what top teams do, they impose themselves on the game, the play with pace they attack. At one point in the second half we had 48% possession at home to palace. This is not the tactics or style of a top team and the results it harvests are proving that beyond any doubt.

Post #504433  Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:02 am 

Rich wrote:
Clattenburg has said the zaha pen shouldn’t have been a pen. He said chambers leg was planted and zaha engineered the contact by diving. So if one of the former top refs in this country thinks there is debate how are these decisions suddenly being over turned when not a single one was for 9 weeks

They have been very clear that in order to overturn the refs decision it needs to be 100% clear that he made the wrong call. That's just not the case here, no matter how anyone tries to argue. It's two points being taken away from us, it's as simple as that, and our poor performance doesn't take that away. You don't deserve to have points taken away just because you're not playing well.

Post #504434  Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:26 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:

They have been very clear that in order to overturn the refs decision it needs to be 100% clear that he made the wrong call. That's just not the case here, no matter how anyone tries to argue. It's two points being taken away from us, it's as simple as that, and our poor performance doesn't take that away. You don't deserve to have points taken away just because you're not playing well.

Exactly the point I’ve made on here countless times when it comes to refs costing us games that we played poorly in. No matter how well or badly you play you deserve the correct ref calls, I hate the idea of ‘we shouldn’t have needed a ref decision to beat X team’ sometimes you will beat a team by only 1 goal and you don’t expect a ref to chalk off that perfectly good goal. 2 points stolen no doubt.
Add it to the pen not given at sheff Utd as well, changes the course of the game if that is given

Post #504435  Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:44 am 

Arsenal football club have created the fan base we have now. It is an hysterical fan base who are ready to implode at the slightest hint of failure whether that be at the game or on the internet. The over riding feeling of frustration and impatience in the arsenal fans has been created by the passive, underwhelming attitude of a club that was happy treading water for far too long. 10 odd years of total lack of ambition does something to fans and it can’t be corrected over night with a shiny new £72m player, however nice that present felt at the time. I don’t like the way the fans are at games, but I don’t blame them, they’ve been sold out too many times, they’ve been promised change they’ve been promised hard work, backbone, spirit, they’ve been promised the club and team will learn from their mistakes but they’ve been let down time and again. That is why the reaction from Arsenal fans is so shocking, so raw. They are ready to turn on anyone and anything. Certain players will bore the brunt of it but the reality is they are just a lightening rod for what has happened at our club for the past 10 years. The club seem to be doing so much right off the pitch but the buck stops with what happens on the pitch and at the moment I don’t even look forward to arsenal games, I’ve watched fewer games than any season in my memory and now actively look to do something else when Arsenal are playing, it is hard to justify investing the time in something so inherently dull and predictable.

Post #504436  Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:52 am 

Rich wrote:
Arsenal football club have created the fan base we have now. It is an hysterical fan base who are ready to implode at the slightest hint of failure whether that be at the game or on the internet. The over riding feeling of frustration and impatience in the arsenal fans has been created by the passive, underwhelming attitude of a club that was happy treading water for far too long. 10 odd years of total lack of ambition does something to fans and it can’t be corrected over night with a shiny new £72m player, however nice that present felt at the time. I don’t like the way the fans are at games, but I don’t blame them, they’ve been sold out too many times, they’ve been promised change they’ve been promised hard work, backbone, spirit, they’ve been promised the club and team will learn from their mistakes but they’ve been let down time and again. That is why the reaction from Arsenal fans is so shocking, so raw. They are ready to turn on anyone and anything. Certain players will bore the brunt of it but the reality is they are just a lightening rod for what has happened at our club for the past 10 years.

Yes we have had a decade of bad management

I never really found our fans glory hunting types, there have been boo boys in the past but the scenarios with Eboué and Xhaka are just different. Players just not good enough for the club.

The moment Xhaka was announced captain we all knew this was coming. It was discussed at length here. You make him captain you have to play him, you have to play him then the teams output is worse. It’s just bad management.

What happens now ? He’s definitely dropped for the next game.

Post #504437  Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:37 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
What happens now ? He’s definitely dropped for the next game.

Will he be though? I’m not convinced emery will drop him. Sure he’ll be left out of the league cup game but what about next week at home to wolves? Maybe to protect him from the home crowd and let thing settle down but probably straight back in v Leicester and conceding. A silly penalty against vardy

Post #504438  Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:59 am 

Rich wrote:
Exactly the point I’ve made on here countless times when it comes to refs costing us games that we played poorly in. No matter how well or badly you play you deserve the correct ref calls, I hate the idea of ‘we shouldn’t have needed a ref decision to beat X team’ sometimes you will beat a team by only 1 goal and you don’t expect a ref to chalk off that perfectly good goal. 2 points stolen no doubt.
Add it to the pen not given at sheff Utd as well, changes the course of the game if that is given

I thought the match day ref didn’t give the penalty and even booked Zaha for diving (rescinded when VAR gave the penalty as a yellow card didn’t appear next to his name on the ground’s scoreboard). The match day ref wasn’t to blame for VAR giving the penalty. Similarly, the match day ref allowed Sokratis late goal. It was again VAR that subsequently disallowed it.

I suspect people were hoping VAR would work like Hawkeye in cricket or tennis. Sadly that was probably naive. Where it does work in football is establishing whether the ball crossed the line fully for a goal, which uses a similar principle to whether the ball was hitting the stumps etc in cricket or whether a shot landed in or out in tennis.

But what is or isn’t a foul in the penalty area in football is far more down to personal interpretation and opinion. This is because penalties should be given for a foul in the box. The easy bit is whether the incident was in the box. The harder bit is defining if it was a foul or merely contact, because football is a contact sport and not all contact is a foul. The match day ref decided Zaha dived, which Rich said an experienced former ref Clattenberg agreed with after seeing it on video. The VAR ref, who is presumably an experienced current ref, felt it was a foul as I noticed various people did on here last night. Do you see what I mean? It’s down to individual interpretations and opinions. It isn’t an undeniable decision either way.

Penalty decisions for hand ball will be easier to get right if a penalty has to be given when a defending player touches the ball in the area. What makes such decisions more controversial is whether the hand ball was deliberate or accidental comes into the equation. I’m not up on the current rules enough to know which is the case these days.

Post #504439  Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:24 am 

Thought Ian Wright got it right on match of the day about Xhaka.

At the end of the day he’s had a handful of decent games for arsenal at best in several years. No right to be behaving in such a manner.

Kevin whitcher also wrote well about it today, referred back to people getting frustrated at Artetas limitations so isn’t it to b expected with Xhaka

Post #504440  Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:31 am 

I don't think VAR has anything to do with the ball crossing the line or not. That's goal line technology which has been around a couple of years now.

Re handball, it's a penalty regardless if it's accidental or not. That's new for this season onwards.

VAR in principle is a good thing but it's not being used correctly. If the on field ref is any doubt about a goal, foul etc then seek a second opinion or use the pitch side monitor. If the ref is happy with his initial decision then that should be final. It's a shambles at the moment. Fans have no idea why goals are being chalked off. Players celebrating goals will be a thing of the past as they won't know if it's a legitimate goal or not. It's farcical.

[ 572035 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12608, 12609, 12610, 12611, 12612, 12613, 12614 ... 14301  Next