Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf and 299 guests

Post #508521  Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:41 pm 

West Ham 1-0 up after ten minutes. Don't think we can expect Leicester to do us any favours today.

Post #508522  Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:49 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Beef Stew in the oven, sourdough sliced. Having a cheeky Guinness and flicks on the telly and oh spurs have lost again :laughing7:

Happy Sunday folks, good things are coming

Did you put some of the Guinness in with the stew? I think a bit of Guinness in with a stew works well with the sauce.

Post #508523  Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:55 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Beef Stew in the oven, sourdough sliced. Having a cheeky Guinness and flicks on the telly and oh spurs have lost again :laughing7:

Did you put some of the Guinness in with the stew? I think a bit of Guinness in with a stew works well with the sauce.

I did! Works beautifully

Post #508524  Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:15 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
West Ham 1-0 up after ten minutes. Don't think we can expect Leicester to do us any favours today.

Tielemans penalty puts it at 1-1.

:58big-emoticons:

Post #508525  Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:44 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Also some prune juice - from a Marco Pierre White recipe I have used often leaving plenty of satisfied folk around the table.

Post #508526  Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:46 pm 

Didn.t see the Tiny Totts game. Did the Wolves players celebrate with their fans? Just asking...

Post #508527  Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:47 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

2-1 Leicester now. My jinx worked!

Post #508528  Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:47 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Looking good (so far)

Post #508529  Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:57 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Delicious!

Post #508530  Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:00 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:
Right now I wouldn’t worry too much if Man U have supposedly easier fixtures, they’ve just had 8 straight games against teams outside of the big 6 plus Leicester and they’ve only won 3 of them.

Yeah I'm not worried really, my point was they're under huge pressure to win these easier fixtures. I can see them dropping points to Brighton next week, a good team that plays the kind of high pressing football Man Utd often struggle with.

It's remarkable how little impact the managerial changes at united and Spurs have made. I'm not surprised that United are still a disorganized rabble. But I expected Spurs to lose some of their customary fecklessness. Long may their woes last.

Post #508531  Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:06 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Yeah I'm not worried really, my point was they're under huge pressure to win these easier fixtures. I can see them dropping points to Brighton next week, a good team that plays the kind of high pressing football Man Utd often struggle with.

It's remarkable how little impact the managerial changes at united and Spurs have made. I'm not surprised that United are still a disorganized rabble. But I expected Spurs to lose some of their customary fecklessness. Long may their woes last.

How can you possibly say that about a club with this track record

Norwich Charity Cup Winners: 1919/1920
Norwich Hospital Charity Cup Winners: 1946/1947, 1949/1950 (joint)
Ipswich Hospital Charity Cup Winners: 1951/1952 (joint)

Post #508532  Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:10 pm 

Not to mention the Sun International Challenge Trophy (Swaziland) Winners: 1983 :1laughter:

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/the-cl ... b-honours/

Post #508533  Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:20 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Looking good (so far)

But less so now. Sigh.

Post #508534  Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:22 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Looking good (so far)

But less so now. Sigh.

Not sure that should've stood, looks like he scored with his arm? Anyway, a draw hurts Leicester more than us. Two points dropped for West Ham is still a good result for us if it stands.

Post #508535  Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:25 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
But less so now. Sigh.

Not sure that should've stood, looks like he scored with his arm? Anyway, a draw hurts Leicester more than us. Two points dropped for West Ham is still a good result for us if it stands.

You’re right. It’s been a brilliant weekend for us.

Post #508536  Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:01 pm 

I’ve seen mentions of the difficulty of each club’s remaining games. I’ve put together what I consider the hardest fixtures of those clubs who I perceive as having a good chance of finishing fourth. I’m sorry but I’m not looking at Wolves as having a good enough chance of a top four finish to be included. People may well disagree with me writing Wolves off like this, for reasons I understand. But I just don’t see them as having a good enough chance to look at their remaining matches.

What I’ve done is taken the games each of Arsenal, West Ham, Tottenham and Manchester United have against Manchester City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, West Ham, Tottenham and Manchester United. Once again, I’m not including any remaining games against Wolves as worthy of inclusion. Again, some may disagree with me on that, but it’s the decision I’ve taken, wrong or right.

ARSENAL
Manchester United (h)
West Ham (a)
Tottenham (a)
Chelsea (a)
Liverpool (h)

WEST HAM
Liverpool (a)
Tottenham (a)
Chelsea(a)
Arsenal (h)
Manchester City (h)

TOTTENHAM
Manchester City (a)
Manchester United (a)
West Ham (h)
Liverpool (a)
Arsenal (h)

MANCHESTER UNITED
Manchester City (a)
Tottenham (h)
Liverpool (a)
Arsenal (a)
Chelsea (h)

I therefore perceive each of Arsenal, West Ham, Tottenham and Manchester United as all having five really difficult matches left. Of course, they are all likely to drop points in games against others in the league. But as things stand, numerically I don’t perceive there being a material difference in the difficulty of those four clubs remaining games.

Post #508537  Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:27 pm 

Bernard wrote:
I therefore perceive each of Arsenal, West Ham, Tottenham and Manchester United as all having five really difficult matches left. Of course, they are all likely to drop points in games against others in the league. But as things stand, numerically I don’t perceive there being a material difference in the difficulty of those four clubs remaining games.

If anything, our set of top fixtures look slightly easier in comparison. We've played City twice and have Liverpool at home. Chelsea away is a tough one obviously.

Both Man Utd and Tottenham have to play both City and Liverpool away, while West Ham have Liverpool and Chelsea away and also a home game against City. The head-to-head fixtures among the challengers for top four will be hugely important this season.

Post #508538  Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:08 pm 

Bernard wrote:
I’ve seen mentions of the difficulty of each club’s remaining games. I’ve put together what I consider the hardest fixtures of those clubs who I perceive as having a good chance of finishing fourth. I’m sorry but I’m not looking at Wolves as having a good enough chance of a top four finish to be included. People may well disagree with me writing Wolves off like this, for reasons I understand. But I just don’t see them as having a good enough chance to look at their remaining matches.

What I’ve done is taken the games each of Arsenal, West Ham, Tottenham and Manchester United have against Manchester City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, West Ham, Tottenham and Manchester United. Once again, I’m not including any remaining games against Wolves as worthy of inclusion. Again, some may disagree with me on that, but it’s the decision I’ve taken, wrong or right.

ARSENAL
Manchester United (h)
West Ham (a)
Tottenham (a)
Chelsea (a)
Liverpool (h)

WEST HAM
Liverpool (a)
Tottenham (a)
Chelsea(a)
Arsenal (h)
Manchester City (h)

TOTTENHAM
Manchester City (a)
Manchester United (a)
West Ham (h)
Liverpool (a)
Arsenal (h)

MANCHESTER UNITED
Manchester City (a)
Tottenham (h)
Liverpool (a)
Arsenal (a)
Chelsea (h)

Also worth noting that Arsenal have two games in hand on Man U. So if you put aside those 5 difficult fixtures, we have two easier ones in which to gain an advantage.

It's all to play for. I'd be most worried about Man Utd as they have the best squad.

Post #508539  Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:27 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Bernard wrote:

If anything, our set of top fixtures look slightly easier in comparison. We've played City twice and have Liverpool at home. Chelsea away is a tough one obviously.

Both Man Utd and Tottenham have to play both City and Liverpool away, while West Ham have Liverpool and Chelsea away and also a home game against City. The head-to-head fixtures among the challengers for top four will be hugely important this season.

Also worth noting Man U and West Ham have European matches, although I suspect Man U will only have 2 more. Spurs and West Ham are still in the FA Cup as well

Post #508540  Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:59 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Bernard wrote:

It’s also worth noting that of the five hardest (as I perceive them) games each of Arsenal, West Ham, Tottenham and Manchester United have left, in every case they all have two at home and three away. So arguably there’s nothing numerically in the split of home and away matches that benefits or disadvantages anybody.

Post #508541  Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:01 pm 

Norton-Cuffy started and was man of the match for Lincoln this weekend. Young right back for us, physically he’s ahead of his age which will help him transition in to mend football, particularly lower league men’s football.

Post #508542  Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:26 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I've made a call. Leicester will get a result.

Post #508543  Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:28 pm 

Rich wrote:
4th place very much in our hands right now…..and if only to demonstrate how good a position we’ve put ourselves in that actually 3rd place is in our own hands. Far fetched I know but win our games in hand and beat Chelsea and we’d be ahead of Chelsea

Been saying 3rd place is possible IF we kept beating the teams below us and drawing against the challengers and Chelsea falters a bit. Dropping points against Burnley was unforgiveable.

Post #508544  Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:50 am 

I have very little doubt you all congratulate Kroenke for their Super Bowl win. Also, your "sister" team, the LA Rams on their being "world champions". Hahaha..I'm in a troll kinda mood today.

Post #508545  Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:51 am 

...I've learned from the best. :42laughter:

Post #508546  Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:22 am 

Good that Kronke’s Rams won the Super Bowl. Hopefully it gives him a taste for success and a desire to focus on another of his franchises!

Post #508547  Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:57 am 

I wouldn't count on that. I said this a long time ago. He had to make a good faith effort to make the Rams good. That was his 'unofficial' agreement with the NFL in giving him the LA franchise.

Notice how these same Rams couldn't make the playoffs in St. Louis, but all of a sudden are in the Super Bowl twice in the last few years, playoffs every year and all of a sudden one of the best teams in the league? It's not a coincidence.

He can (and should have done) do the same for us. He just doesn't want to. He moved to LA, he is hands on with the team. When was the last time Stan has been to a game? FA cup final maybe?

On a sidenote, the Super Bowl was a bit of a David & Goliath affair. Rams should have won by more than they did.

Post #508548  Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:59 am 

...he also did the City/Chelsea approach. Buy the best players he could for the positions. He didn't build young players from the uni ranks like most teams. He picked off the best players from other teams, especially weaker NFL teams.

Post #508549  Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:10 am 

This would be my hastily put together team of the season so far:
Ramsdale
Trent Alexander-Arnold, Dias, Rudiger, Cancelo
Bernardo Silva, Rice, Foden
Salah, Jota, Bowen

Subs: Sa, Laporte, Gabriel, Tomiyasu, Rodri, Gallagher, Raphinha, Dennis

From an Arsenal perspective you could make a case for White, Emile Smith Rowe and Saka as well

Post #508550  Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:32 am 

Rich wrote:
This would be my hastily put together team of the season so far:
Ramsdale
Trent Alexander-Arnold, Dias, Rudiger, Cancelo
Bernardo Silva, Rice, Foden
Salah, Jota, Bowen

Subs: Sa, Laporte, Gabriel, Tomiyasu, Rodri, Gallagher, Raphinha, Dennis

From an Arsenal perspective you could make a case for White, Emile Smith Rowe and Saka as well

I would say there’s more of an argument for Ødegaard than Smith Rowe.

Post #508551  Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:52 am 

Spurs and Conte was always going to be an interesting one to see how it played out. For me it was fairly obvious that due to the quite short contract length signed and Conte's history that he would likely jump ship as soon as he wasn't backed in the market in the way he wanted. Spurs HAD to sell Kane in the summer for me. Even if it was 'just' £100m rather than the higher price they wanted.
Of curse they needed to invest the money well, and given they signed Gil and Royal for a combined £50m+lamella there is every reason to say they'd have likely failed in that.

When I look through the Spurs squad I'm struggling to see where the future is. Their best players are their oldest players (or want out), Kane, Son, Lloris, Dier, Moura. Their central midfield Hojberg, Skipp, Winks, Bentacur is a midfield where you only really want one of those in the team as a deep lying play-maker or combative ball winner but for me none of them are good enough. They have problems at wing back and lack creativity. It looks like the sort of weak and unbalanced squad filled with poor recruitment we had 3-4 years ago.
Compare Spurs squad in age order against Arsenal's and just look at the difference in talent in players aged 24 or under.....it is chalk and cheese
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/tottenh ... verein/148
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-arse ... /verein/11

Conte was probably the right manager for Man U, is ego is big enough to handle it and Man U were probably more likely to give him the spend he needs/wants.

Post #508552  Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:03 am 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/manches ... verein/985

And then on to Man U. They have the ability if they want to spend their way out of this, but looking at their squad, the majority of their main players are 27 or over. Greenwood may be lucky to play professional football again, wan-bisaka is not good enough, Sancho should come good but has gone backwards, ditto rashford. McTominey would have probably been moved on if he wasn't home grown - not good enough.

Then I just look at their players and set up every game, it was particularly damning that Hassenhuttel said something like "It is well known Man U are not good going in reverse" ie: tracking back and without the ball. It is totally true, Ronaldo can't press - he's from an era where forward pressing wasn't a thing. and Rashford, Sancho and Greendwood are all poor defensively and off the ball. There was a reason Southgate was picking Saka ahead of Sancho for England at the Euros - Southgate is a conservative manager and he demanded that protection from his wide men.

Defensively De Gea may make saved but he's not a modern GK, he's not great with the ball at his feet, doesn't sweep up and stays glued to his line any time the ball is in the box so can't relieve pressure. Every other country in Europe is laughing at the fee paid for Maguire. The guy is simply not a top CB for a club with trophy ambitions. He's slow, immobile and can't defend high up the pitch so you can't compress space with him in the side. Wan-Bissaka is another example of Man U almost being lazy in the transfer market and simply purchasing the flavour of the month from another prem team. He's good at sliding tackles but adds nothing offensively. Man U can't even try the lop sided formation we have that allows Tomiyasu to tuck in and not have to do the traditional overlapping full back role because Wan-Bissaka is so poor on the ball generally. Man U's central midfield has been pretty woeful for years, and now they are relying on two strikers with a combined age of 73 years old. Signing Ronaldo was a complete vanity signing with zero thought behind it.

We may still end up not pipping Spurs or Man U for 4th but when I look at the state of the squads and the general play, systems and tactics - and potential for all 3 squads we are absolutely miles ahead.

Post #508553  Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:31 am 

Hey Rich. Did you write this article? :laughing7:

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... Jzu9SwdHv4

The incidents didn’t even rate a mention in the Times report on the game. We do seem to draw the short straw repeatedly.

Post #508554  Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:11 pm 

Rich wrote:
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/manchester-united/startseite/verein/985

And then on to Man U. They have the ability if they want to spend their way out of this, but looking at their squad, the majority of their main players are 27 or over. Greenwood may be lucky to play professional football again, wan-bisaka is not good enough, Sancho should come good but has gone backwards, ditto rashford. McTominey would have probably been moved on if he wasn't home grown - not good enough.

Then I just look at their players and set up every game, it was particularly damning that Hassenhuttel said something like "It is well known Man U are not good going in reverse" ie: tracking back and without the ball. It is totally true, Ronaldo can't press - he's from an era where forward pressing wasn't a thing. and Rashford, Sancho and Greendwood are all poor defensively and off the ball. There was a reason Southgate was picking Saka ahead of Sancho for England at the Euros - Southgate is a conservative manager and he demanded that protection from his wide men.

Defensively De Gea may make saved but he's not a modern GK, he's not great with the ball at his feet, doesn't sweep up and stays glued to his line any time the ball is in the box so can't relieve pressure. Every other country in Europe is laughing at the fee paid for Maguire. The guy is simply not a top CB for a club with trophy ambitions. He's slow, immobile and can't defend high up the pitch so you can't compress space with him in the side. Wan-Bissaka is another example of Man U almost being lazy in the transfer market and simply purchasing the flavour of the month from another prem team. He's good at sliding tackles but adds nothing offensively. Man U can't even try the lop sided formation we have that allows Tomiyasu to tuck in and not have to do the traditional overlapping full back role because Wan-Bissaka is so poor on the ball generally. Man U's central midfield has been pretty woeful for years, and now they are relying on two strikers with a combined age of 73 years old. Signing Ronaldo was a complete vanity signing with zero thought behind it.

We may still end up not pipping Spurs or Man U for 4th but when I look at the state of the squads and the general play, systems and tactics - and potential for all 3 squads we are absolutely miles ahead.

Interesting analysis, and I agree the future looks bright, especially if we do manage to get back into the CL. CL football, and a sense of a club on the rise, should make us a lot more attractive to the kind of player we want.

I still just fancy United to pip us for 4th because of their squad depth. One could imagine that injuries or having to rotate a couple of their 'star' players might actually improve them.

Post #508555  Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:17 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Hey Rich. Did you write this article? :laughing7:

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... Jzu9SwdHv4

The incidents didn’t even rate a mention in the Times report on the game. We do seem to draw the short straw repeatedly.

Social media will be full of this kind of stuff from Arsenal fans for the rest of the season, simply highlighting the instances where we appear to be the only ones to fall foul of such nuanced law enforcing.

Post #508556  Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:24 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Interesting analysis, and I agree the future looks bright, especially if we do manage to get back into the CL. CL football, and a sense of a club on the rise, should make us a lot more attractive to the kind of player we want.

I still just fancy United to pip us for 4th because of their squad depth. One could imagine that injuries or having to rotate a couple of their 'star' players might actually improve them.

The bump in the project getting CL this year could do for us is immense. I can't think that was the target this year but certain things have aligned to make it a real opportunity. If we did get CL we have key contracts for Saka, Martinelli and Saliba coming up to 2 years left, CL would surely persuade them all to sign on. We're also going to need a couple of strikers this summer, offering them CL would be highly beneficial. And there is the guaranteed income that those games bring. CL, contract renewals, 2 strikers, a central mid a back up RB, Saliba back, and a few extra faces to build depth and things look very exciting.

Post #508557  Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:28 pm 

3 games in hand on West Ham and 2 points behind. Technically those 3 games in hand are spurs (a), Liverpool (h) and Chelsea (a) - so I don't think we can put too much weight on the games in hand just yet.

Post #508558  Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:30 pm 

Decaf wrote:

I’m a little more confident than you about us getting fourth rather than Manchester United. Our biggest problem is not finding a striker from somewhere in January. At his best Lacazette wasn’t a top level player, and he’s now even worse than he was at his best. Nketiah is even worse.

Maybe Martinelli or Smith Rowe could do a job up front? For all the deserved criticism of Ronaldo being a past it has been, he’d still walk into Arsenal’s first team.

Post #508559  Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:50 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

I’m a little more confident than you about us getting fourth rather than Manchester United. Our biggest problem is not finding a striker from somewhere in January. At his best Lacazette wasn’t a top level player, and he’s now even worse than he was at his best. Nketiah is even worse.

Maybe Martinelli or Smith Rowe could do a job up front? For all the deserved criticism of Ronaldo being a past it has been, he’d still walk into Arsenal’s first team.

100%.

Cavani, rashford and martial would too. I do wonder if we could see Smithers up front at some point. Like I said a few days back I think you’ll see an experiment at some point.

Post #508560  Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:32 pm 

Spanish dam down to 15% capacity has uncovered Aceredo village there not seen since 1992.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... index.html

[ 537937 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12711, 12712, 12713, 12714, 12715, 12716, 12717 ... 13449  Next