Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], grantyboy, john1 and 272 guests

Post #480441  Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:40 pm 

Rich wrote:
There are 2 big problems with the squad at the moment.
1) not enough quality in key positions
2) highly paid and expensive players not performing and not easy to shift on - Willian and Aubameyang being the worst at the moment

This squad automatically loses Luiz, Ceballos, Ryan, Ødegaard this summer. All 4 positions need to be replaced. I like Ryan but he's not home grown so it places limits on the squad in a position most teams now opt for a home grown player.

I don't see a future for Elneny or Chambers, in theory neither of those need replacing but we would be a bit light on numbers in central midfield. Kolasinac also I'm sure would be sold in the summer.

Decisions to be made on Willock, Nelson, AMN and Nketiah. Either loans, sold or I think reluctantly part of the squad, for me it is selling because right now I think the money we get from them would be more beneficial than what they give to the squad.

Finally you have Lacazette, someone who has performed well recently but I just can't see him being the striker that takes us in to the top 4. More importantly is that he will have 1 year left on his deal - so again you sell, you let him run down and leave for free or you give him his last big payday and 3 year deal. It needs to be a sale.

That's 12 players who should, in my view leave the club in some form. 14 if you add Torreira and Guendouzi. That is pretty crazy.

If we stick my making decisions on players who have 2 years to run on their contract then this summer also needs decisions on Leno, Bellerin, Xhaka, Nelson, Emile Smith Rowe, Aubameyang, Willian. I suspect the last two get let run to zero. Emile Smith Rowe and Leno clearly get tied to new deals. as for the other 3, Bellerin could be tempted by a move, Xhaka will stay and Nelson might be a loan but should probably be a permanent move.

If I was rebuilding this squad I'd be in the market for:
No.2 GK - homegrown status
back up left back (tyrick mitchell on a free?)
new right back better than bellerin - he's no better than 10th best RB in the league
new right centre half - irrespective of Saliba coming back
new defensive midfielder to allow flexibility in how we play and how Partey plays
new creative midfielder (could be Ødegaard - or similar)
2x new striker
14 out and 8 in. Chances are we won't need as big a squad next year if we aren't in Europe!

I love your optimism, Rich, but this is Arsenal, a club that historically strings outs it negotiations for an eternity. You think we can do 8 major signings in 1 summer?

Post #480442  Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:41 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
I’m staggered you even need to ask

They have Barkley and we have Xhaka, we have Emile smith Rowe and they have grealish. You simply can’t be that much weaker in the middle of the pitch. You won’t be effective

What is it then that a midfielder superior to Xhaka would've done yesterday? We had control of the play for the most part, we got the ball to our attacking players in dangerous areas on many occasions and they couldn't find ways to unlock the Villa defense. No matter how much better Grealish is, surely Saka, Pépé, Aubameyang etc should be good enough to create more chances?

We've seen this over and over again this season, even against teams fighting relegation. Even if one thinks the squad isn't good enough for top four, nobody can sit with a straight face and say a lack of quality in the squad is the reason we barely created anything against the likes of Burnley, Leeds and Sheffield United.

Totally agree, Haz.

Post #480443  Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:49 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
I’m staggered you even need to ask

They have Barkley and we have Xhaka, we have Emile smith Rowe and they have grealish. You simply can’t be that much weaker in the middle of the pitch. You won’t be effective

What is it then that a midfielder superior to Xhaka would've done yesterday? We had control of the play for the most part, we got the ball to our attacking players in dangerous areas on many occasions and they couldn't find ways to unlock the Villa defense. No matter how much better Grealish is, surely Saka, Pépé, Aubameyang etc should be good enough to create more chances?

We've seen this over and over again this season, even against teams fighting relegation. Even if one thinks the squad isn't good enough for top four, nobody can sit with a straight face and say a lack of quality in the squad is the reason we barely created anything against the likes of Burnley, Leeds and Sheffield United.

You simply can’t have a midfield with such little passing and creative ability. We have plenty of good players but no creative players in midfield. Partey is a fantastic engine but aside from that there’s not much there.

Post #480444  Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:52 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
The thing is Bernard Ramsey scored 65 goals for us and provided an assist every other game. His passing isn’t as slick as ceballos but his game was about energy, workrate and making runs from midfield between the lines into the penalty area. We’re missing that as his replacements aren’t prolific and just seen to want to operate deeper

I was never his biggest fan either but we’ve missed him since he’s gone it’s undeniable

I don’t think it’s undeniable at all. You’re ignoring the type of players he had alongside him. If you put Ramsey into this current Arsenal set up playing Arteta’s style, I have genuine doubts he’d improve us. Also, hasn’t he been a disappointment at Juventus? I presume so if they’re trying to get rid of him.

Pirlo doesn't want Ramsey apparently.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/totten ... d-by-spurs

Post #480445  Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:53 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Trying to make a beef stew but can never get the consistency right for some reason.

If anyone knows the key to the success of this pop us a response please,

As well as your usual gravy, hopefully made quite thick, I think port adds something to beef stew rather than just using red wine (assuming you are using red wine). Not forgetting the tomato purée, a bit of mustard, horseradish and a few splashes of Worcestershire sauce. What type of onion are you using? Shallots? You have seasoned the beef I hope?

Post #480446  Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:57 pm 

Zed wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I don’t think it’s undeniable at all. You’re ignoring the type of players he had alongside him. If you put Ramsey into this current Arsenal set up playing Arteta’s style, I have genuine doubts he’d improve us. Also, hasn’t he been a disappointment at Juventus? I presume so if they’re trying to get rid of him.

One has to assume he doesn’t rate him then.

Post #480447  Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:00 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

He was only ever signed because he was free anyway,

It was a no brainer for them

Post #480448  Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:04 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Trying to make a beef stew but can never get the consistency right for some reason.

As well as your usual gravy, hopefully made quite thick, I think port adds something to beef stew rather than just using red wine (assuming you are using red wine). Not forgetting the tomato purée, a bit of mustard, horseradish and a few splashes of Worcestershire sauce. What type of onion are you using? Shallots? You have seasoned the beef I hope?

I haven’t made a traditional gravy I used a base of onion, celery and carrots with beef seasoned with salt pepper and flour as a thickening agent.

Instead of wine or port (let me know if that works better) I’ve used Guinness and a little bit of stock. Bay leaves and a little Tyne. Tomato purée

I’m not using a slow cooker though I’m using hob and oven ?

I’ve just checked the consistency and it seems slightly better this time than last time which was frankly really disappointing

Post #480449  Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:30 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

He was only ever signed because he was free anyway,

It was a no brainer for them

Juve have a history of signing the best free agent in a number of seasons, Pirlo, Dani Alves, Khedira, Rabiot, Emre Can, and Ramsey. It means they are all on huge wages though.

If Juve want Ramsey to leave they need to find someone to pick up his £400k a week wages. Absolutely nobody is doing that right now. So it depends on Ramsey, is he happy not being picked but picking up his money or is he willing to cut his wages by more than half to play some football? I wouldn't take him back unless it was as a 'bonus' signig to our proper squad building and he was on loan and we weren't paying his wages! So basically a no from me

Post #480450  Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:34 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Partey is a fantastic engine but aside from that there’s not much there.

I think Partey is a little bit more than a fantastic engine. Of course his passing isn't de bruyne levels but he's more than adequate.
Teams that play 4-2-3-1 don't tend to get that much creativity from the 2 central midfielders, what you need from those two is to move the ball forward quickly and accurately to the front 4 who between them should share the bulk of the responsibility for goals and assists - and I'd bring the full-backs in to that for the assists at least.
My issue with our lack of creativity has always been the front 3 we pick being players who like to be on the end of chances but not that much involved in the build up play and probably not what you'd call creative players of the ilk that City and Liverpool have in their front 3.

Post #480451  Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:43 pm 

socrates wrote:
I love your optimism, Rich, but this is Arsenal, a club that historically strings outs it negotiations for an eternity. You think we can do 8 major signings in 1 summer?

It isn't what I think will happen just what needs to happen.
In terms of just numbers of signings though the last few seasons haven't been far off
20/21- 9 players: Partey, Gabriel, Willian, Runarsson, Mari, Cédric, Ceballos, Ryan, Ødegaard
19/20 - 6 players: Pépé, Saliba, Tierney, Luiz, Martinelli, Ceballos
18/19 - 6 players: Torreira, Leno, Sokratis, Lichsteiner, Guendouzi, Suarez
17/18 - 5 players
16/17 - 5 players

I've included Mari and Cédric in this season rather than last season but either way the number of players bought it is averaging around 6 each season for the last 5 seasons. Yes, lots of loans in there - so 8 new signings is of course optimistic but not out of kilter with what we've been doing recently.

There won't be much money but if you can find some good loans, free transfers, take advantage of contract situations with players running low and also find some money for players we're looking to get rid of I don't think that sort of turnover is beyond the realms of possibility.

Post #480452  Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:16 pm 

socrates wrote:
It just feels like we are creating some kind of persecution complex to paper over the fact that we just are not very good at attacking anymore.

We boast one of the world's best strikers (or at least he was until a few weeks ago), one of the world's most expensive wingers, one of the worlds most exciting young wingers, a £50m french international striker and yet we consistently create very few clear-cut chances, take very few shots on goal and rarely make opposing keepers work hard to earn their money.

You could argue that our central midfield is simply not creative enough and I wouldn't argue with that but surely we can do better than a paltry 27 goals in 23 games.
You are right - it is not about the officials. Unarguably our goalscoring is not good enough. Whereas despite a dodgy reputation, defensively we are not at all bad - one of the better in the league.

Post #480453  Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:30 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

This is the best beef I have ever made - don't be put off by the prune juice - it tastes amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fok7sdsq-k

Post #480454  Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:02 pm 

Liverpool looking to match us in daft goals conceded this weekend. Truly horrible.

Post #480455  Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:04 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Liverpool looking to match us in daft goals conceded this weekend. Truly horrible.

Oh boy. Now they’ve doubled up. Keeper from hell.

I just imagine what the Liverpool fan forums are saying right now.

Post #480456  Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:17 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Blaming the officials? Or Xhaka? Gordon Brown?

Post #480457  Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:18 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Blaming the officials? Or Xhaka? Gordon Brown?

:53big-emoticons:

Post #480458  Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:23 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

This is the best beef I have ever made - don't be put off by the prune juice - it tastes amazing.

Wow actually that’s genius cooking. The flavour of prunes paired with the beef makes complete sense. Desperate to try that next time

Post #480459  Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:33 pm 

So this was given as a penalty and yellow card.
It is a pull back, no attempt to play the ball and denying a clear goal scoring opportunity for Salah.

Luiz gets sent off for this, we know because he did for a foul in identical circumstances v city just after lockdown

Attachments:

Post #480460  Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:49 pm 

Allison with 2 terrible mistakes today. He’s having more and more of these. De gea with 2 mistakes as well this weekend.

Post #480461  Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:01 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I haven’t made a traditional gravy I used a base of onion, celery and carrots with beef seasoned with salt pepper and flour as a thickening agent.

Instead of wine or port (let me know if that works better) I’ve used Guinness and a little bit of stock. Bay leaves and a little Tyne. Tomato purée

I’m not using a slow cooker though I’m using hob and oven ?

I’ve just checked the consistency and it seems slightly better this time than last time which was frankly really disappointing

chop an apple up and throw it in when you put the carrots in. It will dissolve completely and provide a nice silky texture. I got that trick off recipe on a curry box.

If you use wine AND tomato puree you might end up with a rather low pH!

Not sure about the Tyne water ...does it add a certain je ne sais pas quoi?

Good old bisto works well too.

Post #480462  Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:52 pm 

Decaf wrote:

Plenty of recipes include both red wine and tomato purée. Most obviously, but not exclusively, many pasta sauces.

EDIT: On a side issue, if you cook with wine, don’t use a Bordeaux first growth, a Penfolds Grange or anything at that sort of level, or even close to it. But it’s also important not to use plonk just because it’s dirt cheap. Try a wine before putting it in your dish and if it doesn’t taste pleasant, discard it and open another bottle which again you should try first.

A wine that tastes horrible will compromise the taste of your food. This is even more important for wine with a cork than with a screw cap closure if you’ve had the wine before (including the same vintage), because wines closed with cork can be what’s called ‘corked’.

You don’t have to drink a full glass. Just a small slurp to test its flavour is sufficient. If it’s nice enough to use but you want to save the rest of the bottle for the next time you cook with wine, check it again before using it the second time as wine kept in an already opened bottle will inevitably deteriorate over time.

Post #480463  Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:01 am 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Plenty of recipes include both red wine and tomato purée. Most obviously, but not exclusively, many pasta sauces.

EDIT: On a side issue, if you cook with wine, don’t use a Bordeaux first growth, a Penfolds Grange or anything at that sort of level, or even close to it. But it’s also important not to use plonk just because it’s dirt cheap. Try a wine before putting it in your dish and if it doesn’t taste pleasant, discard it and open another bottle which again you should try first.

A wine that tastes horrible will compromise the taste of your food. This is even more important for wine with a cork than with a screw cap closure if you’ve had the wine before (including the same vintage), because wines closed with cork can be what’s called ‘corked’.

You don’t have to drink a full glass. Just a small slurp to test its flavour is sufficient. If it’s nice enough to use but you want to save the rest of the bottle for the next time you cook with wine, check it again before using it the second time as wine kept in an already opened bottle will inevitably deteriorate over time.

I find that if the acidity is too high it leaches the beef, less so if you use a cut like shin or chuck.
Also, you are right about the quality of the ingredients being important. A decent passata will not be too acidic.

Post #480464  Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:13 am 

Thinking back to the start of the Villa game, Villa were absolutely goosed against West Ham the game before, they looked really leggy - couldn't chase the game and a far cry from the vibrant attacking display they destroyed us with at home. The one thing we just couldn't do was concede early and let them sit off a defend that lead.

It is really frustrating how quite often we can have a great spell 15 minutes after half time, the tempo increases, passes are sharper and we generally look much hungrier - why can't we start games like that. I'd say in the last 6 years I've seen Arsenal start games with a seriously high tempo no more than a handful of times.

Post #480465  Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:13 am 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

The missus and I cook with wine regularly. Occasionally, we put it in the food.

Post #480466  Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:51 pm 

Well, the Glazers have won themselves a Super Bowl. Not sure if any of you have heard of their QB Tom Brady, but he's pretty much cemented his place in history as the best American footballer ever. One would look foolish offering up any other name. I don't like him but have to tip my hat.

The Glazers and Kroenkes know each other. I'd love to hear what they talk about.

Post #480467  Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:09 pm 

http://youaremyarsenal.com/referees-pre ... -to-learn/

This is an interesting take on rules in football. Not a rant at refs by the way.

I really do like the idea of a sin bin in football. This piece sets out the argument that a yellow card for a cynical foul stopping a very dangerous attack is more reward for the defending team than the attacking team. There are also a lot of fouls where a yellow card doesn't seem enough but a red card would be too much. 10 minute sin bins would be really interesting to see in football

Post #480468  Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:19 pm 

Rich wrote:
http://youaremyarsenal.com/referees-premier-league-lessons-to-learn/

This is an interesting take on rules in football. Not a rant at refs by the way.

I really do like the idea of a sin bin in football. This piece sets out the argument that a yellow card for a cynical foul stopping a very dangerous attack is more reward for the defending team than the attacking team. There are also a lot of fouls where a yellow card doesn't seem enough but a red card would be too much. 10 minute sin bins would be really interesting to see in football

Can you imagine the sheer utter mess our incompetent refs would cause if tasked with implementing this. You think they are inconsistent right now ? It would be a nightmare

Post #480469  Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:20 pm 

Dermott Gallagher - another retired expert ref - has said his view on the Saka foul and whether it should have been a red card or not. He said 'no' to a red card because of the distance to goal, I'm fine with that based purely on the distance and if you ignore that it would still be likely the player (saka) goes unchallenged and gets a 1v1 against the gk - but do that for all teams as Arsenal have had 3 players sent off when at that sort of distance. Also if the attacker is getting a run through on goal but you're near the half way line then just bring them down because it should always be a yellow due to the distance.

The next bit from Gallagher though is he says not only is it not a red but he thinks it is a foul by Saka on the Villa defender! So Saka who is in control of the ball and has pushed it past the defender, has his shirt tugged and then at best gets caught in a tangle of legs is a foul by Saka? It beggars belief.

Saw this on Gallagher's refereeing ability. I can't remember this one but how Gilberto gets a yellow and Shearer doesn't is anyone's guess!
https://twitter.com/AFCAMDEN/status/1358753798722883584

Post #480470  Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:24 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

Can you imagine the sheer utter mess our incompetent refs would cause if tasked with implementing this. You think they are inconsistent right now ? It would be a nightmare

You're right. The rule is something I'd like to see but Id want better refs to implement it.

Just better refs would be good. Dean now has had 2 red cards over turned in 2 weeks, despite having all that technology available to him. Sadly Dean and his family have faced death threats which is absolutely abhorrent - what is wrong with some people?

Post #480471  Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:11 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

I think the big challenge is that so many of the things us fans moan about - diving, time wasting etc - is so ingrained in the football culture.

I was thinking about that a lot when I watched the handball world championships in January. It's not a very big sport, but they have so many rules in place that makes the games flow better and eliminate cheating. For one thing, if a player has the ball and his team commits a foul, he has to put the ball down exactly where he is. He can't throw it away, and he can't just drop it down on the floor so it bounces - he actually has to place the ball on the floor so that it's still, or he gets a two minute penalty.

Another interesting thing happened in the quarter final between Denmark and Egypt. Basically, there's a shot clock similiar to the one in basketball, where the attacking team can only make a limited amount of passes before they have to take a shot. Denmark was up by a goal in the dying seconds of the game, and their best player made a pass after the ref had blown the whistle indicating the shot clock had run out. Basically, the player just wanted to prevent Egypt from counter-attacking. The refs did a VAR check, noticed that the Danish player passed the ball after the whistle, and he got a red card. Egypt also got a penalty throw, which they scored on, equalizing the game and sending into overtime.

It was just a reminder of why you never saw any time wasting during the tournament, because it gets punished so severely that there's very little to gain from it. But the thing is, all these rules are there from when you start playing the game as a kid, so players never really develop the habit of diving or trying to cheat. It's the complete opposite with football, where I could remember players diving when we were 9-10 years old.

Post #480472  Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:29 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I think the big challenge is that so many of the things us fans moan about - diving, time wasting etc - is so ingrained in the football culture.

You're right it is ingrained. I watched Liverpool v City yesterday and Alexander-Arnold took a corner on the side without the linesman on and he very deliberately placed the ball outside the quadrant, not by much - maybe 10cm. Utterly pointless. Footballers are always looking to bend the rules wherever they can. I've seen players appeal for throw ins when the ball just hit them and went out.
Huge amounts for the game to learn from other sports

Post #480473  Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:34 pm 

Rich wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

You're right it is ingrained. I watched Liverpool v City yesterday and Alexander-Arnold took a corner on the side without the linesman on and he very deliberately placed the ball outside the quadrant, not by much - maybe 10cm. Utterly pointless. Footballers are always looking to bend the rules wherever they can. I've seen players appeal for throw ins when the ball just hit them and went out.
Huge amounts for the game to learn from other sports

It's not perfect by any means, but there's lot to be learned from Rugby - both Codes. Refs give a running commentary and explain their decisions to the players. Only the captain is allowed to approach him for a comment in response - and it'd better be polite and respectful. When it comes to VAR, the whole process is there for everyone to see and hear. The decision-making process is explained and discussed very publicly for all to witness and understand; for that reason, however complicated, VAR decisions are always accepted.

It's a very different type and pace of game but Cricket's use of VAR is just as public (and as good) as Rugby. The introduction of VAR to Rugby and Cricket has been universally welcomed and has undoubtedly improved the standard of Refs and Umpires alike; as a by-product, the spectators'/viewers' matchday experiences have improved as well. There's an understanding in both games that any transgression will be picked up and punished, so simulation or cheating is actually quite rare. Footballers aren't yet in that place because they can and do still prosper from screaming and diving when there has been no contact whatever. They can routinely place the ball outside the corner quadrant or appeal for throws they are clearly not entitled to because despite it all being picked up by the cameras, there is no sanction. They get away with it because they're allowed to.

Post #480474  Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:31 pm 

I’ve always thought football also suffers from a conscious or unconscious bias. The way Ferguson got preferential treatment springs to mind. Also when West Ham were spared a points deduction for the Carlos tevez saga because it would relegate them and Sheffield United were a far smaller and less trendy club so that was fine.

Post #480475  Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:00 pm 

When Arsenal play well we sometimes win.
When Arsenal play badly we nearly always lose.

When the best teams play well they nearly always win.
When the best teams play badly they sometimes lose.

So far this season we’ve followed that pattern. We haven’t found ways to extract a win out of a bad performance, or even to salvage a point out of bad ones.

Post #480476  Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:24 pm 

David Ornstein said that arsenal weren’t seriously in for a left back in January, we thought we had enough cover, but will address the position in the summer and are looking at younger players not the older ones like Bertrand and Van Aanholt who were linked in January.
Mitchell at Crystal Palace is 21 and out of contract in the summer, if you don’t want to spend big money on back ups, sign a home grown player and young enough to improve and/or be sold for decent money.

Post #480477  Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:25 pm 

DHD wrote:

It's not perfect by any means, but there's lot to be learned from Rugby - both Codes. Refs give a running commentary and explain their decisions to the players. Only the captain is allowed to approach him for a comment in response - and it'd better be polite and respectful. When it comes to VAR, the whole process is there for everyone to see and hear. The decision-making process is explained and discussed very publicly for all to witness and understand; for that reason, however complicated, VAR decisions are always accepted.

It's a very different type and pace of game but Cricket's use of VAR is just as public (and as good) as Rugby. The introduction of VAR to Rugby and Cricket has been universally welcomed and has undoubtedly improved the standard of Refs and Umpires alike; as a by-product, the spectators'/viewers' matchday experiences have improved as well. There's an understanding in both games that any transgression will be picked up and punished, so simulation or cheating is actually quite rare. Footballers aren't yet in that place because they can and do still prosper from screaming and diving when there has been no contact whatever. They can routinely place the ball outside the corner quadrant or appeal for throws they are clearly not entitled to because despite it all being picked up by the cameras, there is no sanction. They get away with it because they're allowed to.

Agree 100%. Increased use of VAR should iron out the "simulation". Salah's dive on Sunday should have earned him a yellow card. I'd like to see a rule change where the onus is on the player to stay on their feet as opposed to going down at the slightest touch.

Post #480478  Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:26 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

Why do you think that? What exactly about the sin-bin system would be so hard to implement?

I think the refs are inconsistent partly because the rules are so bad. I would hate to be a ref deciding on penalites and red cards in the current climate. The cynicism of the players (knowing when and when not to commit professional fouls, time waste, etc.) is also a function of the failure of the rules.

The lack of differentiation with sending offs is just stupid. Someone stops a goal scoring opportunity near the beginning of the game and they are off and the game is ruined. Lehman in Paris. A absolutely massive punishment A sending off in the last minute for a much worse offence is far less consequential to the offending team. Suarez in the 2010 world cup.

Post #480479  Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:15 am 

Mark Brindle, who is"Mr. Network" towards 250 Arsenal supporters groups worldwide, is being made redundant due to cost cutting.

Post #480480  Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:29 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Now I know what I'm having next Sunday. :laughing7:

Dried cranberries are also good as they add a bit of tartness to cut through the rich stew. And if you're not afraid of a few spices, add a bit of Baharat which gives it a Middle eastern touch.

P.s. TG - A tablespoon of flour mixed with water before putting it in the stew will thicken it up nicely.

[ 529274 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12009, 12010, 12011, 12012, 12013, 12014, 12015 ... 13232  Next