Fixtures Sunday May 12th - Manchester United - Old Trafford - 4:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 7:39 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 64 guests

Post #390601  Posted: Thu May 09, 2024 3:09 am 

gooner7 wrote:
https://www.footballinsider247.com/aaron-ramsdale-to-quit-arsenal-after-deal-agreed-sources/

Never a doubt this was going to happen. The only question is "how well will we be able to negotiate a good fee?"
Buying clubs know we need to offload him because he still has good value and is wasted value on the bench. And they know Ramsdale wants to leave (who wouldn't after being put down like this?). He is just as good as Raya. Raya might edge him just a little, but there wasn't enough gulf to have to replace Ramsdale so abruptly. Arteta has done marvelously for the club, but this will be one of the decisions I continue to question.

The other would be his omission of Gabriel at the start of the campaign. Fortunately, Kiwior was not able to live up to expectations. Otherwise, we would have missed Gabriel's massive influence and goals. Sorry Kiwior, you are still not good enough (to play consistently at a high level) in my books.

Ok, I should not be bashing Arteta at this time. I should be admiring him for bringing us to another level. The subject is about Ramsdale's omission, and I went off a tangent here :42laughter:

We must recover what we paid for him otherwise he’s seeing out his contract.

Post #390602  Posted: Thu May 09, 2024 9:29 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
Sorry Kane, no silverware for you this season

You are very generous: Sorry is not a word I would ever use with him.

I took into account that he was once an Arsenal fan :42laughter:

Post #390603  Posted: Thu May 09, 2024 9:44 am 

Up until he got injured last season, Jesus was on fire. He's not gotten back to anything close to his first half season with us. He's still good and very effective but that first 5 months he was on fire.

Post #390604  Posted: Thu May 09, 2024 12:05 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:
I was thinking about our likely 2nd place finish with possibly 89 points and I wonder what the general reaction to that will be? Because let’s just imagine that in one of Man City’s games they draw due to a lucky late equaliser and we do win the title then the accolades for Arteta and Arsenal will flow. I wish people would move away from the boom or bust analysis, we’re talking about the finest of margins between us and City. It’s hard to argue we’re the better side than them if we don’t win the league but we’ve got a pretty good case to show we’re just as good. Whatever happens it has been a phenomenal effort from the team, especially in the second half of the season where we haven’t just consistently won games we’ve absolutely obliterated virtually everyone in our path scoring goals for fun and putting up the meanest defence certainly in terms of quantity of chances given up the league has seen for quite some time I reckon.

Rich, are you arguing with yourself?

It has been known. Some posts may just come out as a monologue of thoughts in my head which just spill out on to the page

Post #390605  Posted: Thu May 09, 2024 12:08 pm 

Player of the year nominees
Haaland, Foden, Ødegaard, Rice, Isak, Van Dijk, Watkins, Palmer

Having Van Dijk in there ahead of either Saliba or Gabriel is crazy. Van Dijk has been good but his name has taken him there ahead of our pair. We’ve conceded 10 fewer than Liverpool and the expected goals conceded would be a lot bigger difference.

Saka and Saliba are on the young player award - along with a fair number of others on the main award. For me the young player award needs to be U21, I think it’s 23 or you the r from the first day of the season so by may you could have a player approaching 25 who wins it.

Post #390606  Posted: Thu May 09, 2024 12:19 pm 

Rich wrote:
It has been known. Some posts may just come out as a monologue of thoughts in my head which just spill out on to the page

Whisper it quietly. There is an ignore button to specific people. Its worked wonders over the years. :42laughter:

Post #390607  Posted: Thu May 09, 2024 12:24 pm 

Rich wrote:

Having Van Dijk in there ahead of either Saliba or Gabriel is crazy. Van Dijk has been good but his name has taken him there ahead of our pair. We’ve conceded 10 fewer than Liverpool and the expected goals conceded would be a lot bigger difference.

Saka and Saliba are on the young player award - along with a fair number of others on the main award. For me the young player award needs to be U21, I think it’s 23 or you the r from the first day of the season so by may you could have a player approaching 25 who wins it.

This is a tough call. But for me Haaland and Van Dijk are out. Foden, Rice, Isak, Palmer have a greater argument. Watkins has been superb. I think Ødegaard wins it. City can win without Foden. Palmer ignites Chelsea but they can manage without him. As great as Rice is, we can play Jorginho or Partey with Havertz and be okay. I can't see anyone close fulfilling the role Ødegaard plays for us. Without Isak or Watkins, Newcastle and Villa don't have much else going forward who is capable of getting a goal against the top sides.

Post #390608  Posted: Thu May 09, 2024 12:26 pm 

Saw a rumour saying we want to bring Szczęsny back as a back up GK, he has 1 year left on his deal. If we could get that done for a small fee and not extortionate wages then I'd go for it and get a decent fee for Ramsdale (£30m+). Cannot see it happening at all though

Post #390609  Posted: Thu May 09, 2024 1:56 pm 

Crazy that Rodri is not on the player of the year list either. He should be in ahead of Haaland for me easily. I also think Saka instead of Isak and Gabriel instead of VvD, I’m biased but we’re on for an 89 point season, these players have been incredible.

Goals and assists for Saka is comparable to Foden’s, Foden is probably favourite for the award and Saka doesn’t even get nominated

Post #390610  Posted: Thu May 09, 2024 2:40 pm 

A stronger case can be made for Saliba over Van Dijk. Stats. Clean sheets or just their individual one on one highlights.

Post #390611  Posted: Thu May 09, 2024 3:59 pm 

Only 1 player this season ranks in the top 10 for the 3 following stats:

Goal involvements (goals and assists)
Big chances created
Key passes

and that player was not nominated in the 8 nominations for player of the year

Post #390612  Posted: Thu May 09, 2024 4:00 pm 

Rich wrote:

Only one defender/gk, and that one not from the team with the best defence ... Massive bias towards goalscorers as usual.

But I suppose good defences win trophies, so who cares if they don't win awards?

And I guess the same goes for Rodri, the player who makes all the difference for City.

Of that lot I would vote for Ødegaard. He has been phenomenally good in 2024 especially.

Post #390613  Posted: Thu May 09, 2024 6:11 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Whisper it quietly. There is an ignore button to specific people. Its worked wonders over the years. :42laughter:

Can someone please let AG know that he’s the biggest troll on here? I have him on ignore, because reading his many, many posts is like reading a child’s verbal diarrheaea - does he actually support The Arsenal or is he a closet Man U fan?

Sorry folks, I’ve had a few drinks on my first ever (at the grand old age of 60) all inclusive, and I’m not compus mentos. But he really does get on my wick.

[ 390613 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9762, 9763, 9764, 9765, 9766