Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:01 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, Decaf, mcquilkie and 274 guests

Post #501801  Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:37 pm 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
If the fee is 88m for mudryk aren’t you just better off signing Joao felix outright for the same money. He can easily play either flank and as a false 9.

Not sure he’s that good, TG. From the little I’ve seen of him he seems massively overrated to me.

Id like Mudryk and if we can strike a reasonable loan deal for Felix then happy to have him as well - but Benfica want silly money for 5 months of him (mainly because they massively overpaid in the first place). Benfica want the sort of money for a 5 month loan that could buy you someone like Marcus Thuram (6 months left on his contract) outright now.

Mudryk we need to be prepared to walk away if the fee gets too ridiculous. Shaktar want 100m euros/£88m, I think we're bidding closer to £60m

Post #501802  Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:39 pm 

Bissouma has already picked up a 5 yellow card suspension, he's only started 8 games for Spurs. Something hasn't worked for him yet there, I thought he was a talented player at brighton and also thought that was a decent deal for Spurs.

Post #501803  Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:43 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Btw we very briefly ran into Paul Whitehouse yesterday before the game by complete chance whilst getting parked. I’ve always thought he was brilliant despite being a spurs fan and it must be weird being a Tottenham supporter and living so local to Arsenal

I met him once too at my cousin's film screening (my cousin knows him) but I only chatted with him for a second. All I could think to say was how much I loved Bob Mortimer to which he replied, obviously joking , "nahh, he aint all that". Such a waste that he's a tottingham fan.

Post #501804  Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:47 pm 

The thing I dont really undertstand is how much power do players have in deciding where they want to go? If Chelsea outbid us but Mudryk wants to come to Arsenal, surely the only option Shaktar have if they cant convince him to go to Chelsea is to keep him?

Post #501805  Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:52 pm 

Bored wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Btw we very briefly ran into Paul Whitehouse yesterday before the game by complete chance whilst getting parked. I’ve always thought he was brilliant despite being a spurs fan and it must be weird being a Tottenham supporter and living so local to Arsenal

I met him once too at my cousin's film screening (my cousin knows him) but I only chatted with him for a second. All I could think to say was how much I loved Bob Mortimer to which he replied, obviously joking , "nahh, he aint all that". Such a waste that he's a tottingham fan.

It was a really natural conversation and we didn’t let on we knew he was famous or anything. I’ve met various famous people down the years and my standard operating mode is to never ask for photos or autographs which I find frankly embarrassing and don’t know why adults do it. (The only exception to this I should have made was when I met Michael Jackson decades ago, really should have got a picture I mean it’s the king of pop)

Truth be told though I’ve always thought whitehouse was brilliant on the comedy tv shows down the years as well as in the brilliant movie death of Stalin which if you haven’t seen I would urge you to.

Post #501806  Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:55 pm 

Bored wrote:
The thing I dont really undertstand is how much power do players have in deciding where they want to go? If Chelsea outbid us but Mudryk wants to come to Arsenal, surely the only option Shaktar have if they cant convince him to go to Chelsea is to keep him?

Money usually talks in life. It rarely comes down to artistic integrity. I would imagine if Chelsea meet the price he would ultimately end up there

Post #501807  Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:20 pm 

A belated HNY to all.

I have just got back from seeing family in Canada (minus 31 one night!) so have been absent for a while. While there as well as seeing loved ones I experienced the joy of Messi's achievements in Qatar; the fun of Arsenal continuing to impress and confound the experts, and the death of George Cohen and Pele. The latter will always be the best footballer of my time. George was a good one too.

On a New Years resolution note, I am clearing out the attic soon and have loads of Arsenal programmes, books and other bits and pieces from the first Wenger decade. If anybody wants to give them a home let me know by personal message - not wanting any money for them, but they will need to be collected from me in London.

Post #501808  Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:36 pm 

Read some interesting thoughts on Man U's recent good run. Obviously they have played fairly limited opposition but also opposition that don't press high whatsoever. Man U sit deep, statistically they have the deepest average back line in the league (I was surprised to read that), they must do this because of a lack of pace at the back and the fact that de gea stays glued to his 6 yard box come what may and is pretty awful with his feet.
Their weakness is their technical unsureness when put under pressure. Their next run of games is:
Man City, Arsenal, Palace, Leeds, Leciester, brentford. All those teams bar Leicester have an effective high press. Lets see what happens to Man U in these games

Post #501809  Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:38 pm 

I know we’re stretched for attackers on the bench with Jesus, Emile Smith Rowe and Nelson out but look at spurs bench tonight, 1 gk, 3CB, 3FB and 2Def Mid.

I fancy Palace to get something tonight.

Post #501810  Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:16 pm 

Rich wrote:
Read some interesting thoughts on Man U's recent good run. Obviously they have played fairly limited opposition but also opposition that don't press high whatsoever. Man U sit deep, statistically they have the deepest average back line in the league (I was surprised to read that), they must do this because of a lack of pace at the back and the fact that de gea stays glued to his 6 yard box come what may and is pretty awful with his feet.
Their weakness is their technical unsureness when put under pressure. Their next run of games is:
Man City, Arsenal, Palace, Leeds, Leciester, brentford. All those teams bar Leicester have an effective high press. Lets see what happens to Man U in these games

We are playing well and still looking like a team that can challenge. Man Utd won't catch us but they can hurt us with a bad result.

We are basically in a title fight where we have to match City's result or better if they drop points and visa versa. If we are out of the title challenge its because of this. So far we have had the better result obviously. Can it continue? If City goes in a run, 7, 8, 9 games on the trot, then they will catch us. They are more than capable of it.

I'd be more than happy with runner up. I think the likely scenario in my mind is we will end up the last couple months behind them by a few points not being able to catch them and no one behind us capable of catching us. Sort of a runner up purgatory. And if that's the worst of it, fine. But I'd sure love a title fight into the last game or two.

Post #501811  Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:49 pm 

Rich wrote:
I know we’re stretched for attackers on the bench with Jesus, Emile Smith Rowe and Nelson out but look at spurs bench tonight, 1 gk, 3CB, 3FB and 2Def Mid.

I fancy Palace to get something tonight.

Maybe but they have 42 million pound Davison Sanchez, 25 million Ryan sessegnon and 25 million dj spence and Kane and son rarely get injured

Post #501812  Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:31 pm 

Where's the Palace who play against us like its a bloody cup final.
The atmosphere is usually red hot.
Zaha is like a man on a mission when we come to visit.
Spurs visit they are like pussycats
It's now 4 0

Post #501813  Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:36 pm 

I'm not taking anything for granted.
Great to experience this brilliant unexpected start but we are not even halfway through the season yet.
Still tricky games to go.
Top.4 is no way guaranteed even now.
We have been brilliant though.
Infuriating about those penalty shouts last night.
We deserved the win

Post #501814  Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:45 pm 

It’s interesting to me that the one game people can reference where we got the rub of the green with decisions is the home win v Liverpool. Our first win over them, a big team, for a while. Sometimes that is all it takes to win these games. Think back to City at home last year, spurs away last year, Man U away this year. A few big decisions, possibly 50/50 calls that haven’t gone our way.

Obviously it would be nice to ease past these big teams without the need for the ref to make a decision but that’s incredibly rare. Very often these games are decided by a ref call one way or the other.

Post #501815  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:10 am 

socrates wrote:
Newcastle's tactics were spot-on. Double up on Martinelli and Saka, get in Odegaards's face to stop him influencing the game and let the CBs have the ball as they are the least likely to play line-breaking passes. Add to that some tired legs and our lack of attacking options from the bench and you can see how difficult it would be for us to break them down.

Not really rocket science and clearly if we'd got an early goal it might have been different, but the blueprint for how to play against us is there for all teams to see.

100%. They nullified our best attacking options and I also expect every club to do the same thing from here on. Whether they can do it with the discipline and shape of Newcastle without leaving gaps in other areas is another story though.

Gary Neville kept saying that he thought Zinchenko should run and overlap Martinelli. But Zinchenko was covering the deeper left midfield role. So if he'd run overlaps as Neville was suggesting it would have meant most likely Zhaka dropping back and we've seen what happens when he is the last line of a left back defence. I think we can all see that at this stage there are more options required in attack and I'm pretty sure Edu, Arteta and Shaktar Donetsk know this too.

I think Mudryk will have a big influence on where he goes even if Chelsea offer more money. City managed to pick up Haaland for 51m so I think 88m for Mudryk is a bit ridiculous.

Post #501816  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:19 am 

Rich wrote:

My biggest worry with Man U is that they've found a manager who is tactically smart enough to get the best out of the players he has rather than trying to force a style with the wrong players. Ten Hag seems to have managed this, weeded out the negative influence of Ronaldo and made it abundantly clear that he is in charge. The team look like there is a lot more synergy in what they're doing. I think they'll cruise past Palace, Leicester and probably Leeds.

Post #501817  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:30 am 

I thought Bissouma would have worked out better for Sperz. A good buy at the time. He might come good (or better, hopefully not).

As for as the decision between us and Chelsea, money usually wins over the heart. If Chelsea wants him and do what Chelsea (City and Man Utd) usually do (over bid) he will go to Chelsea. The wages he'll get will soothe things over a bit.

Hoping Chelsea get a result tonight obviously. Capable of it but we'll have to wait and see.

Post #501818  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:34 am 

Obviously one of the SG forumites.

Attachments:
forumite.jpg
forumite.jpg [ 27.37 KB | Viewed 2832 times ]

Post #501819  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:35 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
A belated HNY to all.

I have just got back from seeing family in Canada (minus 31 one night!) so have been absent for a while. While there as well as seeing loved ones I experienced the joy of Messi's achievements in Qatar; the fun of Arsenal continuing to impress and confound the experts, and the death of George Cohen and Pele. The latter will always be the best footballer of my time. George was a good one too.

On a New Years resolution note, I am clearing out the attic soon and have loads of Arsenal programmes, books and other bits and pieces from the first Wenger decade. If anybody wants to give them a home let me know by personal message - not wanting any money for them, but they will need to be collected from me in London.

Where in Canada were you? As for the Arsenal memorabilia, oh to be in London. :1cry:

Post #501820  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:43 am 

socrates wrote:
Newcastle's tactics were spot-on. Double up on Martinelli and Saka, .......... but the blueprint for how to play against us is there for all teams to see.

:53big-emoticons: Well done you old cretin .... what is fifteen years on here and you've finally nailed one .

I was thinking EXACTLY the same yesterday ; was going to post it then opted to repair the leaky ball cock in the roof instead .

Don't think either Spurs , Man U , Man City will take that approach they'll feel they have enough firepower not to resort to those tactics they'll blow us away with their own game .
We weren't producing a lot , maybe we should have changed something .... swap Martinelli and Saka ? ..... put them both on the same side for ten minutes ?

Don't think Mikel does himself any favours frothing at the mouth ranting like a lunatic ón the touchline , some will say "Oh we want a passionate manager "
but to me it shows a lack of control . An opposing manager can get under his skin . Howe definetly won on the night .

Post #501821  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:17 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Don't think Mikel does himself any favours frothing at the mouth ranting like a lunatic ón the touchline , some will say "Oh we want a passionate manager "
but to me it shows a lack of control . An opposing manager can get under his skin . Howe definetly won on the night .

Although Arteta’s jumping around like an out of control mad man has helped us and worked 14 times out of 17 this season.

Newcastle literally had one of their substitutes yellow carded for delaying an Arsenal restart and it is Arteta who needs to rein it in?

Pep kicked a water bottle that hit the staff in the opposition dug out the other day, he ran to apologise straight away but was he out of control and working against his players because City didn’t win that match?

I think people are making far too much of Arteta’s behaviour on the touchline, which is no worse than any number of successful managers past and present

Post #501822  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:22 am 

I think there has been a decent amount written in praise of us this season but it still feels like there are almost pre written gleeful stories waiting for when we slip up. I saw it after Newcastle with huge headlines talking about how this shows our lack of fire power. Despite being the second highest scorers in the league, and we were playing the best defence. I don’t recall those headlines when City couldn’t break down Everton at home, or lost to Brentford at home.

Quite honestly it feels that we’ve taken more criticism this season, even for beating so called ‘easy teams’ than the likes of Chelsea in 10th or Liverpool in 7th have taken.

Post #501823  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:25 am 

Eddie Howe has said Newcastle may not buy in January as they have to be aware of FFP….but yet Chelsea are ready to drop another £250m on top of the £250m they spent in the summer?

Post #501824  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:45 am 

With Mudryk is worth considering that he’d likely be on a quite reasonable wage because his current wage is quite low and he’s young. Irrespective of the fee I don’t think he’d be getting Jesus type wages at £200k a week plus.
The difference between £60k a week vs £150k a week over a 5 year contract is almost £25m, so the club may think they can put more of the overall transfer cost in to the transfer fee because wages may be more reasonable

Post #501825  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:20 am 

Rich wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Although Arteta’s jumping around like an out of control mad man has helped us and worked 14 times out of 17 this season.

Newcastle literally had one of their substitutes yellow carded for delaying an Arsenal restart and it is Arteta who needs to rein it in?

Pep kicked a water bottle that hit the staff in the opposition dug out the other day, he ran to apologise straight away but was he out of control and working against his players because City didn’t win that match?

I think people are making far too much of Arteta’s behaviour on the touchline, which is no worse than any number of successful managers past and present

I'm struggling to see how the sub getting a yellow card and Arteta raving like a demented harpy are in the slightest way connected

Successful managers from the past carrying on that way .... Okay Dokey ... Nicholson , Revie , Shankley , Ferguson , Clough , Paisley , Wenger , Graham , Saunders did they jump up and down scream at the opposing manager

There is always a tendency to view OUR people differently ......if ten Haag , Moyes , Conte was carrying on like that we'd be saying what a f**&^&%% idiot .

Lose control you make irrational decisions is all I'm saying he'd be better if he calmed down .

Post #501826  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:25 am 

kiwipete wrote:

I was thinking EXACTLY the same yesterday ; was going to post it then opted to repair the leaky ball cock

Hey Kiwi, be careful with these home health remedies.

Have you tried incontinence pants?.

Post #501827  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:32 am 

Rich wrote:
Eddie Howe has said Newcastle may not buy in January as they have to be aware of FFP….but yet Chelsea are ready to drop another £250m on top of the £250m they spent in the summer?

Hi Rich,

No idea how Chelsea are complying.

They've already bought Nkunku for £63m, Badiashile for £33m (both look really good players) and paid £10.6m for Datro Fofana and £18.6m for Andrey Santos.

Ok, so payments are not all upfront but even so.

Post #501828  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:46 am 

kiwipete wrote:
socrates wrote:
Newcastle's tactics were spot-on. Double up on Martinelli and Saka, .......... but the blueprint for how to play against us is there for all teams to see.

:53big-emoticons: Well done you old cretin .... what is fifteen years on here and you've finally nailed one .

I was thinking EXACTLY the same yesterday ; was going to post it then opted to repair the leaky ball cock in the roof instead .

Don't think either Spurs , Man U , Man City will take that approach they'll feel they have enough firepower not to resort to those tactics they'll blow us away with their own game .
We weren't producing a lot , maybe we should have changed something .... swap Martinelli and Saka ? ..... put them both on the same side for ten minutes ?

Arteta was a bit over the top, but his intensity sets the tone for the team. In any case, Newcastle's timewasting was ridiculous, and Arteta was right to be pissed off that the that ref did not book ANYONE for it until the 97th minute. Utter tripe *(&*&

Newcastle were excellent at nullifying our pace and passing game. Its not always going to be possible to break teams down that defend so well, but it would be great to have a plan B with crosses on long balls towards a big striker. When Gabriel got into the box he caused Newcastle headaches.

Post #501829  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:48 am 

socrates wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I was thinking EXACTLY the same yesterday ; was going to post it then opted to repair the leaky ball cock in the roof instead

I was wondering why he had to perform the operation in the roof.

Post #501830  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:59 am 

socrates wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I was thinking EXACTLY the same yesterday ; was going to post it then opted to repair the leaky ball cock

Maybe you could give me a little guidance here Soc ......... the pants .... are they worth trying ?

On the home remedies ........got this vaguely annoying irritation under the skin near my ankle , not problematic but I can't resist giving it a little scratch at times which magnifies the problem .
I've had it for about eight months , tried rubbing it with comfrey , dock leaf , mint , nasturtium , tea tree oil ...... hasn't improved things .

A mate couple of doors over has similar problems but far worse and he's plastered on every ointment under the sun ; paid heaps of dollars with no success so I view asking the doctor a waste of time and an admission of defeat .

Have moved on to Plan G ............ Geo Thermal mud ... my thinking draw out whatever infection ..... seems to be working .

Post #501831  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:16 am 

Decaf wrote:
Arteta was a bit over the top, but his intensity sets the tone for the team. In any case, Newcastle's timewasting was ridiculous, and Arteta was right to be pissed off that the that ref did not book ANYONE for it until the 97th minute. Utter tripe *(&*&

Newcastle were excellent at nullifying our pace and passing game. Its not always going to be possible to break teams down that defend so well, but it would be great to have a plan B with crosses on long balls towards a big striker. When Gabriel got into the box he caused Newcastle headaches.

Greetings Decaf .... I totally agree ..... Newcastle went home pleased with the point .

I thought as a football side on the one hand they nullified our threats .... ON THE OTHER HAND I thought they were a total disgrace ... their time wasting and tactics were off the scale .

I was really disappointed because I'd watched a fair bit of their game v Leicester and thought these guys are going to come to Emirates and have a go . I thought this match is going to be entertainment on steroids . Got that horribly wrong .

Does his intensity set the tone ...? watch the team talks closely when there is a break in play .... :laughing7: he's giving it the big arm waving , verbals .... the players are sipping water , looking into the crowd , no one is nodding in agreement , taking notice .

Post #501832  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:26 am 

Decaf wrote:
socrates wrote:

I was wondering why he had to perform the operation in the roof.

:laughing7: Yeah yeah for those of you that have never moved outside the air conditioning of an office .... got those lily white hands dirty once when you slipped over while walking the dog , race to the phone in a panic when a tap washer needs changing ,
..... a tank in the ceiling supplying water to the hot water cylinder is as mysterious as the topography of other side of the moon .

Post #501833  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:57 am 

Decaf wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Honestly this is 100% correct. I don’t even know why people are talking about Arteta. The ref should have also sent off or carded 1 of their coaching team for kicking the ball away and another player for literally throwing the ball away after commit a foul. It was utterly absurd and the booing was very loud at full time. It was a failure in officiating, the ref and officials couldn’t control Newcastle or the game.

I’m getting old but I can’t recall a display like it. The game absolutely lends itself towards David Deins suggestion the time keeping is removed from referees control

Post #501834  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:05 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Honestly this is 100% correct. I don’t even know why people are talking about Arteta. The ref should have also sent off or carded 1 of their coaching team for kicking the ball away and another player for literally throwing the ball away after commit a foul. It was utterly absurd and the booing was very loud at full time. It was a failure in officiating, the ref and officials couldn’t control Newcastle or the game.

I’m getting old but I can’t recall a display like it. The game absolutely lends itself towards David Deins suggestion the time keeping is removed from referees control

TG,

As I said the other day, one of the good things about the World Cup was the time added on in each half.

Spectators are entitled to get their money's worth and if it takes an extra 10 mins added on in each half to stop the timewasting then thats how it should be.

The PL should wise-up and instruct the officials to add on a more appropriate amount of added time.

Post #501835  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:21 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

TG,

As I said the other day, one of the good things about the World Cup was the time added on in each half.

Spectators are entitled to get their money's worth and if it takes an extra 10 mins added on in each half to stop the timewasting then thats how it should be.

Thing is it shouldn’t really need David Deins plan if the refs were on top of it. It’s suggesting changing the rules because refs are shite

Kick the ball away or throw it away after a free kick? Booked ! Trust me they won’t do it again.

Keeper taking too long for a goal kick ? Booked

Add 2 minutes per sub for every sub and then it’s fixed as it’s all pointless.

Post #501836  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:42 pm 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

TG,

The PL should wise-up and instruct the officials to add on a more appropriate amount of added time.

:58big-emoticons:
I really enjoyed that aspect of the WC.

Post #501837  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:54 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Thing is it shouldn’t really need David Deins plan if the refs were on top of it. It’s suggesting changing the rules because refs are shite

Kick the ball away or throw it away after a free kick? Booked ! Trust me they won’t do it again.

It should be that when the ref blows for a free you are given a yellow yard if you touch the ball after that. Also you must be moving away from the free or throw so standing in front of the ball is a straight yellow card.

Post #501838  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:26 pm 

I mean RVP got sent off for this

https://youtu.be/fWnsrTx9Y6E

If it was the same ref this week the match would have been abandoned

Post #501839  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:27 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

It should be that when the ref blows for a free you are given a yellow yard if you touch the ball after that. Also you must be moving away from the free or throw so standing in front of the ball is a straight yellow card.

Absolutely

The player is never ever carded for preventing the free kick by standing in front

Post #501840  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:13 pm 

Chelsea have 1 win at home to big 6 sides in their last 13, I'm not expecting them to do anything v City tonight

[ 517581 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12543, 12544, 12545, 12546, 12547, 12548, 12549 ... 12940  Next