Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, grantyboy, john1 and 273 guests

Post #509601  Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:53 pm 

I’ve just come across this info. Like all of us I was aware of Tierney’s history, but Zinchenko’s is a surprise to me.

Since the 2019/2020 season, Zinchenko has suffered 12 injuries that have caused him to miss matches for Manchester City and now Arsenal. In that time, Tierney has suffered 6 injuries which have been more serious than Zinchenko’s but both stars’ injury records should be a worry for the Gunners.

Post #509602  Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:27 pm 

Spurs have beaten the teams sitting in14th, 17th, 19th and 20th, drew against the team in 18th and drew v Chelsea when they should have lost and had a red card if var did it’s job. The other game they won was Fulham who we were told were an easy team when we beat them.

Lots of noise that we had an easy start playing weak teams….not so much noise about Spurs easy start

Post #509603  Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:13 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
Xhaka has become a very good player :58big-emoticons:
He has a manager now who understands him. I think that’s the difference The manager knows his limitations so doesn’t want him as the last man or the bloke who plays out from the back. I can’t recall the amount of times under wenger when it was like Xhaka didn’t want to go in the final third at all...
Hold up - until very recently I am sure you have been the biggest critic of Xhaka on the forum - this while he was playing under Arteta! In his time with us Xhaka has been managed longest by Arteta- three years come November. Arsene managed him for just two two seasons and Emery about a season and a half. Whoever was the manager, Xhaka has never been as bad as you often described him. He may be in a purple patch right now, but his quality has always been evident.

Post #509604  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:11 am 

I look to the statisticians and analysts among you….maybe Rich….but I am curious how many passes took place before we scored our second and third goals…seems like we knocked the ball about 20 or 30 times
Excellent performance…well done Mikel and the lads.

Post #509605  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:38 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Liked the way Vieira slotted his shot in, class :53big-emoticons:

Given his age and performances we really need to pay top money to retain him.

Post #509606  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:23 am 

Bernard wrote:
Been told that today’s was Jesus’ fourth Premier League booking this season, meaning that if he gets a yellow card against Tottenham he’ll be banned for the Liverpool game.

Jesus for City
3 yellows in 42 games 20/21
5 yellows in 41 games 21/22
Jesus for Arsenal
4 yellows in 8 games 22/23

Small sample but that is ridiculous. Also look at the amount of times he’s fouled (the most in the league) without yellow cards for opponents

Post #509607  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:22 am 

Andy Green wrote:
I look to the statisticians and analysts among you….maybe Rich….but I am curious how many passes took place before we scored our second and third goals…seems like we knocked the ball about 20 or 30 times

Jesus goal was 14 passes - I dont know the 3rd goal stats

Post #509608  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:27 am 

Not enough is being made of the age of our squad in the media. We're getting some nice reviews for how we're playing but apart from Xhaka and Partey this is an U25 squad - that's broadly unheard of to have a team that young doing so well.

The top teams can carry 1 maybe 2 really young players but we've got them all over the pitch.

Post #509609  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:44 am 

A difficult graph to get your head around but this illustrates the number of touches in the attacking 3rd of the pitch per game on the Y axis and the number of goals scored on the X axis.
It shows that Spurs have a ridiculously efficient attack without needing to spend much time actually attacking and progressing the ball. A huge amount of this is down to their quality strikers who are two of the best finishers in the league. But it shows they don't dominate games. I' m convinced this isn't sustainable, but they have been doing it for some time now. But I think it is too reliant on factors that to some degree are out of their control. The game plan relies on those players staying fit and staying in form and the opposition giving them a certain amount of space.

They are quite annoying at the moment, I watch their games and feel they are 2nd best for long periods but they still win.

Attachments:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 28.28 KB | Viewed 3122 times ]

Post #509610  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:49 am 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62948400

Read the first few lines about Xhaka making Garth Crooks team of the week. Ridiculous journalism. I don't doubt lots of people feel the same as Crooks, and I think this definitely plays in to the thoughts of referees when the ref him because he is far more harshly treated than so many players in the league - McTominey being a prime example but also players like Fabinho and Rodri who commit lots of cynical fouls

Post #509611  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:33 am 

Andy Green wrote:

https://twitter.com/afcjxmes/status/157 ... mmiItTtWQg

3rd goal in video with passes counted

Post #509612  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:55 am 

Sad day,

Some of those young soldiers carrying the coffin look younger than my boy.

Makes you really appreciate the folks who serve in our armed forces and their sacrifice when you watch this formal process. Constitutional monarchy, Whilst not perfect better than many alternatives.

Good on yer girl sleep well

Post #509613  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:45 am 

Rich wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62948400

Read the first few lines about Xhaka making Garth Crooks team of the week. Ridiculous journalism. I don't doubt lots of people feel the same as Crooks, and I think this definitely plays in to the thoughts of referees when the ref him because he is far more harshly treated than so many players in the league - McTominey being a prime example but also players like Fabinho and Rodri who commit lots of cynical fouls

It is ridiculous. And the trend is exactly as you say. McTominay is the epitome of a walking red card and somehow is allowed the fulfil the role of enforcer without picking up so much as a yellow. Teflon McTominey. Only saving grace is everyone surely knows Crookes takes are bizarre if not batshit crazy. It’s like if Paul Merson had an opinion on Harry Kane. Bless him, but no one would listen.

Post #509614  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:09 pm 

What an absolute clown Crooks is.
Full of his own self importance.
Like anyone gives a flying *%^@ what this tool thinks.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but isn't journalism supposed to be non bias and not reflective of your personal feelings. Neutral even
Remarkable the BBC have allowed this I don't like Granit Xhaka line from this imbecile.
Criticise him as a player all you like but that first line is so personal.

Post #509615  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:45 pm 

Rich wrote:
Andy Green wrote:

Thanks Rich....that's a bit mesmeric....20 passes.... a nice pirouette from William....and a quality finish from Vieira. Lovely stuff.

Post #509616  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:16 pm 

We aren't talking title. No one is discussing us as title challengers this season least of all ourselves. Stating the bleeding obvious.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/62946685

Post #509617  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:21 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Been told that today’s was Jesus’ fourth Premier League booking this season, meaning that if he gets a yellow card against Tottenham he’ll be banned for the Liverpool game.

Jesus for City
3 yellows in 42 games 20/21
5 yellows in 41 games 21/22
Jesus for Arsenal
4 yellows in 8 games 22/23

Small sample but that is ridiculous. Also look at the amount of times he’s fouled (the most in the league) without yellow cards for opponents
That is a very revealing statistic - astonishing actually.

Post #509618  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:57 pm 

https://www.football365.com/news/after- ... -dont-know

This is a pretty good read on Spurs, echos my thoughts on them being quite a confusing team

Post #509619  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:37 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
Rich wrote:

Thanks Rich....that's a bit mesmeric....20 passes.... a nice pirouette from William....and a quality finish from Vieira. Lovely stuff.

Going by his reaction, not sure Vieira himself expected that to go in!

Post #509620  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:34 pm 

Reading the David Dein autobiography

far better read so far than wengers shocking book. Few interesting stories that I never knew. We tried to sign Gordon Strachan for example. Talks about trying to move us to Wembley which seems crazy now

Post #509621  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:36 pm 

Rich wrote:
https://www.football365.com/news/after-the-worst-6-2-win-ever-we-have-to-ask-are-spurs-good-or-sht-or-what-we-really-dont-know

This is a pretty good read on Spurs, echos my thoughts on them being quite a confusing team

Hi Rich. When we discussed this quite recently, I think you gave part of the explanation yourself. Like the authors of the linked article, you are looking for faults in Tottenham because you want them to be there. Yes, every team has faults. But I suspect you exaggerate Tottenham’s. This idea that they’re a two man team is nonsense. Sure, Kane and Son may be they’re best two players. But that is not the same as the other nine being poor, or even average. They have a lot of very fine players.

Also it simply isn’t true they never dominate games. I’ve seen it this season. Moreover, last season they totally dominated the North London derby at their place from the first minute to the last. Sure, Holding got himself sent off but in my view it didn’t make a blind bit of difference to the result. They were outplaying us anyway.

Is it sustainable? I don’t see why not. Indeed, it may well be more sustainable than our current form? I hope I’m wrong about that, but who knows?

Post #509622  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:27 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
https://www.football365.com/news/after-the-worst-6-2-win-ever-we-have-to-ask-are-spurs-good-or-sht-or-what-we-really-dont-know

Hi Rich. When we discussed this quite recently, I think you gave part of the explanation yourself. Like the authors of the linked article, you are looking for faults in Tottenham because you want them to be there. Yes, every team has faults. But I suspect you exaggerate Tottenham’s. This idea that they’re a two man team is nonsense. Sure, Kane and Son may be they’re best two players. But that is not the same as the other nine being poor, or even average. They have a lot of very fine players.

Also it simply isn’t true they never dominate games. I’ve seen it this season. Moreover, last season they totally dominated the North London derby at their place from the first minute to the last. Sure, Holding got himself sent off but in my view it didn’t make a blind bit of difference to the result. They were outplaying us anyway.

Is it sustainable? I don’t see why not. Indeed, it may well be more sustainable than our current form? I hope I’m wrong about that, but who knows?

On the ‘is it sustainable?’ part, I think the reason why it is difficult to say it is, is because I’ve never seen a team play this way and consistently win so many matches. Think of any top team in any league over the last 10 years and look at the stats based approach to possession, shots etc and the best typically always dominate games. Spurs are the statistical anomaly. They don’t dominate as regularly as the best teams and perhaps we’re fooled in to thinking they dominate more because of the result. In every game this season they’ve been second best for decent chunks of the game or at least matched for long periods.

It must follow some logic that if you don’t create as many chances as a ‘normal’ top of the table team then you must be somewhat reliant on the sharp finishing of some elite players. I think Spurs would be the most affected of the top 6 if they lost their two best players to a long injury. City lost De Bruyne for virtually an entire season and still won the league for example.

I’m not drawing total conclusions on this because the more they win the more it pushes the dial.

Post #509623  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:28 am 

So far City have beaten the teams in 12th, 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th and drawn with the teams in 10th and 15th. They’ve had an easier start than us but I only hear about Arsenal having an easy start.

Post #509624  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:38 am 

Been reading a bit more on Nwaneri, he doesn’t look 15 for a start - physically he’s obviously not like Rooney was when Rooney was 16 but he’s not far off looking physically ready for mens football. Because he’s under 17 (or 16 is it?) he can’t sign pro terms so any club could still sign him up and rumours are every big club in England are desperate for him. Him being thrust in to first team training, the matchday squad and coming on is definitely not some gimmick to set a record when we were cruising a match - it’s an attempt to show him how highly we rate him and show him a clear pathway to the first team.

There is a story about Nwaneri that when he was 10 he was at trials with all the other best 10 year olds in the area and they had to stop the game because no one else was getting a kick of the ball.

He sounds like a player Arsenal really think could be quite special

Post #509625  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:27 am 

Great performance ... wish Arteta had given Nwanieri at least ten minutes .

Let the kid have something to tell his grandkids , give him a chance to make an impact .

Two minutes for God's sake doesn't even register .
Don't think Mikel's got to many clues at times.

Post #509626  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:41 am 

Nwanieri .... had to get changed in a separate room because of Child Protection Laws ......

what the hell is going on in England ....... Xhaka , Partey are gay .....Jimmy Saville is our youth team coach ...???

Post #509627  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:49 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Great performance ... wish Arteta had given Nwanieri at least ten minutes .

Let the kid have something to tell his grandkids , give him a chance to make an impact .

Two minutes for God's sake doesn't even register .
Don't think Mikel's got to many clues at times.

Maybe he realises that 3-0 is a dangerous lead, and didn't want to risk it any earlier. Remember Arsenal 3, Anderlecht 3? I bet Mikel does.

Post #509628  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:04 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Nwanieri .... had to get changed in a separate room because of Child Protection Laws ......

what the hell is going on in England ....... Xhaka , Partey are gay .....Jimmy Saville is our youth team coach ...???

Wasn’t that someone (was it Gunfire) having a joke?

Post #509629  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:10 am 

Never gonna happen

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62959374

Realised it was all just lies yet ?

Post #509630  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:14 am 

‘Can’t argue’: Arsenal title reality no-one saw coming; contender’s 14-min headache — PL Talking Pts

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/p ... 5d7811f930

Post #509631  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:18 am 

kiwipete wrote:

It wouldn’t surprise me and to be honest I’m not sure I would disagree with it.

Unfortunately there have been many reports of former players who have been victims of child sexual abuse whilst being youth players. Most notably Paul Stewart the former spurs player and there have even been cases involving ex coaches of city and Chelsea.

There are literal pieces of *%^@ walking amongst us unfortunately and we all forget sometimes

Post #509632  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:20 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Never gonna happen

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62959374

Realised it was all just lies yet ?

More rubbish from you.

We do not need a trade deal to deal with the US. We already have trade deals with some of the largest regions of the US they do not need Presidential approval.

In 2024 when Trump gets a landslidevictory he will set one up anyway as he truly is a friend of Gt Britain.

Post #509633  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:46 am 

bubblechris wrote:
In 2024 when Trump gets a landslidevictory he will set one up anyway as he truly is a friend of Gt Britain.

He'll be in prison by then.

Post #509634  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:10 pm 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Not a joke I assume since it was reported in the Times yesterday.

Post #509635  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:17 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Not a joke I assume since it was reported in the Times yesterday.

Fair enough. In that case I fully understand kiwipete’s astonishment with the ridiculousness of it.

Post #509636  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:03 pm 

Just seen this quote from Granit. :

I am doing my coaching licence and I have trained the under-16s.

Interesting development.

Post #509637  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:29 pm 

Darren wrote:
He'll be in prison by then.

My guess its 50/50 he will be tried and convicted and do any time. He's guilty as sin as well as host of other co-conspirators.
The political reality in America is that it won't matter for a myriad of reasons among them.
The Democrats are scared sh*tless of the Republicans. The Republicans have no line. They know that. It's likely the Republicans will win the WH in 2024. Dems don't have any viable national candidates (California Gov Newsom....maybe...he survived a recall). The Republicans will exact revenge if Trump is 'harmed'. They will find any excuse to investigate, sham trials, whatever. My guess is Hunter Biden will be among the first they go after (and not without good reason to be fair).

The country has stopped functioning as a sustainable republic. We are in the 'last days of Rome' as it were. The Republicans are flagrantly flaunting the rule of law. The Democrat establishment have been bought off by the some of the same money that the Republicans have taken (big Pharma, Wall Street, Defense contractors, etc.).

The Supreme Court has lost its credibility and no longer seen as a fair arbiter of the rule of law.

We are done. I suspect private dossiers in the UK's upper echelon will echo similar sentiments. I'm an independent. I have no horse in that race. The fact is any country that can elect Trump with all the baggage and such that came along with it, is no longer viable. And for that matter, Biden, now that I think about it.

Post #509638  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:38 pm 

Nice balanced article here:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mike ... cca893e5cb

Post #509639  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:41 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Just seen this quote from Granit. :

I am doing my coaching licence and I have trained the under-16s.

Interesting development.

And have now found an article about it.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/gran ... 5274060e94

Post #509640  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:31 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
The country has stopped functioning as a sustainable republic. We are in the 'last days of Rome' as it were.

It's the same here currently. This current iteration of the Tories is horrific. The only reason Truss is in power is due to her ability to be manipulated by the ERG wing of the party, who in turn, have very strong links with Robert Mercer; the data guy behind Cambridge Analytica, Steve Bannon, Trump and Farage amongst others. They want us to be a hugely de-regulated port in the middle of Europe. Unless we get the Tories out at the next election, it's over for our country for many, many years. I think people will assume this to be a hyperbolic over reaction, but it really is that serious. The two parties are not the same as each other, they're not as bad as each other. This version of Labour is the most watered down, centrist version of the Labour Party for many years. But the Tories are now destroying everything it touches. They are deregulating bankers bonuses but refusing to bring the average workers wages in line with inflation after many years of 0% wage increases.

They are appalling and the fact that many people just shrug their shoulders and sweep it under the carpet, need to realise the genuine threat they pose to us as a functioning, progressive, modern nation.

[ 529274 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12738, 12739, 12740, 12741, 12742, 12743, 12744 ... 13232  Next