Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf and 267 guests

Post #472441  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:53 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Alexis, good luck to you. You gave your best to the team until it was not worth it.

You had a manager who made empty promises about bringing in real top class talent. You had a manager who gives very weak attempts at signing top players. You had teammates who were not pulling their weight. You had teammates who, as favoured individuals, could not be bothered to give as much as you. You had Captains who inspire less than you feel they should, and in fact, don't inspire at all. You tried, but when you had enough, everybody forgot that you were the most influential player for a long time.

If he had any respect for the club he'd leave the country. Spain, PSG, Bayern, Juve, he couild be at a big club overseas and win things. Henry and Fabregas at least had enough respect not to go to a direct rival after they left. Fabregas at least tried to come back as well.

Post #472442  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:56 am 

gooner7 wrote:
I don't think 'Mkhitaryan' prefers to be at Arsenal than at MU. But he had a manager who was unwilling to field him. The Arsenal today isn't the choice of many players. Wenger has demonstrated how he made players worse after they joined. Lacazette is the latest victim.

My guess is Mkhitaryan is going to play well so he can go somewhere else soon thereafter. Arsenal is now a stepping stone club , not a final destination for great players.

Post #472443  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:10 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Henry and Fabregas at least had enough respect not to go to a direct rival after they left. Fabregas at least tried to come back as well.

Yes, Fabregas forcing a move and refusing to play while under contract really showed how much he respects the club.

Post #472444  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:25 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
They have been buying glory since the sixties.

Not especially and there was little by way of glory in the 70s and 80s.

Yes they made some big signings but the key to their most sustained period of success was a manager who knew how to develop and nurture youth, pick up excellent bargains, and build and motivate teams with a combination of flair and utility. One of the most interesting things about Ferguson as a manager was his understanding of the importance of unglamorous players like the Nevilles in teams that contained players like Giggs and Cantona.

Post #472445  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:31 am 

Compare and contrast to our own manager (I know I know, it is SO unfair to pick over and "deconstruct" what he says to the newspapers but a cat can look at a king sometimes) and the analytical brilliance of: "I just play the good players they can always play together".

Post #472446  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:32 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Alexis, good luck to you. You gave your best to the team until it was not worth it.

You had a manager who made empty promises about bringing in real top class talent. You had a manager who gives very weak attempts at signing top players. You had teammates who were not pulling their weight. You had teammates who, as favoured individuals, could not be bothered to give as much as you. You had Captains who inspire less than you feel they should, and in fact, don't inspire at all. You tried, but when you had enough, everybody forgot that you were the most influential player for a long time.

From now on, whenever someone says the world’s smallest violin is playing they will be wrong, because the smallest violin in the world by far will forever be playing for the guy who just signed a £100m contract, after his terrible ordeal at Arsenal where he was paid close to £200k a week to kick a football around.

Post #472447  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:47 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I want Walcott to do well but Everton to sink. Yes, my fat Sam hatred is still alive. If he was on this forum, I'd block him. :1laughter:
There is no question whatsoever he hates Wenger and by extension The Arsenal. Not that the Walcott deal wasn't good money. It was decent money but I just didn't like fat Sam benefiting. Crash and burn Sam.

So you think anyone who hates Wenger hates Arsenal. You must feel loads of Arsenal fans hate the club they support then. Because hearing what many of our fans say and what many write about Wenger, I'd suggest a large number could reasonably be defined as hating Wenger.

Also, if you didn't block so many people you might have spotted a post detailing what Allardyce said of his relationship with Wenger. It didn't sound like hatred at all to me.

Post #472448  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:51 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
indeed had only one good season in Germany.

This is not true. Why do you talk about a player you've clearly not watched?

Welbeck being a failure is another silly idea. Good squad player and was probably never meant as anything more.

Are you just trying to top everyone else now that the mood is generally negative here?

Actually in relation to Mkhitaryan an article I read recently said that Klopp could not get anything out of him but it was the next manager who got him playing well and his figures bear that out.

As for Wellbeck - joined us on 1/9/14 and managed only 68 league appearances for 13 goals. Spends a lot of time injured. This season he started in the losses to Liverpool, Stoke, Watford, Bournemouth, Notts Forest, Cologne. He came on as sub in the loss to Man U. Scores overall at .21 goals per game in his EPL career. Remember he has played at CF for us on some occasions. I have heard people say he is good for the team. 18 assists in his whole EPL career.

Overall EPL stats
Premier League Record

Appearances 186
Goals 39
Assists 18

Post #472449  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:55 am 

warrior wrote:
Goonie wrote:
I see Mkhit as Walcott's replacement rather than Sanchez. Wenger should be able to get a dozen goals a season out of him.

Don't forget folks, I added a few shortcuts :

Typing the letters ' a u b ' together will give : Aubameyang

Typing the letters ' m k ' together will get you : Mkhitaryan

That'll help kiwi a lot Rog; he can't even spell 'Ramsay' properly. :icon_smile11:

Post #472450  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:01 am 

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/sanchez- ... a8f42cw5ov

What an *rse!

Post #472451  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:02 am 

john1 wrote:
warrior wrote:

That'll help kiwi a lot Rog; he can't even spell 'Ramsay' properly. :icon_smile11:

Enjoying the longcut that replaces "evidence-ignoring, semi-whimsical apologia for gibberish-spouting manager trading on past glories - based largely on selective evidence, special pleading, faux-nostalgia and rank conjecture" with the letter Z

Post #472452  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:10 am 

john1 wrote:
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/sanchez-on-united-move-i-needed-to-feel-loved/s7p88srhs32n12ka8f42cw5ov

What an *rse!

The truth hurts. Most of what he said is the truth.

Post #472453  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:10 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Actually in relation to Mkhitaryan an article I read recently said that Klopp could not get anything out of him but it was the next manager who got him playing well and his figures bear that out.

His first season in Bundesliga he had 9 goals and 10 assists as an attacking midfielder. Would not describe that as not getting anything out of him. It was an excellent debut season. Second season he struggled (as did Sanchez for Arsenal, by the way), and had a couple of injuries. Third season he was widely recognized as one of the best players in the league. Overall his spell att Dortmund was seen as a big success.

I have my reservations about how successful he'll be at Arsenal, but let's not pretend there's not a fantastic basic talent there.

As for Welbeck, no need to cite his scoring record – never called him a goalscorer because he’s not. I called him a good squad player. Works hard, creates space for teammates and can chip with the odd goal here and there. He’s also versatile and can play in a couple of different positions. You don’t need to look further than the FA Cup final that saw us dominate Chelsea to see what he brings to the table. He didn’t score in that match, but was one of our best players anyway.

Post #472454  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:14 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

hear hear :emoticon_mClapp:

Shush ...... we are but a minority view on this, don't attract attention :icon_mrgreen:

Post #472455  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:18 am 

gooner7 wrote:
john1 wrote:
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/sanchez-on-united-move-i-needed-to-feel-loved/s7p88srhs32n12ka8f42cw5ov

What an *rse!

The truth hurts. Most of what he said is the truth.

In your opinion - but whatever the 'truth', it still makes him an *rse.

He's a grown man, earning a massive fortune, supposedly used to dealing with pressure. And how does he know he's going to be 'loved' at that place?

Post #472456  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:21 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
It's a reckless piece of transfer business. He will never see out that contract and they will end up paying him off to get him off the books.

Can you see them wanting to pay an ageing declining 32 year old Sanchez half a million quid a week.

So would that also be reckless business to buy a 29yo player named mh, who has never performed well in he EPL and indeed had only one good season in Germany and probably pay him a large wad of money. Given the last 2 cast off signings from Man U being Wellbeck and Silvestre have been failures, I am not sure I would be pointing fingers.

I see the point your Making about Aubameyang however if reports are led to be believed his mooted wages are between 170k to 200. Sanchez is on 500k a week, plus they paid 10 million to his agent. It's considerably more risk.

I agree with you on our signings from united, they would never allow a player to join us from them that would provide a massive improvement to our team like we have. There was a reason Alex Ferguson helped broker the Welbeck move, they had a look at him and didn't see him as a valued addition to their squad and wanted to move forward. Mhiki is slightly different as we dangled a carrot and clearly he's a decent player but they weren't about to let us have Martial or anyone else they saw with a decent future.

Post #472457  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:33 am 

AW never dropped him, did he? The first time Mourinho does the sulk will return.

I'm hoping Mkhitaryan will replace Cazorla and that Xhaka will become the squad player that he is.

If Aubameyang come Welbeck will find it harder to get a game. Ramsey will have to learn to adapt to playing on the right so our only erious problem hereon in is going to be our defence.

Hopefully the bubble will fit in and Kola will learn to defend so our only real problem will be replacing Kos eventually.

Forgot the goalie, well enough said.

Post #472458  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:33 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
This is not true. Why do you talk about a player you've clearly not watched?

Welbeck being a failure is another silly idea. Good squad player and was probably never meant as anything more.

Are you just trying to top everyone else now that the mood is generally negative here?

As for Wellbeck - joined us on 1/9/14 and managed only 68 league appearances for 13 goals. Spends a lot of time injured. This season he started in the losses to Liverpool, Stoke, Watford, Bournemouth, Notts Forest, Cologne. He came on as sub in the loss to Man U. Scores overall at .21 goals per game in his EPL career. Remember he has played at CF for us on some occasions. I have heard people say he is good for the team. 18 assists in his whole EPL career.

Overall EPL stats
Premier League Record

Appearances 186
Goals 39
Assists 18

Plus on Welbeck he's now 27 years old.

I'm not againest him and think he's a decent addition to the squad and can on occasion make a positive contribution but he's 27 years old now and has at no point set the world alight in his career. His contract apparently is over 100k a week with a renewal discussion due this summer as he will be in the Sanchez situation this summer with 1 year to run. The club are at a fork in the road with the player and I bet they must be considering cutting their losses.

Post #472459  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:46 am 

Top Gun, Manchester United's coach said Ferguson would never have sold Welbeck to Arsenal if he'd still been manager. Also, well AFTER the transfer Ferguson said Wenger would have been mad not to sign Welbeck. That doesn't sound like brokering the deal to me.

Post #472460  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:52 am 

Bernard wrote:
Top Gun, Manchester United's coach said Ferguson would never have sold Welbeck to Arsenal if he'd still been manager. Also, well AFTER the transfer Ferguson said Wenger would have been mad not to sign Welbeck. That doesn't sound like brokering the deal to me.

Alex Ferguson said that ? Wow I'm convinced, he'd never want to do one on Wenger would he. He's clearly got our best interests at heart.

I suppose you would let Barnier sort out Brexit on his own as we can trust him would you.

If he was that good United would never have let him go. Get real

Post #472461  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:58 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Alex Ferguson said that ? Wow I'm convinced, he'd never want to do one on Wenger would he. He's clearly got our best interests at heart.

I suppose you would let Barnier sort out Brexit on his own as we can trust him would you.

Read my post. Ferguson said it well AFTER the transfer. Also the coach at the time said Ferguson would never have sold him to Arsenal. You're making this brokering the deal stuff up.

Post #472462  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:04 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Van Gaal and his spotless transfer record strikes again. That same summer he spent roughly £150m on Herrera, Rojo, Shaw, Di Maria, Blind and Falcao, so clearly he could not have made an error in judgment with regards to Welbeck.

Or maybe Ferguson said he wouldn't have sold Welbeck because, as Daz said earlier, Ferguson understood you needed solid squad players to win.

Post #472463  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:13 am 

john1 wrote:
warrior wrote:

:laughing7: yeah you've only just staggered back into the ring because the Latvian has waved a bottle of battery acid under your nose and said "Go get him Tiger "

Post #472464  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:13 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Read my post. Ferguson said it well AFTER the transfer. Also the coach at the time said Ferguson would never have sold him to Arsenal. You're making this brokering the deal stuff up.

For goodness sake mate, he was their academy player. They had to say positive things about him as they saw him grow up from a boy to a man. He was one of their own but it sadly hadn't worked out as he hadn't made the grade so they let him go with good grace and a host of positive comments.

Also another important factor is being missed. Arsene didn't want him either ! We were completely screwed as Giroud had got injured and arsene wanted a short term loan if you remember but united refused and a last minute transfer was scrambled through. I guarantee you Bernard if united had loaned him to us rather than sold him permanently he wouldn't still be an arsenal player today as Wenger wouldn't have made it permanent.

Post #472465  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:14 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

For goodness sake mate, he was their academy player. They had to say positive things about him as they saw him grow up from a boy to a man.

This isn't answering Bernard's point though.

Post #472466  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:18 am 

kiwipete wrote:
john1 wrote:

:laughing7: yeah you've only just staggered back into the ring because the Latvian has waved a bottle of battery acid under your nose and said "Go get him Tiger "

Battery acid? meh. It was the 'Tiger' that did it for me - I felt the love and I needed to be loved.

Post #472467  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:18 am 

I'm not a huge fan of Welbeck by the way and don't think he's much of a squad player certainly not compared to Giroud who is almost the embodiment of that role.

Post #472468  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:18 am 

Daz wrote:
john1 wrote:

Enjoying the longcut that replaces "evidence-ignoring, semi-whimsical apologia for gibberish-spouting manager trading on past glories - based largely on selective evidence, special pleading, faux-nostalgia and rank conjecture" with the letter Z

:icon_scratch: not only can I not spell Ramsey Ramsay Romney Marsh ... I can't understand this one either [ neither if you're Welsh ]

Isn't this supposed to be aimed at Hoy

Post #472469  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:22 am 

john1 wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Battery acid? meh. It was the 'Tiger' that did it for me - I felt the love and I needed to be loved.

It's interesting about Sanchez because I feel no anger towards him and I'm not remotely bothered if financial issues affected his new contract talks when he had seen out the old one.

He isn't a very loveable player though - only an idiot would deny his match-winning quality but there's just something about him that is a little off-putting (apart from his face). Although his face is a guide because actually he can look quite endearing sometimes but there is a quality that just makes you feel a bit uncomfortable. about it as if it hasn't quite been put together correctly. I will be very interested to see how he fares under Mourinho at United. Haven't got a clue just as nobody has a clue how Mkhitaryan will do under Wenger.

Post #472470  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:23 am 

Daz wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of Welbeck by the way and don't think he's much of a squad player certainly not compared to Giroud who is almost the embodiment of that role.

The difference to me is Welbecks versatility and our formation. If we started playing with two strikers I'd keep Giroud over Welbeck in a heartbeat.

Post #472471  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:25 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Daz wrote:

The difference to me is Welbecks versatility and our formation. If we started playing with two strikers I'd keep Giroud over Welbeck in a heartbeat.

I think his finishing is a serious problem for him. He can do some fancy stuff on the wing and alarm defences but I just don't think that's really enough.

Post #472472  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:26 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Daz wrote:

:icon_scratch: not only can I not spell Ramsey Ramsay Romney Marsh ... I can't understand this one either [ neither if you're Welsh ]

Isn't this supposed to be aimed at Hoy

Yes. He's ignoring me though. Zzzz.

Post #472473  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:29 am 

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzFXEIAlVEw[/youtube]

RIP

Post #472474  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:32 am 

Daz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

For goodness sake mate, he was their academy player. They had to say positive things about him as they saw him grow up from a boy to a man.

This isn't answering Bernard's point though.

Well for completeness then Wenger said afterwards Ferguson had acted as a pivotal intermediary in the transfer as they were both attending a managers event together overseas whilst it was being scrambled through.

In terms of the lavish praise given to Welbeck it's part of wishing someone well on their way as 39 career goals (Kosielny has 20 for us) for a striker points to united doing a job on us rather than vice versa.

Post #472475  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:32 am 

Also, I think Giroud deserves to go somewhere where he would start. He has served the club well and received a lot of stick for basically not being as good as Henry or van Persie.

Post #472476  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:33 am 

Daz wrote:
john1 wrote:

It's interesting about Sanchez because I feel no anger towards him and I'm not remotely bothered if financial issues affected his new contract talks when he had seen out the old one.

He isn't a very loveable player though - only an idiot would deny his match-winning quality but there's just something about him that is a little off-putting (apart from his face). Although his face is a guide because actually he can look quite endearing sometimes but there is a quality that just makes you feel a bit uncomfortable. about it as if it hasn't quite been put together correctly. I will be very interested to see how he fares under Mourinho at United. Haven't got a clue just as nobody has a clue how Mkhitaryan will do under Wenger.

I'm not bothered about him either, which is kind of what I meant by him not being 'Arsenal'. van Persie I considered 'Arsenal', so I was well dischuffed with him; likewise Fabregas.

I am however annoyed that Sanchez trots out the 'I need to be loved' line. Perhaps if he stopped winding down his contracts and moving club every 3 years he might find what he's looking for. Or he could just be honest and change the line to 'I need to be paid astronomical amounts of money for kicking a ball around, and my agent wants to take advantage of my abilities to make himself rich', and then I'd at least respect that honesty.

Post #472477  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:34 am 

Just watched some vids of Mkhi and lost count of the times he and Aubi linked up to score, Aubi is a must to join us , can't believe we're haggling over a few million , after the money recouped after our sales, and that we were willing to spend 90 mill on Lemar.

Post #472478  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:36 am 

Draytonkid wrote:
Just watched some vids of Mkhi and lost count of the times he and Aubi linked up to score, Aubi is a must to join us , can't believe we're haggling over a few million , after the money recouped after our sales, and that we were willing to spend 90 mill on Lemar.

Isn't haggling over a few million our standard m.o. though? And partly why we're in the position we are?

Post #472479  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:39 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Also, I think Giroud deserves to go somewhere where he would start. He has served the club well and received a lot of stick for basically not being as good as Henry or van Persie.

Agree. He can be annoying but he's undoubtedly been a very good player for us.

Post #472480  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:40 am 

john1 wrote:
I'm not bothered about him either, which is kind of what I meant by him not being 'Arsenal'. van Persie I considered 'Arsenal', so I was well dischuffed with him; likewise Fabregas.

Get what you mean. As much as Sanches is a world class player, it would feel much worse if we lost Wilshere or Ramsey.

[ 562427 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11809, 11810, 11811, 11812, 11813, 11814, 11815 ... 14061  Next