Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:10 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 401 guests

Post #506081  Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:37 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
It’s a wind up. He might not be winding up you, he may be the one being wound up himself.

He accepted a job 2 weeks ago and the role he accepted would provide a massive conflict of interest and we know he doesn’t go back on agreements.

Not to mention if they believed this was the case they would publicise it. It’s a wind up.

I hope you’re right and it’s him being wound up. But I’m 100% certain he isn’t winding me up. I know him too well and too long.

Post #506082  Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:39 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rodgers or DiSimeone are going to leave midseason, so we have to either ride out the rest of the season or take someone who is available now but may not be the best choice.

As much as I like Emery, there is obviously endemic issues going on both on the pitch and it appears off the pitch. I'm hoping he can turn it around. He needs some central backs and I would like a

This is peak AG

Post #506083  Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:46 pm 

I would get Pochettino if possible as he has a point to prove, plays decent football, isn’t adverse to playing the kids, and isn’t a cheque book manager. If he’s not possible then assuming any manager is going to improve on Emery, then I’d go for anyone who can convince Aubameyang and the big hitters to stay.

Post #506084  Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:51 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
It’s a wind up. He might not be winding up you, he may be the one being wound up himself.

He accepted a job 2 weeks ago and the role he accepted would provide a massive conflict of interest and we know he doesn’t go back on agreements.

Not to mention if they believed this was the case they would publicise it. It’s a wind up.

I hope you’re right and it’s him being wound up. But I’m 100% certain he isn’t winding me up. I know him too well and too long.

The respectable sources like Ornstein and AFC Camden (who always seem to be on the money) are suggesting Pochettino is highest on the list

Press in France are suggesting Nuno

John Cross has speculated but seems to be leading with Rogers who interestingly enough was complimentary about Arsenal yesterday. (Wouldn’t rule him out on the comment he made)

Sky sports news themselves actually suggested they have heard today Allegri could be interested.

I think we have weeks and weeks of speculation coming up.

Post #506085  Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:05 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
The respectable sources like Ornstein and AFC Camden (who always seem to be on the money) are suggesting Pochettino is highest on the list

Press in France are suggesting Nuno

John Cross has speculated but seems to be leading with Rogers who interestingly enough was complimentary about Arsenal yesterday. (Wouldn’t rule him out on the comment he made)

Sky sports news themselves actually suggested they have heard today Allegri could be interested.

I think we have weeks and weeks of speculation coming up.

I’d be comfortable with Pochettino or Rodgers. Less convinced about Allegri but he would surely sort the defence out.

Post #506086  Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:20 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Camden saying on twitter we want Pochettino. He doesn’t have an agent.

For me that ticks all the boxes. Young, has a history of working with young players and a budget. Can speak English and Spanish, seems a good person and has a point to prove.

Failing that for me it’s paddy with a staff consisting of a number of ex players who get the club inside out.

Time to rebuild

Based on what? Vieira has not proved himself as a coach.

I loved Vieira but Fred as interim coach followed rapidly by someone with a premiership track record for me.

Post #506087  Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:46 pm 

Feel a little sorry for Emery as he seemed a decent guy, he was well out of his depth, hopefully an easy number back in Spain awaits. I'd love to see Poch get the gig, can you imagine if he managed to snag a pot for us under mourinho's nose, comedy gold.

Post #506088  Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:33 pm 

Ljungberg will be allowed to form his own coaching staff, which is expected to be outlined on Saturday and could see the surprise inclusion of another former playing colleague, Gilberto Silva, who lives in London. [@guardian]

That’s ruled out Wenger then

Post #506089  Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:39 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Let’s hope Ljungberg is a better manager than he was a player.

If that was any sort of criteria , Mertesacker shouldn't even be allowed to make the teas at the Club .

Post #506090  Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:40 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:

If that was any sort of criteria , Mertesacker shouldn't even be allowed to make the teas at the Club .

:laughing7:

Post #506091  Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:53 pm 

Wow.

Post #506092  Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:58 pm 

Just found out after a flight. Had posted I hoped he turned it around as I was heading on a flight.
Might have even be fired at that time. Oh well, need says Freddie is caretaker manager. Feel badly for Emery. Personally, I'd ride out the season and go for Rodgers. There isnt a former player I'd hand the reigns to right now.

If we have to get someone now Poch as well as send word to Fergie just to push off Man Utd fans.

Post #506093  Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:01 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:

What pure bollocks you do talk sometimes. Mertesacker was an excellent player, is an Arsenal legend, as has leadership qualities in spades.

Post #506094  Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:37 pm 

Interesting times ... most teams pick up initially with a managerial change even Emery got a string of decent results even if the play didn't reflect that .
With Ljungberg I hope he doesn't do the same as his fellow Scandanavian Ole Gunnar get some results , get the job full time , then the wheels drop off and we are back to square one .

Pochettino would me my choice but then again everyone is focusing on his successes .

Spurs seemed to have a pretty decent squad , played swash buckling football but THEN ........... what went wrong ..... ?

How on earth could Spurs have collected less points than our half wit managed this term .

Someone on here must have a Spurs friend who could provide an answer

I've got no sympathy for Unai at all , this " seemed a nice guy routine ".

Who cares .....He was a disaster , who bought it all on himself . Inflicted hours of miserable football on fans who forked out decent money to watch that dross .

He could have sought advice from any quarter and he'd still be in a job .

He's like a 2008 Wall Street banker gets magnificently rewarded for doing a terrible job ... where's the justice in that ?

Post #506095  Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:49 pm 

I wanted Emery gone. I think we all did.
I do feel a bit guilty at my glee when I found out.
Hearing his humble statement has touched me.
He was a decent man with no malice and tried to learn the language
He certainly didn't deserve the various mickey taking of his grasp of the English language.
He was not right for us but I wish him the sincere best.

Post #506096  Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:50 pm 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Mertesacker was a great player, is an Arsenal legend, as has leadership qualities in spades.

Quite right ......... Dead heating with the sloth for the fifty metre dash .... guarantees him legendary status in my book .

Post #506097  Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:59 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Someone on here must have a Spurs friend who could provide an answer

I’ve spoken to two Tottenham supporting friends about Pochettino and they both rate him highly so hope he doesn’t join Arsenal.

Post #506098  Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:01 pm 

Classic Arsenal to wait until Black Friday to sack Emery, hoping for a discount on the compensation.

**i can’t claim credit for that**

Post #506099  Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:02 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Harsh of Emery who seemed a nice guy but I can’t recall a manager more out of his depth.

He will now likely manage a mid table Spanish side or go back to starring in the Hotel Transylvania movies

FFS - it just didn't work at our club. In the right location he is a good manager. There was no 8-2 loses or even 6-1.

But the bottom line remains that if a player we had purchased for a lot of money had slotted a penalty against Spurs - then we would have had CL at the end of last season. He would have achieved his goal.

Post #506100  Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:09 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
A new dawn, again ......................

Happens everyday in my part of the world

Post #506101  Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:21 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

he has said he'd rather work on a farm than manage Arsenal or Barcelona.

When he was spurs manager though and before they fired him !

I never envisioned getting married as a bachelor. Time changes things

Well there's much needed 'farming' to be done at Arsenal lately. Depends on who's up for it. :angel8:

Post #506102  Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:21 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Harsh of Emery who seemed a nice guy but I can’t recall a manager more out of his depth.

He will now likely manage a mid table Spanish side or go back to starring in the Hotel Transylvania movies

FFS - it just didn't work at our club. In the right location he is a good manager. There was no 8-2 loses or even 6-1.

But the bottom line remains that if a player we had purchased for a lot of money had slotted a penalty against Spurs - then we would have had CL at the end of last season. He would have achieved his goal.

Christ on a bike! You're still blaming Aubameyang for our current predicament. Best striker in the league last season. I suppose you didn't rate Bergkamp or Brady either....

Post #506103  Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:38 pm 

dec wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Christ on a bike! You're still blaming Aubameyang for our current predicament. Best striker in the league last season. I suppose you didn't rate Bergkamp or Brady either....

Just pointing out a very simple fact. He would have achieved his target. So on such fine margins things are decided. No I don't like Emery's style or non-style of play but I also don't like the way our players seem to be immune from criticism. They are part of the problem at the club. I don't blame Aubameyang for our poor play or lack of tactics but I blame him for failure to get to the CL and always will.

The really bad thing about Aubs miss was that we would have been in CL (where we probably couldn't have crawled out of the group stages) but Spurs would have been in the Europa League this season and therefore less cashed up.

Post #506104  Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:54 pm 

The Freddie era begins I hope this was the right move. Granted we haven't looked good at all but the same can be said about periods of time under Wenger in his last few years.

Post #506105  Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:33 pm 

David Seaman reckons Freddie "will be really avant-garde as a manager "!!!

Hope it's more effective than Remi Garde as a manager.

Post #506106  Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:36 pm 

tomc wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

As I'm one of those who suggested the sacking with Freddie 'til the end of the season I'm happy right now but long term? Maybe Freddie could prove to be the man? To be honest I haven't a clue past the obvious names who keep coming up but I would like a manager who plays football.

On managers I must mention Gareth Ainsworth at Wycombe. Obviously not putting him forward for the Arsenal job but when younger English managers get mentioned he's never on the list. He's taken a bankrupt club who couldn't even fill the subs bench for a season to the top of League One. Really can't overstate the job he's done with no resources.

Was very surprised QPR didn't go for Ainsworth in the summer Ex, as a former player of theirs. As you say he's performed miracles at Wycombe. He's a dude too, very rock n roll.

I was under the impression they did talk to him. Certainly other clubs (Forest for one) have but no one has lured him away yet - he does seem genuinely settled around here. On the rock 'n' roll point I think I'm right he's got a single out for christmas.

Post #506107  Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:51 pm 

thofman wrote:
David Seaman reckons Freddie "will be really avant-garde as a manager "!!!

Hope it's more effective than Remi Garde as a manager.
:42laughter:

Post #506108  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:27 am 

I don't know if Vieira is ready for such a huge step up in managment for a club of our size but I do know he has the presence and stature. He was immense as captain. If he were chosen I'd hope that translates into his management.

Really cheering for Freddie and really hope Emery gets another job and proves us all wrong.

Post #506109  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:51 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
A new dawn, again ......................

Happens everyday in my part of the world

:42laughter:

Post #506110  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:52 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I don't know if Vieira is ready for such a huge step up in managment for a club of our size but I do know he has the presence and stature. He was immense as captain. If he were chosen I'd hope that translates into his management.

Really cheering for Freddie and really hope Emery gets another job and proves us all wrong.

AG, I think you actually meant to say, you hope Emery prove that you are right and everyone else wrong :42laughter:

Post #506111  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:54 am 

Looking forward to see how the team will be set-up for the Norwich game. Hope Freddie cuts out the play from the back nonsense.

Post #506112  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:43 am 

gooner7 wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

AG, I think you actually meant to say, you hope Emery prove that you are right and everyone else wrong :42laughter:

lol...perhaps.

Post #506113  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:39 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:

If Freds a better manager than he was a player we'll win the league.

Post #506114  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:02 am 

Decaf wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I thought he can only work for 3 months as he has no certificates.

Post #506115  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:30 am 

dec wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Don't know the answer to that one but he didn't want us to get rid of Alexis and thought he was the dogs bollox when I was saying he wasn't good for the team or as effective as some were saying.

Post #506116  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:25 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Looking forward to see how the team will be set-up for the Norwich game. Hope Freddie cuts out the play from the back nonsense.

Really interesting.

A cynical view might be that Freddie makes some drastic changes in tactics and players in a way to prove he wasn’t anything to do with the recent poor form.

You’d think some younger players might get more consistent chances. Nelson and Willock could get more chances, and surely Pépé will start

Post #506117  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:29 am 

Seems to be a big list of potential managers:
Arteta, Allegri, Rodgers, ancelloti, nuno espirito, nagelsmann, pochettino, Vieira, ljungberg

What is the forum’s top 3

Post #506118  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:44 am 

Rich wrote:
Arteta, Allegri, Rodgers, ancelloti, nuno espirito, nagelsmann, pochettino, Vieira, ljungberg

Pochettino, Rodgers and Vieira in order (however I think we have no chance with the first 2 )

Another new one being strongly linked today is Marcelino which would be fundamentally uninspiring

Post #506119  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:56 am 

Rich wrote:

Rodgers won't leave. Ngelsmann has only just started at Leipzig. Allegri can't speak English. On that list I'd go for Arteta. He's a risk but at least it would be some kind of statement as to where we are going. We never went for the flashy big name manager and tend to get managers from left field. Although he is not unknown he still would be an appointment with some pizazz.

Post #506120  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:15 am 

Decaf wrote:

No chance.

[ 572035 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12650, 12651, 12652, 12653, 12654, 12655, 12656 ... 14301  Next