Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: AmericanGooner, Bing [Bot], Decaf, warrior and 282 guests

Post #502121  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:48 am 

dec wrote:
If the season is declared null and void, no league results should count. It should be a full rewind to the end of last season. That would be very tough on Liverpool, Leeds and West Brom, but I think it is the fairest approach.

If this goes on for months, I think the days of huge salaries and transfer fees might be gone, at least for a while. Clubs are all losing revenue and the tv companies that generate so much income for the clubs will lose millions in advertising revenue.

Now that I did think about ! Say Lacazette and Aubameyang as an example.

If the season is voided are the club going to sit down with them and agree a contract extension of 300 k a week ish if they don’t even know when they can open their ground again ?

Post #502122  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:53 am 

dec wrote:
Clubs are all losing revenue and the tv companies that generate so much income for the clubs will lose millions in advertising revenue.

Wouldn’t it be nice if it makes Kroenke decide to sell the club. No reason to think he will, but I’d like to hope he will.

Post #502123  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:15 am 

I think the coronavirus is a massive wake-up call to the world and it's legacy in terms of it's effects on lives and businesses could last for years.

I keep hearing the govt talking about following the science but doesn't the rest of the world have access to this same science, and if they do why have they chosen a different path?

Post #502124  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:45 am 

socrates wrote:
I think the coronavirus is a massive wake-up call to the world and it's legacy in terms of it's effects on lives and businesses could last for years.

I keep hearing the govt talking about following the science but doesn't the rest of the world have access to this same science, and if they do why have they chosen a different path?

They are new generation Tories, how we could do with a Thatcher, Major or Blair type right now as imperfect as they were. This lot are just being new generation Tories.

Economy over lives, they are scared of a recession however a recession at this point is inevitable.

Post #502125  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:12 pm 

Attachment:

Finally, a solution to the toilet roll crisis.

Edit: Kiwi, did you knock this up in the shed?

Post #502126  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:31 pm 

Odd, that the while rest of the world are closing down their cities and indeed their countries - schools, universities, shops, entertainment, transport and travel - we alone are taking a different approach, closing and restricting very little. We seem to be encouraging a “controlled” mass outbreak to infect an enormous number early-on so as to achieve ‘herd immunity’.

The suggestion is that a 60-80% infection rate is required to achieve that; this equates to 40-50 million people. Of course the overwhelming majority will recover, but that’s still a very high risk strategy for many. It’s pretty high risk for the country as well.

Roll the dice, eh? Typical Boris.

Post #502127  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:43 pm 

There is no herd immunity for flu and the common cold.

“Herd immunity” is clearly a public slogan being used by Dominic Cummings to simply try and justify why they want to ignore the virus because of the terrible state of the economy and them not wanting to shut everything. People will die because of the strategy or lack of one

Post #502128  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:59 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
If they called the EPL null and void as from now would you have any objection if the teams current position determined CL and Europa League places for next year. It would be totally against us as we would not qualify but personally I would not object. And maybe those comps will not happen in any event. Liverpool would not be awarded the title and I would not relegate anyone, promote 3 and next year 4 would go down and 4 down in the following 2 years.

I would support that decision fully, if your idea was implemented. Tough on the teams trying to get promoted and what a piece of luck for Norwich and others likely to go down. But if it stops Liverpool winning the league, that’s great. American said he hoped the other clubs would get together and agree to award them the title. I don’t. Stuff Liverpool.

My guess is that this season will be declared null and void so there’ll be no winner and no relegation, but Leeds & WBA will be promoted. That will mean a 22 team league next season with 42 games - 4 more than we’ve had for many years now.

All this should see the end of the League Cup and a re-jig of the FA Cup with no replays. 4 down and 3 up for the next two seasons will get the PL back on track.

Post #502129  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:34 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

“Herd immunity” is clearly a public slogan being used by Dominic Cummings to simply try and justify why they want to ignore the virus because of the terrible state of the economy and them not wanting to shut everything. People will die because of the strategy or lack of one

I hope I’m wrong, but Cummings ideas on eugenics and genetics may well be behind this. Which makes the policy all the more chilling.

And as regards the policy, even if our CMO and chief scientific adviser agree with it, they still seem to be very much in the minority of medical opinion worldwide.

And as for that YouTube bucket video, I’d love to know who that bloke is. He makes the policy sound so logical, apart from one MASSIVE mistake; his whole argument forgets that the NHS is already, without Covid-19, at breaking point.

This should be declared a national emergency now, and we should be requisitioning private hospital beds, not paying £2.4 million a day for them. And Richard Branson can feck right off.

Post #502130  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:12 pm 

At the very least we should be in lock-down to allow time for the manufacture of more ventilators that would save lives.

Not to do so is unforgiveable.

Post #502131  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:14 pm 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I would support that decision fully, if your idea was implemented. Tough on the teams trying to get promoted and what a piece of luck for Norwich and others likely to go down. But if it stops Liverpool winning the league, that’s great. American said he hoped the other clubs would get together and agree to award them the title. I don’t. Stuff Liverpool.

My guess is that this season will be declared null and void so there’ll be no winner and no relegation, but Leeds & WBA will be promoted. That will mean a 22 team league next season with 42 games - 4 more than we’ve had for many years now.

All this should see the end of the League Cup and a re-jig of the FA Cup with no replays. 4 down and 3 up for the next two seasons will get the PL back on track.

To be honest, DHD, I think football is a complete inconsequence at the moment, until we get this virus under some sort of control.

Post #502132  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:19 pm 

john1 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I hope I’m wrong, but Cummings ideas on eugenics and genetics may well be behind this. Which makes the policy all the more chilling.

And as regards the policy, even if our CMO and chief scientific adviser agree with it, they still seem to be very much in the minority of medical opinion worldwide.

And as for that YouTube bucket video, I’d love to know who that bloke is. He makes the policy sound so logical, apart from one MASSIVE mistake; his whole argument forgets that the NHS is already, without Covid-19, at breaking point.

This should be declared a national emergency now, and we should be requisitioning private hospital beds, not paying £2.4 million a day for them. And Richard Branson can feck right off.

Hi john1,

We are effectively betting the lives of our elderly and those with underlying medical conditions on our scientists being right and everybody else being wrong.

If few of the world's most esteemed scientists and epidemiologists think its the right approach, many to the point of being horrified, I would suggest the strong likelihood is that it isn't.

Post #502133  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:23 pm 

john1 wrote:

Sorry John, but that sounds like an extremely implausible conspiracy theory, and there are plenty doing the internet rounds at the moment, as you might expect.

Post #502134  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:32 pm 

Yes, I'm going to bleat on about the FA giving Liverpool the title (if the majority of owners/coaches agree) if the season is null and void. As much as Liverpool gave me ulcers with their weekly wins, the achievement thus far is nothing short of...well, I can't come up with any adjectives to describe it. It should be recognized.

As for the virus, the global deaths on the news said about 5,400. I don't believe that number for a second. China said 2800 roughly. They have zero transparency. I think its multiple times that and they gave a low ball number to make it seem like they have it in control. The level and degree they went to, shutting down an area with millions on millions and it being at point zero, I believe it spread so fast and was so deadly, they couldn't keep it under their hats because of the possible pandemic. My guestimate is their number of deaths are double the global number. They knew the economic hit they would take if they talked about it but it was out of their hands. Too many people, including foreigners saw the effects and the strong possibility the world would have a pandemic would ensue a global depression they would lose out economically anyway.

Japan says the Olympics are still going on but even if it does, it's going to be very, subdued. It's too soon after the hysteria to give anyone comfort. But Iguess after you spend so much money in advance to host it, you can't write it off...just yet.

The few experts out there are saying the world needs a cultural change to fight it. People are simply going to have to change their personal habits, gloves, washing hands, preventative measures. And its going to change how we raise kids. Parents let their kids do all kinds of things so they can have a happy childhood. Kids will sneeze, cough and spread germs like its nobody's business. If one kid gets something at day care, like the cold they all have it because of how kids are with each other as an example.

If this becomes something we are going to have to live with seasonally and like its cousin, it will mutate and need a different vaccine periodically to fight a new strain, then its going to get much worse before it gets better.

But Liverpool deserves their due. :1laughter:

Post #502135  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:38 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
john1 wrote:

Sorry John, but that sounds like an extremely implausible conspiracy theory, and there are plenty doing the internet rounds at the moment, as you might expect.

Why is it implausible if we are literally the only country on the planet that seems without an interest in stopping the spread of a deadly disease.

Open airports, schools and no testing on countries coming in that have been infested with it.

To the rest of the planet that’s inexplicable and even the more liberal countries have enforced draconian measures so why is that so far fetched to suggest. There’s a reason we are behaving differently. The morality of the government is in question

Post #502136  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:30 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Why is it implausible if we are literally the only country on the planet that seems without an interest in stopping the spread of a deadly disease.

Open airports, schools and no testing on countries coming in that have been infested with it.

To the rest of the planet that’s inexplicable and even the more liberal countries have enforced draconian measures so why is that so far fetched to suggest. There’s a reason we are behaving differently. The morality of the government is in question

That's rubbish TG. It may be that you disagree with the strategy, it may be that the strategy is wrong. However, the idea that Boris and Cummings are trying somehow to cull the population is bonkers.

Post #502137  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:49 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

That's rubbish TG. It may be that you disagree with the strategy, it may be that the strategy is wrong. However, the idea that Boris and Cummings are trying somehow to cull the population is bonkers.

A cull ? Probably not, I think they just don’t give a *%^@.

Cummings type of people he recruits ? Weirdos who like coding, he has bizarre views and doesn’t hesitate to employ people who believe in eugenics ffs.

So a cull ? Probably not ? However it’s not that much more mental than a country not bothering to protect itself from a deadly virus

Post #502138  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:16 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
john1 wrote:

Hi Brom,

Just for clarity's sake, I don't mean Cummings is responsible for the actual virus, but his ideas on eugenics may well be a driving force behind our govt's policy.

As I said, I hope I'm wrong and I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories. But there's a lot about Cummings that is to say the least, questionable.

If anyone can reassure me on this, please do.

Post #502139  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:20 pm 

john1 wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Hi Brom,

Just for clarity's sake, I don't mean Cummings is responsible for the actual virus, but his ideas on eugenics may well be a driving force behind our govt's policy.

As I said, I hope I'm wrong and I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories. But there's a lot about Cummings that is to say the least, questionable.

This is the kind of thing I've read which worries me:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/pete-s ... ccounter=1

Post #502140  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:40 pm 

john1 wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Hi Brom,

Hi John
I understand that some of Cummings' ideas are very questionable. I just think that the idea that there's any kind of link between Cummings' thoughts on genetics and UK coronavirus response is very far fetched.
But, obviously, what do I know.

Post #502141  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:51 pm 

No football and fearful times but we can alleviate some of that with a little reminiscing.

Post #502142  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:05 pm 

I love hearing ex pros talk about these matches. I would love to hear other players. A little disappointed Keown doesn't 'hate' Tottenham. I'd love to see a panel with Sherring'scum', big Tone, John Terry all talk about the Derbies.

Post #502143  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:08 pm 

All pubs and bars in Ireland closing tomorrow for at least two weeks. Tuesday is St Patrick's Day. Unprecedented times.

Post #502144  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:17 pm 

I was reading the comments on the video and the early posts were going in on Jenas. One of the funniest was Norwich vs Ipswich, the 'Old Farm derby...LOLOLOLOL

Post #502145  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:42 pm 

They mention, of course, Sol's transfer. I do feel for them in that regard, you can't blame Tottenham to feel hard done by. Not the popular thing to say on this forum but its true.

Post #502146  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:14 pm 

*%^@* sake......3590 new coronavirus cases in Italy. 368 dead in one day.

This has to be airborne doesn't it?

Post #502147  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:19 pm 

socrates wrote:

It is. But since it's in the respiratory tract and viruses are so unbelievably tiny, they just float out with water vapour when you talk (if you're infected obviously). So it spreads incredibly easily, especially as it takes so long for the infected to show any symptoms.

Post #502148  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:53 pm 

socrates wrote:

What? I'll turn to the news. Countries demographic issues (top heavy with the elderly...Italy, Japan Korea) are going to be hit hard. Italy probably has one of if not the biggest demographic issue in Europe.

There are whole small towns with hardly any young people. The country is practically giving away homes to anyone who will live and renovate them. All the young people have left, lack of jobs, boredom, etc, so in a way it makes sense, sadly enough, that Italy would be hit fairly hard.

Post #502149  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:55 pm 

Also 'reported' cases means only that. The unknown is the scary part. The number out there affected passing it on. I feel like I'm in real time in the beginning of one of those Hollywood movies.

Post #502150  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:56 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
john1 wrote:

Hi Brom,

Hi John
I understand that some of Cummings' ideas are very questionable. I just think that the idea that there's any kind of link between Cummings' thoughts on genetics and UK coronavirus response is very far fetched.

Just to give an external view, in Ireland we can't understand the UK government's approach. It looks like an almighty gamble. An experiment on a national level. It is directly contravening the WHO advice.

Post #502151  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:01 pm 

dec wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Hi John

Just to give an external view, in Ireland we can't understand the UK government's approach. It looks like an almighty gamble. An experiment on a national level. It is directly contravening the WHO advice.

Hi Dec,

If this goes horribly wrong, and it could, the country will never forgive Boris and his cronies.

Post #502152  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:03 pm 

dec wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Hi John

I genuinely believe they are putting the needs of the economy above the needs of the health and lives of the population.

Post #502153  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:06 pm 

Wirral Gooner wrote:
dec wrote:

I genuinely believe they are putting the needs of the economy above the needs of the health and lives of the population.

And we are just about the only European country adopting this approach. I demand to see the science that they are basing their political decisions on.

Post #502154  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:15 pm 

Wirral Gooner wrote:
Wirral Gooner wrote:

And we are just about the only European country adopting this approach. I demand to see the science that they are basing their political decisions on.

Communities will become immune to it and it’s going to be important part of controlling this. About 60pc is figure you need to get herd immunity’
-CSO Sir Patrick Vallance Mar14

So when Boris Johnson emerges tomorrow first question must be: is that still policy because now everyone knows that approach kills a couple hundred thousand of us.

The truth is the strategy has nothing to do with science. It’s about money.

Post #502155  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:16 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
socrates wrote:

What? I'll turn to the news. Countries demographic issues (top heavy with the elderly...Italy, Japan Korea) are going to be hit hard. Italy probably has one of if not the biggest demographic issue in Europe.

There are whole small towns with hardly any young people. The country is practically giving away homes to anyone who will live and renovate them. All the young people have left, lack of jobs, boredom, etc, so in a way it makes sense, sadly enough, that Italy would be hit fairly hard.

Approximately 50% of the deaths in Italy are in Lombardy. Lombardy is Italy's wealthiest region contributing c20% of the country's GDP. It's capital is Milan. This isn't some fictional Godfather/old town of Corleone we are talking about.

Post #502156  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:48 pm 

socrates wrote:
dec wrote:

Hi Dec,

If this goes horribly wrong, and it could, the country will never forgive Boris and his cronies.

Hi Soc,

If it goes wrong, the backlash against Boris will be an afterthought in comparison to the devastation to be dealt with.

I agree with Top Gun. This is about putting money ahead of people.

Post #502157  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:21 pm 

So alone in the world, our policy is to go for ‘herd immunity’. This requires at least 40,000,000 people to catch the virus, the assumption being that 98-99% will recover relatively quicky with no particular dramas and will achieve immunity to the current strain of the Coronavirus, though this immune status cannot yet be relied upon. The survival rate is probably reasonable but to achieve it, up to 10% of those infected will probably require Intensive Care treatment on ventilators. That’s up to 4,000,000 patients in intensive care. They won’t all be there at the same time but think about that number.

Advantages of the ‘herd immunity’ strategy:
1. By allowing the population to become infected by natural transmission with few interventions, it gets us through the infection stage quickly and doesn’t lay the country open to successive waves of infection, the worry being that once any lockdown is relaxed, infection rates will immediately spike again and we get into a cycle of infection/lockdown/infection ad nauseum.
2. Apart from the cost of equipping the NHS to deal with 4,000,000 ITU cases, this is a relatively low-cost strategy since no particular restraints are placed on commerce so there shouldn’t be much compensation to pay. No massive civil or armed forces interventions are required as most normal activities will continue, albeit many people will be choose to be less active for obvious reasons.
3. A lot of older people will sadly die. Whilst they’re unfortunate collateral damage, at this point, this is an advantage since the Care system is completely broken and a significant reduction in the number of Clients will make further planning easier and cheaper.
4. Similarly, fewer old and infirm people means fewer bed-blockers and less pressure on the NHS, which is good.

Disadvantages:
1. An awful lot of older people and people with underlying conditions will die - effectively they’ll be culled by Government policy.
2. Because we all know that the NHS will receive nothing like the help it needs to deal with the expected up to 4,000,000 ITU cases, the mortality rate will be higher, going from 1-2% to maybe 3-4%. At the lower end, that’s 120,000 older people and people with underlying conditions. It could be a lot more.
3. Whist the loss of those 120,000 will create useful capacity in the Care system and the NHS, it will also mean the loss of a great number of ’Captains of Industry’, wealth creators, acedemics, educators, legislators, the judiciary etc. I could go on for a while here but this country to a large extent is owned, managed, governed and sustained by people in the vulnerable age bracket.
4. This august forum would be a quieter place.

Some gamble, eh? I wonder why the rest of the world chooses to protect its citizens as a first priority. What does Boris and his government know that the rest of the world has missed?

I agree we should be told.

Post #502158  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:42 pm 

socrates wrote:
dec wrote:

Hi Dec,

I disagree with this.

Another lie will be constructed akin to the one that convinced british people to damage our GDP by up to 14 % and remove their freedom of movement.

It will be the fault of the EU, previous government policies, the Chinese or the one armed man.

And you know what ? ..... the people will buy it and drink the kool aid again.

Post #502159  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:12 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi Dec,

I disagree with this.

Another lie will be constructed akin to the one that convinced british people to damage our GDP by up to 14 % and remove their freedom of movement.

It will be the fault of the EU, previous government policies, the Chinese or the one armed man.

And you know what ? ..... the people will buy it and drink the kool aid again.

They will just say - we followed medical advice. Game set & match. Throw in the words fake news and avoid responsibility.

Post #502160  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:22 pm 

Very sobering reading. The coronavirus could last until Spring 2021.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... SApp_Other

[ 563338 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12551, 12552, 12553, 12554, 12555, 12556, 12557 ... 14084  Next