Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, mcquilkie and 281 guests

Post #508361  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:35 am 

Now seen an article on it

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... r-21037498

Post #508362  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:52 am 

Folks, if you're interested and any sort of member of The Arsenal, you should have had an email giving you instructions on how to get a free pass to watch the pre-season games.

BUT YOU MUST SIGN ON AND REDEEM YOUR VOUCHER BEFORE MIDDAY TODAY.

There's 4 games include; Hibs tonight, Rangers Saturday, Inter Sunday 25th, and Everton or Millionarios on Wednesday 28th.

Post #508363  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:15 am 

john1 wrote:
Folks, if you're interested and any sort of member of The Arsenal, you should have had an email giving you instructions on how to get a free pass to watch the pre-season games.

There's 4 games include; Hibs tonight, Rangers Saturday, Inter Sunday 25th, and Everton or Millionarios on Wednesday 28th.

Yeah the email came last Wednesday. Thanks.

Post #508364  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:37 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Noticeable that the article finished with the following paragraph. Myself, I suspect the point might well be valid.

“However, it should be considered that the numbers worn in training sessions can differ from their actual squad numbers, highlighting that this theory that Hillson is the new proprietor of the No.32 shirt and Smith Rowe will claim No.10 should be taken with a pinch of salt and caution.”

Also, even if he changes his shirt number, does it guarantee Smith Rowe is going to sign a new contract? After all, has anyone changed their squad number before without signing a new contract? Off hand, I can’t name examples because I take little notice of number changes. But it wouldn’t surprise me if number changes have occurred without a new contract being signed.

Post #508365  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:31 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Noticeable that the article finished with the following paragraph. Myself, I suspect the point might well be valid.

“However, it should be considered that the numbers worn in training sessions can differ from their actual squad numbers, highlighting that this theory that Hillson is the new proprietor of the No.32 shirt and Smith Rowe will claim No.10 should be taken with a pinch of salt and caution.”

Also, even if he changes his shirt number, does it guarantee Smith Rowe is going to sign a new contract? After all, has anyone changed their squad number before without signing a new contract? Off hand, I can’t name examples because I take little notice of number changes. But it wouldn’t surprise me if number changes have occurred without a new contract being signed.

Hi Bernard, Top Gun isn't saying that all of this means that The Smith is categorically, definitely, absolutely going to sign the contract - just that it's looking better. Which, I think, is a fair comment. We all know that it isn't official until arsenal.com announces it, but if you want us all silenced until then, it'll be a long and cruel summer on the forum. Yes, with hot summer streets and the pavements are burning.

Post #508366  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:38 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Not true at all. It's pathetic the way the left are weaponising this. Had Boris said nothing the same people would be slaying him for saying nothing.

Post #508367  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Hi Bernard, Top Gun isn't saying that all of this means that The Smith is categorically, definitely, absolutely going to sign the contract - just that it's looking better. Which, I think, is a fair comment. We all know that it isn't official until arsenal.com announces it, but if you want us all silenced until then, it'll be a long and cruel summer on the forum. Yes, with hot summer streets and the pavements are burning.

Fair point. I do expect Smith Rowe to sign a new contract with Arsenal myself. I’m just not convinced a change in shirt number means much.

Post #508368  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:32 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Not true at all. It's pathetic the way the left are weaponising this. Had Boris said nothing the same people would be slaying him for saying nothing.
The comment about Rashford by the Tory MP for Dover shows that weapons are wielded on both sides?

Post #508369  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:35 pm 

Bernard wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

Fair point. I do expect Smith Rowe to sign a new contract with Arsenal myself. I’m just not convinced a change in shirt number means much.
Yep - agreed.

Post #508370  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:46 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Gunfire wrote:
The comment about Rashford by the Tory MP for Dover shows that weapons are wielded on both sides?

Absolutely, also why does it have to be a weapon on either side? Why can’t the government simply say they find the booing of anti discrimination causes disappointing. Surely politicians should be encouraging people to the best person they can possibly be. As seen with some of the acts around Wembley on Sunday there seems to be a developing culture of self and lack of personal accountability anymore

Post #508371  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:55 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Absolutely, also why does it have to be a weapon on either side? Why can’t the government simply say they find the booing of anti discrimination causes disappointing. Surely politicians should be encouraging people to the best person they can possibly be. As seen with some of the acts around Wembley on Sunday there seems to be a developing culture of self and lack of personal accountability anymore

The Sun's headline about standing behind Saka, Sancho and Rashford is pathetically hypocritical, while the Martin Samuel article in the Daily Mail might be pretty similar, but hopefully it all suggests that the tide of public opinion is overwhelmingly moving in one particular direction ...?

Post #508372  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:57 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

When you dog-whistle for long enough don't act all innocent when the dogs bark. They knew exactly what they were doing when they refused to condemn the booing of the knee. They have swallowed up the UKIP vote and know they need to retain them.

Oh, and anyone who uses the woke is an idiot.

Post #508373  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:58 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
The Sun's headline about standing behind Saka, Sancho and Rashford is pathetically hypocritical, while the Martin Samuel article in the Daily Mail might be pretty similar, but hopefully it all suggests that the tide of public opinion is overwhelmingly moving in one particular direction ...?

I hope you're right, but I won't be holding my breath.

Post #508374  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:11 pm 

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

When you dog-whistle for long enough don't act all innocent when the dogs bark. They knew exactly what they were doing when they refused to condemn the booing of the knee. They have swallowed up the UKIP vote and know they need to retain them.

Oh, and anyone who uses the woke is an idiot.

Nicely expressed, Darren.

Post #508375  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:20 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

No chance, the dog whistling from the government will continue and therefore they will need the press doing their bidding for them. Public opinion and psyche is effected by the press coverage depressingly.

Just look at the booing of the other national anthems, and after Europe there will need to be a new cause to whip up these people so tick a box from immigration or capital punishment because something else is coming this way.

Post #508376  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:29 pm 

Darren wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

I hope you're right, but I won't be holding my breath.

Judging by the size of support for the far-right in just about every country, I would have to agree.

Why is taking the knee seen as a divisive political gesture? To me it is an act of necessary civility.

Post #508377  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:35 pm 

Bernard wrote:
john1 wrote:

Hmmm. I didn’t get any email from Arsenal.

Post #508378  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:36 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:

I have to say I found her comments really low.

Post #508379  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:58 pm 

I read some quote by Kane and didn't know what it was for until later finding out that some English fans have been racially abusing Rashford, Saka and Sancho. Didn't even occur to me linking the 3 in online insults based on melanin composition would happen. I suspected opposing fans may make a song about missing the penalty perhaps, expected in football but not this.

America is like that. America doesn't mind dominating the showcase events at the Olympics like the sprints boxing, basketball, etc and using those medals for 'soft power' and those same Americans backed Tyson Fury over their own heavyweight boxer as well as McGregor over Mayweather. What happened to backing the American? I wonder what would happen if they all decided not to participate such as what almost happened in '68.

Our internal issues in that regard certainly didn't start with Trump. Leaders can add to or speak up against what is already there but it was always there as it is in England and other places. 100 years ago in America it was that as well as Papal and Jewish threat. And both are still spoken of by the extreme, with LBGTQ the new bogeyman.

Post #508380  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:16 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

I agree entirely. Spirt should be just that....sport.

Post #508381  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:32 pm 

Decaf wrote:
...Why is taking the knee seen as a divisive political gesture? To me it is an act of necessary civility.
Presumably because the act itself is so closely associated with some people and organisations with radical political agendas which go beyond the fine idea of improving the wrongs of criminal justice systems? The simple humanitarian message that black lives matter has been politicised by BLM and its opponents, and many people find that confusing, concerning or not representative of their beliefs. I have no issue with anybody taking the knee, but I shouldn't have to in order to express my anti-racism or my civility. For me it isn't necessary, and I don't want to be judged wrongly if I exert my free choice not to do so. Neither do I want to make a gesture of it to gain some sort of approval. A lot of people feel this way. The problem we have is too much binary thinking - you know, the Brexiteer = racist type of nonsense.

Post #508382  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:42 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

No chance, the dog whistling from the government will continue and therefore they will need the press doing their bidding for them. Public opinion and psyche is effected by the press coverage depressingly.

Just look at the booing of the other national anthems, and after Europe there will need to be a new cause to whip up these people so tick a box from immigration or capital punishment because something else is coming this way.

Yep, sadly I suspect you're probably right.

Post #508383  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:30 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Decaf wrote:
...Why is taking the knee seen as a divisive political gesture? To me it is an act of necessary civility.
Presumably because the act itself is so closely associated with some people and organisations with radical political agendas which go beyond the fine idea of improving the wrongs of criminal justice systems? The simple humanitarian message that black lives matter has been politicised by BLM and its opponents, and many people find that confusing, concerning or not representative of their beliefs. I have no issue with anybody taking the knee, but I shouldn't have to in order to express my anti-racism or my civility. For me it isn't necessary, and I don't want to be judged wrongly if I exert my free choice not to do so. Neither do I want to make a gesture of it to gain some sort of approval. A lot of people feel this way. The problem we have is too much binary thinking - you know, the Brexiteer = racist type of nonsense.

I’m understand the line of thought but consider for a moment that when United lost their Europa tie Marcus Rashford received over 70 racial slurs directed at him on social media including some from a maths teacher responsible for the education of children with a verified profile! At what point do you start saying enough is enough and the imperfections of a protest are neither here nor there compared to the problem overall.

It’s got to stop right ?

Post #508384  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:41 pm 

Looks like willock is heading back to Newcastle on loan then.

Post #508385  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:13 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Wow. The club really are taking the piss. Just looked at the Arsenal app. I can buy a match pass to watch the Hibs game for £7.99. Or a four game pass for £27.99.

For pre season kickabouts. That’s the way to win fans - not.

Post #508386  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:23 pm 

Okonkwo having a mare

Post #508387  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:36 pm 

This 'yellow' kit is horrible

Post #508388  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:44 pm 

Nketiah just missed one of the easiest chances of all time. Honestly my Nan could have scored it

Post #508389  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:48 pm 

1-0 to Hibs half time

Post #508390  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:28 pm 

2-0 Hibs. Very poor defending

Post #508391  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:36 pm 

I know it’s the first game of preseason but us missing a total sitter, conceding to a gk mistake, conceding a 2nd from a corner with terrible defending and now having a penalty saved is so very Arsenal.

Still plenty of time in the transfer window to get rid of these players but it’s still quite depressing to see some of them in our shirt still.

Post #508392  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:48 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Wow. The club really are taking the piss. Just looked at the Arsenal app. I can buy a match pass to watch the Hibs game for £7.99. Or a four game pass for £27.99.

For pre season kickabouts. That’s the way to win fans - not.

Total joke

Kroenke trying to flog viewing to fans in China rather than his “legacy” fans. Shows how misguided they are when most friendlies are dreadful. I remember one v Barnet I went to when they took the field we had a fat version of Arshavin playing who must have put on 2 stone. The game was so poor we spent the 2nd half in the bar.

Post #508393  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:03 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
It’s got to stop right ?
I agree that racism should stop and there is nothing wrong with taking the knee to support that point. The England footballers should take credit for doing so, but it is not the be-all and end-all of anti-racism. It is quite evidently not something everybody is comfortable with. There are many ways to give substance to anti-racism.

Post #508394  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:05 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Nketiah just missed one of the easiest chances of all time. Honestly my Nan could have scored it

Nanketiah?

Post #508395  Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:23 pm 

I honestly don’t blame them.

https://skwawkbox.org/2021/07/13/breaki ... t-johnson/

Post #508396  Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:12 am 

I sometimes find Arteta's man management very difficult to accept.
https://metro.co.uk/2021/07/13/mikel-ar ... wsnow-feed

This is not the first time he has said this about S-R in the press. Given he scored our only goal against Hibs, this seems a little strange.

On the other hand he says SR will be 100% at Arsenal this season
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... nners.html

Not clear he needs to ventilate this in the press. Will he be so forthcoming with comments in the press about Willian (who played against Hibs) and Aubameyang strike rate this season.

Post #508397  Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:22 am 

Why pay. Highlights available to watch on Arsenal.com interesting but we had good chances so we should have won but it's really not that important

Rangers next game. Would be nice to win that

Post #508398  Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:25 am 

Somebody else said this on twitter but it sums up the blm point perfectly.

If it wasn't a knee but a Hitler salute would you still say it's a race thing or call it for what it is?

Post #508399  Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:59 am 

bubblechris wrote:

If it wasn't a knee but a Hitler salute would you still say it's a race thing or call it for what it is?

But it’s not ? That makes no sense whatsoever

Post #508400  Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:09 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

But it’s not ? That makes no sense whatsoever

Let's see.
a) Taking the knee is a protest against racism.
b) The Hitler salute is a protest again the right to existence of jews, homosexuals, slav, black people, disabled people, dissent, small nations, and anything else that in unfortunately enough to get in the way of will to power

But no doubt there are good people on both sides!

Let's try another one
1) Blowing a raspberry at someone or exposing your arse/ scratching your nuts in public
2) Greeting people politely, shaking hands, thanking people, showing consideration.

The are both 'civility things'. Are they both reprehensible? If not why should a) and b) (both 'race things') be treated equally?

[ 548398 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12707, 12708, 12709, 12710, 12711, 12712, 12713 ... 13710  Next