Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf and 278 guests

Post #516401  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:17 am 

Even though Man Utd's form over the last 5 games is better than ours (4 wins and a draw to our 4 wins a loss), I don't think many would say we have been playing the best of the 4th place spot clubs (Man Utd, Tottenham, West Ham).

Liverpool is yet another test and even though there is a good chance we will lose 2 straight games, its not like the results are unexpected. I think we can get a draw out of the game if we play anything like we did against City.

Two big factors will have an effect on this race this month. How much the loss of players in the ANC will affect the sides and who will leave or come in the transfer window.

The big takeaway from the game that one or two have mentioned is that we are playing bloody good football, and its good enough to more than hold our own with anyone in the league. At least for parts of a game.

And this is happening without arguably our best striker. Form aside, he's the best we have. Second, we have a very young squad. The upside is great. A few are captain material (Tierney, Emile Smith Rowe).

The big question is what transfer business will take place for us? What position(s) do we need? Who needs to go? Aubameyang's immediate future is the big elephant in the room. However, lets not forget we have others on the books that aren't here: Kosniac, Bellerin, Torreira, Guendouzi. Of these 4, I think Torreira could do okay in this current squad. But we already know the story with him. These players should have been cleared off the books months ago.

Post #516402  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:18 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Yes Zed, The Ipcress File is my favourite ahead of The Wicker Man in second place, Get Carter third, and Zulu fourth.

Bernard are you talking of all movies you have viewed or only Michael Caine movies?

From the ones I’ve viewed, three of my favourites are Michael Caine films (he wasn’t in The Wicker Man).

Post #516403  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:25 am 

azinoz wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Yes Zed, The Ipcress File is my favourite ahead of The Wicker Man in second place, Get Carter third, and Zulu fourth.

All distinctly British films Bernard but yet you prefer to support Germany over England. I’m not a psychologist but if I was I’d be very interested in you

Thinking about it I do tend to prefer British films. Has no links to my dislike of the English national team across various sports, although mainly football. That came from the 1970 World Cup game, which I’ve mentioned. In non-sporting loyalties some may consider me relatively patriotic. As a general rule, my favourite films or at least the ones I enjoy most weren’t made that recently. Modern films don’t really do it for me.

The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 and Rosemary’s Baby are probably my favourite American or non UK films. I also enjoyed Dirty Harry, some of the Death Wish films and the Molly Maguires (I assume it’s American as despite having Sean Connery in it, it was set in the USA).

All the favourites I speak of are the original films under a title. The remade Wicker Man was utter garbage in my view.

Post #516404  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:23 am 

I’d like to see us go with a strong team in the home leg of the semi v Liverpool. Liverpool will be missing a fair few players. Salah, Mané and Keita are at the ACN, Alison, Firminho and Matip (and klopp) all have covid so assume won’t be back in time. Thiago and Minamino are injured. We have a chance to go and really attack them.

Post #516405  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:29 am 

This tie is dicey. Liverpool have a fairly big squad in terms of quality. We aren't as steep. If we win the first leg, they will go for it in the 2nd leg and we may end up losing the tie and mentally be down going into the Tottenham game where they are hungry for revenge and the added 4th place implications.

This cup is also sandwiched the Forest FA cup game. And we could caught looking ahead. Its dicey.

Post #516406  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:03 am 

long time gooner wrote:
And yet another view on the continued erratic application of VAR.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... 4UWrn-mRkw

Can’t disagree with any of that.

Another thing I've noticed but nobody has mentioned is that when the ref goes to the screen he is only shown a couple of clips so is again incorrectly judging the var man not the incident?

Post #516407  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:22 am 

Wow. I’ve just watched the highlights of the Brentford vs Villa game. Massive shirt pull (far longer and far worse than Xhaka‘s) in the area by Sorensen but Michael Oliver and VAR ignored it.

It is the wild inconsistency that is so annoying, combined with the fact that we pretty well always get stuffed on these type on situations.

Post #516408  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:23 am 

It’s being reported in Italy that Torreira will complete his move to florentina for 13 million in the next 2 weeks as they are exercising the option. Good news really.

Post #516409  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:35 am 

azinoz wrote:
Bernard wrote:

All distinctly British films Bernard but yet you prefer to support Germany over England. I’m not a psychologist but if I was I’d be very interested in you

Eccentric perhaps, but since when was that a bad thing? :laughing7:

I would put 'Get Carter', and in particular, Michael Caine's performance, very near the top of my list of vivid and memorable films. I haven't watched the other three for a while.

Post #516410  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:35 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Hope to see Arsenal make swift transfer decisions in this window
Shift Aubameyang, Pépé, AMN, Chambers, Elneny, Nketiah as quickly as possible
An upgrade Forward and Defensive Midfield in this window
And then we are set for 4th

I seriously doubt we will get the volume of action you hope to see mate.

Might get some loans for Aubameyang, AMN and balogun going out and a midfielder coming in on loan to provide cover but I’d be shocked if much more happens. Hope I’m wrong.

Post #516411  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:42 am 

Get carter and Zulu are great films, not a fan of the ipcress file which I found boring despite loving spy thrillers. Loved the man who would be king when I was a kid. Some of Michael Caines performances in the recent Nolan films have been very good despite him being a lot older now. Terrific onscreen presence

Post #516412  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:45 am 

I suppose herein lies the problem. Ex ref Clattenburg gives his view on the 3 big decisions. I’ve seen other people give exactly the opposite view of all 3.

Attachments:

Post #516413  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:46 am 

Bernard wrote:
grantyboy wrote:
And with that movie, most of England went to sleep and can wake up with the Covid pandemic and any memory of Arsenals match with city a long distant memory.

Views on films are clearly a personal opinion. But if your opinion of The Ipcress File is genuinely that, I consider your assessment infantile, or even pathetic. Perhaps you were just trying to wind me up, although I don’t know why you’d bother?

I gave it a watch when you mentioned it a few years back. Extremely long windy dialogue, Caine doing his best impersonation of a wooden mannequin and horrible screenplay. Turned it off after 40 minutes. Horrible stuff.

The only thing infantile and pathetic is your burning need to start flinging around insults because you can't bear the thought the someone doesn't like something that you've got a crush on from your teenage years.

Post #516414  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:47 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
It’s being reported in Italy that Torreira will complete his move to florentina for 13 million in the next 2 weeks as they are exercising the option. Good news really.

As good as we could expect. He’s done well for them. Lots of big teams are struggling to get decent money for players they don’t want. Just look at the dross clogging up Man U’s squad

Post #516415  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:48 am 

bubblechris wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
And yet another view on the continued erratic application of VAR.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... 4UWrn-mRkw

Can’t disagree with any of that.

Another thing I've noticed but nobody has mentioned is that when the ref goes to the screen he is only shown a couple of clips so is again incorrectly judging the var man not the incident?

That's a very good point.

Post #516416  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:50 am 

Rich wrote:
I suppose herein lies the problem. Ex ref Clattenburg gives his view on the 3 big decisions. I’ve seen other people give exactly the opposite view of all 3.

Having watched them back now without emotion I don’t think any of them are penalties and they are only given because of what can only be described as modern football bollocks. Gabriel’s yellow on the halfway line was harsh and clumsy but not a yellow in my opinion.it’s too easy to get a penalty these days

Post #516417  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:54 am 

azinoz wrote:
I think Warrior was to be at least 'mentioned in dispatches' but the general consensus was, he's being more than amply rewarded anyway and was totally disregarded.

Post #516418  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:07 am 

grantyboy wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Views on films are clearly a personal opinion. But if your opinion of The Ipcress File is genuinely that, I consider your assessment infantile, or even pathetic. Perhaps you were just trying to wind me up, although I don’t know why you’d bother?

I gave it a watch when you mentioned it a few years back. Extremely long windy dialogue, Caine doing his best impersonation of a wooden mannequin and horrible screenplay. Turned it off after 40 minutes. Horrible stuff.

The only thing infantile and pathetic is your burning need to start flinging around insults because you can't bear the thought the someone doesn't like something that you've got a crush on from your teenage years.

So why bother commenting on it? All I did was mention it was on. You’ve said before you don’t like it which is fair enough as we all have our own views. You obviously wanted a reaction from me, so I was thoughtful enough to give you one.

Post #516419  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:12 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
Hope to see Arsenal make swift transfer decisions in this window
Shift Aubameyang, Pépé, AMN, Chambers, Elneny, Nketiah as quickly as possible
An upgrade Forward and Defensive Midfield in this window
And then we are set for 4th

I seriously doubt we will get the volume of action you hope to see mate.

Might get some loans for Aubameyang, AMN and balogun going out and a midfielder coming in on loan to provide cover but I’d be shocked if much more happens. Hope I’m wrong.

I know mate, just a wish list

Post #516420  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:13 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Forgot he is still our player. This will be good business for us.

Post #516421  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:16 am 

Bernard wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

So why bother commenting on it? All I did was mention it was on. You’ve said before you don’t like it which is fair enough as we all have our own views. You obviously wanted a reaction from me, so I was thoughtful enough to give you one.

Why take something like this so personally for gods sake. Get a grip.

For what it’s worth I dont like it either. Very slow, I tried watching it again a few years back and had to turn off. 7 stars on IMDb say it aint a classic

Post #516422  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:24 am 

https://twitter.com/bakeoffakh/status/1 ... 43717?s=21

Partey vs Man City. Immense performance

Post #516423  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:40 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

For what it’s worth I dont like it either. Very slow, I tried watching it again a few years back and had to turn off. 7 stars on IMDb say it aint a classic

He was obviously looking for a reaction so I gave him one. There was no other reason to criticise it. All I’d done was mention afterwards the BBC2 had shown it yesterday.

I strongly disagree with your views on it but we all have different tastes. By the way, the British Film Institute once drew up a list of the top 100 British films made. The Ipcress File was 59th. So at that point they only considered 58 British films better. Think of all the British films made. It surely totals many, many thousands. I would have have thought they may therefore consider it a classic.

EDIT: By the way, IMDB give The Ipcress File 7.2. Do you know that Get Carter only gets 7.4, so 0.2 more? IMDB ratings are by people who log into their site, so literally anyone can vote. The British Film Institute ratings are by people involved in the film industry.

Post #516424  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:43 am 

Decaf wrote:
I would put 'Get Carter', and in particular, Michael Caine's performance, very near the top of my list of vivid and memorable films...
Yes, it is one of his best performances. Excellent too in Alfie, Educating Rita, Mona Lisa, Little Voice, Cider House Rules and Last Orders. Very effective in Bernard's favourite.

Post #516425  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:50 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
...it’s too easy to get a penalty these days
And even easier to get sent off. Ironic to me that in my time of watching the game has become much fairer on the pitch, yet the red cards have gone up out of all proportion. Great, but often severe defenders, like Storey, Harris, Jack Charlton and Hunter, would never make it today.

Post #516426  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:52 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

He was obviously looking for a reaction so I gave him one. There was no other reason to criticise it. All I’d done was mention afterwards the BBC2 had shown it yesterday.

I strongly disagree with your views on it but we all have different tastes. By the way, the British Film Institute once drew up a list of the top 100 British films made. The Ipcress File was 59th. So at that point they only considered 58 British films better. Think of all the British films made. It surely totals many, many thousands. I would have have thought they may therefore consider it a classic.

He was Just offering an opinion , warriors going to need to start dubbing the theme music from bullseye or Yakety sax over some of these posts now. It’s at that stage.

Post #516427  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:52 am 

Bernard wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

It was a bit of light banter because I know you like it. But your couldn't see that before the red mist descended and you "thoughtfully" decided to come out all guns blazing. Lighten up.

Post #516428  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:59 am 

grantyboy wrote:
It was a bit of light banter because I know you like it. But your couldn't see that before the red mist descended and you "thoughtfully" decided to come out all guns blazing. Lighten up.

I apologise for overreacting. But you obviously were looking for a reaction.

Post #516429  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:00 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
...it’s too easy to get a penalty these days
And even easier to get sent off. Ironic to me that in my time of watching the game has become much fairer on the pitch, yet the red cards have gone up out of all proportion. Great, but often severe defenders, like Storey, Harris, Jack Charlton and Hunter, would never make it today.

The problem with the sending off occurring is the inconsistency Rodri commits 6 fouls and doesn’t get booked then gets a yellow for taking his shirt off.

Gabriel 2 and then boom red. Ludicrous inconsistency

Post #516430  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:11 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
He was Just offering an opinion , warriors going to need to start dubbing the theme music from bullseye or Yakety sax over some of these posts now. It’s at that stage.

I'm still waiting for someone mentioning Michael Caine in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

Ruprecht !!

Post #516431  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:14 am 

warrior wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I'm still waiting for someone mentioning Michael Caine in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

Ruprecht !!

Jaws 4

Shark appears “oh *%^@ ! “

https://youtu.be/0KH-raFggUw

Post #516432  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:18 am 

warrior wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Ruprecht !!

Harry Brown, 2009.

Post #516433  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:45 am 

warrior wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Ruprecht !!

That had us rolling in the aisles. One of Steve Martin's best roles, alongside Trains, Planes and Automobiles.

Post #516434  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:44 pm 

Now a weird link with Alexander Isak

Not sure that’s true. Would be a major shock to sign a player like that right now.

Post #516435  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:29 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Not sure that’s true. Would be a major shock to sign a player like that right now.

Post #516436  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:36 pm 

warrior wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Thanks, Rog, if you could post a link to his Wikipedia page as well, that'd be great.

Post #516437  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:46 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
warrior wrote:

Thanks, Rog, if you could post a link to his Wikipedia page as well, that'd be great.

Reminds me a bit of a young Kanu the way he runs and dribbles.

Post #516438  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:46 pm 

I would probably pass on Isak. Would cost a fortune, is a decent goalscorer and a great dribbler with good pace, but I think he lacks too many of the qualities we need in a striker. We're looking for someone who can hold the ball up, combine with the other attackers, press hard, and I'm not sure Isak is that player.

Post #516439  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:31 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
I would probably pass on Isak. Would cost a fortune, is a decent goalscorer and a great dribbler with good pace, but I think he lacks too many of the qualities we need in a striker. We're looking for someone who can hold the ball up, combine with the other attackers, press hard, and I'm not sure Isak is that player.

I’d pass too. Doesn’t look like much of an upgrade on Pépé whose highlight reel probably looks even better.

Post #516440  Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:33 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:

[ 548398 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12908, 12909, 12910, 12911, 12912, 12913, 12914 ... 13710  Next