Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 230 guests

Post #505641  Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:43 pm 

Kola keeps getting isolated against Sarr. Complete mismatch. Scary stuff

Post #505642  Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:43 pm 

Mike Dean really does do hi utmost to give decisions against Arsenal. bookings, penalties. I still remember the nonsense making Guendouzi retake and retake a free kick and evntually booked him when he parasitically placed the ball. He's an arrogant referee who really does seem to have a problem with Arsenal.

Notice how he shook his head when var overruled him for the arsenal penalty

Post #505643  Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:45 pm 

case in point from Dean - that should be a nailed on yellow as Arsenal broke. Unbelieveable

Post #505644  Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:49 pm 

Rich wrote:
Mike Dean really does do hi utmost to give decisions against Arsenal. bookings, penalties. I still remember the nonsense making Guendouzi retake and retake a free kick and evntually booked him when he parasitically placed the ball. He's an arrogant referee who really does seem to have a problem with Arsenal.

Notice how he shook his head when var overruled him for the arsenal penalty

Declines a yellow for a cynical professional foul on Nelson with Arsenal on the break it's hard to argue against your point. Which is that he's a c.unt right?

Post #505645  Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:51 pm 

Another 2 for Dean. A bad late foul on Tierney no yellow, then a watford player just tries to take out Aubameyang as he's on a run, he didn't get him but it should still be a yellow for the attempt

Post #505646  Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:54 pm 

There is one person who is utterly convinced in the perfection of Mike Riley. And it’s....

Mike Riley

Post #505647  Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:55 pm 

Have to say Holding is doing everything he can this game to prove that he doesn't have an Arsenal future

Post #505648  Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:56 pm 

Let’s hope that next week Chelsea are equally as useless against us up front.

Post #505649  Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:56 pm 

Rich wrote:
Have to say Holding is doing everything he can this game to prove that he doesn't have an Arsenal future

Hope not. He’s been dreadful.

Post #505650  Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:57 pm 

lost count of the number of times we're defending with at least 6-7 in the box and Watford only have 3 maximum and they still create the chance. So much work to be done

Post #505651  Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:57 pm 

I'll be glad when this season is over..............

Post #505652  Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:57 pm 

...barely hanging on.

Post #505653  Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:58 pm 

Thank goodness that’s over.

Post #505654  Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:59 pm 

Welbeck could have had a hat trick.

Post #505655  Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:00 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Thank goodness that’s over.

Job done for us. Rested some players, no injuries, Aubameyang somehow and for some reason plays every minute ever, ready for the cup final

Post #505656  Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:00 pm 

I probably dislike Denney less than most Arsenal fans, but quite happy to ram his relegation down his neck today simply because of the constant reminder we have of his comments he made, and whilst they may have been partially true it broke a bit of an unwritten rule in football that you say whatever you want on the pitch but you remain respectful for your opponents off it.

See you later Troy

Post #505657  Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:02 pm 

Back to the cricket..........................

Post #505658  Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:29 pm 

Several referees with real time and slow motion angles disagree with your wrong decision? No you know best, it’s just Arsenal isn’t it...

Attachments:

Post #505659  Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:35 pm 

Missing out on Europa would be a blessing. (Not financially) something just doesn’t feel right about that final. Have a feeling chelsea might beat us this time

In the end 8th seemed about right for us this year, signs of positive change under Arteta but some dour stuff.

Post #505660  Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:17 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Missing out on Europa would be a blessing. (Not financially) something just doesn’t feel right about that final. Have a feeling chelsea might beat us this time

In the end 8th seemed about right for us this year, signs of positive change under Arteta but some dour stuff.

Do you think? The feel good of winning a final, the financial boost, the players that competing in Europe could attract, more european experience for our younger players, and another shot at champions league. I think there’s a lot of upside that outweighs the negative of the schedule. Especially for us atm.

Post #505661  Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:23 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Know exactly what you mean. Financially we need Europe but this squad is just so wrong at the moment. Would be intrigued to see how Saliba and Mari could play together at the back. Key for me though is some creativity in midfield. When Wenger let the defence stagnate for too long we still would get CL as we had goals everywhere in front of the back four. Now we only really have Aubameyang and the occasional flourish from Lacazette. We need more form our wide men and more goals from behind them.

I can see a repeat of Baku next week if we play the same way as we have this last week.

Also, I wouldn’t mind that Sarr from Watford. Also, unpopular opinion but I don’t mind Troy Deeney as a bloke. He spoke very well post match and having listened recently to a Louis Theroux podcast where he was the guest, he has had a tough upbringing, spent time inside and has made the very best of himself since being released.

Post #505662  Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:17 pm 

According to Foot Mercato, Barcelona have proposed two transfers to Arsenal. Either Vidal and Rakitić for Matteo Guendouzi, or €50m (£45m) and Guendouzi, for Coutinho.

I would jump at either and although the idea of signing more over 30s doesn’t appeal usually having a couple of seasons with Rakitic and Vidal in the middle running things is attractive

Post #505663  Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:25 pm 

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Know exactly what you mean. Financially we need Europe but this squad is just so wrong at the moment. Would be intrigued to see how Saliba and Mari could play together at the back. Key for me though is some creativity in midfield. When Wenger let the defence stagnate for too long we still would get CL as we had goals everywhere in front of the back four. Now we only really have Aubameyang and the occasional flourish from Lacazette. We need more form our wide men and more goals from behind them.

I can see a repeat of Baku next week if we play the same way as we have this last week.

Also, I wouldn’t mind that Sarr from Watford. Also, unpopular opinion but I don’t mind Troy Deeney as a bloke. He spoke very well post match and having listened recently to a Louis Theroux podcast where he was the guest, he has had a tough upbringing, spent time inside and has made the very best of himself since being released.

Just want us to focus on the league, screw the cups anymore. We have to get back in the champions league

Yes next week does feel a bit like Baku. My goodness it would be amazing if we won and Arteta won a cup in his first season, something just seems to tell me we are going to stumble, hope I'm wrong.

Post #505664  Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:50 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
According to Foot Mercato, Barcelona have proposed two transfers to Arsenal. Either Vidal and Rakitić for Matteo Guendouzi, or €50m (£45m) and Guendouzi, for Coutinho.

I would jump at either and although the idea of signing more over 30s doesn’t appeal usually having a couple of seasons with Rakitic and Vidal in the middle running things is attractive

No to both for me.
Don’t want any more expensive older players where the motivation is probably more for the money than anything else.
£50m plus Guendouzi for Coutinho is crazy....all these clubs who spend too much on a flop and then value that player based on the mistake price they paid rather than true value.
Vidal and Rakitic would make us better next year but what happens in the long term and how on earth do we afford those wages! And they are 32 and 33. This would be the last big contract, are we going to give them 3 year deals on £200k a week each?! Barmy to go for that
If Barca really want Guendouzi tell them they can pay the cash price or they can trade some of the talented young players they have

Post #505665  Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:53 pm 

Feels like the only way we can win the cup is a very low scoring game, conceding possession and attacking on the break.

Holding worries me from his recent performances but I think he’s better in a deeper backs to the wall performance where he just concentrated on heading and clearing everything.

I think Tierney has to go in the back 3, which means Saka or amn can play left wing back. Hopefully Bellerin overcomes his knock. The rest of the team picks itself from the semi final

Post #505666  Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:58 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

No to both for me.
Don’t want any more expensive older players where the motivation is probably more for the money than anything else.
£50m plus Guendouzi for Coutinho is crazy....all these clubs who spend too much on a flop and then value that player based on the mistake price they paid rather than true value.
Vidal and Rakitic would make us better next year but what happens in the long term and how on earth do we afford those wages! And they are 32 and 33. This would be the last big contract, are we going to give them 3 year deals on £200k a week each?! Barmy to go for that
If Barca really want Guendouzi tell them they can pay the cash price or they can trade some of the talented young players they have

I agree Rich.

The last thing I want to see us do is turn into a retirement home for ageing has-beens or a parking place for misfits and other clubs mistakes.

We need to look at players in their late teens/early 20s with the potential and the hunger to do great things. Whether we can persuade those types to join us is another thing.

Post #505667  Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:08 pm 

Our defence is obviously shite, not one accomplished CB at the club.

However, I read that in terms of chances created we are 16th in the PL. That suggests that creativity is at least as big an issue and also how on earth does Aubameyang score so many goals when he's feeding on crumbs.

Post #505668  Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:08 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:
No to both for me.

I agree Rich.

The last thing I want to see us do is turn into a retirement home for ageing has-beens or a parking place for misfits and other clubs mistakes.

We need to look at players in their late teens/early 20s with the potential and the hunger to do great things. Whether we can persuade those types to join us is another thing.

Luiz, Sokratis, Özil - we are already there.

Post #505669  Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:33 pm 

socrates wrote:

However, I read that in terms of chances created we are 16th in the PL. That suggests that creativity is at least as big an issue and also how on earth does Aubameyang score so many goals when he's feeding on crumbs.

Hi Soc.
I think if you took a random set of fans views, even non arsenal they would all come up with different areas of the team that are the most important to address.
Apart from GK you can easily make a case for the most important part of the team to improve being:
Central defence
Defensive midfield
Creative midfield
And even strikers who can take the pressure off Aubameyang

Post #505670  Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:47 pm 

I’ve got no problem with the award of Watford’s penalty. My problem is that those are never given. How often do you see a striker get off a clean shot at goal that gets saved, goes wide or over and instantly after he shots he gets cleaned out by a desperate lunge by a defender....and how often are those given as penalties?! Basically never.

Post #505671  Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:18 pm 

I think its our worst finish since I've been watching Arsenal. But it must be said I caught us at a good time. On our way to 3-0, we looked pretty good. And we got progressively worse after that. The game could easily have been a draw or even a Watford win if the golden chances have gone in.

We played decent team defense early on that went by the wayside as the game continued. Why are we looking at aging attackers? Coutinho I like a lot but we need central defenders. No one we have should be any more than a back up. There is no central defender on our side presently we can go into the season and confidently say, this player can be a foundation for top 4 ambitions. None. They can all have decent games even string together a few but its laughable to think any side who is top 4 quality would rely on what we have.

No amount of team defense no matter how organized is going to change that.

Post #505672  Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:39 am 

Rich wrote:
Nketiah and Aubameyang 2 v 1, Nketiah inexplicably makes the chance worse by passing to Aubameyang. Shocking decision

Helping Aubameyang get to the golden boot

Post #505673  Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:19 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Rich wrote:
Nketiah and Aubameyang 2 v 1, Nketiah inexplicably makes the chance worse by passing to Aubameyang. Shocking decision

Helping Aubameyang get to the golden boot

I’m all for passing to a team mate in a better position to score, but that was ridiculous as it made the chance harder. At 3-2 up Aubameyang’s golden boot shouldn’t be in anyone’s thoughts. Win the game first

Post #505674  Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:23 am 

City have started spending already, expected to complete the 40 million euro signing of 20 year old Valencia winger Ferran Torres. Obviously City will find some way around the rules and their accounts will show they haven’t been affected by the lost season ticket money and having to return a big chunk of broadcasters fee

Post #505675  Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:08 am 

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi Soc.
I think if you took a random set of fans views, even non arsenal they would all come up with different areas of the team that are the most important to address.
Apart from GK you can easily make a case for the most important part of the team to improve being:
Central defence
Defensive midfield
Creative midfield

Hi Rich,

Almost every area of our team needs improvement.

I feel this is a pivotal summer of recruitment because with United and Chelsea making top four the spending power amongst those four clubs will make it incredibly difficult to bridge the gap.

Chelsea appear to be dining at the top table again transfer-wise. Werner, Ziyech and potentially Kai Havertz as well. If they get a new keeper and CB then they look capable of moving to the next level.

United will always have huge spending power. If they get it right this summer they too could move up a level.

Clearly spending big is no guarantee of success, as we've seen with United in recent seasons and even with our own Pépé deal. The most astute deals do not always cost the most money. I just hope that we are putting in place a worldclass scouting network because relying on Raul's contact book of superagents is not the way to go in my opinion.

Post #505676  Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:41 am 

Read this from a journalist on twitter this morning
"Mason Mount. 51 appearances, at least three different positions, seven PL goals and five PL assists. All in a breakthrough season and aged just 21. That's pretty amazing. That's why I'd make him my Chelsea Player of the Year."

And yet Pépé with 5 prem goals and 6 assists is the flop of the season according to many pundits including Jenas

Post #505677  Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:47 am 

socrates wrote:
Chelsea appear to be dining at the top table again transfer-wise. Werner, Ziyech and potentially Kai Havertz as well. If they get a new keeper and CB then they look capable of moving to the next level.

United will always have huge spending power. If they get it right this summer they too could move up a level.

Clearly spending big is no guarantee of success, as we've seen with United in recent seasons and even with our own Pépé deal. The most astute deals do not always cost the most money. I just hope that we are putting in place a worldclass scouting network because relying on Raul's contact book of superagents is not the way to go in my opinion.

We're going to be left a long way behind these clubs. The thing is with a Man U is they may make mistakes in the market, and big mistakes at that, but they rarely have to live with the consequences beyond that season. If they buy a £50m flop they just go and buy another, and another until one works. It would be like us spending £50m on a right winger this summer because Pépé hasn't been as good as we wanted.
Now more than ever we have to get every transfer decision spot on, in and out.
It is a lot easier to go and throw £200m at Mbappe than find the next Mbappe for £2m, the chances of getting it right are so small - but we have to get it right every time for virtually zero net spend if we are to get back in that top 4 because at the moment we're miles off

Post #505678  Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:48 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:
Hi Soc.
Central defence
Defensive midfield
Creative midfield

Hi Rich,

Almost every area of our team needs improvement.

I feel this is a pivotal summer of recruitment because with United and Chelsea making top four the spending power amongst those four clubs will make it incredibly difficult to bridge the gap.

The Mirror are reporting that Arteta’s been told the transfer budget is £30m. I would hope that’s a net figure, but regardless of that if anyone thinks we’re going to see loads of the positions improved that they feel require strengthening, try overdosing on the new ‘enhance your realism’ tablets that have just come out.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... id=2184360

Post #505679  Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:00 am 

Bernard wrote:
The Mirror are reporting that Arteta’s been told the transfer budget is £30m.

And over at City, he would have been used to that sort of budget spent just on catering.

Post #505680  Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:10 am 

Rich wrote:
It is a lot easier to go and throw £200m at Mbappe than find the next Mbappe for £2m, the chances of getting it right are so small - but we have to get it right every time for virtually zero net spend if we are to get back in that top 4 because at the moment we're miles off

I think that sums things up Rich. As people who read my posts will know, that’s why I think the ownership is a far more important debate than which players are bought and sold. I still recall Stan saying words to the effect that he didn’t buy Arsenal to win trophies around the time he took over following Fiszman’s death. For me that says much more about the ownership philosophy of the Kroenke regime than Josh coming out with more optimistic, politically correct advice to Arsenal fans that we should feel excited.

[ 563336 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12639, 12640, 12641, 12642, 12643, 12644, 12645 ... 14084  Next