Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], gooner7, warrior and 275 guests

Post #474001  Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:40 am 

Man City to test Arsenal's resolve with £60m Alexis Sanchez bid

http://www.espnfc.com.au/blog/transfer-talk/79/post/3179994/live-manchester-city-to-test-arsenal-resolve-with-60-million-alexis-sanchez-bid

Post #474002  Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:41 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Haha, any of those 4 going will not weaken us too much. Was thinking of Alexis and Ox, but I think you knew that anyhow :icon_mrgreen:

Yes I did unfortunately. Be careful what you say. The forum has ears. Hoy will be on forcing some ZZZ's on you for being anti-Wenger.
Those Zzzzs are awarded for being boring and trotting out the same old stuff ad nauseam. An original anti-Wenger post would be refreshing, if somewhat surprising.

Post #474003  Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:48 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Haha, any of those 4 going will not weaken us too much. Was thinking of Alexis and Ox, but I think you knew that anyhow :icon_mrgreen:

Yes I did unfortunately. Be careful what you say. The forum has ears. Hoy will be on forcing some ZZZ's on you for being anti-Wenger.

Z is the last letter in the Alphabet, that's all I know about the letter Z. A series of Zs means somebody got to the end, and forgot to lift his finger.

Post #474004  Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:00 am 

Hazuki wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Getting a work permit might be problematic .

Yes, but as long as he’s tall it’s worth a shot. As they say ‘talent wins games, defense wins championships, tallness just wins’.

Haven't you got any hardarse Swedes that could fit the bill ; say Ljunberg plus 5 inches .

Here we go ..... Albin Ekdahl ... 6"1" looks a cool dude ....sign him up .

Post #474005  Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:03 am 

warrior wrote:

Grab it .... he's given us good service and that's a 32 million dollar profit . Stan might overule Arsene on this one .

Post #474006  Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:33 am 

AshleyGeorge wrote:
1. Maureen's second season (apparently that's a thing) although his second at Chelsea got him fired no??

Mourinho did actually win the league in the second season of his second spell at Chelsea. He was reappointed at Chelsea in June 2013, making 2013/14 the first season back there when he didn't win it. 2014/15 was the second season of his second spell, and Chelsea did with the title. It was during the next season, his third back there, when he was sacked.

Post #474007  Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:41 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Those Zzzzs are awarded for being boring and trotting out the same old stuff ad nauseam. An original anti-Wenger post would be refreshing, if somewhat surprising.

His most prized possession is a Boots Advantage Card.

He drives in the middle lane.

He has never watched Heimat.

Bloke's a *%^@.

Post #474008  Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:20 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
warrior wrote:

Grab it .... he's given us good service and that's a 32 million dollar profit . Stan might overule Arsene on this one .

Yep - Agreed - But what a bummer it would be if at seasons end City wins the thing and we come in second place !

Post #474009  Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:37 pm 

I don't think we should sell our best player to a direct rival. We have been doing it and we need to establish that it will not happen ever again. Make it club policy. You come to The Arsenal you will not be sold to a direct league rival. Under any circumstances. So, its known coming in.

Post #474010  Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:38 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I don't think we should sell our best player to a direct rival. We have been doing it and we need to establish that it will not happen ever again. Make it club policy. You come to The Arsenal you will not be sold to a direct league rival. Under any circumstances. So, its known coming in.

No *%^@.

"Reducing the number of revolutions per minute," Mr. Foster explained. "The surrogate goes round slower; therefore passes through the lung at longer intervals; therefore gives the embryo less oxygen. Nothing like oxygen-shortage for keeping an embryo below par." Again he rubbed his hands.

Post #474011  Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:50 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

I take it from your comments that you don't want us to buy any more players whatever their nationality. Either that or you live in cloud cuckoo land.

Post #474012  Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:31 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

you really are such a *%^@*** dullard...

Post #474013  Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:46 pm 

Enough baiting AG it's boring. Watching Hoffenheim v Liverpool. Doesnt Gnabry play for them ?

Post #474014  Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:58 pm 

He does and he wins a penalty. Hoffenheim miss it...... .

Post #474015  Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:23 pm 

Liverpool kid scores a beaut of a free kick 1-0

Post #474016  Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:24 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Instead you can sit out your contract and join our rivals for free being able to command huge wages and Huge signing on fee.

I'm completely torn between whether we should sell or make the players see out their final year. If the money is big enough and the player has declared he WILL leave on a free in 12 months then we have to sell.

It will be another step backwards, but it will only be delaying the step backwards we would take in 12 months but we'd have £80m in our pockets

Post #474017  Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:37 pm 

Decaf wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

No *%^@.

"Reducing the number of revolutions per minute," Mr. Foster explained. "The surrogate goes round slower; therefore passes through the lung at longer intervals; therefore gives the embryo less oxygen. Nothing like oxygen-shortage for keeping an embryo below par." Again he rubbed his hands.

O Brave new world that has such people in it!

Post #474018  Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:40 pm 

Bernard wrote:
AshleyGeorge wrote:
1. Maureen's second season (apparently that's a thing) although his second at Chelsea got him fired no??

Mourinho did actually win the league in the second season of his second spell at Chelsea. He was reappointed at Chelsea in June 2013, making 2013/14 the first season back there when he didn't win it. 2014/15 was the second season of his second spell, and Chelsea did with the title. It was during the next season, his third back there, when he was sacked.

Ah thanks Bernard, so his third season he cocks it all up and loses the respect and trust of all his players. Good stuff. :laughing7:

Post #474019  Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:36 pm 

I'm very much with Haz when it comes to Man U. They were second favourites this time last year and finished 6th. Lukaku is not as good as Zlatan but Matic improves their midfield. This Mourinho second season stuff is a bit like Tottenham and the year ending in 1.

Anyone of the top 6 could win it. City are.clear favourites for me, but Arsenal with no CL are in with a shot.

Post #474020  Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:47 pm 

dec wrote:
I'm very much with Haz when it comes to Man U.

Thanks! Although I've probably jinxed them into another treble by now.

Post #474021  Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:42 pm 

Rich wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Deeper as in more players? They’ve failed to reach top four three of the last four seasons, so maybe some of their players just aren’t as good as their reputation anymore. They’ve got a few class players, but overall it’s an unbalanced and overrated squad until they prove otherwise.

Man U have depth in terms of their second 11 being very close in quality to their first 11. Particularly when compared with the strength of spurs, Chelsea and liverpools 2nd 11 in comparison to their 1st 11.

Man U had Romero, Shaw, smalling, lindelof, Herrera, fellaini, martial, lingard, rojo, young, Carrick, darmian not in their starting 11 at the weekend

Teams like the 3 mentioned above are dipping in to the academy long before Man U. I think they will be right up there this season. But, I think the title will once again be won by the team who can get that consistent best 11 on the pitch for the most games. Last 3 years title winners have had no injuries

That's essentially the point I was making. The best 2nd 11 in the division by a mile. If Cazorla was fit and we could bring in another defender and wideman of promise I'd have ours as close.

Post #474022  Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:43 pm 

Mystic TG here.

Grab hold of your nips and your nuts folks as I think United could possibly win it this year. Maureen seems to be adding the right qualities and now they have some firepower. If not them its city.

Despite not signing many new players I can still see Spurs finishing above us.

..... and the key question for all Arsenal fans is when will the "Wenger out" shenanigans resume ? I'd say around December and January again as usual. I'm still not convinced we have the right type of players for the formation we are using long term and when we get hit by a few injuries in the wrong places (full back, centre half) things could become difficult to manage for le profmyarseur

Post #474023  Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:45 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
socrates wrote:
I understand your point but in Mourinho they've got one of the most successful managers in the history of the game (albeit he spends a shedload of money to achieve that success) and he tends to get things right eventually.

On the flipside, most of his achievments have come in circumstances where there aren’t much competition – his first titles with Chelsea were back when nobody could even come close to their spending (and to be fair, Ranieri built big parts of that team), his title wins with Inter was when Juventus and Milan were still struggling after calciopoli, and then there’s Real Madrid where you’re never really the underdog. The CL win with Porto and the title win with Chelsea in his second stint is really the exception to this. He’s never had more work to do to win something, and this time he can’t just outspend everyone.

Except if you take the last year and a bit, he's done exactly that. He's spent even more than Pep (whose own spending has been obscene).

Post #474024  Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:59 pm 

So I expect a quiet game against Stoke. No bad tackles, no dives and no one fouling needlessly.

I suggest Wenger go to the press with this story and tell the referee and the FA that the referee had better perform and call a foul a foul and book players where appropriate. Get it out there so they are under immense pressure.

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/geoff-ca ... story.html

Post #474025  Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:26 am 

warrior wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Yep - Agreed - But what a bummer it would be if at seasons end City wins the thing and we come in second place !

Lots of bummers in life Warrior .... what would be the bummer is Sanchez stays and doesn't perform .... 60 million now versus zilch next year goes a long way to buying a replacement .

Post #474026  Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:42 am 

Man Utd have to be considered among the 2 or 3 favorites to win the title. Would really love to see Mourinho implode another team again and especially Man Utd. The current situation with so many teams will force him (and others) to raise their game. The league has a number of good, proven managers. The one I am surprised at for not achieving is Klopp. He's used to situations where he's massively outspent by a rival.
It won't surprise many people if Mourinho does well.

Post #474027  Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:51 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Allow me. zzzzz.... :25sleep:

Arsenal aren't seen as title favourites cos they (and Wenger) haven't won it in donkeys and have a very repetitive habit of not having the bottle to compete for a whole season. And there's no point in nauseating over the other well documented problems that go unresolved year after year.

Man Utd, while not having been at the races for the last few years, won the Europa League last year. They've built what would appear to be a pretty good first team and have a manager who most would view as being more successful than Wenger and therefore, more likely to do it again.

Post #474028  Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:17 am 

The FA cup semis and finals and the second win over Chelsea in a matter of only a few months in a match that matters, tells me we are capable of top 3. Especially that we have improved at the striker position. Lacazette will only get better in the league as he gets more minutes. We still have Sanchez and until that changes, top 3 looks promising.
Smart money would bet on Man Utd being in the mix. No guarantees obviously and its sort of a 'make or break' season for Mourinho. Big money spent, a season under his belt. His reputation is on the line. It will be interesting to see how he responds on the pitch.
Pep and Klopp are the ones who I am surprised to see they have under performed.

Post #474029  Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:14 am 

lomekian wrote:
That's essentially the point I was making. The best 2nd 11 in the division by a mile.

Disagree with that as well. Citys is better, and so is ours. We have players in our second string eleven that would start for Man United (Monreal/Kolasinac, and Bellerin/Ox, and an argument could be made for Welbeck as well ironically).

Post #474030  Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:50 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
The FA cup semis and finals and the second win over Chelsea in a matter of only a few months in a match that matters, tells me we are capable of top 3. Especially that we have improved at the striker position. Lacazette will only get better in the league as he gets more minutes. We still have Sanchez and until that changes, top 3 looks promising.
Smart money would bet on Man Utd being in the mix. No guarantees obviously and its sort of a 'make or break' season for Mourinho. Big money spent, a season under his belt. His reputation is on the line. It will be interesting to see how he responds on the pitch.

I think Top 3 or 4 sounds about right.

Performances in the domestic one-offs against major rivals has probably been where Arsenal have improved. But it's the consistency to sustain a go at the League and CL that's been lacking.

All the top 6 are in either CL or Europa League so I don't see a huge advantage not being in the CL unless Arsene sends the 2nd team off for the EL.

I think City would be favourites, followed by Chelsea, Man Utd, then Arsenal. Totts / Liverpool / Everton too hard to say.

Post #474031  Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:45 am 

grantyboy wrote:
All the top 6 are in either CL or Europa League so I don't see a huge advantage not being in the CL unless Arsene sends the 2nd team off for the EL.

I agree with that. Not on the forum, but someone actually said we're not playing in Europe this season. We have, or should have, a more than decent chance of winning the Europa League and if our Premiership campaign falters, and it might, I think we have to take it seriously because it could get us into next season's Champions League.

Post #474032  Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:55 am 

https://twitter.com/glenntamplin/status ... 0464354304

bet no one can get all the way through this...

Post #474033  Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:59 am 

Bernard wrote:
We have, or should have, a more than decent chance of winning the Europa League and if our Premiership campaign falters, and it might, I think we have to take it seriously because it could get us into next season's Champions League.

It’s a bit of a dilemma because it’s a title we should be the favourite to win (we’re clearly the strongest team in it), but at the same time it’s tempting to rest our best players. I think it’s clear that mid-week games in Europe affect league performances on the weekend, so that could be a big advantage for us compared to our rivals. Hopefully we’ll get an easy group, we should be able to beat most of the teams without our best players.

Post #474034  Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:07 am 

Australians tell it like it is, we all know that right. Here's a 1990s AIDS awareness VHS...

Attachments:
Unknown.jpg
Unknown.jpg [ 8.93 KB | Viewed 2855 times ]

Post #474035  Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:19 am 

grantyboy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

I think Top 3 or 4 sounds about right.

Performances in the domestic one-offs against major rivals has probably been where Arsenal have improved. But it's the consistency to sustain a go at the League and CL that's been lacking.

I think City would be favourites, followed by Chelsea, Man Utd, then Arsenal. Totts / Liverpool / Everton too hard to say.

Tottenham are a conundrum. No money spent, playing away from WHL but still have the same quality side minus a starter that has seen them do very well the last couple seasons. Is it sustainable with everyone else spending? I'd 'looove it' if they sputtered. But its so hard to tell. Injuries could be their downfall this season if that happens.

I have to see much, much more out of Liverpool to consider them anything better than 5th. They benefited from us and Man Utd having very off seasons.

How we do away from home against the big rivals is key. Can we get draws? I am not counting on a win but its not impossible to nick a win at any of them if we show up.

As you say, consistency...we simply don't have it over the course of the season. Keep the losses to 5 or under and goals against hovering around 30ish ought to do it. Do we have it in us?

Post #474036  Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:27 am 

Kiwi, They have changed the trophy for the Bledisloe Cup. The winner gets to take Barnaby Joyce home.

Post #474037  Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:46 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Bernard wrote:
We have, or should have, a more than decent chance of winning the Europa League and if our Premiership campaign falters, and it might, I think we have to take it seriously because it could get us into next season's Champions League.

It’s a bit of a dilemma because it’s a title we should be the favourite to win (we’re clearly the strongest team in it), but at the same time it’s tempting to rest our best players. I think it’s clear that mid-week games in Europe affect league performances on the weekend, so that could be a big advantage for us compared to our rivals. Hopefully we’ll get an easy group, we should be able to beat most of the teams without our best players.

As you imply, a nice easy draw should enable us to get through the group as winners even if we rest our better players. I think the further we get in it, the more Arsenal need to consider putting sides out that give us the best chance of winning the competition.

Getting ahead of myself, but the final is in Lyon. Familiar territory for Lacazette.

Post #474038  Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:01 pm 

Didn't realize there is a big London derby this weekend already. Early test for both. No matter the result it will be to early to garner anything more from it. It will be interesting to see how Tottenham and Chelsea play each other. I'm going to guess a draw. Not much between the sides, even with Tottenham not spending. If no major mistakes are made, a draw is likely in order.

Post #474039  Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:17 pm 

Keep an eye on Milan in the europa league. They have spent huge amounts of cash this season, it will be interesting to see how they go.

I'd agree with using the europa early rounds to rest 1 or 2 players but equally we could do that in some of the 'easier' prem games. We're effectively resting Sanchez, kos, mustafi and others at the moment

Post #474040  Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:27 pm 

High praise indeed from someone of the quality of Shearer. Not unexpected though. The Sol comment was the surprising thing.

http://www.squawka.com/news/alan-sheare ... PSc2ze1.97

Speaking on Match of the Day, Shearer said: “I didn’t mind playing against Sol Campbell, I felt as if I could drag Sol where I wanted to.

“The best defender I’ve played against and I always say when people ask me was Tony Adams. He would be one that I would definitely put in there.

“His job was to defend and he was the best defender I’ve played against. The best defenders are the ones that defend.”

[ 572055 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11848, 11849, 11850, 11851, 11852, 11853, 11854 ... 14302  Next