Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:59 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: bubblechris, warrior and 414 guests

Post #472761  Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:41 pm 

Giroud is guilty of not being RvP. If we are really honest about his time with us. I think he has performed well and at times above what his skill set and background suggested. He was a Wenger gamble that shouldn't have been a gamble considering who he was replacing. Lots of fans blaming Giroud for not doing what he never claimed to be: a forward with pace and a high level of skill. If he goes, I think (or maybe hope) he will be remembered well.
http://www.redlondon.net/archives/49160

Post #472762  Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:00 pm 

Bernard wrote:
dec wrote:
In fairness, that's a bit extreme. Walker is a good defender. Like almost all English internationals he is over-rated by the media but I doubt many Tottenham fans were pushing for him to leave last season. £50m is crazy money though.

Yes it seemed a bit extreme. But to be fair, he sees every game Walker plays. I don't, and unless you watch every Tottenham match you won't either. So he's probably basing his judgment on a bit more than us.

It's an in-built defence mechanism hat all spuds fans have when a player asks to leave; the old "he's not that good, they are welcome to him" routine.
He was one of their best players last season, and only gt left out of the team due to injury giving Trippier the opportunity to shine.
Spuds didn't want to sell at any price, but walker forced this to happen

Post #472763  Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:39 pm 

HoddGooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Yes it seemed a bit extreme. But to be fair, he sees every game Walker plays. I don't, and unless you watch every Tottenham match you won't either. So he's probably basing his judgment on a bit more than us.

It's an in-built defence mechanism hat all spuds fans have when a player asks to leave; the old "he's not that good, they are welcome to him" routine.
He was one of their best players last season, and only gt left out of the team due to injury giving Trippier the opportunity to shine.

I know a few fans who rate Trippier higher, I would only agree on crossing, but in all other departments Walker is the better player. However, £50m is still extreme, Walker is a tremendous athlete, the side and style Poch has built has suited his game down to the ground - as it has many spurs players - the system is based on a lot of athletic and physical attributes. It will be interesting to see how Walker fits in with Pep's system which seems to ask far more technical and positional brilliance from all players

Post #472764  Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:44 pm 

So what constitutes a successful summer for Arsenal? Also what would constitute a side that we believe can challenge for the title?

Is it successful if no resolution is reached over Sanchez meaning he plays for us next season but can leave for free in 12 months?

Two good additions so far, I think we have to add some creative quality in a central midfield position, we cannot fall in to the ridiculous trap yet again of counting on an injured player as part of the squad - we must plan for having zero contribution from Cazorla next season and not forget how we struggled without him in so many games.

Post #472765  Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:19 pm 

Have the last 10 or so matches meant we can now play well, even great without Carzola on a consistent basis? We need to either buy a player to replace him or organize the midfield with the players we have to be as effective.

Post #472766  Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:33 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
grantyboy wrote:
Lol. I thought I'd be the first by making a tongue in cheek comment that Arsenal always seem to be able to make normally average goalkeepers look world class.
Good effort Granty, but you are up against some serious opposition when it comes to winning the Arsenal Half-Full Cup. You'll have to work harder in pre-season to better Soc and Gaz from Oz. Those boys love that trophy and will not surrender it easily.

Thanks kiwi. I knew I was in the zone. Haz came straight in. I think after tonight's match I will call for Wenger head so keep an eye out. I think a small attack on our new FB will draw a few in as well. Granty will one day be old and be ready for the challenge.

The good thing is that hoy must agree with my comments as he did not come out all defensive.

Post #472767  Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:46 pm 

dec wrote:
John wrote:
Certainly is. For me it's mainly the tax thing but the preaching grates too, no matter how well intended. And their music certainly isn't all that, some of their early stuff was good I think but that's about that for me.

Hi John

I think that article is very inaccurate. U2 are not disliked to any great degree at all. Now Bono is an absolute bellend so most people don't like him, understandably. The others are generally well thought of. I don't listen to their stuff anymore. I find it stale and more or less everything they have released since Zooropa does nothing for me. They are still hugely popular but pretty irrelevant at the same time.

Maybe but when you think of U2 you think of him. And I don't like 'the edge' either. What a stupid *%^@** name that is and I hate his smug grin too. The other two don't bother me, which I'm sure will come as a relief to them.

Post #472768  Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:59 pm 

U2 made 3 or 4 stunningly good albums, played Live Aid, and got a bit superstar wanky and started wearing sunglasses indoors. That's where it always goes wrong for bands. Outside...fair enough. Inside...not unless you're Ray Chales. The Red Rocks thing was probably the last I found interesting. But those first few albums are still brilliant for me.

So Hodd, Willockwatch. When this started I never realised it was a lifetime job! Joking apart I think I remember you saying that all the brothers were decent but one in particular was a gem and I think it was this one. Is that right? btw glad you're back and seemingly settled where you want to be. You also seem happy to be back which I can only imagine is a positive thing for the youth set-up as there may have been times in the past where reading between the lines I thought maybe you didn't seem 100% convinced it was being run quite as well as it could have been. (and breathe)

Watched the game the other day. Doesn't really matter as all about getting the players fit as needed but I liked how the players all seemed to know where they were in terms of the formation. I also liked the way the front 3 were swapping between being 1-2 and 2-1 so easily.

So Jack is staying and being told to fight for a place it seems. No secret I love the player and even his worst critic wouldn't deny the boy is a fighter. He'll have to start from the bench but a team with Jack on the bench raring to go has got the perfect player to come on with 20/30 to go. Push it forward, shut it down, niggle the hell out of it, play that winning pass - he can do them all. Staying fit is the dream - I hope he does.

Post #472769  Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:03 am 

Charles Gard.

There's been so much written about this and so many different opinions about it that often had a lean behind them. I'm not sure how to link it because it's a pdf and my laptop just downloads them when I go to them but search 'GOSH Position Statement'. If you have an opinion on this, completely regardless of which way, I really think you should read this submission.

Post #472770  Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:11 am 

Love this...Jah Wobble - Latin Dub. It's a 'late evening at home when you are pretty certain you'll just go out again' kind of feel. I'm staying in though.

https://jahwobble.bandcamp.com/track/latin-dub

(Bernard - stick him on the spreadsheet as from the wrong end of the road)

Post #472771  Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:14 am 

And finally for everyone who thinks social media is crap...you'd not get gems like this without it:

"Man City have spent the GDP of England in 1635 on Kyle Walker"

(by @oilysailor on twitter)

Post #472772  Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:31 am 

Exiled wrote:
So Jack is staying and being told to fight for a place it seems. No secret I love the player and even his worst critic wouldn't deny the boy is a fighter. He'll have to start from the bench but a team with Jack on the bench raring to go has got the perfect player to come on with 20/30 to go. Push it forward, shut it down, niggle the hell out of it, play that winning pass - he can do them all. Staying fit is the dream - I hope he does.

Hate to steal Gaz job as the forum wet blanket, but I've given up on Jack. Just didn't look impressive at all last season, and at some point you just have to figure all the injuries have taken a toll. Doesn't look like the same player anymore.

Hope I'm wrong obviously, but I think a move abroad might be the best thing for him at this point.

Post #472773  Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:49 am 

Any links for the game?

Post #472774  Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:40 am 

socrates wrote:
Any links for the game?

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/ ... ive-stream

Post #472775  Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:33 pm 

Any truth to this 'Giroud dislikes Lacazette story that's been going around?

Post #472776  Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:16 pm 

To only win by 2 goals is pretty dire. :20hospitals:

Post #472777  Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:20 pm 

Exiled wrote:
U2 made 3 or 4 stunningly good albums, played Live Aid, and got a bit superstar wanky and started wearing sunglasses indoors. That's where it always goes wrong for bands. Outside...fair enough. Inside...not unless you're Ray Chales. The Red Rocks thing was probably the last I found interesting. But those first few albums are still brilliant for me.

So Hodd, Willockwatch. When this started I never realised it was a lifetime job! Joking apart I think I remember you saying that all the brothers were decent but one in particular was a gem and I think it was this one. Is that right? btw glad you're back and seemingly settled where you want to be. You also seem happy to be back which I can only imagine is a positive thing for the youth set-up as there may have been times in the past where reading between the lines I thought maybe you didn't seem 100% convinced it was being run quite as well as it could have been. (and breathe)

Watched the game the other day. Doesn't really matter as all about getting the players fit as needed but I liked how the players all seemed to know where they were in terms of the formation. I also liked the way the front 3 were swapping between being 1-2 and 2-1 so easily.

If it's Jack Wilshere youre talking about then would love to see it game after game.

Post #472778  Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:20 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
To only win by 2 goals is pretty dire. :20hospitals:

Sucks, doesn't it?

Post #472779  Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:14 pm 

Arsene Wenger believes Alexis Sanchez will remain at Arsenal beyond the summer and is confident the Chile star will sign a new contract.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/10950022/arsene-wenger-sure-of-alexis-sanchez-stay-at-arsenal-after-positive-talks

I didn't realise he was even thinking of leaving.

When did this all come about ?

Post #472780  Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:21 pm 

warrior wrote:
Arsene Wenger believes Alexis Sanchez will remain at Arsenal beyond the summer and is confident the Chile star will sign a new contract.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/10950022/arsene-wenger-sure-of-alexis-sanchez-stay-at-arsenal-after-positive-talks

I didn't realise he was even thinking of leaving.

When did this all come about ?

Possibly when he realised that noone was willing or stupid enough to give him £400000 a week. Silly thing is he's screwed up his last big payday. Will anyone want to buy him next season even if he scores 30+ goals. If he has an iota of sense he'll sign a contract and give next season his best and maybe he'll and secure a better contract.

Post #472781  Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:19 pm 

64th anniversary of the execution of a very famous serial murderer today. John Christie of 10 Rillington Place fame was hanged at Pentonville Prison by Albert Pierrepoint on 15th July 1953.

Post #472782  Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:24 pm 

Bernard wrote:
64th anniversary of the execution of a very famous serial murderer today. John Christie of 10 Rillington Place fame was hanged at Pentonville Prison by Albert Pierrepoint on 15th July 1953.

which only ONE person in the world would have noted .... the guy who nearly lost his virginity at Bryantwood Road .

What a ghoul .... it's all very well to take an interest in such things ...... but to announce it to the rest of the world :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

Post #472783  Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:52 pm 

Wife watching her normal six hours of taped Wimbledon ... making my breakfast I think "Hmmm I haven't watched any tennis this year " take my bacon and egg toastie and coffee into the lounge .

This looks good Cilic versus Querry ... watched the first point Cilic serving .... bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce X by 15 ........ ace

Next serve he gets two balls inspects them both ... bats one dismissively behind him , calls for another ... inspection ...doesn't like that one either ... bats it behind .... calls for another .

Eeeeeeek :blob8: :blob8: that's enough for me . Fifty seconds later I'm eating the grub trying to do yesterday's Sudoku .

Post #472784  Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:10 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Wife watching her normal six hours of taped Wimbledon ... making my breakfast I think "Hmmm I haven't watched any tennis this year " take my bacon and egg toastie and coffee into the lounge .

This looks good Cilic versus Querry ... watched the first point Cilic serving .... bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce X by 15 ........ ace

Next serve he gets two balls inspects them both ... bats one dismissively behind him , calls for another ... inspection ...doesn't like that one either ... bats it behind .... calls for another .

Eeeeeeek :blob8: :blob8: that's enough for me . Fifty seconds later I'm eating the grub trying to do yesterday's Sudoku .

I haven't watched a single ball hit in this year's Wimbledon. My wife put it briefly (very briefly) on while flicking channels during one day of it. But whoever was playing were sitting down having their break between games, or is it every other game?

Post #472785  Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:07 pm 

First half was very good. No point in making any comments on the players individually as most think the application players put in at preseason is not important apparently. Funny I would have thought a few may have tried to impress.

Post #472786  Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:15 pm 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I haven't watched a single ball hit in this year's Wimbledon. My wife put it on while flicking channels on one day of it. But whoever was playing were sitting down having their break between games, or is it every other game?

Every odd game .... so they play one game then have a sit down , a drink , a towel off , someone holds an umbrella over them , they call for somebody to get them another drink ..... then they play TWO whole games at one end without a break .

Shoot I'm on a roll here ..... the slightest twinge or if they are losing they call for a trainer who comes out and gives their back , leg , arm , nuts [ if its a bloke ] a rub with some liniment , balm whatever get it strapped to look the part , then shout for some lackey to run off and have their racquet restrung .... even though they have at least another ten space age carbon tetron molybdenum vanadium chromium freebies in their bag .

Get paid a zillion dollars , all the while being graceless , surly , charmless without an ounce of charisma in their bodies [ Federer and Tsonga excepted ] moaning their tits off because their limo was five minutes late picking them up for practice .

.... when in the "good old days" ... they changed ends collected two balls and served ....... no breaks , except at the end of a set ...no seats , no drinks cabinet , maybe two wooden racquets apiece , Newcombe making eyes at women linespersons , Hoad bantering with Seixas , Ayala at the other end .

:laughing7: I'm glad to get that off my chest ..... outside to chop some branches off a **&^^% leaf dropping tree .

Post #472787  Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:21 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
First half was very good. No point in making any comments on the players individually as most think the application players put in at preseason is not important apparently. Funny I would have thought a few may have tried to impress.

Only watched most of the first half but in an attempt to wrest the revered Wet Blanket award from from your claws Gaz

.......Iwobi in particular ; looks like he has 5 kilos of lead in each boot or he has had a couple of late nights up at The Cross .

Post #472788  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:47 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Only watched most of the first half but in an attempt to wrest the revered Wet Blanket award from from your claws Gaz

.......Iwobi in particular ; looks like he has 5 kilos of lead in each boot or he has had a couple of late nights up at The Cross .

Hoy will come down on u like a ton of bricks for any criticism. On tennis & other sport there was a psychologist on weekend sport commenting on the modern generation. When I get back home & a computer I will raise some of the issues they mentioned. Applies to tennis & other sports IMO.

Post #472789  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:29 am 

Shocking behaviour by Arsenal in Australia for the Half-Full Cup contenders. Two wins, played well and the fans and kids enjoyed themselves. How dare they do that? Fear not lads, things should revert to normal for you in China, with Bayern ready to put you back on track.

Good luck to Federer today, but I fancied Cilic before the tournament began. He might be a dream-spoiler.

Post #472790  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:46 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Good luck to Federer today, but I fancied Cilic before the tournament began. He might be a dream-spoiler.

Thanks for letting us know who the men's final is between. Even I've heard of Federer. Never heard of Cilic though. Yesterday I heard one of the Williams sisters, and I've heard of both, lost the female final. Never heard of whoever it was that beat her though. Have to make sure neither BBC1 or BBC2 are put on the telly while I'm in the same room today, to keep up my record of not seeing a single ball hit in this year's Wimbledon.

Post #472791  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:47 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Shocking behaviour by Arsenal in Australia for the Half-Full Cup contenders. Two wins, played well and the fans and kids enjoyed themselves. How dare they do that? Fear not lads, things should revert to normal for you in China, with Bayern ready to put you back on track.

and let's not forget the p*ss poor crowd numbers ..... record attendances on both occasions 80, 342 .
...and one on a Thursday

Why are we such a p*ss poor drawcard

That's better than anyone gets in the Premier League .

We should play all our home games in Sydney .

Post #472792  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:51 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
but I fancied Cilic before the tournament began.

yeah yeah ... like Niall knew all about Wiltord before he arrived .

You told the old codgers down at the bingo hall you were hoping for an Emerson victory .

Post #472793  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:56 am 

Bernard wrote:
one of the Williams sisters, and I've heard of both

well done if you said Robin and Steve ... or did you guess Andy

Post #472794  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:59 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Nope. Serena and Venus, and it was the latter who lost. Isn't Serena the better one though, so someone must have knocked her out. Personally, I've always thought anyone with the surname Williams, male or female, should be called Steve.

Post #472795  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:09 am 

kiwipete wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
but I fancied Cilic before the tournament began.

yeah yeah ... like Niall knew all about Wiltord before he arrived .

You told the old codgers down at the bingo hall you were hoping for an Emerson victory .
Spotted Cilic a few years ago when he won the Bermondsey Open at Southwark Park. Even the local bull-terriers stopped to appreciate his talent.

Once Rocket Rod went away for a while Emmo was one of the best. Achievements rather forgotten these days perhaps? Newcombe was the man though - a proper sportsman. Not matched in tennis until Borg came to show us how to be a great winner and cool at the same time. Then a long wait for something really special and we got the incredible Sampras and now supreme of all, Federer.

Post #472796  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:11 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:

B possibly thinks Shirley Williams is a tennis player.

Post #472797  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:35 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
B possibly thinks Shirley Williams is a tennis player.

Politician who left the Labour Party when she thought it was moving too far to what's commonly called 'the left'.

I deserve the Nobel Prize for irony for that: 'left' the Party when she considered it went too far to the 'left'.

Post #472798  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:36 am 

old man of hoy wrote:

No. Federer will handle him.

Post #472799  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:40 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Nope. Serena and Venus, and it was the latter who lost. Isn't Serena the better one though, so someone must have knocked her out.

Knocked her up, you mean.

Post #472800  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:46 am 

Rich wrote:
HoddGooner wrote:

I know a few fans who rate Trippier higher, I would only agree on crossing, but in all other departments Walker is the better player. However, £50m is still extreme, Walker is a tremendous athlete, the side and style Poch has built has suited his game down to the ground - as it has many spurs players - the system is based on a lot of athletic and physical attributes. It will be interesting to see how Walker fits in with Pep's system which seems to ask far more technical and positional brilliance from all players

Regarding Rich's comment on Walker's crossing ability, Gary Lineker made me smile when he said: "Fullback, Kyle Walker becomes the world's most expensive defender at £50m plus. Imagine how much he would cost if he could cross the ball."

[ 572035 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11817, 11818, 11819, 11820, 11821, 11822, 11823 ... 14301  Next