Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, Decaf, mcquilkie, Rich and 277 guests

Post #510121  Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:58 pm 

Man U sign Amrabat on deadline day and he has a 6 week back injury….shades of Kim Kallstrom

Post #510122  Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:56 pm 

Rich wrote:
Man U sign Amrabat on deadline day and he has a 6 week back injury….shades of Kim Kallstrom

Tierney

Post #510123  Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:12 pm 

The var discussion of the Havertz pen. They are only looking at the legs. It’s re reffing the decision

https://x.com/gunnersc0m/status/1699143 ... 2SVs7ar8TQ

Seems ridiculous and like DHD said it sounds off they sound like they are from Manchester

Post #510124  Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:45 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
The var discussion of the Havertz pen. They are only looking at the legs. It’s re reffing the decision

Seems ridiculous and like DHD said it sounds off they sound like they are from Manchester

The thing that stood out for me was Taylor the on pitch ref was asking the var 'was there any contact?' as he was chatting to them and they were reviewing. They never actually answered his question. They said there was 'minimal contact' and that it was effectively Havertz making the contact on wan-bissaka.

I'll say it once again, I'm fine with that not being a penalty if all decisions like this are the same. However, I've already seen Szobaszlai throw himself over a leg when he felt minimal contact and Rashford clip a thigh as he ran and go down - again minimal contact and both were given. Last season De Bruyne was given an outrageous penalty in the last minute to beat Fulham 2-1 where I still struggle to see even minimal contact. The fact is this situation will get given time and again this season and the recommendation will not be to review and overturn. It is also a situation that won't be given by the on field ref - again that is fine. It is a subjective 50/50 call - the main point being the PGMOL have categorically stated they don't want to re-ref games and the bar is set high for an overturn. Once it was given there isn't enough there to definitely overturn it as a clear and obvious error

Post #510125  Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:04 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

The thing that stood out for me was Taylor the on pitch ref was asking the var 'was there any contact?' as he was chatting to them and they were reviewing. They never actually answered his question. They said there was 'minimal contact' and that it was effectively Havertz making the contact on wan-bissaka.

I'll say it once again, I'm fine with that not being a penalty if all decisions like this are the same. However, I've already seen Szobaszlai throw himself over a leg when he felt minimal contact and Rashford clip a thigh as he ran and go down - again minimal contact and both were given. Last season De Bruyne was given an outrageous penalty in the last minute to beat Fulham 2-1 where I still struggle to see even minimal contact. The fact is this situation will get given time and again this season and the recommendation will not be to review and overturn. It is also a situation that won't be given by the on field ref - again that is fine. It is a subjective 50/50 call - the main point being the PGMOL have categorically stated they don't want to re-ref games and the bar is set high for an overturn. Once it was given there isn't enough there to definitely overturn it as a clear and obvious error

And yet Utd are going on and on about how unlucky they were. I hope that Jesus goal is haunting their dreams.

Post #510126  Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:13 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

The other issue is the way var report it to the ref "there is minimal contact from Havertz left foot as he runs through'......what should be said is 'there is minimal contact from Wan-Bissaka's thigh on Havertz's left foot as Havertz runs through'. The var is already influencing the decision by deciding it is Havertz's fault there is contact

Post #510127  Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:24 pm 

because of the timing of the two international breaks Partey may only miss 4 league games for us with his injury. we play Chelsea away on 21st Oct in the 5th league game from now which would be about 7 weeks

Post #510128  Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:34 pm 

Havertz is taking more stick and scrutiny in the media after 4 games (in which we've got 10/12 points) than so many high priced players who have failed to deliver in this league.
Richarlison, Anthony, Sancho, Mudryk, Enzo Fernandez, Fofana....

That said I'm desperate for Havertz to get off the mark for us

Post #510129  Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:44 pm 

Ash wrote:
Rich wrote:

And yet Utd are going on and on about how unlucky they were. I hope that Jesus goal is haunting their dreams.

I think that's deflection on Ten Hag's part. He is under pressure. They've lost two out of four and their away record is hopeless. He hasn't found a decent attacking set-up at all and their midfield goes missing half the time. Finishing the game with a centreback pairing of Maguire and Evans probably sent him over the edge.

And that's before this Antony situation and Sancho throwing his toys out of the pram.

Post #510130  Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:49 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Post #510131  Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:34 am 

dec wrote:
Ash wrote:

I think that's deflection on Ten Hag's part. He is under pressure. They've lost two out of four and their away record is hopeless. He hasn't found a decent attacking set-up at all and their midfield goes missing half the time. Finishing the game with a centreback pairing of Maguire and Evans probably sent him over the edge.

And that's before this Antony situation and Sancho throwing his toys out of the pram.

Yes it’s a mess and he is deflecting massively. On paper they look a reasonable side when you see their team sheet but they have little style of play and look like a collection of individuals playing for themselves. Ten bags has spent a fortune and they look no different to the teams we see at the emirates who sit back with no intention of attacking and try and nick a counter,

Worth pointing out Mikels record against united, 5 wins in 8 games now. That’s very good for an Arsenal manager

Post #510132  Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:54 am 

Interesting to hear the var audio from the Onana penalty incident v Wolves. The var ref correctly lists all the reasons why it should be a penalty then suddenly decided it was a ‘normal collision’ and ‘check complete’.

It feels a bit to me that the constant chatter of the var ref to the onfield ref influences things too much. He’s told him what to look for before he’s got to the monitor to check for himself. Obviously we know that 99% of decisions get reversed as soon as the ref is told to go to the monitor. I wonder what would happen if the var ref just said ‘I’m recommending you go to the monitor” and then let the on field ref review his own decision without any influence?

Post #510133  Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:02 am 

This is going to be super controversial maybe. I love that we signed Rice. I think he's playing very good for us and we are a much improved team with him.

The accolades though are as if he's the 2nd coming. Arteta in my humble opinion has him playing a more muted role than he did at West Ham. This said in context. He was much more dynamic at West Ham. So, this incarnation of Rice isn't the same. It's perhaps a role we need him to play, but he playeda more instrumental role at West Ham. I thought we were going to play him in that role.

It's not what we need out of him from our setup, I think. But I think the press and pundits are a bit over the top. He's like a more improved version of what Jorginho was doing. Just saying. Again, I'm happy as pie we have him, he's been great, I think he'll be even better once settled. I also hope Arteta plays more to his strengths, which is give him the room to make runs deep into the opposition third. He knows when to do it. We saw him do it for West Ham against us. He's doing it a little now. Not as much, as its early days. Its a dimension to our strategy we don't have. I'd like to see it done, as needed.

Post #510134  Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:20 am 

Ramsdale out says the mail

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... hance.html

Would seem very very harsh to me to be honest

Post #510135  Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:44 am 

Our government has 1 purpose to asset strip the public purse and give it to their mates, that’s all.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... m-30871695

Post #510136  Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:32 am 

A lot has (rightly) been said about Jesus and Vieira's cameos. However, I think Nelson was again excellent-dynamic and progressive. Another sign of how good a bench we now have.

Post #510137  Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:53 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
This is going to be super controversial maybe. I love that we signed Rice. I think he's playing very good for us and we are a much improved team with him.

The accolades though are as if he's the 2nd coming. Arteta in my humble opinion has him playing a more muted role than he did at West Ham. This said in context. He was much more dynamic at West Ham. So, this incarnation of Rice isn't the same. It's perhaps a role we need him to play, but he playeda more instrumental role at West Ham. I thought we were going to play him in that role.

It's not what we need out of him from our setup, I think. But I think the press and pundits are a bit over the top. He's like a more improved version of what Jorginho was doing. Just saying. Again, I'm happy as pie we have him, he's been great, I think he'll be even better once settled. I also hope Arteta plays more to his strengths, which is give him the room to make runs deep into the opposition third. He knows when to do it. We saw him do it for West Ham against us. He's doing it a little now. Not as much, as its early days. Its a dimension to our strategy we don't have. I'd like to see it done, as needed.

In West Ham Rice played in a midfield 2 at the base with Soucek, he was also a big fish in a small pond so often took it on himself to make everything happen. At Arsenal his role is more sophisticated and more multi-faceted in my opinion. Sitting at the base of midfield in a 1 whilst often both full backs are ahead of you and you have 50 yards of green grass behind you, he is responsible for starting the attacks, sustaining possession and moving it quickly through the lines and also making sure the back door is shut. The role is very different to what he had to do at West Ham because the two clubs play in completly contrasting styles.

It is a similar to why someone like Maguire can look brilliant in a deep lying Leicester defence as he blocks, clears and heads everything away only having to move in a 20 yard radius around the edge of his own box - then finds himself at a top club where he's 40 yards further up the pitch, having to pass the ball more and defend 1v1 with a load of space behind him

Post #510138  Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:56 pm 

Last season there was a lot of talk about too much emotion with Arsenal, at the time we were riding the crest of a wave and I didn't want to agree with it, but there is something in it. It is great when we win and we do win games off that emotion, but it also has negative effects that cause us to slip up. After the weekend I'd love nothing more than to string together a run of ultra boring robotic 2-0 wins......but with Spurs and City coming to the Emirates in our next 2 home league games I can't see the emotion dropping!

Post #510139  Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:02 pm 

Xhaka last season vs Havertz this season. On purely stats Havertz is doing as much of not more than Xhaka.
Of course football isn’t just stats, and it’s clear we probably hoped for a bit more tangible output so far but I feel Havertz is going to be unfairly judged too quickly by many simply because he is ex Chelsea. He’d be getting a lot more patience and goodwill if we’d signed him from a foreign team.

Attachments:

Post #510140  Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:01 pm 

In terms of expected goals against Ramsdale is statistically the worst gk in the league after 4 games. He’s conceded 1.8 more goals than would be expected.
I think such a small sample can be explained by the very few shots that he’s had to save and whether he would have realistically been expected to save the low xG shots he’s faced.

For example a player can shoot from 30 yards and ping it right in the top corner, that exact shot would score nearly every time but a shot from that spot would score very few times. So you can be unlucky as a gk and face the wonder shot.

In my view Ramsdale had little to no chance with Forest goal and Fulham equaliser. The Fulham first goal probably had a low xG because of where it was on the pitch- the player was trying to curl it high over Ramsdale and shanked it near post- still Ramsdale would probably have expected himself to have adjusted and saved it.
The rashford shot he got hands to, and usually gk are annoyed to not keep it out if they get hands to it.

Post #510141  Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:19 pm 

Saka nominated for the Balon D’Or

Post #510142  Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:31 pm 

Ødegaard nominated for the Balon D’Or

Post #510143  Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:48 pm 

Rich wrote:

Soon to be renamed “the annual Erling Haaland trophy”

Post #510144  Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:31 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

Soon to be renamed “the annual Erling Haaland trophy”

Until Mbappe joins Real Madrid.....

Post #510145  Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:52 am 

https://thehardtackle.com/transfer-news ... as-partey/

If the price is right, I think it is good to capitalise now
Of late, Partey has been more careless with his passes
When he is on form, fantastic. But the critical careless passes almost always leads to a goal
And also his injury record
The funds will help Arsenal get a good replacement in the Jan window

Post #510146  Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:54 am 

https://tbrfootball.com/mikel-arteta-pl ... r-arsenal/

I'm still in bewilderment as to why Arteta should unsettle Ramsdale
Is he becoming a rebel to him?

Post #510147  Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:32 am 

gooner7 wrote:
https://thehardtackle.com/transfer-news/2023/09/07/saudi-arabian-clubs-keen-on-arsenal-midfielder-thomas-partey/

When he is on form, fantastic. But the critical careless passes almost always leads to a goal

Would be a Ridiculous Decision.

Been great and it’s been unfair to ask him to act as a full back. As far as I’m aware his careless passes don’t et beyond 1 at West Ham last year

Post #510148  Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:29 am 

This didn't age well. I keep hearing a repeated story that had he lost to Palace in that '90 cup final he was going to be sacked. I've watched replays of that and I am cheering on Palace anyway. Crazy, I know.

Attachments:

Post #510149  Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:33 am 

Rich wrote:
Ødegaard nominated for the Balon D’Or

We ever had 2 nominated at the same time before?

Post #510150  Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:17 am 

gooner7 wrote:
https://thehardtackle.com/transfer-news/2023/09/07/saudi-arabian-clubs-keen-on-arsenal-midfielder-thomas-partey/

Hi G7,

Not sure the time to sell is now but there is certainly a school of thought that suggests we have to be looking at replacing him soon.

Top, top player when fit and on form but he has simply had too many injuries and missed too many big games in his Arsenal career. It's the big games when you need your best players fit and rearing to go.

Post #510151  Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:25 am 

gooner7 wrote:
https://tbrfootball.com/mikel-arteta-plotting-to-unleash-one-of-the-most-underrated-talents-for-arsenal/

I'm still in bewilderment as to why Arteta should unsettle Ramsdale
Is he becoming a rebel to him?

There is something weird about this whole situation. I definitely get the feeling that Arteta will give Raya a run as soon as he can do so without causing too much of a fuss. A few more less than convincing moments from Rambo and I reckon Raya will get his chance. Certainly, he'll play in the League Cup and maybe the CL games and if he impresses then he might be in for good. Rumours are that he's amazing in training so we will see what happens.

Seems very unfair on Rambo who is probably a level below worldclass at the moment despite being named in the PL team of the year. As someone said the other day regarding some of the goals he's let in......a very good keeper does what he's done ie gets a hand to the ball but can't quite keep it out whilst an elite keeper probably saves at least some of them.

Post #510152  Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:43 pm 

socrates wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Hi G7,

Not sure the time to sell is now but there is certainly a school of thought that suggests we have to be looking at replacing him soon.

Top, top player when fit and on form but he has simply had too many injuries and missed too many big games in his Arsenal career. It's the big games when you need your best players fit and rearing to go.

Partey has only been available for 66% of games. I think he’s a tremendous player when on form and there I no way in hell I’d sell him to the Saudis now, but in the summer we’ll lose Jorginho and Elneny and it’s probably the time to move on Partey at 31 with 1 year left on his deal. But then who is the next great defensive midfield….lots of very good ones moved this summer. Lone defensive mid for an Arteta set up is ridiculously difficult to do, we’re really talking about a handful of players in the world who can do it to a high level, for my money Partey and Rice are two of those.

Post #510153  Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:08 pm 

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi G7,

Partey has only been available for 66% of games. I think he’s a tremendous player when on form and there I no way in hell I’d sell him to the Saudis now, but in the summer we’ll lose Jorginho and Elneny and it’s probably the time to move on Partey at 31 with 1 year left on his deal. But then who is the next great defensive midfield….lots of very good ones moved this summer. Lone defensive mid for an Arteta set up is ridiculously difficult to do, we’re really talking about a handful of players in the world who can do it to a high level, for my money Partey and Rice are two of those.

Evening Rich. That is absolutely right. The point to be emphasised is that it would be madness to sell him (or Gabriel for that matter) NOW. Jorghino is great backup but, for that role, a big step down from Partey or Rice.

I would love to see how a team with Partey and Rice operating in front of our best back four would operate. Partey in a freer role in front of Rice could be devastating.

Post #510154  Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:51 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Rich wrote:

Evening Rich. That is absolutely right. The point to be emphasised is that it would be madness to sell him (or Gabriel for that matter) NOW. Jorghino is great backup but, for that role, a big step down from Partey or Rice.

I would love to see how a team with Partey and Rice operating in front of our best back four would operate. Partey in a freer role in front of Rice could be devastating.

Them operating together with the same back 4 we had at the weekend would be something I’d like to se in the very biggest games, or big knock out games. Maybe it takes a bit of attacking quality from us, or as much as Arteta would like but it would look so solid. You’d still have 4 top quality attackers who could go and win the game 1-0 for you

Post #510155  Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:52 pm 

Marcelo Flores has left the club, Arsenal reportedly got £2m for him.

Pépé also sealing a move to Turkey tomorrow

Post #510156  Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:50 am 

Rich wrote:

It was reported that Pépé's deal with Besiktas failed because he was looking for a wage increase. This guy really don't know his true value at this moment.

Post #510157  Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:46 am 

Rich wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Them operating together with the same back 4 we had at the weekend would be something I’d like to se in the very biggest games, or big knock out games. Maybe it takes a bit of attacking quality from us, or as much as Arteta would like but it would look so solid. You’d still have 4 top quality attackers who could go and win the game 1-0 for you

Was hoping to see them together last weekend until Partey went and injured himself. :laughing7:

I don’t think it would take as much out of attack as people think. Both of them are very good deep passers of the ball and with them sitting, you could push Zinny or White forward for overlaps on the flanks. Or just to push forward into those left right attcking pockets where they’ve proven they interlink well with Saka and Martinelli. It would also stop Ødegaard needing to drop deep to get on the ball.

Would take some adjustment but I think it could work as a tactical option.

Post #510158  Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:57 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Rich wrote:

It was reported that Pépé's deal with Besiktas failed because he was looking for a wage increase. This guy really don't know his true value at this moment.

Pépé has moved to Trabsonspor. Rumoured fee of £3m

Obviously he’s been a huge flop for us given the fee and he just didn’t fit with Arteta’s plans, but he still produced far more output than someone like Antony at Man U

Post #510159  Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:53 am 

grantyboy wrote:
Rich wrote:

Was hoping to see them together last weekend until Partey went and injured himself. :laughing7:

I don’t think it would take as much out of attack as people think. Both of them are very good deep passers of the ball and with them sitting, you could push Zinny or White forward for overlaps on the flanks. Or just to push forward into those left right attcking pockets where they’ve proven they interlink well with Saka and Martinelli. It would also stop Ødegaard needing to drop deep to get on the ball.

Definitely in big away games, where the emphasis is not conceding.

But I can see it unlocking our attack too. Reminiscent of Petit and Vieira.

I think Partey can be quite creative too.

Post #510160  Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:58 am 

Decaf wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Definitely in big away games, where the emphasis is not conceding.

But I can see it unlocking our attack too. Reminiscent of Petit and Vieira.

I think Partey can be quite creative too.

Yes, he plays as an attacking midfielder for Ghana quite often.

If Arteta is looking to make us less predictable, or to have multiple ways of playing it is something I'd like to see vs City for example. It is hardly like Partey and Rice are old style defensive mids who just block, tackle, intercept and pass it 5 yards to someone more talented

[ 517581 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12751, 12752, 12753, 12754, 12755, 12756, 12757 ... 12940  Next