Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:45 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 363 guests

Post #516721  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:29 am 

:icon_mrgreen:

Attachments:

Post #516722  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:54 am 

What is our main, number one goal this season? I'm not saying we shouldn't try and do well in every competition we are in but we don't have a squad that can compete at its best in multiple competitions.

Attachments:

Post #516723  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:22 am 

The Trump memes racing across social media pages from the states are brutal. And in great quantity. No attempt at decorum, civility. I've never, ever seen a president so openly reviled in a moment that should garner sympathy and politics put aside for the moment. Republican friends are silent for the most part. Not much of a push back. To be fair though, were it Obama, the evangelicals would be praising Republican Jesus and saying its God's punishment for not being against abortion.

Even his wife is dragged into it. And people hoping other members of his cabinet have gotten it or members of Congress. I can't really say it's a surprise. During the debate he ridiculed Biden for over using masks.

Post #516724  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:33 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
What I have seen is a player who can dribble but often goes nowhere or turns backwards in order to keep the ball. Nothing at the end of the run. Gervinho and Pépé looked exactly the same. So what is he a defensive player or creative or a bit of both. He might be okay but so might Cellabos of Willian but they don’t seem to showing it.

He's not 'okay', he's an excellent player who's been a mainstay in a very good Atletico Madrid team for three years now. Whether that translates to the PL is impossible to predict (and sadly I don't think we'll find out) but there's no doubting his quality. You just have to watch him play, or listen to literally anybody who's seen him.

Again I have to ask who you'd like us to sign, if Aouar and Partey are so clearly not good enough.

I think the midfield is suffering because Xhaka is so limited. By covering his limitations the midfield is unbalanced. Start with that position and then see what we have at the club even if younger players are tried and fail. I think Xhaka has to go to start. Pépé out altogether and try and reorganise by using Saks, M-N, Smith Rowe (when recovered) in midfield and see if any of them work out. Give them extended runs. Maybe move Gabriel or even Tierney into Xhaka position. Assuming we can get some value out of all the other CB’s at the club. Teams of any standard are continually creating more chances than us and often they are quality chances. I don’t want us spending on other midfielders unless there is a guarantee they will improve the team and be able to start in the EPL without us waiting 1-2 years.

Post #516725  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:10 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I don’t want us spending on other midfielders unless there is a guarantee they will improve the team and be able to start in the EPL without us waiting 1-2 years.

So that basically means we shouldn't sign anyone, since no player is guaranteed to do anything? It's honestly one of the weirdest opinions I've seen on here. Thomas Partey - a starter for a better team than Arsenal - isn't good enough for our midfield, but Emile Smith Rowe might be? Not sure exactly what our aim would be if we got rid of Xhaka and Pépé, didn't sign anyone and played the academy kids instead - top 10?

Post #516726  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:57 am 

Rich wrote:
Is that how desperate we are for central midfielders? On the basis that we’re looking to upgrade from players who lack pace, power, mobility, first touch, technique in tight spaces and ability to dribble out of a high press I really can’t see how Chambers fits the bill at all.

Note I said back up. If you need to shut up shop, you are playing Doncaster Rovers in the FA Cup, there is a Carabao Cup match or Dundalk in the Europa League then Chambers might be a good guy to have as a DM as opposed to risking a first choice player. If he was Fulham's player of the year while playing in the Prem then you'd have to think the guy has something about him. He maybe no Keane, Pirlo or Vieira but then there are very few of those around.

Post #516727  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:58 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
I don’t want us spending on other midfielders unless there is a guarantee they will improve the team and be able to start in the EPL without us waiting 1-2 years.

So that basically means we shouldn't sign anyone, since no player is guaranteed to do anything? It's honestly one of the weirdest opinions I've seen on here. Thomas Partey - a starter for a better team than Arsenal - isn't good enough for our midfield, but Emile Smith Rowe might be? Not sure exactly what our aim would be if we got rid of Xhaka and Pépé, didn't sign anyone and played the academy kids instead - top 10?

Know nothing about Aouar but I have seen Partey play a few times in the later stages of the CL against the likes of Real and he looks a decent player who would add to our team.

Post #516728  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:17 am 

Gunfire wrote:
Rich wrote:
Is that how desperate we are for central midfielders? On the basis that we’re looking to upgrade from players who lack pace, power, mobility, first touch, technique in tight spaces and ability to dribble out of a high press I really can’t see how Chambers fits the bill at all.

Note I said back up. If you need to shut up shop, you are playing Doncaster Rovers in the FA Cup, there is a Carabao Cup match or Dundalk in the Europa League then Chambers might be a good guy to have as a DM as opposed to risking a first choice player. If he was Fulham's player of the year while playing in the Prem then you'd have to think the guy has something about him. He maybe no Keane, Pirlo or Vieira but then there are very few of those around.

I also thought think it might be relevant that some are thinking of Chambers as a back up defender. From what I’ve heard of his time at Fulham, he’s an even worse defender than he is a midfielder. Look, I think Chambers is one of the players I’d like to see the back of. But under the sort of circumstances you cite Gunfire, he could possibly do a semi-decent job as a back up defensive midfielder where he performed well enough in a rubbish Fulham team to win their player of the season award. It’s big ‘could possibly’ in my last sentence and I wouldn’t be happy to see him play there for us. But following on from his season at Fulham, I may well be even less happy about him playing in defence for us.

Post #516729  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:58 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
He's not 'okay', he's an excellent player who's been a mainstay in a very good Atletico Madrid team for three years now. Whether that translates to the PL is impossible to predict (and sadly I don't think we'll find out) but there's no doubting his quality. You just have to watch him play, or listen to literally anybody who's seen him.

Again I have to ask who you'd like us to sign, if Aouar and Partey are so clearly not good enough.

I think the midfield is suffering because Xhaka is so limited. By covering his limitations the midfield is unbalanced. Start with that position and then see what we have at the club even if younger players are tried and fail. I think Xhaka has to go to start. Pépé out altogether and try and reorganise by using Saks, M-N, Smith Rowe (when recovered) in midfield and see if any of them work out. Give them extended runs. Maybe move Gabriel or even Tierney into Xhaka position. Assuming we can get some value out of all the other CB’s at the club. Teams of any standard are continually creating more chances than us and often they are quality chances. I don’t want us spending on other midfielders unless there is a guarantee they will improve the team and be able to start in the EPL without us waiting 1-2 years.

I don’t agree that Xhaka is ‘so limited’. I think if he had more pace, then his ‘limitations’ would be far less noticeable. It’s his lack of pace that gets him into trouble and the main reason in my opinion he commits so many ‘silly’ fouls.

I agree about Pépé - he isn’t going to make the grade. He’s had enough time to adjust both through training and the matches he’s been involved in, and I think we have to put down the money spent as a bad investment. Sell him and get back whatever losses we can recoup.

Post #516730  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:03 am 

Arsenal contributed their fair share to this list.

Post #516731  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:04 am 

Sadio Mané tested positive. Wish him well but why couldn't it have shown up before our last prem game.

Worried about how many of our players could be infected too?

Post #516732  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:12 am 

john1 wrote:
I agree about Pépé - he isn’t going to make the grade. He’s had enough time to adjust both through training and the matches he’s been involved in, and I think we have to put down the money spent as a bad investment. Sell him and get back whatever losses we can recoup.

I think this is a bit harsh. Coming to Arsenal in the state we were in last season is probably the worst possible circumstances imaginable to join a big club in - never mind the fact that the Premier League is a challenge for any player. He still managed 8 goals and 10 assists over the course of the season, which is not a bad return, and had som impressive displays. To me, he was possibly our best player after Aubameyang in the FA cup final.

Like everyone else, I expect more from him this season, but I think it's way premature to write him off.

Post #516733  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:18 am 

One thing I would say about Pépé is that despite not impressing too much he never has had a clear run in the side as far as I recall.

The watershed moment was in the Europa league last year when he came on as sub, looked very dangerous and scored 2 stunning free kicks and everyone thought that he had arrived. Next game, dropped ! Just as soon as he seems to do something that impresses the side is changed. Not sure how he is building momentum if that occurs. Give him a run of ten games and see his mettle.

The William thing, very impressive againest Fulham (who are surefire relegation candidates) but since then all a bit meh. Bit pepeish but with a brain

Post #516734  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:03 am 

Hazuki wrote:
john1 wrote:

I think this is a bit harsh. Coming to Arsenal in the state we were in last season is probably the worst possible circumstances imaginable to join a big club in - never mind the fact that the Premier League is a challenge for any player. He still managed 8 goals and 10 assists over the course of the season, which is not a bad return, and had som impressive displays. To me, he was possibly our best player after Aubameyang in the FA cup final.

Like everyone else, I expect more from him this season, but I think it's way premature to write him off.

I hope you’re right Haz. If he comes good, then great.

Post #516735  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:04 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
One thing I would say about Pépé is that despite not impressing too much he never has had a clear run in the side as far as I recall.

The watershed moment was in the Europa league last year when he came on as sub, looked very dangerous and scored 2 stunning free kicks and everyone thought that he had arrived. Next game, dropped ! Just as soon as he seems to do something that impresses the side is changed. Not sure how he is building momentum if that occurs. Give him a run of ten games and see his mettle.

The William thing, very impressive againest Fulham (who are surefire relegation candidates) but since then all a bit meh. Bit pepeish but with a brain

To get a clear run in the side, you need to impress the person picking the team. He clearly hasn’t done enough so far to merit a place for a sustained period.

Agree on Willian - he looks a bit of a sulker if things aren’t going his way.

Post #516736  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:28 am 

john1 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

To get a clear run in the side, you need to impress the person picking the team. He clearly hasn’t done enough so far to merit a place for a sustained period.

Agree on Willian - he looks a bit of a sulker if things aren’t going his way.

I know what you mean but there’s so many examples of us pulling him about.

West Ham away last year we were really struggling then he curls one in the top corner Superbly and sets one up for aubameyang. Next game ? DROPPED

On Thursday he did that perfect nailed on flighted cross that Holding shamefully headed right at their keeper. He’s got that moment of quality that wins games

Im not saying he’s a world beater but I think he needs a run and he provided more goals and assist than Pires did In his first year

Post #516737  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:51 am 

I’ve always taken the support of your own fans as the biggest advantage of playing at home. I wonder what the stats are across the Premier League for home points won since the ‘behind closed doors’ came in, as opposed to the home points won in the same number of games prior to the lockdown change.

Easy to work out for Arsenal. Since behind closed doors came in, it’s five wins out of five so 15 from 5, a per game average of 3.0. Good job we got the arguably undeserved winner against West Ham this season. In the last five home games in front of crowds, it was four wins and a draw. Hence 13 from 5, a per game mean of 2.6. I wonder what the stats are for all Premier League teams, inclusive of Arsenal?

I realise it takes no account of any differences in the standard of opposing teams in what is a very small sample size. Also, with promotion and relegation three of the teams won’t even be the same. Nor does it take account of any transfer activity for the other seventeen clubs. But I still think it would be an interesting stat.

Post #516738  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:56 pm 

Usually reliable RMC now reporting Lyon has ended negotiations over Aouar. If we don't manage to get him or someone else in, it has to be said it's a huge failure of a transfer window. Going into the season with only two starting quality central midfielders just isn't good enough, no matter how difficult the market is at the moment.

Post #516739  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:03 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Usually reliable RMC now reporting Lyon has ended negotiations over Aouar. If we don't manage to get him or someone else in, it has to be said it's a huge failure of a transfer window. Going into the season with only two starting quality central midfielders just isn't good enough, no matter how difficult the market is at the moment.

Yep, it seems that way.

If we couldn't or wouldn't pay what Lyon wanted we should have ended negotiations a week ago giving us time to bring in targets who we could afford.

The words "wild goose chase" springs to mind.

Can't believe we would let Torreira go if we aren't bringing anyone else in, especially if its only a loan with an option to buy. It weakens us and potentailly strengthens Athletico with little risk for them.

Post #516740  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:47 pm 

Covid has given us a unique opportunity to pursue players who would ordinarily be targets for the Barca, Madrid etc. Players for whom Arsenal would usually be some way down the list of preferred options.

It seems so short-sighted not to take advantage.

Post #516741  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:56 pm 

socrates wrote:
Covid has given us a unique opportunity to pursue players who would ordinarily be targets for the Barca, Madrid etc. Players for whom Arsenal would usually be some way down the list of preferred options.

It seems so short-sighted not to take advantage.

I think the club have suffered because of years of bad decisions. We seem to have a raft of players nobody wants and cannot shift. Add to that the 100 million drop in matchday revenue meaning we need to quibble over the price.

Still time to go, Don’t rule out a couple of things. 1 being us doing some kind of weird swap deal or transfer with chelsea, the links to Jorginho and their other players a few weeks back were odd and coming from somewhere. 2nd us selling a player we dont want to, ie Bellerin, Lacazette or Maitland Niles. Arteta knows not reinvigorating his midfield is a disaster

Post #516742  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:13 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
I think the club have suffered because of years of bad decisions. We seem to have a raft of players nobody wants and cannot shift. Add to that the 100 million drop in matchday revenue meaning we need to quibble over the price.

We definitely have some players we want to shift, but that was the case last year too and we still managed to break our transfer record. I get that spending is difficult this summer, but there's no excuse if we don't manage to sign a single central midfielder. Especially when we're getting rid of Torreira, it's clearly an area we've been looking to adress.

Post #516743  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:38 pm 

I talked up Douacore earlier in the summer. I thought he’d be ideal for us.Everton got him for 20 million. One of the best deals of this window imo
Watching him against Brighton today he’s been great. Breaking up attacks ....supporting the front men.... allowing James to get forward and score a couple. Terrific performance. I hope Partey or Aouar have the same impact if we get either or both.

Post #516744  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:49 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

We definitely have some players we want to shift, but that was the case last year too and we still managed to break our transfer record. I get that spending is difficult this summer, but there's no excuse if we don't manage to sign a single central midfielder. Especially when we're getting rid of Torreira, it's clearly an area we've been looking to adress.

I think you will see some new players turning up.

May not be the ones we expect

Post #516745  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:02 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Hard to imagine the business is all concluded. Hope to see some ins (even just one) and a few outs before 11pm on Monday.

Post #516746  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:13 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

I hope you're right! I'm not dead set on Aouar or anyone in particular, I have enough faith in Arteta to identify players who fit into what he wants to do, but it would be so frustrating to leave ourselves short.

Post #516747  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:17 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I hope you're right! I'm not dead set on Aouar or anyone in particular, I have enough faith in Arteta to identify players who fit into what he wants to do, but it would be so frustrating to leave ourselves short like that.

You have to question signing Mari and soares when we are loaded with centre backs and have right back cover if it’s left us short of Cash to sign Aour.

Kia Joorbachin is probably staring at his mobile waiting for a what’s app right now

Post #516748  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:22 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I hope you're right! I'm not dead set on Aouar or anyone in particular, I have enough faith in Arteta to identify players who fit into what he wants to do, but it would be so frustrating to leave ourselves short.

Unfortunately, we are not in a position where we can afford a bad window.

Games of brinkmanship are only good negotiating tactics if you win.

If we bring no other central midfielders in then I see it as a failed window.

Gabriel looks a promising signing in a position we needed to strengthen in but Willian is a good player who was was not a necessity.

We've weakened our GK depth and weakened our midfield depth if Torriera leaves.

We needed central midfielders and it looks increasingly like we will get none unless Edu has a couple of aces up his sleeve.

Post #516749  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:28 pm 

We had 5 players fighting for a wide positions (Aubameyang,Pépé,Nelson, Saka, Martinelli)

Plus 5 centre backs excluding Tierney

Totally desperate for midfielders therefore it makes sense to invest more money this summer in another 2 centre backs and a winger.

Surely that’s a mistake

Post #516750  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:42 pm 

john1 wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I don’t agree that Xhaka is ‘so limited’. I think if he had more pace, then his ‘limitations’ would be far less noticeable. It’s his lack of pace that gets him into trouble and the main reason in my opinion he commits so many ‘silly’ fouls.

Unfortunately with Xhaka he’s too slow between the ears as well.

Post #516751  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:42 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
We had 5 players fighting for a wide positions (Aubameyang,Pépé,Nelson, Saka, Martinelli)

Plus 5 centre backs excluding Tierney

Totally desperate for midfielders therefore it makes sense to invest more money this summer in another 2 centre backs and a winger.

Surely that’s a mistake

We needed better quality CBs so hopefully Gabriel goes some way to addressing that need.

The rationale for buying a winger is only if they are significantly better than what we have and potential gamechangers. Zaha might fit that description but probably not Willian.

The pressing need was for more pace, power and guile in the central midfield area.

Post #516752  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:43 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Sadio Mané tested positive. Wish him well but why couldn't it have shown up before our last prem game.

Nobody got close enough to him, they’ll be fine.

Post #516753  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:45 pm 

Rumours of us trying for Jorginho.

Makes little sense as he lacks pace, power and is not creative either.

Post #516754  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:46 pm 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Nobody got close enough to him, they’ll be fine.

:laughing7:

Post #516755  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:48 pm 

It’ll be a worry if we end up having a poorer window than the toffees and spuds.

Post #516756  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:49 pm 

socrates wrote:

I think you will see Partey coming in as the club have Hobson’s choice now plus a weird signing too. Ie random Brazilian/ chelsea player loan/joorbachin client

Post #516757  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:49 pm 

The irony is that Raul would probably have got some deals done. :laughing7:

Post #516758  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:50 pm 

So E. Cavani to MU. Incredible.

Post #516759  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:52 pm 

Zed wrote:
So E. Cavani to MU. Incredible.

Good deal for them. They are desperate for someone to lead the line

Post #516760  Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:52 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

I think you will see Partey coming in as the club have Hobson’s choice now plus a weird signing too. Ie random Brazilian/ chelsea player loan/joorbachin client

If we couldn't go to £50m for Aouar (with the probable benefit of payments in installments) what makes you think we can pay £45m in a lump sum for Partey?

I hope you are right but I think the chances are higher of some lesser knowns or loans as you suggest.

[ 572005 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12916, 12917, 12918, 12919, 12920, 12921, 12922 ... 14301  Next