Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf and 293 guests

Post #503401  Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:18 pm 

Antonio? Hmm...maybe.

Attachments:

Post #503402  Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:21 pm 

DHD wrote:
I watched the Josh Kroenke interview on SKY. He came across as erudite intelligent and engaging. He answered some pretty tough questions with what seemed to me to be honesty and integrity.

Not sure why I was surprised, but I was. Didn't expect to like him, but I did.

I was going to post exactly that yesterday DH ......then opted to mow the lawns , do it later and got sidetracked .

Clean cut , no spiked / dyed hair , classy suit , clipped to the point answers without a lot of flannel , no over the top "Well now how y'all doin " syrupy American drawl , had a good knowledge of Arsenal ............ like you ; I was very impressed .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVza4WQ ... tsFootball

Post #503403  Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:32 pm 

DHD wrote:
I watched the Josh Kroenke interview on SKY. He came across as erudite intelligent and engaging. He answered some pretty tough questions with what seemed to me to be honesty and integrity.

Not sure why I was surprised, but I was. Didn't expect to like him, but I did.

I've always thought he was much better than his father. I would also go as far as to say, he seems more concerned with winning than his father.

Post #503404  Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:15 pm 

I admit I haven’t seen the interview however if he impresses now it’s to be expected after countless media mistakes.

I guarantee you there’s a strong chance the kroenke mob coined the phrase ‘legacy fan’ as that’s definitely infused with US tech speak so either them or the glazers. It came from Dan roan too who has decent Arsenal connections.

Impressed with our transfer business recently but we still have a plant and stooge as our managing director and Americans giving orders about stuff they know nothing about.

So sorry josh Watch the tv series succession it’s pretty much your life story mate.

Post #503405  Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:10 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
I admit I haven’t seen the interview however if he impresses now it’s to be expected after countless media mistakes.

I guarantee you there’s a strong chance the kroenke mob coined the phrase ‘legacy fan’ as that’s definitely infused with US tech speak so either them or the glazers. It came from Dan roan too who has decent Arsenal connections.

Impressed with our transfer business recently but we still have a plant and stooge as our managing director and Americans giving orders about stuff they know nothing about.

So sorry josh Watch the tv series succession it’s pretty much your life story mate.

Like you I haven’t seen the interview. I’ve noted that DHD and kiwipete were impressed with Josh Kroenke. But apart from coming across well with his speaking and smart appearance, did he say anything about the Kroenke’s ambitions for Arsenal on the pitch to impress so much? Does the ownership regime plan to do everything they can to give the club the best chance to win trophies?

If he’d have said something along those lines with a bit of evidence I might be impressed too. But did he? Look, I accept they let Arsenal spend heavily in the last transfer window. But I’m still not sure whether that was down to Arsenal’s own resources, money lent to them by KSE that will have to be paid back, or financial doping by Stan (if it was the latter I’m sure it would have been at Josh’s request). Only the third would impress me much.

Okay maybe I’m being over-pessimistic but Josh speaks better than his father, is better looking, doesn’t have a wig bought from Asda. It takes a bit more than that to convince me.

Post #503406  Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:46 am 

Josh has been put in charge of one his dad's team before with the intention of making them competitive. That's not been a concern of his father. His university team is the only one who he has ever shown any passion for winning. He wants the LA Rams to do well only in terms of how it will affect the income.

Billionaires in America buy teams for two reasons.

First, to be part of a very exclusive club. There are over 600 billionaires in America, but only 30 people can own an NFL franchise. Zuckerberg may be a far, far bigger billionaire than you many times over, but he doesn't have an NFL team. He may not even want one. Doesn't matter. If he ever does, he can't. Sales of clubs don't happen ever day. There are many people waiting for the chance to own one and the more financially strapped of the owners are constantly being asked if they'd sell.

Why? Second reason. To be able to say 'you' won a Super Bowl and wear that ring, is one of the biggest, exclusive ego boosts in America. (as an aside, sleeping in the Lincoln bedroom at the White House and having a sitting President visit your residence are some of the other reasons.). NE Patriots and Liverpool owner at one time, had his 'stolen' by Putin (he asked to see it and never returned it), who knew the significance of it and it took a personal request from the President for him to let him keep it.

I say all that to say, neither prompted Stan to buy the Rams. It was a business move. Arsenal was purely a business move. No sporting reason whatsoever.

However his son (and Glazer's son) actually do want to win. This is NOT an endorsement. I'd rather keep Americans out of English football for reasons I named prior posts months and years ago. A bonus of coming to football for me was that it was bereft of American owners who ruined my childhood passion. The only exception is they have a passion for it. AG with tens of billions of dollars if I can be immodest. haha (First thing I'd do to paraphrase Dick in Henry VI, Act 4) is "Kill" (metaphorically speaking) all the dead weight" :1laughter:

Josh will be a better owner than Stan. I have every confidence saying that but I'd prefer to have a non American who grew up with football as an owner over him. I'd take Usmanov over him, to emphasize it even more. I'd even prefer Dein as owner and its well documented on here how I feel about his role in Kroenke even being owner.

Joel Glazer is spending money on the Mancs. His dad would have been more reticent to commit those funs. The Emerati, Saudi, oligarch money in the PL is odious but at least they want to win.

Post #503407  Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:01 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Like you I haven’t seen the interview. I’ve noted that DHD and kiwipete were impressed with Josh Kroenke. But apart from coming across well with his speaking and smart appearance, did he say anything about the Kroenke’s ambitions for Arsenal on the pitch to impress so much? Does the ownership regime plan to do everything they can to give the club the best chance to win trophies?

If he’d have said something along those lines with a bit of evidence I might be impressed too. But did he? Look, I accept they let Arsenal spend heavily in the last transfer window. But I’m still not sure whether that was down to Arsenal’s own resources, money lent to them by KSE that will have to be paid back, or financial doping by Stan (if it was the latter I’m sure it would have been at Josh’s request). Only the third would impress me much.

Okay maybe I’m being over-pessimistic but Josh speaks better than his father, is better looking, doesn’t have a wig bought from Asda. It takes a bit more than that to convince me.

:laughing7: :laughing7: you haven't seen the interview ...and you can come up with all that ....??

Truly amazing you two could write movie reviews without ever watching the film / rule on murder cases without hearing a single piece of evidence .

Post #503408  Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:05 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:

:laughing7: :laughing7: you haven't seen the interview ...and you can come up with all that ....??

Truly amazing you two could write movie reviews without ever watching the film / rule on murder cases without hearing a single piece of evidence .

Fair point, kiwi. I think both TG and Bernard would say they've heard a few pieces of evidence about Josh and the Kroenkes (good name for a band); still, it wouldn't have killed them to, you know, actually watch the interview.

Admittedly, I haven't watched the interview either, although I'm only commenting on those who haven't watched the interview commenting on the interview, rather than commenting on the interview - so I think I got away with it.

Post #503409  Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:23 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I did read your and DHD’s posts though. They seemed to be about Josh’s PR being good rather than anything more substantive. I hope Josh will be a better owner than Stan. I certainly expect him to be. But when and if it happens following Stan pegging it, my views will be based more on the evidence of what he does than how well and likeable he comes across in interviews or how smart his appearance is.

Post #503410  Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:14 am 

Am I the only one who can see a fantastic business set up amongst a dingy nest of vipers?

Think back to where we were when Kronke took over, look at where we are now, imo on the cusp of a fantastic revolution.

Arsenal are currently the best team in the league, moving onwards and upwards, hopefully.

Yes bring back AW let him oversee the football let him be the shoulder to lean on for Mikel who has to keep his feet on the ground and take us onwards and upwards.

I'm so proud today to be a gooner, through thick and thin the light at the end of the tunnel is there.

We are a business, football comes first, but boy have we done good, so many people to be proud of including Mikel, Mert, the back room boys, Ed and Co etc etc.

I LOVE THE ARSENAL.

Post #503411  Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:31 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I did read your and DHD’s posts though. They seemed to be about Josh’s PR being good rather than anything more substantive. I hope Josh will be a better owner than Stan. I certainly expect him to be. But when and if it happens following Stan pegging it, my views will be based more on the evidence of what he does than how well and likeable he comes across in interviews or how smart his appearance is.

[YouTube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVza4WQlmpc[/YouTube]

Post #503412  Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:25 am 

Been watching a few Man Utd - Arsenal matches. Hadn't realized we've won a few important matches away there. I really, really hate Rooney, even after he's long gone.

Post #503413  Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:10 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Fair point, kiwi. I think both TG and Bernard would say they've heard a few pieces of evidence about Josh and the Kroenkes (good name for a band); still, it wouldn't have killed them to, you know, actually watch the interview.

Admittedly, I haven't watched the interview either, although I'm only commenting on those who haven't watched the interview commenting on the interview, rather than commenting on the interview - so I think I got away with it.

I watched bits of the the interview since DHD suggested it last night.

I think it’s far more diplomatic communication than before but both josh and our managing director are stooges to a guy that said if he wanted to win titles he wouldnt have got involved at Arsenal. On the new interview josh said the polar opposite, why ? Because he’s been told he can’t obviously say dumb *%^@ like that to football fans and get away with it.

Also I seriously take issue with the comment that they have only been in charge since 2018 or whatever when they attained 100% ownership. Nonsense. They had a controlling stake and kroenke a place on the board he literally controlled since 2008 and it’s a silly attempt to discount a decade of an absolute shitshow of ownership.

Post #503414  Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:22 pm 

Benjamin Mendy: Manchester City defender facing two additional rape charges

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/11/16/foot ... index.html

Post #503415  Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:13 pm 

This from 2 years ago. Be excited.

https://youtu.be/9xKFN2y_ySw

Post #503416  Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:36 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

I think it’s far more diplomatic communication than before but both josh and our managing director are stooges to a guy that said if he wanted to win titles he wouldnt have got involved at Arsenal. On the new interview josh said the polar opposite, why ? Because he’s been told he can’t obviously say dumb *%^@ like that to football fans and get away with it.

Also I seriously take issue with the comment that they have only been in charge since 2018 or whatever when they attained 100% ownership. Nonsense. They had a controlling stake and kroenke a place on the board he literally controlled since 2008 and it’s a silly attempt to discount a decade of an absolute shitshow of ownership.

:laughing7: I'd say TG debating you and Bernie on this issue is a bit of a lost cause , you have both obviously decided the Kroenkes are "wrong uns " and there is no way you are going to change .

I felt exactly the same eighteen months ago everything was wrong in my book , overpaid / underperforming players , turgid playing style , tactics , clueless management , an owner who invokes derision with his moth eaten moustache and ratty toupee

but now Halleluhah .... I see hope , positivity , results , bright young players performing well , all laughing and frolicking around like a bunch of spring lambs .

Now if you and Bernard are hellbent on sitting in the corner like Ena Sharples and Albert Tatlock groaning and moaning into your half pints there is nothing anyone can do about it . :wave:

Post #503417  Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:54 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Am I the only one who can see a fantastic business set up amongst a dingy nest of vipers?

Think back to where we were when Kronke took over, look at where we are now, imo on the cusp of a fantastic revolution.

Arsenal are currently the best team in the league, moving onwards and upwards, hopefully.

Yes bring back AW let him oversee the football let him be the shoulder to lean on for Mikel who has to keep his feet on the ground and take us onwards and upwards.

I'm so proud today to be a gooner, through thick and thin the light at the end of the tunnel is there.

We are a business, football comes first, but boy have we done good, so many people to be proud of including Mikel, Mert, the back room boys, Ed and Co etc etc.

I LOVE THE ARSENAL.

You were doing okay there Bubble until you typed the bit "Yes bring back AW "' .

Mama Mia what a horrific suggestion , Arsene was completely clueless in his final four years .

That thought has thrown a "wet blanket of gloom over my morning I'm off to join Bernard and Top Gun in the snug .... bartender "give us a triple rum dash of coke

Post #503418  Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:18 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

:laughing7: I'd say TG debating you and Bernie on this issue is a bit of a lost cause , you have both obviously decided the Kroenkes are "wrong uns " and there is no way you are going to change .

I felt exactly the same eighteen months ago everything was wrong in my book , overpaid / underperforming players , turgid playing style , tactics , clueless management , an owner who invokes derision with his moth eaten moustache and ratty toupee

but now Halleluhah .... I see hope , positivity , results , bright young players performing well , all laughing and frolicking around like a bunch of spring lambs .

Now if you and Bernard are hellbent on sitting in the corner like Ena Sharples and Albert Tatlock groaning and moaning into your half pints there is nothing anyone can do about it . :wave:

Bundy night in the kiwi house is it :53big-emoticons:

Post #503419  Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:43 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

:laughing7: Gidday McQ ..... think you have that slightly wrong ....ït would kill them to watch the interview .

as you can see from Bernard's laudly from high dismissive " it takes a bit more than that to convince me "

I mean how cool is that ........ I can hear Clint Eastwood muttering that in "High Plains Drifter "

Post #503420  Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:53 am 

Hey Warrior .... while you are sitting there clipping your toe nails , throwing bread to the pigeons .....

Question what is happening with my computer .

I log on the Gleiber ; type name and pasword it says you have logged in when I click on message it sends me back to log on again it always takes two attempts to log on .
Then when typing exclamation marks in a post ..nothing happens .......... type them again and two sets appear .

It's no biggy just curious as to why ........ .... thanks

Post #503421  Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:23 am 

Hi

The link you are using doesn't contain the 's' - for the secure site.

Use this link and update your bookmark :

https://stevegleiber.com/forum/

Re: The quotes - Are you using a normal kb with US/UK layout from a computer ?

Post #503422  Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:01 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:

I have actually watched it now. A very polished performance in terms of saying the right thing. But it still struck me that Josh must have been taking lessons from Ivan Gazidis in talking a lot without actually saying anything. Came across as a likeable guy but I agree with Top Gun that KSE’s record as owners should be taken from the death of Fiszman when Danny let Stan became the majority owner, with approaching two-thirds of the shares. From that point the club was under his control and what he said went. I’m not a lawyer but how did becoming the 100% owner in 2018 or whenever it was give the Kroenke’s any more control than they had anyway?

Josh spoke of the club’s ambitions to get back into the Champions League. But in my view that’s the least a club of Arsenal’s size should want. Winning it should be the aim. He talked about the heavy transfer expenditure. He wasn’t asked and didn’t say where the money came from.

A skilled PR man and in that respect miles better than his father. But did Josh actually say anything that any smooth talker couldn’t? I’m not so sure.

Post #503423  Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:49 pm 

warrior wrote:
Hi

The link you are using doesn't contain the 's' - for the secure site.

Use this link and update your bookmark :

https://stevegleiber.com/forum/

Re: The quotes - Are you using a normal kb with US/UK layout from a computer ?

Thanks Big Guy ...... :laughing7: just a sideline didn't seem a problem in yesteryear but these days when afflicted with lumbago , sciatica . gonorrhea , arthritis , rubella , herpes and other maladies yet to be discovered by science .....

.. clipping your own goddamn toe nails can be quite a mission .

Post #503424  Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:19 pm 

Bernard wrote:
I have actually watched it now. A very polished performance in terms of saying the right thing. But it still struck me that Josh must have been taking lessons from Ivan Gazidis in talking a lot without actually saying anything. Came across as a likeable guy but I agree with Top Gun that KSE’s record as owners should be taken from the death of Fiszman when Danny let Stan became the majority owner, with approaching two-thirds of the shares. From that point the club was under his control and what he said went. I’m not a lawyer but how did becoming the 100% owner in 2018 or whenever it was give the Kroenke’s any more control than they had anyway?

Josh spoke of the club’s ambitions to get back into the Champions League. But in my view that’s the least a club of Arsenal’s size should want. Winning it should be the aim. He talked about the heavy transfer expenditure. He wasn’t asked and didn’t say where the money came from.

A skilled PR man and in that respect miles better than his father. But did Josh actually say anything that any smooth talker couldn’t? I’m not so sure.

Hmmm ... so Bernard he puts in a polished performance says the right things and you are still unconvinced ....... would you prefer he said "Nah we couldn't give a sh**&^t about the Champions League we just want to make heaps of money "

You've got him nailed to the crucifix which ever way he rolls .

He didn't mention this and that ........ He only answered the questions that were put in front him .... why on earth wander off on some meandering dialogue dribbling and simpering about other topics .

You take issue with him not mentioning winning the Champions League ............ Good Grief it goes without saying if you are in the competition you want to win it :laughing7:

"A club of our stature " Barcelona , Real Madrid , Bayern , Man City , Man U , Liverpool , Chelsea , PSG , Juventus soon Newcastle there's ten clubs that have a lot more clout than we have .

Anyway I thought you'd love the guy ... he gave Mertesacker a mention . :icon_mrgreen1:

Post #503425  Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:41 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Hmmm ... so Bernard he puts in a polished performance says the right things and you are still unconvinced ....... would you prefer he said "Nah we couldn't give a sh**&^t about the Champions League we just want to make heaps of money "

You've got him nailed to the crucifix which ever way he rolls .

He didn't mention this and that ........ He only answered the questions that were put in front him .... why on earth wander off on some meandering dialogue dribbling and simpering about other topics .

You take issue with him not mentioning winning the Champions League ............ Good Grief it goes without saying if you are in the competition you want to win it :laughing7:

"A club of our stature " Barcelona , Real Madrid , Bayern , Man City , Man U , Liverpool , Chelsea , PSG , Juventus soon Newcastle there's ten clubs that have a lot more clout than we have .

Anyway I thought you'd love the guy ... he gave Mertesacker a mention . :icon_mrgreen1:

What do you call more clout? Arsenal have one of the biggest fan bases in European football and one of the richest owners.

What did he say that made you like him so much? It was an exercise in public relations. A successful one but an accomplished interview where he presumably told the person putting the questions what he wanted to be asked (as it was at the Emirates I assume he was an Arsenal employee) is not the best opportunity to rate him highly or lowly.

The best reason we have is the record since KSE have controlled the club, which is now nearer eleven years than ten. Hopefully things will improve to new heights. If it does I’ll be praising Josh as much as anyone.

Post #503426  Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:43 am 

Bernard wrote:
What do you call more clout? Arsenal have one of the biggest fan bases in European football and one of the richest owners.

What did he say that made you like him so much? It was an exercise in public relations.

A successful one but an accomplished interview where he presumably told the person putting the questions what he wanted to be asked .

More clout ...? Okay here we go ..... we are desperate to get a player .... any of Liverpool , Man U , Man City , Barcelona , Bayern , Real Madrid , Chelsea feel the same way ; what are the chances of him coming to the Emirates ....?

Scripted questions he wanted to be asked ? ........ his name is Josh Kroenke not Joe Biden ... would he want to be asked about that Super League debacle .

"why do I like him so much" ......... I'm not rapturously in love with the dude ; as you are with Steve Williams , Alan Hudson , Gael Clichy , Per Mertesacker

I just thought he came across as quite a sharp sensible cookie and not the slimy glib bottom feeder I'd imagined .

Post #503427  Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:01 am 

kiwipete wrote:

I log on the Gleiber ; type name and pasword it says you have logged in when I click on message it sends me back to log on again it always takes two attempts to log on .
Then when typing exclamation marks in a post ..nothing happens .......... type them again and two sets appear .

That would be the forum's new anti-bullshit software that keeps kicking you out :laughing7:

Post #503428  Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:16 am 

socrates wrote:
That would be the forum's new anti-bullshit software that keeps kicking you out :laughing7:

If true, there'd be no one left !

Post #503429  Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:05 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:

What did he say that made you like him so much? It was an exercise in public relations.

A successful one but an accomplished interview where he presumably told the person putting the questions what he wanted to be asked .

More clout ...? Okay here we go ..... we are desperate to get a player .... any of Liverpool , Man U , Man City , Barcelona , Bayern , Real Madrid , Chelsea feel the same way ; what are the chances of him coming to the Emirates ....?

Scripted questions he wanted to be asked ? ........ his name is Josh Kroenke not Joe Biden ... would he want to be asked about that Super League debacle .

"why do I like him so much" ......... I'm not rapturously in love with the dude ; as you are with Steve Williams , Alan Hudson , Gael Clichy , Per Mertesacker

I just thought he came across as quite a sharp sensible cookie and not the slimy glib bottom feeder I'd imagined .

Okay, maybe we’re not as far apart in our views. I would agree he didn’t come across as a “sllimy glib bottom feeder”. He did come across “as quite a sharp sensible cookie”. That’s my point. It was a good PR job, although as Top Gun correctly said it was ridiculous for him to only count the ownership record of the Kroenke’s since they attained 100% of the shares.

Their record has to date back to the early months of 2011 when Fiszman on his deathbed enabled KSE to have a majority shareholding of well above 60%. That’s when Stan gained control of the club, and that’s when their record as owners should count from. So what’s now approaching eleven years.

Arsenal are a big enough club with a worldwide fan base that goes way beyond everyone except a select few. Tottenham reached the final in 2019. It’s still only 2021. I don’t see how Arsenal aren’t a bigger club than Tottenham. Comfortably bigger, even though Tottenham themselves are a big club. Also, the Kroenke’s wealth should enable Arsenal to compete at the top level of the game.

Steve Williams is my favourite ever player. But I don’t love him. Nor do I love Alan Hudson whose talent was comparable to practically every Arsenal player I’ve seen. Nor do I Gael Clichy, who you once said was better than Monreal, which I disagree with. Nor do I Per Mertesacker, even though he was a fine player. I like them all and appreciate them. But do I love them? No chance.

Post #503430  Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:11 am 

kiwipete wrote:

I agree.

Post #503431  Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:22 pm 

I'm so happy for Vieira. I really hope it continues. I like him and the club, I've had a soft spot for. He's got a couple big scalps on his CV as manager already beating the scum and City.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59270789

Post #503432  Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:59 pm 

DHD wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I agree.

I thought Josh came across quite well though admitedly the bar was very low due to some of the cackhanded shenanigans of KSE's ownership. As such I will need a lot more convincing that they have what it takes to manage Arsenal back to the top of English football. Specifically, I need to see actions and not words, and to be fair they seem to have upped their game.
I thought his claim of only owning Arsenal since they bought out Usmanov was disingenous. Perhaps worse was his request not to be judged solely on a 2 day period when the Super League was being proposed. It obvioulsy involved months, perhaps even years of planning to get to the point where they publicly announced it.

Post #503433  Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:02 pm 

bubblechris wrote:

I LOVE THE ARSENAL.

I struggle a bit with why people are so anti when it comes to the Kroenkes. The post-Wenger transition was always going to be difficult. Look at United after Fergy ... AND they are able to throw endless $$$ at the problem.

The fact that Stan is silent should be of no consequence. The eloquence of this offspring of his is nice, but frankly what counts is that Arteta and co have been given a long rope and enough of a budget to make a go of it.

It may well go pear-shaped. But, damn, it is great to see the like of Saka, Smith Rowe, Ramsdale, White, Gabriel, etc etc etc.

And Arteta. What a guy. Class.

I'm barely able to wait for the Liverpool game, come what may. The interlull has been pure torture.

Post #503434  Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:12 pm 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Okay, maybe we’re not as far apart in our views. I would agree he didn’t come across as a “sllimy glib bottom feeder”. He did come across “as quite a sharp sensible cookie”. That’s my point. It was a good PR job, although as Top Gun correctly said it was ridiculous for him to only count the ownership record of the Kroenke’s since they attained 100% of the shares.

Their record has to date back to the early months of 2011 when Fiszman on his deathbed enabled KSE to have a majority shareholding of well above 60%. That’s when Stan gained control of the club, and that’s when their record as owners should count from. So what’s now approaching eleven years.

Arsenal are a big enough club with a worldwide fan base that goes way beyond everyone except a select few. Tottenham reached the final in 2019. It’s still only 2021. I don’t see how Arsenal aren’t a bigger club than Tottenham. Comfortably bigger, even though Tottenham themselves are a big club. Also, the Kroenke’s wealth should enable Arsenal to compete at the top level of the game.

Steve Williams is my favourite ever player. But I don’t love him. Nor do I love Alan Hudson whose talent was comparable to practically every Arsenal player I’ve seen. Nor do I Gael Clichy, who you once said was better than Monreal, which I disagree with. Nor do I Per Mertesacker, even though he was a fine player. I like them all and appreciate them. But do I love them? No chance.

I don't know if there is any point dwelling on the whole period from 2011. The club has certainly made some mistakes. Wenger was allowed to stay on too long (a very difficult one given his status) and Emery was a gamble that didn't work. Similarly, comparing us with Spurs is pointless. Spurs had a great run, as teams of their calibre have from time to time, but won exactly nothing, while we bagged a couple of FA cups while still in disarray.

What matters is how we are being run now. If there is commitment, and lessons have been learned, past mistakes and ^^(*&R8ing Tottenham are irrelevant.

Post #503435  Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:18 pm 

socrates wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

:laughing7: :laughing7: This is what we missed with Kiwi's flounce. Classic stuff :1laughter:

I'm dying to hear the latest results of his unique fusion of homeopathy and welding.

Post #503436  Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:19 pm 

Will need plenty of convincing on Saturday.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... l-25483978

Post #503437  Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:37 pm 

Decaf wrote:
I don't know if there is any point dwelling on the whole period from 2011. The club has certainly made some mistakes. Wenger was allowed to stay on too long (a very difficult one given his status) and Emery was a gamble that didn't work. Similarly, comparing us with Spurs is pointless. Spurs had a great run, as teams of their calibre have from time to time, but won exactly nothing, while we bagged a couple of FA cups while still in disarray.

What matters is how we are being run now. If there is commitment, and lessons have been learned, past mistakes and ^^(*&R8ing Tottenham are irrelevant.

The reason I brought Tottenham up is that a mere two years ago they were a 90 minute game, and we’ve seen countless times that anything can happen in a single match, from winning the Champions League. I thus didn’t think it right to excuse not mentioning that we want to be in it to win it, rather than being in it for the money which Josh did speak of.

It has to be relevant to assess the record of the Kroenke regime over the full period of their control (approaching eleven years) rather than when they gained 100% of the shares through legally obliging small shareholders like me to sell up. The latter record is only part of the picture. The important factor has to be the overall record, and that’s what I’m going to consider. There will no doubt have been serial killers who showed acts of kindness to parents or whoever a day or two before their arrest. That doesn’t excuse the murders they committed before that.

Post #503438  Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:15 pm 

socrates wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

:42laughter: :53big-emoticons: very good

Post #503439  Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:27 pm 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Good post .... our views are similar ....... okay let's have a little man hug here and make up

Jesus steady on Bernard ................I'm not really into that maxi effusive French multiple kisses thing with men

Post #503440  Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:24 pm 

A former Arsenal player, Giovanni van Bronckhorst, has been appointed the new manager at Glasgow Rangers, replacing Steven Gerrard.

Good luck to him.

[ 537937 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12583, 12584, 12585, 12586, 12587, 12588, 12589 ... 13449  Next