Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:51 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, warrior and 415 guests

Post #471441  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:42 am 

Some years ago on this forum we used to keep a tally of all the players 'rumoured' to be coming to Arsenal during the close season. The names and the numbers of them was always fantastical. By contrast every year Arsene used to say he was after just two three new faces, and that is mostly what happened. He has said the same this time, and one has already signed. Don't expect many more.

Post #471442  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:29 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Gotta keep Alexis and Bellerin. Gotta fight to keep them. Its the marginal players we need to get rid of. Is Mbappe worth that much? Really? Ive seen him play and he's great. I'd make a cheeky 50 mil bid for Martial for example. even 60 mil I love his upside potential.

I like that we bought a defender. The other 5 main rival sides had a better goals against than we did (44). We had the same as Everton! You have to go 8 deep in the table to find a worse goals against. That's a huge issue with me. Shockingly, Mourinho's Man Utd had the leagues best goals against (29) second only to Tottenham but ended up 6th. Which means they didn't score enough.

pervert

Post #471443  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:04 am 

Abu wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Gotta keep Alexis and Bellerin. Gotta fight to keep them. Its the marginal players we need to get rid of. Is Mbappe worth that much? Really? Ive seen him play and he's great. I'd make a cheeky 50 mil bid for Martial for example. even 60 mil I love his upside potential.

I like that we bought a defender. The other 5 main rival sides had a better goals against than we did (44). We had the same as Everton! You have to go 8 deep in the table to find a worse goals against. That's a huge issue with me. Shockingly, Mourinho's Man Utd had the leagues best goals against (29) second only to Tottenham but ended up 6th. Which means they didn't score enough.

pervert

persistent

Post #471444  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:19 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Yeah sounds like bellerina is off. One for the "don't sign young Spanish players because they always want to go home " theory

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 75311.html

Not buying it...sounds like a series of answers to specific and different questions cobbled together. The fact is, he was rubbishing the move only weeks ago, has 6 years left on his contract, and our financial situation is such that we don't need to sell anyone under contract, not like before. Add in the fact that as one of the 6 best young full-backs in Europe, he's actually probably out of Barca's financial reach. The only way this happens is if the player burns all his bridges to force a move, which seems unlikely given Bellerin's prior comments, or if Barca offer silly money or amazing options in a swap.

I'll be amazed if this happens.

Post #471445  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:27 am 

Decaf wrote:
lomekian wrote:

And shooting with his left foot. If you could combine Welbeck's mobility, athleticism and workrate with a left foot like Podolski's you'd have a world beater.

Sadly you can't. You need to find these attributes in one player. And you won't find that player in the bargain basement section.

Indeed. Particularly as Podolski strikes a ball better than 99% of all players at the top level of world football.

Post #471446  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:28 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Yeah sounds like bellerina is off. One for the "don't sign young Spanish players because they always want to go home " theory

Shouldn't have signed a six year contract then, should he? He may well prefer to go, but I don't get the impression he's agitating as extremely as Fabregas did to secure the move. If I had to bet on it my money would go on Bellerin still being an Arsenal player next season.

Having said that, I doubt he'll be an Arsenal player for too much longer after that. Didn't someone say a while back that Bellerin is more acclimatised to life in London (however he put it) so could stay for the longer term? Can't recall who it was, but I'm fairly sure someone did. Whoever it was, I wouldn't bet that their idea will prove to be right.

Ultimately it will depend on how the team does. I reckon there's a good chance he'll stay long term if the team can achieve the level we all expect that it should, that of challenging more regularly.

Post #471447  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:45 am 

So, if someone yells "F*ck you, I'm Arsenal" its more or less respect? :icon_mrgreen:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/ ... 95151.html

Post #471448  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:46 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Some years ago on this forum we used to keep a tally of all the players 'rumoured' to be coming to Arsenal during the close season. The names and the numbers of them was always fantastical. By contrast every year Arsene used to say he was after just two three new faces, and that is mostly what happened. He has said the same this time, and one has already signed. Don't expect many more.

Let me totally disagree with your statement ánd one has already signed'. Whilst I did not see the article myself Daz sent a post on 31 May in which he said the words used by the club were "We will work very hard to find the additions of top, top quality. I believe that our squad is very strong and we will only look for top-class people who can strengthen our team now...".

This signing is no where near top quality. I ask again were Bayern, Juventus, Barca, Real chasing him because if not he is another almost was. He clearly is not a top top quality signing. Every word uttered by the board and Wenger will be repeated back to them this season. We clearly need 3 top players in addition to replacements for Bellerin, Özil, Ox or Sanchez should any of them go.

As was pointed out on the Daily Cannon podcast we need a number of top signings to just stay up with the transfer activity of our competitors but then we need to actually catch up to them as well.

Do i expect many signings of course not. Nothing has changed from season after season. We don't ever go the whole step. Ahla Suarez. Even Mbappe, where we apparently bid less than Real, is a carefully concocted smokescreen to allow Wenger, the supreme being, to say they tried to get him. In the future Wenger will tell us he tried to sign Messi and Mbappe. If he is serious just up the bid. If Mbappe is sold then the truth is out there.

Hoy, I suggest you do not answer the emails from Nigeria seeking your bank account details because if you believe what Wenger states and you yourself believe this is a top top quality signing you are vulnerable.

Post #471449  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:02 pm 

lomekian wrote:
Ultimately it will depend on how the team does. I reckon there's a good chance he'll stay long term if the team can achieve the level we all expect that it should, that of challenging more regularly.

You may well be right. But that could easily be a big 'if' with Wenger presumably staying at least another two years.

Post #471450  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:10 pm 

lomekian wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Not buying it...sounds like a series of answers to specific and different questions cobbled together. The fact is, he was rubbishing the move only weeks ago, has 6 years left on his contract, and our financial situation is such that we don't need to sell anyone under contract, not like before. Add in the fact that as one of the 6 best young full-backs in Europe, he's actually probably out of Barca's financial reach. The only way this happens is if the player burns all his bridges to force a move, which seems unlikely given Bellerin's prior comments, or if Barca offer silly money or amazing options in a swap.

When I read it, it seemed like the interviewer was trying to push him into saying he wants to join Barcelona, or at least give answers where that could be assumed.

Post #471451  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:20 pm 

Decaf wrote:
lomekian wrote:

And shooting with his left foot. If you could combine Welbeck's mobility, athleticism and workrate with a left foot like Podolski's you'd have a world beater.

Sadly you can't. You need to find these attributes in one player.

Certainly, finding these attributes in one player would be preferable to two. In fact, finding them in two is almost worthless. Wenger must have known that when he signed Welbeck and Podolski that they weren't one player, but, in fact, two separate players. What was he thinking? In the Invincibles era, he almost certainly wouldn't have made such a simple numerical error.

Post #471452  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:46 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I ask again were Bayern, Juventus, Barca, Real chasing him because if not he is another almost was.

I’m sorry, but this is a ridiculous standard. As if no other club signs great players.

Post #471453  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:50 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
I ask again were Bayern, Juventus, Barca, Real chasing him because if not he is another almost was.

I’m sorry, but this is a ridiculous standard. As if no other club signs great players.

Particularly when you look at those clubs and see that they have absolutely no need for another left back.

Post #471454  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:35 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Let me totally disagree with your statement ánd one has already signed'. Whilst I did not see the article myself Daz sent a post on 31 May in which he said the words used by the club were "We will work very hard to find the additions of top, top quality. I believe that our squad is very strong and we will only look for top-class people who can strengthen our team now...".

This signing is no where near top quality. I ask again were Bayern, Juventus, Barca, Real chasing him because if not he is another almost was. He clearly is not a top top quality signing. Every word uttered by the board and Wenger will be repeated back to them this season. We clearly need 3 top players in addition to replacements for Bellerin, Özil, Ox or Sanchez should any of them go.

As was pointed out on the Daily Cannon podcast we need a number of top signings to just stay up with the transfer activity of our competitors but then we need to actually catch up to them as well.

Do i expect many signings of course not. Nothing has changed from season after season. We don't ever go the whole step. Ahla Suarez. Even Mbappe, where we apparently bid less than Real, is a carefully concocted smokescreen to allow Wenger, the supreme being, to say they tried to get him. In the future Wenger will tell us he tried to sign Messi and Mbappe. If he is serious just up the bid. If Mbappe is sold then the truth is out there.

Hoy, I suggest you do not answer the emails from Nigeria seeking your bank account details because if you believe what Wenger states and you yourself believe this is a top top quality signing you are vulnerable.
You seem to have completely missed the point of my post, which was that experience tells us not to believe all you read about potential transfers and then use it as a stick to beat the club with when it doesn't happen! Three signings is par for the course for us - has been for years.

You obviously have far greater knowledge of our new man than I do. I'll be honest and admit that until the last few weeks I had never heard of him. I presume you have had an eye on him for years? For the moment I bow to your judgement that he is not 'top quality', but I will reserve the right to remind you of your views if he turns out to be a good 'un. Out of interest who would you have signed as an alternative?

To reverse your top quality argument does the fact that Barca, Real, Juve and Bayern respectively let go Sanchez, Özil, Pogba and Khedira mean they are selling-platers?

Post #471455  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:39 pm 

He's moved on since banging in those important goals back in '98.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40189690

Post #471456  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:49 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
He's moved on since banging in those important goals back in '98.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40189690

:53big-emoticons:

Post #471457  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:02 pm 

Here's a good one ...

Alexis Sanchez will complete move to Man City in coming days

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/814183/Alexis-Sanchez-Manchester-City-transfer-news-Arsenal

Post #471458  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:18 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

I don't think he'll go this summer but I'd be tempted if they put in a huge bid. However I doubt their offer if they even make one, will be anywhere near what AW values him at. If Barca do bid £45m plus then it might not be so bad to take the cash and invest it in a rb with more physical presence and with the ability to cross a decent ball.

Post #471459  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:21 pm 

Bernard wrote:
lomekian wrote:

When I read it, it seemed like the interviewer was trying to push him into saying he wants to join Barcelona, or at least give answers where that could be assumed.

There's another set of quotes saying his family has gone back to Barcelona and it will change the dynamic of his stay with Arsenal. Sounds like he's agitating for a move and will be off.

Good riddance I say, he always had that Reyesy look about him where he was going to be off the first chance he saw and ox is a better player anyway.

NothIng less than 50million please arsene and no more cry baby spaniards

Post #471460  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:27 pm 

Chesney to juve for 14m is another sound piece of business if it happens. Bye bye you cocky *%^@ well take that money in a heartbeat.

The other one mooted in the press that sounds excellent is Gibbs to Newcastle for and I quote 15 million quid, woohoo kerching. Let's rack up some dollar cash money for this deadwood

Post #471461  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:29 pm 

Ospina might be lacking a bit of height to be a really top keeper in this country but he is still a very good goalkeeper who has performed very well on the world and Champions league stages. To sell him for £3m in the current market would be ridiculous. To then sell Szczesny for £14m is plain daft. He's got to be worth at least another £10m. We'd then have to overpay for a replacement. I'm sorry but despite some of his previous immature antics, Szczesny is still a superior player to keepers like Pickford and is older and hopefully more mature now. It just wouldn't make sense especially when we have other positions that need prioritising. We shouldn't be wasting money on a keeper.

Post #471462  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:02 pm 

Sabir wrote:
Ospina might be lacking a bit of height to be a really top keeper in this country but he is still a very good goalkeeper who has performed very well on the world and Champions league stages. To sell him for £3m in the current market would be ridiculous. To then sell Szczesny for £14m is plain daft. He's got to be worth at least another £10m. We'd then have to overpay for a replacement. I'm sorry but despite some of his previous immature antics, Szczesny is still a superior player to keepers like Pickford and is older and hopefully more mature now. It just wouldn't make sense especially when we have other positions that need prioritising. We shouldn't be wasting money on a keeper.

I agree with you Sabir. I can understand Ospina being sold because, as you imply, he's possibly too short to be a top keeper in England. As a result he doesn't dominate the area and I go into panic mode every time the ball comes into our area in the air. As I think lomekian said a while back, that suggests he might be better suited to leagues abroad as high crosses are probably more common in England. But £3m would be ridiculous.

I also agree with you about Szczesny. He's a highly talented keeper who has presumably matured in Italy if Juventus want him. To sell him for £14m seems crazy. Was our chief transfer negotiator Dick Law poached from Aldi or the Poundshop?

Post #471463  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:09 pm 

Sab agreed.
3 million and 14 million for Ospina and Chesney are ridiculous.
What idiot negotiates our transfers??!!
Ospina should be going for 10 to 15 million and Chesney 20 to 25 million.
Im not even sure we should be selling him.
Bring him back and let him challenge Čech.
Why the hell should juventus get the benefits of his peak years.
I think Chesney would come back if promised the no 1 slot but cant see wenger doing that. No way he is coming back to sit on the bench.

Post #471464  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:16 pm 

If the Ox signs a new contract as i hope he does id be open to letting Bellerin go for 45 million minimum and reinvest the money. Its clear his long term future isnt here if his family have gone back to spain. So eventually he will go.
But only if the Ox stays. He has looked very good in the wing back role.

Post #471465  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:18 pm 

And if sanchez is going getting it done quickly.
And out of the country
No drawn out sagas this summer please

Post #471466  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:09 pm 

Ox at RB? Does he want to for a start, is he willing to commit to the position and develop the requisite skills, especially defending. Attack wise, as a full back he is better than Bellerin. I like Bellerin more. His pace, he's a better defender and is an asset in attack if not as good as Ox. He puts in a better cross as well. If Bellerin's mind is set and he's pulling a 'Fabregas' so be it. Can't blame someone for wanting to play for their hometown club and that club being no worse than 2nd or 3rd best club in the world.

Walcott can go IF he fetches a really good price. Not sure what that price is but its not cheap. Welbeck and Girouid are good back ups for a top, top striker if either are okay with that role. Monreal will need replacing soon as he is on the other side of 30 and Gibbs is not that player.

Centrally, we seem somewhat sorted. Cazorla is on his last legs. Čech needs to be challenged as well. Go for a very good prospect that can learn under him.

Post #471467  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:27 pm 

david.d wrote:
If the Ox signs a new contract as i hope he does id be open to letting Bellerin go for 45 million minimum and reinvest the money. Its clear his long term future isnt here if his family have gone back to spain. So eventually he will go.
But only if the Ox stays. He has looked very good in the wing back role.

I might not read the obvious conclusion into Bellerins family moving back to Spain. When he moved here he was a child, makes absolute sense that his family would move too. Now that he is very much an adult, being able to make all his own stupid hairstyle choices, and long established as first choice and raking it in, they probably rightly thought he might not need their support in the same way. I'm sure he doesn't live with them so they've got no need to stay here anymore. Unless Barca bid more than 45-50m I can't see him going at all.

Post #471468  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:28 pm 

david.d wrote:
And if sanchez is going getting it done quickly.
And out of the country
No drawn out sagas this summer please

I'd do the opposite and refuse to sell until we have added more firepower. Without that we are totally screwed

Post #471469  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:37 pm 

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... outhampton

Liverpool officially end their interest in Van Dijk and apologise to Southampton for their conduct. Sounds like Liverpool knew they had broken a few rules and Saints reporting them to the premier league or FA would have been bad news for them so they decided to pull out than risk a bigger punishment.

Post #471470  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:40 pm 

I can't see Wenger making any central defence signings even though we've moved to a 3 man back line which would normally require more CB to choose from. Wenger made a point when talking about Kolasinac that he sees Monreal playing a fair bit in a 3 man back line. So if you add Monreal and the returning Chambers to our current CB list you end up with Kos, Mert, Mustafi, gabriel, Holding, Monreal, Chambers. In numbers terms that is more than enough for 3 positions

Post #471471  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:50 pm 

Rich wrote:
I can't see Wenger making any central defence signings even though we've moved to a 3 man back line which would normally require more CB to choose from. Wenger made a point when talking about Kolasinac that he sees Monreal playing a fair bit in a 3 man back line. So if you add Monreal and the returning Chambers to our current CB list you end up with Kos, Mert, Mustafi, gabriel, Holding, Monreal, Chambers. In numbers terms that is more than enough for 3 positions

I would agree and happy really in terms of quality.

Post #471472  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:17 pm 

Rich wrote:
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/10907645/liverpool-end-virgil-van-dijk-interest-and-apologise-to-southampton

Liverpool officially end their interest in Van Dijk and apologise to Southampton for their conduct. Sounds like Liverpool knew they had broken a few rules and Saints reporting them to the premier league or FA would have been bad news for them so they decided to pull out than risk a bigger punishment.

I know, bit mad innit? First ever statement I've heard of its kind. Maybe Barca should copy and paste it and enact it retrospectively for every player they've ever signed for us. Bastardos. Glad Liverpool aren't signing him anyway, seems a very good youngish CB.

Post #471473  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:03 pm 

Rich wrote:
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/10907645/liverpool-end-virgil-van-dijk-interest-and-apologise-to-southampton

I know it goes on everywhere but over the years Liverpool have had a lot more previous than other clubs, or cases where they got sanctioned. Ziege, Kenwyne Jones, that kid from Stoke, I think there were others and now VVD. They've been fined and warned in the past, I'm sure some legal lines had been crossed and didn't want something more serious ie a transfer ban which is why they put out that unusual statement.

Post #471474  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:05 pm 

david.d wrote:

That's what I was hoping would happen. Did you see Pickford's kicking when he played at the Emirates? Atrocious! This kind of signing just reminds me of Richard Wright.

Post #471475  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:15 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Was our chief transfer negotiator Dick Law poached from Aldi or the Poundshop?

Lidl!
Ospina is a good shot stopper but imagine 10 minutes remaining with a one goal lead, the opposition start aerially bombarding us, Ospina just isn't the man to see us home. And I've noticed he picks up injuries way too easily. A good gk but I'd be happy for him to move on. Just not for three bloody million quid.
I think people forget how good Szczesny is. He did some stupid stuff as well as make a few high profile gaffs but he is a top keeper and he proved it in Italy. There was a game when he played against the Germans a while back when he looked absolutely incredible, one of the best displays I had seen. I really thought he would be our keeper for the next decade. Ok things don't always work out but sell him for a decent fee. Not sell him cheap and then pay over the odds for a less talented player. No way is Pickford an improvement on Szczesny.

Post #471476  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:16 pm 

Sabir wrote:
david.d wrote:

That's what I was hoping would happen. Did you see Pickford's kicking when he played at the Emirates? Atrocious! This kind of signing just reminds me of Richard Wright.

Pickford's a good shot stopper. But as well as being very poor at distributing the ball, he's almost as bad as Ospina when the ball is crossed into his area in the air.

Post #471477  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:22 pm 

Sabir wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Lidl!

I meant Lidl. Forgot their name and confused them with Aldi.

Post #471478  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:23 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Monreal will need replacing soon as he is on the other side of 30 and Gibbs is not that player.

I agree Gibbs is not that player but that's why we signed Kolasinac.

Post #471479  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:33 pm 

Sabir wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Lidl!
Ospina is a good shot stopper but imagine 10 minutes remaining with a one goal lead, the opposition start aerially bombarding us, Ospina just isn't the man to see us home. And I've noticed he picks up injuries way too easily. A good gk but I'd be happy for him to move on. Just not for three bloody million quid.
I think people forget how good Szczesny is. He did some stupid stuff as well as make a few high profile gaffs but he is a top keeper and he proved it in Italy. There was a game when he played against the Germans a while back when he looked absolutely incredible, one of the best displays I had seen. I really thought he would be our keeper for the next decade. Ok things don't always work out but sell him for a decent fee. Not sell him cheap and then pay over the odds for a less talented player. No way is Pickford an improvement on Szczesny.

I like Szczesny. Will be disappointed to see him go. Čech is only 35 so will still be our no. 1 for another couple of seasons I guess. Pity the timing is not quite right for Szczesny to take over - he's done well at Roma.

Post #471480  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:25 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

There's another set of quotes saying his family has gone back to Barcelona and it will change the dynamic of his stay with Arsenal. Sounds like he's agitating for a move and will be off.

Good riddance I say, he always had that Reyesy look about him where he was going to be off the first chance he saw and ox is a better player anyway.

NothIng less than 50million please arsene and no more cry baby spaniards

Perhaps read the interview before castigating the player. The quotes are a cobbled together mess of an interview that contained 12 seperate questions trying to make him sound like he was off to Barca. We all know what they do, they try to turn fans against a player to facilitate a cheaper move.

[ 572035 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11784, 11785, 11786, 11787, 11788, 11789, 11790 ... 14301  Next