Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:00 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: bubblechris, warrior and 410 guests

Post #471401  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:25 am 

Sead Kolasinac signs for Arsenal from Schalke on free transfer

http://www.espnfc.com/story/3139409/sead-kolasinac-signs-for-arsenal-from-schalke-on-free-transfer

Post #471402  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:33 am 

I mean seriously buy lukaku for 70m and save the other 52 million for a keeper who can save a penalty or a midfielder to replace santi.

What's also funny is it's all irrelevant anyway as we have Wenger as our manager and he'll never set the team up right.

Looking forward to watching mbappe play wing back next year

Post #471403  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:36 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
I mean seriously buy lukaku for 70m and save the other 52 million for a keeper who can save a penalty or a midfielder to replace santi.

What's also funny is it's all irrelevant anyway as we have Wenger as our manager and he'll never set the team up right.

What do you mean keeper?.........Mbappe is our new keeper. :laughing7:

Post #471404  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:36 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
This is an interesting transfer because on Arseblog or one of the other podcasts a guest from the BBC (I think) was discussing him and they asked what they thought of him. He noted that he was in the team of the season but said he was not an upgrade on Monreal. I know nothing about him but if Bayern weren't chasing him I think that may be indicative of his abilities. Bayern buy anything that looks like class. Hiowever he might work well in teams playing 3 at the back. Here is hoping.

From the highlights I've seen he seems like an excellent attacking option at least. Not sure he's as good defensively as Monreal though. In any case, he's probably better than Gibbs and if we can get some money for Gibbs that means we've replaced him with a better player while making money in the process. Good piece of business.

Not being an upgrade on Monreal means little. Anyone who is an upgrade on Monreal would have to be at or very near the top of the tree for left backs as he really has been a quality signing for Arsenal. If the new bloke from Schalke is as good as Monreal, and not being an upgrade doesn't mean he isn't, then he's going to be bloody good.

Post #471405  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:41 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

I think that's right.

Post #471406  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:41 am 

Hazuki wrote:
dec wrote:
I can't see Arsenal paying €140m for a teenager. It is a monstrous fee. He was certainly very impressive in the CL, but his stats in Ligue 1 are nothing special. 16 goals in 40 games. The frequently laughed at Cavani scored 35 goals in 36 games last season.

Actually, I can only see Wenger paying that kind of money for a teenager. He seems quite obsessed with re-sale value, and even if Mbappe were to flop, we'd easily recoup a big part of the fee 2-3 years later.

I wouldn't get too worked up about the transfer fees this summer, it's all a farce anyway and most of the players who will move will cost more than what we think they should anyway. To be honest I don't care what we pay. If we can sign a talent who has a genuine shot at having an Henry-like impact we should. We have the money.

I agree with that Haz. I recall reading a few seasons ago that we have some transfer funds that are deliberately set aside should a really fantastic player become available and Wenger feels he's worth pursuing.

Perhaps this is one such case, although clearly with a fee in excess of £100m for an 18 year old kid you are clearly gambling that that massive potential is realised.

Post #471407  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:56 am 

warrior wrote:
Like Lauren, unsmiling. Looks like a hard case - let us hope he is.

Post #471408  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:00 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
From the highlights I've seen he seems like an excellent attacking option at least. Not sure he's as good defensively as Monreal though. In any case, he's probably better than Gibbs and if we can get some money for Gibbs that means we've replaced him with a better player while making money in the process. Good piece of business.

Not being an upgrade on Monreal means little. Anyone who is an upgrade on Monreal would have to be at or very near the top of the tree for left backs as he really has been a quality signing for Arsenal. If the new bloke from Schalke is as good as Monreal, and not being an upgrade doesn't mean he isn't, then he's going to be bloody good.

Wenger hasn't managed to make Monreal go downhill? :angel7:

Post #471409  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:05 pm 

socrates wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Actually, I can only see Wenger paying that kind of money for a teenager. He seems quite obsessed with re-sale value, and even if Mbappe were to flop, we'd easily recoup a big part of the fee 2-3 years later.

I wouldn't get too worked up about the transfer fees this summer, it's all a farce anyway and most of the players who will move will cost more than what we think they should anyway. To be honest I don't care what we pay. If we can sign a talent who has a genuine shot at having an Henry-like impact we should. We have the money.

I agree with that Haz. I recall reading a few seasons ago that we have some transfer funds that are deliberately set aside should a really fantastic player become available and Wenger feels he's worth pursuing.

Perhaps this is one such case, although clearly with a fee in excess of £100m for an 18 year old kid you are clearly gambling that that massive potential is realised.

Mo Salah is supposedly going to Pool for 35m. Could be a vrry good buy. His record in Italy is similar to Sanchez's.

Post #471410  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:08 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Wenger hasn't managed to make Monreal go downhill? :angel7:

Unlike what seems like most of his more recent signings, no he hasn't. Shows how good Monreal really was, perhaps.

Post #471411  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:51 pm 

david.d wrote:
laugh all you like but giroud at 15 million was an excellent buy
I agree - he gets too much criticism.

Post #471412  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:11 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

What we've always needed since Henry is a proper striker with blistering pace, aggression, and finishing ability. If we finally get that, who knows? Liverpool almost won the league with Saurez, after all.

We can get a keeper too.

The rest of the squad that Wenger put together looks pretty damned good to me.

Post #471413  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:14 pm 

david.d wrote:

It would have been if we had actually bought the striker we needed and used Giroud as backup/sub. However we didn't so it wasn't.

Post #471414  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:43 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

What we've always needed since Henry is a proper striker with blistering pace, aggression, and finishing ability. If we finally get that, who knows? Liverpool almost won the league with Saurez, after all.

We can get a keeper too.

The rest of the squad that Wenger put together looks pretty damned good to me.

I'd agree with you Decaf that Wenger has actually accumulated a strong squad of players. However, I think that goes some way towards supporting Top Gun's middle paragraph that implies one of his biggest problems these days is not being able to organise them into a winning unit, or one that performs as well as it should do. As I've said before, I genuinely think that if Conte or Pochettino had Arsenal's squad of players last season, with no additions or deletions, they'd have seriously challenged for the title and perhaps even won it. I reckon Wenger is very good at judging or recognising talent. However, when he has such talent under his charge, I'm less convinced he knows what to do with it.

I'm less bothered about getting a new keeper than you, although I would have preferred to keep Szczesny than Ospina. I felt Čech finished the season excellently. Regarding penalties I think his big problem has been diving way to early. If a keeper dives almost before the penalty taker even starts his run up, he makes it too easy to place it where the keeper isn't. But against Tottenham and Everton, the last two Čech faced, he didn't do that. Unfortunately Kane and Lukaku hit practically perfect penalties, hard and low into the corner, to ensure they scored. But many penalties aren't taken as well as those two so if Čech has stopped diving ridiculously early, I think he'll greatly improve his chances of saving one.

Post #471415  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:43 pm 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40173168

Nice of the BBC to report on our new signing with a video of him scoring an own goal v argentina

Post #471416  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:55 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Regarding penalties I think his big problem has been diving way to early. If a keeper dives almost before the penalty taker even starts his run up, he makes it too easy to place it where the keeper isn't. But against Tottenham and Everton, the last two Čech faced, he didn't do that. Unfortunately Kane and Lukaku hit practically perfect penalties, hard and low into the corner, to ensure they scored. But many penalties aren't taken as well as those two so if Čech has stopped diving ridiculously early, I think he'll greatly improve his chances of saving one.

All good points but I would prefer to focus on the outfield players not giving away so many penalties - I think it was 10 last season. There were obviously a few debatable ones but too often the penalty wasn't given away as a result of a last ditch tackle to stop a striker who was through on goal, it tended to be a defender making a rash lunge or bad decision instead of shadowing the player in to a less dangerous position.

Post #471417  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:14 pm 

Happy with the Kolasinac signing. Appears more attacking than Monreal but capable of playing LB or LWB. Given he was voted in the German league team of the season and has champions league experience and is first choice for his country he is probably in the £15m range so to get him on a free is good business.

If we keep all the players we want to keep I would be minded to agree with Wenger that maybe 3 players might be enough for us. Fans always want more players but to bring in a top class centre forward and a Cazorla replacement would leave the squad very healthy with the only problem being which ones to leave.

If the above happened I'd lose Ospina, Jenkinson, Debuchy, Gibbs, Campbell and Sanogo has already gone. Get Jeff and Maitland-Niles on loans to prem clubs. Bring back Szczesny and Chambers from loans.

Čech, Szczesny, Martinez
Bellerin, Chambers, Monreal, Kolasinac,
Koscielny, Mustafi, Mertesacker, Holding, Gabriel
Coquelin, Elneny, Xhaka, Ramsey, Cazorla, Ox, Wilshere
New ACM, Özil, Sanchez, Iwobi, Perez
New Striker, Walcott, Welbeck, Giroud

That is a 28 man squad. Ins and Outs are based on sticking with the 3-4-2-1
There are question marks over the futures of Perez and Wilshere and we could arguably sell both as neither had many minutes for us last season. I think Wilshere will get a new deal to protect his value but Perez may go. The 3-4-3 really suits some players but others like Perez and Walcott don't fit in as well.

Post #471418  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:43 pm 

Decaf wrote:
david.d wrote:

It would have been if we had actually bought the striker we needed and used Giroud as backup/sub. However we didn't so it wasn't.

Well we did we signed Podolski at the same time but the only thing he was good at was selfies

Post #471419  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:49 pm 

Decaf wrote:
david.d wrote:

Decaf with respect.
Its irrelevant whether we bought thr top striker or not. For the type of money we spent on Giroud. He has been an excellent buy and given us value for money. Chronic lack of pace but has still been a great buy.

Post #471420  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:54 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
This is an interesting transfer because on Arseblog or one of the other podcasts a guest from the BBC (I think) was discussing him and they asked what they thought of him. He noted that he was in the team of the season but said he was not an upgrade on Monreal. I know nothing about him but if Bayern weren't chasing him I think that may be indicative of his abilities. Bayern buy anything that looks like class. Hiowever he might work well in teams playing 3 at the back. Here is hoping.

Yes I think he will be better than Gibbs and we do have to look at a succession plan for Monreal.

Post #471421  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:59 pm 

david.d wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Decaf with respect.
Its irrelevant whether we bought thr top striker or not. For the type of money we spent on Giroud. He has been an excellent buy and given us value for money. Chronic lack of pace but has still been a great buy.

I agree he has performed well for the club.

Post #471422  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:20 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
david.d wrote:
Decaf with respect.

I agree he has performed well for the club.

It's a pity Giroud just could not be that top striker we need. With his looks we could have sold millions of his shirt.

Post #471423  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:21 pm 

Goonie wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

We won't sell him to a local rival is pure bluff on Wenger's part ......we don't have any control over where he goes this year or next
apart from keeping at the Emirates ......... and keeping a disgruntled player / missing the fee makes a lot of sense .

Alexis refuses to sign a new contract and Bayern Munich come in with an offer Sanchez refuses to move what do we do ?

That happens we will off load him to whoever this season . Didn't we posture in the same way over van Persie ...?

Sanchez is holding the royal flush Arsene's got a pair of sixes and he's threatening to go all in

Seems like Wenger is confident that both Sanchez and Özil will accept the new contract offered. Hope the increase in salary is not taken out of the transfer fund.

Both players are, I would assume, waiting to see what offers they get and what business Arsenal do early this summer.

Post #471424  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:27 pm 

Barcelona want Bellerin and offer either Turan, Denis Suarez or Rafinha. I want us to keep Bellerin obviously but D. Suarez could be a superstar under Wenger. Wouldn't mind Rafinha either.

Post #471425  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:07 am 

dec wrote:
I can't see Arsenal paying €140m for a teenager. It is a monstrous fee. He was certainly very impressive in the CL, but his stats in Ligue 1 are nothing special. 16 goals in 40 games. The frequently laughed at Cavani scored 35 goals in 36 games last season.

To be fair, half of those were late substitute appearances when Valerie Germain was in a great run of form alongside Falcao, and at which time Mbappe was still 17 and mostly playing on the wing. As soon as he started regularly and up front, his stats were fantastic.

Also, Cavani, for all his wastfulness is one of the best 10 centre-forwards in the world for me. 6 foot 3, quick, strong, good touch, as good movement as anyone at the moment, and for all his missing chances, he scores the greatest variety of goals of anyone I can think of. While capable of missing open goals from 3 yards out, he has an impressive track record of diving headers, deft flicks, acrobatic volleys and 30 yard thunderbolts. If his finishing was as on point as say, and Ian Wright, he'd be the best striker in the world. And he plays in a team that batters most of their opponents.

Post #471426  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:07 am 

Goonie wrote:
Decaf wrote:

It might be a very good signing in that it sends out a big signal, particularly to the fans and the squad. You don't pay 140 million if you are aiming to come 4th. Also, we are not picking up other clubs' rejects, like Özil and Sanchez. It feels like the Reyes signing ... but taking it to another level entirely.

If we spend 140m on 3 players it would send the same message i would think? Imagine Wenger bringing in Isco, James and Morata... hmm maybe we should help RM finance the Mbappe deal.

I'd take Morata in a heartbeat...

Post #471427  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:09 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Actually I don't believe that

They are almost certainly in nice pursuing another player

Surely it's a better option to try and move for bale, Ramsey connection etc and would probably be less

Problem is Bale is (before tax) on 500k p/w. We just can't pay that...though as I said in this weeks podcast, I'd love it...imagine Spurs finally finishing above us and we buy the best player to play for the club in the last 40 years....

Post #471428  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:11 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
warrior wrote:
Like Lauren, unsmiling. Looks like a hard case - let us hope he is.

In which case you'll like him. The guy has two nicknames in Germany. 'The Tank' and 'The Bosnian Hulk'. Opposition wingers have a habit of bouncing off him...and he likes a tackle.

Remember seeing him as a kid in some international games about 3 years ago and liking the look of him. Not always subtle, but a brick of a player with a decent left foot who can run all day.

Post #471429  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:13 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Well we did we signed Podolski at the same time but the only thing he was good at was selfies

And shooting with his left foot. If you could combine Welbeck's mobility, athleticism and workrate with a left foot like Podolski's you'd have a world beater.

Post #471430  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:15 am 

Goonie wrote:
Barcelona want Bellerin and offer either Turan, Denis Suarez or Rafinha. I want us to keep Bellerin obviously but D. Suarez could be a superstar under Wenger. Wouldn't mind Rafinha either.

Barca aren't as loaded as before. I'd make a cheeky bid for Denis Suarez for sure. A bit lightweight but very very talented

Post #471431  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:34 am 

Decaf wrote:
david.d wrote:

Agree on this one

Post #471432  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:00 am 

A few reports suggest that Real are asking 78mil for Morata and refused an offer of 52mil from Man U. So if Bellerin is heading to Barca (another rumour) then I want to see large numbers in that transfer.

Post #471433  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:22 am 

Alexis - Bellerin - Perez out. $150m
Mbappe in. $150m

Post #471434  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:22 am 

Yeah sounds like bellerina is off. One for the "don't sign young Spanish players because they always want to go home " theory

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 75311.html

Post #471435  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:41 am 

lomekian wrote:
dec wrote:

To be fair, half of those were late substitute appearances when Valerie Germain was in a great run of form alongside Falcao, and at which time Mbappe was still 17 and mostly playing on the wing. As soon as he started regularly and up front, his stats were fantastic.

Also, Cavani, for all his wastfulness is one of the best 10 centre-forwards in the world for me. 6 foot 3, quick, strong, good touch, as good movement as anyone at the moment, and for all his missing chances, he scores the greatest variety of goals of anyone I can think of. While capable of missing open goals from 3 yards out, he has an impressive track record of diving headers, deft flicks, acrobatic volleys and 30 yard thunderbolts. If his finishing was as on point as say, and Ian Wright, he'd be the best striker in the world. And he plays in a team that batters most of their opponents.

We forget that Henry wasn't really an instinctive finisher and also used to miss sitters ... including in the CL final.

Post #471436  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:56 am 

david.d wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Decaf with respect.

I agree, David. He's a useful weapon and was worth what we paid. We can't blame Giroud. The issue is whether he fitted what we needed.

That is arguably Wenger's biggest flaw. Since the beginning of his tenure, he has tended to fail to cover glaring squad hole, either by not filling them with the quality required, or by buying square pegs and trying to get them to fit into round holes. That worked spectacularly a couple of times but mostly its meant we've spent the post-2005 period either a midfielder, a keeper (during the Manuel era), central defender, or a striker short.

Post #471437  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:58 am 

lomekian wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

And shooting with his left foot. If you could combine Welbeck's mobility, athleticism and workrate with a left foot like Podolski's you'd have a world beater.

Sadly you can't. You need to find these attributes in one player. And you won't find that player in the bargain basement section.

Post #471438  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:06 am 

Gotta keep Alexis and Bellerin. Gotta fight to keep them. Its the marginal players we need to get rid of. Is Mbappe worth that much? Really? Ive seen him play and he's great. I'd make a cheeky 50 mil bid for Martial for example. even 60 mil I love his upside potential.

I like that we bought a defender. The other 5 main rival sides had a better goals against than we did (44). We had the same as Everton! You have to go 8 deep in the table to find a worse goals against. That's a huge issue with me. Shockingly, Mourinho's Man Utd had the leagues best goals against (29) second only to Tottenham but ended up 6th. Which means they didn't score enough.

Post #471439  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:12 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Yeah sounds like bellerina is off. One for the "don't sign young Spanish players because they always want to go home " theory

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 75311.html

Shouldn't have signed a six year contract then, should he? He may well prefer to go, but I don't get the impression he's agitating as extremely as Fabregas did to secure the move. If I had to bet on it my money would go on Bellerin still being an Arsenal player next season.

Having said that, I doubt he'll be an Arsenal player for too much longer after that. Didn't someone say a while back that Bellerin is more acclimatised to life in London (however he put it) so could stay for the longer term? Can't recall who it was, but I'm fairly sure someone did. Whoever it was, I wouldn't bet that their idea will prove to be right.

Post #471440  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:30 am 

Decaf wrote:
We forget that Henry wasn't really an instinctive finisher and also used to miss sitters ... including in the CL final.

To be fair I've seen far easier chances than that missed by other players, and it was a very fine save. Also how many other 'sitters' can you recall Henry missing? There probably must have been some as every striker, however good a finisher they were, will surely have missed a few over their career. But missing sitters is not something that automatically springs into my mind for Henry.

[ 572035 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11783, 11784, 11785, 11786, 11787, 11788, 11789 ... 14301  Next